Iams Dog Food
3.73/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Looking for a good dog food brand?

801 Iams Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Our precious Bernese Mountain Dog, Sophie, enjoys her IAMS each and every day. We feel good feeding her this brand because it has all of the nutrients that her system needs. Nothing but the best for our fierce and lovable Sophie!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I use Iams Pate wet food as a supplement to dry food for my rescue Chihuahua. She was less than a pound when we rescued her. She has gained almost a pound but still is a bit too thin.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I have always trusted and used Iams for a long time with my pets, the ingredients are always pure and natural with no corn and just vegetables and poultry. No by-products.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I switched from Pedigree to Iams about two weeks ago. About two weeks after I bought the Iams Mini Chunks three of my five dogs got sick. Vomiting, bloody stool, not eating and lethargic. The first two were a Mini Dachshund and a Yorkipoo. They were very sick. Then our 12 year old Lab started having seizures, couldn’t walk, throwing up, not eating, lethargic and very sick that he going to make it. We nursed them all back to health. My daughter switched at the same time and one of her five dogs has been vomiting and has bloody stool. That’s four dogs out of ten so far that have gotten sick. We bought the food in two different places sometime in October. I am hard to convince but now I have seen it really happen. Don’t take a chance, don’t buy it.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Iams Dog Food is reasonably priced and healthy for her. It is small pieces for her to eat and she eats it with a little mayo. She's been on it 2 years. The higher priced dog foods I can't afford and Wal-Mart don't sell it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We have served our dogs Iams for over forty years (four standard poodles in sequence). They all lived their fully expected lifetimes. 12 to 13 yrs. Energetic athletes, mentally stable and intelligent, and affectionate companions. And one has to attribute feeding Iams through the years to that.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have been feeding my dogs IAMS Mini Chunks for decades. Recently, about 6 weeks ago, my 7 y/o German Shepherd, Sebastian, has started having violent seizures. After countless and costly vet visits and medications, we were told that Iams has changed their formula and to change his diet. We did and now we must wait and see. Sadly, Sebastian must endure these violent attacks. The attacks are so horrific and traumatizing. I wouldn't wish this on any fur-baby. Please check with your vet, before it's too late.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have used Iams since 2000, for 3 different dogs. I spent 2 years working at Iams headquarters and main plant and gained 1st hand knowledge of their processes and ingredients, research and mission. It is a good value and easy to find at major pet retailers.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We have given my dog IAMS for over 9 years. My dog was 11 years old at the time he got sick. He had been a healthy dog his whole life. We were feeding him the purple bag mature adult formula at the time he got sick. One day out of the blue he became very lethargic and something was wrong with his central nervous system. He could not walk correctly and had shallow breathing during the night. He also throw up and I inspected it and it appeared to be only dog food. The next day we took him to the vet they did a blood test, after reviewing blood results vet asked if our dog was poisoned... We thought and said no... After thinking... I thought all dog ate was dog food. We rarely did table scraps.

I then recalled seeing IAMS having different colored kibbles. Bag was also different. We gave my dog food from new bag for 2 weeks. My dog's health went downhill fast. Diarrhea, bloody stool, spleen enlarged. After large vet bill my dog did not make it. I looked online and found this forum. If you suspect IAMS is getting your dog sick please change right away. My dog first got sick early/mid Oct and was put down end of Oct. I do not know for sure if IAMS caused my dog to get sick but I have a gut feeling it may have especially after reading all the very similar accounts. I also believe others may have similar problems but have not written a review.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I just want to let everyone know that this dog food is well worth the money. Everyone should have one goal and that's is for a healthy dog. Iams ProActive definitely does what it says. My girl is so much better with Iams. Soon as I put her bowl down she doesn't lift her head till the bowl is empty. A massive paws up from our Kasey.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My dog is dead. I bought a new bag of IAMS Mini Chunks (with the new 2 tone kibble) approximately 10 days ago. Both of my dachshunds have eaten this since birth. My 9-year-old dachshund got sick after about 5 days, was throwing up and pooping blood. I took him to the vet and came home with 5 prescriptions. At the time, my 4-year-old dachshund was fine. Yesterday, my 4-year-old dachshund started to show the same symptoms, while my 9-year-old showed improvement. I woke up this morning and my 4-year-old dog was dead. I now wait to see if my 9-year-old makes it. The symptoms are the same as in every one of these reviews. If I had only seen this sooner... my heart is broken. And I feel that it’s my fault for feeding her this poison called IAMS.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I've been feeding my rescue Beagle this brand exclusively since I've had her. This recent purchase in October made her sick and vomit about an hour after eating. Every time she ate she got sick, I made a vet appointment and changed her diet and she stopped getting sick. Nothing but changing diet made her better. I feel like this must be a bad batch of Iams Mini Chunks.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Our 8 1/2 year old boxer has been eating Iams Proactive Mini Chunks since she was a pup. About 1 1/2 years ago we switched to Mature Mini Chunks without any problems. I recently purchased two 30 lb. bags of Mature Mini Chunks and after one day of opening the bag, our boxer vomited immediately after eating. She refused the food at her next feeding. The next day she was lethargic and refused any attempt at food. She drank water extensively.

We immediately took her to the vet who told us it was some sort of toxin. She continued to get sicker so our vet recommended that we take her to the University of Georgia Veterinary School for extensive testing. After numerous tests and a blood transfusion, she continued to decline. They said she would probably live another 48 hours if they pumped her with glycerin, but wouldn't survive as her liver was too damaged. We decided to put her down as she was suffering so much. It was the hardest thing we've ever had to do! One day she was fine and healthy, the next she was dying.

UGA asked us if we wanted to have the food tested but we declined as it would not bring her back. Today I read all the reports on this website and contacted UGA to see if they still had the food. They did, so we are now having it tested by an outside company that they recommended. So far we have spent $2,700 in vet bills and still don't have an answer. When we get the report back on the testing, I will post the results. Meantime, we are heartbroken and if we find that it is the food and Iams has ignored all the able claims, we will take appropriate action.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Approximately 10 days ago I purchased a bag of Iams Dog Food for mature adult dogs (purple bag). My 12 year old Scottish Terrier has been on Iams her entire life. I first noticed she had very soft stools, now she is up every three hours during the night crying and shaking and squirting brown watery stools. I decided to look online to see if anyone else had reported anything similar. Now after reading the latest reports, I am horrified! PLEASE share if anyone else is experiencing the same. Iams needs to know this is going on!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I have used Iams for ten years. I have six year old Pomapoo and an 11 year old Maltipoo. My older dog got sick first and didn't eat anything for four days. He finally got better. Now my six year old has the same sickness, throwing up and diarrhea. It seems like food poisoning, they have had a hard time. I use the dry lamb and rice and canned wet lamb and rice and ordered them from Chewy. I have taken them off both since reading all the reviews.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I just wanted to find out what others have experienced. My dog was on IAMS dog food for 8 years. I wouldn’t buy anything else. This July some symptoms were starting and by August I found out there was a tumor on his spleen as well as a few others in his body. I went to sell the 3/4 full of a 50lb bag of dog food on OfferUp and someone told me I could take it back to Costco for full price. Then proceeded to say it was making their dog and a friend's dog sick... they thought. So I did some research and I’m not happy with the results. I am devastated that I have him the dog food for so long.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

We have 2 dogs who eat Iams mature adult diet dog food. With a recent bag (purchased at some time in October 2017), both dogs have developed diarrhea and need to go outside very very frequently to relieve themselves... when they make it that far. This has been going on for about a week. Having seen a few similar and recent reports, I wanted to add my experience. We have a vet visit scheduled for both today. There is no guarantee that the dog food is the reason, but I've owned multiple dogs for over 30 years and never had both come down with the same problem. If I am able to isolate the cause, I will try to amend this post... certainly if it turns out that the food is not the problem.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have been feeding Iams for over 10 years and my dogs have done great until recently. I purchased a new bag in September from Chewy.com and it looked a little different from the previous order. The bag was different, and the kibble was two different colors - light and dark. Both of my dogs became sick, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of energy. I thought it might have been a bad batch or something so I picked up a small bag from the grocery store. Same changes in the bag and food, but my dogs' tummies seemed to settle after a few days. The lingering change I noticed in my dogs was their stool was soft and was not seeming to get better. After looking at other reviews online, I decided to change food to a different brand altogether and everything is getting better. No vomiting, normal poop, energy back to normal. I have been a loyal Iams customer for over a decade and never had any problems, but there is an issue with the recent change in food.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have been using Iams Lamb & Rice for 7 years with no issues. The end of August I bought a bag and immediately noticed the color of the kibbles were different than the previous bag. Prior to feeding it to my furbabies I contacted Iams with my concern and was told that they tweaked the formula to make the product better. I was assured that the color change was just part of the new product change. I did comment that when the formula changes there should be something on the bag that states it.

Now all that being said, after a few weeks I noticed one of my babies started licking his paws & scratching a lot. No he does not have fleas or anything, it was more like an allergy so we gave him some medication which seemed to help. We are now on our second bag of new formula Lamb & Rice and the licking and scratching is getting worse and now continuing to the other two. After reading some of the issues other are having with this new formula I think it is safe to say I need to change foods because apparently there is something in this new and improved formula that is not agreeing with dogs. After all this time they should have left it alone.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My dog has been on Iams for a long time. I purchased a new bag on Thursday and he started throwing up after eating it. I don't feed him anything else (scraps etc). I feel the food is tainted. He is drinking and holding down water. Iams Mature Adult - purple bag.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

New mini chunk from Costco causing kidney failure. Stop using this dog food. My 1 year old golden almost died because of it. The blood work shows kidney failures and he had all similar symptoms everyone was talking about here. After 2 days of fluid flush and a lot of injection, finally he is back to normal. I will stop using it and take necessary actions to make sure the public is aware of it.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My dogs started having tummy problems soon after we noticed a change in our Iams lamb and rice formula. My dogs have been vomiting, having diarrhea, and now are up with horrible, painful gas all night. Looking at Iams Facebook page, I can see they have been aware of a possible issue since September of 2017, but have not issued a recall. Others have changed food brands and had success in getting health back to their pups. I recommend not feeding Iams to your dogs until Iams gets this disaster figured out!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We purchased a new bag of Iams puppy food and started giving it to our dog. By Friday he began acting lethargic and by Saturday he has begun throwing up. After seeing all the other bad reports on here I have taken my dog off of this and started Whole Earth farms food hoping to solve this problem. Our dog also had a bad spell in August of throwing up and diarrhea and wondering if it was also connected to the food. We have been feeding our pup Iams puppy for 4 months.

Updated on 11/28/2017: I had posted a review on Iams food back on Oct 15 and I just wanted to give an update. After taking my puppy off of Iams and switching to another brand he became almost immediately better. The throwing up and diarrhea and lethargy all came to an end. I truly believe the Iams puppy was making him ill. I am afraid to think what would have happened had we not switched his dog food in time. I urge anyone that is currently feeding their dog this to please read this and take your dog off this food if you see problems. My puppy that was so sick when eating this food is now a happy playful puppy and thriving after switching to a new dog food brand.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I had a very bad experience with Iams Dog Food. My 8 month old puppy has been eating it since she was two months old. Suddenly she got very ill. She started throwing up, had bad diarrhea and was constantly licking her paws!! It took me two days to realize it may be the new bag of Iams dog food we purchased. I decided to Google Iams dog food causing diarrhea and vomiting... I couldn't believe what I was reading. I immediately got rid of the Iams and purchased Blue Dog Food. She couldn't be doing better. Please if you feed your dogs Iams stop!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My dog was diagnosed with Inner and outer ear infection which was secondary. He was diagnosed with a food allergy after practically making his own paws bleed for chewing them so much, and never being settled. He has never been on any other food, other than Iams puppy and adult food. He's now on day 4 of prescription diet and he is considerably better!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have used Iams dog food with my dogs since they was puppies which is going on 13 year. This past time I bought it something changed. In September they started throwing up and having severe diarrhea. After reading on this site others having the same issues I bought a different brand and it stopped. Please if you are feeding the mini chunks stop. My elderly dogs have been very sick and I would want anyone to lose their pets over this food. I think it's this food off the shelf and give people their money back. I just bought a 50lb bag but I won't be buying it anymore.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

PLEASE, if you have any doubts about this food, stop using it immediately. Return it and call IAMS. I purchased this food and it smelled fine and my dogs seemed to love it. After introducing this food, my dogs were pretty gassy, which we thought was normal for a food change. Then, within a week there was vomiting, violent diarrhea, diarrhea included leg paralysis and blood in the stool. It started with my 6 year old and I didn't make the connection. When my younger dog developed the symptoms I realized what was wrong, stopped the food, introduced rice and then a limited ingredient food, and they seem to be on the mend.

Unfortunately, I also fed this food to my older dog and have serious concerns that it accelerated his death. He died while all of this was happening. PLEASE, if you have any doubts about this food, stop using it immediately. Return it and call IAMS. I contacted IAMS and they were concerned. I haven't heard back from their product safety team.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My healthy German Shepherd dog died last Wednesday after feeding IAMS Proactive Large Breed Dog Food from Costco. I have fed it to her for 10 yrs with no problems. She was a healthy female competing in Utility Obedience. After opening a new bag, She began diarrhea and vomiting. Called on 8/28/17 and asked IAMS if they had anyone complaining about vomiting and diarrhea with their dogs. The women said no, but they had changed the ingredients and sometimes that upsets the dogs stomachs... I looked at the bag and there is no reference to any change. I said , "Why don't you alert the consumer." She said that was a good iidea and would mention it and would send me two coupons for more dog food. The dog food had two different colors of kibbles which the past dog foods didn't.

After about 5-6 days of being on 4 different medicines and I/D dog food from the vet. She got better for 2 weeks while eating only I/D Food. I took her back for the follow up and to do 2nd blood test with my vet. Back to normal again... While not eating the IAMS, only I/D food... I was told that I could reintroduce dog food back into her diet so I gradually did that and was out of town for 3 days. My dog stayed at the dog sitters and was eating the IAMS mixed with the I/D, because IAMS said it was fine. When I came home, She had developed another round of diarrhea and vomiting and wouldn't eat the food anymore. Went to the vet and came home with the same medicines as before only to find her dead. I am having an Autopsy to figure out exactly what happened. But every thing is pointing to the IAMS DOG FOOD Large Breed Green Bag Sept 2018 722D1NEA03 15:25 US30940.

10/5 I called IAMS a second time, to tell them she had died and asked again... If they had any reports on dogs dying, having diarrhea or vomiting? Again they said no. I was beginning to feel I had been lied to, when a friend from the GSD club directed me to this site. It confirmed the lies. Had they been honest from the beginning with the reports that I see in this consumer report, I would never had reintroduced the dog food that they said had just some more fruit and vegetables added to it. I need answers now.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My little dog as recommended by the vet has ate only Iams Dry Mini Chunks all her life. Well we got a bag. It looked different but we didn't think much of it. Well we do now. Within hours dog is throwing up. The way she went after this dog food to eat literally scared my husband and myself. She started eating it like the company had put something in it to attract a dog's appetite. I will be calling my vet again today. Please I have the whole bag if you need testing. Help the innocent animals.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have a 10 year old ole English bulldog who has been eating IAMS ProActive dog dry dog food for several years. I bought her a new bag recently and like others have noticed there are 2 different kind of chunks in it now. Light and dark, not just light. She started throwing up right after eating it. I just thought her stomach was upset because she hadn't eaten all day and drank a lot of water really fast. After day 3 of throwing up, she doesn't want to eat her dog food. I started to google IAMS and dogs throwing up and then I seen this page. She is doing like all the other dogs. Licking her paws more than usual and throwing up and wanting to drink a lot of water. I am taking her off this dog food tonight. Seems they have done a formula change that is making several dogs sick.

Iams Dog Food Company Information