Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop Amazon
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.47/5

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Three years ago I adopted a a rescue American Staffordshire Terrier. The person I got him from said he only ate table food and that was wrong in my book. Once in a while is fine but, every meal is just wrong. Well, I tried to start weaning him off and it was not easy. I bought every kind of dog food there was to be bought. Then I saw Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog food advertised on TV and I bought it. I bought the dry and the canned. I brought it home and I put it in his bowl and I opened the canned and I couldn't get it in his bowl fast enough. He was eating it out of the can. I definitely made the right choice and we will definitely be staying with Blue Buffalo Wilderness! I love it and so does Charlie!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

When we switched to Blue Buffalo Life Protection Senior Chicken and Rice, my 13 yr old English Shepherd was showing signs of dementia, poor eyesight and hearing, arthritis, flea dermatitis and was underweight. It has been about 4 months, and he eats wet and kibble, along with oatmeal and yams/pumpkins, twice daily. All aspects have improved, and he is no longer showing any signs of dementia, day or night. He loves mealtime! We love this product.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

We love Blue Buffalo. We have always had dogs and for all of that time we have always bought them Blue Buffalo. Our dog eats the Chicken & Brown Rice. We believe it helps to keep our dogs healthy and vibrant. Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other (except with or Bull Dog who gets Royal Cannin). Since our dogs don't get table scraps and I always feel bad that they don't get to "indulge" buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps because I know I'm feeding them as healthy as I can be.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Doesn't seem consistent in freshness but that might be the place where I purchase have had to return. But they make the only senior with lower protein and best choice of ingredients. Have one very senior dog that needs no corn or wheat and low protein and I choose not to feed junk food. It is hard to find food made in USA and then you really don't know where the ingredients all come from.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a 4 year old chocolate lab. We tried a brand recommended by vet, big mistake. Buddy kept throwing up and had diarrhea. We changed to Blue, no more throwing up or diarrhea. He is happy with his food and very active with ball catching, running, hunting and even swimming. We did change vets a couple years ago and he insisted we change to another product. He said the meats in Blue are too fatty. We are so happy with Blue, not sure what to do. My son works for Blue and recommended Blue. He did tell us what products to stay away from and what others are also good for Buddy. My other half thinks we should change but only after we use up the 40 pounds of food we have. I am not sure. When I look at Buddy with his healthy looking fur, muscular body and his being active....just not sure.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: March 31, 2020

I have three bags delivered. One bought at store. The three bags delivered created extreme Gastric events for all three of my dogs. The same brand (different lot) I purchased from another store did not have undesirable effects on the three. In my opinion Blue Buffalo's certificate of analysis need to be reviewed and researched. This recipe so to speak is compromised somehow. Pets are family and their nutrition is just as important as humans. Please perform due diligence on certificates of analysis from blue buffalo manufacturing!

Original review: March 25, 2020

I have a beautiful 4 year old Rottweiler. We started Blue Buffalo grain free beef. Many years with this brand. My Hershey ate it with no problem. Just last month we noticed the kibble was different. Smaller in size. Quite different looking. Hershey ate slower and even left some in her bowl which she never does. I contacted the company and they did not admit to any change in the formulation. Sent pictures of the kibble, UPC code and date of purchase as per their request. Meanwhile, my dog having explosive diarrhea. Like a fountain. Very gassy too. Highly unusual. I’m very displeased with the company. Raw diet for my girl now.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

We make homemade food for our Maltese as we have found over the years that many dog foods cause urinary and kidney issues with him. A couple of months ago, we ran out of his homemade food, so gave him the soft canned food (a couple of different flavors) for 3 days and he was having literal EXPLOSIVE diarrhea where he could barely make it to the door. And afterwards he sat there for minutes pushing so hard to try to get more out that he was squealing painfully. About a week after I stopped giving it to him, he was finally back to more normal bowel movements. My sister has also been having issues with it recently affecting her dogs (with both hard and soft/canned foods). I wish I could give a 0 rating as I will never give this food to my pet again or any future pets for that matter. Our pets are family and something needs to be done about this before more families lose their loving pets (the reviews especially most recently are astounding).

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I have been feeding my dogs Blue Buffalo for about 6-8 months. One gets the dry dog food in the dark blue bag. The other cannot chew kibble so she is getting the canned version. Initially it seemed to agree with them but as of late both of my dogs are experiencing vomiting with mucous, diarrhea with mucous that is blood tinged and lethargy. I have spoken to my vet, as there doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with them and happens shortly after they eat. We are changing their food right away to see if this helps.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I rarely go online to review products that I use or have used, but after the experience I had with Blue Buffalo Dog Food, I feel I must share this so other dog lovers can make an informed decision. In short, I say stay away from this dog food. My Cocker Spaniel, Jessie, had been eating this dog food (in a blue bag) for two weeks. He first had problems with defecating all over the house, but we thought it may have been due to a change in his diet. Then just this Sunday, after feeding Jessie Blue Buffalo for breakfast, he started shaking from side to side, then for most of the day, defecating and throwing up the food. He was also lethargic and slow moving all day long (this is an extremely active and fast moving dog, and slow movements is out of character for him). When you touched him, he would shake violently and yelp in pain. Late in the evening, after another round of defecation, Jessie yelped frighteningly, started breathing hard and died that night.

Watching our Jessie suffering this way and then losing him was wrenching for our whole family. It was a horrific death and reading these reviews of other families whose dogs and cats suffered from this food makes us wonder why this food is still on the shelves (and still heavily advertised on TV.) My advice to you if you are reading this and are looking for food for your pet, stay away from anything made by Blue Buffalo. There are other quality dog foods out there. You don't want to put your pet through what our Jessie went through up until his last few minutes on this earth.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information