2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.94/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

We have been using Blue Buffalo indoor weight control (salmon) cat food for years. The bag we bought about a month ago had lighter looking kibble. Our cats threw now and then but we just thought it was because they were old (16 and 13). We recently bought another bag and our 7 year old cat now is also throwing up. My friend's cat has been to the vet 3 times in the last two weeks also throwing up on the same cat food. It sounds like they may have tainted fish or changed the recipe. I am tired of all of the recalls and am switching them to Taste of the Wild.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have two words to describe this food: trash and poison. Since I've been giving it to my dog for the past 3 weeks and he's been throwing up at almost every night and having diarrhea occasionally. No other food I have given my dog this effect. I called the vet at least three or four times during this period. They gave me prescription dog food. When he ate it he was peeing a lot but he stopped throwing up which I thought was a great sign. But as soon as I started feeding it to him again within 2 to 3 days everything started over. I have given my dog Beneful, Hill's Science Diet, and homemade dog food but there is nothing that I've ever fed my dog that had such a negative effect such as this one. I switched his food to Freshpet and we have gone a full 24 hours without him throwing up.

As a pet owner, you feel guilty when you realize that the very food you've giving your dog is what has been making him sick. I spoke to my vet concerning the effects of the Blue Mountain food. I've come to realize that a lot of vets recommend a lot of food but do not understand the effects it has on the animals. My advice to anyone is DO NOT waste your money and don't waste your time on this food. Save yourself money at the vet and just throw this trash away.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My dog was perfectly healthy until I switched to Blue Buffalo dog food. She is a westie and she has lost half her weight. She eat the food for about a week and then started vomiting. Now she has to have surgery and may not make it. This dog food is toxic, don't feed it to your pets. It will kill them.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I read a lot of negative reviews about Blue Buffalo dog food so I wanted to share my experience. My pits and bull dog "did great on the the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult chicken recipe". I made the mistake and tried another brand of Blue Buffalo which was the chicken and brown rice recipe. Well I learned a valuable lesson!! The brown rice upset the stomachs of my pits and one actually was vomiting. My bull dog had severe diarrhea. I figured out that it was the brown rice in the other formula that was causing these symptoms. My dogs cannot eat brown rice!! It's toxic for them. Since going back to the original formula I had them on, they are all doing great, are happy, and are no longer sick. I will continue giving my fur baby's this food "without the brown rice".

Original review: July 31, 2018

It has been 3 1/2 yrs since we lost our son's beautiful Lab. Our son sails as a captain on a container ship, and before he was married, we would keep his dog during the extended sailing times. My husband and I trained Harvey, and he was everything you could wish for in a dog. In Nov 2014, my son drove up from SC with Harvey, and 2 bags of Blue Buffalo food. We opened the first bag and started feeding the dog from it.

By Thanksgiving week, we were seeing Harvey vomiting. His stools turned black. We took him to our local vet, and nothing was found abnormal. Harvey was losing weight, losing interest in eating, and becoming more and more lethargic. We took him back to the vet, and a test was done. It revealed nothing. Next thing we knew, Harvey's one side of the top of his head, was caving in, creating a dent. We switched to chicken and rice, and he ate that willingly. We went to a second vet, hoping he would be able to determine the cause of this drastic change.

By January 13th, we had a very sick dog on our hands. My husband had to carry him to the car, and we rushed Harvey to yet a third vet who said, "Bring him in now." It was a 40 min drive. Once on the table, Harvey lost consciousness. The vet, a highly recommended one, said she didn't think anything could be done at that point. They tried to do an IV, but Harvey's veins had collapsed. At 4 pm, he passed away. Both my husband and I knew there was NOTHING that Harvey got into, both outside and inside our home, to cause this sudden, rapid, deterioration.

I contacted Blue Buffalo and was emailed a multi-page form to complete. I waited for a response. Yes, we got one. We were told that since the initial vet did not specifically state that the dog food was the cause of the sudden change, BB would not pay for any medical expenses. I posted on ConsumerAffairs that January. The BB commercials seemed to be fewer on TV. Now, they are all over the screen again, touting the quality of their products. We did have a necropsy done. The only abnormality that showed up was a presence of the same chemical that is in mothballs. Our house did not have any boxes or similar products during those times. I am so sorry to find that, 3+ years later, people are still losing their pets that have been on BB products. Reading about pets dying almost overnight is heart wrenching. I am at a loss as to how we can stop this ongoing occurrence.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I purchased this Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult dog food a few days ago. My dog became very sick. He threw up the food (which I stepped in.) and he had diarrhea all over the house. He also had non stop shivering. My cat snuck some food from his bowl and become very ill with the same symptoms. The lot number was 20190514AH4 D 0020. Never again will I buy anything from this company.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I recently purchased a large bag of Blue Buffalo at Target. I opened it up and put it in my dog's bowl. Later I noticed a bug that looks like a grain beetle or something along that lines crawling up the side of the bowl. It is very gross. A better description of it would be a maggot with legs only brown. I could not figure out where it came from. A day later I poured him another bowl of dog food and saw 2 more. I opened the bag and stirred it around and there were a lot of them in the bag. A new bag less than 3 days off the store shelf. I felt so sorry for my dog who ate these horrid things.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in that my girl didn't die. She did however get pretty sick from this dog food. I feel bad because I did do research and thought Blue Buffalo was a good food. After she was sick and I changed her to Fromms, I emailed Blue Buffalo and asked where they get their ingredients and never heard back. Stay away from this dog food!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I switched my dogs to Blue Buffalo to find a food my male would eat. I have two Great Pyrenees that are 3.5 years old. All seemed fine until I purchased a large new bag (adult dog food) to take with them to the trainers during a recent vacation. After two days my girl started to lose her appetite and have diarrhea. They monitored her closely and let her rest and it seemed things got back to normal for a few days as she continued to eat some of the food. Then out of the blue she died overnight. We had no solid answers and thought it was just a fluke and she died in her sleep until a day later my male started to have bloody diarrhea and vomiting right after eating the food.

We rushed him to the vet and are running blood work. He is on meds through the next night and allowed to drink some water (which he is) but continued to have bloody diarrhea. We can try to start him on soft bland food my vet gave me but we are not out of the woods! After reading these posts and seeing similarities, as well as the class action in CA due to high lead count I am anxious to get the blood results. I have no doubt this is food related as they were both perfectly fine and healthy before eating this last New bag. I’ve talked to some friends and it seems others have had sudden sickness from the food as well. Has anyone ever had the food tested?

Original review: July 24, 2018

What do I say when we have lost the most amazing, special 8 year old Aussie. This happened last October. I knew I would cry while writing this, even after all these months. I started using Blue Buffalo for my 2 dogs and 6 cats approximately 3 years before this happened. I thought I was using a healthy, quality food. My small Shih Tzu started having seizures while on it. He was put on medication not knowing the cause. I started him on a prescription food. In October I received a new bag of Wilderness Chicken Grain Free for my Aussie. He vomited an hour after he ate his first dinner from the bag. He didn't feel too great that evening but rallied the next day and continued eating his food for 2 more days.

He started drinking ALOT of water and since it was a Sunday I planned to take him to our vet the next morning first thing to check him thinking he might have a bladder infection. His whole body seized up about 10 pm that night - I was getting ready to take him to the emergency clinic when he passed away right in front of us. It was so fast and so shocking - we were devastated. He was an indoor dog that never chewed things up or got in the trash. He was literally the perfect gentleman. In the past I had worked for a veterinarian for 11 years and in all my experience with dogs I had NEVER seen anything like this.

The next day I called Blue Buffalo and the first thing she said was "Well we are NOT recalling this food." I said PLEASE test this lot of food as there was something VERY wrong with it. She denied that there was any problem. So I said if you are that confident in your product why don't you feed this lot number to your 2 dogs. She said "Do you want me to kill my dogs?" I gave up trying to deal with them. I couldn't stop crying for days and my husband and I have had many pets that have gone on to the Rainbow Bridge so I am used to saying goodbye when the time is right but the way our boy died was INEXCUSABLE! I needed answers so I sent his food to a very reputable lab to be tested for heavy metals.

The test showed VERY HIGH LEAD content - 650 ppb to be exact. Even Flint Michigan's water was only 158 ppb at its worst. I know there is no regulation on Pet Food lead limits but we are losing our pets because of the greed of some pet food companies who won't acknowledge the problem. Looking back our Cody was shedding heavily for a while and he was licking his rectal area quite a bit. I kept taking him into the vets to have his anal glands checked and they were fine. I absolutely believe he was slowly being poisoned. I changed all of my pets over to a new food from a small company which in their 20 years has never had a recall or complaint on the internet.

My cats are so much more relaxed and friendlier, coats shiny, my Shih Tzu does not need seizure medication is doing great and my new Aussie, now 10 months old, is doing amazing. Nothing can replace our Cody - I feel I let him down and miss him every day. All it takes is opening ONE MORE WRONG BAG - even if you think your animal is doing ok on the Blue Buffalo food. That is what happened to me - I needed to tell my story and it is all true!!! Go back and read more stories on this site just like mine.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I recently started feeding my cats the BLUE Wilderness indoor cat hairball and weight management formula. They loved the first bag I bought a couple months ago. I purchased a new bag this past Wednesday, July 18 2018. Two cats wouldn't touch it. The one that did is now in the ICU at a major University vet hospital. He has severe pancreatitis, inflammation in his intestines, and has had a stroke in one of his kidneys!! I am furious. Paying more money for high end food to ensure my cats the best possible health and it lands my favorite, sweetest baby in the hospital. This was after 7, yes 7, trips to different vets!! 3 long days of multiple visits trying to figure out what's wrong with my baby. Not to mention we are thousands of dollars into treatments.

UNACCEPTABLE BLUE BUFFALO!!! NEVER AGAIN. I will be spreading the word. Recall this food now!! You should be paying these vet bills. We have charged all of these expenses. This is money we don't have. I would sell my kidneys for my babies, but that is not the point. Make this right blue Buffalo and pray no more harm comes to my cat or anyone else's pets. You all should be sued.

Original review: July 15, 2018

After eating Blue Buffalo, our two dogs had to go to the Vet emergency room, they started shaking, vomiting and lost total control of their muscles. It was a long night thinking we might lose both of our babies. I called Blue Buffalo a few days later. They had me jump through hoops of sending all of the documentation. Which we did, only for them to become unresponsive. Finally they sent a letter that made no sense. I told them I took the remaining food and used my "Seal a Meal" to preserve it. They never wanted to test it. I WILL NEVER EVER feed my dogs their food again. When you have an issue with them, you will find out they are the most uncaring company ever.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My pet is no longer satisfied and is not as interested in mealtime as he has always been. What is the reason behind the change in wet food cans, pate style, it is already digested for him with that style and he continues to be hungry. Is there a reason why this food has changed style?

Original review: July 10, 2018

I've been feeding my cats and dogs Blue Buffalo for several years. Suddenly, my cats wouldn't eat the food (purple bag)... So after several days I bought the Indoor Cat (Blue) food. They ate it for a few days and now won't touch it. This, after 4 years of eating BB with no problems. I looked online to see if they changed their formula. I am so disappointed in what I'm reading. I called my pet food store and they have been steering people away from BB since it is now mass produced and sold in stores like Walmart. Before using this food, I did a significant amount of research on the best, healthiest food for pets. I'm disappointed they are obviously cutting costs to increase profits. My dogs haven't had a problem with the food, but considering what I know now, I will be changing them to a new food also.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I purchased the x-large bag of Blue Buffalo Senior. The expiration date was 2 months away from the purchase date and I was sure we could use it up. The first night about 5 hours after 2 of the dogs ate the food they had bloody diarrhea and were throwing up. I took one of them to the vet the next day and they prescribed a new food diet that I would actually cook myself and medication to get them through the next few days. They did a full blood work up. My daughter brought her 2 year old dog over for a few days and the first night I gave the food to him he had bloody diarrhea and was throwing up. I had not thought that the food was the trouble until the third dog got sick. I contacted the pet food store Bosley's and they in turn contacted Blue Buffalo. I am still waiting for them to reimburse me. It has been 3 months. I will never use Blue Buffalo again and probably no other dog food either.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have had nothing but good things to say about Blue Buffalo dog food. I didn't think there was a problem. But after reading all the negative things, it makes me question what exactly is in the dog food that could hurt my dog. As it stands I will stay with Blue Buffalo, it is all I give my dog for the last 4 years and she seems to love it. I am wary about dog food, especially since the dog poisoning several years back. If I thought there was the slightest inkling there was a problem she would be eating another product immediately.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My cat is picky about food. I have tried a lot of brands and I find the Blue Buffalo is the best because of the ingredients versus what's in the other kinds of lower brand cat food.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I just got my 15 pound bag of Healthy Living Chicken dry cat food-chicken and Brown Rice - purple bag this weekend. They changed the ingredients. They took out the turkey meal and added a lot more peas, plus moved good ingredients further down the list. The food is lighter and doesn't smell as good as the original. What a shame, it was really good for the money and my cats really liked it. It is mass produced now. What a shame the money Blue makes off people and they cheapen the ingredients now. I will be looking for a new food. Cats are picky hard to find something they all like.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have been feeding my cat Blue Buffalo Hard Cat food for about 8 years or more and everything was ok. In the past 4 years my cat has developed an itching that my vet could not get a hold of. He started looking as if he had mange and would scratch all day to the point of literally scratching his skin off the top of his head and face area. I was so scared for him. I tried medicated shampoos, flea and mite drops, topical solutions, even antibiotics. Nothing seemed to work so I figured he might have developed some allergy to his food.

I changed the food to Hills D/D Prescription hard food for Skin/ Food Sensitivities. His hair grew back. His bald spots are back hair after 2 weeks of changing his food diet. He looks healthier and stronger. He hasn't stopped itching completely yet but more than 60% of his scratching has stopped. I rarely see him scratching anymore and his coat is full and shiny. No more bald spots or blood from scratching. I heard from a local salesperson at a pet food place that Blue Buffalo has been known to have chicken byproducts even though they claimed they didn't and also lead. Not sure if all this is true but it would explain my cat's health deteriorating while eating Blue Buffalo Hard Food.

Original review: June 24, 2018

After losing a cat to colon cancer 9 years ago, I did MASSIVE AMOUNTS of online research and chose Blue Buffalo due its use of MEAT rather than meat by-products, fruits and vegetables for its carbohydrates, and LACK OF CORN. Cats CANNOT digest corn, and, shockingly, many cat foods include it ANYWAY! I would have given it all FIVE STARS, but lately one of our cats has been vomiting it.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It's one dry food our cat will eat that I don't feel too bad about. She eats it and it seems to agree with her touchy stomach. She is a rescue, from a nine cat household. She was one of three who didn't starve to death, but she has issues from starvation.

Original review: June 16, 2018

At 4 months old switched from Purina to Blue Buffalo for puppies as I thought it would be a higher grade food. Then my pup started having itching and diarrhea for a month and now switched to a Holistic brand that helped with the diarrhea. Still itches but will take awhile. I was told by the local dog Store. They said a lot of people switch over to the Holistic brand they recommended. Hate to badmouth any brand but it is what it is and people need to know.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I tried switching my older cat's dry food to Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach Chicken Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food today. About 3 hours after he ate some, he started vomiting large pools of blood. I was shocked to see my cat vomit a pool of blood as big as a dinner plate, and, several smaller pools about the size of a saucer. WTF!!! He's 18 years old and I can't afford to pay for the medical bills. If he keeps vomiting blood, I may have to put him to sleep.

The reviews say Blue Buffalo cat food is one of the best, but considering what it did to my best friend, I would say if you want to keep your best friend, DON'T FEED IT Blue Buffalo!!! I wish I would have read ConsumerAffairs Blue Buffalo Complaints before I bought a bag and fed it to my cat! Blue Buffalo Customer Service was closed to take my call, so I left a detailed voice mail. It will be interesting to see if they return my call! I plan on speaking with my Vet in the morning, but by that time, he might be dead!!! Take my advice, DON'T BUY BLUE BUFFALO CAT FOOD!

Original review: June 1, 2018

My dog has been sick ever since I began feeding her Blue Diamond Adult dog food. She has been lethargic, won't drink water, and vomits every day. I read similar reviews of this product. I will not be purchasing it again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I started feeding my Doxie Blue Buffalo in December 2017. At his checkup the first of February 2018, all was well. Fast forward 6 weeks and he is vomiting, having diarrhea, and drinking tons of water. A visit to the vet revealed kidney disease, GI disease and pancreatitis. He spent 5 days in the hospital receiving treatment, fluids, and having his stomach pumped after he wasn’t able to pass anything. 3 weeks later at a recheck of blood and urine, his liver enzymes are through the roof, and again we end up at the hospital.

An ultrasound reveals he has an enlarged gallbladder, pancreas, adrenal gland, and blocked bile duct. I was basically told to take him home, love on him, and enjoy our time together, and he would let me know when he was in pain. I cried for a week straight, but started cooking him things he liked... scrambled egg whites, ground turkey, boiled chicken, and oatmeal. I gave him his 3 meds religiously. When I took him back a week later to the hospital for a follow up ultrasound and blood work, to mine and his internist’s surprise, the inflammation in his pancreas had decreased, gallbladder had decreased in size by 50%, he was well hydrated, and his stomach looked much better.

His liver enzymes had also dropped dramatically (still elevated, but definitely much better). At his checkup last week, his bile duct is no longer blocked, and his ultrasound showed only that the gallbladder was still a small bit enlarged. After spending almost $4,000 in 3 months I feel sure the majority of these issues resulted from the Blue Buffalo food, as he never had any issues until he started eating this brand. From now on I will continue to only feed him food I have prepared myself. Regret ever buying Blue Buffalo.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My 8 year old Ratchi died suddenly of kidney failure - I'm not sure if it is related but we had recently switched his food to the Blue Buffalo brand. I would love it if anyone has any more information that I could look into the possible link of dogs getting sick on this food.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have a Morkie who's small at full grown weight between 6-7 pounds. I started feeding her small breed Blue Buffalo puppy food as soon as she came home with me at 8 weeks. She did ok for about 1-2 months. When she got sick with hemorrhagic vomiting and diarrhea. I almost lost her. I told the vet the dog food and they hadn't heard of any problems. I incurred a lot of expenses with this treatment. Because, the Vet encouraged the food I continued feeding it. As the time went on my girl developed anxiety, tilting her head to the left off and on periodic refusal to eat. Weight loss, and periodic diarrhea. I tried another food for about a month to see no change and went back to Blue Buffalo due to vet recommendation.

As she grew and it was time I transitioned her to small breed adult Blue Buffalo dog food. The symptoms my baby girl was having just grew worse. Due to the fact there was no recall for her food and the vet saw no problem with it I kept her on the diet. She continued to have frequent vet visits and close calls. I was terrified of losing her for years. I came to terms she was a sickly dog unknowing I was slowly torturing her by feeding her Blue Buffalo. This furbaby is my world!! She is about 7 now. I stopped the Blue Buffalo food a couple years ago switching to another. She unfortunately has suffered permanent damage. It is utterly heartbreaking to see. At times I question whether to have her put down.

I believe the food was tainted and always will. She was tiny so even a small amount of it would be detrimental for her. The fact she kept eating it even though small was poisoning her! So at the very least the small breed and puppy food should be removed and reconfigured! I just wish someone would take this seriously! How many furbabies have to suffer or die from this! Ridiculous! Also not everyone can handle the exorbitant costs from the damage it causes. Unfortunately I do have other dogs I fed this too short term that are a bit larger. Who also have some Neuro changes. Please take head to this for the love and safety of your pets or as mine are furbabies. Thank for giving me a way to get this out to protect these babies!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I found Blue Buffalo to be an excellent product. My dog loves it and her coat is thick and full. I would recommended it. But it is on the high price side, it would be nice to see some coupons for it.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have 2 cats that I started feeding Blue Buffalo dry cat food about three or four weeks ago. Since then they have been vomiting every day. This past Thursday I removed the Blue Buffalo and replaced it with Purina One which they had been eating before. Today is Sunday and they haven't been sick since I changed the food. I am not going back to Blue Buffalo.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods has made a big difference in my dog's digestion. They also seem to have better overall condition in appearance. When I have tried other brands my dogs get sick and have loose bowel movements.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information