4.29/5
  • 1 star
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

California Natural Dog Food

California Natural was expertly formulated to satisfy your toughest canine requirements. Our ingredients consist of vitamins and nutrients such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids that help keep your furry friends coat and skin healthy.

We know that your furry friend is important to your family so our ingredients are wholesome and contain no additives or artificial preservatives. Our kibble caters to all ages, sizes and activity levels and even offers a variety of flavors, such as chicken or lamb, to satisfy your pup’s diverse pallet. Let us help you keep your furry friend happy and healthy.

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 31, 2017

21 California Natural Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

My dog doesn't seem to be too picky about which food she eats. I like that she seems to enjoy the taste and texture of this food and that I feel good about feeding it to her. Compared to other brands, this one takes better care of meeting my dog's nutritional needs. She doesn't ever leave a single bite behind, and I am pleased with knowing that she is satisfied by something that is beneficial to her. Also, I originally purchased this food based on a recommendation from an employee at the store who feeds it to her dogs as well. She showed me that it actually is the perfect size bites for my pup and when she opened the bag to show me, I could immediately smell the aroma and knew that it would be tempting to my dog.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I liked it because it was a limited ingredient food designed for dogs with food allergies. It was dry kibble with small bite formula for my Shih Tzu. They sold it at PetPeople near where I used to live. It was a whole ingredient, premium food. However, there were a few flavor options, chicken, lamb, and fish. Also, the company, Natura, had a couple of recalls on the food. Then I stopped purchasing it after the company was sold to Mars brand and no longer a small production company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Our lab is allergic to everything. We change brands all the time to see if we can help with the licking and ear problems. California Natural Dog Food use a single source proteins and offer many off beat proteins, venison, duck, salmon. The morsels are small and don't break up on the bag. The food does not have a foul odor like others I have purchased. Our dog loves the taste and is filled with the limited food we feed. Labs are always hungry. We use the food for treats since we don't want to add anything else to her diet. The single source proteins are helpful in isolating the proteins she is not allergic to. I'm concrete about the fact that bone meal makes such a large percentage of the food. I would rather see a food with a protein and a single source filler, either sweet potatoes, rice, peas etc. Stop putting in all the extras.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Even though it's "just dog food" I care about what the big galoot. I have been loyal to the brand since the late 90's when it first came out. I've fed it to all of my dogs since. They all seem to like it. It's an all natural lamb and rice diet that doesn't aggravate my dog's sensitive stomach. No diarrhea or throwy puppy. Honestly, it's high quality enough for human consumption. I think the dog eats better that the rest of us do. However, the stuff is wicked expensive and we go through a lot of kibble. Other than that I really can't say as I have other complaints about it. The dog loves it. He gets brewers yeast and garlic gravy over the top and he scarfs it down.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

California Natural Dog Food has natural ingredients and my dogs love it. It does not smell like other dog foods. Can tell the dogs love it. They come running once they hear the bag. Although it's a very great product, I'd like to be able to buy bigger bags. I have to buy medium bags due to there are no larger bags at my stores. I have a few dogs and sometimes I'm having to buy multi bags. Overall, my dogs seem to like this product. It looks like real food compared to other dog foods.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about California Natural Dog Food?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Our dogs love California Natural Dog Food, and it has all the good stuff and none of the horrible stuff like corn and bone meal and all the other garbage they put in mainstream junk. The lamb and rice is the best. They both love it, what more can you ask from a dog food. However, I would lower the price because some of us poor folks cannot possibly afford to pay what is asked for truly GOOD dog food. Unlike the main brand this stuff is real.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I really like this brand of the dog food. It is well provided. However, they should have been better price and it could smell better as my dog gets a bad smell. They should also have minty products. The dog dentist was not okay with the dog food.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

California Natural makes great dog food for my dog and my dog seems to love it. He really enjoys it and I enjoy feeding him. California Natural Dog Food is very high quality and it is very affordable. It has a meaty type of smell and whenever I open a bag, he comes running. I hope to continue feeding him in the future.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

The California Natural Dog Food is made from high quality ingredients and my animal seems to really like it. He does not walk away or anything like that which would indicate him not wanting to eat the food. The texture is firm and the crunch seems about right. He eats it without any hesitation and does not stop until he has finished his bowl of food.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I chose California Natural Dog Food hoping it was natural and didn't contain some ingredients that dogs have no business eating. I've heard many companies label natural when they aren't but I like the coloring on the packaging. I'm not sure about the texture but the smell is strong and strange and the dog seems to like it. It's a complete dog food with a variety of flavors and nutrients. It's a reasonable price and seems to be at least an average product.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

It's a great and tasty dog food. It has a lot of taste and flavour to it and I would recommend it to everyone I know. My pooch loves this stuff and would eat it for every meal if he could! I don't understand how anyone animal would not love this stuff and want their owner to give them this stuff for every single meal, every minute of every day!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

This is something that will benefit my pet when it comes to his health and it will give him the right nutrition. One of the main things I enjoy about this brand is the ingredients used since I trust them and I know my dog will enjoy the food from this brand a lot. A thing I would want to improve on is where the brand gets sold since I do not see it in the stores I go to usually and it would help if it was around.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I use this to mix with his regular dog food and he has a very nutritious meal, so the fact that it uses lamb meal for meat doesn't worry me a whole lot. The extra fat and oil content is what I buy it for his coat and skin. I like the 3 main ingredients, sunflower oil for skin and coat, lamb meal, brown rice and rice, no white potatoes, corn soy dairy or eggs, small bites, very nutritious except that it would be better if it used lamb meat instead of lamb meal. The texture and smell are well. It is rough to the touch and the smell is like a lamb meat smell and he does enjoy this food.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

This is a high quality dog food that my dog loves and enjoys every day. This food is tasty, healthy, is made from all natural material and has many different flavors for your dog to choose from. The texture and the size is also perfect for many different breeds of dogs. However, the brand is overpriced compared to many similar competitors that offer the same product. The food also sometimes lack many natural vitamins and nutrients that my dog requires for healthy living.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

This was my favorite for my dog. It was natural and I always tried to get natural or organic food for him. I wanted him to have a healthy diet and a playful lifestyle so he wouldn't be depressed and fat in the future. He was always happy and healthy. I didn't have a problem with anything. They were great. If I still had my little Duncan he would still be eating this brand. There were no problems with his health and the vet even complimented him every time we went to get a check up. He stayed a healthy dog. He loved the smell of the food, this would be the number one food I would get. Every time I would open the food he would come running around the corner. He stayed playful and he loved his food. The food I got wasn't soft but it isn't hard either.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My dog has a lot of stomach issues and this brand doesn't upset his tummy. The smell isn't overwhelming and he also seems to enjoy the taste. I typically choose this brand over other brands but I wish this brand was a little more affordable. I know that I am paying for quality ingredients, but I've gone to other brands in the past because this brand is on the expensive side and it is hard for me to find coupons.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

It is healthy with no additives and it has no smell so my dog loves the food. Also, I love the food because the food is good for his coat and is non-allergenic. My dog will eat it and he is very picky about what he eats.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

This dog food is amazing and very healthy. All natural products and proteins, no antibiotics and no artificial coloring or chemicals that can hurt your dog. Fed my dog every day this food and it gave her energy and focus from when she was a puppy until she became an adult dog. Also, my dog was very content. Seem to enjoy every moment of eating the dog food. Even her coat of fur was beautiful. I recommend to other dog owners. But larger size of this would be really good.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I like the fact that California Natural Dog Food it's limited ingredient diet and that there are only three key ingredients, high quality lamb meal, brown rice & rice, and sunflower oil. All three dogs loved it right away. My granddog, Selene is 1 year old. She is such a picky eater, but she jumped in her bowl & ate it all. My dogs love to crunch it up. This dog food comes in small bites, we have Chihuahuas. There is no bad smell and it doesn't leave a greasy residue on your hands.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

California Natural Dog Food is chemical free which is very important for me and my dog’s health. The food is natural and I will forever buy this brand for my dog. It is great and doesn't have a terrible smell that most dog foods have. My dog loves this brand and will not eat anything other than this brand. My dog gets excited every time I feed her. The food is expensive and takes a lot from my check but I love it so much and so does she so I will continue to purchase and ignore the price.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

The pet snacks smell all natural and actually smell pretty tasty for a dog treat. Our dogs love them if they had a choice they could probably eat them, all in one day. The treats are not overly expensive and they have a rather large variety. Overall these are great products that are very high quality and we buy very often.

California Natural Dog Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

California Natural is an all-natural dog food company that consults with veterinarians and breeders to create the healthiest dog food options available.

• Uses many whole grains: California Natural doesn't process any of its grains; it keeps everything as-is so your dog doesn't lose any of the nutrients found in the ingredients.

• Super quality control: California Natural uses 100 quality check measures to make sure its products are the highest possible quality.

• Doesn't use anything artificial: There are no preservatives, artificial colors or artificial flavors in California Natural products.

• Consults with veterinarians: California Natural talks to veterinarians to get the latest on nutrition for dogs so it can make its products as nutritious as possible.

• Offers variety: California Natural believes in rotational feeding and provides alternatives to offer dogs different types of protein.

• Best for: Healthy active dogs, puppies and dogs that are pregnant or lactating.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

California Natural Dog Food Company Information