4.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
View More View More

1634 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 22, 2019

I have been purchasing Canidae Pet Foods for our dogs since 2001. We had a Lab for years, and now we have an English Shepherd that is like a Border Collie. Our dogs have always liked it. We always do the regular, the multi-breeds, adult, multi-protein. And we used to feed our cats Felidae as well, and they liked that. We appreciate the fact that it’s made out of good stuff. One time in 2003, I won a scratch-off contest in one of the bags, and I got a year’s worth of dog food for free. I really had a good experience dealing with Canidae.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your kind words Kevin! It's always a pleasure to hear from our loyal consumers regarding their success stories. We hope your English Shepherd continues to thrive on the All Life Stages Multi Protein formula.

All our best to you and your dog!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Canidae works for both of my dogs because I have an older dog and a younger dog. I got a half Blue Heeler, half Catahoula who's six and he’s an active dog. Then I have an older mutt and she’s nine. I feed them the same type and I really like the 44-pound bag because it would last me six weeks. It’s pretty important to me that I feed my dogs food made with natural ingredients and I've been using Canidae for a couple of years now. It’s a good value.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hey there Jenn! Thank you for your support and kind review! We definitely appreciate that you trust us to make sure your pups are getting all the nutrients we need :) If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I ran a feed store and they let me try Canidae, and I've been purchasing it for five years. I feed it to a beagle mix and she looks healthier because of it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hey there Renee. That is PAWSOME! We loving hearing how customers are enjoying our food and we appreciate all you support throughout these past 5 years. If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My cat was crazy about Canidae wet food. I like that the ingredients are simple. When I look at them, I don’t see anything that makes me wonder, “What is that?” or “Why is that in the food?” On the other hand, I’m a student who works part-time, so these things are outside of my price range. If I had the money, I’d probably be feeding my cat, cat food right now.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Hi there Windsay! Thank you for your kind review! Give us a call at 1-800-398-1600 for some coupons ;)

Original review: April 18, 2019

We have a Goldendoodle and the protein she was getting from the other food was too high. We started buying Canidae and we’ve been using it for three years. She likes it. She went from not always eating her food to eating her food all the time now.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hey there Allison! We are so happy to hear that your goldendoodle is now loving mealtime since switching to Canidae. If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: April 17, 2019

Canidae Lamb Flavor, Adult. Really helped with digestive issues, diarrhea, etc. Having to switch to RX food, one of my dogs is 9 and had kidney issues when I adopted from Kill Shelter. Age is the issue, not the food! All other dogs are in great health.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello there! Thank you for your support and kind review! We definitely appreciate you support and hope to continue to have your support throughout these years. If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 16, 2019

We purchased this food for our 12 week old Yellow Lab. He started with a 5 LB bag last week and was fine with it. Purchased 30LB bag from Petco last night, fed him this AM, an hour and half later he threw it all up. The bag of food did have a strong odor but we did not think anything of it at the time, now we believe the food was rancid. Very disappointed in Canidae product, not to mention the fact we had to go back to the store, replace the bag of food, put our puppy under stress for no fault of his.

Hi Donald,

We are very sorry to hear that and that your pup did not feel well. We would like to talk to you and get the bag best by date for QC purposes and get this taken care of for you and your sweet pup. We will also reach out to you via Private Message to make sure you and your pup have been taken care of.

Thank you!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been using this product for more than 20 years. I have had many dogs in the past and feed all of them this food. It was highly recommended to me. I also did my due diligence and what I read was all good.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello Marie! Thank you for your support and kind review. We are so happy to hear that you have been a loyal customer for over 20 years! We appreciate your loyalty more than you know! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 14, 2019

The dogs like the Canidae food products. We started when they were pups because the person that was raising the dogs suggested it, and it’s worked very good. The quality is good. It seems like the dry dog food sometimes is a little greasy, but it’s good dog food. We leave it in the bowl all the time and they just eat what they want out of it. Several years ago, I noticed the grease was a lot worse. It seems like they must have changed recipes several years ago and then it stopped happening. Now, they got the plastic bags and it’s a little bit harder to tell. We’re pretty happy with it that we have the dogs on Canidae for 12 years.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi Daniel! Thank you for your support and kind review! We are happy to hear you have been happy with our products for the past 12 years :) If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Canidae was recommended by my local feed store and my vet. I've been using them for 10 years and my dogs have been pretty healthy and their weights are controlled. I've been feeding them the adult dry variant and the packaging of the food is good. There is a program wherein the feed store takes the barcode off because it's not peelable. Through that program, when I buy 10 bags, I get one free. It's a pain in the butt when I pick the bag up but other than that, it's not a big deal. I'm super happy with Canidae.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We transitioned from Taste of the Wild to Canidae since Canidae was a recommendation from a pet store owner. We have two dogs and we switch around to the different types of Canidae flavor. With the Canidae, our dogs are energetic, their coats are nice, and they’ve always been rated as extremely healthy every time they’ve gone in.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello Amanda! We are so happy to hear that your pups are healthy and happy on Canidae! We love hearing stories like yours, so thank you for sharing! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 11, 2019

When I took in rescued pets, they were eating Canidae. I've been with them for about eight years now. Right now I have two pets on the brand. One is a Lhasa Apso that's about 6 and the other is a mixed breed that's about 12. I use the grain free but I’m trying to move away from it because my pets don’t like it anymore. I tried different flavors. I tried them all and I have to mix stuff to get my pets to eat it. Natural ingredients are very valuable to me. The healthier you can feed your pets, the healthier they’ll be.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your many years of support Helene! We are sorry to hear your dogs are not fond of the formula they had. We would love to send you some samples for them to try some other formulas. Thank you!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I purchased Canidae for fours years. My friend’s mother, who is a breeder, suggested it. My dog was healthy and seemed good until he passed away. He seemed pretty healthy and his face didn’t gray even when he got older.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi there Kyle! Thank you for all your support and we are happy to hear your pup lived a happy and healthy life while eating Canidae! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I’ve been using Canidae for a couple of years and it works great. I like the chicken formula. I've got dogs of all ages and with Canidae, their coats feel nice. My experience with Canidae has been good, so far. I also like Buffalo, but every time I went to the pet food store, they were always out of it so I switched to Canidae, which is always reliable. The pet food store always has it. Plus, its packaging is perfect.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi there Fred! Thank you for your kind and honest review! We appreciate your support and we are happy to hear your pups are happy and healthy while eating Canidae! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I've been feeding Canidae to my two Pit bulls for four years now. I chose Canidae base on the reviews that I read. Also, the food is good. I feed my pets the Pure Element flavor because it's grain free. It's very valuable feeding my pets natural ingredients and hopefully, Canidae contributes well to my pet's health.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support and for taking the time to leave your review. We are glad to hear how well your dogs do with their CANIDAE. If you ever have any questions please contact us.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I alternate between several different kinds of food and I rotate to Canidae about four times a year. We use it if there is a good price on it or a coupon. I like the ingredients and everything in it and I like to use it, although I like to change to other things as well. I feed Canidae to my puppy and I may have bought some for my cats as well. It depends on when I go to the pet store whatever is reduced in price or gives coupons. Canidae is a good brand, but it is a little pricey for me, so I have to try to get it when it is a bit reduced. Nevertheless, it’s a good product.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi there Gelane! Thank you for your support! We definitely appreciate it and if you would ever like some coupons, be sure to call us at 1-800-398-1600 and we would be happy to send you some. If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I used to have a pit bull and I used Pedigree. When I was at Best Pets getting dog food, I asked them and everybody recommended Blue Buffalo which I wasn’t fond of. The guy at the place told me to try Canidae and I stuck with it ever since. I have two pit bulls and that’s all I feed them. Right now, they are on All Life Stages formula, the big bag. I actually add another of the bison with that bag. I mix up two bags to make one. Altogether, I’ve been using Canidae for around three and a half years now. It’s a great product. When I had my other pit bull, I was buying a pedigree bag every two weeks. With Canidae, the healthier food, it is roughly a big bag a month I go through for them instead of it being two bags every month. I recommend Canidae to anybody. In fact, a few of my buddies have switched over to Canidae because of how healthy my dogs have been.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hey there Aaron! Thank you for all your support and we are so happy that your found Canidae! Its never too late to get your pup started on a high quality dog food!If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 5, 2019

We were using Blue Buffalo a long time ago and the feed store recommended Canidae. I talked to them and they said Canidae was better and a little cheaper. I have been purchasing Canidae for about seven years now and my dogs have been doing well on it and I am happy with it. When I first started feeding it to the Boxer, she was having some problems with the allergies and it probably helped. We are also part of the breeder program, so when we had puppies, it was nice to be able to do the All Life Stages to feed the puppies the same food we fed the adult.

I have a Great Dane currently and I need to change to the Sky formulation for her, but we only get half of the size bag for the same price. That has been a problem, so I haven’t switched to that yet. Canidae doesn’t make the big bags. They only make the 24-pound bag of the Sky, so it makes it a problem where I will spend double the amount of money and I will have to go to the feed store every other week to get it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi Tammy! Thank you for your kind review and all your support! We are so happy to hear that your pups are doing great and that you are making sure your puppies are starting out on a great and high quality dog food! Thank you for being a part of our breeders program! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I know Canidae for grain free, fairly short ingredient list and it fits the bill. I have been purchasing from them for about four years now. I am feeding Canidae to my two dogs. I have a three-year-old Weimaraner and a 10-year-old Labrador. I prefer to use Pure Sky. I am happy to use the bison and the salmon, and the bird one is fine, but they really don’t like the lamb for some reason. The fecal quality always seems good and they have minimal gas events. It also seems like digestion is good. Canidae operates on a high-protein universe and that is the objective they are trying to fulfill. Canidae is good and it smells decent.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello Villery! Thank you for your kind review! We are so happy to hear that your pups are doing great on our Canidae PURE real duck and sweet potato recipe! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I used to sell Canidae Pet Foods and when I bought my little Yorkie Shih Tzu Terrier Mix 10 years ago, we’ve always fed him a higher brand of dog food. He has always been healthy but he just wasn’t eating his last brand that much. So, I told my wife that I was familiar with Canidae and I was just going to get some for the dog to try. The people at the store told me to start mixing it slowly and my dog has been with Canidae for six years. My dog is just 20 pounds and the only one we ever gave him is the All Stages which was the first one they came up with.

Given my experience, I recommend Canidae to anybody all the time. A lot of the people in the neighborhood have mutts and they are not gonna spend that kind of money. They’ll buy the cheapest and generic stuff they can and they always say that their dog eats their poop. I told them that is because the dog is not digesting the food. We talked about it and told them that I’ll give them a little sandwich bag to try if they ever wanna try something.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi Steve! Thank you for your kind and honest review! We are so happy to hear that we came to mind when you were thinking about a high quality and nutritionally dense food to feed your little pup. We are also glad to hear that he is happy and healthy! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Canidae Pet Foods is great. I like to eat good so I like my dogs to eat well too. They like Canidae so I stuck with it. I have a 12-year-old Pit Bull and a 17-year-old Puggle and both are kind of a weird mix. I had my dogs on Orijen before and they didn’t really like it. Canidae is probably their favorite as far as taste. My Pit Bull has been eating good food and he has zero medical problems. He is also playing like a puppy. The Puggle is a bit older and is kinda beat-up though she is still in pretty decent shape. I just want my dogs to be happy and healthy. Canidae is solid and I like the free bag after 12 bags, too.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello Justin! Thank you for your kind and honest review! We are so happy to hear that your pups are happy and healthy while eating Canidae! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Canidae has the salmon and mackerel pure and I have been purchasing from them for four years now. My pet is a boxer that we got from a shelter and she had a lot of problems with her stomach. The biggest thing is that Canidae is what we started her off on and it has been a very good thing so far and it has been consistent. Her health is good and she is a very active dog. I show her in AKC trials and she is very muscled, and her coat is gorgeous. She is living her life to her potential.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hey there Linda! Wow that is amazing to hear! We are so happy to hear that your rescue pup is now happy and healthy, living her best life! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: March 31, 2019

All my dogs have always been rottweilers and I have 3 of them right now. They seem to like Canidae and we've stayed with it. Other foods aren’t appealing to them. They love Canidae and I don’t have to add any kind of softener to the dry food as they like it dry. I've been purchasing Canidae for about 11 years now and I get the All Life Stages. I like the price and the 44-pounder is a good value for the amount of food that comes, especially for the amount of food that I buy a month since I go through it quite a bit. Also, my rottweilers are really fit, in good health, and with good teeth.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello Miguel! We are so happy to hear that your pups are doing GREAT of our All Life Stages formula. Thank you for all your support throughout all these years. If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know at 1-800-398-1600. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I've been purchasing Canidae for six years now. My dog was a German shepherd rescue, and Canidae was what they were feeding him already since shepherds have a sensitive stomach. I normally feed my dog the Grain-Free Fresh Bison. I would swear by Canidae because I’ve had five German shepherds and I never had any serious problems with the dog food.

Hi Steve!

Thank you for your support and kind review! We are so glad to hear that by feeding Canidae, your pups are happy and healthy! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Canidae seems to be a really good brand. I've been purchasing the Canidae pet food for about three years now. My German shorthaired pointer dog digests it well. Canidae contributes to my dog's health in a positive way. It's great dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello Alexander! Thank you for your support and kind review. We are super happy to hear that your pup is enjoying our product and it is keeping him happy and healthy! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: March 28, 2019

When I was looking for a puppy, I was asking about the puppies and dogs, and what kind of food they were feeding. I found that one breeder that I specifically liked uses Canidae. We got our dog in 2004 and we started using it. The dog is a female golden retriever. I had a black Lab guide dog that was using it as well. Then I had a golden Lab cross that was using it, and he was also a guide dog. When we started with Canidae, there was only one time we were using whatever the Original was, then I went to the Life Stages for senior dogs. I find feeding my pets with natural ingredients very important. I was very satisfied with Canidae, but I stopped using it in 2017. I just switched because my second guide dog was having trouble with it. My understanding was the one I was on was for less active dogs. But he is an active dog. Calories and fat are important, and I had no other choices.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi Pamela! Thank you for your support for all these years! We would be happy to help you find a food that your pup would enjoy. Feel free to give us a call so we can help you :)

Original review: March 27, 2019

It’s expensive but it’s great for my dogs coats. I get compliments all the shine. And it’s seems to agree with his digestive tract as well. No messy finishes. I recommend. The product is worth the cost.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 26, 2019

I fed my Shih Tzu- Poodle with Canidae for five years. Compared to other pet food brands, he would eat it. The flavor he was eating has lamb and chicken on it. I tried all their flavors before I got to that one. But he won't eat it anymore since the formula was changed. It tastes like crap now to him and he hates it. He’d rather starve than eat it. They shouldn’t have changed their formula. They did it because they wanted to save money, and they ended up with a crap product.

Hi Mike,

We thank you for your many years of support. We appreciate you and your dog and value your opinions. We are sorry to hear your dog did not like the last bag. We have not had any changes with the Life Stages Multi Protein formula.Please contact us as we would love to discuss this with you and take care of it for you. Thank you!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Canidae was highly recommended by dog trainer and I've been feeding the chicken and rice flavor to a grumpy, crazy 15-year old Chihuahua. I also do the original one. But the lamb flavor did not do well my dogs. With Canidae, my pets are still around. They’re gonna be longer around than I am. I recommended it to a lot of people.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hi Diane! We appreciate your kind review and all your support throughout these years! It is so amazing how a diet can have such a positive affect on a dogs health. If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Original review: March 24, 2019

We adopted a 7 years old, male boxer dog which has had cancer and I wanted to get top quality food. We get him the salmon-grain free from Canidae which has only eight ingredients 'cause it has the nutrients from the fish itself. Sometimes, we get the lamb too. It's extremely important to feed him natural ingredients and I'm assured that he is not getting any by-products that are unhealthy. Even though it's fairly pricey, it's worth the cost. Canidae has benefited him very well. He was very undernourished and his ribs were sticking out. Now, he's a healthy, beautiful, 82 pounds and has a lot of energy. Also, one thing that has impressed me is that I have never heard of a recall on Canidae. I've always recommended them since we started using it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Hello Laurie! Thank you for your kind review and all your support throughout all these years. We definitely appreciate you! If you have any other questions or if we can be of any other assistance to you, feel free to let us know. Thank you again and have a great day.

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information