Iams Dog Food
3.75/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

794 Iams Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

IAMS Mini chunks - My 9 year old Border Collie has had diarrhea for the last several days. I fed him only pumpkin for a couple of meals and his stool improved but when I mixed it with the kibble the diarrhea returned. Then I fed him white rice and pumpkin at his evening meal and it stopped the diarrhea by the morning. I believe there is something wrong with the kibble. He is not prone to stomach issues.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Reading these reviews are breaking my heart. I bought the green bag of Iams Proactive Health for Small dogs for my Pomeranian because her usual Beneful was out. She didn’t want to eat it but when she did the diarrhea was horrible. I knew immediately it must be the food so I stopped giving it to her and went out and got some Beneful. About a week later my 2 cats got into the bag of Iams and I knew immediately because the litter box had the same dark liquid poop that my dog had been expelling. How is this even legal?? Iams is poison! They could have killed my baby!! I don’t know what I would have done if something happened to her. I see stories on here of people whose fur babies actually died!!! Thank God I stopped giving this poison to my dog!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Recently we had to switch our dogs' dog food to Iams because they didn’t have the type you usually bought. The first day we switched the dog food our chihuahua (6yo), Pomeranian (8yo), and terrier (5yo) all were throwing up all day and had horrible watery diarrhea. Today, my little Annie died, she was just 11 months old too. She had horrible diarrhea to where she was bleeding, shaking uncontrollably, vomiting, then started refusing food. So, my mom started to research what was going on. Apparently, a lot of people have had the same experience. When we found out though... it was too late even though she only ate the dog food a few times, we just got the food. Just the other day she was running around, happy as could be greeting everyone. Now, she is passed and I can never have her back.

My mom called to complain (like others have) and you know what they did? They offered her, her money back? You think someone who lost their best friend wants their money back? Why don’t you take Iams off of the shelf instead of making a profit off of it, knowing it can kill/harm animals. Your food is supposed to help animals, keep them alive with nutrients they need. Not poison them.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Please, please, please do not feed this food to your pet!!! I lost my 11 month old puppy, Annie, last night to this food within a week of feeding this food to her. The store did not have my usual brand, so I purchased what I thought was a quality-comparable brand. I am so mad at myself for not making the effort to go to a different store. I have other dogs and every single one of them threw up and had diarrhea. They started throwing up the day I started feeding them this food. My life was and still is a nightmare. Symptoms: Vomiting, horrible diarrhea, lethargy. My puppy ended up with bloody diarrhea.

We tried to save Annie. She was hospitalized, on an IV, but could not pull through. Our vet said she has never seen something happen this fast. They even checked to ensure she didn't have Parvo because she was in such dire shape. Our vet said that it is likely Annie didn't pull through like our other dogs did because her immune system was not developed enough to fight.

I called Iams and the rep was pleasant enough. However, please note that they do NOT read these reviews posted here. I was told the reviews are "TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT" since they are only posted when customers are dissatisfied. So PLEASE CALL! So Iams wants to send me a check to cover the bag of food that killed my little girl. I refused. I never, ever want anything to do with this company again and do not want to see their name show up in my mailbox. The number I called was 1.800.525.4267. I am so devastated right now. I hope that I even made sense in this review.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Bought Iams dog food because the store had run out of Rachael Ray. All three dogs came down with severe diarrhea right away. Went on this site and read the reviews and went out and bought some new food. Hopefully it's not too late for my pups. Very disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We bought a bag of Iams dry dog food for large breeds thinking it was a good brand to feed our dog. Third day and he's got diarrhea so bad he wants out every hour. I am discontinuing feeding him this poison!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We decided to buy our dogs what we thought was a higher quality dog food. We purchased Iams Proactive Health MiniChunks, Chicken. Both of our dogs didn't seem to be particularly be interested in the dog food but did eventually eat it. I did notice that they did not eat as normal but picked at the food. Within 2 days of eating this food, both our dogs had such horrible diarrhea that by the time we got up to let them outside, they were losing stool as they walked. I left it another day, not thinking it was the food until both dogs became lethargic, they were just laying around and not really acting like themselves...

So I immediately did a research to see if Iams Dog food had been recalled. I found this site, I am so glad I did. I took up all the dog food and began feeding them boiled chicken and rice with some chicken broth. They are still on this diet as I write this review. Both are recuperating and doing better since taking them off the IAMS. I don't understand why Iams would not pull this product since there are so many similar problems. I plan on calling them as soon as I am finished here.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We’ve fed Iams green proactive mini chunks for about 3 years now. Just bought a new large bag & my Cairn Terrier is having loose, watery stools. I looked up & found these reviews & realize it’s the dog food. Don’t know what the problem is but Iams needs to recall this product before dogs start dying.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Purchased Iams Mini Chunks for ProActive Health for our dogs. We've been purchasing Iams for years. However the mini chunks caused both dogs to have loose watery stools until we realized it was the dog food. We had to change to another dog food in order to get them back to themselves. Very disappointed. We have 3 quarters of a bag of dog food left and concerned to give it to another dog for fear of them too having watery stools.

Original review: July 15, 2018

After reading these reviews I honestly think this is what has been making my 9 year old sick. She’s had loose to running stool a few days now. It all started after buying a new bag of food. I buy the purple large breed for older dogs. She’s been on Iams since 8 weeks. No issues until about a couple months ago. This time is much worse. Luckily she still acts fine but every bowel is worse. I’m taking her off this since it’s poisoning her! How is this still in stores & there hasn’t been a recall?

Original review: June 27, 2018

I recently had to buy a different brand of dog food after the store was out of the normal Beneful, I fed her. I chose the more expensive Iams green Healthy Bites, being cautious to not get anything that could make her sick, given the recent food recalls. She ate it just fine for about two weeks, 1 cup in the morning and one in the evening, when I got home from work one evening I noticed she had not finished her morning food, this NEVER happens as she is quick to eat it up in minutes, immediately I knew something was wrong so I went out and bought her some of her regular brand food.

After eating just half of that bowl that evening I knew something bad was going on, I took her outside and she threw up the new food I had just bought, unable to keep anything down, I then started thinking of any bowels out of the ordinary since eating the Iams, and they were regular but very dark and smelly, and on this last day when she threw up it had been soft almost runny...and she became very lethargic and hiding in the closet, and not wanting to come out, this is a playful dog, not at all the norm.

The next morning I took her into the vet, as I noticed others posting as well, all her labs came back clear but her temp had risen to 103 degrees, I mentioned all the feedback on this site to my vet, most certain after reading these reviews that this was another case of BAD food, two days and slowly recovering she is still at the vet, but please, I caught it early with symptoms, and googling these warnings, please quit feeding your dog IAMS before it's too late, and never introduce it back into their diet when you get them back home...this stuff is NO GOOD!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Fed my dog Iams since birth 10 years. Last 3 years my dog started barfing once a day starting not feeling well. Thought old age is coming. Then out of nowhere she got lethargic. Rushed her in and she had severe stomach's bacteria. After surgery to clean her tummy and months of antibiotics. Living on cooked chicken mash she was a puppy again. Thinking all is well started feeding her Iams adult (green bag) dog food again few weeks ago and again it started. More mash antibiotic. I changed to many other brands. With trial and error discovered she can't eat grain fillers no more. Developed food allergies. Checking Iams past ingredients to now. They changed it right at time she started not acting normal. 3 years I poisoned my dog and thousands of dollars later. I thought I was feeding my dog premium food when premium is just another fancy misleading word dog food bags are using. Stay away. Educate yourself on all the new language they will say to make you think it's good food.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My sweet Papillion passed away recently unexpectedly. She suffered greatly before it dawned on me that she may have been poisoned. The last couple of days she hid in my closet to sleep. Before I suspected anything was wrong on Saturday night she collapsed in the front room and could not use her front legs. Recently moved, I did not know after hour clinics in the area. She seemed to be in no pain. I thought that things would improve after reading on the internet. I put her in my Master Bath by my bed so that I could monitor her. By the middle of the night she was in agony when I got up to check on her. She was trying to get up by walking on back legs while dragging her head and front end on the floor.

She threw up slime and dog food many times. Then the bowels came with frightening red clots of blood. By Sunday morning I had found an after hour vet to see her. She was in a state of complete paralysis at this time and only had slight blinking. The vet said that when they bleed like that with her symptoms it is usually a poisoning. I promised Minnie that if she survived by that morning I would not let her suffer another minute. The vet put her down for me. The next couple of days my remaining Yorkie had stopped eating her Iams Proactive Health Minichunks. I thought that she was just grieving the loss of MinnieMeg. She cried constantly but still could be at my side at all times.

About a week after the death I realized that I had not had to add any food to her bowl. I purchased some canned food to top off her Iams. She would eat a little of the can food and spit out any Iams that was attached. I thought that I would look up the food on the internet that they had both eaten and found this site of consumer complaints of this dog food and how others had passed on it with bleeding and all the other symptoms. Now I am convinced that this food may have been tainted since many others had the same experience. I would like to know why this food has not been recalled with all these experiences. My dog was 13 years old and had many more loving years to live. I am sick about this and if my story helps another dog owner, it is worth it to write about it. I pray that my Yorkie doesn't suffer the same in the days to come.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We switched my dog Iams large breed about 4 months ago because the vet recommended it over what he was eating previously. He started losing interest in eating but I figured he was becoming more sated. We just bought our 4th bag and this time we bought the bag from Sam's Club and got a large bag. Within a few days he stopped eating and would refuse the food until the end of the day. Thursday he wouldn't touch it at all. He finally ate yesterday morning after I left for work. He vomited all over my bed! More than just his morning's feeding. Plus many spots where he must have ran out of chunks and only vomited liquid. Poor doggy was sick all day while we were at work (our mattress is ruined since it soaked in it all day). We took him to the vet and his exam was fine, the vet said the food was probably bad and gave us a prescription gastro food to help him feel better. I am returning the bag to Sam's club asap.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have been struggling with my dog having diarrhea and vomiting the last week. I obviously thought it was the new allergy medicine he started since that was the only thing that had changed. I started him on chicken and rice this weekend. No dog food and he seemed to instantly improve. After a few days of this I decided to mix a little dog food back in with his rice. My husband and I came home from work to a bunch of blood plus several other piles of vomit.

After a trip to the emergency vet they couldn’t find anything wrong in his blood work but he clearly was sick. When I got home I realized the only other thing it could be was his dog food, I bought a new bag the same time he started his meds. I looked to see if there were any recalls and unfortunately there has not been any yet. After reading all the recent reviews on here my suspicions were confirmed about it being his IAMS. There is clearly something wrong with the recent bags they’ve produced this May! We have to get a recall on this before more dogs get sick and pass!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I use Iams for small or toy breeds. I have been using Iams dog food for years, about 2 weeks ago, my Shih Tzu got uncontrollable diarrhea, it was so bad that while he walked his was basically pouring out. He seemed to sleep more than usual and just seemed sick and not himself. I stopped feeding him the food and started giving him chicken, pumpkin and rice. His diarrhea went away. So I fed him his Iams since he was feeling better and a few hours later he had diarrhea again. Since I wasn't sure if it was the food I gave him his chicken dinner and his stool was back to normal. I mixed his chicken dinner with the Iams and he got diarrhea again. I truly hope that if there was a recall you informed your customers because I would hate to find out this customer is deceiving its customers. Now that he's back on his chicken dinner I hope his stool goes back to normal.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I’ve just read about other dog owners with sick dogs. I recently started a new bag of Iams and my Golden came down with terrible diarrhea and vomiting. Just started him back on the food and my other dog got into it and now she has diarrhea. Is this recalled? Already have a hefty vet bill for one dog.

Original review: May 18, 2018

On May 12, 2018, my 1 1/2 year old yellow Lab “Ruger”, started having diarrhea, vomiting and became very lethargic. Not normal diarrhea either. It shot straight out like a hose and was nothing but water. I will note that on May 4, 2018 (just 1 week prior), Ruger was seen by his vet for his routine annual checkup and was deemed an extremely healthy 93 lb Lab. Now fast forward a week, on May 13, 2018, Ruger began drooling out both sides his mouth and trembling terribly. So at 10:30 pm my husband and I rushed Ruger to the nearest animal 24 hour ER, an hour and 15 minutes away. Ruger had a fever of 105.9. The vet said 105.9 is extremely dangerous and 106 is deadly so he wanted to keep Ruger overnight and give him fluids and keep an eye on him all night.

His blood test showed his liver panel was high. They began giving him 4 different medications. 24 hours later we were able to bring Ruger home but had to continue giving him the meds and try to ease him back into eating with boiled hamburger and rice. It took 1 week for Ruger to start acting better. He continued throwing up for several days after coming home. Just last night, May 17th, we agreed that he is just now finally acting himself again, as far as behavior goes. He is still underweight and we are still easing him back into eating dog food.

During that time, we noticed that our 5 year old Cairn Terrier, Remi, had stopped eating for us and instead pushed bowl across the room and tried to spill it and bury it every time we fed him. We began questioning the IAMS Mini Chunks because prior to switching them to IAMS last month, they were both very eager eaters. That’s when I began researching and discovered many others have experienced this same issue. We now feed our dogs Nutro and I refuse to ever feed them IAMS ever again. Something needs to be done! We almost lost our baby that night and we still struggle with knowing he was poisoned by us feeding him IAMS. Dogs know. They could sense something was wrong with that food. Please do not feed your dogs IAMS and be vigilant of their eating and behavior. If it seems off, look into it right away!!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have a 15 yr old Husky mix. I have feed her IAMS food all her life. I switched her over to the IAMS Proactive Health Senior Plus (small kibble) thinking I was doing something that would help her in her senior years. Since November we have been having issues with Diarrhea and throwing up. She has went from a healthy 85 lbs to maybe 45-50 lbs now. I have had her at the vet multiple times but they cannot find anything wrong. After thinking about what has changed and trying to figure out what it could be I came across this forum... I am so sad to think that I have been feeding my dog food that is making her sick. I am going to throw away what I have left and just feed her boiled chicken and rice in hopes to bring her back to normal. I will be contacting IAMS to find out what they are going to do with all of these complaints. Is the food contaminated? Why is there so many people having the same issues and nothing being done?

Original review: May 17, 2018

This past Monday I came home from work and what was once a 5 y/o healthy black lab was lying in my yard deceased. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever been a part of. I was unsure of what caused his untimely death, until the following evening: Tuesday May 15th. My wife and I had come home from dinner after the long 24 hours that we had. Well we have two other dogs and they are both Mini Aussies, usually our Aussies roam the house while we are gone and don't have any accidents or any behavioral issues, except for the past week or so our dogs have both had diarrhea, so the dogs were in their cage. We unlocked the door and immediately smelled the foul stench that all pet owners know and dread when they open the door, the dogs had vomited and had diarrhea all in their cage to where they were both covered in the mixture of the two.

After washing the dogs I let them outside to use the bathroom and my smaller mini Aussie was defecating and throwing up at the same time and the other Aussie had diarrhea so bad that she was bleeding from her anus. So at this point I'm wondering if it could've been the food that caused my Labs untimely death and start googling when I come across this site and realize that several other pet owners have had the same issues that I have had the past couple of days including death of their loved ones. I contacted Iams today and after explaining everything that had occurred in the past 72 hours the woman on the phone Kindly offered me my money back for my $30 bag of dog food. I then proceeded to lost my composure at the thought of their food possibly causing my dog's death was only equivalent to a free 30lb bag of dog food.

I told the nice woman that I wasn't sure what was good enough or what was acceptable for them to do for my loss but I'm not interested in a free bag of dog food. I really would like them to be aware and for other pet owners to be aware that this food is out there and at the very least is making dogs very sick. (I should mention all three of my dogs have been fed Iams pro-life mini chunks for the past three years). I want everyone that is experiencing even the slightest scare with their dogs eating Iams to call the company and complain. The woman on the phone said that there hasn’t been a trend to make them think that their dog food is contaminated or an endangerment to your loved ones. I know you guys are out there so please please call and let’s get a recall on this food and prevent anyone else from experiencing the heartache that I have this week. 1-800-675-3849.

Original review: May 14, 2018

My 3 dogs have eaten Iams green bag adult dog food since pups. (11 years) Just got a fresh new bag 4 days ago from Petsmart. The dogs all got sick with puking and diarrhea. I am so mad! But I am glad I realized the issue Asap. I called Iams to complain and suggest others call too! 800-675-3849.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs IAMS Dog Food for years with no problems. I purchase the huge bags at Sam's Club. The last two weeks my big dog Delilah has had diarrhea twice. The first time I just thought it was nothing and blew it off. Fed her boiled chicken until it went away. Put her back on the IAMS. Then yesterday she had the same issue again. Now I’m feeding her the boiled chicken and taking her permanently off the IAMS especially after reading other dogs are having the same issue. I’ve always paid more for IAMS for the quality and because they claim it’s better for the dogs. Also along the two bouts of diarrhea, our dog never ate all of her food in her dish with this bag of IAMS, which is not like her and she also didn’t have the same energy. Reading the other comments they describe the same symptoms our Delilah has. It’s sad that these companies cut corners on quality at the expense of the health of our dogs, our most loyal and best friend.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have a 12 year old Beagle & 10 year old English Springer Spaniel. They have been on Iams sensitive/healthy naturals ocean fish recipe for about 4 years and always did well on it. I was on autoship from petco.com. On March 31 I opened a new bag & both dogs became immediately sick vomiting, having diarrhea that quickly turned into bloody diarrhea within a few days. My poor Beagle began pooping straight blood (no poop, just blood). I rushed them to the vet who did blood work & fecal tests & both pups had negative results, healthy dogs. The vet said it's their kibble & to stop it.

I had already stopped the kibble when they got sick & started them on bland diet (chicken & rice). But they were still sick & continued to get worse. The vet diagnosed them with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, which is fatal for dogs if left untreated. He said the inflammation/infection would have continued until they saw him & were prescribed medications. The first round of meds only worked while they were on them. Once the meds stopped the symptoms returned. They were on meds for the entire month of April. They have been off the meds for about a week now & so far the vomiting & diarrhea have not returned. They are not 100% normal yet. They are still on a chicken & rice diet for now. Total vet bills are $1100 to date plus time lost from work & life to care for 2 sick dogs plus plus plus.

I called Iams to make a complaint. I was told someone from their health & safety team would contact me to work things out with my vet; of course my phone never rang. They did send me a check for a whopping $32 for the cost of food with a letter saying sorry for the inconvenience. It's sad to be devoted customers for several years & Iams genuinely doesn't give a crap about their customers or our pets. They should be sued for making our dogs sick & their poisoned food should be taken off pet supply stores shelves forever.

Original review: May 8, 2018

This is very disconcerting. We brought home a healthy dog 2.5 weeks ago. She was eating Victor brand but we started weaning her off that onto IAMS Big Breed Puppy food. For the past week and a half she's had very bad diarrhea. I wouldn't have thought anything about it until hearing other IAMS users were experiencing the same thing. We're going back to VICTOR.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We have used Iams before it became widely available. We have raised all our dogs on Iams, and each and everyone greatly outlasted normal lifespans. We have one small, one that is now 18 years old and still going strong.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I begin feeding my 12-year-old male dog Iams Senior 2 months ago thinking I was giving him a better food at his age. I didn't notice -- probably because of his age that he was becoming less active and of recent, lethargic, limping, loss of strength in his back legs and then on Friday, May 4, begin high-stepping and acting like he was having neurological issues. It was so bad that the next day before we took him to the vet we were prepared to put him down. The vet could not find anything wrong with him and we thought it was just arthritis and age that was creating this issue.

He was having problems with constipation with the Iams food so I started to switch him back to his old food with more fiber just before his decline in health. From Friday to Sunday I had him switched back to his old food. Sunday morning when we woke up he was acting more like himself. By Sunday afternoon after having his breakfast of his new food he was actually running around outside with no issues to his hind legs or limping. This morning I heard a noise at 5 AM and he had broken through the gate and was heading upstairs to find me. This was a dog that could not hold himself up to days before, fell down when he tried to go to the bathroom, could not balance at all and did not want to get up.

Since I switched him to his new food he is now acting more like himself that he has over the last couple of months. I have to think that the Senior food was the cause of his illness/decline in health. I have a puppy on Iams Large Breed Puppy Food and will be switching him from that when he returns from the trainer next week. I will never feed Iams again.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have bought Iams for many years. Our 3-year-old has been eating it since she was a year old. This past bag, not good. She became sick. Diarrhea, throwing up foam and clear liquid, no appetite, tired, didn't want to play or anything. There is only one thing that she did that could have caused this, eat Iams. She has not had anything else that could have caused it. I took her to the vet after 5 days of terrible runny diarrhea, and vomiting, and very sickly and racked my brain over what could have caused this. Came to the conclusion after her stool was checked that it has to be the food. She had no worms in her stool and no other illnesses. It's like she was poisoned. And it's just me and her nobody to poison her. And I don't take any medication like some people I read drop and dog eats. Not in my case. There is nothing she could have eaten, just her food.

She is healthy as a horse normally. I will not be feeding her anymore Iams. It was great for years, but not this past batch. She's not out of the woods yet. I thought we were going to lose her. She lost 2.5 pounds in less than a week. Which is about 25 to 30 pounds for a human. Since she is a Chihuahua, I have researched and found out. Please take this food off the shelves. It is dangerous to dogs. I'm not a one-time case. There is over 800 on another website. Over 118 cases in past few weeks' time. And that's just the people who took the time to put a very helpful comment/review/complaint, up to help others who feed this food to their loved pets. There is no telling how many pets have suffered from this food eating their stomachs up on the inside. Vet prescribed 2 different meds for her and changed her food. Week 2 and she is better and stools are harder. Hoping and praying for the best.

Please watch your pets closely and if you are feeding them Iams in green bag. Please stop. My bag was purchased in FL, April, 2018 from Publix. I opened it recently. I poured it out in big bucket to look through it thinking maybe there was some dead rat or other dead animal in it or something. Nothing. Looks normal but, IT'S NOT NORMAL. IT POISON... At least my bag was, and over 800 on another site. Not counting the unreported cases. Not just FL. Other states as well.

Original review: April 29, 2018

We had Iams recommended by our vet as well as our breeder... Our two collies, Dusty and Misty, are very vibrant and healthy and the product is priced reasonably. I usually purchase the product at a wholesale club such as BJ's.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Recently bought a bag of Iams MiniChunk dog food for my dog. My dog is 13 and has been eating this food for the last 10 years. I have a small dog and usually purchase a small bag. The store only had the very large bag 20 lbs. My poor dog has had diarrhea for the last 24 hours. Non-stop. Had no idea this food could make him so sick. Not sure if it is because of the packaging, but I will be returning it to the store today and never giving it to him again.

Original review: April 25, 2018

IAMS Healthy Naturals Weight Chicken Flavored Dry Dog Food is the Dog Food we have been feeding our Beagle starting in January 2018 till now. But today I am throwing away his unfinished bag! Dogs cannot talk to you about what they are eating. They trust in you that you will feed them something they will love and that won't make them sick. Our Beagle at first would eat his Iams Dog food, but as time went on, he stopped eating out of his bowl altogether, just only when he was hungry and didn't have anything better to eat. He would smell it, and then walk away. Beagles have such a good sense of smell, that this should be telling you something right? Bless his little heart. He had some of the same symptoms: Drinking lots of water all day, getting sick on the carpet, licking my hands for salt, etc... Please get rid of your Iams Dogfood. Our dogs don't deserve this!

Iams Dog Food Company Information