Iams Dog Food
3.75/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Looking for a good dog food brand?

797 Iams Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

I have 3 Bull Mastiffs. About 2-3 months ago, my husband, bless his heart, switched their food to Pedigree. I wasn't a fan, but financially made sense at the time. One of our females started having grand mal seizures. A 110lb dog having a seizure is a scary thing. I attributed the seizures to topical flea treatment. I never, ever thought that the food could be the culprit. 2 nights ago, she had 4 seizures within an hour. Last night, right after she ate her Pedigree food, she had another. That is when it really started to make sense. The seizures started around the same time he switched them to Pedigree.

My male has had a skin issue (bumps, his face looks like a teenager, itching and scratching almost non stop). He is a brindle and they can be probe to skin issues and allergies. So, we didn't think much about the problems. Took him to the vet where he received a rather large injection of steroids and other medications. Surprisingly, our other female hasn't shown any effects, yet.

I immediately called my husband after the seizure last night and told him I was throwing out all of the Pedigree food and to pick up Iams large breed. I have fed Iams in the past to other pets and was always very pleased. I am happy to report, after just 2 feedings, no seizures. I swear, all three already look better. Their eyes look clear and they seem to have more of a bounce. I will never jeopardize my dogs again due to finances. There are other things in our life we can cut back on. If things had continued and if we had continued to feed that horrible food, I am certain we would have lost one of our girls. Who knows what would have happened to the other two. I know it is early to make a correlation between the food and seizures, but I can't help but be convinced. Thank you Iams.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have had dogs for at least 40 years. I’ve always used Iams and have never had to see a vet for any reason but routine care. My dogs have always liked the flavor and I have never had to supplement it with any wet food. My local food store carries it and is very price competitive with dog food chains. I realize no grain food is popular, but I believe it is not the best choice.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We have been using Iams brand for years now. There has been several times I would buy something else just because of commercial or packaging and thought it might be fun for him try. NOPE and No way would he have it. We always went right back to Iams. More importantly, the quality of ingredients are exceptional. Thank you.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Iams Dog Food comes in several flavors for different stages of growth and health of your canine. If switching from one type to another it is best to mix them from the original to the new flavor, gradually increasing the new flavor until the old one is replaced. There have been no digestive issues with multiple dogs or breeds and we have had purebreds and mixed breeds.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My dogs have eaten Iams for over 15 yrs and most people tell me that my dog looks like she is 6 yrs old. I contribute this to Iams, keep up the good work. My dogs Cockers love it. They are spunky and healthy, to people that are starting out on Iams do not settle for other dog foods that have constant recalls due to bad food. Settle for one of the best Iams, also if switching from one food to another you have to give it time and yes your pup will go through some extra potty stops due to change but once your dog eats this food he or she may live to be one of the oldest dogs of their breed as mine will hopefully live till she is 22 yrs old. TY Iams.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: July 7, 2019

Do not order this dog food, $1500 in vet bills. I have been ordering Iams puppy through Amazon for over a year. I received this order about 2 weeks ago and within a day my dog became ill. She continued to get worse, throwing up and becoming lethargic. I finally took her to the vet, she had 105-degree fever and was put on an IV. Since it was Saturday we were then sent to the emergency vet for an ultrasound but they found nothing. During the last week, she became stronger and by Friday she looked like she was doing well. I gave her Iams again and for the first time in a week, she felt well enough to eat it. Within a few hours, she vomited it all up and is not doing well again. This food looked different, a darker color than it usually is. I will never buy dog food through Amazon again.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I purchased Iams small breed dog food on May 25th 2019. By the second time I fed this dog food to my dachshund and my Corgi, my dachshund begin to show signs of distress. I was awakened by her vomiting and severe bloody diarrhea around 3:30 a.m. and by 9 a.m. that morning she was lying in her bed very lethargic. I carried her to the vet. She was dehydrated, severe diarrhea and vomiting. She spent the rest of that day and the next day getting IV fluids and medications. I was very lucky she did not die.

The next day my Corgi started showing the same signs as my dachshund. I started giving her medication prescribed by my vet. She has been very sick with the bloody diarrhea and vomiting. I write this post to warn other pet owners not to purchase Iams dog food. I don't know how this dog food is made but something is toxic to pets. I had to spend $587 in vet bills. I feel like the Iams company should reimburse me for that bill. Plus the purchase at the dog food.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I bought the green bag of IAMS because I heard it was so great for dogs. Couldn’t understand why for 3 weeks my dogs have had terrible diarrhea ... Nonstop for 3 solid weeks. Will never buy IAMS again. It’s the food causing the sickness. I am changing back to the “cheaper” food that kept my dogs poo firm. I want my money back for the huge bag of food I bought, and the money I spent on a brand new area rug because they couldn’t hold themselves from this garbage poison you claim is so amazing. Don’t buy IAMS.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I started feeding my dog Iams Lamb and Rice only because I couldn't afford the regular brand of food I normally get. So I thought I picked the next best option. Within a week of feeding my GSD the food, his eyes became red and swollen and were discharging white pus. He was pacing. My lab was losing weight. Three weeks in and I'm calling the Doc about my GSD eye and some bleeding. Still I didn't put the two things together. Iams and potential problems.

Week four and I picked up a different brand of food. I cooked a home cooked diet also for my dogs. WHAT Happened? Eyes started getting better. Lab started putting weight back on. AHHA! Now it's making sense… I stopped completely. So, without the possiblity of being able to have the Iams food tested, I'm gonna assume that something bad was in the mix. And I won't be using that product again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The dog likes the food, though he doesn't gobble it. It seems to give him enough energy and he looks healthy. His coat is shiny and his teeth are white. The quality seems to be perfect for the price.

Original review: April 12, 2019

11 yrs ago our vet recommend changing from Purina due to the fact it was full of fillers which made the dogs defecate several times a day. Iams also has made it easier to control weight better than the previous brand.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We've always fed Iams to our active Border Collies and they have always done well. They certainly have seemed to enjoy eating it, i.e. it is very palatable. Our impression is that Iams is a high-quality dog food.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Dogs do well on it. Never had a problem. They have gotten ill on other well known brands. Food is available at many places which is good when we are on vacation. Stools are well formed and never any upset stomach issues.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My dog started to dislike canned dog food so I tried IAMS and he has been very happy with it for the past four years. He does not have any problems digesting his food and he is always eager to eat.

Original review: March 27, 2019

For the cost of this food it is reprehensible what they use for ingredients. Meat of some kind should be the main ingredient especially when it comes to weight management. Please make sure to take a look at the first few ingredients of the food you're feeding to your pets. If it is all corn or fillers, move on as it's just not worth it.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My vet recommended I use Iams dog food, and I know why. My dog loves it and it makes her coat beautiful. I've been feeding it to her for almost three years now and I'm very happy except when it runs out at the store and I have to try another brand for a time.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I've fed Iams Proactive Health for small & toy breed for a few months. All seemed to be ok until a couple of months ago. My Chihuahua, about 16 years old, has been having looser stools and straining sometimes to go. Some stools are normal. He's had no other changes and eats heartily. I don't feed table scraps. However, the Papillon, about 8, is fine. No change in his stool and he eats well as always. So I'm going to gradually change them over to a different dry food to see if the situation clears up. I bought Iams on the advice of my vet. I give 3 stars since one is fine & 1 isn't.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I've tried so many different dog foods. It's insane. I have a 3 year old dachshund and a foster dog. My dachshund has dry itchy skin and her hair is thin and falling out, until I swapped to Iams. She has a thick full coat and her skin is better.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I saw Iams on special offer and I never got it before for my 12 year old lab. I fed it to him and I noticed his poop changed consistency that night and I thought - he’s a very hardy dog but hmm maybe it’s a bit rich or something because I thought it was a fancy dog food so maybe it’s got extra vitamins and minerals or something. So I keep feeding him with it. Last night he woke me up barking needing the toilet at 4am and he whined all night (he never does that - he sleeps like me). I didn’t link this to Iams yet at that point. I didn’t have any other food so gave him a small portion in the morning.

When I got home my housemate told me he needed extra poop in the day and was barking at the door to get out. (Again he likes to poop only on two walks a day - not in middle of day) So he looked sad when I got home and didn’t wag his tail (he ALWAYS wags his tail when I come in). So at this point I googled “Iams” and found this website but only after I fed him already ??? oh my god - I see some people’s dogs died! Why is this allowed on the shelves when it is clearly contaminated!!! How do we do something??? I just bought all new dog food and sterilized his bowl and I gave him a bit of Pedigree Chum just so he would have something else in his body to soak up whatever rubbish I gave him. My poor baby - if anything happens him because I fed him this poison I will die. 12 years of love every day and he trusts me to feed him properly. What the hell. Iams need to stop selling this POISON ☠️!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

4 month old red heeler puppy. Healthy, happy energetic on diff brand puppy food. Bought Iams & initially very lethargic after eating, then 2 days of uncontrolled diarrhea - dark, unusually foul smelling. Today my puppy ate a small amount & threw up. Throw up was milky mucus covered & smelled bad. Dog refused to eat anymore. Gave him different food & he devoured it. Hopefully he will be okay now & not die like some of these dogs. Iams dog food is poisoned/contaminated. Do not give this garbage to your animal. Iams should be held accountable for marketing this poison.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I purchased the Iams Proactive puppy dog food on Tuesday, December 11, 2018. Feed it to my dog, on Wednesday morning, December 12, 2018, my dog became very lethargic/lazy. Began vomiting the dog food back up. It was brown with slimy white milky substance, very foul odor. Rushed him to the vet, where he died. I am sure it was the food, that killed my dog. Please don't feed your pet this food.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have an 11-week old Bernese mountain dog and she had been on this food for about 3 weeks. This past week she has had uncontrollable diarrhea that was tarry, smelled horrible, and was very dark brown probably because of blood. Started feeding her rice and chicken and her stool started to get firmer and lighter. So, we feed her more of the Iams proactive puppy and within an hour her stool because tarry, smelly, and very dark again. I will never feed my dog this again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Fed new dog Iams June ‘18-Severe diarrhea and vomiting 3 days -- Got a new dog (rescue) at the end of May, and upon the recommendation from my vet decided to put him on Iams. This sweet boy is part husky and part golden retriever and was 13 months old at the time (May). He spent his whole life chained outside to a large propane tank... He was used to eating everything and anything. Sometimes he got scraps, sometimes he got dog food, sometimes he got nothing. So pretty much, he had a stomach that could handle just about anything. We realize very quickly that it was the Iams that did it... not to mention the fact that he wouldn’t even touch it. Now here we are in early December 2018, and he is doing great A different high-quality brand.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Izzabella Blue is 6 years old and has eaten Iams for the past 4 years. We switched her because the previous dog food almost killed her. Now she is on her deathbed since eating Iams 3 days ago. We had just purchased and opened the large bag. We buy the same every time. She weighs over 100 pounds and is usually extremely healthy and ready for anything. Since Thursday Morning she has been droopy. Friday she threw up clear. Saturday it became dark and bloody looking. Today it's dark watery diarrhea. It's the dog food because she became less droopy Saturday morning until she felt well enough to eat. She didn't eat much and it all started again.

My 8 year old Chihuahua hasn't touched hers thanking God. She's picky and only eats the dog food as more of a snack late at night. She eats people food. I could not afford to feed Izzabella people food, enough to fill her appetite. I believe after the scare this time, she can just eat my share of people food. I'd rather starve than feed her such wretched poison. This is unacceptable... Our pets are our family, our babies. They matter as much as the next. Do you know what it feels like to have given your BaBy the very thing that nearly killed them? I pray no other family is going thru this. Iams do something!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

THIS IS POISON!!! Do not buy this food for your puppy! We fed this to our 12 week old Goldendoodle Oscar on Saturday morning and he died on Sunday afternoon (only 1/2 cup). Within a few hours he was becoming slightly lethargic/lazy. Within 36 hours he died in my husband's arms! Such a traumatic day. We just thought we had worn him out by playing all day Saturday and being on the go. He had a little more food that day, but wasn't really interested. The next morning (Sunday) he woke up and had thrown up. He wouldn't eat, but was still drinking some. Was a little more sluggish so we started to question if something was going on... He had 2 normal poops during the day, but had also thrown up each time. The 3rd poop later that afternoon was dark and possibly had some blood in it, very lethargic by now and within 30 minutes, on our way to the emergency vet, he passed away. So sudden! Do not take the chance.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My 6 year old Yorkie ate some Iams, small dry kibble this morning and within 5 hours was having spells of diarrhea with bright red blood in it and the smell is atrocious. My dog is 5 pounds, his poop is the size of tootsie rolls normally and usually don't smell up the whole house. I know it's from the Iams because last week he ate some and that evening he was throwing up and had bad diarrhea throughout the night and next day. I assumed he might have gotten into something as he is very food motivated. I usually feed him soft Pedigree food with no issues at all.

I gave him the Iams thinking hard food once in a while would be good for his teeth. Iams is poison! Twice I unknowingly poisoned my best friend. No dogs deserve this ever! How can you run commercials stating how wonderful Iams is when you know its absolute garbage that makes dogs sick and sometimes so sick that they die??! Please do not feed your animals Iams, it's not worth it. Seeing your dog bleeding because of dog food you fed him is heart wrenching.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I would not give any stars if that were an option * My mom had a severely sick dog, Lewie. He lost weight rapidly in 2 months and died. She had been feeding her dog Iams dog food for several years. However, this sickness just took place this summer (August 2018). Lewie would not eat, constantly drinking water and very, very weak! My dog, Blue, was starting to do the same... For about 3 days I noticed he was getting thin quickly (He is a 100 pound dog), very lethargic, drinking water constantly, and wouldn't touch the Iams. I switched his food immediately and he came around quickly. Please be very cautious and watch your baby closely. Unfortunately for Iams, we are no longer consumers of their products.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Our 8 month old Pit had severe diarrhea and vomit after one serving of Iams Puppy. She was constantly whining, not knowing her stomach was upset. Around 2-3 am in the morning, diarrhea in her cage. Day 2, she refuse to eat Iams. At that moment, I knew it was the food that cause the constant diarrhea and vomiting for up to a week. The dog food is terrible. Please review dog food before your dog dies or get sick.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Just like the other post my dog started with being really weak and not wanting to eat but his brother was still eating and happy. Then the throwing up brown foam and diarrhea. After getting better not realizing it was the food I tricked him with putting meat in his food. And guess what. I happens all over again. Now I'm stuck with bad food that should not be given to no one. My dogs are 10 years old lab. 70-85 pounds.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We have a 4lb Yorkie that's about 1 1/2 yrs old, and we have a beagle that is average size and 7 yrs old. The last few weeks I have noticed the beagle just laying around, no energy. This week, both dogs have thrown up off and on and had diarrhea off and on. This seemed to subside, to the point that I would make a vet appt and then cancel because the dogs would seem to be ok. I thought maybe they ate a mushroom in the yard, etc. The Yorkie got sick again, so I took her to the vet. The vet ran late, took x-rays, etc., and she could not find anything wrong. She ended up getting fluids, antibiotic and a probiotic. The vet mentioned that perhaps we got a bad batch of dog food.

I started wondering if the food was making both dogs sick. I actually had a brand new bag, so I threw away the old bag and sanitized their food bowls, and poured them a fresh bowl, and the dogs wouldn't go near it. However, they were clearly hungry, like REALLY hungry. That's when I googled Iams recalls and saw so many stories just like mine. I went to PetSmart and told the gal what was going on, and she set me up with a new dog food. Sure enough, both dogs absolutely DEMOLISHED that food bowl. I do believe that there is something wrong with the food that was making both of my dogs sick and I feel incredibly grateful that I didn't lose one or both of my dogs. Please, if your dog gets sick, take it seriously and immediately stop giving them this food.

Iams Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams has been selling dog food since 1946 and today is one of the world's best-known pet food companies. Its goal is to improve the health of dogs all over the world through nutritional offerings.

• Website offers pet health articles: In addition to buying nutritious dog food from this company, consumers can learn about various aspects of dog health on its website.

• Supports both research and innovation: Dog food formulas are derived from up-to-date research about dog nutrition and health as well as from experimenting to see what dogs like and how food affects their health.

• Puppy foods are designed to make dogs more trainable: Puppy food is formulated to help brain development, which improves cognition as well as makes puppies easier to train.

• Develops food for all stages of life: Iams has formulas available for puppies, seniors, middle aged dogs and young adult dogs.

• Runs 120 quality assurance tests on each package: Users can be sure that food is high quality by the time it reaches their shelves.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Dog Food Company Information