4.62/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Canidae Pet Foods Video
Canidae Pet Foods Gallery (6)
View More View More

1694 Canidae Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 11, 2019

My dogs seem to like Canidae. It is a high-end food, and the price is a little high. I have one of my other dogs on another brand that is as high-quality, and I mix it with Canidae. My other dog, Wrigley, has allergies so she is on a strict Canidae diet. He used to eat Pinnacle Trout & Sweet Potato, and they went to the complete west coast strictly. So, they don't deliver up here anymore. I got forced to switch to another food and Canidae was the closest ingredient to that with everything that my dog needed. If Canidae wasn’t so expensive, I would buy more of it. But if it ends up going up any higher, then I’m gonna look at another brand.

I put my dog food in a bin, and you can definitely see the difference between the two dog foods. Wrigley’s bin is not greasy, but the other bin is greasy. One thing that I don't like about Canidae is that because it is so pure, a couple times I’ve gotten bags of food and opened them up, it was all powder. It must have been the bag on the bottom and it gets crushed. The community store also said that there’s nothing in it to preserve this type of things to keep it from not doing that. But they did reimburse and we brought back the food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Jen! We appreciate you and your dogs support and are happy to hear how well CANIDAE has been for your dog with allergies. We sent you a PM with some cost saving options. If ever you have any questions please reach out to us.

Thanks again!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was at a function in the States and I was talking to different breeders. At the time, I had a border collie and I wanted to know what to do in general, especially since back then, I didn't have access to the internet. I spoke to a breeder who was telling me that if I could get Canidae in Canada, I should get it. Or I should go out of my way to get it. And when I did, I noticed a difference in the coat of the border collie and in its eyes. I also saw the difference in its health and everything in the general within six weeks.

I love Canidae. For the last 14 years, I've been buying the All Stages product and I am really happy because I noticed a difference in all of my dogs. I used to give it to two of my dogs and they lived for 16 and 14 years with no problems. Their coats were shiny and their health were tremendous. They also had no problems with crystal in the kidneys. Now I'm down to one dog and I also give her Canidae. I'm not a chemist or a biologist, but from her the gloss of her coat, the nails, and the eyes, I would recommend that product to anybody. In fact, I have recommended it to other people. My dog is beautiful and I love her. And she's getting the best that I can find.

So I didn't wanna take her off of Canidae. And the few times that I had to, I noticed a difference. I know you always have to change the food gradually or mix it in if you're doing a transition and that's what happened this time in January. I couldn't get Canidae anymore and I was in a panic because our local suppliers stopped making it available. I'm in Canada and even though I'm close to Detroit, they wouldn't let me bring it over the border if I purchased it. So, I had to switch my dog over to what they recommended as a comparable dog food from Pet Value. Still, she was not the same and I wasn't happy. But this week I was able to get a hold of Canidae as I found one place in the county that still carries it. And I make a 30-mile drive to get it, so I bought two big bags.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many many years dedication and support Denise! We greatly appreciate both you and your dogs and thank you for taking the time to leave your wonderful review. We are happy that your dogs have done so well with CANIDAE for the past 14 years. Thank you again!

If there are any questions please contact us

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Canidae has better ingredients and we used it for about 5 years for our cat and dog. Our eight-year-old male cat liked the Canidae but he was finicky. When the cat food got old, he didn't finish eating what was in his bowl. I would have to dump that out and put fresh food in and then put the older stuff back on top so he’d eat that and it won’t go rancid. I had to do that with the dog food too. The big bag fills 2 food grade containers and by the time we got to halfway through the second pail, the food would be rancid. We could smell it. Our 13-year-old dog won’t eat it too.

We used to buy the chicken flavored ones and we like that the idea that Canidae had three to one ratio between fat and carbs. If it's less than that, then that’s what fattens pigs. The dog was overweight and used to stink when we first got him. He became very active when he was here with us and he slimmed right down just by giving him Canidae dog food. Even though we gave him more than what he was supposed to be eating, he still slimmed down. Also, he had the right calcium and the things that he needed from the dog food so the odor went away.

We liked the dog food but we got so tired of having to throw some out because it would always go rancid on us. We stopped feeding Canidae to our pets 8 months ago even though they are not really fond of what we've got right now and our dog is having a problem chewing. He’s a Blue Heeler and they’re cattle dogs that like to chase the horses. Sometimes, he gets kicked in the mouth by the horses if he doesn’t watch what he’s doing. His teeth are getting real sensitive, so I've been adding water to the dog food to make it softer. But he really doesn’t like it. He really didn’t like that dog food in the first place but at least it wasn’t rancid.

During the summer, we would buy smaller bags, but then we would be in the grocery store all the time buying the smaller bags. A couple of stores close by just have the bigger ones. To get a smaller bag, we had to go way down to Eau Claire that is 40 miles away. I wish Canidae would have a softer dog food too for dogs that can’t chew the hard stuff. My husband reads a lot of labels and he says that Canidae is about the best that we can come across.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My girlfriend had cancer and was in the hospital for six months. When she got out, she started researching all the dog foods. She would buy it and then distribute it to all of us out here on the farm. So, I've been doing it for 20 years. One of my Border Collies had a bunch of joint swelling. I was feeding him dog food that wasn’t labeled and I was gonna slowly switch her over to mine but she ended up being allergic to potatoes. She could have sweet potatoes but no grain and no potatoes. So, I started researching the no-grain stuff. I just found out that Canidae was going grain-free, so that was neat, because I've got a couple of Border Collies that are really sensitive. Our pets are more sensitive than humans.

A next door neighbor raises German Shepherds and we did a supplement at the same time that I tried the new grain-free. So, between the two of them, it has really helped because the one that had all the problems with his joints is back to normal now. These Border Collies are the pickiest eaters in the whole wide world and when Canidae gave me samples of the dry raw, I just put it on my hand to see which ones would eat it and which ones wouldn't. Every single one of them ate it, so I was pretty excited about that.

I tell everybody that I've only had one dog in my whole life that has ever had cancer but I've never had a dog that was fed Canidae that had cancer. I do a lot of babysitting for my friends’ dogs and I warned everybody that I’m feeding Canidae to my dogs and not to bring theirs. I had Junction City order me Canidae and now, their supplier is starting to stock it. I educated them about it and that’s all I tell people to feed. Canidae is all I ever believe in.

Diane,
Thank you so much for a wonderful review. We are so happy we were able to provide you with a good healthy nutritious food for your dogs and that you have seen such improvement since you started. We are very happy to hear how well your picky border collies loved our new Raw Coated Grain Free PURE Ancestral line as well. We are thankful and appreciate you and your dogs. Thank you again.

If ever any questions please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My cats started throwing up with Blue Buffalo and I heard that they changed their recipe. Somebody bought them out and it wasn’t quite as good so I tried Canidae and the cats love it. I have small and large 22 cats that I’m feeding and I’ve been buying it for eight years. I like it and it’s good for the cats and their coats are so good and great. I do it because I want them to be healthy so that I don’t have that cost in the long run.

I get the other products too but I get Life Stages more since it’s a little cheaper and it does better for them. I get the canned food when I can. I can mix the no-grain with it, but I’ve had problems with diarrhea and stuff with those kitties. If I change them to even another one of the Canidae brand, it can trigger it. So I just put in a little bit in there and mix it up. I have a couple of cats that have rather sensitive stomachs where they throw up. The dogs are usually okay and they are all doing really well. I had Blackie, she was a lab and she was put to sleep at 18.

The cats’ coats are beautiful especially if I start them young. Bobby is not a nice-looking tabby and the vet was walking past and he said, “Wow, what a beautiful cat.” Stretch, the latest one who is almost two years, is also getting a wonderful coat like Bobby. It really does make a difference and all my cats have really nice fur. I spayed and neutered my eight feral cats and I make sure that they get the good food because I don’t want the boys’ urinary tracts plugging up and I can’t afford to get them all that wet. I use Canidae a lot and so, I want to know how I can go directly to them and save some money. I do the “Every 12 bags, I get a bag free.” That’s really important for somebody who’s buying so much like me so Canidae should not stop doing that one. If they can send me anything and they wanna use me in any kind of commercial, if they wanna pay me or give me free food, that would be great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2019

Canidae was our choice for our dogs for at least 15 years. They were athletes, trim, energetic, and had beautiful coats. This past winter both our current dogs got sick, one with bloody stools and the other puking up his Canidae within minutes of eating it. The bag of food smelled rancid when that happened, but the problem continued with subsequent, better smelling bags. We had to feed them cottage cheese and rice to get them feeling better, then retried easing them onto the Lamb and Rice formula. They became sick again, and my Great Dane mix had to have a trip to the vet because he was refusing his food, trembling, and lethargic. Vet could find no disease in him. Switched off to a different food, and he went back to normal. I don't think his coat is as nice as it was on the OLD Canidae formula, but I'm not going to kill my dog for the sake of a shiny coat.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are very sorry to hear that your dogs have not felt well and glad to hear they are doing better. We are committed to excellence and providing our customers' pet's with superior quality nutrition. We urge our customers to contact us anytime there is ever any questions or concerns. We value you and your dogs and thank you for your past 15 years of support and have sent you a private message to see if we can assist you with a different formula.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Canidae was recommended to me by the guy that I buy my dog food from. However, I’m thinking about changing because it’s rather expensive. I have four German shepherd dogs, so I go through a lot of food. I went with the pumpkin because my dogs came with upset stomachs, and I’ve been stuck with it. Overall I like their product and recommend it to quite a few other people. It’s good quality and it gives my dogs what they need. Their coats are shiny, their teeth are clean, they have lots of energy and they appear healthy and happy.

Original review: July 8, 2019

We have a mix breed dog, a good part Wheaten Terrier who is 16 years old and she’s not in great health right now. She’s having trouble but she has been on Canidae for so long and she has made it this far. It’s important that we feed her natural ingredients and we have been buying Canidae for about seven years.

Thanks Tom!

We appreciate your loyalty and send lots of healing energy to your Wheaten Terrier.

Your friends at CANIDAE.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I've been purchasing Canidae for about five years. They offer pet food for all ages. At the time I started using it, I had a senior pet and a puppy. They offered food for all of them and I didn’t have to keep buying separate foods. Also, it's very valuable to feed them natural ingredients. Canidae has really good customer service, as well. If I need coupons, they would send them for free. I also like the rewards program because I can get a free bag. I get one at least once a year.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 5-year old Rottweiler Canidae since he’d been born. I did a little bit of research on it, and that’s what I came up with. I've been buying All Life Stages and I could stay right with that same product all the way.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I did a lot of online research about different dog foods and Canidae looked to be good food. I used it for several months and had no problems with it. The only reason I'm not on it now is one of the dogs has innumerable allergies that need to be addressed and Canidae didn’t satisfy what his needs were. The ingredients in the food had too many, in his case, objectionable ingredients and we couldn’t continue.

Original review: June 29, 2019

My boyfriend's mother used to buy Canidae a lot and I just stuck with it. I've been using it for a while. I have12-year-old Chihuahuas and I have an almost three-year-old English mastiff. I use the All Stage and I can buy like a 44 bag between the three of them. I go about two weeks before I have to buy another bag. Canidae food seems to fill them up better so they don't eat as much. I feed my mastiff twice a day. I fill up her bowl with two scoops and it seems to last her quite a while. Also, I like feeding them natural ingredients. My Chihuahuas are lasting a long time and my mastiff seems to be growing and keeping her weight to where it's pretty good and healthy. I've been satisfied and I always tell everybody to buy Canidae.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I've been using Canidae grain-free for 3 years both the dry food with a couple tablespoons of the Canidae wet food. My black lab is healthy, strong and he loves it. His coat is beautiful. Our vet is against us giving him grain-free food so we are in the process of switching to one that's not. I will not switch from Canidae because it's such a good product. I'm thankful they have other options for us.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Kristine for your support, dedication and taking the time to leave such a wonderful review. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions or if we can help you choose a different formula. Thanks again!

Original review: June 25, 2019

Canidae is like human grade and it tastes human grade too. The dog really likes it. She is a Cavalier King Charles. She’s eight and when we got her, she was six. She has four teeth which is the other reason we got this food because it’s soft. It’s hard for her to eat the crunchier stuff. Canidae contributes to my pet's well-being pretty well. She's healthy.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support and for your feedback. Positive comments are meaningful to us in so many ways! We'd love it if you shared a picture of your pet(s) with us. Please visit our website page to share your story: https://www.canidae.com/submit-your-canidae-story/

Original review: June 24, 2019

I have a yellow Labrador and since he was a puppy, he has only had the Canidae chicken and rice. I went to my local pet store and I talked with them. They were the ones who recommended it so, I trusted them. Canidae was the most traditional, and chicken and rice seemed like it was easy. I just took that one flavor, and I have not strayed from it. I’ve been purchasing Canidae for six years and we’ve had no issues. At our local store, if we buy 12 bags, there’s a bag free and I like that. It keeps me coming back because I wanna make sure I get my free bag.

I would hear about fillers and all the other byproducts that they put into dog food. Since I haven’t tried any of those, I’m fearful that if I do, it would upset my dog’s stomach. Canidae contributes to my pet’s consistent health. Since I don't switch anything and stay on that brand, he’s a healthy dog. He never had to go to the emergency room and anything that he ever had to go to a doctor for was nothing to do with eating his food. I would recommend Canidae Pet Foods to a friend.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I went to a website that graded food products and Canidae was graded really high there. In fact, it was the highest grade product that was available. I've been using it since 2012 for my standard poodle and it's all he's ever eaten. So, he's been an overall healthy dog. I’ve also recommended Canidae to others.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you and your Standard Poodle for your many years of support and recommendations to others as well. We greatly appreciate both you and your sweet boy. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 20, 2019

I went to my store and we had a discussion about nutrition for food. Canidae came up and I've been buying it for at least five years. It was for my dog. But he's no longer with us. I kept the same food because the dog we have now is very healthy on it. Micky is a 19-pound poodle. He was a rescue and he’s great. He's 13 years of age. I buy the Canidae with salmon because I like salmon and it is good for you. It is extremely valuable to feed my dog natural ingredients. The only problem with Canidae was they had a problem with the cans and they couldn't stock it for a while.

Hi Virginia,

We thank you for your many years of support and are so glad that Micky loves his PURE Salmon formula. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have a German Shepherd to whom I've been feeding Canidae ALS pet food. He is more inclined to it now and it beats the alternative of doing not natural. All the different dogs that I’ve had all seem to enjoy it. Plus, my dogs haven’t had any ill effects from Canidae food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Joe! We appreciate you and your GSD support and that all the different dogs you have had enjoyed it as well. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 18, 2019

After talking to a lot of people and vets and having a bad experience with other food, like very ill dogs I decided to get Canidae for my dogs. I have a black lab kind of maybe collie mix, and a yorkie-chihuahua mix who are 11 years old. Originally, they were on the regular variant, and then I put them on the food for less active dogs because they were getting a little fat, being old and not doing much. But they are healthy now and lost weight. The illness stopped immediately after I start feeding them Canidae. I recommend it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We appreciate you and your dogs support and are very happy to hear how well they both have done on their CANIDAE Multi Protein and the CANIDAE Less Active formula.Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 9, 2019

It's very important for us to be feeding our pets natural ingredients. When we decided to go to dry food, we had a couple of dogs at the time. Canidae was for all stages of life so we picked that. It had ingredients like chicken. We've been using the brand for 10 years now. We had a Boston Jack Russell but it passed away last year. We had a 13-year-old dog too. The Boston Terrier is what we have now and Canidae keeps his weight normal.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 8, 2019

I have two German shorthairs and a German longhair and I've been feeding them Canidae. While I'd rather feed them raw food, we do this instead and they've gained a bit of weight. Canidae has been satisfactory overall.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are glad to hear how well CANIDAE has been for your dogs. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 7, 2019

We've been purchasing Canidae for our pets for 13 years now. We have two 80-pound plus dogs and they both have long lives so far. I'd recommend Canidae.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We have a Terrier and a Mini Dachshund. We tried another brand for a while, but one of the dogs didn’t take it well. We wound up switching and came to Canidae Pet Foods. We use the multi-protein formula - the chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish. The dogs liked that flavor better than all the other ones. We've been using them for about a year and find feeding our pets with natural ingredients to be very valuable.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We thank you and your dogs for your support Michelle and for taking the time to leave your rating and review. We are glad that they love the Life Stages Multi Protein formula. Thank you again! Any questions please feel free to reach out to us

Original review: June 3, 2019

I got interested in finding dog food with less additives and grain-free dog food when I had a miniature schnauzer named Huckleberry Finn that lost a battle with diabetes. Canidae had a lot of available products to help with senior dogs and healthy living dogs. I went with them and the food helped my dog. However, Huckleberry Finn could not get his sugar stabilized.

Apart from him, I also have a 16-year-old rat terrier, Tom Sawyer, who is a less active senior dog. Canidae has really good doses of glucosamine for his joints and arthritis. Changing his diet has allowed him to have a healthy life in his golden years. He still gets up every morning and wants to go on a walk. And every evening he wants to go on a walk too. We’re slowing down but he still wants to go and he’s able to make a 10-minute walk. I get my Canidae from Pet Supplies Plus, and they have a program through which after I get 12 bags, I get the 13th free. I really like that. Initially, I used the All Ages Dog Food variant and now I've been purchasing the Less Active Senior Dog Food. Overall, Canidae has really helped my senior dog have a very good life.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Starting off with Canidae has saved me from hopping around with various other brands. I picked the right one from the beginning and I never had any reason to change. My Labrador Retriever has been on the regular All Stages for nine years and has always been very healthy. Except for immunizations once a year, she has had no other trips to the vet. She doesn't have any allergies either.

Original review: June 1, 2019

We have two Lab mixes, one is brown and the other one is black. One of them is almost 17 and he has food sensitivity issues. She couldn't hold down most other brands as she would throw up. Canidae is one of the only foods she can eat, and so it’s a big deal. We needed to go with something that was grain-free, and so we identified a couple of different things and tried them out. We settled on PURE Sky, and that became the one we were using and worked well for her. It also keeps her lean. She doesn’t get overweight. She’s not getting a whole bunch of extra filler, and her hair is healthy.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I have a Great Dane bloodhound mix, and one of the salespeople in the store where I was buying the food that I used to feed her thought that Canidae was a better quality product. I stuck with the grain-free Canidae and my dog loves it. I've gone through different flavor options with her and she's liked them all. When I was using the Taste of the Wild, my mother's dog would come and visit, and didn't have any interest in eating it. Now that I've switched to Canidae, her dog loves the food.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have Small Munsterlanders, one is 15 and the other is 4, and the vet recommended Canidae when our dog was just a pup. When our old guy was young, he was very temperamental to what he would eat. He would get sick or loose stool and Canidae seems to work. I buy the All Stages brand style normally. I've been doing it for 15 years and I don't even think about it. It's just what I buy. But they changed the bag that it comes in. This new plastic stuff is kinda hard to open. Also, there was a UPC that has to be cut off and after you save like 12 of them, you would get a free bag but it's not like that anymore. Other than that, Canidae is what the dogs are used to and I have no complaints about Canidae.

Original review: May 28, 2019

A friend worked at a place that sold Canidae Pet Foods and recommended it to me. I liked how it wasn't a bunch of garbage like corn and stuff that dogs shouldn't eat. I tried it out and it has been great. My mutts have nice shiny fur and they love eating it. I also like that they give me a bag free after I buy so many bags.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I had two little Shih Tzus and Canidae was the main food I used all the time. Both of them lived on it for 15 years before they passed. So I feel the food is excellent because that helped keep them healthy. I also liked their coupon where if I got however many little emblems then I got a free bag. Canidae is a little bit more expensive but as long as I got a free bag, I always kind of floated out of the store thinking it was quite a gift. I used to very much like the pet store in Kalamazoo. They were always very friendly to me when I would go there and buy the food. But I live outside of Kalamazoo now so that was rather difficult. Not every place sells Canidae. I’ve recently changed but I would still use it occasionally. It just depends if I’m in Kalamazoo. I got new pets now, a Havanese and a Shih Tzu, and they are roughly three years old. I keep their food mixed on purpose because I know you’re not supposed to change their food from one to the other.

Canidae Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Canidae is a premium dog food company, offering a variety of flavors and types of food to dogs throughout the United States.

• Grain-free foods: If your dog has a grain allergy or you would prefer to give him a natural diet, you can purchase grain-free foods here.

• Fresh meat and vegetables: These foods contain a blend of meat and vegetables providing your dog with optimal health.

• Made for pets in all stages of life: From puppy to senior, you'll be able to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs.

• Variety of flavors: Canidae offers unique flavors such as duck and bison as well as standard sources of protein like chicken or lamb.

• Quality control measures: All products go through rigorous quality control assessments such as testing ingredients before using them, testing the quality throughout the food preparation process and doing safety checks prior to releasing the food for sale.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information