1.06/5

352 Frontline Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I adopted a shelter cat and put Frontline plus on him. The cat was itching and scratching continually as if the Frontline wasn't working. 5 days later I see fleas hopping off of him. I have not had an animal in this house for almost 2 years and do not have any problems with fleas. In the past, I tried Frontline on my cats and it didn't work so I went to Advantage which always did the trick. Against my better judgement I decided to try Frontline again and it doesn't seem to be working. My poor cat has allergic dermatitis because of flea bites now and I have to wait 3 weeks to switch to Revolution. Spent 56 dollars for nothing and company warranty is BS. Why would I continue to use a product that doesn't work for 2 more months in order to get my money back? Disgusted with this company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

Fleas are terrible this year. I've lived in New Mexico for over 23 years and have never seen one flea on my dogs. This year we have gotten a lot of rain.... especially for a desert state. And I have seen fleas on my dogs! The scary thing is that fleas can carry the plague and at least 10 dogs and cats in our area have contracted plague this summer and a 52 year old woman contracted the plague last month... and died! I just spent $50.00 and applied Frontline on my 3 dogs last week and today I found more fleas on them!! Argghhh! Frontline is supposed to be guaranteed to repel and kill fleas for up to 3 months with just one application!! But that is false advertising and false guarantee! Frontline Plus is a total waste of money!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

Me and my husband bought Frontline Plus for my little dog and one cat. Well I gave my animals a bath. Dried them off completely and applied Frontline like instructed me to and I waited a day hoping I wouldn't see any fleas. I'm not satisfied with Frontline at all. They both still had bunches of fleas so I thought ok wait and reply next month. Did that and still they both had fleas all over and they itched so bad so I'm a little upset. I have a family and we can't afford to waste $80 on something that does nothing to prevent them or kill them, so basically I will never waste my money again on Frontline and if anyone ask my opinion it will be don't waste your money on Frontline. Very disappointed in the product.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

I bought Frontline as my vet had recommended it, and it worked for about a week. I did not find any Fleas except dead ones when I combed. BUT just recently I have noticed on the back of my American Staffy's neck, just above his shoulders a patch of missing hair and a sore about 15 cm x 6 cm where I had put the liquid. The sore looks very painful and is very itchy when touched. It is oozing and hair just falls out when touched! On top of that the fleas are BACK with a vengeance! I will not be using again!

Original review: July 31, 2015

I have put many treatments on my dog in the past and a few days ago I had put the new dose needed, and 2 days later my dog was covered in fleas and it was so hard to deal with! I talked to my vet and they said they are having many complaint about the product this year that it doesn't seem to be working anymore plus I have been told this by other pet owners! I know you have to give a star but I was I didn't because they should have 0 and 1 I am more than angry!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontline?

Original review: July 31, 2015

I don't usually write reviews but I really want people to know that Frontline Plus is extremely dangerous. I gave it to my German Shepherd, a 55-pound dog. In within two and a half hours, he died - went into convulsions, was drooling, couldn't stand up, throwing up. I couldn't even get him to a vet fast enough. Very bad product, please do not use it.

Original review: July 28, 2015

Won't get rid of the fleas like they said it would. Have used it in the past, but won't again. After a day fleas are still making themselves at home on my cats... Hope they go bankrupt. My cats are worth than they are...

Original review: July 28, 2015

Do you love your pet? Then don't use Frontline, Advantage, or Advantix! Topical flea, tick, and de-worming products such as Frontline and Advantix are toxic to animals and need to be taken off the market. They are dangerously harming people's pets at an alarming rate. My purpose is to file a complaint to stop the administration of these products to pets, and to get the word out about these flea, tick, and de-worming products to prevent others from making the same uninformed mistake I did and unknowingly harm your dog. Dogs can have mild to extremely adverse effects to these products, including Frontline, in particular. Many products have different active ingredients, but they all work in similar and harmful ways. They are toxic and stay away from them!

Unfortunately, we were one of the dangerous and life-threatening cases after applying this stuff. Our German Shepherd, Schatzi, had an adverse reaction FOUR times to different brands of what is basically the same thing. The first time Schatzi became so lethargic she didn't eat or drink much for a few months. She slept ALL the time and didn't even bark when the doorbell rang (she ALWAYS barks!). Took her to the vet 3 different times about this and said they couldn't find anything wrong other than dehydration. I asked about a correlation with this product and they said NO WAY! Applied the product a 2nd time 6 months later, and noticed the same odd behavior and unsteadiness. The vet again said it couldn't be the topical we gave her and thought she was depressed from being lonely.

Gave Schatzi the 3rd dose about 6 months later because she was scratching so much. I thought she had fleas and the vets insisted it was safe. Within three hours, Schatzi had no control over her hind legs and was panicking and shaking uncontrollably. I will never forget the fear in her eyes. Took her to the emergency room. By the time we arrived, Schatzi could walk but was not herself. The Vet did thorough blood work and found nothing. I showed him the box of Frontline I applied and said over and over again I thought it was the cause of these problems, but he insisted it wasn't possible. He said the side effects included on the box was preventative and it would take such an extremely high dose to have any kind of reaction; it wasn't really possible.

A month later, we found our dog on the floor convulsing, foaming at the mouth, and completely paralyzed. She couldn't breathe and we thought we were watching her die. It was horrifying to witness. We calmed down enough to stop the convulsing and took her to the emergency room again. They admitted her into Intensive Care for a week! Tested and x-rayed her for possible meningitis or spinal tumor, but still found nothing wrong. Took Schatzi to a new vet who also insisted it couldn't be the topical, but my gut still knew otherwise. She gave us a different brand to use because it had different active ingredients and insisted it would be fine. I never used it, though, for fear of another adverse reaction.

A year later, which is now, Schatzi had her fourth topical treatment for flea, tick, and heartworm. We found several ticks on Schatzi, worms in her stool, and she was scratching a lot. I got out the Advantage Multi our vet sold us and insisted was safe, even for our dog who had severe reactions with Frontline, and applied it. Six hours later, we found Schatzi on the carpet seizuring, unable to move, and had no control over her bowls. I knew it was the Advantage Multi I put on her. This could not be a coincidence FOUR times!

Called the Advantage Emergency Hotline and she said they'd never heard of a reaction before and she couldn't tell me how to get this stuff off or what to do. She was only interested in the lot number on the Advantage box! I told her she should Google what this product is doing to people's pets. There are thousands of pet owners online complaining of these same adverse effects of these flea and tick products. We got Schatzi in the tub right away and shampooed as much of this out as we could (I know now to use liquid dish soap instead of shampoo because it's a better de-greaser to get this waterproof product off. These products start absorbing into the skin immediately, so time is of the essence. Once the Advantage Multi was removed, our dog became noticeably better.

Time will only tell if Schatzi will have residual complications from this as she has in the past. No one should be applying these toxic flea, tick, and worm prevention products to their pets, as it is toxic, can cause neurological damage, renal failure, skin disease, and even death. They are pesticides that are not safe for animal or human contact and need to be investigated.

Original review: July 27, 2015

Got the Frontline for cats, put it on. 4 days later they still have fleas. Called the company, told them the cats still had fleas. After listing for 15 minutes I find out that the guarantee on the box is not right. They only cover if you use the product for 3 months, at 60$ (three doses) each month. That's a lot of money. If it didn't work the first (as it says on the box) why would anyone buy more? Frontline is a rip off. I'm going back to Advantage. I know it works (the first time).

Original review: July 26, 2015

I applied Frontline 3 weeks ago. Did not kill any fleas! I bought from my vet. Did everything exactly the way I was suppose to. Nothing happened. All my cats still have fleas. I bombed my house, washed beds, sprayed everything in my yard. So why do my cats still have fleas? I have been combing fleas off my cats everyday. No dead fleas on them. This stuff is worthless!! My cats do not even go outside. Will NEVER buy again. It is a waste of money!!

Original review: July 25, 2015

I used Frontline plus as a preventative for fleas before a litter of pups. Needless to say, somehow the pups had fleas at day 3. Because of the pups nursing I haven't been able to use another chemical brand, so all I've been able to do is try and control them through baths. At 4 weeks now my dog's hair starts falling off...even with baths every 3 days. Now I have to explain to people who are picking up pups why my dog looks mangy. Umm don't use Frontline is going to be my answer. I’m at a $110 loss on the stuff plus vet bills. I honestly don't see how they can keep selling it.

Original review: July 24, 2015

Never had a problem with Frontline Plus in past years for any of my dogs. Matter of fact, I preferred it over others BUT this year it's like putting water on a grease fire. My dog is infested. He scratches more than he ever did. I literally pick off more fleas by hand than this product kills. What happened? Someone has counterfeit Frontline or like every other product and food out there. Less is costing more and we all suffer twice.

Original review: July 23, 2015

I gave my 5 month old puppy a dose of Frontline, and now she's not eating/drinking, lethargic, tired... but won't sleep, in a daze/dizzy, weak. I never want her to endure this feeling again!! I only gave 1 star cause I had to put something... I will never use or recommend this product.

Original review: July 22, 2015

I bought it a few times. It didn't work. I have two dogs and they are still itching at £30 a time. I can't afford to waste money.

Original review: July 18, 2015

This product does not work. I have used it in the past and it worked fine. Sometimes only needed one dose the entire season. This year the product is completely useless. I have used it for 2 months on both of my dogs and the fleas are not fazed by it one bit. I have changed bedding, vacuum bags etc. Complete waste of money. Not sure what changed but whatever it is it was def. for the worse. I will never use it again especially after reading about the deaths and seizures which have occurred to others. Sorry for all who has lost one of their pets. How tragic.

Original review: July 17, 2015

I have one small dog and two elderly cats. Frontline has not worked for us. I have been diligent in flea combing and vacuuming. It seems like a lost cause. My dog had to be put on steroids because of extreme itching. I am very upset that I paid so much money for a product that didn't work at all. My vet gave me NexGard to try but I have to wait until the end of the month.

Original review: July 9, 2015

This product no longer works. We used this product as directed by the vet. Every three week making sure to part the fur. We have 1 dog and three cats. 10 days ago we put Frontline Plus on the animals. They are covered in fleas. We have vacuumed repeatedly. We purchased some sticky straps (they show the population) but a flea comb catches even more fleas. Yesterday I purchased a product that has one ingredient different from Frontline and I put it on the dog before we returned home today.

Original review: July 8, 2015

Frontline Plus for Cats - Bought a new box of this at PetCo for my 15 1/2 year old cat. Did not work AT ALL (and yes, I applied it correctly. I've used it in the past and had no problem). Had to resort to several rounds of Capstar (which was recommended by my vet) for weeks after, so Frontline obviously didn't kill eggs or larvae, either. The smell was so strongly toxic I actually watched my cat for any adverse effects. He seemed very out of it after application. Will be switching to Advantage as soon as I'm able.

Original review: July 8, 2015

While living in France my 3 dogs have got fleas. I went and paid 70 Euro for Frontline products. The fleas are still there. Frontline is just one big con, ripping off people and not caring for any animals.. DON'T BUY FRONTLINE PRODUCTS.

Original review: July 6, 2015

Have fleas on both dog and cat, had them taken care of at vet. House is all wood floors. Treated no fleas in house inside, pets only. Treating with Frontline for months now, still fleas product don't work.

Original review: July 6, 2015

We have 4 indoor cats. Circumstances required we needed flea tx. Used Frontline Plus, didn't work, called, told may take 4 mos. 5 mos. later, NOT better! A total waste of our $ & poor cats suffered! Had house tx. & using Program & Capstar, with total success! I gave the 4 baths, treated the house, vacuumed EVERY day, floors & furniture. Applied the Frontline Plus exactly as was directed. Did everything we were supposed to do. It just DOESN'T work! I will write a review on the product that DOES work, which is from petsneedmeds.com.

Original review: July 4, 2015

I have been using Frontline for many years now with no problem at all, but in recent years my pets flea problem has grown out of control. I have applied Frontline for the past 2 months with no results. In fact, our flea problem has gotten substantially worse. How is that if I'm putting a "working" product on my pets? Also, I've noticed something else. For the years, my dear Golden Retriever and my cat have been having dry skin issues, causing them to itch nonstop.

For a while I thought it was just because I wasn't getting all the shampoo off of their skin, but found it was because of this product. My Golden also has suffered from appetite loss after Frontline is applied. Again, not realizing that this product was cause this. I chalked it up to a common stomachache. But after much research, I found that it was caused by this product. I'm pissed off at this brand. I have used it for so long and was rather happy with it. So what went wrong?

Original review: June 28, 2015

I have two cats. I used frontline once last summer 2014 proactively after cat escaped and never saw a flea. This summer 2015 forgot to and came home from long vacation to find many fleas from the Norwegian Forest Cat being allowed outside a few times. I used up the package from last year in June. The cats scratched much less but a month later began scratching more and we saw a few fleas on the white short hair. We have prevented the cats from going outside.

Since I thought maybe the 2014 product was less effective due to its age, I bought a new 6 pack of Frontline Plus from Costco. It has been several days since application and both cats are scratching and I still see fleas on short hair cat. I intend to use it another month. Because so far no poor side effects and in 2000-2007 I used it often and it was magical. I suspect fleas have become immune to Frontline, but maybe it still varies in different regions. In 2000 a vet warned me that all flea medications have 15-20 years of effectiveness. If this is the case, then Frontline needs to stop selling it.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I put Frontline plus on all three of my fur babies. It did exactly nothing for their fleas. Why did I spend so much for a product that does not work. I feel like an idiot for buying it for them. We still have fleas. How can Frontline plus be sold at the vet if it isn't going to work? You may rest assured that I will never buy another Frontline product. Don't waste your money on it. It's just a rip off and they know it. Do not fall into their trap. Frontline plus is crap. Shame on them.

Original review: June 19, 2015

I used Frontline for over 12 months. Also fine-tooth combed him every other day. My cat seemed never free from fleas. After reading reviews for flea control I tried Advantage.The next day where my cat had been sleeping there was around 20 dead fleas. At last I feel I have found something that is working. Also I bought a can of Indorex household insecticide which prevents re-infestation for 12 months. My cat hardly scratches now so I felt I would like to share my experience.

Original review: June 19, 2015

I applied Frontline Plus on my 3 dachshunds and my miniature poodle 3 weeks ago. Every day since then, I have flea combed all 4 dogs and have removed at least 10 fleas from each dog. Frontline Plus does not work. It has worked in the past, but not anymore. I don't know what I'm going to try now but never again will I buy Frontline Plus.

Original review: June 18, 2015

I applied the top spot formula of Frontline to my medium sized, short-haired mostly indoor dog as I do every spring when the ticks start appearing. It spectacularly did not work! I am just waiting until 30 days are up so I can try something else without poisoning her.

Original review: June 17, 2015

I am diligent about flea medications and heartworm medications. I was using Advantage II with NO problems. My neighbor, who works in pest control was surprised because it is a bad year for fleas in my area. While using Advantage II she had NO FLEAS. He said not to stop what we were using. But, I switched to Frontline Plus two months ago because it allegedly repels ticks, too. She had a flea on her last month, so we bathed her and cleaned the carpets. The vet told us to try one more month and we are sorry that we did. We brushed and bathed her before she went to my family's house this past weekend. She did not have any on her and they don't have fleas in their house but she sure did come home with them from a hike and their backyard!! She can barely do anything because she is scratching so bad. I gave her a bath last night, and there were at least 40 fleas in the water.

I am so angry that I spent so much money on flea prevention and she has them anyway! But that doesn't even compare to how angry I am that my poor dog is suffering. I am calling the vet today to see if I can apply the Advantage II early. There is no reason that my dog should have to suffer when we are so careful about her healthcare and took appropriate steps to make sure she wouldn't get them. I will never use this product ever again and I will find other ways to repel or prevent ticks.

Original review: June 16, 2015

On May 7, 2015 one of my three cats had a severe allergic reaction to Frontline Plus for Cats. He was a healthy, nine-month old domestic tabby named Rascal. Within 10 minutes of the application, I found in the litter box, unable to move. His pupils were contracted, he had lost control of his hind legs, and seemed to be in shock. I removed him from the box, and set him on the floor. He was unable to stand. I immediately began washing his body, called my son and we had him at the vet within half an hour. After the initial examination, we were told that he had a very low temperature, and alarmingly low blood pressure, as well as severe neurological damage. They called Poison Control and were told that his symptoms were like those when a cat is given Frontline Plus for Dogs. He was given the appropriate product for his size and age, in the appropriate amount.

The emergency vet wanted to keep him overnight, however, the cost would have been between $1400 and $3500, so we elected to bring him home and monitor him. We were given some antibiotics, and hoped he would come around. However, within a few hours we noticed blood in his stool, and he was having seizures. We rushed him back to the vet, however, he passed away while we were en route. Our beloved little Rascal died within six hours of this first treatment with Frontline Plus for Cats.

I have never witnessed anything as horrible, and feel very angry that he was not treated appropriately. He obviously had an allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock), and I am very, very concerned that this product is on the market. There are no warnings on the packaging related to allergic reactions. We miss Rascal very much, and I am posting this review to warn others. I am especially concerned for people who also have small children, who might pet a cat after an application and become exposed. I have reported this incident to Merial, have joined a class action suit against them, and am reporting this to the EPA. We had a necropsy done, and clearly, our beloved cat died from this first application of Frontline Plus for Cats.

Original review: June 6, 2015

This product had no effect on my dog's fleas. We tried it twice but she remained infested. We consider it a total waste of money. We gave her NexGard and it worked like a charm!

Frontline Company Information