2.21/5

251 Greenies Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 9, 2019

My cats went CRAZY over these treats. They seem to have something in them that is extremely tasty... I suspected MSG but I’m really not sure... Whatever it is, it is addictive and they would climb me to get to the packet. I didn’t notice any vomiting but one cat became quite aggressive after eating them and another cat developed a weeping eye around the same time we started giving them these treats. She still has a weeping eye that comes and goes on a weekly basis. I suspect it’s viral and will get this confirmed by a vet.

I have read that these viruses flair when the immune system is down, and now I strongly suspect these Greenies have caused her to be run-down. Could just be from the gluten in them... Of course I don’t know but she’s 7 yrs old and never had a health issue until now, and Greenies are the only recent addition to her diet. The last packet I used was a week ago. I have now read these reviews and am quite shocked they are still on the market.

Original review: April 5, 2019

My vet recommended Greenies for tartar buildup and bad breath. I only gave these a few times a week for about a month. Suddenly, very suddenly, one of my dogs exhibited signs of kidney disease and I immediately took him to the vet, and he is testing at the low end, but the Greenies are gone forever. In the track. I feel guilty about ever giving these to him.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have used these treats to try to help with dental problems but they are not a help at all. I have started to switch to raw bones and that seems much better for them. The teeth seem to get cleaned by the chewing and I don't see the brown build up on their teeth near the gum line. The vet said that the dry dog foods and treats like Greenies are not that great for your dog. I have started with the freeze dried treats and they like them and it really takes some time of chewing for them to eat them. Not like the Greenies that are gone in a minute.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Greenies is an adequate treat but like most pet products, overpriced. I don't think there is anything outstanding about the treats. My dog likes them, but he's a dog. He likes most things. The nutritional value is adequate.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Greenies made my dog violently sick within days of first giving it to him. Within 24 hours of giving him his first two treats, he had diarrhea. The next day, he threw up what seemed to be his entire stomach. On the third day, he couldn't control his bowels. For the first time since house training him, he proceeded have the most foul-smelling diarrhea all over the bed he was sleeping on as he couldn't make it to the door. Hours later, he pooped raspberry jam-looking blood and that's when I decided he has to go to the vet. After thorough questioning and examination, our vet told us that it could have been something in the Greenies that caused irritation in his stomach. She prescribed us a week's worth of antibiotics. He's had a rough week as the medication has made him more tired than usual but he's back to his own ways now.

After expressing my frustrations online, Greenies replied back to direct message them. I did so and they actually did not even open my message until 5 days later. Finally, a Greenies rep finally contacted me over the phone an entire week later. She asked about the symptoms and what our vet had told us. She also asked for the bag's item code, which I could not provide her as we had obviously thrown the bag out a week prior. The rep on the phone told me they cannot do a thorough investigation without that and all she could offer me was a coupon for alternative dental sticks.

My frustration is that Greenies will most likely never publicly addresses this issue. There are over 200 complaints on Consumer Affairs alone and the rep could not even comment about that. For anyone reading this because their pet is experiencing something similar, I urge you to hang on to the package and contact Greenies yourself. If I see someone at the store hanging onto a Greenies pack, I'm not going to hesitate to tell them what happened to my dog.

This isn't a matter of 'quality control' as the company proclaims they do extensive testing. It wasn't a 'bad batch' that my dog and 200 other people's pets consumed that led to very similar experiences. Complaints like mine go back to 2005. The company needs to hold thorough tests on the ingredients that are used in their products, and at the very least, address the issues that so many consumers have been having for years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Got the pill pockets from my vet. Convenient and the dogs like them. Have been using them for a while. My Austrian Shepherd developed nagging diarrhea. Similar to Reviewer "Janet of Sun City West, AZ", I narrowed the problem to the Pill Pockets. "Janet of Sun City West, AZ - reviewed Oct 28, 2018" suggested to file a class action suit. I am totally for that idea. I wish she can get the owners of the poor dog victims together and go for that. Nothing for monies, but to warn dog owners to avoid the pain of those little souls. If "Janet of Sun City West, AZ" can provide a channel, I will join in. She does need to provide us with an email address.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

My cat suffers from constipation. As directed from my vet I can provide **. I usually soak with cat treats in water. Guess what? Feline Greenies would not dissolve in water. This lead me to believe the same reaction in his digestive system. It does not break down, and could create blockage and constipation. Will limit his treats. But still want to clean his teeth.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I adopted a Catahoula Mix puppy about two months ago and as a first time pup mom, I went above and beyond with bedding, food, clothes and even dental hygiene. A few days into the adoption, I notice she has diarrhea with blood and mucus. So I take her to the vet, they prescribe antibiotics and send us on our way. However, the diarrhea did not seem to fully go away so I try mixing white rice with her high quality dog food, I also take away all treats and even her toys. I then begin to think maybe she is still trying to adjust to her new home and her stomach needs more time.

After weeks of cooking white rice and mixing it with her high quality dog food, the diarrhea finally went away and her poop was normal again. Up until this morning when I hear her crying at 12 am in her crate to go outside. As soon as she steps outside, there was an explosion of diarrhea. So much so that she even began wiping her bottom on the grass. The only thing I've done differently since ridding her of diarrhea the first time was give her a Greenie treat yesterday. Never again will I put her through this. She had already gone outside three times this morning to poop diarrhea. Now I have to put her back on the white rice and Blue Buffalo diet until her symptoms improve.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Not sure why, but the tuna flavor made my cat violently ill. The treats made her vomit. She did so every 2 hours, eventually throwing up even water, bile and dry heaving. She also had diarrhea. She lost significant weight and needed to go on IV because of dehydration. Greenies' suggestion was that she doesn’t do well with tuna flavouring and to stop feeding them to her. Well already did that. If your pet gets sick, consider the treats. Your pet could be allergic to the ingredients, or something in the product may not agree with it. This almost cost me my cat, and did cost me hundreds of dollars.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have two Yorkshire Terriers, one male and the other is female. My girl didn’t like the taste of her vitamin and I thought I would try giving them to her in a Pill Pocket. Using a very small piece of the peanut butter flavored Pill Pocket each morning with her vitamin for eight days straight nearly KILLED my baby girl. Vomiting and diarrhea that was full of blood everywhere. Emergency Vet trip where she was placed on IVs, antibiotic injections, nausea medication, xrays of her abdomen along with blood work showing Pancreatitis. Prognosis was grim. All of this because of a Pill Pocket that’s supposed to aide in giving medication. After four weeks of antibiotics, Rx food and fluids she has slowly recovered and seems back to her usual loving, playful self. NEVER will I EVER give another Greenies product to my babies. And yes, they are loved and pampered as if they were my very own children. GREENIES - You should be OUT OF BUSINESS!

Greenies Company Information