2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (157 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Hills Pet Foods

Hill’s creates science-based diets for your pets. The company emphasizes quality and employs people with a dietary background to propel its product development. Hill’s pet foods use high-quality ingredients, and the company performs daily safety checks on finished products to add an extra layer of protection.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Hills Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I no longer feed my dogs Hills Science Diet. I am not a fan of a company who feeds dogs, that test on dogs, beagle specifically and euthanizes them. After the feeding trials those dogs do not live past being fed garbage.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have a beloved Yorkshire terrier. Family pet. Unconditional love. Oscar was poisoned in January. I knew he had been poisoned, but I couldn't figure out how. How? I took him to the vet and we did blood work and gave fluids. My dog had hypercalcemia and I was told to brace myself, he would have a cardiac event any minute and would be dead. I should be prepared.

I nursed Oscar back to life -- not health-- by hand feeding him, carrying outside to pee and poop, propping him up, now he is very very bad. Very very much dying before my eyes. He can't walk. He can barely crawl -- sometimes. He can't move correctly his front elbows. He is very very thin. Hills food products killed him. It is killing me watching him die. Their products need to stop being sold in the US until proven safe because they are not safe. Hills must give compensation -- which won't compensate this loss -- but if they don't, they should face criminal charges.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I bought Hills liver l/d health food because my dog has elevated liver enzymes and my vet recommended a switch. However, upon introducing the new food into my dog’s diet, I notice about 5 days later that my dog was seeking more water than usual, a drastic decrease in energy and showed signs of pain. All he wanted was to cuddle and not move, it got progressively worst and on day 7 when he started farting and showed signs of stomach ache, I decided to research his symptoms and crosscheck them with this brand of food. People have expressed alarming similarities to what my dog is starting to seem like and I decided to stop the use of the food and return the it. Please please, people keep an eye on your dogs and be aware of how they react with such changes as prescribed by vets.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I want a food that has been tested by feeding trials in dogs. Hills is a reputable company whose products are backed by science. They use Quality ingredients and have their own labs and test facilities. The food is tasty, well tolerated, keeps skin and coat healthy, and produces firm stool with no smelly intestinal gas.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Atlantic Veterinary Hospital in Marblehead, MA. After a routine cleaning, my veterinarian offered me Hills T/D Dental - advocating it pretty well. So I did what they said and made the switch... And my vet lost my trust. Like others who have experienced this, my dog ate this food less and less until it made her sick and blood leaked from her rectum. **And she refused to eat it.

Finally suspecting the food, I looked online to find all these reviews. Naturally, I didn't want her to eat anymore of it so I couldn't gradually switch the food out...After I gave her Regional Red from Orijen (Which she gobbled right up), I then had to deal with diarrhea all over my apartment. And since Hill's is outrageously overpriced, I can say with all honesty my dog went through unnecessary pain and suffering (and if we hadn't caught it in time who knows how bad it could have been) and everyone also knows how lovely it is to pick diarrhea up from all over the carpet...and finally what a waste of $$!!!

But worst of all is the fact that vets are recommending this to unsuspecting pet owners!!! I can't believe that. Is there some kind of deal this food has with vets (as if they already don't make too much money off people)? Whatever the case is it's very alarming. One of these reviews say this food killed their animal. I am pretty sure vets shouldn't be offering foods with reviews like that. I am so mad, as a consumer I would like to propose a lawsuit to anyone else who had to deal with this. For morality's sake.

Original review: April 12, 2019

It is highly rated. My dog likes it and she is very healthy. The dog food doesn't have fillers and keeps her fit as she is very active. Never have any complaints from the vet and my dog never looks lethargic.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Two dogs have flourished on this product over a number of years. I buy it online and in big bags for convenience (mostly - they are heavy!) because I can count on it being available. I use the chicken flavor.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Originally I thought another dog food was making my dog sick so I took her to the vet to help her but instead she went on this prescription dog food. Before this dog food she had a clean bill of health from her vet, no cancer, kidneys, liver, pancreas, heart all great. She died in two weeks, when I started to feed her I had no idea I was feeding her poison. She slowly got worse drinking water excessively, she couldn't even though she loved life and I just keep on feeding her that food thinking I was making her better. Her lymph nodes were swollen now and her diarrhea would not stop. I had no idea that it was recalled for excessive Vitamin D. She got so bad that she could not walk or move but she just drooled and finally threw up excessively. She finally died, Now I know that this group of dog food from Hills prescription was recalled from last year and I am just waiting until they look into this batch of their dog food. Please do not feed your dog this food.

Original review: March 24, 2019

My Yorkie I've had for 6 years always had skin issues and my vet recommended z/d food sensitivity to try. I fed her the wet dog food for 4 days and on the 5th day she woke up vomiting, drinking water excessively, diarrhea, lethargic and peeing a lot. I took her to the vet where she stayed for 2 days because she was in kidney failure. My vet was in disbelief how fast she was declining and so was I. I had to put her down...and nothing was wrong with my Sassy until she ate this food. DON'T BUY THIS FOOD. I WISH I NEVER DID. I'M HEARTBROKEN. I'm being made to rate this food. I would give it a ZERO FOR THE DEATH OF MY BABY.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Over the years I've researched quite a few pet food makers. I look for nutritional value and if my pets like the taste. Hills is sold at our veterinarian office, so of course I started with them. It was great, but with all these new companies coming out, I've tried a few. I should have left well enough alone. My little ones are back on Hills Science Diet and I should have never fell for other companies false claims. In my opinion, Hills Science Diet is the best!

Hills Pet Foods Company Information