2. Pets

Iams Dog Food

Iams Dog Food
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Iams Dog Food Reviews

Original review: Jan. 12, 2012

My cats have been throwing up daily from eating Iams dry cat food. I fed my cats the Iams dry food for many years. I trusted the name and never imagined that the food could be the reason that they have been sick and throwing up so much. It had become a daily problem. I too thought that it were hairballs and treated them regularly with petromalt.

After no improvement and researching the possible causes, I discovered that it was the iams food that was making my cats sick! I switched to a higher quality food (read the ingredients) without the fillers that Iams added to its foods. My cats have not thrown up once since the change! They were unable to digest Iams cheap fillers (corn was the worst) and became sick as a result. Iams had these in all their foods and should be ashamed to deceive pet owners into thinking they were choosing a quality product. Get your pets off of Iams and you will see the difference!

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams, and we are happy to talk with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2011

This is so disgusting and makes me ** angry that this company has not been sued and went out of business because of their poisonous dog food. My new German Shepherd puppy was eating Diamond Large Breed Puppy food for quite some time until I moved here to Panama City where there is none. I decided since I ran out of that kind of food, I would switch her to Iams Large Breed Puppy food because it was within local distance to get it and not that expensive plus I thought it was a trusted food. Boy, was I wrong.

My dog has been lethargic, having diarrhea, yellow mucous in her stools, won't pee. Now, she has been on it for 2 weeks, won't eat or drink. I also noticed she has purplish gums, not good which means serious illness and I will be taking her to a vet asap. She is usually a very good eater and drinker and this just pisses me off bad that this food has no warning label or is even allowed on store shelves. Whomever said that if these were humans dying, they would take it off the shelf. I believe that is right. I am so scared that she is not going to make it and die especially since she is so loved and was an early Christmas present for my daughter who will be very disappointed and lost without her too. I will be suing this company if this does happen because it is so not right and I see that many people have similar complaints.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2011

A good friend of mine recently switched to Lams dog food and her three dogs became violently ill (lethargic, vomiting, stooling liquid blood). They all recovered within a few days and the vet said they're blood work was fine. I had been dog sitting another friend's 11 year old 4 pound Pomeranian who then became extremely ill with the exact same symptoms. Although we did not feed him the Lams, he may have gotten into something one of the other dogs vomited outside or something. However, he came down with severe pancreatitis and was on the verge of death and had to be hospitalized for three days. Luckily he fully recovered. I just thought it was unusual that he had the exact same symptoms as the other dogs. The vet said all the dogs probably ate the same thing that made them ill, but the older, smaller dog's pancreas took a harder hit due to his size and age. The only thing we can think of is the Lams food. What is going on with this?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2011

I have had some problems with my cats vomiting after eating. My ten-year-old female died of kidney failure at age ten a few years back. One now has a tumor growing in his jaw with but have a few weeks to live, and I have tons of the little brown bugs in their dry food dish from the latest bag of Iams that I bought. I am appalled and outraged thinking I was feeding my beloved pets good nutrition over the years.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Dec. 7, 2011

We had switched, as our dog got older to the senior Iams, and she immediately started going downhill with urinary tract issues, and kidney and liver failure. We have switched to 1+, and the symptoms have started to go away, also with heavy doses of antibiotics and medication she will have to take for the rest of her life. She is 12, and was very happy go lucky, before she was put on the Senior Brand. Our other two year old, which we rescued, was also put on the 1+, and also has become very aggressive. Most likely, we will be switching brands, due to both reasons. I should have read the complaints, before using Iams.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2011

Within one day of eating Senior dog food, my dog is dying. One day ago, he was running around acting like a puppy and now, my 12-year old dog is dying in front of my family from eating a new bag of IAMS senior dog food. If he dies, I will not forgive this company, ever.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Nov. 26, 2011

I bought a 40 pound bag of Iams dog food, because it is supposed to be one of the best brands for dogs, as I was told. It made their bowels loose and runny. Now, they won't eat it. The store won't take it back, because the bag has been opened. How can I get a refund?

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Nov. 25, 2011

I heard good things about Iams so I decided to switch my cat to it. I am using Iams Hairball & Weight Control for Indoor Cats 1 year +. Ever since I have switched, about two weeks ago, he has thrown up once, but has become slightly aggressive, and extremely hyper, jumping up on everything, going under my house, and meowing like crazy, and run away when you let him in the house. This is the cat I've had for three years, and he was not aggressive, and very, very lazy, not wanting to jump, and would come to you when called. I am very unimpressed. Once this bag is gone, I am not buying another one.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Nov. 15, 2011

My dogs have been on Iams for 12 years. We wanted to try the Senior Dog Premium Protection due to their age. Every time they ate the dogfood, they would choke on it and hacked it out. Our dogs are free fed and do not gulp down their food. I never complain but wanted you to be aware of this issue. Fearful that my dogs would choke, I went back to the Large Breed Proactive Health which kind of hurt having to buy two bags of dogfood within a few days due to being on a very tight budget. My dogs have done great on Iams for 12 years and we won't change brands. Thank you.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Nov. 12, 2011

My cats have eaten Iams Lamb and Rice for years. They changed the food dot chicken and rice. Without warning, they have now changed the shape of the food and possibly the food formula. My cat who has had a few teeth pulled cannot chew the new food shapes and my kitten doesn't like it.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

Our 3 year old English Bulldog is an epileptic, on medication. We started feeding her a new bag of Iams weight loss food, and within hours, she started having violent seizures. My husband refused to believe it was Iams. She was fed Iams again, that night and morning, until I insisted he stop feeding her that bag.

She had seizures every two hours, for two days, from the start to finish of feeding her Iams. She stopped that second evening, after we stopped feeding her the bag of Iams. I'll post when the blood work comes back.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

My Jack Russell is having joint problem at 10 years. I have seen a post that says Iams dog food gave their dog melanoma. I'm sure you were looking for a cause and I'm so sorry for you lost. I am a 54-year old male and I have stage 3 melanoma caused by the sun, so I have read so much on it. Light-haired dogs can get melanoma like me. I just want to let you know that food does not, by far, cause melanoma. I'm not an Iams promoter, just wanted to say don't blame the food for melanoma or we would all be gone.

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams. Thank you for your comments. Please accept our sincere wishes for your Jack Russell. Your Jack Russell might benefit from one of our diets formulated with Glucosamine, which helps promote healthy joints. If you would like to discuss this with us, please feel free to call us at 800-525-4267 .

Original review: Oct. 26, 2011

My dog died of melanoma which began at his paw then spread to his lungs. I have no evidence or proof that it was the Iams but I assume it was. Dog food manufacturers should show nutrition facts on their bags. They should also allow visits or provide video to see how their food is made or processed. They should also provide the company who they purchase meat/chicken/fish from (if they purchase from an outer source). The laws in this country need to change and we all need to speak up for our loyal friends who can't.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

My cats have all been eating Iams Hairball Control. But I have noticed in the last six months more hairballs.

My Teacup Persian passed away 2 wks ago. He was only 4 yrs old; I miss him dearly. Hind sight is 20/20. I put off switching food cause I trusted it (IAMS). With 2 other cats, it's hard to keep track of which one has hairballs.or throwing up. Please put this up, so others don't have to go through an unnecessary loss of a pet

Original review: Oct. 12, 2011

Their dog cookies have worms in them. We noticed it one time. We thought it was a glitch. We bought some more recently. Again, there were more live worm larvae. It's disgusting. We have found this similar complaint on a variety of websites from other people. IAMS should make sure they clean up their process and seal the ** cookies inside the boxes.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Oct. 11, 2011

I just wanted everyone to be aware that my very healthy and active cat passed away on September 1, 2011. Her autopsy verified that she died of renal and pancreatic failure. She was starting to show signs of liver cancer, with her liver and kidneys shutting down. The veterinarian and with the help from the internet, also verified that it was directly or indirectly caused by the food she ate. When I mentioned that she ate Iams to the vet, he claimed that it was poison to my pet. So, I killed my cat; wait, Iams killed my cat. How dare they sell stuff that will poison animals which would result to their death. I will never buy any product from Iams again. Shame on you Iams.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2011

The last 2 bags of 40-pound Iams Large Breed Weight Control have had live worms that have hatched out of the food chunks and become small black beetle like bugs. I called Iams consumer relations. I was sent a coupon for another bag and had same thing in it too. I have one yellow lab that we have had since a puppy. At about 4 years, it started having seizures. Vets can't seem to find the problem. I just read of someone else with that symptom in their dog too. I now think it might be the food. Our other dog began to shun the food and now feel it is the food too. I found that the worm larvae had hatched out from the chunks. And I found live worms in the bottom of the packages. The little black beetle like bugs that our pest control man says is from the worms. I've now changed to Science Diet dry food. We'll see if our yellow lab's seizure stop or not. I didn't call Iams on the second bag as I decided to change food brands. I shudder when I think of our dogs eating some of these chunks that have had the worms in the food!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2011

My beloved Sheltie died due to cancer in the liver, kidney and lymph nodes. He is only 9 years old. We fed him only Iams Mini Chunks from day 1 as recommended from the store. My vet told me to google Iams and I was shocked and disgusted that this company is still allowed to sell dog food. I am out several thousands of dollars and my best companion ever. I will never use Iams again nor will anyone I know.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2011

I went into Walmart and purchased lots of Iams cat food, which I do receive an overage on! I donate the cat food to shelters as I do not have a cat! The coupon did say only four per shopping trip but they normally still ring it all together. Today, I was told that I can only use four coupons, so I said, "Okay, I will go to my car and come back in." They said no, that I could only get four a day! The coupon said four per shopping trip not four per day! I truly believe that Walmart hates coupon shoppers! I did talk to the store manager. She said that four a day would be enforced and that she had the right to limit anyone! So, if I go in there and buy four, and I go back at night, then they are going to say "sorry, you have bought your four today?" Give me a break!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2011

My perfectly beautiful Roman Bengal cat just passed away on July 03, 2011. He was a strong and healthy 3-year old boy with no previous history of illness until I started feeding him Iams ProActive Health kibble and canned food. I only had him for a total of 8 months and I only fed him this food. The food poisoned him so bad that everyone thought he had cancer. The tests were inconclusive to this and his symptoms were the same as others have written. I am deeply saddened by all this as I had no idea Iams was poisoning my beloved pet the whole time. I am interested in someone contacting me on what may further be done as I have amassed 5-7K in vet bills.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2011

I have always used Iams puppy for all my dogs. Within the last four years, I have lost my pitbull, Tinkerbell, to two different fatal types of cancer.

I asked the vet how this could be possible, as she was always on schedule for vet appointments and shots. The vet said that the breed was known for getting cancer. Tinker was only eight years old when I had to put her down. I thought I would die.

Today, (9-2-11), I found out that my 11-year old lhasa apso maltese mix has lymphoma, and only has three months left, six months is a stretch. I have been feeding him (Jack) Iams puppy his entire life. He once had parvo, but thankfully he survived!

I have to admit that the only thing the two of my pets had in common is the Iams puppy food. My daughter found a website full of complaints regarding Iams and pets passing from cancer, organ failure, or bleeding to death internally. I have an 11-month old Jack Russell named Maggie...she will promptly be taken off Iams and switched to something else, as soon as Jack passes.

If this were human food or medication, the FDA would be all over this. So where is the help for our pets? Why is someone not watching and regulating our pets' food, and what's in it? If you can go to jail for animal cruelty, why can't someone regulate and watch out for our pets? I was always told that "Iams is the best food, less backyard pick up because the dog digests all the nutrients", they also absorb whatever it is that is killing our pets.

We as the "owners" of our "pets"/ children need to be watched over with regulations and someone to help us!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2011

My cat has been sick, vomiting and loose stool for days now. She has been eating Iams. We took her off Iams yesterday, gave her plain yogurt and another brand of cat food and she is getting better.

Original review: July 30, 2011

I noticed a worm on my kitchen wall near my Shih Tzu Gracie's Iams ProActive Health Petite biscuits, kept in a sealed dog cookie jar. I checked the cookies in the jar and there seemed to be too many crumbs. In checking the plastic storage container where the extras were kept, there was a moth flying around and many little worms, like the one on the wall, inside the container. I called my veterinarian and they told me to keep a check on Gracie's stool (she does get Heartguard). Today, I found dead worms in her stool. I was astounded and irate to know that I had fed this product to my dog and will be contacting my veterinarian again.

Original review: July 12, 2011

Both of my dogs bacame VERY sick after eating Iams mini chunks pro health. They started to become lethargic and dehydrated after vomitting and having diarrhea. I stopped the food, gave them boiled rice, pumpkin and cottage cheese and slowly started to add Natural Balance Dog Food. They are both doing just fine now. I will never buy any food made from this company AGAIN!

Original review: July 6, 2011

My English Bulldog has been on IAMS sensitive skin and stomach for quite some time. I've recently got another another bulldog who sadly has mammory cancer and had to have it removed. My dogs are doing GREAT on it! I've read through these claims and it does sadden me that your babies have gotten sick but I've noticed that the problem is really in the proactive mini chunks. I've also seen LOTs of people buying IAMS of different kinds. Most of them are in VERY large bags. I say, "IAMS, thank you for making a food that my dogs do and look good on and that's affordable, thank you so much!"

Original review: July 4, 2011

I've fed my nine-year-old black lab mix dog Iams most of his life. Recently I purchased a new 17.5 bag of Iams large breed dog food. He ate it the first few days then stopped eating it. He wouldn't eat anything so for several days later I took him to the vet. The vet put him on antibiotics and did bloodwork.

The next day, the bloodwork stated his liver enzymes were in the 600 range (I believe it should be around the 10 range). He was put on a second antibiotic and a supplement but he kept getting worse until finally he vomited blood and lost too much weight. He died.

Original review: June 17, 2011

We have been feeding our 12-year-old cat this product (Iams proactive weight control and hairball for cats, dry food) now for about 8 months since we were told by the vet she needed to lose a few pounds. She had previously been eating Purina indoor and fancy feast dry food in alternating flavors. Recently, we have noticed that she is throwing up huge hairballs and bile, and has had a noticeable weight loss. We are taking her to the vet in the morning.

We were shocked to read some of the articles written about this product, since we never even suspected it might be the problem. We have been so happy that with increased exercise and her diet food that she was becoming healthier. Now, we are worried. She certainly doesn't seem sick.

Original review: June 9, 2011

We have two dogs, an 11 year old Bichon Frise and a 9 year old Maltepoo. Both dogs have been on IAMS dog food since they were puppies, starting with Proactive Puppy Food, then on to Mini Chunks, and as they aged on to the Weight Control. We are diligent in making sure they do not eat people food or table scraps, and we have never switched brands of food.

They get regular annual check-ups and are current on vaccinations. They have never been exposed to parasites. They have always been healthy, happy dogs but occasionally our Bichon would have bloody diarrhea, which would go away after a few days. Our Maltepoo seems to have chronic eye and ear infections (yeast infections) and sometimes diarrhea that goes away also after a few days.

However, our Bichon has displayed a progressive increase in her liver enzymes for the last few years. A few weeks ago we took our Bichon in for an ear infection the first she has ever had (yeast infection). In the process we did her annual exam and blood/urine tests. The tests showed her liver enzymes to be in the 600 range. We have run more tests and two ultra sounds and have found she has low grade pancreatitis and severe Gallbladder Mucocele. We are now in discussions with vets, surgeons, and internists to get multiple medical opinions to determine a course of action. In the meantime, our vet has suggested we put her on a new prescription food for dogs with intestinal problems, antibiotics and other drugs to reduce the mucocele. We have ruled out Cushings Disease.

Today was our Maltepoo's annual exam and guess what? She is now displaying high liver enzyme test results and pancreatitis, and we are now going through the same round of tests that our Bichon is going through. Is it just coincidence that two dogs of different breeds on the same diet, eating the same brand of dog food all of their lives have the same internal medical problems? After reading the customer issues on this website, I am seriously questioning the IAMS Pet Food products and am reporting this to Consumer Affairs and the FDA for further investigation.

Original review: May 29, 2011

We have a 10 year old Australian Shepherd, that up until Tuesday May 24, 2011, was an extremely healthy, beautiful dog. We ran out of dog food, and my husband went to the grocery store and bought a bag of IAMs mini chunks dog food which is the first time he had ever had it. Our dog Zack has (or did up to this point) an iron stomach. We varied his dog food his entire life and he never had any issues at all. He ate the IAMs food Tuesday night. By Wednesday he began to act uncomfortable, laying down, and was having bowel movements every time he went outside. Thursday was a little worse, but nothing alarming. When we came home on Friday from work we found that he had vomited and had diarrhea all day. He could barely open his eyes and could not hold his head up. He would not eat or drink on Friday evening. Today (Saturday), we took him to the emergency vet hospital and he has an enlarged liver and spleen due to what is believed to be the reaction to eating the IAMs. The doctor took x-rays and there was nothing in his stomach and no obstructions. Due to the issues, the doctor gave Zack IV fluids, anti-diarrhea medication, and antibiotics in order to control the extreme vomiting and diarrhea he was experiencing. Zack is currently extremely lethargic, and he won't eat or drink. We have to carry him everywhere because he can barely walk. If the medication does not work within 48 hours, we will have to take him back for more testing to find out what the next steps will be.

I have read other issues that are exactly like what we are going through and the fact that IAMs has allowed to keep their product on the shelf is ridiculous. If this was happening to humans they would have been in all kinds of trouble. Why are dogs any different? IAMs shouldn't be allowed to kill dogs just to make a buck, who is the ** allowing this to continue?

Original review: April 9, 2011

Today, I purchased an 8 lb. bag of Iams dog food. My dog only ate half a bowl and refused to finish, which is highly unusual. Upon closer inspection of her bowl, I saw live maggots. I took pictures and a video of the live maggots in the invested bag. I just called the store but they were closed for the night. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will get a refund and I pray that my pet does not get sick.

Iams Dog Food Company Information