2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.11/5

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

BOTTOM LINE

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

PROS
  • Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage
CONS
  • Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Top Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

My dog had surgery last month. The procedure was covered and Embrace was super easy to work with and efficient. My reimbursement was in my account just weeks after the surgery. They answered their phone, I wasn’t on hold and they were able to answer all my questions…

When your otherwise healthy 13-year old pup has a small lump, you need to know, what is it, has it spread, and what can we treat it? I was so happy I’d made the decision to have Brownie insured, because I was able to get all the answers and treatment without worrying about cost…

Embrace Pet Insurance Get Pricing

How does Embrace Pet Insurance work?

When you sign your pet up with Embrace, you can take them to any vet for the services they need. You are not required to use a vet within a specific network. Once your pet has been treated, you complete the claim form, submit it and are reimbursed for services and treatment covered under your plan.

There are different coverage levels to choose from, and you can downgrade or upgrade your policy at any time. When you insure your pet with Embrace, they are covered for life. Your coverage never drops based on your pet's age or health.

Cancer treatment, behavioral therapy and breed-specific conditions are covered, and the company reimburses you for vet exam fees. Dogs and cats under the age of 14 are eligible for full coverage, and pets older than this are eligible for accident-only coverage.

Embrace has a unique online resource that lists the most popular dog breeds and their most common breed-specific medical conditions. This can help pet owners choose the right coverage for their pets.

Embrace Wellness Rewards program

Embrace’s Wellness Rewards program, which can be added to your policy, reimburses you for preventative care. This includes wellness exams, microchipping, spaying/neutering, vaccinations and flea medication.

There are three annual allowance options for Wellness Rewards reimbursement:

• $250 allowance per policy year
  • $450 allowance per policy year
  • $650 allowance per policy year

Embrace Pet Insurance coverage

Embrace is transparent about what policies do and do not cover. The company’s website lists the different coverage options and defines eligibility requirements and guidelines for preexisting conditions.

Accidents
Older pets can benefit from Embrace’s accident-only coverage plan. This plan covers your pet if it ingests a foreign object, is cut or is hit by a car. This plan reimburses you up to $5,000 each year. You’ll pay a $100 deductible once a year, and then you're reimbursed 90% of your veterinary bills when your pet experiences an accident.
Illnesses
Embrace covers every illness from nose to tail with no precondition limitations. This means if your pet is prone to breed-specific illnesses, medical treatment is covered under your plan.
Dental issues
Dental pain can be very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous for pets. Dental work on animals can also be very expensive. Embrace covers dental treatment for periodontal disease, gingivitis, root canals, crowns, oral masses and extractions. Up to $1,000 in dental work is covered per year.
Cancer and chronic conditions
Cancer coverage is included in all plans and includes everything from the consultation testing and radiation to chemotherapy, surgery, hospitalization and rehabilitation. Cancer treatments are one of the most expensive medical treatments for pet owners, and chemotherapy can run $150 to $600 a dose. Cancer coverage means you can give your pet a fighting chance without worrying about how you’re going to afford it.

Embrace Pet Insurance also covers a wide range of treatments including:

• Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
  • Hospitalization and surgery
  • Prescription drug coverage
  • Prosthetics and mobility devices

Conditions not covered

The list of what Embrace does not cover is shorter than the list of what it does cover. Basically, Embrace covers treatment and services that are crucial to the health and well-being of your pet, but not cosmetic services, breeding, whelping or preexisting conditions.

How much does Embrace Pet Insurance cost?

Dog insurance costs average around $30 to $40 per month, and cat insurance averages around $15 to $20 per month. Embrace has a one-time enrollment fee of $25 and a $1 monthly processing fee for those who pay monthly.

Embrace lets you customize your plan, so you can choose the deductible, the reimbursement percentage, any riders or optional coverage add-ons and annual maximums. You know your pet and your budget, and Embrace has coverage options to fit them both.

Embrace Pet Insurance FAQ

Is Embrace Pet Insurance good?
Yes. Pet lovers all over the country trust Embrace to help them cover unexpected medical bills for their pets. Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association.
Does Embrace Pet Insurance cover vaccines?
Vaccines are covered by Embrace's Wellness Rewards program because receiving them is considered preventive or routine care, but routine care is not covered by the insurance policy itself.
Can I use Embrace Pet Insurance at every vet’s office?
Yes. Embrace does not use a network for vets. You can take your pet to any veterinarian, specialist or emergency hospital you like.
What’s not covered by Embrace Pet Insurance?
Embrace Pet Insurance does not cover cosmetic services, breeding, DNA testing or preexisting conditions.

Is Embrace Pet Insurance worth it?

Pet insurance is a service you hope you never have to use but are thankful to have it when you need it. Embrace Pet Insurance is a reputable company that makes pet ownership more affordable. Having insurance means you never have to deny your pet medical attention because of your finances.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: April 17, 2021

When my pet got attacked by a wolf and had to stay overnight at the pet emergency room I knew I was in good hands with Embrace Pet Insurance. They took good care of me and our refund was truly blessing. Embrace ensures you're getting the best coverage with their rates and plans to ensure your family pet is taken care of. I'm truly glad I have Embrace pet insurance because just like kids our pets are part of our family and they need care as well besides shots and haircuts so if you or any friends need a reliable, trustworthy, affordable pet insurance Embrace is the place to go to and you will be relieved once you speak to them.

Hello Brannon,

I'm so sorry to hear about the scary situation Smoki found himself in recently. As a fellow Yorkie owner, I know they can get themselves in some sticky spots! Above all though, I'm so glad to hear Smoki is on the mend. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about Embrace, it means the world to us to know we've made our pet parents happy. If there is ever anything you need, do not hesitate to contact us at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I was always so weary about pet insurance but with my past experiences in the cost of vet bills I decided to give it a go. I learned about Embrace through USAA for my pet. I also opted for the most coverage and most rewards points. The claims process was extremely easy especially over the app, and the personnel over the phone are extremely helpful and kind. Unfortunately about a month ago my baby got very sick and was in and out of the ICU, last week I had to make that difficult decision that no one wants to make, he had advanced lymphoma and there was really nothing we could do. Embrace was by my side! If it wasn’t for having them as insurance I would have not been able to provide the best care for my pupper during his last days. If you have a pet and are looking for a phenomenal insurance who truly cares about animals, Embrace is definitely the way to go!!

Hello Ada,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Canelo, my thoughts are with you during this very difficult time. Although what you went through with Canelo is every pet parent's worst nightmare, I'm glad the financial aspect was taken out of your decisions. I appreciate you taking the time to do your homework on pet insurance and deciding to go with USAA/Embrace. Our pet parent's satisfaction is our number one concern.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 5, 2021

I have two cats, one I adopted in 2017, and the other around Christmas of 2020. When I adopted my Tuxedo, I got her insurance with Healthy Paws, so that's who I had been with ever since. When it came time to adding the second cat to her account, things got complicated. Unfortunately, Leo came home and got ill about two weeks following. What was initially thought to be linked to gastroenterology issues wound up to be upper respiratory and he ended up having to be seen several times within a two month period. Needless to say, Healthy Paws denied his claims for pre-existing conditions.

I filed an appeal, but after it dragging out over a month and them then requiring additional documentation from his veterinarian interpreting his medical records, I had had enough at that point. I didn't even care about the thousand dollars in claims at that point, they had made my life ridiculously and unnecessarily stressful and I put an end to it. I walked away and canceled his policy with Healthy Paws and came over to Embrace.

I had been looking into Embrace and a few other companies a few weeks prior just so I was prepared if that time came. Ultimately I chose Embrace because of the consistency of their reviews (because I don't expect any company to be perfect), the quantity of their exceptional reviews, but mostly my own personal customer service experience. I spent at least an hour over two or three phone calls with customer service getting information and eventually setting up a policy. Not once did I have any reason to question why I wouldn't want to trust them to insure the well-being of my pets.

I actually was excited I had found them - it made the Healthy Paws experience a whole lot less bitter. I was met with kindness, compassion, friendliness, and consideration. Customer service was prompt and patient and never left any of my many questions unanswered. They also spent a great deal of time helping me to find the most appropriate policy for my needs and budget and offered considerable discounts. I only wish it were convenient for me to bring my other cat over right now, unfortunately because of her health issues at the moment, it'll have to wait a bit. Looking forward to a new beginning with Embrace!

Hello Cristine,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. It means the world to us to hear that you had a great experience with our Pet Insurance Advisor team. If there is anything you need going forward, just let us know!

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I like how easy it is for submit a claim. I dislike that almost every time I submit a claim I get a message in my portal saying they don't have enough info to process my claim and that Embrace requested additional info from my vet. I usually wait a couple days to see if the docs arrived before I email Embrace to ask what docs they need so I can request them myself and get a speedier resolution of my claim. I have NEVER received a message back from Embrace about what extra docs they need from the vet. I ALWAYS end up calling Embrace and speaking with a rep who suddenly doesn't need additional docs and processes my claim immediately. Always feels like Embrace is delaying processing and hopes I'll just forget. I appreciate the reps on the phone for immediately resolving my claims since the online department apparently never can without a phone call from me.

Hello Brazil,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear your claims process has not been as positive as we intend. Some of the hold up on your claims was due to the fact it was the first illness claim on the policy. In order to process the first illness claim, we must collect and review medical records for 12-months prior to the start of the policy. This process takes quite a bit of time, so first claims often take significantly longer than subsequent claims. If you would like to speed up the first claim process, you can request a medical history review for Guinness. You can email us at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com if this is something you are interested in.

Additionally, to ensure that a claim is processed as quickly as possible it must contain a detailed invoice (including all pages and the total) in addition to a claim form with specific details regarding the claim. The diagnosis (what is provided on the claim form) tells us how to process a claim and if it is eligible for coverage, so we need as much detail as possible in this area. If a diagnosis is very brief (i.e. "medication" or "dental") we need to get additional information in order to process the claim, which can delay processing time.

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience with our Customer Service team, I hope your future claims experience is better.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Embrace Pet Insurance has far outshone any pet insurance product I’ve ever had. They insured my cat who, ultimately & sadly, had two different forms of cancer over the course of three years. Embrace paid every single claim for his NYC pricey treatment from biopsies to surgeries to specialty medications. I repeat; they never challenged one claim.

Equally important, Embrace does not pay based upon national norms; they understand that different areas in the US are more or less expensive than others and reimburse based upon the billed amount. I’ve had policies with other companies and that has never been my experience. With them, I would receive a fraction of the cost of the service; with Embrace, I received back 80% of the actual charge. I had direct deposit; I would submit the claim or it would be submitted by the veterinarian and approximately two weeks later the money would reliably appear in my bank account.

They did not fail to renew my policy because he was ill or aged; he renewed until he passed at age 14. Further, they have a service where you can consult a vet online with any questions which was valuable to me and is extremely valuable during this Pandemic. Equally important, these people truly care about animals and about customer service. Since my cat was such a high consumer of health care, I would often call to get a benefit determination for some new service and they were always patient, thorough and knowledgeable. After a short while, they knew exactly who I was and would ask how he was doing every contact. When they learned he had passed, I received a Sympathy Card which included a link to an Online Memorial for him. I can’t say enough good things about Embrace. I will never insure any of my pets with any other pet insurer again.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Not only has my policy paid for itself, I have received above average customer service every time that I have called. Employees are knowledgeable, helpful, and patient. I have highly recommended this company to all of my pet parent friends.

Hello Jillian,

We appreciate you taking the time to let people know about your Embrace experience. I'll pass your kind words on to our Customer Service team, they really are the Embrace all-stars!

Original review: May 7, 2021

We absolutely love Embrace Pet Insurance!!! They are always friendly, very competent, and so helpful!! We have had 3 dogs enrolled with Embrace. I always tell people to check out Embrace - it’s a great service and your pets deserve the best!

Hello Sue,

I'm so glad to hear you are happy with Embrace, we value our pet parent's satisfaction above all else. Give those sweet Newfies some love from me.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: May 5, 2021

USAA offered your product to us, members. I had been fetching pet insurance but all quotes seemed pretty pricy until I came across Embrace. Great coverage for my money. Comfortable payments that fit my tight budget. I called for the first time today and got world-class customer service!

Hello Cynthia,

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on Embrace. We're so happy to have you as part of the family. Give Chely some pets from me!

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: May 4, 2021

Would you be surprised if you broke left arm and your medical insurance didn't cover it because you'd previously broken your right arm? Unrelated, right? That's exactly what Embrace did for orthopedic coverage for our dog. A previously repaired *injury* disqualifies our dog for coverage for the same or similar injuries in the other legs, despite a clean orthopedic exam by our veterinarian. Just another brazen attempt to collect premiums without ever having to pay out claims. Shameful.

Hello David,

I'm sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with your Embrace policy. All pet insurance companies exclude pre-existing conditions; this is how pet insurance premiums stay around $50 a month rather than what premiums cost in human health insurance (around $500 a month). Cruciate ligament tears, as Allie had, are one of the most common orthopedic conditions in dogs. More than 50% of dogs that tear one cruciate ligament will tear the other one within 12 months. Unfortunately, this means insurance companies must exclude coverage for both knees if a pet was noted to have a tear prior to the start of the policy.

It is understandable that this is frustrating news; however, pet insurance companies must exclude pre-existing conditions in order to retain low monthly premiums for their pet parents.

I see that you already canceled your policy, if you would like any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact Embrace at 800-511-9172.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 30, 2021

I was concerned because my bill had almost doubled since I first started, so I called to find out why since I hadn’t ever had a claim. I am on a fixed income and several other things have increased also making it impossible to live almost. Kelsey at Embrace Pet insurance offered me options so that I could keep it but lower the monthly payment that I could live with. They were very personal and accommodating. And I would recommend them to another pet parent.

Hello Nancy,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We try really hard to keep premium increases to the smallest possible amount. I'm glad you were able to find a solution that fit your budget.

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information