2.32/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1913 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 5, 2018

My dog has eaten Blue Buffalo since I first brought him home six years ago. He loves Blue Buffalo dry foods and at his annual vet checkups his doctor says his weight is always appropriate for his breed, his overall health is very good.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Why is Blue Buffalo now available in local grocery stores? Has the quality of the food changed? My small dog likes the grain free kind... doesn’t bother her stomach like some other foods. But why cost SO much? Why is it never on sale or coupons available for the food? Dog food itself confuses me... I can only guess what is best for my dog's nutrition. Do you believe all the commercials? I pay this price for my dog's food because it agrees with her. She is definitely geriatric and not easy to satisfy... But the bag is also SO large for small breed dog, takes us forever to finish a bag. Too bad for us if there is a recall on bad food & somehow we miss it! The cost and confusion of dog food is crazy! I want to take good care of my dog, but consumers can’t believe anything they're told anymore!

Original review: May 3, 2018

I started my Chihuahua on the Blue Buffalo for small breed because of their commercial. He was overweight and 12 years old. After approximately 4 months, he started drinking excessive amounts of water and loss control of his bladder. I took him to my vet, he did a glucose check and blood work. He told me, he had an infection in the pancreas, (pancreatitis), glucose level was off the chart, and thyroid was too low. He now has Diabetes and has to take insulin shots twice a day and eat prescription dog food, and is on a thyroid pill. Now the diabetes has caused cataracts on both eyes making him BLIND!! I can't afford cataract surgery for my poor baby. I am LUCKY he is still ALIVE though!!! I wish I could sue the Blue Buffalo company for enough money for the surgery to remove the cataracts! My vet said he hasn't done this surgery in years because of the cost. People, PLEASE, DON'T FEED YOUR PRECIOUS BABIES THIS BRAND OF DOG FOOD!!!

Original review: April 29, 2018

My dog can’t get enough of Blue Buffalo. He dives right into his food. He enjoys it so much I have ask my husband has he eaten yet. Food never sits in bowl at all anymore. His skin looks better too.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Well, for starters, I have two Maltese puppies (dogs) and they have been using it for about 3 years and love it. We have had absolutely ZERO complaints about it or their health. Stumbled across this website and couldn't believe all the negative reviews on here!!! Highly recommend this brand!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: April 28, 2018

The Blue Buffalo high protein and low fat % plus such a wide array of vitamins and nutrients help me feel that I’m extending my dog's life by feeding him some of the best food on the market! It sure helps that my fur baby, Rocco, loves the flavors too!

Original review: April 27, 2018

My bichon Bailey died after getting a growth/lump in his throat the vet said was cancer and put him on **. My other bichon Dodi passed as well a couple years later when he started getting seizures. I absolutely will not feed my third bichon anything from Blue Buffalo or Blue Wilderness! Lesson learned!

Original review: April 26, 2018

We changed to the Blue Buffalo dog food because we saw the ad saying how good the food was. When I saw the post that dogs were getting sick from the food we immediately stop giving it to him. Our dog started to cough trying to vomit and we took him to the vet but could not find any problem. He just gave us some pill to give him which did not do any good, It continued to get worse. He was vomiting every day all he was eating. Took him back to the vet and we thought maybe he had a blockage so they took several x-rays but that did not show any blockage.

So the next suggestion was to send a blood sample to a lab in Texas to do a test. That lab is the only one in the country that does the test, result came back that he has pancreatitis and some liver problems which are the same problems some other dogs have that were on the food. The vet said we have a long road to get this under control. Hopefully we can get him better. We have him on 3 different meds and special dog food that is 4.00 a can. So we are now sitting at $1,000 spent trying to save our dog. I think the company should be responsible for some reimbursement for all our cost because of the bad food.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy is better quality dog food for mass-produced brand. Ingredients are better than most and it is grain-free. Never had any problems with the dog on this food.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Back in November 2017 I had to rehome my dog with a fantastic lady named Stacy and we have been semi co-parents for the Layla dog. When I first picked Layla up from the pound in 2010 I had gone into Petsmart and told the manager that I had just lost my job I am on very limited income and I need to find a healthy food for Layla. He pointed me to their brand and said once I get back up on my feet that Blue Buffalo is the top brand. I ended up getting a small bag at one point and Layla never really liked it.

Cut to November 2017, Layla was rehomed with Stacy and I had given her a huge container of Authority dog food. Somewhere along the line Stacy had thought I was giving Layla Blue Buffalo. So for the past six months or so we had been mixing the two foods together without knowing it. A couple of weeks ago Stacy had said that Layla dog had been eating a lot of grass. I really did not think anything of it and just accounted for Layla getting into something that she was not supposed to. Over the weekend I got a text from Stacy saying that Layla was itching uncontrollably and thought it might have been because of the flea meds that she recently put on the dog. I thought it was because the fleas were taking a last stand.

This morning I received a very upsetting and frantic text from Stacy saying that she just read a bunch of reviews and had Layla on Blue Buffalo and that she was sick to her stomach. We are going to Petsmart today and going back on Authority. I have noticed that since last year Blue Buffalo has been in grocery stores, Target and Wal-Mart when it used to be exclusively sold just at pet stores.

Original review: April 19, 2018

In the 8 years I’ve had my dog, she’s never had digestion issues. She’s always adjusted well when her food was change. That is, until I bought Blue Buffalo two weeks ago. The first week started with loose bloody stool. I figured it was a virus because as I mentioned she’s never had a bad experience with food. I did what was recommended which was keep her hydrated, but away from food for 24 hours. Her stool appeared normal again. Once I reintroduced her to the Blue Buffalo, the diarrhea started again. I had no idea this garbage had a history of making dogs sick. I guess it’s better to catch it early on than when it’s too late. *Lesson learned.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have a 14 week old dog that I started off on Blue Buffalo and it currently he has been having runny stool and has not had no energy. My vet say she conducted a test and he did not have worms, so after reading reviews I saw other dog and cat owners having the same problem and some people lost their animals. Come to find out Blue Buffalo has had 2 recalls and somehow they are still selling this dog food that is harming animals. Before you spend a lot of money on a vet bill change the food and see if that fix the problem.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I noticed the new bag of Blue Buffalo “Healthy Living” chicken & brown rice formula that we have been feeding our (7, now 6) cats for years had changed, in a bad way. The cats did not want to eat it, and were getting sick when they did. I just purchased another bag yesterday that happened to be an older bag by a month. It looked very noticeably different and the cats were gobbling it up. I didn’t know about the buy-out by General Mills until this morning while trying to research it online. It looks like we’ll be making their food from now on.

In case anyone else is feeding it to their cats and wants the info, here are the lot numbers of the old (good) and new (bad) formula. These are the 15 lb bags, but I imagine all sizes changed around the same time. The old formula is: Best by 2019 Jun 27 Lot:20190627 AH2 B 2144. The new bad formula is: Best by 2019 Jul 27 lot: 20190727 AH2 C 1637. I've included images of both lot bags and an image of the 2 foods in the dish. You can see the old good formula in the bottom half of the photo and the new bad formula in the top half of the photo the old formula is larger and a bit lighter than the new formula. I hope that people will stop buying this toxic pet food and that General Mills loses money over bad practices!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I picked up ~ a month supply of Blue Buffalo 3 weeks ago. To be short, I still have about 2 weeks left because my dog hates it and would reluctantly eat 1/2 a cup a day when he is supposed to have 2-3 cups a day. He is a large, active dog who walks 1-3 miles a day in addition to other backyard exercise so I find his meals so important. It's my job to pick something good since he can't.

I also noticed his stool was runny and he was itching more often than usual. I almost dropped hundreds at the vet having them investigate until I found all the complaints about Blue Buffalo online. I stopped into a specialty pet supply store in my city that has high standards for what they carry. They told me they carried Blue Buffalo many years ago but gave it the boot when it kept getting recalled and customers were complaining. They recommend another food. I brought a bag of it home and now my dog can't wait for mealtime. We are 2-3 meals in on this new food and his stool is already looking healthier. I feel so guilty I was making him eat Blue Buffalo and I feel guilty that I am throwing away 2 weeks worth of dog food when I know there are starving animals. :( Take some time to research your pet's food. It's so important.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I’ve been feeding all three of my dogs Blue Buffalo grain free dog food for as long as I’ve had them - all are happy and healthy with no issues whatsoever. My beagle has been eating it since 2011. Never a problem. My Doxie since 2012. No problems. My newest family member another beagle since last year, no problems and she is a picky eater.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Only fed our puppy Shih Tzu this dog food from birth until 2 when he passed away. He basically fell ill suddenly. As a puppy he started chasing his tail and going in circles, we thought he was just weird. He then developed walking and falling to one side and being off balance. Then he started shaking some and eventually he would walk sideways and couldnt keep his head up. He would walk sideways, fall and bang into things. Our vet could not diagnose him without a cat scan of his brain which we could not afford. He said that he would try ** to reduce swelling because he thought he had swelling on the brain.

It helped a little but he said that if he progressively on the ** then there would be nothing they could do for him. He lasted a few more months and then we had to put him down. For whatever reason the vet said that there was swelling on his brain. I could never understand what really caused this but came across these reviews of the dog food and now I wonder if this was the cause of his death.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have two senior dogs 10 and 17. I bought the Senior Blue Buffalo on a Sunday night, gave them a small amount and the next day they both had very runny bloody stools and the 10 year old was throwing up white foam. I rushed the 10 year old to the vet and $263.00 dollars later I had them on a special diet and taken off the Blue Buffalo. 10 days later the dogs were much healthier. My daughter brought over George, her two year old pup, and I gave him some of the Blue Buffalo and sure enough he ended up with runny, bloody stools. That's it for me. I'm going to take it back to Tisol and see what they can do for me. I thought this was a good food but maybe something is wrong with this batch. It has an expiry date of June 2018 but I don't know if that is the issue.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have been giving my medium sized dog Blue Buffalo for about a year. Her condition declined a little bit, but nothing that couldn’t be tied to old age. Then my smaller dog, a Chihuahua mix, started getting into the food, though I didn’t know it because it was happening during dog sitting. He had his own food, not Blue Buffalo, but was sneaking this food for at least a month. He started having seizures recently, so we took him to the vet. He was found to have critical liver damage and the vet suspects, based on other dogs he’s seen, that this was due to eating Blue Buffalo. Poor Calvin really suffered in his last days because he ate this food. Please do yourself a favor, save your dog and avoid this food! I’ll never forgive myself for buying this terrible food and poisoning my dog with it.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Slowly switched my 2 Pomeranians over to Blue Buffalo because it was advertised as the best thing to feed your pet. We slowly integrated the food into their diet like you’re supposed to do. We did not add anything to the food like another user assumed anyone with a negative comment about Blue did and After a couple of days one my dogs was lethargic, vomiting foam, and having mucous bloody stool and the other refused to eat the food at all. I took my dog to the vet thinking it had parvo or something only to find out that Blue Buffalo is one of the worst foods you could feed your pets!

They said most dogs have this same bad reaction or worse to it. I can’t believe this company is still in business because they are killing poor animals. I personally changed my Pomeranians to Bil-Jac and within 1 day my sick Pomeranian was back to his normal happy hyper self instead of on death’s doorstep like he was when he was in Blue and the other is eating like normal again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I started feeding my senior dog Blue Buffalo dry senior dog food. She was on it for a couple month and then started to vomit up stomach bile during the night, make this weird noise almost like she was grinding her teeth when she got excited and then began to have seizures. She was having 20+ seizures a day. After doing research on the food and reading about this food having too much lead in it I switched her food immediately. The vomiting and jaw noises have stopped thankfully but the seizures have not. She is now on seizure medications and still having at least a couple seizures a day. :( This company should be out of business.

Original review: March 20, 2018

On Friday, March 16 I had to say goodbye to my big, beautiful, loving, orange Tabby, Milo due to advanced kidney failure. Milo was not even 10 years old. Previously a dry cat food consumer, the vet was looking to take some weight off Milo as he was about 2 pounds above the top of his range. She recommended a wet food diet for 6 months with the option to switch back to dry food once he was a lean, mean, Orange machine. Unfortunately, he wouldn't make it to see that day. Blue Wilderness was on the list of "affordable" wet cat foods that we were told were OK to give our cat. We left the vet in November with a clean bill of health (besides those two pounds) and a goal to switch to wet food.

Around the middle of January Milo developed a UTI which we treated, but he never was fully the same. Soon after that he began hiding a lot more in the house, only coming out for meal times and not to play or interact. He also started expressing some bad behavior, such as peeing on my husband and on the wall behind our bed. We were told to give him a few kibble kernels with his wet food as he was likely just communicating that he did not want exclusively wet food. Milo continued to deteriorate with behavior and health. He had trouble urinating and he bit both of my children on separate occasions. We brought him back to the vet. She tested him for urinary crystals of which he had none. She gave us a few recommendations for dealing with our once sweet boy's switch to naughty hell-cat.

Then, he stopped eating at all. On Tuesday March 13 in the evening, we noted that Milo had gone 36 hrs without eating. We got him into the vet the next morning. His bladder was full with several days urine. They checked for a blockage but there was none. The vet manually expressed his bladder and found his urine contained more than 50% blood and she found sand, "grit", and what looked like wood particles in his urine. WOOD AND SAND IN MY INDOOR CAT'S URINE. Alarmed, she reluctantly diagnosed him with Inflamed Bladder Disease, took a blood sample and sent us home with meds. As soon as the blood came back on Friday morning she discovered he was in advanced kidney failure. His numbers were so high they didn't even register on their scales. In addition, they found 5 times the acceptable amount of phosphorous in his blood.

At 4:30pm that afternoon, my husband, and two young children (12 and 10) said goodbye to our beloved kitty; 4 months after switching to Blue Wilderness. Now, in his death I have done some research to find that this is a pretty common occurrence with this food and yet despite at least 2 lawsuits Blue Buffalo is still in business! Destined to kill more innocent animals. I have found to eliminate Blue Buffalo from stores, and from vet recommendations for food. I will never get my baby back, but I would like compensation for the $1,500 in vet bills to care for him, as well as compensation for pain and suffering.

My boy was never the same from that vet trip in November, little did I know the very food that promised to make him healthy and strong was slowly poisoning him to death. Blue Buffalo, you should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves. I don't know how you sleep at night knowing full well that you are killing innocent animals and putting families through torture. Shame on you. Never again.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My cats are both purebred and I decided to purchase food that was advertising high quality ingredients and grain free to provide them with a quality diet. I purchased Blue Buffalo Wilderness Indoor Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food By Blue Buffalo and started to feed them this food. Over time, I started to notice significant weight gain in my red cat and thought it was just because he was being so lazy and eating too much. I then noticed in my black and white cat that he was having bloody mucus diarrhea and thought, that it was strange since his diet was controlled.

He even started acting funny with using the litter box and used the floor at times. Maybe a purebred thing with a chance of colitis??? Both cats also began vomiting foam on occasion. Sadly, I fed my cats this food for 4 years, not realizing that it was causing the problems I was noticing. I then read an article claiming the ingredients listed for this food were not accurate and others were having similar problems with their pets. I was outraged and immediately threw out the remaining food I had in the house and purchased a new brand.

I started my cats on their new food and began noticing a difference as time went on. The bloody mucus stools slowly stopped, there was no more foam vomit, and my lazy, heavy cat became more energetic and lost weight, the cat using the floor instead of the litter box has improved drastically. I contacted Blue Buffalo to voice my concerns and found that they were less than helpful. They requested all receipts of food purchases, who saves those? They also requested vet diagnosis on my pets, there was no diagnosis. Anyway, my boys are back to their normal cat selves and are as active as ever, I wouldn't ever feed them this food again and do not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I lost my poor girl Zelly last friday. She was completely fine until I brought home a bag of blue salmon treats. Within one week of feeding her them. She was gone due to a seizure. I blame Blue Buffalo for taking my dog's life and am completely heartbroken. :(

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have fed my 2 pugs Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Formula Turkey and Potato Recipe Adult dog food for the last 6 years. I changed all of their treats to Blue Buffalo. I started feeding them this because of allergies. The research that I conducted stated that it was a holistic dog food and all natural, best dog food and it was made in the United States. In November 2017, my 9 year old, female pug became ill, not eating, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargic. I took her to the vet and he said maybe she just got into something and put her on an antibiotic and steroids. She improved but I noticed once in a while she seemed to be regressing but then she would rally. On January 28, 2018, I again noticed that she seemed to not want to eat and started with vomiting and diarrhea again. I watched her a couple of days to see if she cleared.

On February 1, 2018, I took her to the vet and he said a second illness in less than 2 1/2 months we needed to do blood work. Her liver enzymes came back very elevated. Once again, she was put on antibiotics and steroids plus ** for her liver. She seemed to rally but on the following Monday, February 5, 2018, she had rapid, labored breathing and was shivering. I took her back to the vet, she was running a fever. She received two antibiotic injections, switched one of the previous antibiotics and was given more steroids to take every other day. She rallied for one day (Tuesday), then her breathing became even more labored on Wednesday (February 7th). My vet was not open on the 7th but I called first thing on February 8th. He had me come in for more lab work and an xray. Her liver enzymes were even more elevated and he sent us on to a university veterinary center.

When I arrived at the U of M veterinary center on Friday, February 9th 30 minutes early for my appointment, they took one look at my dog and immediately took her back to their emergency area. She had an ultrasound which showed that her liver was enlarged, her gallbladder was leaking, and she had fluid in her abdomen. When her lab work came back she was severely anemic and she had very little clotting factor left. All of her labs were off of the charts. There was no hope. She spent her last couple of hours in an oxygen chamber looking at me with hopeful eyes while I waited for my family to come to the vet center because she could not breathe outside of it. 2 and a half weeks after I had to put my baby girl to sleep I came across an article stating that Blue Buffalo Dog food had lead in it and the particular formula I was feeding had 840 ppb of lead and listed the exact symptoms that my dog suffered.

I immediately quit feeding my other pug the Blue Buffalo food and returned any other Blue Buffalo products that I had purchased. I believe the reason my other pug has not shown the effects of this food is due to giving him cranberry daily for bladder stones and that has helped flush some of this from his system. I would never have given this food to my animals if I had known this. These companies do not care about our animals but only about the bottom line. Please if you are feeding your animal anything Blue Buffalo, Stop immediately.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My cats have been on Blue Buffalo for years. I recently got upset to learn while the Freedom is grain free it includes cellulose. If I wanted my cats to eat wood pulp which is non digestible by the body I would grind up my own. I was happy that the Wilderness does not have cellulose. After 2 years of being on the Freedom my cats gained weight. I could not understand how as they were eating according to instructions. I am not back on the Wilderness and in search of something more healthy. Very sad about trick advertising of Grain Free but they fail to mention it has wood pulp. Wow people come on. We deserve the best food we can get for our pets without the deceit.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My 12 lb Chihuahua/Terrier/Pomeranian mix is 10 years old. He's only eaten kibble since birth. Today is Tuesday, March 13, 2018. On Friday, March 9, 2018, I gave him less than 1/4 a can of Blue Wilderness Adult Grain Free Beef and Chicken Grill Wet Dog Food which I mixed in with his kibble I always get from Costco. Just one day later, he started having wet, loose stools. The following day, he had continuous diarrhea and was lethargic and has not eaten since last Saturday. He eventually had bloody stools consistently for 2 days now. I was able to get him to the vet right away and they said that Blue Buffalo/Blue Wilderness has had class action lawsuits about their products having more lead than what is allowed for dog food.

I am so angry that this company thinks this is okay. They put up a front that their products are wholesome and holistic. MY **. My poor dog is suffering after eating less than 1/4 of a can of their products. I ordered the 24 wet dog food can pack off of Amazon and just recently did I look at the customer reviews on it... THEY'RE ALL FAKE/ROBOTS. DO NOT GIVE YOUR PETS THESE PRODUCTS. THE BLUE DIAMOND LABEL IS A SIGN OF ILLNESS.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My 9 year old dog Tess needed to lose some weight so I started feeding her Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight Chicken and Rice dog food. She certainly lost weight, 11 pounds in less than a year. She was panting heavily, agitated, and hyper, too. Blood test revealed very elevated thyroid hormones. The prognosis was not good indicating a thyroid tumor. On a hunch, I decided to stop feeding her Blue Buffalo with our veterinarian's support to see if there would be any changes to her thyroid levels after discontinuing the food. Lo and behold her thyroid levels are now normal after stopping Blue Buffalo. Our veterinarian agrees that there is no other explanation for the reversal in thyroid levels. She is just fine now after many expensive tests and a terrible scare all due to this Blue Buffalo dog food. Do not feed your pet this food!

Original review: March 8, 2018

Hello... I read the ad about Blue Buffalo containing only wholesome nutritious ingredients and so, wanting the best for my expensive, purebred cats, I bought a few bags (Cat food Kibbles). Now my cats are all sick... Laying around lethargically, (so different than their usual playful selves) blood and pus in the bowel movements, plus drooling and vomiting up foam. I am so upset.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I had my 10 year old West Highland White Terrier on Blue Wilderness Senior dry food for 2 years. For 2 years she was in and out of the vet, not eating, and her stomach sounded like a squeaky rusting gate. She ended up having bloody stools and we took her to the vet and the vet said she had a compromised digestive tract due to THIS food! 2 days of switching her over to Purina Pro Plan Focus for sensitive skin and stomach and she is her old self again. I would NEVER recommend this horrible food to anyone and I don't think it should be sold. It kills animals.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Like everyone else, I wanted something healthier for my male cat. I fed him this food for 6 months. He suddenly developed a blockage. It took 5 days in the vet with drugs and a catheter (imagine the pain)... Oh and about $3000 to get my 6 year old kitty back in decent condition. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD. I would give zero stars if I could. I warned my sister about this food when she got her kitten but her vet insisted this food was healthy. Her cat developed a blockage quickly and had to go through the same catheter process. These are not isolated situations. Their formula is bad and it is a scam.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information