2.55/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1906 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a 4 year old chocolate lab. We tried a brand recommended by vet, big mistake. Buddy kept throwing up and had diarrhea. We changed to Blue, no more throwing up or diarrhea. He is happy with his food and very active with ball catching, running, hunting and even swimming. We did change vets a couple years ago and he insisted we change to another product. He said the meats in Blue are too fatty. We are so happy with Blue, not sure what to do. My son works for Blue and recommended Blue. He did tell us what products to stay away from and what others are also good for Buddy. My other half thinks we should change but only after we use up the 40 pounds of food we have. I am not sure. When I look at Buddy with his healthy looking fur, muscular body and his being active....just not sure.

Original review: April 4, 2019

We keep Siberian Huskies. Currently, they are in 'personal pet' status (as opposed to 'working dogs') and given the lowered level of physical, activity, we follow careful guidelines as to quantity of food given them daily (half a cup of Blue Buffalo 'Rice and Chicken', Senior, in AM and same amount in PM). This seems to achieve the right balance between nutritional needs and maintenance of ideal body weight. Blue Buffalo 'Rice & Chicken' (Senior) appears to have a good balance of healthful ingredients, but more to the point our dogs love it (no picky-eaters at our house). I see no need to change brands, given our experience with Blue Buffalo Brand dry dog foods and we are quite satisfied with it.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2019

From the day I brought my Border Collie home from the breeder. I fed her Blue Buffalo Puppy food for her first year. Sometimes with Toppers and some without. My Border Collie is Healthy and Happy dog. We have given her no table scraps. We give her meat sometimes and use Blue Buffalo Adult Food as a dry food in her bowl. She never has to gobble her food. She grazes. When she is hungry she eats. When she is not she doesn't. I think with her Blue Buffalo she gets all she needs and is never starving. We keep portioning on the bag. We always have leftover kibble in the bowl at night. She is not overweight and very active. With all the bad reviews I thought the site could use a good one. Happy consumers hardly every post good comments so I thought I would do so.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I adopted a Golden Retriever a couple of years ago. He had major allergy issues. Tried every food I could possibly find that was “advertised” as healthy and specific to allergy issues. Spent hundreds of dollars on vet bills. A friend recommended Blue Buffalo Grain Free. I bought it immediately. After about 2 bags, his constant scratching stopped. I’ve been feeding it for about 2 years and I wouldn’t feed anything else. I will say you have to figure out the correct amount for your pet. Because Blue is made with real meat, you need to feed less.

I was overfeeding mine, thinking it would be the same as my old food and he would throw up. Started feeding half the amount and the throwing up stopped. Because some pets don’t transition well, I added Unsalted canned pumpkin to his diet for about a month to coat his stomach and help with digestion. People should talk to a Blue Buffalo Rep, before deciding on a product, they can help find the right fit. I’m glad I did.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I read a lot of negative reviews about Blue Buffalo dog food so I wanted to share my experience. My pits and bull dog "did great on the the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult chicken recipe". I made the mistake and tried another brand of Blue Buffalo which was the chicken and brown rice recipe. Well I learned a valuable lesson!! The brown rice upset the stomachs of my pits and one actually was vomiting. My bull dog had severe diarrhea. I figured out that it was the brown rice in the other formula that was causing these symptoms. My dogs cannot eat brown rice!! It's toxic for them. Since going back to the original formula I had them on, they are all doing great, are happy, and are no longer sick. I will continue giving my fur baby's this food "without the brown rice".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have a Terrier mix named Buddy. Buddy is going on 12 years old with never any issues. Because I like most dog owners consider our pets like family I wanted to provide Buddy the best food for him I can buy. After watching a television commercial about Blue Buffalo I decided to try it. I slowly added small amounts of Blue Buffalo with Buddy's usual dry food to wean him onto Blue Buffalo slowly.

Buddy is housebroken and would never go potty inside the house. After about a week Buddy started vomiting and had constant bad diarrhea with mucus and blood. Buddy would sometimes even after very late walks still go potty inside. It was not just one random episode but sometimes 3 or 4 times a night on the carpet. This broke my heart that somehow I took a perfectly fine dog and turned him into something he has never displayed before. I took Buddy to the Vet and he told me I was the eighth dog brought in with the same symptoms. He went on to say that Blue Buffalo was the worst choice of dog food to give to Buddy.

After his weekly medication with a diet of white rice and chicken Buddy is almost back to normal. The vet diagnosed Buddy with Acute Colitis. I am sure some people may have had a different experience but mine is a stern warning to absolutely avoid this dog food. This was an experience that took up way too much time, deep heartbreak, carpet cleaning, vet bill, and unnecessary stress. Now my conscience is clear, you have been warned. Take care.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have an almost 11 year old Morkie (Yorkie/Maltese mix). I’ve had her on Blue Buffalo products since she was 3-4 years old. Never had issue, until now. She has been experiencing terrible GI issues. Diarrhea on and off. Full of mucus and blood. The stool was black. I took her to the vet and he advised my dog was the 6th dog he treated with GI issues that all were on Blue Buffalo this month alone. He recommended Hill's Science or Royal Canin. I am still not sure I like those brands either. I put her on a home cooked chicken and rice diet and of course on the medications prescribed and she seemed to get better. My mistake was trying to incorporate Blue Buffalo again as that has always been her food. My baby is a senior and GI issues are common, but after incorporating the food again she went right back to the GI problems. Please, do your pet and yourself a favor and steer away from Blue Buffalo to avoid GI issues in the future.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I had switched to Blue Buffalo can food, Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill Senior and also Rocky Mountain Red Meat Senior, both in cans. I have 3 cockapoos. Winston developed osterscarama and diarrhea, too sick. He was put to sleep when he couldn't breathe anymore. He had cancer in his throat and esophagus. The others 2 cockapoos had been having tarry black stools, diarrhea and vomiting. One was explosive all over the floor. Both were too sick. I stopped using the cans. I had been feeding them rice, boiled chicken, boiled egg. They are getting better now. Put these food on recall, please....

Original review: June 7, 2019

My Beagle loves the Blue Training treats. We have tried several, and these seem to be his favorite. He begs to train several times a day. He learns to be an obedient pup, and we get a well trained friend for life. Win, win!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have a 3½ yr old Weimaraner and he had been on Eukanuba since we had got him but our vet suggested we might try and switch him to a little better quality food. So we chose to go with the Blue Buffalo brand, and everything was ok for about the first week, but after that he started getting horrible diarrhea. And we had just got a puppy as a companion for him but unfortunately she had Giardia when we got her, and so we thought maybe he may have picked it up from the new puppy. But we had a stool sample tested for him and the vet said it had came back negative for everything. And the diarrhea had gotten so bad at that point, he was crying while he was pooping.

So we asked the vet what to do and they told us to try and switch foods, so we switched him to Nutro Essentials, which I hear is a pretty good food and what we now have the puppy on as well. And a day and a half after we switched his food, his stools started getting back to normal. And now it has been almost a week and all is good now. I believe it was the Blue Wilderness brand of Blue Buffalo, and I don't know what it was doing to my dog internally, but I'm glad everything seemed to have worked out. Hope this helps others make their decision about dog foods. Oh and I forgot to mention I also noticed around the time when my dog started crying while trying to poop, that a strip of his fur, on top of his head going from ear to ear, had turned colors. It almost looked as if he was losing all the hair in that area. Not sure if it was related, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Also years ago, when my cousin had just got her puppy, she chose Blue Buffalo and when she poured some into the bowl for her pup, there were 6 or 7 LARGE GOAT TEETH in the food! And yes I'm sure they were goat teeth, we scoured Google to find out what they were. So from my experience, I would recommend that you stay away from the entire line of Blue Buffalo's products at all costs!

Original review: June 3, 2019

I purchased a large bag of Blue buffalo dog food. When I opened the bag, I was shocked to see webbings and maggots throughout the bag. It was disappointing to spend $60 on a big bag of “quality “ dog food and it was full of worms/maggots. I took the dog food back and the cashier said it’s very common to get worms. I have purchased dog food the last 40 years and I have never seen worms/maggots in a brand new bag of dog food. I will no longer by Blue Buffalo dog food. I exchanged it for Science Diet.

Original review: June 1, 2019

There is a true blue promise on the back of the bag of our blue wilderness adult cat food bag. It says no chicken/poultry by product meals. The 2nd ingredient is CHICKEN MEAL. Ummmm... lies? Just saying.

Original review: May 30, 2019

My dogs have been eating Blue Buffalo for years. The Chicken and Brown Rice Healthy weight formula. I purchased a new bag recently and after feeding it to my dogs they became ill. First my little Lhasa Apso Gizmo started vomiting, and diarrhea. He started vomiting blood and we took him to the emergency vet. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis. Now my German Shepherd Mix is having the same issues. I have stopped the food. Would not recommend. This needs to be pulled from the shelves and an investigation into what’s going on. Our vet said to stop feeding this food. We spent hundreds of dollars because of this.

Original review: May 22, 2019

This is the worst dog food ever! Our poor girl had awful diarrhea while eating Blue Buffalo and was very sick. We spent several thousands at the vet and she was eventually diagnosed with pancreatitis. Please do not feed your babies this poison! I even opened a brand new bag of blue kibble and it was INFESTED with bugs! I contacted the company and they could care less! I returned the bag to Petco and was told they are not allowed to take it off the shelf till there are enough complaints or a recall. Well now there have been several recalls but the food remains on many selves. So very sad...

Original review: May 18, 2019

I received my 8week old Morkie for my birthday recently this April after having lost my 15 year old fur baby June of 2018. I thought Blue would be a good choice because that’s what I was feeding my other dog.... boy was I wrong. My Morkie eats it up yeah but he literally eats any and everything. After a few weekend his poops smelt worse and the the diarrhea began. His gas was terrible from day 2 but I figured maybe it was normal because my other dog had bad gas. After a day of diarrhea I took him to the vet because I’m super paranoid. Had him tested and no worms or Parvo (Thank God!) but the diarrhea continued. I was expressing my frustration with a friend at work and she she found out she immediately told me to throw it out and went on to say that it’s happened time and time again to other puppies and even caused liver issues.

My baby is super tiny so I of course won’t leave him at home sick so he was at work with us. I immediately threw out his food and got him Wellness Core which she recommended and it hasn’t been 24 hours yet so I’m waiting for the poops to stop still. But just the fact that this is a common ongoing issue is ridiculous. Like why is this food still being sold.

Original review: April 29, 2019

My 4 years old prince cat was doing wonderful on my Costco food that I feed all my kitties for 15 years. Oh vet bills did kittie rescue that many years. Also all vet checkups wonderful for years. Saw the commercials for Blue Wilderness. Thought was better price. Was not an issue. I wanted the best for my prince. The food was 4 times the price. I did not care. Bought Blue Wilderness adult chicken formula purple bag. Within 6 weeks he was laying in the kitty litter. He could not pee. Rushed him to the vet 3 days later. $900.00 bill pretty much did nothing. Did confirm he had 15 bladder stones not crystals full blown bladder stones. I know they would not dissolve. He was in trouble. I know that surgery is very risky. May have to make him a girl if unsuccessful. A ton more money for an additional surgery thousands when all is said and done if not with the right vet got a referral from my local shelter. A vet that has done that surgery hundreds of times.

Success he is still a boy. Heard this has happened in prior complaints. I saw same thing. Blue Buffalo just kept blowing me off. My vet also forwarded all the information. From my vet he truly was sure that food caused my prince that problem. They did nothing and kept denying everything like others said oh no we have never had a complaint like that. What a company. We should get a class action suit against them. What a horrible company. Shame on them.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I wanted to switch my puppy to Blue Buffalo because my two cats eat it. About 1 week after switching my puppy she started getting a UTI and now it won't go away. It's been three weeks with my puppy on antibiotics and taking a cranberry supplement and I'm switching her to Hill's Puppy Food. I hope she gets better, Blue Buffalo is horrible.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Ingredients great for my dog. I order on Chewy. My dog is satisfied and looks fabulous! His weight is great. His coat is beautiful. I am confident he is receiving the best food available. The price is right and I have dependable delivery.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We used this puppy food formula because we wanted him to continue using the same product he was eating before we adopted him. The food worked fine for the first month, but then our puppy started having extreme diarrhea that would not stop until we changed his diet.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Used for multiple dogs. They have all done well with Blue limited ingredients version. We also prefer the grain free. We buy at Chewy.com or Tractor Supply Co. Slightly more than Purina but we have had good luck with Blue Buffalo.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We alternate between different flavors for variety, and Blue Buffalo makes that easy to do. Our dog has thrived on this regimen. Her energy, coat and demeanor are what we watch for in our dog, and Blue Buffalo meets those needs.

Original review: April 14, 2019

We love Blue Buffalo. We have always had dogs and for all of that time we have always bought them Blue Buffalo. Our dog eats the Chicken & Brown Rice. We believe it helps to keep our dogs healthy and vibrant. Our vet recommended this brand and we have never used any other (except with or Bull Dog who gets Royal Cannin). Since our dogs don't get table scraps and I always feel bad that they don't get to "indulge" buying them Blue Buffalo reduces my guilt of not letting them indulge in table scraps because I know I'm feeding them as healthy as I can be.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Even though this food is "more expensive" than say the generic "WalMart" brand, I end up using about a 1/3 of the amount that would be given with the generic brands. Further, the dog seems to be much more "alive", frisky and better natured than when he was on generic food.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Was using a different brand and found out the ingredients were not as described. Switched to Blue Buffalo. My dog is doing very well. Does not act like she is 11 years old. Will play until I get too tired and still wants to play.

Original review: April 12, 2019

It’s the only dog food I found, so far, for my current dogs that keeps them from scratching. When I adopted them they had a lot of skin problems, and when I started using Blue Buffalo grain free and they got better pretty quickly and have been better ever since.

Original review: April 11, 2019

This is a premium brand, but at a reasonable price point and widely available. Some other recommended brands are quite hard to find! This is grain free and doesn't cause tummy upsets in my sensitive dog.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Doesn't seem consistent in freshness but that might be the place where I purchase have had to return. But they make the only senior with lower protein and best choice of ingredients. Have one very senior dog that needs no corn or wheat and low protein and I choose not to feed junk food. It is hard to find food made in USA and then you really don't know where the ingredients all come from.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I buy the small breed chicken and oatmeal flavor. I like that the kibble is small for my three small dogs. Even their adult flavors have small size morsels. Blue also offers grain-free or regular. My vet does not recommend grain-free foods, so we continue to use Blue. Other brands are just so expensive. One of my dogs can't eat chicken, so Blue offers a lamb kibble in small bites.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Great because my dog loves his food and Blue Buffalo has great ingredients and most stores stock it. Not the low cost dog food, but the price is worth it for me and my dog. Have been using Blue Buffalo for over 7 years of my dogs about eight years of life. He is in good health and happy.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have had no problems with Blue Buffalo. My dog seems healthy and happy with the taste. I love the fact it says no artificial flavors and colors added. The extra ingredients are antioxidants that some dog foods don't have. I like the different flavors to choose from. Blue Buffalo also offers a weight loss formula which has helped my dog lose weight. I recommend this dog food to all my friends and family.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information