2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.67/5

Looking for a new brand of food for your pet? Diamond Pet Foods offers a variety of dry & canned food, as well as treats made specifically for your dogs. Our food is made from high-quality ingredients in order to give your dog the best nutrition possible. Visit our website today to learn more about our products & ingredients!

View More View More

Diamond Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I’m a small hobby breeder and I breed miniature dachshunds and dachshunds. When I started, I looked for puppy food that was high in protein and high in fat. I looked at the nutritional analysis and started with the Diamond Puppy Food because it was very much like Eukanuba, which I was using but was a lot less expensive. When the Diamond Naturals came out with no corn, wheat or soy, and the first ingredient is chicken, I was happy to start using that. I have been using Diamond for 10 years at least and my dogs are all very healthy. They have shiny coats and they are very active. I have never had a problem with any of my dogs having a food allergy or not thriving on that food, so when it works, I’m sticking with it. I’ve been very pleased with Diamond and it has been super helpful when I have litters on the ground. I call for the sample packs of puppy food, and they're sent out right away.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We have been feeding our four Great Pyrenees dogs Diamond Natural large breed chicken and rice kibble for many years without a problem until recently. We started our young Pyrenean Mastiff on it last year and it seemed OK at the time. Recently she developed diarrhea, and two days later began vomiting which did not resolve, after a day, we took her to vet emergency hospital where she died of multiple organ failure the following day. Healthy to dead in less than one week. On leash, in kennel or in house; no access to other dogs or forage. Now my Great Pyrenees dogs are showing lesser but related symptoms. I am looking for new food and a toxicology lab to test the Diamond food.

Diamond Pet Foods response

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Did the emergency vet have a list of possible causes for organ failure from the blood work? We are happy to review the blood work if you would like. I imagine there would be some comfort in understanding why she got so sick and passed

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I was really excited to try Diamond Naturals because I have read some good reviews about it, and it is a cheaper brand with good ingredients. However, I tried feeding it to my dog only once yesterday, and he was throwing up as well as scratching his head and licking his paws profusely the entire night. There is fur all over my house from his intense scratching and he has never done this before. I called the vet and they said it is most likely the food so I will be stopping it immediately. It is too bad because I had high hopes for this brand! So to other buyers please beware and be cautious before you buy a 40 lb bag like I did that you cannot use for the sake of your dog’s health.

Diamond Pet Foods response

Hope your dog is back to normal. Sounds like he has a food allergy to one of the ingredients. Please call us @ 800.442.0402 and we can follow through with our satisfaction guarantee

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I’ve raised two litters of Labradoodle puppies on Diamond and everything went really well. Somebody had recommended it to me and it was sold at Tractor Supply where we get our things, and I've been using it for five years now. I went with the Naturals and the puppies had no issues with any skin or ear problems. I would definitely recommend Diamond Pet Foods.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We breed dogs, but they're our pets too and we give them the Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy formulation. We used it based on a lot of good reviews on the Large Breed Puppy food and I've been using it for three years now since I’ve had dogs. I also used it for eight years before that and I got off of the Diamond for a minute just to try something different, then I had to go back to it. Diamond helps our dogs' coats and muscle tone. It also helps them put weight on but in a nice way. And whenever the puppies are about to go to their new homes, we get two bags of samples from Diamond which goes out to each client.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diamond Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I would recommend Diamond Pet Foods to anybody. Somebody recommended it and I've been using it for over 10 years. I looked at the ingredients on it too, and they had said, "Check out the Diamond All Natural." I started using it then, and I really liked it. We used the regular Diamond, and I had to quit because, to me, it made the puppies' poop smell too bad. When I switched to the All Natural, there was a big difference. The poop doesn't smell as bad. I breed Pomeranians, Shih Tzus, Poodles, and Yorkies, and the puppies all do good off of the Diamond All Natural Puppy. It is a small breed puppy food, because the little bites are so tiny that they can eat it. We've never had any problems, and I also feed it to the lactating mommas because it has a little bit of calcium in it. The mommas get it. I give it to them two to three weeks before they have their babies, and then they eat it up until they weaned off their babies.

I'm on the Diamond breeders program, and so, I give my buyers the sample doggy bag puppy pet food, and I tell them to leave it on the puppies for a year, and as they get older, then they can switch to the regular Diamond. But if they can't get it, take the packages, and mix them half and half of what they get. For the most part, most of them are willing because they can get it at Tractor Supply and the feed stores all have it. I've had people that have brought me back the puppy because something happened and they couldn't keep it, or they had to move, and they all bring me these big bags of Diamond Pet Foods. But I strongly recommend that they keep using it, at least till the dog's a year old.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was looking for something that was high quality then and Diamond was rated very good so I decided to try it. We used it for five years and we were very happy with it. We breed miniature dachshund and we used the Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy for all of the puppies and the pregnant moms. And then for everybody else, which would include moms that weren’t pregnant, nursing dogs and the males, we used the Diamond Naturals. Chicken & Rice was the most that we used, and then once in a while, I'd get a Lamb or a Beef just to mix in and give them a little variety.

But then, somebody told us to switch food every few years and not just stay on the same thing. I didn’t think that was really true but someone suggested this new kind to me to try and so I gave it a try. I noticed that with Diamond, when our nursing moms were about three weeks into having their babies, they had diarrhea or very soft stools. But that didn't happen with the new kind. Nevertheless, everybody was healthy and got beautiful coats with the Diamond pet food. We were very happy with it and many, many people too because we give out samples. When they see how healthy and beautiful the dogs are, then they wanna continue with it. In fact, we have swayed hundreds and hundreds of people to Diamond. We were telling a lot of people about it and I had it on the website too.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I breed Italian mastiffs and I feed them Diamond Naturals Large Breed because of the quality. My dogs have good, shiny coats and good overall health.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We've been using Diamond Pet Foods for our dogs for about five years. I use the Diamond Naturals for Puppies, for Large breeds for the Great Pyrenees and Diamond Naturals for Small Breed Puppy. I also use just the Diamond Puppies for my males and Diamond Naturals for my indoor cat. I like the protein content and it’s also convenient for me to get. The dogs like it and I always recommend it. Also, when I’d have puppies the reps of Diamond Pet would send me out stuff for the puppy packs.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I'm a breeder and I was looking for something to feed the dogs. I wanted something that I could feed to both the puppies and the parents, and when I feed it to the puppies, it wouldn't upset their stomachs with the changeover. I've been using Diamond for over a year now and the dogs have been good on it. But the puppies couldn't handle the All Life Stages. It was too big. I have the small breeds, Maltese, Shorkies and Shih Tzu. I went to the small breed puppy food and they seem to do better with that. When I sell the dogs, I also give my customers the sample pack that I get through Diamond.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

When I started using Diamond, it was because a friend has had it for a little while and really liked it. She also liked that they made the small kibble. I have Schnauzers and I've been using Diamond for several years now. I was using the Diamond Natural Small Breed Puppy but I'm on the Tennessee-Virginia line and I have a hard time finding it here. I hate that part. Tractor Supply carries it but they would never order me the other bag. So I usually use the regular Diamond Puppy. Nonetheless, all my dogs have done well on Diamond and I've never had any complaints about their health and well-being.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We breed Poodles and we have litters every three months. We've been using Diamond Pet Foods for about four years and we use the Naturals Small Breed. They seem to stay with a fit built which we like. We routinely send the puppies to their new homes with Diamond Samples. There are a few puppies that don’t really want it, so we do what the pup prefers.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I’ve used Diamond brand dog food for nine years with my Huskies that have a mineral deficiency disorder. No problems. So now I have a 6 month German Shepherd and the vet recommended large breed puppy food. So of course I choose Diamond. The puppy has had consistent runny diarrhea since August. We are working with the vet to find the cause but it seems like it must be the food. The other option is to run expensive tests to rule out other problems. Based on the reviews here I believe I will try a new food first.

Diamond Pet Foods response

GSD are notorious food sensitive stomachs, not what you'd expect from such a noble breed. Please call us at 800.442.0402 so we can follow through on our satisfaction guarantee and help you find a less rich recipe that works for your puppy

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Diamond was the only food my dog would eat. I like that it was a premium food and it was less poop. They eat less and they seem to do well on it. I have boxers and depending on my females, I have three litters a year. When I send them to their new homes, I sometimes forget to order Diamond and I just send those zip lock bags full of Diamond Puppy. I also send them home with the brochures about the adult food.

I’m gonna be switching my one female that was just spayed to a maintenance one because she’s getting a little bit fat eating the Hi-Energy. I use Diamond Large Breed Puppy, the Naturals and the regular Puppy for my puppies but my adults eat Diamond Hi-Energy. When I had a senior, I fed him the Senior Formula. However, when they changed the recipe for the Extreme Athlete, my dogs had explosive diarrhea. They never changed the formula back. So, I just moved on to the next food that they would actually eat. All my dogs have beautiful, nice, shiny coats. It is good food and I like it. I recommended it to everybody that I sold puppies to and anybody who asked me for a recommendation. I also tell them what kinds I use and most likely, they tried it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My dog was on this food since we brought her home at 8 weeks. She has had diarrhea for a month now. She is 13 weeks this week and still has it. I’m going to stop the food and put her on Eukanuba puppy chow. We ran a fecal and nothing was out of the ordinary. Poor puppy had explosive in her kennel twice and now runs for the door every morning and has diarrhea first before urinating. This is bad and if it’s something in this food I’m going to be very upset with this company. I’m a stay at home mom and the puppy is around me 24/7 and I walk her so she didn’t get in to anything. This is so sad. Chewy gave me a refund. They’re a great company. Switched to new food yesterday so if it stops I’ll know it was this brand.

Diamond Pet Foods response

Sorry to hear about the loose poo. Since it's been going on for a month, it is likely a case of dysbiosis, where the good and bad bacteria get out of whack. Thus long after the cause of diarrhea has passed, the diarrhea continues. Often a course of the antibiotic, metronidazole, gets everything back in the proper ratios and the diarrhea resolved.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I have Maremma Sheepdog. They are a livestock guardian breed that is large like the Great Pyrenees. I used Diamond for my dogs for about five years. Unfortunately, I had some issues while feeding them the product. They had recurring yeast infections in their ears, hot spots, and oily coats. I had to micromanage their feeding amounts to keep a stable weight on them. Since I switched foods, all of those problems have cleared up.

Diamond's food is not necessarily terrible but they need to take more responsibility. I have been invested in human nutrition for a long time. I did a lot of research and looked at the ingredients. I would tell other people to research Diamond, and make sure that the company is being responsible in testing their food before, after, and during processing. They should also do feeding trials and that they stand behind their products with longevity and history, and that their dogs are not having these problems because the food hasn’t gone through the proper testing that it needs to go through.

Diamond Pet Foods response

Glad to hear your Maremma are doing well. As a livestock guardian dog, I imagine the condition under which they live are quite different than the average dog pet. To address your feeding trial suggestions, when one looks at doing feeding trials, one must think long and hard about keeping dogs in cages for 6 months. Just because a diet can sustain a dog in a laboratory environment for six months, without causing illness or abnormal blood values, doesn’t mean it will perform the same way for dogs who may lead a much more active and stressful life, and for years on end. Foods that acquire the right to use a nutritional adequacy claim based on feeding trials need not be formulated to meet the other standard for nutritional adequacy: the “nutrient levels” criteria. Foods that pass feeding trials are not required to contain minimum or maximum levels of any particular nutrients. Therefore, it’s possible for a food to sustain dogs long enough to 'pass' the trial, but fail to demonstrate an ability (in real-world, long-term use) to promote optimum health. As one example, mineral excesses may take a year or more to cause noticeable health problems, but a food that claims to provide complete and balanced nutrition for adult dogs (a 'maintenance' claim) may have just passed 6 month test. We prefer to do nutritional adequacy testing, so that dogs don't have to be locked in cages for little or no benefit.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Ever since I started breeding six years ago, I've been using Diamond Pet Foods. It's local and my dogs seem to really like it. Their coats shine and they do really good on that. I’ve tried different foods. I’ve tried Purina and I just didn’t like the way that the pups have done with it so I went back to Diamond. I have dachshunds and for the puppies, I use the Natural Small Breed. For the outside dogs, I use the Green and Gold. And for the inside dogs, I use the Natural Small Breed of Dogs. I buy three different brands, three different kinds.

I called Diamond and they sent me sample packs for when I sell my puppies and that was really nice. I appreciate that. I also promote Diamond food and almost all seemed to go in and continued with it if they could get it in their area. And some of them even ordered online. I’ve been really pleased with it. I just had one experience. I buy them sometimes at Orscheln and I got a bag that was molded. The bag had been ripped. I called Diamond first and then I called Orscheln. I took it back and they immediately replaced it.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I was looking for puppy food that is small enough for my Chihuahuas that has a good quality to it and a lot of protein and fat. Those little guys hardly eat anything so I wanted to get the most into them. I start outright with hard food and I want something that they can eat without being a problem. So I always start the puppies out with Diamond. Even the regular Diamond puppy food is pea-size so they don't choke on it even if they swallow it. I also see nice growth and improvement with the puppies because of the fact that the food is little.

I've been using Diamond for about 15 years now but it's a little harder to get the Diamond samples. With potential owners, I actually promote Purina more because they send me puppy packs. It's just easier. And because I start selling my puppies at six weeks, I'm generally in the process of weaning them from Diamond onto the Purina so they get a mixture when I send them. I still do recommend Diamond. I just don't promote it as much as the Purina. I also would not start out with a Purina puppy food because they don't offer anything small enough for the little dogs. Other than Chihuahuas, I also have Chows and I feed them Diamond as well.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

We have been feeding our dogs Diamond Naturals products for over a year now. Prior to the most recent bag we purchased, we were pleased with the product. Recently, however, our dogs have been vomiting profusely after every meal. We have 2 dogs and the youngest dog is the one we watch closest due to digestive issues from time to time. This time the oldest dog was vomiting, as well, which made me even more concerned. I've stopped feeding them the Diamond Naturals brand and switched to another brand. They are doing just fine now. What's going on with your product?

Diamond Pet Foods response

I'm sorry to hear that. By recently, do you mean just with this bag? Do you always feed the same DN recipe or do you switch them up? I'm hoping you still have the bag, and thus, the production code from the back? The code identifies the batch that yours came from. I'd love to conduct an internal investigation into your batch. We retain samples from each batch that we can then assess. We are not experiencing any cluster of issues either geographically or by recipe but we are happy to investigate and make sure it is not a food related issue

No response received
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We recently bought this food because the reviews on other sites were good and it was affordable. Within several hours of feeding, both dogs began vomiting all over the house. Within several more hours the diarrhea started, again all over the house and throughout the night. These dogs are normally very healthy. We thought it may be something else so we fed the food for another day and the issues continued and never stopped. There has to be something going on recently with so many similar complaints. Scared to try the food again.

Diamond Pet Foods response

Gosh I'm so sorry to hear that! Which Diamond recipe did you try? What were you switching from? What are your dogs' names, breed and ages?

No response received
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Please address the concern of the FDA and consumers regarding some grain free foods causing life threatening heart disease in some dogs because of lack of a certain enzyme needed to process minerals. I fed my last 2 Golden Retrievers your lamb & rice exclusively. Always recommended it to my retriever friends. 2 weeks ago my healthy 5 year old Golden died suddenly. This week my close friend's 2 year old English Lab died suddenly. Both dogs on your food since puppies.

So research on the internet comes up with serious concerns about your food lacking this important enzyme that protects their heart. What is your response?

Diamond Pet Foods response

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately for Golden Retrievers there now appears to be a genetic predisposition to Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Dr Stern @ UC Davis is expected to publish something along those lines, hopefully soon. Since you have been feeding Diamond Lamb & Rice, it is not grain free, so I would not expect there to be any possible taurine concerns. You mentioned enzymes and minerals, but the ongoing research about this heart condition, possibly has to do with an amino acid called taurine. To this day pet food manufacturers are not required to have taurine in pet foods because people and dogs can make it from the amino acid precursors cysteine and methionine. Nonetheless we started adding taurine to our recipes before the FDA issued their statement. Once again I am sorry for you and your friend's loss

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

So I feed Diamond Performance, ya know the black and purple bag. Well I just spent 275 a dog at the vet due to bloody diarrhea and vomiting. I have two dogs. They are both sick. Vet ruled out parvo. They are current on shots. They don’t go to parks or any of that. Vet said to stop feeding that food and switch to another brand. Looking into the cost of having their open bag of food tested.

Diamond Pet Foods response

I’m sorry to hear about both your dogs being sick. Are they doing better now? Please tell me about them-name, breed and age. Can you please give me the production code from the back of the bag? That identifies the 100,000# batch of food that yours came from. I can then do an internal investigation of your batch. We retain samples from each batch so I can have the Quality Control Manager pull those samples and assess them. Thank you

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I purchased this for my dog after his Vet suggested he had a chicken and wheat allergy. Within two days he developed diarrhea and was pooping all over the house (something he has NEVER EVER done). I started to search about TOTW and diarrhea in dogs and came across this article dated 9/11/2018. TOTW is under investigation for putting very very bad things in their food and there has even been a class action lawsuit initiated against them. I called Chewy and immediately requested to return everything and informed them of this.

Hello,

I hope your dog's diarrhea has resolved. Not fun for either of you. We aren't "under investigation" by anyone and are not having any recalls or clusters of issues. Unfortunately in the litigious society in which we live, anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone for anything at any time. A law firm known for these suits did file one. We had an independent lab repeat the tests the firm claimed they did, and found no presence of the elements. Although we have asked, they have not provided their samples for independent testing. Also the substances they cite are naturally occurring and are safe and common in both our and our pets' diets

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I recently adopted a 2 month old Shepherd puppy. They gave us Pedigree for free to feed her. She was 6 lbs. I switched her to Diamond dog food for puppy. Luna is 4 months old and now weighs 18 lbs. I am happy with the food. And she looks great. Thanks.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I WAS an avid consumer of Diamond Naturals products and now I will NEVER touch another one of their products. My Goldendoodle, Theo, used to get hard food and wet food twice a day. He was on and off sick as a puppy and we determined it was a chicken allergy. Then we switched to the beef and rice formula and he was violently ill with diarrhea and vomiting every time he ate, even after appropriately transitioning him. We transition him AGAIN to the lamb and rice formula, and the same thing happened again; diarrhea and vomiting immediately after eating.

Immediately took him off all Diamond products and switched him to Zignature lamb dry food and kangaroo wet food. Immediately after switching he became his normal happy, high energy self with no issues whatsoever. Turns out he does not have any allergies and it was just Diamond Naturals dog food that almost killed my dog. He now can happily have chicken, beef, and lamb with no problems after ditching Diamond. STAY AWAY from this brand. Zignature's dog food is HIGHLY recommend!

Diamond Pet Foods response
We are sorry to hear that Theo didn't do well on Diamond Naturals.So glad he is straightened out now and enjoying life as a happy puppy!

Resolution response: Oct. 12, 2018

Thank you for a quick response Diamond.. I tried to reintroduce Diamond back slowly and I have been slowly increasing Diamond in his diet and he is doing good so far.. I am planning to transition him to Diamond over a week.* Fingers crossed.*

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My 8 week old labrador was fed this by the breeder and he was doing fine. We had switched him to Pedigree a week ago and he was still doing fine. My vet said Pedigree is not that great and we switched back to Diamond. But since then he has been having watery diarrhea. We had to stop it yesterday and put him on a bland diet since diarrhea was getting worse. Immediately after his diarrhea has resolved. Not sure if this batch was not good. Is he allergic to lamb? Do I slowly try to re-introduce Diamond back? Not sure if anyone else is having similar issues? Do you have any suggestions?

Diamond Pet Foods response
Last we talked you were mixing Diamond back in and all was well, hope that's still the case!

Dr. Heldman

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have 2 Pit mix and 3 full breed Pit bulls... I was feeding them Pure Balance 30lb from Walmart that cost $48! Somethings happened and I needed a good but cheaper food for my babies so I called their vet (a well known and respected vet in my area) and they recommended slowly switching to this brand and you can purchase at the local feed mill for only $26 for 40lb bag :) and great... they eat less because it's filling and I've had no issues...

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I just started giving this food to my two dogs and my senior dog had become ill. She was vomiting and had severe diarrhea for days. I had to stop feeding her for a day then put her on a bland diet until she got better.

Diamond Pet Foods response
We are sorry to hear that. What were you feeding before? Depending on the food, a transition where you feed smaller amounts of the original and more of the new food, can sometimes take a week. If the change in the diet was sudden, it may have simply been too much too soon for her.

Dr. Heldman

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

This food made my dog deathly ill. She was pooping blood and vomiting. After taking her to the vet, running every possible test, I was told it could be her food. After three days of being on a bland diet, I gave her a different food, and she was fine. There are so many complaints about the same issues I have had. Please consider using another product. They almost killed my dog.

Diamond Pet Foods response

We hope Zoey got some antibiotics and continues to improve. It is scary to have a new puppy that is sick! After our vets spoke to your vet, the consensus is that the cause of Zoey's sickness was likely a bacterial infection such as campylobacter, clostridium, coronavirus or parvo virus, especially since another puppy in the litter was sick in its new home too.

No response received
Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Diamond used to be the only brand I trusted until the last year or so. I took my older dog off of the maintenance formula because she started getting diarrhea and vomiting every time she ate. So I thought maybe she was reacting badly due to an allergy. Then I started giving it to my husky. He became violently ill right after he ate... Poop-a-geddon... Pale runny stool and almost instant vomit. I switched to another food and they were fine. The rest of the Diamond was at the bottom of the bin and as soon as it got down to it and they had some... Both dogs sick again. My younger dog is still sick. He likely will be until the Diamond is out of his system. Something's up with the original Diamond.

Diamond Pet Foods Company Information