Get Pricing

2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.8/5 (179 ratings)

About Figo Pet Insurance

Figo offers customizable coverage built for millennial pet parents. The company offers three comprehensive plans, and you can add optional coverage like Wellness, Veterinary Exam Fee or the Extra Care Pack. Figo offers up to 100% reimbursement, which is extremely rare for a pet insurance company and helps ensure you can keep costs down on large vet bills.

Pros

• Flexible plan options
  • No upper age limit
  • Claim filing via app
  • 24/7 live vet chat

Cons

• Wellness plans not included in base coverage
  • Standard plan doesn't pay exam fees

Bottom Line

Figo Pet Insurance offers three customizable plans covering accidents and illnesses for dogs and cats at least 8 weeks old. Plans with 100% reimbursement or unlimited annual benefits are available.

Top Figo Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

If you have carefully reviewed your contract of coverage, you should be very happy with Figo. They process claims quickly ... Most important to me as a former insurance adjuster i...

Verified

Puppy has Figo since 10 weeks old. We chose unlimited coverage with $200 deductible. Phone App allows filing claims in vet’s office with photos of vet statements. Paid usually wit...

How does Figo Pet Insurance work?

Figo Pet Insurance reimburses you for vet costs for your dogs or cats when they have unexpected injuries or illness, according to the terms of your plan. You pay a monthly fee for coverage; you can visit any licensed vet in the world, then file a claim for reimbursement.

The company recommends using the Figo Pet Cloud app to file a claim; however, you can also complete the claims process online, by phone, by fax or by email — you just need a copy of your paid invoice and your pet’s medical records. Figo has takes an average of three days to close a claim (two days if the company has medical records). You can be reimbursed via direct deposit or mailed check. Depending on your plan, you may have an unlimited annual benefit or a reimbursement level of up to 100%.

Figo offers a diminishing deductible, and the copy and deductible are waived for emergency life-saving treatment in the case of an accident (does not apply to illnesses). Holistic care is also included in the base policy.

What does Figo Pet Insurance cover?

When your dog or cat has a new injury, accident or illness, Figo covers costs for the following:

• Emergency and hospitalization
  • Food and Drug Administration-approved prescriptions

Figo does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
  • Experimental or cosmetic procedures
  • Care related to breeding and birth
  • Most parasites

Figo offers three add-on coverage options:

• Veterinary Exam Fees: This add-on helps cover exam or consultation fees associated with an eligible illness or accident. It does not cover exam fees related to routine, wellness or preventative visits.
  • Extra Care Pack: The Extra care pack helps cover costs for cremation and burial (up to $250), lost pet advertising and award, vacation cancellation caused by a pet emergency, board fees, pet theft or loss caused by straying (up to $150) and third-party property damage liability (up to $10,000 per policy period and subject to a separate deductible).
  • Wellness: You can add routine care coverage to any plan to help pay for the cost of vaccinations, spaying or neutering, heartworm prevention, dental care and more. The company offers a Basic and Plus wellness add-on — the Plus add-on has higher annual maximums.

How much does Figo Pet Insurance cost?

Figo offers three plans: Essential, Preferred and Ultimate. All plans cover the same items but have different annual benefit amounts.

You can get a free monthly premium quote online. To give you an idea of what you can expect to pay, we got quotes for two different dogs in Tulsa, Oklahoma: a 3-year-old male golden retriever and a 12-year-old female Maltese.

For both quotes, we went with the company’s preselected options for annual deductible and reimbursement percentages.

For the golden retriever, the company suggested an 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible.

Annual benefitMonthly cost
Essential$5,000$27.16
Preferred$10,000$31.69
UltimateUnlimited$35.97

The Veterinary Exam Fees would cost an addtional $6.46 a month, and the Extra Care Pack costs an additional $6.62 a month. The Wellness Basic option would cost an additional $9.50 a month, while the Wellness Plus option is an additional $16.50 each month.

For the Maltese, the company preselected a 70% reimbursement rate and $750 deductible.

Annual benefitMonthly cost
Essential$5,000$35.53
Preferred$10,000$41.44
UltimateUnlimited$47.06

Adding the Veterinary Exam Fees option would cost another $8.46 a month, and the Extra Care Pack would cost an extra $6.62 a month. The Wellness add-on would cost $9.50 a month, and Wellness Plus would cost $16.50 a month.

Your monthly cost increases or decreases based on the reimbursement percentage and deductible you select. To lower your monthly premium, choose a lower reimbursement level or a higher annual deductible.

Figo Pet Insurance FAQ

Can I visit any veterinarian?
Yes, you can visit any licensed veterinarian in the world.
Does Figo Pet Insurance cover preexisting conditions?
No, Figo doesn’t cover preexisting conditions. It may cover conditions that are considered “curable.” The company recommends contacting its customer service for more information.
What is Figo Pet Cloud?
Figo Pet Cloud is Figo’s app. The app sends you vet visit reminders, helps connect you to a licensed vet 24/7, organizes your pet’s records and shows you where to find pet parks and day care. You can also use Figo Pet Cloud to socialize with other pet owners.
What is Figo Pet Insurance’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel your Figo insurance policy at any time by emailing or calling Figo. If you cancel within the first 30 days and haven’t made a claim, you get a full refund. Otherwise, refund policies vary by state.
Does Figo have a money-back guarantee?
Yes, Figo offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you cancel within 30 days and haven’t made a claim, you will receive a full refund.

Is Figo Pet Insurance good?

Figo Pet Insurance is a good choice for dogs and cats. The company gives you options for the annual benefit, reimbursement percentage and annual deductible, including plans with an unlimited benefit or 100% reimbursement. You can visit any licensed vet and have multiple ways to file a claim. If you’re searching for coverage for your dog or cat that’s at least 8 weeks old, get a quote from Figo — it takes less than a minute.

Figo Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Figo Pet Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

When I was looking for pet insurance for my rescue dog, I did a massive amount of research. I compared premiums, deductibles, coverage, and age limitations. I read many *many* reviews, and changed my mind multiple times. In the end, I landed on Figo and I'm extremely glad I did. Figo's premium rates are quite reasonable, and their deductible structure is highly customizable and generous. My dog's current plan covers *90%* of non-wellness expenses after a $500 deductible. I did not find any other pet insurance plan that offered anything close. They have even covered behavioral expenses, including visits to a certified behaviorist and medication.

In addition to all this, I love the fact that Figo allows me to submit and resolve claims entirely without paper. They process all my claims through their web platform and smart phone app and they process them FAST. When I am due to be reimbursed for an expense, the money is direct deposited into my bank account, usually within fewer than 24 hours. It's hard to beat that kind of turnaround time. My calls to customer service have been efficient and friendly, and I haven't had to fight Figo on a single claim. Because of all this, I am thrilled with my own choice, and am constantly referring other pet parents to check out Figo for their pet's insurance needs.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

My dog is around 13 years old and I rescued her over 8 years ago. I hadn't really considered insurance until she started getting older and was worried that the time would come when she would have an issue and knew I would do whatever it took to take care of her. I took out pet insurance over a year ago before she had any issues. The first year I put through a couple visits and had no issue with reimbursement. Just this past month she had to have emergency surgery and between the vet visit and the subsequent emergency room visit, it was over $8,000.

While I had no issues with previous submissions, I was concerned that because of the high cost of surgery the insurance company might not want to reimburse me. It took longer than the other submissions but the other ones were reimbursed within a couple days. Figo had to wait for some notes from my vet and emergency room. They closed the case before they received those notes but opened it right away after I called and got my vet to send the notes. Once that happened, I received reimbursement of about $6,50, after deductible with my 90% plan. The only thing not reimbursed was tax. All in all, even with those issues and the high cost, it took them about 8-10 days to approve the claim and to deposit it in my account.

My premiums went up after the first year but the reality is with her age and the submissions, it was to be expected. I'm not looking forward to what the premiums will be next year but there's not much I wouldn't do for my girl. I'd definitely recommend them as I've not had any problems with coverage and it saved me so much.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Reviewing all of the plans in 2016 when I got my new dog, there were about 8 different pet insurance companies that were pretty legit, I came upon one of the very newest ones, Figo... and they blew me away! What I liked about them is that I could tell they REALLY did their homework — I could tell they studied all of the other companies out there, kept all the good stuff these companies offered and left all the bad stuff behind. The premium price was great. The coverage was great. I spoke to them on the phone and got a taste of their customer service. Well, they sold me!

1. Coverage: they cover everything I need — and I have always been reimbursed for everything as I've expected, even physical therapy. My dog unfortunately had to have four surgeries this year, two major, two minor, and everything was covered. Also, they are one of the few companies (maybe now the only one?) that covers 100% of the bill, if you choose that option (there are also several lower coverage options for lower premiums). Most other companies don't offer more than 90% and some even less than that. They also cover all exam fees as an optional add-on — many companies don't offer that option at all.

2. Claims Process: yes, at one time they did have a problem there. But they have since corrected that and I usually get most reimbursements approved within a day or two and then it just takes another day or two for them to direct deposit into my account.

3. Customer Service: excellent! I actually have one customer service rep who helps me regularly and she is terrific. But a lot can be done on their app — they were the first pet insurance company to come out with an app and they have the best one in the business. Very, very easy to submit a claim — and you can look at all the documents 24/7.

4. Premium Coverage: It was great first two years. Then they changed carriers and it went up exponentially. I was none too pleased. They finally changed their carrier earlier this year and it went DOWN exponentially yet my coverage remained the same (except they no longer cover dental for reasons of illness, only accidents). So, they listened to their customers and I couldn't be happier.

I couldn't be more pleased how things are going with Figo. As long as my annual rate increase is incremental and not exponential, I anticipate my happiness will not diminish. One thing to do in your search for pet insurance: compare at least three different companies, or even a half-dozen, if you have the time and patience. This shouldn't be something you go into without some deep research. Once you go with a company and you submit a claim, that condition you submitted for will become "pre-existing" if you change insurance companies and they won't cover it. Even Figo may not be perfect for your needs, so compare. Also, do what is called a Medical Records Review for at least two, if not three, of your final choices. When you do that the companies will tell you what they will and won't cover, so there will be no surprises. Good luck!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Figo was affordable the first year, but be ready for the price gauge for any subsequent years that you re-enroll your pet. For example, the first year it was $350, the second year was $575, and the third year they were wanting $750!! Mind you, my pet has no significant medical issues and didn’t even meet his deductible the second year. I absolutely refused the $750 price and they were magically able to find a different underwriter and provide me with a more reasonable premium, still expensive, but more reasonable. Pay attention to what you are buying. If you want more holistic services, but you only get a $600 worth of those treatments.

With all this said, I am utterly impressed with the customer service at Figo. I worked with a very effective and professional agent during the process of finding that new magical underwriter. She was patient, kind, and addressed my concerns as best she could during the whole process. Filing claims is crazy easy through the app and claims are usually closed very quickly with the reimbursement appearing in your account within a matter of days of the initial claim. Anytime I have had questions about reimbursements or services, Figo staff have been quick to respond and knowledgeable. I do feel that Figo staff really care about their customers/pets.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

We switched to Figo from Allstate in 2019, two months after our 3 year old Bernese Mountain Dog got diagnosed with lymphoma. Not only did Figo make a huge difference financially and allowed us to make choices for our girl based on what we felt was best, and not what we could financially afford, but when we made the heartbreaking decision to let our girl go, Figo reimbursed us a prorated premium amount because we only had our coverage for 2 months before she passed. I could have cried, we were so broken in spirit and financially that I couldn't believe they reimbursed us after we had already used our coverage!

I now have it for our one year old bernese/pyrenees mix and am so happy. I've recommended Figo to all of my friends with pets. I also love that you can modify coverage for what fits best for you. If I were to change anything about Figo it would be the app. Its usability is a little off, and while it's cute to have a pet social media factor, this is a pet insurance company first and should present as such in the app, but instead first presents as a pet social media. Other than that they're great, and the Evie claim submission chat is excellent usability.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I’ve been so pleased with Figo! They have covered so much of my pet’s care after an orthopedic concern. Every time I call or chat with someone from Figo they are helpful and kind. Also, I really appreciate how clear their explanation of benefits is.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Our dog Penny has been insured by FIGO since we rescued her 4 years ago. I couldn't be happier with the way FIGO has treated us. We've ended up with a lot of claims including TPLO surgery. They have been very fair with what they covered and very fast! I've sent many friends to them.

Original review: July 20, 2021

We have had FIGO since our dog Chuck was 3 months old. He is now 4 and the light of our lives!!! Loving, affectionate and well behaved. Unfortunately he has also had an ACL procedure, tumor removed and now Lymphoma. We have incurred thousands and thousands of dollars in chemotherapy treatments and related procedures. I really don't know if we would have been able to do this without FIGO. Whenever I call or email they are responsive, accommodating and kind. It means a lot. Thank you.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Overall the experience has been pleasant and we've been happy with the results however when we initially signed up we felt the company was quick to determine a "pre-existing" condition. Otherwise the process has been relatively painless and has helped on an emergency situation in which it would have been a significant impact.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Sadly I have to cancel bonny insurance with Figo. So sorry that I had to do for hardship. The Figo team was always there for us, never hours of delays that I had experience with the other one I have for my older pet. They were always either calling me or emailing me. Love the tag and the little bowl for water. Many many stars *********** for Figo. I wish they consider placing specialist consultations under general cover. My email is **.

Figo Pet Insurance Company Information