2. Pets

Iams Dog Food

Iams Dog Food
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Iams Dog Food Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2012

Update on previous food. Blood work came back for my male cat. He is perfectly healthy and the vet agrees that it's most likely that it was his food since medically there was no reason for his vomiting. I will contact P&G/Iams.

Original review: July 18, 2012

Iams Dry Cat Food - Indoor with Hairball prevention: I bought a new bag last week. Immediately, my male cat vomited. At first, I did not believe it was the cat food because my female cat was fine. I took him to the vet, they have run test to see if it is his kidneys. Now, he is acting better (gave him canned cat food) but my female cat is not wanting to eat. I’m waiting to see if she perks up too after being fed a different food. Right now, the food is looking to be the culprit.

Hi Karen:

I work for Iams, and I'm sorry to hear about your cats' experience with our Iams Pro Active Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care. We are happy to speak with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Original review: July 18, 2012

We've been buying Iams Puppy Biscuits for many years over several dogs. We've, over the years, had to pitch a batch because of little moth-like bugs which apparently hatched after the product was opened. I thought when you wrapped the box in plastic wrap, the problem was fixed. However, we were invaded last month and found that the batch we last bought and stored half in a ziplock bag again hatched these creatures. And because the ziplock was not totally fastened, our house was flooded with those bugs. Can't you do something to prevent the eggs from being packaged with the product?

Dear Jerry:

I work for Iams, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our Iams Pro Active Health Puppy Biscuits. We are happy to speak with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Original review: July 18, 2012

The Iams Proactive Health Indoor Weight and Hairball Care 6.8 lbs. bag of cat food with UPC 19014 03921 (220813) 22 Aug 2013 has contributed to the death of our cat Sugar and made our cat Spice very sick. Both of them experienced kidney failure. We see these postings and wonder why there is no recall.

Original review: July 10, 2012

I first wrote my concerns on May 24th. Eloise and Patsy got terribly sick from 2 days of eating Iams (a new bag). They were treated at an Emergency Vet Hospital at midnight. Patsy being younger and sturdier has recovered. Eloise had fought the good fight but could not recover. She was put to sleep last week, after suffering a terrible last day. Iams continues to deny any problems with their food. How can they possibly not be aware, as of today, there are over 290 complaints on this site?

I feel for all the owners and pets who have suffered emotionally, physically and financially. Isn't it time they "own up" and do something right? Not just CYA. I have sent samples to Iams to be tested. I hope they will provide honest results. I have gathered all my information/documentation from website, vet bills, correspondence, etc. I am presenting it for reimbursement to Iams. Their next contact will be from my attorney. Join the fight, Iams need to take responsibility and stop the suffering. We are so sad every day without Eloise! So is Patsy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: July 8, 2012

We brought Jax home from the vet on Friday. The vet said he has done all he could do. His kidneys are failing. It has been a long weekend, hoping and praying he would pull through. His condition worsened and we are faced with the decision to get him assistance in crossing over. Jax will not eat, he does drink a little water and then promptly throws it up. At first we could get him to eat a little boiled chicken, but after the first day, he just turns his head away. It is at the point now that when he tries to stand his balance does not cooperate and his legs slip from under him. Our other dog, Shooger, has gotten better and is no longer vomiting, acting lethargic or refusing to eat. Once we had Jax at the vet, we immediately started feeding her food we had prepared ourselves: boiled chicken, carrots and green beans. She loves it.

We have no other explanation as to why two dogs of different breeds, ages, sex and weight would suddenly begin exhibiting the same symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy and refusal to eat other than the new bag of dog food that was opened and they were fed from one day prior. We have always been an Iams family. We lost our first pet to kidney failure almost 19 years ago, a Great Dane named Astro. Soon after we lost our brother and sister rotties, Boone and Callie. One was lost to a tumor and one to kidney failure. Never in a million years would I have believed that the food I was purchasing from a reputable company would have been responsible for my pets’ death. I do now. Our vet told Iams and he couldn't tell them if the pet food caused Jax to have kidney problems.

The food has not been tested, though Iams has offered and we have accepted to have the food tested. Iams is sending us packets to forward a sample for testing. We still have the open bag of dog food and we also plan to have it tested independently. This issue is not closed or resolved. Iams says they have not received any complaints. If your pet is exhibiting these symptoms and you suspect the Iams dog food, complain. Call their 800 number and complain. Follow through before many more pets are lost to diseases caused by this company. We will never ever feed our pets Iams again.

Original review: July 7, 2012

I have a 3 1/2 month chocolate Lab who started having explosive diarrhea about 10 days ago. I thought it was from something she could have gotten into when I wasn't looking. I've spent every day and night with her since this started to keep an eye on her and to continuously clean up after her terrible messes. She's only had an accident twice since we got her at 7 weeks until this happened. After talking with the vet, I stopped giving her any treats, just her puppy food. But she continued to get worse and I thought I was going to lose her. Thank God I found a complaint posted on July 5th regarding two dogs that had the same symptoms as mine. Since July 5th, I have stopped feeding my dog, Zoe, the Iams food and have been making her food myself. She's turning back into the lively puppy she was two weeks ago. I can't believe this was a coincidence especially it happening at the same time. I pray the other reviewers' dogs are okay. The review saved my dog's life!

Dear Ms Kelly:

I work for Iams, and I'm sorry to hear about Zoe's experience with our Iams Pro Active Smart Puppy food. We are happy to speak with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: July 5, 2012

We purchased a new bag of Iams around the 22nd of June. Our largest dog, a beagle blue healer mix named Shooger, was the first to get sick. Because our little red minpin, Jax, did not get sick, we didn't believe it was the food at first; though we both wondered because it was a new bag. Shooger was vomiting, would not eat, had diarrhea and was lethargic. We tried mixing cottage cheese with her food to settle her stomach and stop the diarrhea. It didn't work. A trip to the vet, who said she had a virus and prescribed pills and bland dog food for her. She started getting better about the time our Jax started getting sick. He was acting lethargic, wouldn't eat, had diarrhea and was vomiting. We took him to the vet first thing this morning on July 5th. He is having to stay overnight hooked up to fluids. His kidneys and pancreas are failing. He has pancreatitis.

We are very angry with Iams especially after reading this board. We called the number they keep posting here and it took forever to get through. We were told they had received no complaints or concerns, not one. Call and complain. So far our vet bill is $300+.

Hi Mr. Billings,

We take all concerns very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to post. We also appreciate your loyalty to Iams. I know you spoke with one of our technicians today.

Our Consumer Care team talks with thousands of consumers every month. This team documents all questions, testimonials and concerns into a database that allows us to trend and track data. We have reviewed all data and have no other concerns or complaints related to this product and code. Also, it is important to add that all of our dry products are manufactured by company-owned plants that exceed industry-wide standards and are certified by the American Feed Industry Association. We go through 120 rigorous quality checks to ensure superior nutrition and quality. Please know we take your concerns seriously and we will work with you to better understand and resolve this concern.

We are available from 9p-6p Monday through Friday EST. Again, thank you for making us aware of this. We are a company of pet lovers and pet owners and understand how upsetting it is to have a sick pet.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: June 30, 2012

I have fed my cats Iams for many years. This spring I noticed a greatly increased number of hairballs (and they had vomit in them). Also, there was an increasing amount of vomit with no hair. The food was Active Maturity Proactive Health with hairball care. I stopped feeding the bag to them and purchased a bag of Proactive Health Original with chicken. They stopped the vomiting. Two or three days ago I purchased and began feeding the same Original formula with chicken (new bag) and I now have vomit all over the house again. I can't believe what I'm reading. My cats will never again eat anything made by Iams. I still have the 2 bags of food. Can I get a refund with the proof of purchase UPC? I don't have my receipts anymore.

Dear Ms. Miller -

I work for Iams, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our Iams Cat Food. We are happy to speak with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: June 29, 2012

About a month ago, both of our dogs, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a Lab mix, were up in the middle of the night vomiting and with diarrhea. We had bought the mini chunks Iams food and thought that it was the switch from large breed to that, so we went and bought the large breed bag. Their symptoms did not subside. Then, I figured I might look on the web to see if anyone has had issues with Iams food. Sure enough, I found some complaints about other pet owners experiencing the same problem. I called Iams, as we had already purchased two 40 lb. bags at this time and they said it was the first they had heard of it. Lies!

They were very kind to send us vouchers for both of the bags of food after we sent in the UPC codes. In the meantime, after feeding both dogs hamburger and rice until their symptoms went away, we switched them to Beneful. I have always had good experiences with this with my Lab. They were fine. We received the two vouchers in the mail, so I decided to use one this past Sunday. Not even 24 hours after the Chesapeake Bay Retriever ate the food, she had diarrhea again! I just called Iams back. I am sending in the second voucher that we did not use and asked for a full refund for the two 40 lb. bags of food that we had purchased from the company. I will never buy this dog food again. Although their customer service team is great, their food is not.

Hi Andrea,

I'm sorry to hear our Iams dog food didn't work for your Chesapeake Bay Retriever nor your Lab mix. Please call again if you would like to try Iams again and we'll find a product for your two dogs that is ideal.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: June 28, 2012

My puppy has been sick the last four days after eating Iams puppy food. I bought this bag about a week ago. A family member recommended the food as a good source of nutrition. I will be taking my pup to the vet after reading the posts about Iams dog food.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: June 27, 2012

This month, I went to the store to buy some dog foods specifically for toy dogs. I haven't bought Iams before so I decided to try it out. Soon after feeding it to my Chihuahua, he had symptoms of extreme diarrhea and vomiting for 4 days. To make things worse, my standard poodle decided to steal some of his food and he got really sick as well, which was a very unpleasant experience. The dog food needs to be recalled.

Original review: June 24, 2012

Five days ago, we opened a bag of Iams (small dogs/toy), the same that we get all the time. One of my dogs became ill immediately and the other didn't so we didn't think it was the food. We mixed the Iams with the rice to settle his stomach. Two days ago, my smallest became ill too with the same symptoms which are vomiting, diarrhea (with blood), and lethargy. I thought about the food again and came to this website to look for a phone number to call customer service tomorrow and to check for any recalls. I have since thrown all, but a little, out (just in case it's needed for testing). Oreo is improving and Bella Mia is very sick. We have been bringing water to her every half hour and she is drinking it. I'm very angry after reading these posts and finding out this food hasn't been recalled at all. Iams is going to pay my vet bill if I have to take her to the vet. We are praying they will both be okay.

Original review: June 24, 2012

My 16-week old puppy started a second bag of Iams Puppy and within a day began having diarrhea. On the third day, she had an attack of diarrhea and vomiting that lasted for four hours, and then she laid in her crate for 8 hours (probably dehydrated and depleted). I nursed her back to health with rice and hamburger and attempted to return her to Kibble on the third day. She actually cried when we tried to hand feed her the Iams Puppy. I went to the pet store and purchased Nutro puppy, which she immediately devoured. She has now returned to normal eating and I have disposed of the Iams Puppy. I wish I would have read this page earlier.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: June 20, 2012

2 Dogs sick for 48 hours June 16, 2012. Iams Adult Chicken Mini Chunks. We have been using Iams for the past 6 months. We purchased a new bag of food just about a week ago and after our 2 dogs finished eating, they both became very sick. They had diarrhea with blood for at least 48 hours. My wife suspected the food, so we just fed the dogs rice until their stomachs calmed down and purchased a new brand of dog food. The 30lbs of Iams is going in the trash.

No fun when you have 3 little kids to keep up with and you have to deal with 2 sick dogs on top of that. We have 2 young dogs, a Springer Spaniel and a small white dog mixed breed (Bichon Shih Tzu). They are doing fine now.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: June 19, 2012

I purchased a small bag of Iams on the way home from vacation. My dog had been on Iams for 13 years. He was sick within 2 hours of eating the new bag and eventually got worse. An eventual vet visit suggested the dog food to be the culprit, be it stored improperly before purchase at the small store, a bad batch. The thought being was that one particular bag was the cause. I had KC on boiled rice and venison, and boiled rice and ground beef. He recovered after 6-8 days. I've read some of the stories here online and called the Iams customer service listed in a complaint posted here. Though it was tough to get through, I eventually did talk to Sandy and she issued a credit right away.

KC is doing better and I will give the Iams another try to see how he does with it. He has always enjoyed it in the past and has a great coat and energy for a 13-year old wirehair. I feel that Iams treated me as well as can be expected. I needed to have KC in for his heartworm.

Original review: June 15, 2012

On Sunday, June 10, 2012, my 11-year-old black lab woke us up at 5 o'clock in the morning vomiting, diarrhea and would not eat. Her condition deteriorated throughout the day. She couldn't even keep down water. We became very worried about her because she was very lethargic and weak. We were afraid to wait until the morning to take her to the vet. So, we drove an hour to the nearest animal hospital. The vet on call was concerned because of her age. They gave her IV fluids and they did blood work to ensure her liver was functioning. Her blood work came back in the normal ranges. They kept her overnight and that was the last I thought I was going to see her. In the morning, she was still vomiting and refusing food.

The vet at that point suggested they do an ultrasound to ensure she did not have tumor or blockage in her digestive system. We did and that revealed no major issues. She did however have an inflamed intestine. It was only late in the day when she finally started to eat and we were able to take her home. It is only today that she seems back to normal. We have been Iams weight control users for many years. We just opened a new 40lb bag of food that Friday. Based on this experience and the results, we concluded that there had to be something wrong with the food.

Iams Pet care

Original review: June 5, 2012

I had just opened a new bag of Iams Mini Chunks and my 10 year old Toy Fox Terrier had eaten it twice before she stopped eating and became very lethargic. She refused to eat anything and started having diarrhea, although she continued to drink water. We took her to the vet and they did a blood test. We brought her home for 1 night and waited for the results of the blood test. That night she started vomiting each time that she took in some water.

The next morning, the blood test showed all her liver values were through the roof. They immediately put her on IV with meds to support the liver and pain meds. During the night, she needed a plasma transfusion because we were told that she was bleeding internally. This went on for 4 days until I could not stand to see her in pain anymore. So $7,500 later and 4 days of misery we decided to put her down. We also during this time had an ultrasound done and it showed that the liver was not cancerous but the liver, gall bladder and pancreas were all tremendously inflamed. The only thing that changed in her routine was that we opened a new bag of food.

Original review: May 30, 2012

I have three beagles (10, 7, and 2 yo). My wife decided to switch the two older beagles from Iams Weight Control Bits to the Senior Bits. After the first feeding, my female became violently ill. She exhibited, within hours of eating, bloody stools, diarrhea, vomiting, and lethargy. My older male has a tougher constitution. Although he had been acting subdued after his first feeding, we attributed it to his concern for our other dog. He had a second meal before he began vomiting and running diarrhea 18 hours later. When he vomited up the food, we realized it was the Iams Senior Bits that had made them both of them sick. My youngest (male) which did not eat the Senior Bits remained healthy. I have had both dogs on chicken and rice now for two days and they both appear to be getting better. We purchased the 20 lbs bag of Senior Bits from a Super Target store in El Paso, TX on 26 May '12. I will be taking the food and my dogs to our vet to confirm our suspicions.

Iams Pet care

Original review: May 29, 2012

I have been feeding my dogs Iams Lamb and Rice the past few years. Starting a week or so ago, they were all acting reluctant to eat the food (they happily eat other food offered), but they eventually ate the Iams. Most of my completely healthy dogs (ages 1 through 18) are now sick with diarrhea, vomiting, etc. Did the formula change? Is there a recall? What is going on with this food? I am very concerned, especially after seeing the recent similar post from another Massachusetts resident. I will be returning the extra bags I bought. I’m not sure what else to buy and I’m praying my dogs recover. Iams needs to let consumers know ASAP if there is a suspected problem.

Original review: May 28, 2012

I, too, have been feeding my feline family members Iams cat food for years. One of them is a big eater and has never refused to eat anything. I purchased a new bag of weight and hairball Iams dry food and they both began to eat very sparingly. They walk up to the dish, sniff and walk away. One cat threw up 4 times. After a few days of watching them both not wanting to eat (they have no problem eating Fancy Feast in a can), I started looking online for information. I can't tell you how pissed off I am to read all of these posts. I feel terrible that a "trusted" brand has been making my pets sick! Iams is no longer a trusted name. Please don't feed this crap to your pets.

Original review: May 28, 2012

We have been very satisfied Iams customers for over 15 years. We never had any problems. Two weeks ago, I bought a new bag of food, smaller than usual as I noticed a price increase, but the same green bag I always buy. Right away, my 5 year old Golden Retriever began vomiting and refusing to eat the food. I took her off it for a couple days and the condition cleared. I reintroduced the food and she happily ate, but within 24 hours, the condition returned but this time, with blood in her vomit and in her stool. She has been on hamburger and rice for 5 days now, hoping to improve. I thought we might have gotten a bad bag of food, but now that I saw the other reviews, it sounds like it wasn't just one bad bag. Guess I have to find a new dog food.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: May 24, 2012

I sit at the phone waiting for my vet to call about Eloise's condition. My two mini Schnauzers had become sick after eating from a new bag of Iams ProActive Lamb and Rice bought two days prior. They began vomiting and having diarrhea (with blood) on Monday evening. By Tuesday, they were both suffering. That evening, we took them to the emergency vet. We could not control the projectile of the bloody diarrhea. Our youngest dog was treated with fluids and RX for diarrhea and came home. She is improving on a diet of rice and chicken and still has to be led to the water bowl. She is still somewhat sedentary - not normal for her. Eloise is 13 and not as strong to fit this terrible reaction. She is on IV fluids, pain medication and now has started to suffer from seizures. We took our bag of Iams back to Target and got a refund. But as of today, we are out $1700 and perhaps the loss of our beloved Eloise. We are heart-broken and hope something can be done so other loved pets do not suffer.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: May 21, 2012

I followed all the rules. I bought four 44-pound bags of Iams ProActive MiniChunks, saved the receipts, proofs of purchase, and mailed them all in so that I could get one free bag. The coupon I received is for one free bag up to 40 pounds. I spent nearly $160 on the four bags and now I can only get a smaller bag? That hardly seems fair. I should have received a coupon for one 44-pound bag and hope to receive that from you as soon as possible.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: May 17, 2012

I decided to try Senior Plus for my Cairn Terrier and Westie. After eating it for approximately 10 days, they both developed vomiting, runny stool and dehydration. The Cairn Terrier required hospitalization twice. I have now spent $800 to get them on the road to recovery. I am hoping for the best.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: May 11, 2012

We switched our 13-year-old dog from IAMS Mature Adult to IAMS Senior Plus and after 2-3 weeks, she has developed diarrhea and vomiting. We are now giving her rice and cooked beef in an attempt to stabilize her. From the similar complaints I have read, it appears that IAMS and P&G have some quality/product issues. UPC code: 190146058; 6.1 lbs.; 02J UN 14.

Iams Pet Care

Original review: April 29, 2012

We recently switched to Iams food from a different brand. We have been using this food for the past few months and our dog enjoyed it. I opened a new 33# bag on Thursday. This was the first new bag since they switched from the 40# bag. Since then, our dog has had diarrhea and horrible gas. We are not pleased with whatever change has taken place with this company. We will be switching foods again. There is obviously some problem with the food by all the comments that have been posted.

Iams Dog Food response

I work for Iams, and we are happy to talk with you about your concern. Please feel free to call us Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 800-525-4267. Thank you.

Iams Pet Care Specialist

Original review: April 23, 2012

I have been a loyal Iams dog food customer for many years. I usually purchase the large 40 lb dog food bag and have paid $32 at PetSmart and other establishments. Now, only a 33 pound bag is available for more money ($34). What gives? They say their costs are higher, really. All of a sudden their costs are 17.5% higher? They commented that the price that we buy the product at is the control of the store. They say not. Do they think that the consumer is that oblivious that they won't notice? Like the consumer thinks that they are buying the same amount because it is in the large bag for around the same price and they don't look at how many pounds are in the large bag? Well, there may be a few of those but I would think that their consumer would be sharper than that.

Maybe we should start a new movement to not buy Iams products anymore. Sending me a $3 coupon doesn't make me any happier! My costs of living are higher too, so much so that I don't feel like giving them my money and will go buy a cheaper (in price) product.

Original review: April 20, 2012

I left a review on 03-27-12. I had my dog food tested for salmonella as I stated in my other review. The results came back negative. I used a laboratory I have used in the past for other issues and trust them. This lab was my choice and not a choice of Iams. I can safely say that the dog food that I tested that made my dog sick was from another source, not Iams. Iams did send me several free coupons for 20 lb bags of dog food. I am giving them to our local humane society.

Original review: April 12, 2012

We have a 12 year old Lab that is very much a big part of our family. She goes everywhere with us from a ride to the store to wherever we go on vacation. I'm not the type of person to complain just to complain. In fact, this is my first letter of complaint ever.

Our dog has had Iams dog food since she was a pup, even when times are tough she still had her food. Recently, we had purchased 2 bags and 12 cans of Iams Dog food for her in preparation for a short lay off from work. We feed her every day at about the same time, many days she would be waiting for us to get her food. One morning, I fed her and left for a few hours and came home to find our girl had vomited in a few spots and found her to be kind of mopey, unlike her personality. We thought maybe she just ate to fast at first. The same night, we fed her again and she vomited and had very soft stools. The next few days, feeding went about the same. The following day she wouldn't even touch her food. She sniffed it and walked away.

The next 4 days, this went on that she stuck her nose up to her food but would eat some of our leftovers. We thought this was a very strange behavior for her as she always looked forward to her own food. I found this website and read some people’s complaints and found it amazing and saddening that we weren't alone. We have quit feeding her Iams as of this week and are now out the money for the Iams food and the new food we are introducing her to. FYI, this isn't about the money, but about our dog getting sick on a product that is getting more expensive while the quality goes down.

To get her to eat a new food we didn't use any Iams to transition her but have been making her burger rice and carrots on the stove, letting it all cool then mixing in the new dog food that was recommended to us at the feed store. We are still weaning her from the extras in her food. I'm not going to try to rush her as she is too old to be rushed. She seems to like her new food.

We are very disappointed in the fact that we had to switch brands of dog food at this point of her life as she always loved Iams products. I doubt that we will ever be Iams customers ever again. We wanted to also thank everyone that has written a complaint here as your info has been very helpful to us and in the recovery to our family member.

Iams Pet Care Specialist