2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.68/5

Diamond dog food specializes in nutrient-rich formulas that contain healthy levels of protein, fiber, fat and probiotics to support pet growth, energy and digestive health. Diamond dog food is formulated with ingredients such as beef, pork, chicken and salmon that contain high levels of protein, and the company provides specific recipes for all sizes of dogs and each stage of a pet’s life.

Diamond Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Diamond Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

We stopped feeding Diamond Pet Foods because between myself and my sister who is also a French bulldog breeder, we had two very sick dogs and the only change was the food. The vet said, the issue that they had that was that it acted like pancreatitis. I’ve raised dogs for 23 years and my sister for 30 years. For the first time ever, we had two litters of puppies that a few of the puppies’ ears didn’t stand. So, there was not enough calcium in it. The adults that got so sick weren’t even kenneled in the same building or the same state as one was in Oklahoma and one was in Maryland. We used it in the adults for about four months. My sister used it a little longer because she recommended it to me. We were feeding Royal Canin and we love it, but every time we turn around, the price went up. We were struggling to afford to feed so many dogs on that. It’s a shame because Diamond Pet Foods' price was very good. I thought the quality was good too.

We have 1 to 2 litters per month. Right now, we won’t have any for a couple of months and we’ll hope to have three in a month and a half from now to two and a half months. So, it varies. I know that Frenchies can be a little quirky. They can have food allergies which they didn’t have any allergic reactions, and they can have a little more fussy stomach. But as of now, I would not recommend Diamond Pet Foods at all to a French bulldog breeder.

Diamond Pet Foods response

Other than dogs being genetically predisposed to pancreatitis or eating a high fat meal, such as getting in the garbage and ingesting ham fat, the cause is unknown. Whether ears stand or not is based on genetics, since that determines the shape and carriage of the ears. All of our foods our 100% complete and balanced

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I used to run a very popular labrador kennel, and I've been using Diamond for the better part of 15 years. My line of labrador retrievers is clean all the way to England and we had one of the purest choco lines in the country. Using Diamond always produces the healthiest puppies and their puppy formula also gave my dogs the energy to run the trials and keep up on their hips and elbows. I was feeding primarily Puppy, and then I also did Hi-Energy. I send the Diamond samples with the puppies home as well and I recommend that they stayed on it. Diamond has been the best most affordable choice for my dogs that worked really well. There was about a year and a half time period that Loyall tried to sponsor me, but I broke that contract and went back to them.

Right now, I have not littered in 2 years because of my divorce. My ex-wife gave away with my breeding bitches during the divorce. So, I have one little girl left that's 18 months now, and maybe I'll breed her next year. I have never had health issues feeding Diamond ever, even when they were in a period, the year when I backed them down to Premium Adult to be when they're not working, just to back it down a little bit. They have really good performance on it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I'm a breeder and Diamond Pet Foods gives out a pretty decent pet packet, which was the main reason I use them. It's also convenient to get. We send puppies home with the puppy kit they give us. I tell people that I recommend it and to keep the puppies on it long enough so that they don’t get rickets. I’m not satisfied with the product though. It seems like all the products have the same problems. All dog feeds are made for couch potato dogs and not for breeders. The product keeps my Labrador Retriever females from coming in heat right. And they don’t conceive right. The vets at Ohio State says it’s because of the dog feed. We still have to give the dogs additives, like extra vitamins, so that they settle right and have enough milk.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I've been using Diamond for about 10 years and I love the all-natural puppy food. I feed the lamb and rice. It's just been amazing for my use. I haven't ever had a dog that has diarrhea because of dog food. For five years, I raised dachshunds and then I switched over to French bulldogs. When I take my puppies to the vet and have them checked, they're as healthy as they can be.

I had five puppies in my last litter. I called Diamond and they sent me the packs. I try to send at least two of the packages along with the puppy. I tell the people that I've been using this dog food for a long time and I've never had trouble with diarrhea or getting sick on it. Most of them say they would give it a shot. When there was anybody that don't use Diamond food, I have tried to get them to switch because it is so much better than anything else that I've ever used. I've used a lot of different dog food until I got using Diamond.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I predominantly breed and train Labrador Retrievers for both upland hunting and duck hunting, things of that nature. I also have a contract with K2 Solutions for explosives detection work. They provide Labradors to the Second Marine Division for IED work. I've been using Diamond for 13 years as I like the ingredients. I left for a while when they had an issue where it got contaminated corn. That was a bad thing but when something like that happens, it's more stringent on their operating practices. I then came back. It's been one of the few foods that I've been able to use. It also keeps weight on a lot of hunting breeds and also the Schutzhund dogs that I train for competition.

I use the Extreme Athlete but I also use Diamond Pet Food. In the summertime when it gets so hot here in Alabama, sometimes I will back down to the Chicken and Rice. But I still end up going back to the Extreme Athlete because the dogs retain their weight so well with it. I've recommended Diamond to my clients when they purchased puppies. I'm starting them all from scratch. I also recommend that my customers and clients keep their dogs on it once the dogs go home from where they've been eating the food at my place.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I used to use Diamond Pet Foods. I've gone down to a little less expensive food, but I do love Diamond. It's good food. I like the way it made the dogs look when they ate. They looked healthy. Their food wasn't mushy.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Diamond Naturals is the best for large and giant breed dogs. I have been buying Large Breed Adult Lamb Meal & Rice Formula and the Large Breed Puppy for for years and my dogs have thrived on it. They have grown at a steady pace and have been healthy as you could ever hope for. My current male Great Pyrenees Loki loves the stuff and has grown to a healthy 170lbs and not at all fat. Has plenty of muscle and could run and play all day. I have recommended the same food to new pyr owners in the area that have asked for my advice and have recommended Diamond Naturals to every dog and puppy owner I know.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I found another brand I like better. I'm using something that's a little bit more higher grade and a little bit more expensive, I can afford to now. But I still like Diamond. I'm a dog trainer and I refer my clients to it. I've been using it for several years. A lot of times the prices for what you get are really good deals. It's a wholesome food. I do a lot of shepherd class dogs, Dutch shepherds, German shepherds and Belgian shepherds. We do policing, search and rescue and protection dogs.

We're using Extreme Athlete for those dogs that I just listed and also through adolescence, when they're stretching out a lot. They're a large breed and they're very active, and a lot of these dogs need to lose weight. They burn calories like you will not believe. Out of all the products that Diamond makes for dogs that need to put on weight and dogs that are active and working, the Extreme Athlete seems to be the go-to food. I still use Diamond products up 'till four to six months of age. For the puppy developmental stages, I like Diamond, the purple bag puppy. It's the best. I think for what it is and what it cost, you can't get any better puppy food. And the black bag performance, it would be the other stuff that I would use.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I breed Great Pyrenees and average about five litters a year. I buy them Diamond Pet Foods, mainly for the price, but the breeder I got my dogs from recommended it. For the pups, I use the Large Breed Puppy. And for my adult dogs, I use the Large Breed. It's the dark green color. I like the Naturals' ingredients. It keeps the dogs healthy and satisfied.

Also, I appreciate the breeder program of sending food. However, the sample that comes is too small, especially for large breed puppies. That little packet is a nice snack for puppies, but that's it. I always have to include a whole baggie of food. However, I understand that it's a price thing for Diamond Pet Foods. I give it to customers and tell them that I'm happy with it. A couple of people have said that they have a hard time finding it. These people are more city-oriented and don't have farm stores. I tell them that they could order it on Chewy, but it's $10 more a bag than it is at the farm stores. So, a lot of times, it's comparable in price to many other brands through Chewy. I'm extremely satisfied with it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I heard that Diamond was good. I've been using it for a year now. One of my breeders had the dogs on Diamond grain-free. I continued then I switch them to Diamond Natural because I heard the grain-free was not good for dogs. I have standard poodles and twice a year, they have litters. It's once a year with one of the dogs. I give a ziplock baggie full of Diamond with the name on it when I send puppies home. The only thing is I don't know how to get the samples. Also, I wish Diamond would lower the price. Other than that, my poodles don’t go to the bathroom as much with Diamond.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We raise dachshunds and it's a joint venture. Our whole family works with it and everybody is involved. We have litters at least every month. We have a kennel so a litter comes in almost all the time. We feed Diamond to our adults and to our puppies. We've been using it on and off for a good 10 years. We like the value and protein content. On our adult dogs, we use the Diamond Naturals chicken and rice. It's kind of a brown or gold tan bag. We mix the purple bag of the puppy food for our adult so they get a combination of those two. In the kennel, the moms and puppies get the blue bag of the Diamond Naturals. That's chicken and rice too. For over 10 years, Diamond has worked and my dogs eat it well so we're happy. I just hope they don't change the formula.

I send puppies to their new homes with Diamond samples except in the summertime. My puppies tend to get diarrhea during that time. I mix either a half and half Diamond and Eukanuba or half and half Diamond and Purina Pro Plan. They get sent home with the other sample just because if the puppies go straight Diamond in the summertime, I cannot control their food. I have thought about it. I don't know if it's the way Diamond trucks it or if it's on a local level. Also, we’re here in Alabama and it gets extremely hot. One thing I really watch for is in the summer months, like maybe May to mid-September. I stock up on a couple of months of it before the hot months arrived. That's the only issue I've had. The little dachshunds' tummies are sensitive and the least little thing gets them an upset stomach.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

We have some Great Danes and some adult dogs and I've been using Diamond for probably 10 to 12 years. I use the Naturals brand and it’s fine with Diamond. The pet food helps in my dogs' weight and shiny coats.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We were switching foods because one of our dogs wasn't able to keep her weight on. We tried Diamond. We have Labs and we've been using it for almost two years now. We breed once in a while, and we start the puppies with the Diamond Natural puppy. When we have a litter of puppies, we used to get the small bags to give to the people. At one point, we had an issue. So, we ended up just buying a big bag of it and then putting it in smaller bags and telling people, "This is what we use," and we usually give them a print out of all the facts of the food and how much to give them. Right now, our grown dogs are on the Hi-Energy. Everything is good with them. Their energy is good. Their coats are fine.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I was very satisfied with Diamond. I was quite a regular, and then all of a sudden, my four dogs kinda stopped eating it. I even tried a fresh bag from another store. I tried a different flavor of that brand and they were getting really picky. I breed Silver Labs and I have a standard poodle as well and she kind of followed suit. And so, I dug into it a little bit. I cleaned out my water. I washed my bowls and cleaned out the area. Maybe they need something fresh, and it didn’t really go like I wanted it to. I couldn’t really find any answers. So I stopped using it. I’ve always heard it was good food, especially being quality. Maybe not the top-notch out there but it is very well priced for the quality of food that it was. And so, I really had no complaints up until they stopped eating it.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I've been using Diamond for like 20 years. The first dog that I had on it passed away at 14 a couple years ago. Even years ago, I was aware that the garbage food brands don’t grow a dog right. There was one good store down in Sioux Falls and the lady there said, “Well, let’s try this with your puppy, see how he does.” My dog was badly in worms and everything else that was digestive upset, and nothing was working with him. So, we went right into the Lamb and Rice puppy. And ever since then, anybody that’s having a problem with their dogs, I get them on to switch over a Diamond product. People see yeasty ears disappear, yeasty feet disappear, and skin coats improve. It’s been an all-arounder.

We breed American bullies, the main ones, and then, the man-dogs, which is a molosser mix is the secondary. We breed for service dogs and working dogs. We had a house fire while our last litter was in the house. We had the care package sent in April. The care package actually arrived a couple days after the house fire. But I was able to get other breeders to handle the pamphlets and the dog food with their pups. So, we got a few more people on the brand. Even before I knew Diamond had a breeder kit, and I always send puppies home with their Diamond Puppy. Diamond got the probiotics. They got the good oils and fats. If a dog food bag comes that’s not quite right, the customer service has been outstanding.

Right now, I mainly use Performance for the girls that I have that are large breed. I’ve seen dogs where their siblings are passing away three years sooner than what my dogs do. So, we get three to five years extra life with Diamond. We’ve seen less tumors in some of our dogs than their siblings that are on bad food. We see better clarity in eyes as they age. We see less hip problems because they're getting the nutrients, balanced with the exercise and the proper growth rate. It’s an overall, a bonus benefit. I even post on Facebook. People say, “What do I feed my puppy?” I say, “What breed? What size?” And I try to give them the best Diamond for their puppy.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I did some research online and decided to try Diamond. I have three standard poodles, a Goldendoodle, a lab and a sheep-a-doodle, and I've been using Diamond for about three years. I have 60 puppies a year and I use the Diamond Puppy. I feed it to all of my breeding dogs year-round. I also always tell the new owners to continue with Diamond and keep them on the puppy food until they're a year-old. My husband feeds his two dogs with Diamond as well.

I had poodles that had 15 puppies and she fed 13 puppies the whole time. The puppies were at six weeks old, and you couldn’t even tell that the mother just had puppies. Her body condition was excellent. Diamond keeps my dogs in perfect condition so that they can breed and raise healthy babies. I’d highly recommend Diamond. Also, when I have litter on the ground, I send Diamond an email and they’ll send me a box of samples and pamphlets for my customers. I love it. They're really quick about that as well.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I have a Maltese and we've been using Diamond for the last nine years. We like it. We haven't had any problems with it so far. We have litters and we send puppies to their new homes with Diamond. I tell them that we've had real good luck. We feed the mommas the same thing too. They haven't had any allergies or anything with the amount of the stuff that it's in there, and they've been getting fat and healthy with them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I switched to Diamond Pet Foods because their ingredients does not have corn in it. I've been using them for two and a half years, and I started the kennel or selling Goldendoodles around that time, and I just wanted to feed them a quality dog food. I’ve never fed anything else other than that. My dogs love it. I use the Diamond Naturals. I use All Life stages. It is grain-free. Just one dog had an allergy and I've used that. But everything I've read it off are concerned about the grain-free. They say stay away from it, so I've tried to stay away from grain-free. The brand is not so high-priced that it’s outrageous, but it’s not the cheapest on the shelf. I try to buy it when it’s on sale.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

This will be my sixth year since I’ve been breeding and I’ve always stuck with Diamond because it works better for my bigger dogs. I breed Italian mastiffs, German Shepherds, and many Goldendoodles. I’ve got 25 breeding dogs, and I’ve got four litters on the ground right now and I’ve got six litters on the way. I used to feed Victor but it dries my big dogs' skin out. It was burning them up. It was too high in protein and they were having a lot of skin problems. So I switched to Diamond and it has made their coats a lot better. They did not lose hair and it didn’t dry their skin out. The Italian mastiffs' coats are silky and they don’t shed as badly.

I also like Diamond because it’s greatly priced. Victor was $50 a bag. Diamond is not that expensive and although it's expensive, it’s a great dog food. I recommend it to everybody. I send them home with the puppy packet and most people stick to what I recommend. I didn’t get to send samples with two litters but it was my fault. I just did not have time to email Diamond. But I emailed last week and I got my stuff today so I’m pretty happy. With all the other puppies, I’ve sent it in their to-go bags.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I adopted a 4 year old Westie 6 years ago. When we got him home he would not eat any of the food we offered. We bought approximately 6-7 different brands that we ended up giving away. I came across Diamond's Chicken and Rice and he loves it! When his dog buddies come over they run to the food bowl and gobble it down. These visiting dogs love it and have no side effects with a change of food. The other dog owners are embarrassed that their dog was a piggy but I just laugh because it is so inexpensive and enjoy watching them eat it like a kid with a bowl of candy. Thank you Diamond for my happy healthy pup Felix.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have 20 cats so I have kittens all the time and I've been using a lot of Diamond for years. I also give their samples to my customer and I need to order. I wish their grain-free was a little cheaper though. I use Diamond’s kitten food but I have some Persians that can't eat it. Some Persians can't tolerate all the grain and so, my Himalayans and Persians had to eat the Purina Kitten Chow. It puts good weight on them and they don't run right through them. I've also used Diamond’s dog food too because I used to raise a lot of dogs and I'm just getting back into that, so I will be using it for them but I gotta figure out what the Yorkies are gonna eat.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have toy Australian Shepherds and mini Australian Shepherds. I also have a few poodles that we do the Aussiedoodles and we’re doing the crosses. I've been giving them Diamond pet food forever and I like the Diamond Naturals. I’m happy with the lamb and rice, but with the chicken, the stools were looser on the babies and I’m not sure why. I’m also not impressed with their regular Diamond.

Other than that, I have some small breed puppies that I like to feed with the lamb and rice, but Diamond only offers that Naturals in a large breed puppy bite, not in a small bite. The small bite is chicken and I will not feed chicken because it doesn’t agree with a lot of breeds. My dogs have a sensitive stomach and they’re gonna have diarrhea. I have requested Diamond to make the Naturals for a small breed puppy in lamb and rice because then, when I sell the puppies and I have the packets that go out with them, people would not be asking why I am feeding the small breed puppy large breed puppy food. I always have to explain that it's because I can’t get the food for the small breed in the lamb and rice. The puppies can eat the large breed bite, it's just that the food is in a package that says large breed puppy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I've been using Diamond Pet Foods for my dogs for 20 years. They don't put a lot of fillers or corn for the type that I use which is the lamb, chicken or the beef. And my dogs never had an allergy or a reaction. They always have a solid stool every time, so I've just stuck with the food all their lives. And I'm a kennel, so I suggest all of that to my customers as well. I breed labradoodles and goldendoodles and have litters every three or four months.

The puppies I free feed, so they can eat as much as they want of the puppy food. And the large dogs, when they're pregnant or when they have puppies, are also free fed. But the male ones, I feed them three times a day. I get puppy packets from Diamond, which is a little sample bag and a little literature. I send that in a puppy kit that I make up. I let the people know that that's what the puppy has been eating, and that's what all the parents eat. And it's their choice to go somewhere else, but I haven't had anybody tell me they've ever went to any other brand.

I've been breeding the dogs for years, and everybody keeps their dogs on the Diamond or to my knowledge that they do. I also breed service dogs which are the labradoodles. I also use them for service animals as well. I sell service animals which are the same breed, but I also sell them to handicaps. And also, I discount mine for families which nobody else does. Diamond has always been really good to me and the food is really good to my dogs. All of my dogs are very healthy and very thick. I'm in the process of getting a website for my business because I've been selling these doodles for so many years and I've done it through other means. I will also add the type of dog food on my webpage that they've been feeding on.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I like the size of Diamond's puppy food and also what the contents are like the formula. I breed Shih Tzus about five litters a year, and we routinely send the puppies to their new home with Diamond samples. I get it through Diamond. It’s super easy to do the transactions with them. I just email and then they send it out. It's much easier than any other company that we’ve ever used. So, that’s why we recommend it.

My dogs do great on Diamond. Our puppies wean easily. They don’t have any digestive issues. They have great coats, great eyes, and great health checks. That’s a good quality food. We only recommend Diamond because of what is in it. Diamond Naturals is a natural product. And it’s got a very good formula. It stays consistent. Some companies change based on what’s cheaper and more filler, and you don’t get a consistent product. But we’ve had good consistency throughout the years with Diamond.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Breeding was kind of a hobby and I've got two Irish cream labs and two female bulldogs. We use a bag of Diamond pet food a week. I use Diamond Puppy all the time, nothing else. I had tried a lot of different kinds of dog food. But I knew I had to feed the mothers higher protein when they are pregnant and then the puppies also had to have it. I had soon discovered that they do better just letting them on it all the time. I keep them in shape and I give them additional vitamins during their pregnancy.

For the puppies, we put the food in a blender with warm water and start them out with a mash when they’re three and a half weeks old. We’ll start giving a little bit of that on the side then we put them back with their mother for another week until they’re close to four and a half weeks or they’re ready to eat just that. For about a week, you can tell they’re going through the transition of not being on milk and going on some dry food. They look better after they get Diamond puppy on them for a week. They get rid of their milk belly and slim out a little bit then they blossom out from there. They look pretty healthy and we get a lot comments about our puppies. Their skin and hair always look fine as well. It’s also really nice to have the little samples to send the puppies home along with. It's more complimentary that way. But if we don’t have the small package, we usually just put the food in a ziplock bag.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

We've been using Diamond in the last four years and it's doing great. We use the Puppy, the Maintenance and the Hi-Energy formulations. We chose Diamond based on the research on the food and we get free pet samples to send home with our litters. Diamond backs up their product really well. We also always add extra to the samples so the customers have a good five days of feed in case they don't have a local Diamond dealer. Our pups go all over United States. We breed Labrador Retrievers and we usually have four litters a year. The puppies do really well with the Puppy stuff, starting at four weeks, watered down. They have a lot better solid poop.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I've been using Diamond Pet Food for my dogs for the last 15 years. I like the quality of it better. My dogs eat less, the stool mess is not as bad and the coats are really nice. I like the Diamond Naturals the best because it has probiotics and prebiotics in it, and it has a lot of Omega 3s in it too. I get a lot of nice, shiny and fat puppies on that food. And my adults do well on it too. I have Poodle, Chihuahua, and Dachshund. I have about 25 dogs now and we have puppies coming through all the time. I was getting Diamond Naturals samples to send home with the puppies and I needed to order some more. It is my favorite puppy food. I just wish I could find it easier in my area. I’m state-licensed and I breed dogs for a living. And when I go to the stores and I can only find an 18-pound bag, it’s never enough. So, I have to sometimes get other brands and mix because the stores don’t carry quantities that I need.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We breed Labrador retrievers and we have litters usually about once a year. Diamond helps them stay healthy. It's good quality, and we can get grain-free. I just sent home a litter of puppies with dog food in the last couple of weeks. Everyone's happy.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I feed multiple dogs. I started out with the boxers, and now, we raise standard poodles too. I've been using Diamond for 10 years because of the availability. The puppy foods is in a purple bag, and we feed the green bag Diamond to our adults. The dogs have good stool and no irritation. They have good coats.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

This dog food has truly been the best I have ever given my dogs. They both love it and look great because of the change I made from other company. Both my dogs have soft shiny coats and are at the perfect weight. If you have true American dogs like the coons and cur dogs definitely try this brand out.

Diamond Pet Foods Company Information