Iams Dog Food
3.74/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Looking for a good dog food brand?

801 Iams Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2011

My dogs have been on Iams for 12 years. We wanted to try the Senior Dog Premium Protection due to their age. Every time they ate the dogfood, they would choke on it and hacked it out. Our dogs are free fed and do not gulp down their food. I never complain but wanted you to be aware of this issue. Fearful that my dogs would choke, I went back to the Large Breed Proactive Health which kind of hurt having to buy two bags of dogfood within a few days due to being on a very tight budget. My dogs have done great on Iams for 12 years and we won't change brands. Thank you.

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams, and we are happy to talk with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2011

My cats have eaten Iams Lamb and Rice for years. They changed the food dot chicken and rice. Without warning, they have now changed the shape of the food and possibly the food formula. My cat who has had a few teeth pulled cannot chew the new food shapes and my kitten doesn't like it.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

Our 3 year old English Bulldog is an epileptic, on medication. We started feeding her a new bag of Iams weight loss food, and within hours, she started having violent seizures. My husband refused to believe it was Iams. She was fed Iams again, that night and morning, until I insisted he stop feeding her that bag.

She had seizures every two hours, for two days, from the start to finish of feeding her Iams. She stopped that second evening, after we stopped feeding her the bag of Iams. I'll post when the blood work comes back.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

My Jack Russell is having joint problem at 10 years. I have seen a post that says Iams dog food gave their dog melanoma. I'm sure you were looking for a cause and I'm so sorry for you lost. I am a 54-year old male and I have stage 3 melanoma caused by the sun, so I have read so much on it. Light-haired dogs can get melanoma like me. I just want to let you know that food does not, by far, cause melanoma. I'm not an Iams promoter, just wanted to say don't blame the food for melanoma or we would all be gone.

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams. Thank you for your comments. Please accept our sincere wishes for your Jack Russell. Your Jack Russell might benefit from one of our diets formulated with Glucosamine, which helps promote healthy joints. If you would like to discuss this with us, please feel free to call us at 800-525-4267 .

Original review: Oct. 26, 2011

My dog died of melanoma which began at his paw then spread to his lungs. I have no evidence or proof that it was the Iams but I assume it was. Dog food manufacturers should show nutrition facts on their bags. They should also allow visits or provide video to see how their food is made or processed. They should also provide the company who they purchase meat/chicken/fish from (if they purchase from an outer source). The laws in this country need to change and we all need to speak up for our loyal friends who can't.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

My cats have all been eating Iams Hairball Control. But I have noticed in the last six months more hairballs.

My Teacup Persian passed away 2 wks ago. He was only 4 yrs old; I miss him dearly. Hind sight is 20/20. I put off switching food cause I trusted it (IAMS). With 2 other cats, it's hard to keep track of which one has hairballs.or throwing up. Please put this up, so others don't have to go through an unnecessary loss of a pet

Original review: Oct. 12, 2011

Their dog cookies have worms in them. We noticed it one time. We thought it was a glitch. We bought some more recently. Again, there were more live worm larvae. It's disgusting. We have found this similar complaint on a variety of websites from other people. IAMS should make sure they clean up their process and seal the ** cookies inside the boxes.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Oct. 11, 2011

I just wanted everyone to be aware that my very healthy and active cat passed away on September 1, 2011. Her autopsy verified that she died of renal and pancreatic failure. She was starting to show signs of liver cancer, with her liver and kidneys shutting down. The veterinarian and with the help from the internet, also verified that it was directly or indirectly caused by the food she ate. When I mentioned that she ate Iams to the vet, he claimed that it was poison to my pet. So, I killed my cat; wait, Iams killed my cat. How dare they sell stuff that will poison animals which would result to their death. I will never buy any product from Iams again. Shame on you Iams.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2011

The last 2 bags of 40-pound Iams Large Breed Weight Control have had live worms that have hatched out of the food chunks and become small black beetle like bugs. I called Iams consumer relations. I was sent a coupon for another bag and had same thing in it too. I have one yellow lab that we have had since a puppy. At about 4 years, it started having seizures. Vets can't seem to find the problem. I just read of someone else with that symptom in their dog too. I now think it might be the food. Our other dog began to shun the food and now feel it is the food too. I found that the worm larvae had hatched out from the chunks. And I found live worms in the bottom of the packages. The little black beetle like bugs that our pest control man says is from the worms. I've now changed to Science Diet dry food. We'll see if our yellow lab's seizure stop or not. I didn't call Iams on the second bag as I decided to change food brands. I shudder when I think of our dogs eating some of these chunks that have had the worms in the food!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2011

My beloved Sheltie died due to cancer in the liver, kidney and lymph nodes. He is only 9 years old. We fed him only Iams Mini Chunks from day 1 as recommended from the store. My vet told me to google Iams and I was shocked and disgusted that this company is still allowed to sell dog food. I am out several thousands of dollars and my best companion ever. I will never use Iams again nor will anyone I know.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2011

I went into Walmart and purchased lots of Iams cat food, which I do receive an overage on! I donate the cat food to shelters as I do not have a cat! The coupon did say only four per shopping trip but they normally still ring it all together. Today, I was told that I can only use four coupons, so I said, "Okay, I will go to my car and come back in." They said no, that I could only get four a day! The coupon said four per shopping trip not four per day! I truly believe that Walmart hates coupon shoppers! I did talk to the store manager. She said that four a day would be enforced and that she had the right to limit anyone! So, if I go in there and buy four, and I go back at night, then they are going to say "sorry, you have bought your four today?" Give me a break!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2011

My perfectly beautiful Roman Bengal cat just passed away on July 03, 2011. He was a strong and healthy 3-year old boy with no previous history of illness until I started feeding him Iams ProActive Health kibble and canned food. I only had him for a total of 8 months and I only fed him this food. The food poisoned him so bad that everyone thought he had cancer. The tests were inconclusive to this and his symptoms were the same as others have written. I am deeply saddened by all this as I had no idea Iams was poisoning my beloved pet the whole time. I am interested in someone contacting me on what may further be done as I have amassed 5-7K in vet bills.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2011

I have always used Iams puppy for all my dogs. Within the last four years, I have lost my pitbull, Tinkerbell, to two different fatal types of cancer.

I asked the vet how this could be possible, as she was always on schedule for vet appointments and shots. The vet said that the breed was known for getting cancer. Tinker was only eight years old when I had to put her down. I thought I would die.

Today, (9-2-11), I found out that my 11-year old lhasa apso maltese mix has lymphoma, and only has three months left, six months is a stretch. I have been feeding him (Jack) Iams puppy his entire life. He once had parvo, but thankfully he survived!

I have to admit that the only thing the two of my pets had in common is the Iams puppy food. My daughter found a website full of complaints regarding Iams and pets passing from cancer, organ failure, or bleeding to death internally. I have an 11-month old Jack Russell named Maggie...she will promptly be taken off Iams and switched to something else, as soon as Jack passes.

If this were human food or medication, the FDA would be all over this. So where is the help for our pets? Why is someone not watching and regulating our pets' food, and what's in it? If you can go to jail for animal cruelty, why can't someone regulate and watch out for our pets? I was always told that "Iams is the best food, less backyard pick up because the dog digests all the nutrients", they also absorb whatever it is that is killing our pets.

We as the "owners" of our "pets"/ children need to be watched over with regulations and someone to help us!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2011

My cat has been sick, vomiting and loose stool for days now. She has been eating Iams. We took her off Iams yesterday, gave her plain yogurt and another brand of cat food and she is getting better.

Original review: July 30, 2011

I noticed a worm on my kitchen wall near my Shih Tzu Gracie's Iams ProActive Health Petite biscuits, kept in a sealed dog cookie jar. I checked the cookies in the jar and there seemed to be too many crumbs. In checking the plastic storage container where the extras were kept, there was a moth flying around and many little worms, like the one on the wall, inside the container. I called my veterinarian and they told me to keep a check on Gracie's stool (she does get Heartguard). Today, I found dead worms in her stool. I was astounded and irate to know that I had fed this product to my dog and will be contacting my veterinarian again.

Original review: July 12, 2011

Both of my dogs bacame VERY sick after eating Iams mini chunks pro health. They started to become lethargic and dehydrated after vomitting and having diarrhea. I stopped the food, gave them boiled rice, pumpkin and cottage cheese and slowly started to add Natural Balance Dog Food. They are both doing just fine now. I will never buy any food made from this company AGAIN!

Original review: July 6, 2011

My English Bulldog has been on IAMS sensitive skin and stomach for quite some time. I've recently got another another bulldog who sadly has mammory cancer and had to have it removed. My dogs are doing GREAT on it! I've read through these claims and it does sadden me that your babies have gotten sick but I've noticed that the problem is really in the proactive mini chunks. I've also seen LOTs of people buying IAMS of different kinds. Most of them are in VERY large bags. I say, "IAMS, thank you for making a food that my dogs do and look good on and that's affordable, thank you so much!"

Original review: July 4, 2011

I've fed my nine-year-old black lab mix dog Iams most of his life. Recently I purchased a new 17.5 bag of Iams large breed dog food. He ate it the first few days then stopped eating it. He wouldn't eat anything so for several days later I took him to the vet. The vet put him on antibiotics and did bloodwork.

The next day, the bloodwork stated his liver enzymes were in the 600 range (I believe it should be around the 10 range). He was put on a second antibiotic and a supplement but he kept getting worse until finally he vomited blood and lost too much weight. He died.

Original review: June 17, 2011

We have been feeding our 12-year-old cat this product (Iams proactive weight control and hairball for cats, dry food) now for about 8 months since we were told by the vet she needed to lose a few pounds. She had previously been eating Purina indoor and fancy feast dry food in alternating flavors. Recently, we have noticed that she is throwing up huge hairballs and bile, and has had a noticeable weight loss. We are taking her to the vet in the morning.

We were shocked to read some of the articles written about this product, since we never even suspected it might be the problem. We have been so happy that with increased exercise and her diet food that she was becoming healthier. Now, we are worried. She certainly doesn't seem sick.

Original review: June 9, 2011

We have two dogs, an 11 year old Bichon Frise and a 9 year old Maltepoo. Both dogs have been on IAMS dog food since they were puppies, starting with Proactive Puppy Food, then on to Mini Chunks, and as they aged on to the Weight Control. We are diligent in making sure they do not eat people food or table scraps, and we have never switched brands of food.

They get regular annual check-ups and are current on vaccinations. They have never been exposed to parasites. They have always been healthy, happy dogs but occasionally our Bichon would have bloody diarrhea, which would go away after a few days. Our Maltepoo seems to have chronic eye and ear infections (yeast infections) and sometimes diarrhea that goes away also after a few days.

However, our Bichon has displayed a progressive increase in her liver enzymes for the last few years. A few weeks ago we took our Bichon in for an ear infection the first she has ever had (yeast infection). In the process we did her annual exam and blood/urine tests. The tests showed her liver enzymes to be in the 600 range. We have run more tests and two ultra sounds and have found she has low grade pancreatitis and severe Gallbladder Mucocele. We are now in discussions with vets, surgeons, and internists to get multiple medical opinions to determine a course of action. In the meantime, our vet has suggested we put her on a new prescription food for dogs with intestinal problems, antibiotics and other drugs to reduce the mucocele. We have ruled out Cushings Disease.

Today was our Maltepoo's annual exam and guess what? She is now displaying high liver enzyme test results and pancreatitis, and we are now going through the same round of tests that our Bichon is going through. Is it just coincidence that two dogs of different breeds on the same diet, eating the same brand of dog food all of their lives have the same internal medical problems? After reading the customer issues on this website, I am seriously questioning the IAMS Pet Food products and am reporting this to Consumer Affairs and the FDA for further investigation.

Original review: May 29, 2011

We have a 10 year old Australian Shepherd, that up until Tuesday May 24, 2011, was an extremely healthy, beautiful dog. We ran out of dog food, and my husband went to the grocery store and bought a bag of IAMs mini chunks dog food which is the first time he had ever had it. Our dog Zack has (or did up to this point) an iron stomach. We varied his dog food his entire life and he never had any issues at all. He ate the IAMs food Tuesday night. By Wednesday he began to act uncomfortable, laying down, and was having bowel movements every time he went outside. Thursday was a little worse, but nothing alarming. When we came home on Friday from work we found that he had vomited and had diarrhea all day. He could barely open his eyes and could not hold his head up. He would not eat or drink on Friday evening. Today (Saturday), we took him to the emergency vet hospital and he has an enlarged liver and spleen due to what is believed to be the reaction to eating the IAMs. The doctor took x-rays and there was nothing in his stomach and no obstructions. Due to the issues, the doctor gave Zack IV fluids, anti-diarrhea medication, and antibiotics in order to control the extreme vomiting and diarrhea he was experiencing. Zack is currently extremely lethargic, and he won't eat or drink. We have to carry him everywhere because he can barely walk. If the medication does not work within 48 hours, we will have to take him back for more testing to find out what the next steps will be.

I have read other issues that are exactly like what we are going through and the fact that IAMs has allowed to keep their product on the shelf is ridiculous. If this was happening to humans they would have been in all kinds of trouble. Why are dogs any different? IAMs shouldn't be allowed to kill dogs just to make a buck, who is the ** allowing this to continue?

Original review: April 9, 2011

Today, I purchased an 8 lb. bag of Iams dog food. My dog only ate half a bowl and refused to finish, which is highly unusual. Upon closer inspection of her bowl, I saw live maggots. I took pictures and a video of the live maggots in the invested bag. I just called the store but they were closed for the night. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will get a refund and I pray that my pet does not get sick.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2011

I have two cats that have been eating Iams brand dry foods for their whole life. I switched to Iams ProActive Health & Weight Management dry food in November 2010. In December 2010 my smaller cat Dexter started throwing up more then the normal hairball. The expiration date on the bag seemed ok, but I went out and purchased another bag just in case. He kept eating the food but then started vomiting 5-6 times a day. He looked very lethargic and became uninterested in his food.

I took him in to see the Vet and they did blood work, urine sample, checked his ears and so on. He checked out okay except for a little dehydration. They filled him up with some water and we went home. I tried giving him the dry food again and he didn't want anything to do with it. So I started giving both cats water from a tuna can, and boiled chicken pieces. Dexter (the little cat) didn't throw up for a few days, but then I started taking away the home cooked chicken and just gave him the dry food. He began throwing up again within 2 days and became extremely ill. I took him in to the vet on Jan 17th 2011 once again for x-rays and then surgery. They found some bumps on the outside of his stomach and his intestines weren't moving properly in surgery so they did a biopsy on both. We are waiting for the lab results. The vet also noticed that he had an intense ear infection and a bladder infection. My cat is still there on Jan 19th, 2011 and they are doing what they can to nurse him back to health.

While Dexter has been in the hospital I've been feeding Clyde my older and larger cat his dry Iams food again. On Jan 17th 2011 he threw up a hairball with some food and then last night he threw up again and again. Both with just bile. It's because of this that I decided to check the web for any problems with Iams food. My brand wasn't listed but I still called 1-800-525-4267 and talked to Mary Lou about my problem. She basically said that she would pass the information on but the brand in question is not made in the same plant as the brand that was recalled. I explained that the symptoms were the same and she didn't really have much to say.

I'm reaching out to you now because if you have an animal that is having these symptoms please make sure to take away the dry food and put them on something else for right now. Then contact your vet and then of course Iams. State your claim and lets hope that our animals get better. Please do this. The only way they will do any investigation is if there are enough problems with animals to justify such an investigation.

I'm on my way to take Clyde to the vet and to see my sick cat who is already there. I will also be giving my vet the number to call Iams to see if maybe she can give them more information.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2011

Interesting read on the Iams Minichunks Proactive Health. I wondered why my border collie was refusing to eat. Today, she actually begged for "people food", and she never does that. She always goes outside or to the other room where she can't be seen when we eat. The numbers off the top of the bag are 120212 12 feb12 02854173 d6 us30940. Like another responder, I usually feed the Iams Large Chunk dog food and bought this because I couldn't find the other. I'm off to replace my dog food and will be returning this one.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2011

Apparently, the recall wasn't wide enough and it is still happening. I get the Mini Chunks from Sam's Club and I had to put our 14-year old dog down because of the vomiting, which turned into liver failure. Happy new year. Now, our other dogs are exhibiting the vomiting and lethargy. I am changing food now and forever!

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams, and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2010

I have a coupon for iams cat food seven pounds or larger. The bag that they sell is 6.8 pounds. They would not accept the coupon although it was still valid by date.

Iams Dog Food response

Ms Baker, I work for Iams, and we'd be happy to help you with this. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2010

We lost both cats over the holidays from sudden major organ failure. Samson, already recovering from a long and challenging illness, fell catastrophically ill with seizures and kidney failure and had to be euthanized at 2 am on December 23rd. Simon, a perfectly healthy 10-year-old male tabby, had his first seizure around 7 am on Christmas morning and held out until 2 am on Tuesday the 28th. Blood work indicated kidney failure and other problems consistent with toxicity. The cats were cremated but I still have the food. These cats ate Iams.

Iams Dog Food response

Mr. Schroeder, I am very sorry for your loss. I work for Iams, and if you would like to talk with us about this, please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2010

I have three dogs who have had horrible reactions to Iams dog food. Our vet told us the infections and allergies were caused by their dog food. Our 1yr old English mastiff had to have surgery because an infection grew so bad and large in her ear, it look like a water balloon. My Chesapeake lab also had the same ear infection but we caught it in time before it got worse and our doberman/shepherd mix had a horrible skin reaction.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2010

My dog suffers from seizure and now that I am reading. I believe it might be the dog food. I have been feeding her IAMS mini chunks dog food since she has been a puppy. She started having seizures over 2 years ago. The last one was terrible, she threw up all over. The last time I went to get her food, the shelves were almost empty, with a sign stating they are having a problem with inventory. I think this is so bad that nothing can be done to prevent all these sick animals.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2010

My mother-in-law has the brother Himalayan of our cat, which is 8 years old. We feed him Hills Prescript diet C/D because regular cat food gave him crystals. I could not recall what he was getting at the time. My mother-in-law has Myca, the brother of our cat, which died of stomach cancer which spread to his lungs because it was not detected earlier. The only food she ever fed him was Iams. I have been reading other claims about Iams. My cat is extremely happy and healthy. He’s also 8 years old. I questioned the product of the food.

My cat died. Stomach cancer spread to his lungs. He was brought to the vet to put to sleep.

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams, and we are happy to talk with you or your mother-in-law about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Iams Dog Food Company Information