2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

LitterMaid Reviews

Original review: May 28, 2015

These LitterMaid Elite aren't so Elite. I was use to my old Scoopable litter box. It lasted for 15 years. I only had to empty the litter tray and that was it. Never fussed about nothing. Everyday I am constantly cleaning out the box and doing what the Elite is suppose to do. I went thru one in about 6 months having issues with it all along and LitterMaid finally replaced it with a refurbished one which I am using now. It is doing the same as the other. (Not cleaning the box out) I looked for the restart switch that you press 13 times after the unit's light has flashed because of a malfunction of the litter tray? I can't locate it and I can't locate the information anywhere online. My unit is too old for them to talk to me now so I am out of luck. These boxes are too expensive and not worth more than $50.

Original review: May 18, 2015

Years ago I had one of the original LitterMaid units and it worked without problems for about 5 years. About 6 months ago I saw the mega unit and with 3 cats I decided to buy the mega unit. This was the biggest mistake that I have ever made. I could have bought 10 conventional litter boxes and had less work to do. Every time one of my cats goes and uses the mega and the unit starts to clean it gets jammed and you have to help move the rake to clean the box. The litterbox has 2 lines on it to show how much litter should be put in. But this does not help. My other litter boxes need to be serviced once a day but the LitterMaid needs to be serviced every time a cat uses it. What a ripoff!

Original review: March 20, 2015

THIS COMPANY IS SO BAD, one could suspect it's a Mafia affiliate. :-) I had a LitterMaid Self Cleaning Litter Box bought about ten years ago. Liked it so well, bought another for my mother. The first one lasted three years. So saying I bought two more, one for downstairs and one for my office upstairs. They lasted about a year. Inherited mother's unit, it lasted three months. Step daughter gave me theirs, it didn't work automatically, then it died.

Wrote LitterMaid asking for schematic so I could troubleshoot the circuit board. They refused saying it was proprietary. What a Joke, about as Proprietary as a YUGO. Reading that they had Increased the motor's power and upgraded the electrics, like a D.A. DIMWIT, I bought two more. They lasted 45 days, both are dead. Checking, I have found that my brother's quit, my daughter's quit, my stepdaughter's quit and my son's quit. The company should sell a kit with a much better & stronger motor and metal replacement gears, then the circuit board would blow. The Better Business Bureau should Blacklist them.

Original review: March 7, 2015

I purchased my second littermaid box three months ago. The first lasted nearly a year and would have lasted longer, but I left for several days and the receptacle became too full. The rake continued its sweep without stopping, so of course the motor burned out. The company was very responsive, but I could not produce a proof of purchase. Now I have moved to a condo and am in closer quarters with the cat, so decided to try again. I spent $89.00 at Walmart and could not be more pleased.

I know now to be alert to motor sounds and to turn off the machine if a clog becomes stuck to the rake. My cat has a varied diet, so her wasted products are varied. If I plan to be away during the day, I turn the machine off and turn it on when I return. I have experimented with different cat litters, finding some too heavy, too dusty, or non clumping. I recently purchased a clumping, 99 percent dust-free litter with baking soda that works perfectly and absorbs odor completely. Keeping the machine free of dust is important, as is following the manufacturer's instructions.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

I have had this pan for a four years and only use it about 1 month each year when we are on vacation. Of course it stopped working, and I am so very careful about cleaning it, using the proper litter, etc. I totally agree with all the comments that this is indeed a piece of junk.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

The rake fills with wastes and has to be cleaned frequently. It does not clean the litter very well. That is why they give you a scoop. The tines do not go to the bottom of the pan. The rake sticks and has to be pushed. You buy a self cleaning litter box to free yourself from constant maintenance. Keep looking there are better alternatives out there. I also believe that Littermaid makes lots of fake positive reviews everywhere.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

I am a new owner of a LitterMaid and the only complaint I have is the need to empty the waste receptacle. The tray is so flimsy I am afraid it will break apart. My cat loves the fact that her litter box is kept clean. In fact, she will urinate and come out to watch the rake work. When the process is over, she goes back in for a second visit. I wish LitterMaid would offer better accessories.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

I purchased a littermaid about 15 yrs. ago because I had like 4 cats using it. I think it would work great if you had fewer cats, lol. I think 4 or more cats are too many because my cats would wait in line and it would not give the rake or the litter time to harden up. Well anyway now I have a new kitty (just one) and was thinking of purchasing a new littermaid but after reading the reviews I decided not to purchase one.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

I ordered a Littermaid 980 self-cleaning litter box and it worked well for almost 6 weeks before the motor started to fail. I had read several reviews that indicated that defective motors were a common problem, but that Littermaid had replaced the motor or product when that occurred, so I decided to take the risk and spent the $120. I carefully followed all of the manufacturer guidelines for recommended litters, litter depth, cleaning, etc, in hopes of avoiding mechanical problems. Alas, within 6 weeks, the motor started to bog down and make awful clicking noises when trying to operate the rake. Soon, the motor burned out completely. When the motor started to fail, I emailed Littermaid and anticipated a simple resolution. Their website promised a response to emails within 72 hours. After three weeks with no response (I was traveling most of that), I emailed again.

A week later, still no response. Same again a week after that. In addition, I made multiple attempts to contact the company by phone, but even though I called well BEFORE the published end of business (5:30pm eastern) midweek, I have only gotten a voicemail message saying I called outside of business hours. At this point, I have no choice but to believe that this company is intentionally avoiding any and all customer contact in order to avoid meeting their warranty obligations. I could not possibly be more disappointed in the product OR in the company. Especially the company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

I have had a Littermaid cat box for the past 20 years and all had been good until about a year and a half ago. The one I had for about 6 years finally gave up so I bought a new one in June of 2013. It worked OK for the first few months but then began to bog down and eventually started making a high clicking sound like the gears were stripping. After that it simply choked. It seemed also that the waste lumps were now much bigger than ever before, and the cats were the same cats. We finally gave up and bought another one. This one started off the same but within a month we were back again to the same problem. I called Littermaid and they sent me out a new box free of charge, but again within a month the same problem. I think they may have cheapened the motor or outsourced to China. They just don't work anymore so I would not recommend buying one.

LitterMaid Company Information