Get Pricing

2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

4.2/5 (141 ratings)

About Embrace Pet Insurance

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

Pros

• Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage

Cons

• Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Bottom Line

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

Top Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My dog had surgery last month. The procedure was covered and Embrace was super easy to work with and efficient. My reimbursement was in my account just weeks after the surgery. Th...

Verified

When your otherwise healthy 13-year old pup has a small lump, you need to know, what is it, has it spread, and what can we treat it? I was so happy I’d made the decision to have B...

How does Embrace Pet Insurance work?

When you sign your pet up with Embrace, you can take them to any vet for the services they need. You are not required to use a vet within a specific network. Once your pet has been treated, you complete the claim form, submit it and are reimbursed for services and treatment covered under your plan.

There are different coverage levels to choose from, and you can downgrade or upgrade your policy at any time. When you insure your pet with Embrace, they are covered for life. Your coverage never drops based on your pet's age or health.

Cancer treatment, behavioral therapy and breed-specific conditions are covered, and the company reimburses you for vet exam fees. Dogs and cats under the age of 14 are eligible for full coverage, and pets older than this are eligible for accident-only coverage.

Embrace has a unique online resource that lists the most popular dog breeds and their most common breed-specific medical conditions. This can help pet owners choose the right coverage for their pets.

Embrace Wellness Rewards program

Embrace’s Wellness Rewards program, which can be added to your policy, reimburses you for preventative care. This includes wellness exams, microchipping, spaying/neutering, vaccinations and flea medication.

There are three annual allowance options for Wellness Rewards reimbursement:

• $250 allowance per policy year
  • $450 allowance per policy year
  • $650 allowance per policy year

Embrace Pet Insurance coverage

Embrace is transparent about what policies do and do not cover. The company’s website lists the different coverage options and defines eligibility requirements and guidelines for preexisting conditions.

Accidents
Older pets can benefit from Embrace’s accident-only coverage plan. This plan covers your pet if it ingests a foreign object, is cut or is hit by a car. This plan reimburses you up to $5,000 each year. You’ll pay a $100 deductible once a year, and then you're reimbursed 90% of your veterinary bills when your pet experiences an accident.
Illnesses
Embrace covers every illness from nose to tail with no precondition limitations. This means if your pet is prone to breed-specific illnesses, medical treatment is covered under your plan.
Dental issues
Dental pain can be very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous for pets. Dental work on animals can also be very expensive. Embrace covers dental treatment for periodontal disease, gingivitis, root canals, crowns, oral masses and extractions. Up to $1,000 in dental work is covered per year.
Cancer and chronic conditions
Cancer coverage is included in all plans and includes everything from the consultation testing and radiation to chemotherapy, surgery, hospitalization and rehabilitation. Cancer treatments are one of the most expensive medical treatments for pet owners, and chemotherapy can run $150 to $600 a dose. Cancer coverage means you can give your pet a fighting chance without worrying about how you’re going to afford it.

Embrace Pet Insurance also covers a wide range of treatments including:

• Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
  • Hospitalization and surgery
  • Prescription drug coverage
  • Prosthetics and mobility devices

Conditions not covered

The list of what Embrace does not cover is shorter than the list of what it does cover. Basically, Embrace covers treatment and services that are crucial to the health and well-being of your pet, but not cosmetic services, breeding, whelping or preexisting conditions.

How much does Embrace Pet Insurance cost?

Dog insurance costs average around $30 to $40 per month, and cat insurance averages around $15 to $20 per month. Embrace has a one-time enrollment fee of $25 and a $1 monthly processing fee for those who pay monthly.

Embrace lets you customize your plan, so you can choose the deductible, the reimbursement percentage, any riders or optional coverage add-ons and annual maximums. You know your pet and your budget, and Embrace has coverage options to fit them both.

Embrace Pet Insurance FAQ

Is Embrace Pet Insurance good?
Yes. Pet lovers all over the country trust Embrace to help them cover unexpected medical bills for their pets. Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association.
Does Embrace Pet Insurance cover vaccines?
Vaccines are covered by Embrace's Wellness Rewards program because receiving them is considered preventive or routine care, but routine care is not covered by the insurance policy itself.
Can I use Embrace Pet Insurance at every vet’s office?
Yes. Embrace does not use a network for vets. You can take your pet to any veterinarian, specialist or emergency hospital you like.
What’s not covered by Embrace Pet Insurance?
Embrace Pet Insurance does not cover cosmetic services, breeding, DNA testing or preexisting conditions.

Is Embrace Pet Insurance worth it?

Pet insurance is a service you hope you never have to use but are thankful to have it when you need it. Embrace Pet Insurance is a reputable company that makes pet ownership more affordable. Having insurance means you never have to deny your pet medical attention because of your finances.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: July 29, 2021

Our dog required emergency GDV surgery that involved two different emergency facilities and an extra night stay in the hospital to recover. I submitted the claims within days, and the claims were processed impressively fast. We received a check for payment within two weeks of the surgery date and have been very pleased with how easy and quick the process was. Only one item was not covered as it was considered "preventive" - which seemed odd given this was an emergent situation, but the cost of the item was low enough that it wasn't worth worrying about. Overall truly impressed and happy. So glad we have this insurance for our dog.

Hi Diana,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We hope that Bernie is doing much better for you! I took a look at your claim just to confirm the item that was considered preventative, and it looks like it was a supplement that was given to your pet. Supplements are not eligible for coverage under the insurance policy, but are eligible under the optional add-on wellness plan. I am happy that you are happy otherwise! We truly appreciate your honest review.

Mariah

Senior Customer Care Embracer

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I didn't even know you could buy pet insurance until I was sitting in a pet emergency department with my beloved German shepherd as we tried to save him. 3 hours later he passed and we had a $2,500 bill. I found a pamphlet in the emergency department about how affordable pet insurance was. We had spend hundreds of dollars/month on our pet for expensive treatments. If we had only known.

Soooo, when we rescued two beautiful Russian Blue kitties two years later, we began looking for pet insurance. We discovered Pet Embrace. We trusted them because USAA partnered with them. They have a great wellness program, which enabled us to budget out all the wellness care our kitties needed immediately; however, they ALSO have an outstanding affordable MEDICAL policy that covers illness and accidents. That really gave us peace of mind. Filing claims is so easy and streamlined through their online portal. Every time I have reached out to ask a question or file a claim I have spoke with a real, kind, human being with no language barriers and without ever being placed on hold and no phone trees. Their customer service is STELLAR. I wish I could give them 10 stars.

Embrace Pet Insurance response

Wow, Nina, thank you for such a wonderful review! Meeting and exceeding our pet parent's expectations is our number one goal and it means the world to us to hear when we've accomplished this task. I hope your kitties stay as healthy as possible, but if you ever need us, we're here for you.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 5, 2021

I have two cats, one I adopted in 2017, and the other around Christmas of 2020. When I adopted my Tuxedo, I got her insurance with Healthy Paws, so that's who I had been with ever since. When it came time to adding the second cat to her account, things got complicated. Unfortunately, Leo came home and got ill about two weeks following. What was initially thought to be linked to gastroenterology issues wound up to be upper respiratory and he ended up having to be seen several times within a two month period. Needless to say, Healthy Paws denied his claims for pre-existing conditions.

I filed an appeal, but after it dragging out over a month and them then requiring additional documentation from his veterinarian interpreting his medical records, I had had enough at that point. I didn't even care about the thousand dollars in claims at that point, they had made my life ridiculously and unnecessarily stressful and I put an end to it. I walked away and canceled his policy with Healthy Paws and came over to Embrace.

I had been looking into Embrace and a few other companies a few weeks prior just so I was prepared if that time came. Ultimately I chose Embrace because of the consistency of their reviews (because I don't expect any company to be perfect), the quantity of their exceptional reviews, but mostly my own personal customer service experience. I spent at least an hour over two or three phone calls with customer service getting information and eventually setting up a policy. Not once did I have any reason to question why I wouldn't want to trust them to insure the well-being of my pets.

I actually was excited I had found them - it made the Healthy Paws experience a whole lot less bitter. I was met with kindness, compassion, friendliness, and consideration. Customer service was prompt and patient and never left any of my many questions unanswered. They also spent a great deal of time helping me to find the most appropriate policy for my needs and budget and offered considerable discounts. I only wish it were convenient for me to bring my other cat over right now, unfortunately because of her health issues at the moment, it'll have to wait a bit. Looking forward to a new beginning with Embrace!

Hello Cristine,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. It means the world to us to hear that you had a great experience with our Pet Insurance Advisor team. If there is anything you need going forward, just let us know!

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I like how easy it is for submit a claim. I dislike that almost every time I submit a claim I get a message in my portal saying they don't have enough info to process my claim and that Embrace requested additional info from my vet. I usually wait a couple days to see if the docs arrived before I email Embrace to ask what docs they need so I can request them myself and get a speedier resolution of my claim. I have NEVER received a message back from Embrace about what extra docs they need from the vet. I ALWAYS end up calling Embrace and speaking with a rep who suddenly doesn't need additional docs and processes my claim immediately. Always feels like Embrace is delaying processing and hopes I'll just forget. I appreciate the reps on the phone for immediately resolving my claims since the online department apparently never can without a phone call from me.

Hello Brazil,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear your claims process has not been as positive as we intend. Some of the hold up on your claims was due to the fact it was the first illness claim on the policy. In order to process the first illness claim, we must collect and review medical records for 12-months prior to the start of the policy. This process takes quite a bit of time, so first claims often take significantly longer than subsequent claims. If you would like to speed up the first claim process, you can request a medical history review for Guinness. You can email us at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com if this is something you are interested in.

Additionally, to ensure that a claim is processed as quickly as possible it must contain a detailed invoice (including all pages and the total) in addition to a claim form with specific details regarding the claim. The diagnosis (what is provided on the claim form) tells us how to process a claim and if it is eligible for coverage, so we need as much detail as possible in this area. If a diagnosis is very brief (i.e. "medication" or "dental") we need to get additional information in order to process the claim, which can delay processing time.

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience with our Customer Service team, I hope your future claims experience is better.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Embrace Pet Insurance has far outshone any pet insurance product I’ve ever had. They insured my cat who, ultimately & sadly, had two different forms of cancer over the course of three years. Embrace paid every single claim for his NYC pricey treatment from biopsies to surgeries to specialty medications. I repeat; they never challenged one claim.

Equally important, Embrace does not pay based upon national norms; they understand that different areas in the US are more or less expensive than others and reimburse based upon the billed amount. I’ve had policies with other companies and that has never been my experience. With them, I would receive a fraction of the cost of the service; with Embrace, I received back 80% of the actual charge. I had direct deposit; I would submit the claim or it would be submitted by the veterinarian and approximately two weeks later the money would reliably appear in my bank account.

They did not fail to renew my policy because he was ill or aged; he renewed until he passed at age 14. Further, they have a service where you can consult a vet online with any questions which was valuable to me and is extremely valuable during this Pandemic. Equally important, these people truly care about animals and about customer service. Since my cat was such a high consumer of health care, I would often call to get a benefit determination for some new service and they were always patient, thorough and knowledgeable. After a short while, they knew exactly who I was and would ask how he was doing every contact. When they learned he had passed, I received a Sympathy Card which included a link to an Online Memorial for him. I can’t say enough good things about Embrace. I will never insure any of my pets with any other pet insurer again.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

This company is wonderful!! First time having pet insurance, they make it so simple and easy to understand and file a claim. We were also impressed with how fast they settle ea. Claim. Highly recommend 100% if you are looking to insure your furry friends!!

Hello Tony,

Thank you for taking the time to leave that feedback! I'm happy to hear you've had a positive experience with the claims process. We're glad to have you as part of the Embrace family!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I am very disappointed in this company. They have failed to unlawfully cover a surgery, so I will be cancelling my membership at the end of the term, pursuing contract review and assistance with my team, and I hope that if you're considering them for long-term, emergent coverage, you reconsider. While they are willing to cover small costs, large costs are definitely in question. I also can't believe my husband's USAA account refers to this company.

My dog has had ongoing discharge and blood from her vulva since May 2021 (our policy started in November 2020). I took her in for testing and diagnostics for this discharge, and we were referred to a surgeon for a SUSPECTED ovarian remnant after antibiotics were ineffective, and she came back with a positive hormone test. Normally, discharge isn't a big deal, but it was causing an infection through her body. They denied my claim for surgery saying an ovarian remnant is a complication of a spay surgery. Which even if it was, she was spayed 11 years ago, so that's kind of ridiculous it would be a "complication".

I appealed this decision because I felt they were misinformed on what we were actually dealing with. A normal ovarian remnant is when ovarian tissue is left or not completely removed during the surgery...or maybe it was dropped (very rare). The exploratory performed by the surgeon concluded there was no ovarian tissue left or dropped. He even receded the pedicles from where the ovaries attach.... and took a biopsy to test for ovarian tissue, and they came back negative, clearly determining the spay was performed adequately.

The surgeon, who performed Bella's exploratory, wrote a letter for appeal, completely detailing how this circumstance isn't a spay complication. I was referred for a suspected ovarian remnant, but after he did the exploratory and took off part of her pedicles to biopsy and test for remnants...which came back negative, it was clear that's not what we were dealing with. He explained that he believes she has potential ectopic ovarian tissue and even stated it was congenital (a birth defect). He made it clear it would not be part of a routine spay surgery. So it's classified as a birth abnormality, not a spay complication.

They still are failing to acknowledge the difference and educate on the circumstance at hand. We are dealing with such a rare abnormality and a dog we can't find a cure on, and I was so happy to know I had pet insurance for this moment, and now I'm seriously disappointed in even trusting them when they have clear evidence in front of them, but they're still unlawfully denying the claim.

Hello Valerie,

I am sorry to hear you had a negative experience with your claims for Bella! Per the terms and conditions of the policy, we are unable to cover pre-existing conditions, which is anything that was symptomatic or diagnosed prior to starting the policy or through the initial waiting periods. The appeal was unable to be overturned because the underlying cause of the vaginal discharge has not yet been determined. However, I do see it was explained to you that in the future, if the underlying cause is definitively diagnosed and the cause is something other than a spay complication, we will be able to re-evaluate the decision and the claims. I understand this is disappointing, but we are required to abide by the terms and conditions of the policy.

If you have any further questions or concerns in regard to your claims or the appeal, please call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 and our claims team will be happy to go over them with you.

Customer Care Embracer

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Our puppy Boston was bitten and or stung by something in our backyard and had a severe allergic reaction resulting in swelling of face/body and difficulty breathing. He was rushed to ER and subsequently taken care. While we were thankful Boston was ok, it was also very comforting and reassuring to know that his hospital visit bill would be covered by our Embrace Pet Insurance policy. We were able to file for reimbursement online, hassle free, and reimbursement was directly deposited in my bank account in days. Thanks Embrace!! Come here.

Hello Nady,

I'm so glad to hear Boston is doing better! We know how stressful it can be when one of our fur babies is sick or hurt, and we're happy that the policy was there to help alleviate some of the financial stress. Thank you for taking the time to leave that positive feedback!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

When I got my pet insurance through this program, I was informed that his skin allergies would not be covered, as they were pre-existing (as I knew they would not be covered). However, one year after being covered, he simply got an ear infection, and they denied coverage, as they said it was allergy related. All of my former pets got ear infections about once a year, and none of them had allergies. They automatically assigned his ear infection an “allergy related ear infection” (even though the vet did not say this was allergy related at all). Therefore they did not pay. I’m very nervous moving forward with them, that they not pay for anything with this dog, as they will link anything to “allergy related”! :(

Hello Karen,

We do strive to be as transparent as possible about any pre-existing conditions that may affect coverage. We know no one likes surprises and I apologize for any frustration you've experienced with your claims! I took a look at your account and I do see the adjuster reviewed the policy terms and conditions with you and the option to submit an appeal if you feel it was an incorrect assessment. If you have any further questions or concerns, please give us a call at 800-511-9172 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you!

Customer Care Embracer

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Embrace has been a wonderful company to deal with. The representatives who answer the phone are always extremely pleasurable to speak with and always helpful and friendly. I volunteer for SAVEALAB rescue and when I do the phone interviews I always tell them about Embrace.

Hello Cathy,

I'm happy to hear you've had a positive experience with Embrace! We do pride ourselves on our customer service, and I will pass that feedback along to our representatives. We appreciate your recommendation and are happy to have you as part of the Embrace family!

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information