2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (156 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Hills Pet Foods

Hill’s creates science-based diets for your pets. The company emphasizes quality and employs people with a dietary background to propel its product development. Hill’s pet foods use high-quality ingredients, and the company performs daily safety checks on finished products to add an extra layer of protection.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Hills Pet Food

Hills Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: April 26, 2021

Lambchop my Maltese was diagnosed with a congenital liver shunt~thus along with meds he required a strict diet with very limited protein. The one food he seemed to tolerate was Hills Rx L/D (wet). I'm not sure he was getting all the vitamins and everything he did need but at least the L/D food wasn't creating ammonia or causing neurotoxins to build up~and he remained stable. Until this February when Hills abruptly, randomly~without warning or explanation~stopped supplying this product! No recall notice, no heads up just out of the blue it was neither available in stores nor online anywhere.

I cont'd to search frantically~ while just trying to prepare any foods (rice, sweet potato, oatmeal) that at least wouldn't cause him to spiral. Eventually his vet wrote for another Rx hepatic support dog food but that was poorly tolerated by Lambchop. I contacted Hills Consumer Affairs repeatedly~ and each time was given a different story. I felt totally helpless, as I watched my beloved companion succumb to the sudden, debilitating effects of liver dysfunction. Brave to the very end eventually by April his effect was dull and he was barely lucid as the neurotoxins had begun bathing his brain. :( Had we been given any warning that his liver support food was being discontinued~a recall notice, anything~I might have had time to research and locate alternatives. Irresponsible breeding destined Lambchop for a challenging life~but Hills negligible actions sealed his fate and he died on Easter at just three years of age.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Please if you love your animals do the research before giving them Hills Pet Food. Yes every vet pushes Hills, they are a faceless company that is surely in cahoots with the despicable factory farms across this country. Not one word on their website addresses QUALITY or the SOURCE of the animals used in their products. Just google images of factory farms, sick, abused animals do not make healthy food. IE. PORK BY PRODUCTS - HOW in the world is PORK BY-PRODUCTS good for my cat.

It's basically the garbage swept up off the killing floor, and is the FIRST ingredient in their C/D brand of food for cats. Sure it might help my cat's urinary tract but it will probably get them sick in some other worse way. Just read some of these testimonies here, and goole HILLS LAW SUIT. FOR SHAME on Hills for their deceptive practices. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH. Hills does not care about your pets, they are all about the bottom line and keeping sick factory farms in business.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I beg you to read what I have to say because it may save a pet's life. Vets sell the Hills food for pets (also called the Science Diet). Research them- 35 lawsuits have been filed against them, and have been combined into one federal lawsuit. Pets are dying after eating their food. Cancer causing aflatoxins were found in their food. Organs are shutting down after starting the Hills diet. Several sources claim vets make a profit through the Hills by pushing their products. Do the research. All I know is that I held this angel of a dog, dying too young from cancer, in my arms on the way home from an oncologist in Redwood City who said he was too far gone for chemo. And when the cancer started to take over his lungs and he struggled to breathe well, I cried my soul out as he was euthanized in my arms.

This dog has been seeing this vet since we got him. I saw what he was eating and immediately warned my Mom- she said "but the VET recommended it." Then, his kidneys started failing. Then a year later, cancer spread like wildfire before we could do chemo. Is the Hills responsible, and this vet? I'm not a scientist so I can't tell you- HOWEVER, WHY WOULD A VET SELL AND PUSH A PRODUCT THAT HAS BEEN SUED AND CLAIMED TO KILL PETS BY THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE. There are so many brands out there that don't have people claiming this, why not choose one of those instead? Save your pet's life. Do not feed them the Hills. Do not trust a vet that actively stands by and possibly profits from a product thousands of people say have killed their pets. I miss my angel so much and I don't want anyone to go through what we did.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Gave my girl a bad liver. I hope we caught it in time. She's been on it for about six months. Was having teeth cleaning so we did pre-blood work. High liver enzymes. Has to be that food. Last time she had blood tests, her tests were great. Changed her food back to previous. Hope she makes it through.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My first order for Little Yorkie was Vet Script for canned & bag dry food. We were to blend as required. Smallest size order was pack of 12 cans & 8.5 lb bag of dry chunks. The freaking chunks were too big for his mouth, so we had to crush (probably liberating its vitamin efficiency). Next a can of solid food would last a week in that mixing with dry each meal required only a tablespoon of wet for each of 3 meals per day. Here’s the hitch, by the time we opened the 3rd can of wet food we discovered it was half to 5/8 liquid. DAH! I’m buying water in cans at a rate of $45/12 pack of cans. A Freaking RipOFF! Immediately called Tech support, pulled Teeth for 30 minutes to get some ignorant CS to understand what the actual issue was. One person actually said it makes no Diff whether it’s liquid or solid in can, it still has same amount of ingredient value. DAH! ** I said. Bye!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

What is WRONG with Hill's???? I had to start feeding one of my senior cats prescription Z/D dry food a few months ago. Things started out well because she liked the size, consistency and taste of the Z/D - she would wolf it down. THEN just recently Hills changed to a "new formula & kibble" (red label now on the bag). HORRIBLE. The food pellets are BIGGER and HARDER and my cat HATES it. She won't even eat it until she gets really hungry. And I have no choice because she has severe IBD and can't eat anything else. What freaking nimrod at Hill's decided they needed to change the formula/food so drastically???? THEY TOTALLY RUINED THE FOOD!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My Shih Tzu has been eating Hills Science (small toy breed kind) and has never had any issues. This was the only dry food I could get her to eat without adding anything to it like meat or shredded cheese and her skin and fur was beautiful. But when the bag changed to a new look a couple months ago, the kibble also changed. My 3 yr old Shih Tzu still ate it but I noticed after a few weeks that she was scratching a lot more than usual.

I continued to buy for 5 more months thinking it was just seasonal allergies. But over time she kept getting worse and worse. Everyday I see matted hair on the ground (which I never saw before) and now she has had 3 hot spots on her sides and bottom. Vet says she has a food allergy, and it must be from the change in dry food ingredients. Nothing about her diet on my behalf has changed of what I give her. ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Good bye Hills Science Diet. I will now switch back to Royal Canin. Not worth the vet bills for treatment and her being in agony.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I went to the vet because my cat had been throwing up almost daily for a couple weeks. The vet ran blood tests and found nothing. She suggested to try Hill's I/d because it was "easily digestible". I wish I had read the other reviews of this food first. She ate the food fine for the first couple days. Then, everything related to my cat's digestion got worse. She started throwing up constantly, didn't want to eat, and started having diarrhea. At first I thought it was the progression of whatever illness she had, and I even went so far as to look into at-home euthanasia. Then I thought to myself, why feed her this stupid food that she doesn't like if she's going to die? So I went and read reviews of this just to help me make an informed decision related to taking her off of it, only to find LOTS of other people that have had this food make their pets worse.

One of the other reviewers asked why this requires a prescription, since there's no medicine or regulated substance of any kind. My only guess is that the company uses the prescriptions to track which vets are giving them business. My sister-in-law told me that one vet she went to recommended the same brand, but she read reviews before purchasing and was horrified to see all the negative reviews. She never went back to that vet, and I will never be going back to the one who recommended this food to me.

I ASSUME that vets recommending this food is not a coincidence. The brand must have some sort of monetary relationship with vets, paying them money to get people to buy their awful food. This food is probably made of the lowest possible quality ingredients, ensuring Hill's maximizes their profits off of their over-priced **. My cat is back on her old food, eating it, and doing much better. Her diarrhea is gone. She is still vomiting some, but not as regularly, and she is behaving as if she feels much better.

I ALMOST KILLED MY CAT because of this food! I can't even believe I fell for this awful trick. I bet tons of people spend so much money trying to "treat" their "sick" animal while feeding them this food. It is a win-win for vets & Hill's - Hill's makes money from the food, the vets make money treating all the problems the food creates. I would STRONGLY advise against feeding this to your pet, and would also advise to stop going to any vet that recommends it. Learn from my mistake - find a new vet and a different food.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Vet prescribed y/d for my cat with hyperthyroidism when the usual medications didn't work for him. I tried the wet food and the dry food. He wouldn't eat it. His appetite is fine, he just knew better. Had to resort to every trick I could find to get him to eat. And his weight dropped and his health worsened. There is nothing in it that warrants a prescription. It contains ingredients that are commonly found in the lowest quality foods, at more than double the price of higher quality brands. After a year of struggling to get him to eat it, I gave up and began cooking a low-iodine diet for him at home. He has regained weight and his thyroid levels are testing better. It's quite easy and inexpensive Shame on the vets who push this food. Whatever incentives your clinics get from Hills are at the expense of the pets who get stuck choking this stuff down.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My diabetic Yorkie ate this for 5 YEARS with no issues. They recently changed it -- he snubbed his nose at it, but had to eat it because of the diabetes. Had a SEIZURE this morning. Took him to vet. Brought him home. Fed him dinner. SEIZURE before he was finished eating it. Continued to seize, back to vet where he was screaming so bad from the seizures. They had to give him anesthesia. Said he probably would continue this if he took off the anesthesia. Had to put him down. The ONLY thing different was this food. Had his diabetes controlled for 5 years!!!! DO NOT RISK THIS FOOD.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information