2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

4.0/5 (676 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Canidae Pet Foods

CANIDAE is pet food made by pet people. We use the same ingredients we want for our own pets to make our foods. From working hard to form relationships with the farmers and ranchers that supply ingredients, to opening our own facility to cook the food—we’re dedicated to providing the best nutrition possible for the beloved dogs and cats that enrich our lives in so many ways. Sensitivities, picky dogs, multi-pet households, or healthy food on a budget, CANIDAE has your solution!

Pros

• High-protein formulas
  • Grain-free options
  • Meat or fish as first ingredients

Cons

• Pricey
  • Few sensitive diet options

Bottom Line

Candidae pet foods feature hearty animal protein for dogs and cats. Products are easy to find, and some retailers offer frequent-buyer rewards programs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Canidae Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canidae Pet Foods?

Original review: June 20, 2019

I went to my store and we had a discussion about nutrition for food. Canidae came up and I've been buying it for at least five years. It was for my dog. But he's no longer with us. I kept the same food because the dog we have now is very healthy on it. Micky is a 19-pound poodle. He was a rescue and he’s great. He's 13 years of age. I buy the Canidae with salmon because I like salmon and it is good for you. It is extremely valuable to feed my dog natural ingredients. The only problem with Canidae was they had a problem with the cans and they couldn't stock it for a while.

Hi Virginia,

We thank you for your many years of support and are so glad that Micky loves his PURE Salmon formula. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have a German Shepherd to whom I've been feeding Canidae ALS pet food. He is more inclined to it now and it beats the alternative of doing not natural. All the different dogs that I’ve had all seem to enjoy it. Plus, my dogs haven’t had any ill effects from Canidae food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Joe! We appreciate you and your GSD support and that all the different dogs you have had enjoyed it as well. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 18, 2019

After talking to a lot of people and vets and having a bad experience with other food, like very ill dogs I decided to get Canidae for my dogs. I have a black lab kind of maybe collie mix, and a yorkie-chihuahua mix who are 11 years old. Originally, they were on the regular variant, and then I put them on the food for less active dogs because they were getting a little fat, being old and not doing much. But they are healthy now and lost weight. The illness stopped immediately after I start feeding them Canidae. I recommend it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We appreciate you and your dogs support and are very happy to hear how well they both have done on their CANIDAE Multi Protein and the CANIDAE Less Active formula.Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 9, 2019

It's very important for us to be feeding our pets natural ingredients. When we decided to go to dry food, we had a couple of dogs at the time. Canidae was for all stages of life so we picked that. It had ingredients like chicken. We've been using the brand for 10 years now. We had a Boston Jack Russell but it passed away last year. We had a 13-year-old dog too. The Boston Terrier is what we have now and Canidae keeps his weight normal.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I have two German shorthairs and a German longhair and I've been feeding them Canidae. While I'd rather feed them raw food, we do this instead and they've gained a bit of weight. Canidae has been satisfactory overall.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We are glad to hear how well CANIDAE has been for your dogs. Please contact us at 800-398-1600 ext 0 or support@canidae.com if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Original review: June 7, 2019

We've been purchasing Canidae for our pets for 13 years now. We have two 80-pound plus dogs and they both have long lives so far. I'd recommend Canidae.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We have a Terrier and a Mini Dachshund. We tried another brand for a while, but one of the dogs didn’t take it well. We wound up switching and came to Canidae Pet Foods. We use the multi-protein formula - the chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish. The dogs liked that flavor better than all the other ones. We've been using them for about a year and find feeding our pets with natural ingredients to be very valuable.

Canidae Pet Foods response

We thank you and your dogs for your support Michelle and for taking the time to leave your rating and review. We are glad that they love the Life Stages Multi Protein formula. Thank you again! Any questions please feel free to reach out to us

Original review: June 3, 2019

I got interested in finding dog food with less additives and grain-free dog food when I had a miniature schnauzer named Huckleberry Finn that lost a battle with diabetes. Canidae had a lot of available products to help with senior dogs and healthy living dogs. I went with them and the food helped my dog. However, Huckleberry Finn could not get his sugar stabilized.

Apart from him, I also have a 16-year-old rat terrier, Tom Sawyer, who is a less active senior dog. Canidae has really good doses of glucosamine for his joints and arthritis. Changing his diet has allowed him to have a healthy life in his golden years. He still gets up every morning and wants to go on a walk. And every evening he wants to go on a walk too. We’re slowing down but he still wants to go and he’s able to make a 10-minute walk. I get my Canidae from Pet Supplies Plus, and they have a program through which after I get 12 bags, I get the 13th free. I really like that. Initially, I used the All Ages Dog Food variant and now I've been purchasing the Less Active Senior Dog Food. Overall, Canidae has really helped my senior dog have a very good life.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Starting off with Canidae has saved me from hopping around with various other brands. I picked the right one from the beginning and I never had any reason to change. My Labrador Retriever has been on the regular All Stages for nine years and has always been very healthy. Except for immunizations once a year, she has had no other trips to the vet. She doesn't have any allergies either.

Original review: June 1, 2019

We have two Lab mixes, one is brown and the other one is black. One of them is almost 17 and he has food sensitivity issues. She couldn't hold down most other brands as she would throw up. Canidae is one of the only foods she can eat, and so it’s a big deal. We needed to go with something that was grain-free, and so we identified a couple of different things and tried them out. We settled on PURE Sky, and that became the one we were using and worked well for her. It also keeps her lean. She doesn’t get overweight. She’s not getting a whole bunch of extra filler, and her hair is healthy.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I have a Great Dane bloodhound mix, and one of the salespeople in the store where I was buying the food that I used to feed her thought that Canidae was a better quality product. I stuck with the grain-free Canidae and my dog loves it. I've gone through different flavor options with her and she's liked them all. When I was using the Taste of the Wild, my mother's dog would come and visit, and didn't have any interest in eating it. Now that I've switched to Canidae, her dog loves the food.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have Small Munsterlanders, one is 15 and the other is 4, and the vet recommended Canidae when our dog was just a pup. When our old guy was young, he was very temperamental to what he would eat. He would get sick or loose stool and Canidae seems to work. I buy the All Stages brand style normally. I've been doing it for 15 years and I don't even think about it. It's just what I buy. But they changed the bag that it comes in. This new plastic stuff is kinda hard to open. Also, there was a UPC that has to be cut off and after you save like 12 of them, you would get a free bag but it's not like that anymore. Other than that, Canidae is what the dogs are used to and I have no complaints about Canidae.

Original review: May 28, 2019

A friend worked at a place that sold Canidae Pet Foods and recommended it to me. I liked how it wasn't a bunch of garbage like corn and stuff that dogs shouldn't eat. I tried it out and it has been great. My mutts have nice shiny fur and they love eating it. I also like that they give me a bag free after I buy so many bags.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I had two little Shih Tzus and Canidae was the main food I used all the time. Both of them lived on it for 15 years before they passed. So I feel the food is excellent because that helped keep them healthy. I also liked their coupon where if I got however many little emblems then I got a free bag. Canidae is a little bit more expensive but as long as I got a free bag, I always kind of floated out of the store thinking it was quite a gift. I used to very much like the pet store in Kalamazoo. They were always very friendly to me when I would go there and buy the food. But I live outside of Kalamazoo now so that was rather difficult. Not every place sells Canidae. I’ve recently changed but I would still use it occasionally. It just depends if I’m in Kalamazoo. I got new pets now, a Havanese and a Shih Tzu, and they are roughly three years old. I keep their food mixed on purpose because I know you’re not supposed to change their food from one to the other.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I trusted that the breeder was using a good food and since the puppy was already eating Canidae, I didn't want to give my dog grocery store feed stuff. I’ve recommended Canidae as well and I like that the food was the All Life Stages. When I got my last puppy, the vet recommended giving adult food because puppy food makes their limbs grow too fast. Sometimes, that can cause problems when they get older. It can lead to arthritis. I have a Golden Retriever so I like the All Life Stages part about Canidae too because I assumed, and I think rightfully so, that it wasn’t gonna make him grow too fast but was gonna give him everything he needed as a puppy.

Stanley is seven now and we did switch to the Platinum at one point because we were concerned about his weight, and that has maintained his weight just fine. So I think it’s a good product. It's excellent to feed your pet natural ingredients and that’s why Canidae is a more expensive brand but you get what you pay for and I don’t mind that at all.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Canidae gets good reviews and ratings among dog food companies, which is how we started using it. The dogs enjoyed it and they seemed like they were healthy.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I’ve been feeding Canidae to my dogs for 15 years. I’ve got pure-bred Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They get a combination of kibble and raw fat. Half their calories come from kibble, half come from raw fat. My goal for feeding my dogs is high protein, high fat because they’re athletes. They race, they lure course, we show. So I want extremely fit dogs. I recommend Canidae all the time.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I started researching different grain-free food for my dog, and I thought that Canidae had the best ingredients. We've been using them for about 2 years now. We have a German Shepherd and he likes Canidae. We switch between three different flavors of food, so I don’t think he gets bored. He eats it. We purchase through Amazon and we do the Subscribe & Save so we get a little bit of a discount. We also save some fees and turn them in for a rebate every once in a while. I really appreciate that if we buy 12 bags, we get the 13th free. For being such a good quality dog food, I appreciate that they give us that little coupon also.

Original review: May 21, 2019

My dog liked Canidae. I had been purchasing it for a couple of years because I had to keep her on a special diet. She used to eat regular, old dog food from the grocery store, but then she became sensitive. She couldn’t have any dog food that had any dyes or grains.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you and your sweet girl for your support Carol. We are glad that CANIDAE has been so good for her sensitivities. Any questions please feel free to contact us.

Thanks again!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Ever since our dog was 3 months old, we used Canidae. We gave him some several choices and that’s what he went with. He’s a real tiny Pom. He weighs eight pounds. He was doing the All Stage, the hard, and then he went to the Senior, and then about two and a half years ago, he got to where he wasn’t eating it. So, we had to mix some wet food with it, and then he got to where he wasn’t eating it again. So, I’d taken him completely off of Canidae.

It is a good dog food, he just stopped eating it. He has problems chewing hard food. He can hardly chew hard food. I had to break it up in really tiny pieces for him to eat it. I could’ve given him the canned soft food, but he had to use it within three days and for what I was giving him, I was throwing more away than I was using. If Canidae was to make a smaller can, I would’ve still had him on the wet food. But I couldn’t afford to buy a can and have to throw half of it away. Their price was getting a little expensive. But I would recommend Canidae to anybody. It is one of the top 5 dog food.

Original review: May 16, 2019

A buddy of mine had a mom-and-pop type business as opposed to Petco’s and he had people that were educated on the products. He didn’t carry any of the garbage foods and educated me on what was good and bad, and the differences. IAMS was the gold standard but now, they changed all their innards. Then, Wilderness is good, the Buffalo and all those. I tried them but they either irritated my dogs’ skin or gave diarrhea. I always had two or three dogs at a time. So, a it's trial and error and just sticking with the top premium dog food.

Canidae has always been solid for me. I feed it to a Chihuahua, a Pug and a Brittany Spaniel. They don’t throw up and they don’t have diarrhea. They’re not overweight but they over ate. So, it has contributed in the factor of a healthy lifestyle. I usually get the yellow bag, which is the chicken, mostly because that’s the one that’s mostly in stock at stores in bigger bags. So, I just stuck with it but I switch that every once in a while. I wouldn’t change even on times where I might have a lesser paycheck or struggle. The pet is a member of the family so, So, I’m not gonna go and get a $12 bag of whatever from Stop & Shop because I can’t or because I’m a little tight on cash so it’d be something else. Canidae is affordable, accessible and problem-free.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Jason! We are happy to hear that CANIDAE has always been so good for you. We appreciate you and your dogs support and we thank you both for your support. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I raise Great Danes and have seven of them. I was looking for a food that fits their needs which was a lower protein and the fat count. I had always recommended Canidae to those people leaving with my puppies. I always gave them a serving to take with them, and then I keep in touch. A lot of them used other dog foods and they're not as great as the Canidae. I enjoyed being part of Canidae's breeding program, but I stopped breeding. I would have loved to continue with them as a consumer with my dogs, but the price keeps going up and I just couldn’t do it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Scih for your many years of support. We are glad that CANIDAE was your choice for your breeding program. WE have sent you a private message to go over some price saving options. We appreciate you and your fogs support. Thanks again!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have a little Papillon and the cat is a domestic Shorthair. Canidae has been so great for both of them. Each of my pets are 12 and they’re ancient. They’re little geriatrics and they had upset stomachs with all the other brands. So, we switched over to Canidae and they’ve not had any of the stomach upsets. Canidae uses fresh ingredients and not a lot of grains. We wanted the best for the animals and feeding them natural ingredients are important. I only eat good food so they should eat good food. I’m not gonna have a bunch of trash in my cat food and dog food, because that’s gonna cost more vet bills. They get kidney infections and urinary tract infections, and it’s not like they get good insurance or anything if they have preexisting condition, which is ridiculous. Canidae has kept my pets young. It has contributed quite a bit.

Canidae has educated all the checkout people at PetSmart. So, they’re very passionate about the food as well, and that has been really neat. I get “thank-yous” from the checkout because they are thankful that I’m buying the food so that I care about my pet. They know more about it than I do and they are telling me more information every time I walk in the door. So, that’s cool. We recommend Canidae whenever we have friends over.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Colleen for your support and for taking the time to leave your rating and review. We appreciate you and your pets support and are very happy that CANIDAE has been such a big part in keeping them healthy. If you ever have any questions please reach out to us. Thanks again!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I used Canidae years ago. But I put my dogs on something else and then they stopped making the products. So I went back to Canidae All Life Stages. My dogs eat it, and they don’t turn their nose to it. The price is pretty good for a pound on average when you break it down. The packaging looks pretty good. I work at a feed store, and people like Canidae and they buy it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Rick! We appreciate you and your dogs support. If you ever have any questions or if we can provide any assistance for you or your customers please let us know. We can be reached via phone or email.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Canidae is very highly recommended and I use it on my cats. She is a very picky cat. So, it is good that she likes it because it is hard to find her food. We also used the puppy food for my puppy when he was new. It did great when he was on it. It makes their fur very nice and their skin great. Canidae is a very good food overall. The formula is great. It has healthy grains and I love all the different products that Canidae have. But I wish their packaging had a seal or a Velcro seal so you could just reseal it.

Original review: May 11, 2019

My dogs seem to like Canidae. It is a high-end food, and the price is a little high. I have one of my other dogs on another brand that is as high-quality, and I mix it with Canidae. My other dog, Wrigley, has allergies so she is on a strict Canidae diet. He used to eat Pinnacle Trout & Sweet Potato, and they went to the complete west coast strictly. So, they don't deliver up here anymore. I got forced to switch to another food and Canidae was the closest ingredient to that with everything that my dog needed. If Canidae wasn’t so expensive, I would buy more of it. But if it ends up going up any higher, then I’m gonna look at another brand.

I put my dog food in a bin, and you can definitely see the difference between the two dog foods. Wrigley’s bin is not greasy, but the other bin is greasy. One thing that I don't like about Canidae is that because it is so pure, a couple times I’ve gotten bags of food and opened them up, it was all powder. It must have been the bag on the bottom and it gets crushed. The community store also said that there’s nothing in it to preserve this type of things to keep it from not doing that. But they did reimburse and we brought back the food.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you Jen! We appreciate you and your dogs support and are happy to hear how well CANIDAE has been for your dog with allergies. We sent you a PM with some cost saving options. If ever you have any questions please reach out to us.

Thanks again!

Original review: May 10, 2019

We’ve been very happy with Canidae. We use the grain-free for our dog. We spoil him by doing a combination of three formulas. I don’t have a great storage space for lots of food for the big, weight bags. So the four or five-pound bag works good for me, especially when I’m using three different kinds.

Original review: May 7, 2019

We suddenly adopted a dog and didn’t have much experience. Canidae was the pet food brand that my son was using, so I thought if it's good for his dog, it ought to be good for ours. I've purchased Canidae for a couple of years, and I've fed Life Stages to my female Pit Bull. It was decent food for the dog. The dog liked it okay and seemed healthy enough with it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support William. We are glad that CANIDAE has been good for your girl. If there are any questions please feel free to reach out to us.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I liked how Canidae was reported in the reviews of how healthy it was and I've had Canidae for my dog for 15 years. We had several Chinooks, which are huge sled dogs that look like golden German Shepherd. Also, we've always had Westies and a German Shepherd and now, we have a Westie and a Flat-coat. I use the All Life Stages Premium since my dogs are now nine and eleven and they’re getting older. It seems to work the best. They’re not as active as they used to be but they look and act great. The vets always rant about how healthy they are and they have always told me that Canidae was a great product. We've had such good luck that we would never change unless Canidae changes their product and cheapens it up. I have recommended it many times.

Canidae Pet Foods response
Thank you for your many years of support Elaine. We appreciate you and your dogs and thank you for taking the time to leave your rating and review. We are so glad that CANIDAE has been so good for your dogs for 15 years. Thanks again!

If you ever have any questions please contact us.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I've been purchasing Canidae for my two chocolate Labs for about three and a half years now. When we got our dogs, that's what the breeder had set them and we just never switched them off of it. We've had pretty good luck with it and haven't had any problems aside from getting kinda tired of it.

Canidae Pet Foods response

Thank you for your support. We are happy to hear you are happy with the CANIDAE your breeder recommended. We also have other formulas available. If interested please contact us and we will be happy to assist you in choosing another formula for your Labs to try. Thanks again!

Canidae Pet Foods Company Information