2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats

3.9/5 (119 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Greenies

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Greenies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: June 17, 2021

Even though I’m horrified to read about all the horror stories of cats dying and dogs getting sick, I honestly can’t say I’ve ever had a bad experience with this company or its products. In August of 2019, I adopted Dakota who is the absolute light of my life. As a new pet owner, it was a constant trial and error with finding an appropriate dog food right down to healthy supplements and treats. I loved the ingredients list for Greenies dental treats and Dakota has never had any trouble with it.

I’ve actually been told on two separate occasions when I scheduled a dental cleaning that it wasn’t necessary because his teeth were in excellent shape. I’ve also used pill pockets since like most dogs, the taste of medicine doesn’t exactly appeal to him. The chicken and hickory smoked flavors seem to be the best and pill time has never been easier for me. And even though my Ko doesn’t have an iron stomach, he’s never suffered from loose stools, diarrhea, or vomiting as a result of this company. I’m sad that some folks have gone through what they have with their pets’ health declining and I can only hope that I will personally never go through that experience as a result of someone else messing up.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I have been using GREENIES Grain free now for two weeks and my dog is now so sick he has bloody diarrhea and is suffering so much all he does is drink water and poop.. I will NEVER use this product EVER.. How can this make him so ill, I am taking him to the vet today. I hope he will survive as he is so young.. Please consider your pet's life should you buy this stuff.. I love my dog so much..

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2021

I reached out twice already in two years to let Greenies know as a loyal long time customer how I loved their products even when I had a bad stale batch purchased from my local state brothers market. I went out of my way to try a different batch from my local Target which were more fresh! My dogs love it so now I shop there for chews. But, their customer service rep end did not compensate or coupon or help in any way to alleviate the situation. Coming from 10 years in customer service I couldn’t believe this is how they treat their customers with a complaint and compliment for loyalty. Truly disappointed!

Original review: May 6, 2021

On Jan. 13, 2021 Greenies treats were delivered to me from Chewy.com. I got them for my middle-aged cat because she liked canned food, had some bad breath, and I wanted her to eat something that would benefit her dental health. I wanted her to eat more dry food as well and give her treats for being a good kitty. I would give her 5 to 8 morsels at night to make her happy. If I didn't give her the treats she would keep meowing and I couldn't sleep at night. In the morning I would find the morsels mostly chewed up with some residual.

Over time I started noticing that my cat was getting diarrhea and whining when she went to the kitty litter. Several times you could tell that the Greenies were in the diarrhea as it looked a greenish color. But, when I stopped giving the treats for a few days, the diarrhea quit. Now mind you, my kitty was Siamese, so she was always vocal, and it was hard to tell what her exact issue is/was.

A week leading up to her death she developed a need for more water, an unwillingness to eat, and then constipation or some form of blockage. She appeared to be gassy and moaned off/on in pain. She was throwing up several times a day. She became wobbly when she walked, so I trimmed her back claws thinking that was the cause -- it wasn't. She liked to jump on my lap. She was having problem jumping straight. Three times a day I hand-fed her, only to have her throw it up later. She was also throwing up liquid and became dehydrated. My kitty passed away on May 5, 2021. My other cat, who is age 15, eats only dry food, doesn't like or eat Greenies treats, and she is doing fine.

Original review: April 1, 2021

My 2 yr old cat has been eating Greenies for almost a year and he loves them. BUT recently I had bought 2 lg bags from one of the big box stores and I had a small bag from the local grocery store. large bags were salmon flavor and catnip flavor dental treats and the small bag was also salmon flavor dental treats. All bags had more than a year before expiry date. I gave my cat some of one of the lg bags and he threw up 20min later. I didn't think it was the treats as he had not reacted to them like this before so next day I gave him some of same bag and he threw up again within 20 min. So the following day I opened the other big bag and gave him figuring it may be one bad bag and he threw up again! So then next day I gave him some from the small bag I had got at the grocery store and he threw those up also within 20 min!!! That's 3 different bags from 2 different stores!!!

Clearly these treats are contaminated with something. After reading other reviews I see I'm lucky he was able to throw them up and is OK. Seems many pet owners weren't as lucky. WHAT A HORRID COMPANY TO SELL FOOD THAT MAKES OUR PETS SICK. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE THESE AGAIN NOR ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS MADE BY Mars Petcare US. I hope someone brings a class action lawsuit against them...it's the very least they deserve!

Original review: March 21, 2021

Hello,

As Many other pet owners, we experienced a loss of one of our beloved cats (superstition preclude using our cat's names). Her sister, is fairing well (fingers crossed) after treatment and special foods/medicines to arrest the damage from the Greenies Cat treats. We were perplexed when both of our cats showed symptoms of lack of lack of elimination, no interest in food, vomiting, falling, weakness, lack of motor control, and in one case coma and death within a period of 1 and 1/2 days. The cat that passed away had several of the treats. We were not able to save her and she died in my daughter's arms. We were able to get her sister to the vet. We found out later that there was an emergency weekend. Vet too late to save one of our cats, but, we were able to get our other cat treated (enema) and hydrated along with a wellness check. We now are feeding her special diet for kidney support and hydrated for the rest of her life.

We did not know at first that Greenies was the cause of this sudden ordeal until a few days later after the Vet when we gave her sister the Greenies again and she started to vomit and fall down within 2 hours of eating them. Luckily she is a picky eater and only had one of the treats. We took her immediately to the Vet again and after rehydration and wellness check we were able to have her back home. However, she is not the same after the Greenies.

One of the reasons that I am also writing this is to speak about the cruel and representative that we spoke to when alerting her of the Greenies Company toxicity. Her lack of concern as well as Only invested in protecting the company was absolutely obscene. Her focus was try and find out what we did wrong to have our little furbaby die! She never asked for samples to be sent to the company, etc, only the barcode numbers (granted this is important and expected) but she tried to focus on the expiration date (Dec 2021) and any other feature that took the attention away from the Greenies as the cause concern.

In this format, I have not listed the totality of the symptoms of or ladies here as I did in the call. I had thought, naively so, that if I inform the company, there would be concern to save other Pet owners this kind of sadness and ordeal. I started the call with the fact that one of our cats have died and I am requesting that the company recall the treats.

This may have been a little assertive, but, a life was lost over the treats. I told her that this was my Only concern, that other pet cat owners not have to experience what we had with the loss of our beloved cat. Greenies has had recalls before for dogs, so, she her lack of real concern in this issue was alarming. This representative's focus on saving the Greenies company After Greenies has has had multiple recalls for dog food was telling. However, there has been None for cats. Even after multiple cat owners have contacted the company with similar symptoms and concerns.

Thus far, this is the only forum that even alerts cat owners that there is a toxic substance or processing in Greenies that is killing cats that are family for many of us. And, a review of this site will show that this has happened for Several Years now! This company should no longer be making any kind of pet food as it is evident that they do not know how to make it safe and after so many incidents with pet deaths and comprised heath.

On a positive note: There is a wonderful warning system for pet owners that alerts when there are recalls: Dave at Petful. He provides alerts but, as mentioned earlier none of these cat treats have been recalled by the Greenies company. And, if there is damage for your cat, there are products that can assist in strengthening the kidneys as well as pet rehydration products after a Vet visit. Thank you and Stay Safe and Blessed!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

My dog started having full body seizures out of nowhere. I was feeding her Greenies dental bones, for her teeth, for about 5-6 months total. She had no issues with them until about 2-3 months into me feeding them to her. But I had no idea that these were the cause. I took her to the vet numerous times trying to find out what was wrong with her. They never figured it out, they only gave me epilepsy medication that made her hungry all the time.

One day I was out and the box of greenies were on the counter, she got into the full box and had 12 seizures in one day. I couldn’t see her suffer anymore as I thought I had tried everything. So at 5 years old I had to put her down. It breaks my heart knowing if I had just stopped feeding my dog these, that she still might have been here. I don’t understand how this company has not gotten more publicity on this. It’s horrible to see all these reviews and still nothing has been done to stop them from marketing these awful treats. These are our children, and this company obviously does not care about what they’re putting in their food.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Our 6 lb pomchi and 11 lb are both sick after just 1 serving. Gave it to them yesterday noon and next day the Pomchi hasn’t eaten all day, you can hear her stomach is upset and she has been lethargic and sleeping whole time. The pomeranian ate today but has constant diarrhea and his stomach is churning. These dogs are both 3 yrs old and rarely have dietary issues. The Greenies are in the garbage where they belong.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

This happened a couple of years ago but at the time I didn't write a review: I purchased Greenies off of Amazon because I wanted to be a better dog mom and take care of my corgi/ dachshund mixes bad breath and dental care. I never paid attention to my dog's stools as we had a large forested yard and because he is a private sort of fellow. However...maybe 3 or 4 days in after starting giving him Greenies I came home from work and... my dog did not meet me at the door. Instead I called out to him and he slowly and shakily made his way from another room. I knew he was sick. I picked him up... he yelped. He whimpered. Completely lethargic.

I took him to the vet the next morning realizing that he was yelping in his sleep and that he was not getting better. The vet put him on fluids. And took x-rays saying there was an obstruction/ blockage. Though they wanted to operate we waited a day and x-rated again. The blockage had moved/ was smaller. The only thing that had changed was the Greenies in his diets. I looked up reviews and found this website.

They cleared him to come home. Vet bill over 1500 dollars and no surgery. I kid you not; I nursed my dog back to health for over a month before he was his old self again. He couldn't poop. He would try for 15 minutes at a time straining. He remained lethargic. He couldn't run. He could barely stand. He just shakily made his way everywhere.

I force-fed him pumpkin and coconut oil and yogurt to get him to poop. I forced him to drink water by taking him in the shower with me - it made him have to lick the droplets off of his face. My entire family was certain he was going to die... and then weeks later maybe even two months... he was recognizable as he had been. My best friend was so close to dying. Why is there not a class-action lawsuit against this company?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

The diarrhea began when I starting giving Greenies to my 10 pound, Chinese Crested. Greenies are the only thing that changed in her diet so I'm positive the Greenies caused her diarrhea. It took me over 2 weeks to finally get rid of her diarrhea and to finally get a solid stool. Once the diarrhea started, I immediately stop giving her Greenie. I started feeding her 93% lean turkey (cooked and then rinsed), frozen and thawed green peas, 1 tsp, 100% pure pumpkin (must be 100%, pure pumpkin) and 1/2 tsp slippery elm. I mixed all ingredients together and fed her this diet 2 x day for 2 - 3 weeks. Once she was on this special diet for 3 days, I began adding a very small amount of Purina Pro Plan For Sensitive Stomachs to her turkey, peas, pumpkin and slippery elm on the 4th day..

Finally after close to 3 weeks, I was no longer giving her the turkey and peas. I continued giving her slippery elm for about another week, gradually reducing the amount I was giving her every day. Once diarrhea is under control, stop giving slippery elm. I still give her pumpkin every day which is a good sources of nutrients and fiber. 100% pure pumpkin will forever be a part of her daily diet. Just a side note on what slippery is used to treat: In the gastrointestinal tract, slippery elm acts directly.

Think of it as a natural ** (** itself should be used with caution because it contains salicylate, a.k.a. ** and should be used only in moderation for a day or two). Slippery elm’s mucilage content coats, soothes, and lubricates the mucus membranes lining the digestive tract. It is high in fiber, and so helps normalize intestinal action; it can be used to relieve both diarrhea and constipation. The diarrhea has been a real pain and took a while to to finally get it under control. Patience is definitely required. Glad to say, my dog is now doing great, no more diarrhea and NO MORE GREENIES.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I have given my dog Greenies for years and really didn’t notice any adverse effects till a couple of months ago. The first sign of trouble was when he had diarrhea in the house, he never has done this before. This persisted for a few days so I took him to my veterinarian and he was placed on an antibiotic and I gave him boiled chicken and rice till his tummy settled, no treats. Fast forward one week I start to give him his regular food and a few treats...no greenies, all is well.

First day he gets a greenie and that night the diarrhea starts again, now with blood and mucous. Back to chicken rice and no treats. Good again till two weeks later gets his first greenie and it starts again. I thought maybe he had just developed an intolerance to them so knowing my brothers dog also liked greenies Gave them to him with the information about the trouble my dog had. First night his dog has diarrhea with mucous. I will never give my pets any greenie products again. I think there must be a quality control issue with the company, hope they get this resolved before something much worse happens to someone’s beloved pet.

Greenies author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

Greenies Company Information