2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (842 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

My miniature Australian Shepherd would get bored with the same food all the time so we switched around a lot. I got Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula recently and it never seemed to satisfy her, but she seemed ok otherwise. Wednesday, January 8th, 2020, she was fine all day. We walked, she ate and seemed fine. As I was getting out of the shower, I heard her yipping as if in pain. When I got to her, she was gone. I have been reading other posts of adverse reactions, and it makes me wonder. I am already heartbroken over losing my best friend, but if I find out I could have prevented her death, I will be absolutely devastated.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

When we switched to Blue Buffalo Life Protection Senior Chicken and Rice, my 13 yr old English Shepherd was showing signs of dementia, poor eyesight and hearing, arthritis, flea dermatitis and was underweight. It has been about 4 months, and he eats wet and kibble, along with oatmeal and yams/pumpkins, twice daily. All aspects have improved, and he is no longer showing any signs of dementia, day or night. He loves mealtime! We love this product.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My dog has had troubles adjusting to dog food before as she is very picky and thinks she needs to eat more treats than dog food. But I have never seen her do something like this, after a week of eating the food she started drooling, was very lethargic, and couldn’t stand. Took her to the vet the next morning to find out she had pancreatitis, best thing was it had just started and we got it under control before it could get worse. I do not recommend Blue Buffalo to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My dog was totally fine before Blue Buffalo! I gave him the biscuits to try out the new brand since I couldn't find his current ones he always ate. I took him to the vet when he started acting funny, it was about time for his rabies shot anyways so hit two birds with one stone right? Well I'm glad I ran a full test! Blood work and everything tells me all of a sudden my healthy boy has signals for acute renal disease?! Are you kidding me?! The lethargy, the no motivation to zombie around, the over drinking water like he had been starved of it for years! What the hell Blue Buffalo! You play a big game saying you're so amazing and yet you're killing my dog! My baby is all I have left and your shoddy work has nothing to show for "how much you care". Five hundred dollars in vet Bills! I haven't taken him back because I have no money! He could die and this is because of Blue Buffalo!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I have been using the Blue Buffalo Dental bones for years. My veterinarian agrees that they have helped my 10 yr old teeth from needing to go under for for a cleaning. I stand behind all Blue Buffalo products and will continue to use for all 4 of my pets.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cats are 15 months old. I've been feeding them Blue Buffalo since they came home with us. I noticed that there was occasionally blood in the fecal material in the litter box but not knowing which cat it was and not seeing any other symptoms at the time I didn't pay much mind. I did notice for several months my male cat, Adam, would take a long time squatting to urinate but little to nothing would come out. I thought maybe he was just shy to go with me watching. I also noticed that sometimes the litter would be soaked through with a high stench of ammonia. We get the extra ammonia blocking litter and clean the boxes regularly and very well.

On 12/28/19 I noticed Adam was very upset and seemed to be in severe pain. He was laying on the couch yowling and it appeared like he was either trying to vomit or pass (either urine or feces) but couldn't. I called the closest vet and they recommended I take him to the emergency vet. I took him in immediately. After 3 days in the animal hospital and a HUGE bill it turned out he had bladder crystals. It was so severe the vet couldn't get a catheter in to empty his bladder. It took several attempts and some ingenuity on their part to drain the urine which was full of blood. He also stopped eating and drinking for 3 days. He will be on prescription food for the rest of his life. After reading the reviews and speaking to multiple vets they all said how horrible Blue Buffalo is and that it is NOT holistic or organic. If you love your pets PLEASE do not feed them any sort of Blue Buffalo products.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

If you love your fur baby, don’t buy these products. My completely healthy 5 year old fur baby was taken to the animal hospital a week ago after suddenly not having much of an appetite followed by having some mucus-y diarrhea, less than 48 hours she was no longer with us. The only thing we’ve given her were Blue Buffalo products thinking they were high quality. There’s too many similar situations with blue buffalo being the common denominator.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

A few months ago my husband came home to find my very healthy active basset hound very sick and I have no doubt the cause was the Blue Buffalo food we fed him the night before. We had gone through a few bags of Blue Buffalo and though my other dog wasn't a huge fan it seemed to be okay until we had purchased a new bag and fed them maybe 2 times out of it. My husband came home from work and my dog whole living room/kitchen was covered in vomit, diarrhea & blood. My dog has not had an accident in the house in the last 8 adult years of his life. I am pretty sure he would just explode before he went in the house, but he was so sick. My husband noticed immediately he was bleeding from his anus and took him straight to the vet.

$300+ dollars later and 2 days of very upset stomach he started to get better. I have no doubt it was the food and if we wouldn't have rushed him to the vet and got meds in him asap it would have been much worse. Don't take the chance go with another food, I regret not looking into this brand more before buying it. There is too many complaints for there not to be something wrong.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Gastric bleeding from food. I previously left a review, and I just contacted Blue Buffalo because I am pissed. It appears that there are enough of us that have this exact same documented issue that if we contact an attorney then once the case is won they take a percentage.. I called the number for blue Buffalo. I was told to submit a claim and it could take eight to 12 weeks. I'm sorry but that's far too long and people and their dogs could still become harmed because of this. For over a week I was up and down in the middle of the night cleaning up vomit, poop, my dog shaking and whining, and then I finally free to mice all blood and took him to the vet. Thank God he didn't die. Feel free to email me with questions. ** Please put dog or something of that nature in the subject. Potential 3 or 4 months to hear something back is unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I switched to this brand and gave it to my 5 year old English Springer Spaniel for a couple days. The first day we noticed she was very spaced out and even wobbly on her feet. The second day she had a seizure. An overnight vet visit showed no abnormal blood results that would have caused a seizure. She came home and seemed much better. The next day we gave her the "Blue Buffalo" food again, and that night she was exhibiting the same spaced out signs and we thought she was going to have another seizure. Then, it occurred to us that it could be the new food. Switched back to the old brand - and absolutely no issues since then. I have no doubt that it was related to the Blue Buffalo food.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have, had, a 12 year old Yorkie, George Patton, never had stomach issues before in his great life. A month ago he was in the vets and they made a comment that he was getting a little big (17 lbs) so, unfortunately, without doing much research and seeing that our vet was selling Blue Buffalo, we bought him a bag. Thought we were doing him a solid. A week later he just stopped eating it, he just hated it. But, it was expensive so we found ways (adding chicken stock, Ext) to get him to eat it. He still hated it, then we switched him back to his normal food, but it may have been too little too late.

My George passed away at 3:10 Jan 1st. Puddles of bloody vomit all over the down stairs, looked like a horror movie. We were able to say goodbye, as he took his last bloody breath. If I had done my due diligence before I had bought this crap of a brand my general would still possibly be bossing me around. If there were less than a star that is what I would be posting.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have a 5 yo gsd/lab mix. He’s never had any health issues and a strong stomach I can and do regularly switch up his food. I grabbed these dental bones yesterday and fed him one last night. Watched him chew it fully. This morning he was lethargic and started throwing up blood. I originally wrote it off as gastro upset and the beets in the treats causing the red. He threw up 12-14 times, can’t keep water down and had to be carried to the truck and rushed to the vet. No obstruction (like I said he chewed it). His pancreas doesn’t look right and his stomach is severely inflamed from this crap. I had to leave my dog at the vet on IV for dehydration and waiting to hear if he’s going to need surgery. I thought this was a trustworthy brand. Found this site and it looks like I’m not the only one that’s had this happen especially in the last few weeks.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I switched my beautiful 7 year old girl to Blue Buffalo a couple of months ago. She was healthy and happy and she just DIED a few days ago. IF YOU LOVE YOUR PET YOU WILL NEVER FEED THEM THIS BRAND OF FOOD! Save yourself the heartbreak that my family and I had to experience prematurely. Doesn't even deserve 1 star.

Sincerely,

Forever Heartbroken

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

My little Chi mix is 17 years old! He is getting very finicky about eating as of late! We got three cans of Blue Buffalo! He ate part of the first can a stew! Not long after that he threw up! The next day we thought we’d try the rice Formula! Thought we was doing ok! Little while later he threw it up! Please for the love of your fur babies! DO NOT buy Blue Buffalo! ☠️☠️☠️

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

My completely healthy 3 year old dog went from totally normal at bedtime to vomiting and unable to walk at 4am. He began hemorrhaging at vet and there was just blood everywhere. He has hemorrhaging gastritis and vet feels strongly this was triggered by the Blue Buffalo dog treats we bought him recently. The vet said she has treated other critically ill dogs who had eaten this brand. I have no words for how devastating this was, we could have lost him. Please NEVER give this brand to your pet.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I will be filing claims for this pet food and almost killing my two chocolate labs. I have two chocolate labs..one is 13 YO and very fragile with Addison’s disease. My husband picked up a bag of blue diamond senior food from our local tractor supply. We normally get blue diamond delivered but due to the holidays shipment was delayed so my hubby picked up a bag to get us by. Within a few days my 6 yo dog started to be lethargic, vomiting. And then it hit my frail elderly dog with addisons. They both have pancreatitis....and we are taking them hour by hour and hope our addisons dog makes it....they are both very very ill...

They have destroyed my carpet and have vomited 30+ times....I’ve had to pay for vet visits and ER VISITS upwards of 1500 $ and we still are not better and now need to replace my carpet as it is totally stained with bile vomit from this crap...they both don’t go any where we have a fenced in yard..they have not gotten into anything and I find it interesting that this happens right after the switch....I hope they make it. We are very scared....

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I gave my dog a small amount of BB Chicken Dinner wet variety food with his normal dinner and several hours later, he began to vomit. It continued into the next day and he couldn’t even keep his regular food (not BB) down for more than 20 minutes. There was no other variables at play, as he had been home for the day and had no access to anything he shouldn’t have eaten. After reading the rest of these reviews, it makes sense and I will not feed him any BB product again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I believe this dog food caused my dog's seizures. After not eating it for a few months my dog was seizure free. Gave it to him about a month ago and he had a seizure that night! That's when it dawned on me that the dog food could be the cause. Haven't given him the food since and he hasn't had a seizure since.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

My foxhound has a very serious problem if eating more than one protein. He loses his giving him bald spots and infections on his stomach. My vet told me that some dogs cannot have more than one protein. So I switched to blue Buffalo Bison. And I also purchased a spray for my doctor for his hot spots. I wondered why he was losing more hair and his skin was flaking on his stomach. My dog just had surgery and the doctor noticed how bad the stomach was and put him on 10 days of antibiotics yet the rash is still there and that’s only because I was still feeding him the same food.

Well I just ran out of the food and I went to Petsmart to pick up another bag of blue Buffalo bison and just had a curiosity I looked at the ingredients and I was shocked. It also had chicken meal (which my dog cannot have) and fish meal. I cannot believe what I was doing to my dog. Why can’t Blue Buffalo put that on the front! And though I am irate at blue buffalo I did buy their Turkey limited which only has turkey in it. Now hopefully my dog will no longer suffer and I won’t waste monies on dog Antibiotics or medicated sprays for the bald spots which burns him. Please please read the ingredients of any package you purchased. I looked at other dog food and they all did the same.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I figured I would switch my big dog, Peyton, to this food instead of paying shipping fees from Chewy. Never again! Peyton never had a problem with loose stools until this food. He has had diarrhea and slight lethargy for weeks. I narrowed it down to this food after eliminating other things from his diet. After switching him back to his regular food, Zignature, within two meals he was normal again. I didn't have to take him to the vet, but was getting ready to if it didn't stop. Like I said, within a day his poop was normal, and the lethargy was gone. He is playing with his buddies again. Never again will I try to save a few bucks this way. And never again will I feed Blue Buffalo!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

My dog has eaten Blue dog food since he was 8 wks old. He is now 7 years old and has some health problems. I was absolutely shocked to find out I have been feeding my dog food with no meat, and who knows what else in it. How could you sell and lie about ingredients in your food to people that trusted you. I will never trust you or your products. I don't know the damage your food has done to my dog, and I never will.

You lied on your label. No meat in your food and charged a high price for food that was all fillers junk. May have caused damage to thousands, that trusted their loved pet with your food. There is no possible excuse for this. The fact your food is on shelves shocks me. I was your fan and I've never been more disappointed than I am with Blue Buffalo and will never purchase any product ever again and advise public to look up for themselves all the lawsuits on Blue Buffalo. It's all in black and white and you must be paying a lot to keep it quiet.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I purchased two bags of Blue Buffalo dog food from Amazon and when I opened one to put it in the plastic tote I store the food in a dead mouse came out of the bag. I contacted blue buffalo and they blamed it on amazon storage practices. Only problem I find with that is the bag was in factory sealed condition with no holes or tears. I contacted blue buffalo two more times and they didn’t respond. It is my belief that they play the blame game and can’t take responsibility for a mistake that may have taken place in their plant. I will no longer be using their product because who knows what else may be in those bags. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and think twice before you purchase their product. Unsatisfied customer Mike **.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

If it was possible to give this food 0 stars I would. We got the Life Protection Formula puppy food for our 7 month old Borderdoodle attempting to get him the best food possible. After three weeks of being on this food he was having very frequent bouts of diarrhea. I feel comfortable in saying after personal experience and reading other reviews that Blue Buffalo is not a food anyone should feed their pets.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Fed my cat this junk, he got crystals in his urine. Took him to the vet; my vet asked what we fed him. "Blue Buffalo;" "Oh ya we heard often from other patients about this food." DON'T BUY THIS JUNK IF YOU LOVE YOUR PETS!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Tried to open can of Blue Dog Food and the can exploded and the smell was sooo bad that we had to use chlorine to sanitize the kitchen counter, wall, floor. We will never buy this product again. Our dogs have gotten sick using this product lately.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I have only fed Blue Buffalo to my two Heelers, thinking it was the quality dog food they deserved. My old dog recently died at 15 yrs., but my four year old has been nauseous off and on for three years. The dog tries to eat my house plants or snow, trying to find anything to settle her stomach. I was curious if it could be the Blue Buffalo dog food and SURPRISE there are only one star reviews for this dog food. I will change brands tomorrow!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

As my dogs are both getting older, I started looking for a good senior dog food for my Yorkie and German shepherd/chow mix. I liked the idea of this food, because it was convenient to just pick it up at WalMart, instead of driving further to my PetSmart (20 miles away). It also looked like it had quality ingredients and with that price, how could I go wrong? Right? No, this food has made both of my dogs very sick with diarrhea and lethargy. My bigger dog has always had a sensitive stomach, so when he started with loose stools, I figured this was just another bout with poop problems, but when my yorkie (who has a cast iron stomach) started getting sick, I started questioning everything. I would have never thought it was this high dollar dog food.

I gave them pectin and they would get better, combined with my mixture of real chicken and real brown rice, I make when they are sick, BUT when I thought they were over the hump, I would reintroduce this Blue Buffalo dogfood and my nightmare would start all over again. You can look at these dogs and see they do not feel well.

After another mountain of dog poo this morning, I started looking up reviews here online and saw that most here were experiencing exactly what I was experiencing. I cleaned up the mess, sprayed the freshener and tossed the remainder of this dogfood into the dumpster. A co-worker told me "I would have taken the rest of that food", and I told him I wouldn't put that curse on anyone's dog. I will nurse them back to health with my chicken and rice, and then reintroduce to a quality food like Eukanuba or Science Diet.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

My Cocker Spaniel and Morkie, changed their food to Blue Little Bites, thinking it was high quality...but, after a few days, they would not eat, and had loose stools and tummy distress! Just threw away that food, spent money at vet's to put on special diet and medication. I see many other reports on this food. Wish I would have read this before my two girls got so sick!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

We have always bought Blue Buffalo for our three dogs and up until the last bag we bought everything has been perfect. Our dogs ate it for three days before the vomiting and refusal to eat started. Luckily no diarrhea but I could audibly hear my dogs GI tract making noise from the other room. I was about to head to the vet and start bloodwork and tests but good thing I checked the reviews on Amazon cause I would have wasted my money, switched food and all is well now. Bottom line something has changed and they are not telling us and it is poisoning and even killing some dogs. We will never buy this brand again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I adopted my sweet lab at the SPCA 8 months old. We tried BB for him because it seemed healthier than other foods. Immediately we were struck with diarrhea all over the carpet and frequent potty breaks for him. I figured "okay, he is just adjusting to the house and the food." No. Buyer. Beware. Blue Buffalo is not telling us something. I have read awful reviews and good ones. The good ones are for dogs that get a lot of exercise, are not sensitive, and owners that do not pay attention to their pet. No animal could possibly be healthy after consuming this food.

My poor baby began vomiting days ago and has vomited 10-15 times a day for two days in a row. This is not okay. I am going to sue if my pup is not okay. I am so worried, discouraged, and upset with MYSELF for not researching. He also refuses to eat ANYTHING at all. My advice for those that are in my situation? Get off Blue. Immediately. Get some plain brown rice and chicken breast in a bowl for them after giving them 24 hours with no food and be sure they stay hydrated. You can ensure they are not deadly sick by looking at their gums and being sure they are PINK, not white. Touch their gum with your finger and be sure a white spot appears after your finger leaves their gum to ensure they are healthy. Plain chicken broth is great for hydration, check to make sure there is not too much or any, if possible, sodium. The goal here is to inform others that this food is NOT good for any animal. DO NOT BUY BLUE BUFFALO. IT IS DEADLY FOR SOME.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information