Iams Dog Food
3.74/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Iams Dog Food

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

794 Iams Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 26, 2012

Our cats did not want to eat. They started with throwing up and their stool had a foul order nothing like before. They were passing gas with a terrible foul odor. We had decided something is wrong with their digestive system and we started to think what cat food was different. It was Iams. We are very upset over this as we love our pets and do everything right as possible to keep them in great health. We are scared and angry. We started to look on the computer for symptoms like our cats had and the first thing we found was about Iams. There are so many other people just like us who started to feed their pets Iams.

We also have a pregnant cat and are concerned about her and the kittens she will have. What upset us the most is that Iams has had an ongoing problem and have done nothing about this except continue to sell their cat and dog food to unsuspecting uninformed people who think they are buying one of the better brands of dog and cat food. Further, the computer sites are full of people reporting the damage, expense of vet bills, and even the death of their pets. Yet all say when they contacted Iams/Procter & Gamble is that they received no help and even discourteous treatment during their inquiry about the damage done to their pets. Rest assured this family will never purchase Iams cat food again, and when at the store we will inform every person encountered not to purchase Iams products.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2012

I purchased Iams since getting our dog from the shelter. Over the past few months, she was passing some bad gas and then started the uncontrollable bowel movement in the house and in her pen. We stopped the Iams then bought Science Diet and no more problems. Iams proof of purchase 1901401852. Can I get refunded for at least the last bag of Iams?

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams, and we are happy to talk with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267. Thank you,

Sandy

Pet Care Specialist

Original review: Feb. 16, 2012

I have had nothing but problems with Iams for the last 6 months. The first 2 of my son's dogs get non-stop diarrhea that's a yellow-green. Then my friend's 2 puppies wouldn't stop throwing up and peeing this bright orange color and have to be at the vet's for 4 days. And what they do about it was sent her 2 coupons for some more of their crap.

My son complained to the company and even sent in his receipts for the 3 bags he had to throw away, and they never refunded him for the bags of food or made any effort to refund his money. The company is owned by P&G, and personally, I don't think they give a damn about the health and welfare of your animals. Look at all the websites devoted to Iams Kills. I believe it, and even my vet said that if my son would have kept feeding his dogs that junk, they would have died from dehydration. I will make a point to see to it that no one uses Iams. Boycott!

Sandy

Pet Care Specialist

Original review: Feb. 15, 2012

I bought the dietary and hairball cat food for our 2 cats, to switch them from 9 lives cat food. We thought that switching them to Iams dietary and hairball cat food would stop their problem, which is barfing up hairballs and barf. The nine lives was leaving orange stains on the carpet, which does not come out. So I figured I'd try the Iams cat food, where it could help their digestive system, and it would be better for them, but guess what, we've went through 4 bags of Iams, and we're still having the same problem. I believed in your product, and I am disappointed in it. Also, it sure wasn't cheap for a small bag either! Our 2 cats really love it too, so I hate to stop buying it for them, but I am very disappointed that the same thing is happening! We bought it at our local Walgreens. It shows on your bags a cat's digestive system, and how good it's supposed to be for our cats. What is this, false advertising?

Iams Dog Food response
    I work for Iams, and we are happy to talk with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267. Thank you.
    Sandy,

Iams Pet Care Specialist

Original review: Feb. 10, 2012

Since my last post, Jan 17, 2012, we have some good news. We took all our animals off the Iams dry dog food and started feeding them chicken and rice (that we cooked ourselves) and I am so happy to say that they all are doing 110% better. I feel so bad that I killed our little Booger by feeding him something that I thought was good for him. I always thought Iams was a good food to feed my dogs, apparently not. Thank God we learned about this problem before we lost anymore of our babies. Lams, you should be ashamed of yourselves for selling something that is causing sickness in and even killing our pets. I will tell everyone I know not to purchase your products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2012

I purchased a bag of Iams proactive health for large dogs on February 3rd, 2012. I began slowly mixing it in with her old food on the 4th, 5th, and 6th. During the evening of the 6th, she woke up at 1:00, and woke me needing to go out. She had diarrhea, and then came back in the house, and vomited! I took her to the veterinarian, and they told me it was the food that caused it, and to put her on a bland diet, and slowly add in her old food. She was also put on 3 medicines to combat the diarrhea and vomiting due to this food!

I'm very disappointed with Iams. I thought I was doing my animals a favor by buying them a good quality food, and instead it made my dog sick. My cat is also being switched back to her old food, due to everything I've read. At the time of purchase I thought the food was on the expensive side but worth it for healthy animals, however it cost me $395.00 at the vet's office today, because it's not healthy for animals, and that's just for my dog, my cat seems to be okay for now, and she won't be eating Iams anymore!

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Feb. 3, 2012

I have been buying Iams canned dog food for two years. My dog loves it and it seems to be working for her. I buy chicken chunks in gravy. But I have noticed when I get the canned food, the last 10- 12 cans I have bought have been dry, with no gravy, no chunks of meat, and a lot of barley. My dog is picky and that's why I get Iams. She loves it. But when I buy this particular food for her, I expect it to be what the label reads. I pay $1.49 a can. That's expensive but she loves it and I love my dog and want what's best for her. If I pay that much for food, I want what the label reads. You need to somehow check what goes into the cans. I feel I'm being ripped off and that's not fair to my pet. The food stinks also like old food. Please reply to this email. Thank you

Original review: Feb. 2, 2012

Our English bulldog recently passed away unexpectedly for no foreseen reason, she was a healthy dog. We were feeding her along with our other 3 dogs the Iams dog food. We had some cases of diarrhea in our other pups and a lack of eating but didn't think anything of it until the passing of our bulldog. We, as consumers, trust the pet food industry with providing our animals with a good quality and nutritious food to keep them healthy because like us, for most people, our pets are members of our family and we treat them as such.

The pet food your company provides for our animals is no different than that of what we as people buy for ourselves to consume for our health, always looking for good nutritious foods to prolong the lives of our best friends. Our pets look to us to take care of them with feeding them good foods and taking them to the vet. office if they seem sick. I feel as if I have let my friend down by trusting a company like yours with her health. I will have the remainder of this food tested and find out if it was infected and if so I will be taking legal action.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2012

I had two dogs. One was a Rat Terrier - beautiful, loving, amazing and full of live and love. He was almost five years old. I could not believe how loving this dog was and how much enjoyment he brought to my life. He had to be put to sleep in December due to kidney failure. It was was a very, very traumatic experience for me. He was always bouncy, energetic, and full of life.

In November I purchased Iams ProAcitive Small Biscuits. I fed these to my Rat Terrier, and my Yorkie Terrier mix. Within two weeks, my Rat Terrier began to be sick. After an extended hospital stay, my vet suggested he was poisoned. I paid well over $500 (I was lucky to have a good vet).

Iams small biscuits were the only change to their diet. I retracted the product from my larger Yorkie mix immediately. She is still alive two months later. Buyer beware and stay away from P&G products in memory on my pets and those that have gone before. Read the actual facts. Peace be with you and your pets. In memorial to Zero.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2012

I switched my four dogs over to Iams. It started out with slow eating, to vomiting, to one of my dogs dying and another one displaying the same symptoms. The yellow 8-year old lab was put down Friday, and I am so angry that this food is killing my dogs. I had many test on the yellow lab, it all came back negative for the obvious diseases. I am stopping the Iams diet immediately and contacting a lawyer. I will have the remaining food tested. In the meantime, if my other dogs die, I will not stop to let others know the dangers of Iams products.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2012

We just put our 5 year old otherwise healthy and very active German shepherd to sleep yesterday. His blood tests for his organs were all showing signs of serious problems. He survived the first round of bad canned food in 2007. I continued to feed him Iams lamb and rice up until his passing.

Within the last two months, he showed much decreased appetite, very lethargic, and overall not himself. The past two weeks, he really didn’t want to eat and he was urinating all over the house which is unheard of for Paxton. This week before we put him to sleep, he would only drink water and eat little or nothing. He was vomiting so I took him to the vet and his blood test came back all out of whack. I did not want to put my best friend through any more pain and suffering so we had him put to sleep.

Now my question, is he affected by the latest recalls of food? I still have the food and was wondering if anybody knew where to send the food for testing. I am currently trying to get the UPC codes from our purchase history to see if he was eating the affected food. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Paxton, you always be loved and in our hearts forever and if this turns out to be the case with bad food they will pay. Now, I am wondering if I was feeding him poison that caused his death. I am heartbroken over this. RIP Paxton. Please contact me with any help thank you.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Jan. 28, 2012

I just found bugs and larva in a bag of IAMS Proactive Health dog food. Then I find out about all the dogs have gotten sick from IAMS dog food. Are you kidding me, dogs are dying due to your dog food. Why do you still make pet products?!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2012

My ex rushed our otherwise healthy three year old chihuahua to the vet about 6 months ago. They couldn't find anything wrong. She ended up dying overnight. Two weeks ago my otherwise healthy 5 year old chihuahua started throwing up and having diarrhea. After antibiotics, Pepto and a bland diet she was recovering.

Two days ago my aunt had to rush her yellow lab to the emergency vet due to vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. The lab is now recovering. None of these dogs have lived together or had any contact with each other in over a year. All were in otherwise good health and up to date on their vaccines. The one factor that was the same: All three animals were being fed Iams dog food. I will never feed this poison to my animals again. Hundreds of dollars in vet bills and one young dog deceased.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2012

I would never ever buy Iams or P&G products. They lack quality and concern for your pet's health. Look them up on the internet. There are several sites that have nothing but disgust for this company and Proctor & Gamble. Everyone I know that has ever fed Iams to their pet has gotten sick, and the company does horrible animal testing. Check out Iamskills on YouTube. It's horrific.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2012

We had just purchased to bags of the Iams Mini Chunks dog food for our seven dogs. After a few days of eating it, one of them became ill. We thought maybe he just had an upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea, but within a few days he had become fatally ill and this past Friday we had to put him to sleep. The vet thought it was Parvo (because of the symptoms). After reading about the recall for the Aflatoxin in the food, I am sure that it was the food. Now, another one of our dogs is ill and we are afraid that he will end up the same way. We are going to have him tested to see if it is Parvo. We have thrown out the Iams and are hoping that it isn't too late for the rest of our dogs. If this company's food caused the death of our precious baby, be prepared for a lawsuit!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2012

My cats have been throwing up daily from eating Iams dry cat food. I fed my cats the Iams dry food for many years. I trusted the name and never imagined that the food could be the reason that they have been sick and throwing up so much. It had become a daily problem. I too thought that it were hairballs and treated them regularly with petromalt.

After no improvement and researching the possible causes, I discovered that it was the iams food that was making my cats sick! I switched to a higher quality food (read the ingredients) without the fillers that Iams added to its foods. My cats have not thrown up once since the change! They were unable to digest Iams cheap fillers (corn was the worst) and became sick as a result. Iams had these in all their foods and should be ashamed to deceive pet owners into thinking they were choosing a quality product. Get your pets off of Iams and you will see the difference!

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Dec. 29, 2011

This is so disgusting and makes me ** angry that this company has not been sued and went out of business because of their poisonous dog food. My new German Shepherd puppy was eating Diamond Large Breed Puppy food for quite some time until I moved here to Panama City where there is none. I decided since I ran out of that kind of food, I would switch her to Iams Large Breed Puppy food because it was within local distance to get it and not that expensive plus I thought it was a trusted food. Boy, was I wrong.

My dog has been lethargic, having diarrhea, yellow mucous in her stools, won't pee. Now, she has been on it for 2 weeks, won't eat or drink. I also noticed she has purplish gums, not good which means serious illness and I will be taking her to a vet asap. She is usually a very good eater and drinker and this just pisses me off bad that this food has no warning label or is even allowed on store shelves. Whomever said that if these were humans dying, they would take it off the shelf. I believe that is right. I am so scared that she is not going to make it and die especially since she is so loved and was an early Christmas present for my daughter who will be very disappointed and lost without her too. I will be suing this company if this does happen because it is so not right and I see that many people have similar complaints.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2011

A good friend of mine recently switched to Lams dog food and her three dogs became violently ill (lethargic, vomiting, stooling liquid blood). They all recovered within a few days and the vet said they're blood work was fine. I had been dog sitting another friend's 11 year old 4 pound Pomeranian who then became extremely ill with the exact same symptoms. Although we did not feed him the Lams, he may have gotten into something one of the other dogs vomited outside or something. However, he came down with severe pancreatitis and was on the verge of death and had to be hospitalized for three days. Luckily he fully recovered. I just thought it was unusual that he had the exact same symptoms as the other dogs. The vet said all the dogs probably ate the same thing that made them ill, but the older, smaller dog's pancreas took a harder hit due to his size and age. The only thing we can think of is the Lams food. What is going on with this?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2011

I have had some problems with my cats vomiting after eating. My ten-year-old female died of kidney failure at age ten a few years back. One now has a tumor growing in his jaw with but have a few weeks to live, and I have tons of the little brown bugs in their dry food dish from the latest bag of Iams that I bought. I am appalled and outraged thinking I was feeding my beloved pets good nutrition over the years.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Dec. 7, 2011

We had switched, as our dog got older to the senior Iams, and she immediately started going downhill with urinary tract issues, and kidney and liver failure. We have switched to 1+, and the symptoms have started to go away, also with heavy doses of antibiotics and medication she will have to take for the rest of her life. She is 12, and was very happy go lucky, before she was put on the Senior Brand. Our other two year old, which we rescued, was also put on the 1+, and also has become very aggressive. Most likely, we will be switching brands, due to both reasons. I should have read the complaints, before using Iams.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2011

Within one day of eating Senior dog food, my dog is dying. One day ago, he was running around acting like a puppy and now, my 12-year old dog is dying in front of my family from eating a new bag of IAMS senior dog food. If he dies, I will not forgive this company, ever.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Nov. 26, 2011

I bought a 40 pound bag of Iams dog food, because it is supposed to be one of the best brands for dogs, as I was told. It made their bowels loose and runny. Now, they won't eat it. The store won't take it back, because the bag has been opened. How can I get a refund?

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Nov. 25, 2011

I heard good things about Iams so I decided to switch my cat to it. I am using Iams Hairball & Weight Control for Indoor Cats 1 year +. Ever since I have switched, about two weeks ago, he has thrown up once, but has become slightly aggressive, and extremely hyper, jumping up on everything, going under my house, and meowing like crazy, and run away when you let him in the house. This is the cat I've had for three years, and he was not aggressive, and very, very lazy, not wanting to jump, and would come to you when called. I am very unimpressed. Once this bag is gone, I am not buying another one.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Nov. 15, 2011

My dogs have been on Iams for 12 years. We wanted to try the Senior Dog Premium Protection due to their age. Every time they ate the dogfood, they would choke on it and hacked it out. Our dogs are free fed and do not gulp down their food. I never complain but wanted you to be aware of this issue. Fearful that my dogs would choke, I went back to the Large Breed Proactive Health which kind of hurt having to buy two bags of dogfood within a few days due to being on a very tight budget. My dogs have done great on Iams for 12 years and we won't change brands. Thank you.

Iams Dog Food response

Original review: Nov. 12, 2011

My cats have eaten Iams Lamb and Rice for years. They changed the food dot chicken and rice. Without warning, they have now changed the shape of the food and possibly the food formula. My cat who has had a few teeth pulled cannot chew the new food shapes and my kitten doesn't like it.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

Our 3 year old English Bulldog is an epileptic, on medication. We started feeding her a new bag of Iams weight loss food, and within hours, she started having violent seizures. My husband refused to believe it was Iams. She was fed Iams again, that night and morning, until I insisted he stop feeding her that bag.

She had seizures every two hours, for two days, from the start to finish of feeding her Iams. She stopped that second evening, after we stopped feeding her the bag of Iams. I'll post when the blood work comes back.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

My Jack Russell is having joint problem at 10 years. I have seen a post that says Iams dog food gave their dog melanoma. I'm sure you were looking for a cause and I'm so sorry for you lost. I am a 54-year old male and I have stage 3 melanoma caused by the sun, so I have read so much on it. Light-haired dogs can get melanoma like me. I just want to let you know that food does not, by far, cause melanoma. I'm not an Iams promoter, just wanted to say don't blame the food for melanoma or we would all be gone.

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams. Thank you for your comments. Please accept our sincere wishes for your Jack Russell. Your Jack Russell might benefit from one of our diets formulated with Glucosamine, which helps promote healthy joints. If you would like to discuss this with us, please feel free to call us at 800-525-4267 .

Original review: Oct. 26, 2011

My dog died of melanoma which began at his paw then spread to his lungs. I have no evidence or proof that it was the Iams but I assume it was. Dog food manufacturers should show nutrition facts on their bags. They should also allow visits or provide video to see how their food is made or processed. They should also provide the company who they purchase meat/chicken/fish from (if they purchase from an outer source). The laws in this country need to change and we all need to speak up for our loyal friends who can't.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

My cats have all been eating Iams Hairball Control. But I have noticed in the last six months more hairballs.

My Teacup Persian passed away 2 wks ago. He was only 4 yrs old; I miss him dearly. Hind sight is 20/20. I put off switching food cause I trusted it (IAMS). With 2 other cats, it's hard to keep track of which one has hairballs.or throwing up. Please put this up, so others don't have to go through an unnecessary loss of a pet

Original review: Oct. 12, 2011

Their dog cookies have worms in them. We noticed it one time. We thought it was a glitch. We bought some more recently. Again, there were more live worm larvae. It's disgusting. We have found this similar complaint on a variety of websites from other people. IAMS should make sure they clean up their process and seal the ** cookies inside the boxes.

Iams Dog Food Company Information