2. Pets

Iams Dog Food

Iams Dog Food
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.64/5
Based on 1,148 ratings

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Iams Dog Food Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2020

I decided to try IAMS with my dogs, because the price was lower than other brands I usually purchase, but was told the nutrients etc. were comparable. Never again. My 4 yr old dog has never had issues with other foods, this gave him terrible diarrhea. Came home to more poo on the basement floor, than I thought physically possible for one animal. I feel absolutely terrible that I thought switching would be a good idea, and this was the result. Clearly paying a little more is much more worth it.

Original review: May 15, 2020

We purchased Iams thinking it was a good brand. After the second meal my dog started shaking, panting excessively, vomiting and had diarrhea. We thought she'd just eaten something revolting on her walk. The following day we tested her stomach and gave her chicken and rice. She was fine. The day after that we fed her Iams again, and again she was shaking, panting and this time was passing fresh liquid blood in fairly large amounts. She was extremely distressed and in obvious abdominal pain.We have now changed her food to a cheaper brand she has had before and she is back to her normal bouncy self. I truly think if we had continued with Iams it would have killed our dog.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I have two small Yorkie mix dogs, and recently switched them to what I thought was a better grade of food. I put them on Iams Small Bites, and they both got very ill, with diarrhea and vomiting. It was a couple days before I realized it was their new food, I gave them chicken and rice to settle their stomachs and took them off of the Iams. This food is very dangerous for your pets. It should be recalled at the very least.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Absolute disgusting. I am so upset to read the other poor owners and their animals that have had to go through this ordeal too. My chihuahua has been on IAMS for his whole life 7 years AND when we opened the chicken and rice small bag the other day we found a Congealed piece of what it looked like food and infected food inside our dog's food. We use a container to keep the food fresh so after week of feeding my dog this three times a day we got down to this contaminated piece and now we've paid the price.

…****Six vets trips in total now since 16-01-2020. A very unwell pet, antibiotic injections three times now. Tons of hills id dog food. 2 lots of blood tests. Ultrasounds and xrays now on the cards because my beloved animal has been poisoned. I had no issue at all with Iams but now you've made us all super stressed anxious and upset for two weeks solid of my dog been unwell everyday.

Side effects:

Nausea
      Sickness and DIARRHEA
      Acting strange behaviour
      Blood in stool

Chest on floor, bum in air, tail under bottom (painful and uncomfortable dog)

SO never again IAMS. Thanks for causing me and my family upset and our dog pain. Still today he has been up the vets again as they are giving him Anti sickness, antibiotics and specialised blood testing. Lucky for us money compares nothing to the love of our beloved family pet however I am absolutely disgusted to see others having this issue. How upsetting, heartbreaking and stressful. C. **

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

We have had our dog on the large breed, ProActive Health (green bag) for 5 years with no problems. He is now 9, so we thought we would move to the senior/mature formula. We started this about two months ago. Immediately when we started to mix a little in with his current food, his stool started getting softer. We also got a new foster/adopt pupper at the same time, so we thought it may have had something to do with stress or just the additional treats he was getting. His stool got softer as we mixed in more of mature formula.

Once we had him fully transitioned after about a month of gradually increasing the new and decreasing the old, he had a couple of nights where he either woke us up to go outside, or if he couldn't wake us, pooped on the bathroom floor. It was very runny and sickly looking. After three nights of this, we immediately switched him back to his old formula. His stool improved right away, with no more late night accidents. We now have him back on the green bag IAMS, though after reading some of the reviews here, I think we may be changing that, too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Have used IAMs for a year. Usually get small bites chicken or low fat. I have a German Shepherd and four little dogs. Two of my dogs gave bad stool. Smells bad too. It’s runny and just awful. My German Shepherd won’t eat it. I thought they got into something but couldn’t figure out what. Nothing was there to get. So I started researching and found I’m not the only person having this issue. I started giving my dogs rice with chicken broth to cleanse their little systems out. I am calling IAMs too. Looking for a new dog food. Don’t get this dog food.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Just like everyone else we brought home this food and the same 24 hr period my dog woke us up twice to go outside with diarrhea. Next night the same.... I decided to look and see if anyone else had the same problem with Iam’s and sure enough.... This food should be pulled from the shelves.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I opened a new bag of Iams mini chunks for my dog. There is something about the shape of the chunks that seems different. I am wondering if the formula/ingredients have changed. My dog became violently ill, vomiting the food mixed with heavy mucus and bile. I took her off the food and put her on rice. She started doing better. After a couple days, I started mixing the Iams back in and now she has terrible diarrhea. Is there a recall? I’m seeing similar posts here. I’ll be switching from the Iams.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I just started giving my dog Iams chicken (green bag) a few months ago. I noticed she was getting constipation/diarrhea. I thought she just had a sensitive stomach. It kept getting worse where I had to be standing outside with my dog for hours for her to have diarrhea and vomit. She lost lots of weight and being lethargic within a week and wouldn't drink any water. I started feeding her chicken and rice for about 5 days and she is already looking fuller and normal. So, Thanks for making my dog so sick. It was hard seeing her go through that... Also wtf are you putting in this food.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

So this is my experience. I have two dogs one young Great Dane and a 7 year old pitbull. They both have ended up with severe diarrhea. Uncontrollable diarrhea. Not just one day of it but a whole week of shampooing carpets and cleaning out kennels along with unstoppable trips outside to use the bathroom. It has been a nightmare. At first I thought maybe a stomach flu caught them but nope. I ended up making a huge batch of chicken and rice to feed them for 4 days which made them back to normal. But when I gradually started mixing the dog food back in guess what.... Diarrhea has struck once again. Confirming it is in fact this dog food causing it. I am extremely upset with the fact that this is happening and seeing everyone else's reviews showing we are not the only ones experiencing this. We buy the green bag of Iams.

Iams Pet Foods author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams has been selling dog food since 1946 and is one of the world's most recognizable pet food companies. Its goal is to improve the health of dogs all over the world through nutritional offerings.

• Website offers pet health articles: In addition to buying nutritious dog food from this company, consumers can learn about various aspects of dog health on its website.

• Supports both research and innovation: Dog food formulas are derived from up-to-date research about dog nutrition and health as well as from experimenting to see what dogs like and how food affects their health.

• Puppy foods are designed to make dogs more trainable: Puppy food is formulated to help brain development, which improves cognition as well as makes puppies easier to train.

• Develops food for all stages of life: Iams has formulas available for puppies, seniors, middle aged dogs and young adult dogs.

• Runs 120 quality assurance tests on each package: Users can be sure that food is high quality by the time it reaches their shelves.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Dog Food Company Information