3.7/5 (144 ratings)

About Embrace Pet Insurance

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

Pros

• Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage

Cons

• Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Bottom Line

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

Top Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My dog had surgery last month. The procedure was covered and Embrace was super easy to work with and efficient. My reimbursement was in my account just weeks after the surgery. Th...

Verified

When your otherwise healthy 13-year old pup has a small lump, you need to know, what is it, has it spread, and what can we treat it? I was so happy I’d made the decision to have B...

How does Embrace Pet Insurance work?

When you sign your pet up with Embrace, you can take them to any vet for the services they need. You are not required to use a vet within a specific network. Once your pet has been treated, you complete the claim form, submit it and are reimbursed for services and treatment covered under your plan.

There are different coverage levels to choose from, and you can downgrade or upgrade your policy at any time. When you insure your pet with Embrace, they are covered for life. Your coverage never drops based on your pet's age or health.

Cancer treatment, behavioral therapy and breed-specific conditions are covered, and the company reimburses you for vet exam fees. Dogs and cats under the age of 14 are eligible for full coverage, and pets older than this are eligible for accident-only coverage.

Embrace has a unique online resource that lists the most popular dog breeds and their most common breed-specific medical conditions. This can help pet owners choose the right coverage for their pets.

Embrace Wellness Rewards program

Embrace’s Wellness Rewards program, which can be added to your policy, reimburses you for preventative care. This includes wellness exams, microchipping, spaying/neutering, vaccinations and flea medication.

There are three annual allowance options for Wellness Rewards reimbursement:

• $250 allowance per policy year
  • $450 allowance per policy year
  • $650 allowance per policy year

Embrace Pet Insurance coverage

Embrace is transparent about what policies do and do not cover. The company’s website lists the different coverage options and defines eligibility requirements and guidelines for preexisting conditions.

Accidents
Older pets can benefit from Embrace’s accident-only coverage plan. This plan covers your pet if it ingests a foreign object, is cut or is hit by a car. This plan reimburses you up to $5,000 each year. You’ll pay a $100 deductible once a year, and then you're reimbursed 90% of your veterinary bills when your pet experiences an accident.
Illnesses
Embrace covers every illness from nose to tail with no precondition limitations. This means if your pet is prone to breed-specific illnesses, medical treatment is covered under your plan.
Dental issues
Dental pain can be very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous for pets. Dental work on animals can also be very expensive. Embrace covers dental treatment for periodontal disease, gingivitis, root canals, crowns, oral masses and extractions. Up to $1,000 in dental work is covered per year.
Cancer and chronic conditions
Cancer coverage is included in all plans and includes everything from the consultation testing and radiation to chemotherapy, surgery, hospitalization and rehabilitation. Cancer treatments are one of the most expensive medical treatments for pet owners, and chemotherapy can run $150 to $600 a dose. Cancer coverage means you can give your pet a fighting chance without worrying about how you’re going to afford it.

Embrace Pet Insurance also covers a wide range of treatments including:

• Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
  • Hospitalization and surgery
  • Prescription drug coverage
  • Prosthetics and mobility devices

Conditions not covered

The list of what Embrace does not cover is shorter than the list of what it does cover. Basically, Embrace covers treatment and services that are crucial to the health and well-being of your pet, but not cosmetic services, breeding, whelping or preexisting conditions.

How much does Embrace Pet Insurance cost?

Dog insurance costs average around $30 to $40 per month, and cat insurance averages around $15 to $20 per month. Embrace has a one-time enrollment fee of $25 and a $1 monthly processing fee for those who pay monthly.

Embrace lets you customize your plan, so you can choose the deductible, the reimbursement percentage, any riders or optional coverage add-ons and annual maximums. You know your pet and your budget, and Embrace has coverage options to fit them both.

Embrace Pet Insurance FAQ

Is Embrace Pet Insurance good?
Yes. Pet lovers all over the country trust Embrace to help them cover unexpected medical bills for their pets. Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association.
Does Embrace Pet Insurance cover vaccines?
Vaccines are covered by Embrace's Wellness Rewards program because receiving them is considered preventive or routine care, but routine care is not covered by the insurance policy itself.
Can I use Embrace Pet Insurance at every vet’s office?
Yes. Embrace does not use a network for vets. You can take your pet to any veterinarian, specialist or emergency hospital you like.
What’s not covered by Embrace Pet Insurance?
Embrace Pet Insurance does not cover cosmetic services, breeding, DNA testing or preexisting conditions.

Is Embrace Pet Insurance worth it?

Pet insurance is a service you hope you never have to use but are thankful to have it when you need it. Embrace Pet Insurance is a reputable company that makes pet ownership more affordable. Having insurance means you never have to deny your pet medical attention because of your finances.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: March 16, 2022

I research and compared every pet insurance company there is and finally decided on Embrace because it seemed the most trustworthy and inclusive. I didn't expect to need it but after my cat of 15 years suffered horribly and died from cancer I promised myself I would get insurance for any pet going forward. Well, Embrace has been a lifesaver with my kitty who ended up having a rare bone disease in a location that causes tremendous complications. We're still working through it but if it weren't for Embrace, I'd be in major debt, probably divorced and would have likely lost everything including my little love, who is full of life, despite his condition.

Embrace makes it easy to submit claims and I would recommend to anyone with a pet. You may think your pet is healthy but one day they may need care and it's worth every penny for peace of mind. You never have to question or worry taking your pet to the vet with insurance. I'm grateful every day for making the decision to get insurance.

Hello Alexa,

We're glad to hear the policy has been there to help during your time of need and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave that feedback. Sending well wishes to you and your cat during this difficult time!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I applied to pet insurance in 09/2021 after I had a pet who got seriously ill and passed away after 6 days in the hospital, and we had to come to come out of pocket for it. I never wanted to put my family in that position again, so when I received an email about Embrace through USAA, I didn’t hesitate to sign up my current pets. It gave me peace of mind that if something like this were to ever happen again, that we could financially support it with the help of Embrace.

Well, unbeknownst to me, we would end up having another emergency situation 5 months later when our current dog got sick out of nowhere. He had just had a biannual check up a month or two before and everything was great, so it was quite a shock we were going through this again and so soon. I was terrified of losing another dog as I’m still grieving the first loss, but I knew I could give this dog a fighting chance and not worry about the cost as much as we were with the first. Luckily, after only a day and a half in the emergency room, my current pet turned a corner and so he was sent home with lots of meds and an order to get a check up by our current vet in the following days. He is now back to normal, and for that we are grateful.

When it came time to submit everything to Embrace, the upload process was extremely easy. The process claim was relatively fast, and they stayed in communication with me about how to speed up the process. Everyone I talked to on the phone was extremely nice, and even listened to me when I cried talking about my former pet. Even though we had some issues with the first reimbursement and our vet had to write an appeal, everything was eventually resolved and I could not be happier! Thanks Embrace!

Hello April,

I am so very sorry for your loss. Our goal is always to reimburse claims as quickly as possible and for the claims submission process to be user-friendly, as we know how stressful it can be when one of our fur babies are sick or hurt. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience and the issues were resolved. We're also happy to hear that your dog is back to normal and feeling better! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide that feedback.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Everything about my experience with Embrace has been topnotch! From my initial conversation with customer service to see if it was a good fit through the entire claim process. The staff is very friendly, highly knowledgeable and knew their products and services very well. The claim process is extremely easy and fast. I have had to submit multiple claims and am beyond grateful that Embrace has my back. It has given me a sigh of relief and a sense of security knowing that my dog is covered. I also really love the option of the preventative coverage. Having a puppy initial vet visits, immunizations, spay/neutering are all covered. As well as, emergency, dental, prescriptions and things like acupuncture. I never thought I would want or need pet insurance but now I’m so glad I have it and I could not have picked a better company to go with then Embrace.

Hello Kristen,

We don't like that anyone would have to use their pet insurance, but I'm happy to hear the policy has been easy to use and helped to alleviate some of the financial stress! Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to leave that feedback!

Brittany

Customer Care Embracer

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I have had Embrace pet insurance for a pet in the past and now my corgi. I previously had another pet insurance with a past pet that did not cover as much and was about the same price. Embrace pet insurance has always been amazing to me and my animals, from customer support all the way through coverage. One large incident I'd like to bring up is that my corgi puppy recently had an accident and NEEDED orthopedic surgery on her metatarsal and tarsal where they'd put a plate in and fuse bones. The accident happened on a Thursday night, Embrace gave us pre approval for a $5.5k surgery by Tuesday the next week and she had surgery the next day.

I called many times with questions and every service representative was absolutely amazing (Ash & xena are the names I can think of right now). They answered my questions and ensured I had knowledge of everything I needed. I ALWAYS recommend this pet insurance to others, especially USAA members since there's a discount and expedited time on our claims. I will never not have pet insurance with embrace, it is worth every penny, and it's not that expensive to begin with.

Hello Ashlyn,

Thank you for taking the time to leave those kind words! Our goal is always to make the claims process as simple and smooth as possible and we truly pride ourselves on our customer service, so I'm happy to hear you've had such a positive experience! We appreciate your recommendation!

Brittany

Customer Care Embracer

Original review: July 29, 2021

Our dog required emergency GDV surgery that involved two different emergency facilities and an extra night stay in the hospital to recover. I submitted the claims within days, and the claims were processed impressively fast. We received a check for payment within two weeks of the surgery date and have been very pleased with how easy and quick the process was. Only one item was not covered as it was considered "preventive" - which seemed odd given this was an emergent situation, but the cost of the item was low enough that it wasn't worth worrying about. Overall truly impressed and happy. So glad we have this insurance for our dog.

Hi Diana,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We hope that Bernie is doing much better for you! I took a look at your claim just to confirm the item that was considered preventative, and it looks like it was a supplement that was given to your pet. Supplements are not eligible for coverage under the insurance policy, but are eligible under the optional add-on wellness plan. I am happy that you are happy otherwise! We truly appreciate your honest review.

Mariah

Senior Customer Care Embracer

Original review: May 7, 2022

I purchased a policy in 6/21 for my 7.5 yr German Shepherd at $79.79 a month, 20,000 annual, 500 deductible, 90% reimbursement. Just received my new policy $119 + change.. a unacceptable 48% increase!!!

Hello Natalie,

We understand it can be frustrating to see your premium has increased! Premiums do increase over time as a cost of business with all pet insurance companies and they are based on factors such as age, pet tenure, pet type/breed, location, vet costs, etc. We do not currently base premiums off of the number of claims you've submitted or the health status of your pet. We do however have our $50 Healthy Pet Deductible Credit that is applied for every year you go without reimbursement for claims.

You do always have the option to adjust your coverage in other ways though to bring your premium price down. For example, increasing your deductible, decreasing your reimbursement percentage, or decreasing your annual maximum. If you are interested in exploring these options, you can look at different coverage options through your MyEmbrace portal under "Change Coverage," or you may call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 and a representative will be happy to go over it with you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 6, 2022

I've had Embrace for my dog for 7 years now, ever since she was a pup. They were pretty good, and paid most claims with little complaint or delay. Starting in 2022, they've become an absolute nightmare to deal with: they nitpick every claim to death, delay payments, and it's nearly impossible to get ahold of a live person there.

Example of the shady games Embrace plays with policyholders and their pets: To dodge payment for removal of growth on my pup's PAW, Embrace said it wasn't covered, as she had a wart in her MOUTH long ago. Embrace "Chief Underwriter" Jenna ** acknowledged that "an approximately 5 mm raised sebaceous-like dermal mass on the 5th digit of the left hind paw was removed." ** then went into contortions to describe why Embrace wouldn't pay for that:

"On 2/19/2015, Ava was diagnosed with oral papillomas... Since it cannot definitively be determined what type of mass was removed, I cannot provide coverage for this claim. Under the Terms and Conditions of Ava's policy, Ava's papillomas are pre-existing because the diagnosis of the condition occurred prior to the policy's effective date. As such, your policy does not cover the claim you submitted." In other words, they're not covering a removal of a paw growth (sebaceous) because 7 years ago she had a wart on her tongue (papilloma).

Another example this year: To dodge payment for a knee procedure, they said that a tiny portion of the procedure, which was offered for FREE by the vet, wasn't covered and therefore, they wouldn't cover ANY of the $2000 procedure. They completely ignored a follow-up letter from my vet. I'm still waiting for a response from them on that, while in the meantime, I'm on the hook for $2000. For your sanity, not to mention the health and safety of your pup, do NOT use Embrace! I'm now having to take up the cases with the California Dep't of Insurance and consider legal action, not ways I enjoy spending my spare time.

Hello Erik,

I apologize for any disappointment you’ve experienced with your policy! I was not able to view your account to see the specific details, but any time you feel there was an incorrect assessment, you do have the option to appeal. If you have any questions regarding the results of your claim or the appeal process, please call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 or send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I worked with Darcy in Embrace Pet Insurance Customer Service and she was incredibly helpful and kind. I appreciated her thoroughness in explaining all aspects of my policy and ensuring that I had the most appropriate plan for my furry family members. She went above and beyond in making me feel comfortable in the sign up process. She was very relatable and friendly! I feel at ease knowing I have a cost effective plan and support available if any questions arise in the future.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I love how they help you with everything. Have been very good to us. Submitting claims are so easy and they will assist if there are issues, so glad I made the choice to purchase insurance for our two French Bulldogs.

Hello Molly,

We're glad to hear you've had a positive experience with your claims! Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: May 1, 2022

When contacting Embrace customer service, your representatives have always been super helpful and kind. Customer service seems to be rare these days, but, not at Embrace. Thank you for your hard work and all that you do.

Sandy W. a/k/a Evie and Buddy's Mom

Hello Sandra,

We're happy to hear our Customer Care team has been able to provide a positive experience for you! We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information