1.54/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Greenies

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Greenies Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

After feeding our 4 year old lab a large breed dental chew shaped like a toothbrush she started vomiting within hours, 5 solid days of vomiting once a day and we were still seeing chunks of undigested orange pieces in her vomit. Why is this allowed on the market with so many reports of illness?

Original review: May 31, 2019

I bought the small Greenies for my Chihuahuas. One is 5.5 pounds and the other is 7 pounds, I gave them the Greenies that are meant for 5-15 pound dogs. While my dogs loved these treats, their bodies didn’t. After a few days of giving them Greenies, they both starting vomiting all over the house for two days straight, each throwing up about three times a day. My 7 pound chihuahua kept heaving and her eyes were tearing, and she was very shaky. I stopped giving them the treats after that and now they’re back to normal. I looked into the treats and I read that many dogs have died from eating these treats. If your dog doesn’t chew them, they can apparently expand in their stomachs and kill your dog. However, I’m not entirely sure this is true, but what I do know for a fact is that these made my dogs very sick. I would recommend just brushing your dog's teeth.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: April 30, 2019

As others noted on this site, Greenies dental seafood flavored treats made my cat very ill! The diarrhea was the worse! Other issues were throwing up and weeping eyes. I had extensive blood work & other test done which all came back normal. I then found posts here which described his issues exactly. I Removed the 6-8 treats he was given per day and all the issues stopped! Note my cat is 15 yrs old and has been raised strictly indoors. Never in contact with other animals (except his brother who died 2 yrs ago). He has had a strict diet of Hills M/D since 2011. Food is measured amount AM and PM. He's Never given any people food.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I wanted to find something to help keep my cat's teeth clean. I started giving these to her a couple months ago. At first my 1 1/2 year old indoor female cat loved these. I gave her only about 2 or three until a month later I read where you can give her up to 11 in a day so I thought why not? From the start she was almost displaying addictive behavior as she excitedly went to the fridge where I keep them, so I cut back because I did not want her to think she could replace her meals with these. For about a week now she has displayed a lack of appetite not feeling well and has thrown up a small amount of water/bile once. I have decided that there are ingredients in these that are disrupting her GI tract. I am giving the rest away to farm cats I know. They are a bit more resilient. I hate to waste the $. I won't but these anymore. I'll continue to brush her teeth with a baby toothbrush. She's fine with that.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My cats went CRAZY over these treats. They seem to have something in them that is extremely tasty... I suspected MSG but I’m really not sure... Whatever it is, it is addictive and they would climb me to get to the packet. I didn’t notice any vomiting but one cat became quite aggressive after eating them and another cat developed a weeping eye around the same time we started giving them these treats. She still has a weeping eye that comes and goes on a weekly basis. I suspect it’s viral and will get this confirmed by a vet.

I have read that these viruses flair when the immune system is down, and now I strongly suspect these Greenies have caused her to be run-down. Could just be from the gluten in them... Of course I don’t know but she’s 7 yrs old and never had a health issue until now, and Greenies are the only recent addition to her diet. The last packet I used was a week ago. I have now read these reviews and am quite shocked they are still on the market.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: April 5, 2019

My vet recommended Greenies for tartar buildup and bad breath. I only gave these a few times a week for about a month. Suddenly, very suddenly, one of my dogs exhibited signs of kidney disease and I immediately took him to the vet, and he is testing at the low end, but the Greenies are gone forever. In the track. I feel guilty about ever giving these to him.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have used these treats to try to help with dental problems but they are not a help at all. I have started to switch to raw bones and that seems much better for them. The teeth seem to get cleaned by the chewing and I don't see the brown build up on their teeth near the gum line. The vet said that the dry dog foods and treats like Greenies are not that great for your dog. I have started with the freeze dried treats and they like them and it really takes some time of chewing for them to eat them. Not like the Greenies that are gone in a minute.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Greenies is an adequate treat but like most pet products, overpriced. I don't think there is anything outstanding about the treats. My dog likes them, but he's a dog. He likes most things. The nutritional value is adequate.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Greenies made my dog violently sick within days of first giving it to him. Within 24 hours of giving him his first two treats, he had diarrhea. The next day, he threw up what seemed to be his entire stomach. On the third day, he couldn't control his bowels. For the first time since house training him, he proceeded have the most foul-smelling diarrhea all over the bed he was sleeping on as he couldn't make it to the door. Hours later, he pooped raspberry jam-looking blood and that's when I decided he has to go to the vet. After thorough questioning and examination, our vet told us that it could have been something in the Greenies that caused irritation in his stomach. She prescribed us a week's worth of antibiotics. He's had a rough week as the medication has made him more tired than usual but he's back to his own ways now.

After expressing my frustrations online, Greenies replied back to direct message them. I did so and they actually did not even open my message until 5 days later. Finally, a Greenies rep finally contacted me over the phone an entire week later. She asked about the symptoms and what our vet had told us. She also asked for the bag's item code, which I could not provide her as we had obviously thrown the bag out a week prior. The rep on the phone told me they cannot do a thorough investigation without that and all she could offer me was a coupon for alternative dental sticks.

My frustration is that Greenies will most likely never publicly addresses this issue. There are over 200 complaints on Consumer Affairs alone and the rep could not even comment about that. For anyone reading this because their pet is experiencing something similar, I urge you to hang on to the package and contact Greenies yourself. If I see someone at the store hanging onto a Greenies pack, I'm not going to hesitate to tell them what happened to my dog.

This isn't a matter of 'quality control' as the company proclaims they do extensive testing. It wasn't a 'bad batch' that my dog and 200 other people's pets consumed that led to very similar experiences. Complaints like mine go back to 2005. The company needs to hold thorough tests on the ingredients that are used in their products, and at the very least, address the issues that so many consumers have been having for years.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Got the pill pockets from my vet. Convenient and the dogs like them. Have been using them for a while. My Austrian Shepherd developed nagging diarrhea. Similar to Reviewer "Janet of Sun City West, AZ", I narrowed the problem to the Pill Pockets. "Janet of Sun City West, AZ - reviewed Oct 28, 2018" suggested to file a class action suit. I am totally for that idea. I wish she can get the owners of the poor dog victims together and go for that. Nothing for monies, but to warn dog owners to avoid the pain of those little souls. If "Janet of Sun City West, AZ" can provide a channel, I will join in. She does need to provide us with an email address.

Greenies Company Information