2.03/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1881 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

Ingredients great for my dog. I order on Chewy. My dog is satisfied and looks fabulous! His weight is great. His coat is beautiful. I am confident he is receiving the best food available. The price is right and I have dependable delivery.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We used this puppy food formula because we wanted him to continue using the same product he was eating before we adopted him. The food worked fine for the first month, but then our puppy started having extreme diarrhea that would not stop until we changed his diet.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Used for multiple dogs. They have all done well with Blue limited ingredients version. We also prefer the grain free. We buy at Chewy.com or Tractor Supply Co. Slightly more than Purina but we have had good luck with Blue Buffalo.

Original review: April 16, 2019

For the last couple of days I have been transitioning my dogs' food because the vet said they need less protein at their age. He recommended Blue Senior dog food. My dogs cannot have chicken so I got the fish and potatoes and my little 9 year old Maltese is so sick tonight vomiting shaking. I will never give her this product again. There is something wrong. She has never acted like this and I'm sitting up with her all night to make sure she survives.

Luckily I have pain medication but that is the only change that she has had and when I read these reviews wow they should not be able to sell this stuff. There is something wrong. I am sure that it is the food and I know they are supposed to gradually introduce new foods which I did very small amount. I'm lucky I didn't give her more. It's like a severe allergic reaction or something bad in this food. I wouldn't even call it food. I'll go back to Natural Balance.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Even though this food is "more expensive" than say the generic "WalMart" brand, I end up using about a 1/3 of the amount that would be given with the generic brands. Further, the dog seems to be much more "alive", frisky and better natured than when he was on generic food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: April 13, 2019

Was using a different brand and found out the ingredients were not as described. Switched to Blue Buffalo. My dog is doing very well. Does not act like she is 11 years old. Will play until I get too tired and still wants to play.

Original review: April 12, 2019

It’s the only dog food I found, so far, for my current dogs that keeps them from scratching. When I adopted them they had a lot of skin problems, and when I started using Blue Buffalo grain free and they got better pretty quickly and have been better ever since.

Original review: April 11, 2019

This is a premium brand, but at a reasonable price point and widely available. Some other recommended brands are quite hard to find! This is grain free and doesn't cause tummy upsets in my sensitive dog.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a 4 year old chocolate lab. We tried a brand recommended by vet, big mistake. Buddy kept throwing up and had diarrhea. We changed to Blue, no more throwing up or diarrhea. He is happy with his food and very active with ball catching, running, hunting and even swimming. We did change vets a couple years ago and he insisted we change to another product. He said the meats in Blue are too fatty. We are so happy with Blue, not sure what to do. My son works for Blue and recommended Blue. He did tell us what products to stay away from and what others are also good for Buddy. My other half thinks we should change but only after we use up the 40 pounds of food we have. I am not sure. When I look at Buddy with his healthy looking fur, muscular body and his being active....just not sure.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I find it provides superior quality and is a product my dog seems to always enjoy. Though a bit more expensive than some, I find it worth it. They also have a wide variety of dog foods that provide a plethora of heal benefits so you can feel better about what you are feeding your dog.

Original review: April 7, 2019

My three dogs refused to eat it. One took mouthful and then spit it out and drank plenty of water. I spent a lot of money and the Pet Store refused to give me my money back. So I now feed them Children Livers for $1.89 a carton and they love it.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods caused chronic diarrhea in my dogs, lead to pancreatitis, then diabetes. Worst food on the planet, and they lie about the ingredients in all varieties of their dog kibble.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I fed this to my chihuahua thinking I was feeding him healthy food, but my dog passed away in January 2019. I know it's from this food. This company should stop selling this food. They need to be shut down. How many animals have to fall ill or pass away to close this company down.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food. Have nine cats that used to love this product. I think they altered their formula because none of our cats will eat it. Even blended with Meow Mix they eat around the Buffalo bits. No idea what happened, but the rejection started in Jan, 2019.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Wanted to give my dogs a healthier food and switched to Blue, big mistake! I started the transition from Purina to Blue and noticed bad gas right away. Then the lethargy after full transition in both dogs! Their bowel movements also changed and soon had changed to diarrhea. I was worried that it was a virus, however my third dog who refused to eat Blue had no symptoms! I knew at that point it had to be the dog food! I threw out the remaining bag and put Purina back in their bowls. Within three days they are all better. Screw Blue! Overrated crap!

Original review: March 27, 2019

From the day I brought my Border Collie home from the breeder. I fed her Blue Buffalo Puppy food for her first year. Sometimes with Toppers and some without. My Border Collie is Healthy and Happy dog. We have given her no table scraps. We give her meat sometimes and use Blue Buffalo Adult Food as a dry food in her bowl. She never has to gobble her food. She grazes. When she is hungry she eats. When she is not she doesn't. I think with her Blue Buffalo she gets all she needs and is never starving. We keep portioning on the bag. We always have leftover kibble in the bowl at night. She is not overweight and very active. With all the bad reviews I thought the site could use a good one. Happy consumers hardly every post good comments so I thought I would do so.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Blue Buffalo does not have a consistent desired flavor. My dog will not eat this food from some purchases. It can even smell different, but be the same flavor as the last bag. I have even gotten what I believe was bad food that made my dog sick. I smelled the food well and it smelled worse than normal. I called the company to report it thinking they would want to know. They were rude and dismissive, would not so much as give me a coupon for a few dollars off on a new bag. I also cannot understand why they do not make a size very small kibble. I just stopped buying it... bad food and customer service.

Original review: March 23, 2019

My 11 year old Chihuahua began taking medicine for a heart issue around the middle of 2018. Around the same time, I noticed that he was excessively thirsty, always starving for food, and leaking a small amount of pee occasionally. My initial thought was that the new medicine was just making him more thirsty than usual.

Our next trip to the vet they tested his urine and discovered an infection. I had them do a blood test at that time. When his results came back he had elevated levels of liver and kidney enzymes. They told me that they were concerned that he may have Cushing Disease and recommended an ultrasound be done. We went to a small breed internal medicine specialist who performed the ultrasound. She said that his gallbladder was inflamed, but one side was larger than the other. Also said that his bile duct looked murky. She said that the symptoms were consistent with Cushing’s but told us there is a test designed specifically for that diagnosis. It came back negative for Cushing’s.

As soon as I heard about the dog food recalls, I began researching and reading people’s comments. My dog’s symptoms were just way too similar for me to think it was a coincidence. I called my vet right away and they told me his food was fine. I just couldn’t shake the feeling I had, so I changed his food the very next day. I bought him Orijen and his symptoms immediately disappeared. It was like night and day. He started drinking water normally and not the entire bowl at a time. Don’t trust this food. Luckily I was smart enough to follow my own gut. Rocky is doing great now on Orijen.

Original review: March 20, 2019

It’s pure natural ingredients and that makes me feel safe feeding to my dogs. And the dogs love the snacks. And unlike some treats, these smell almost good enough for me to try (but I’m not!). I recommend buying these for your special furry family members. They deserve the best.

Original review: March 18, 2019

The dog likes it but he likes most other premium food fed to him. Blue Buffalo is unreasonably expensive and I am never clear about where their ingredients come from. In fairness, there are other brands I question. "Made with world class ingredients" on some brands isn't helpful.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I started my 2 cats on Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach which I purchased from Petco... Soon after my boy started to regurgitate right after eating, a raised bowl temporarily solved that problem. Soon he started doing it again! After 2 and a half weeks my girl started getting bad diarrhea, then she started scratching herself... As of now I took away what I thought was good food, she's on probiotics now and still has diarrhea... I cannot believe this food did this to my 2 cats, I have had multiple anxiety attacks as a result of this and a lot of depression. I'm very Upset.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We've tried many different brands of dog treats. When we first adopted our dog we gave him milk bones but he eventually started showing signs of stomach upset so we tried Blue Buffalo, so far he's shown no stomach upset and absolutely loves the flavor.

Original review: March 5, 2019

A woman at the pet store suggested I feed my 3 pound Yorkie pup this food based of the ingredients and how it would be much healthier for him. Within hours of mixing Blue Buffalo with his current food to transition him, I’ve experienced terrible nonstop diarrhea. I will not continue to feed him this after reading so many horrible reviews. He’s already so tiny and falling ill or losing any weight could be life threatening to him. I’m so very concerned and now checking on him every hour. Please don’t feed your pets this food. If I could give it negative stars I would.

Original review: March 5, 2019

A few days ago I purchased a couple of cans of blue Wilderness. Our cat was so healthy and vibrant. We fed her a tin of the blue Wilderness chicken flavor and the day after feeding her this garbage she became violently ill. She threw up white foam and became very weak. Literally in 2 days she was so weak she could hardly move. Last night we brought her to the vet and we had to put her to sleep. We are absolutely devastated. So much so that after seeing these thousands of complaints I think there should be a class action lawsuit against Blue Buffalo. DON'T TOUCH THESE PRODUCTS. You will have your day in court Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I switched my 2 Shih Tzu’s food about 6 weeks ago. My dogs quickly began having bowel movements approx 3 times a day. They all seemed fine, I figured it was a result of a healthier diet. However, those health poops started getting softer and softer and eventually became nothing but mucus and blood. After lots of research, I believe it to be colitis. I’ll be taking them to the vet and changing their food immediately.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

We recently adopted a black lab and started feeding him Blue Wilderness puppy food because almost every site has it listed as a top dog food. A few days later, he is not eating his food, having diarrhea, and very lethargic. We spent the night at an emergency vet hospital after he was having bloody diarrhea. The vet recommended we feed him chicken and rice, then slowly introduce Pedigree dog food. He’s doing so much better now that he is on a different dog food. IF YOUR PUPPY IS HAVING PROBLEMS AND YOU ARE FEEDING HIM THIS FOOD, STOP! This food is going to kill a dog. I can’t believe they can still sell this food.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I changed to Blue Buffalo cat food. I noticed that the cans were not the same. Then my healthy cat got sick overnight and in two days died. The cans were lot 2020914U. The flavor was Chicken Recipe. Now I am scared for my son's dogs because I sent him Blue Buffalo. He said his dogs pant all the time.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We’ve been feeding our dogs Blue Buffalo grain-free dog food for 11 years. In late 2018, Noodles wouldn’t eat one day and was extremely lethargic. A mass, attached to her spleen, was hemorrhaging. We were too late and she passed. Just last week, our other dog, Ollie, started to show the same symptoms. Sure enough, the vet found a mass on her spleen. Luckily we caught it in time before it completely hemorrhaged, and she survived after the removal of the mass. Noodles and Ollie are entirely different breeds - and the only thing they had in common was water and dog food.

I can’t say for sure that it’s the Blue Buffalo - but there are extremely high levels of lead in this food per a CA 2017 lawsuit - and these masses can result. Thousands of dollars later and with unnecessary heartbreak, we will not be feeding our remaining dog Blue Buffalo, and any future animals will not be eating this food. The diagnosis is the same, and I don’t think this is coincidence.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

DANGEROUS PRODUCT! DO NOT BUY! I have visited this site numerous times over the last few years on the complaints associated with Blue Buffalo. I do this to continually stay updated on whether BB has gotten a clue as to how bad their products are or not. Apparently, after all these years of my issue and complaint to them they are clearly still making our beloved pets sick, and many of them die as a result. It's pathetic! And to make matters worse, while I read these reviews today I notice this site is plastered with Blue Buffalo advertising! Shame!

My story: I adopted my beautiful cat Kinnie when he was 6 months old just a few short years ago. At about 1 year of age I decided I wanted to do right by him by buying a good quality cat food instead of my usual Meow Mix. I was impressed by the advertising, and took the bait. I bought the Blue Buffalo cat food. Within about three and a half weeks beloved kitten became very ill.

I made a vet appointment, but they were not sure of the cause of his issues. He was vomiting and he seemed to have low energy and was disinterested in playing. Two days later were back at the vet. He had stopped eating, and there was blood on his feces. They sent us home with prescription food and stool softener. Two days after that we rushed him the emergency vet for more blood in his stool and extreme lethargy and now blood in his vomit. It was there he was diagnosed with renal failure. His creatinine and BUN levels were both so bad they said they were "inconsistent with life."

He spent the next three days in the emergency and at our new vet receiving intensive treatment. I had to learn how to administer IV fluids and eventually subcutaneous fluids when I brought him home. I had to take him in to the vet regularly to keep monitoring his creatinine and BUN levels. I administered subcutaneous fluids faithfully for a year before we could stop giving them. My vet told me now at Kinnie's 2nd year of age that we might get a few years of life with him, but that his kidneys had sustained such damage that his life had been severely shortened. My sweet kitten, now an adult cat, only had a few years left.

Kinnie finally succumbed to death at only 5 years of age. We spent in the neighborhood of $7,000 in vet and emergency costs and medical supplies in order to save his life. Every penny was worth it for my Kinnie, but it was a needless expense brought on by a negligent petfood company. I talked to a representative at Blue Buffalo at the time and told them what happened. They denied having issues or any complaints by consumers. But I found out later that was not true. I even told them I would be willing to send them a sample of the food in case they wanted to test it, but they refused. Deny, deny, deny... Kinnie is gone now, and I miss him terribly. Of all the cats I've owned he was the sweetest, most loving, cuddly, affectionate, playful kitty's I've ever had. I'm furious that they continue to get away with this. They still advertise how great their food is. And they have had lawsuits and recalls, but still they deny.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I recently switched to blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice to improve my dog's diet. Chicken and rice a nice is on the stomach blend I thought! Shedding and smelly breath from cheaper dog food, I wanted to switch. I started mixing new the food with the old food. She is very picky so I was going slow. It took about a week to go straight Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice. Once on straight Chicken and Rice her behavior went crazy! Excessive drinking, excessive wanting to go out to pee and run around in the backyard. Excessive panting, some shaking and up all night peeing. I pulled water dish hoping to stop the excessive peeing at night.

As of this night I am stopping food altogether. We are up very two hours letting her out and she is a dog on crack. Just changed her completely! Some for the good but, now mostly scary behavior. Like sneaking up on me and there she is? Panting, she looks frightened, which makes me feel frightened for her. Bad breath did go away and shedding, the rest a nightmare!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information