2.53/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1907 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

My American Bulldog turned 1 recently so I switched him from Blue Large Breed Puppy Chicken dry food to the Large Breed Wilderness Salmon. Big mistake I guess. Even with slowly introducing the new food... after 3 weeks, he won't eat, what he does eat he throws up. He's completely lethargic and has been crying. No diarrhea yet - thank goodness. I pay a lot of money every month on this brand that is supposed to be good for our beloved pets. I am very upset. Beware all buyers.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

After 4 years of buying Blue senior chicken and rice 30lb bag dog food... something changed with the last bag I purchased last week. Immediately after I bought it my dogs were both hesitant to eat it.. which I thought was strange. They did not touch it for over 24 hours which has never happened. My first suspicion was it was tainted with something. Dogs are very smart and have a great sense of smell. Then within hours of eating it both of my dogs had rumbling tummies and major diarrhea.

I have continued to feed it to them and the diarrhea has not stopped and they have no appetite and are acting like they are very sick. It looks like to me there may be some blood in their diarrhea also. I thought I would just look on the Internet to see if there was a food recall and i came across this consumer report and I was appalled to see all of these other reports of people having the same problems with the same dog food. I can guarantee you there is something wrong with this dog food, I have purchased it for years and never had an issue. This is way too much of a coincidence for this many people to have the same problem. I am going to call my hardware store where I purchased the food and let them know.

Unfortunately, I throw the bag away and I pour the food into an airtight plastic container so I probably will not be able to get a refund on this expensive dog food. Of course my next bag was free but I doubt I will be using my free bag of dog food. This totally sucks, both of my dogs are 13 and very old and I have purchased this dog food to help keep them healthy and now they are very sick. Shame on you Blue for endangering our pets and costing us us many dollars for the product and vet fees and carpet cleaning cost not to mention the pain and agony for the dogs. I hope you end up facing a lawsuit and have a class action lawsuit against you. I will be one testifying against you.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

I order from chewy.com. My dogs have been on BB limited ingredient and/or their Freedom Grain-Free. I received this new bag of natural beef recipe for dogs with LifeSource bits. The first day, my black lab/shar-pei/pit bull mix's face swelling up. I took her off the food immediately. Our other dog, a German Shepherd/shar-pei mix began having diarrhea and tummy rumblings. When Daisy got over the face swelling, we tried the food again and she began throwing up. Now, my dogs have rarely in the last six years had accidents in the house, but one dog vomited in the house and the other left a puddle of diarrhea. I gave this food a week since they both kept eating it. But am not feeding it to them anymore.

I would like to know where I can send it to have it tested. Our dogs are being poisoned obviously. Chewy gave me a refund but only asked that I donate the food to a shelter but I will not put other dogs at risk. Something is seriously wrong. I happened to have some canned Merrick brand dog food and the dogs' symptoms cleared up immediately.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

Blue Buffalo Basic Salmon - Have fed this for years, the last two bags, my dogs have been not wanting to eat and then started to throw up and having watery mustard stools. My poor babies tried to tell me it was bad! I will be taking it back to the store.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

I have 2 Labrador Retriever pups (5 months old) who have been on Blue Buffalo since I got them at 8 weeks. One of the pups has a more sensitive system than the other. He's had a few bouts of diarrhea and vomiting over the last 3 months. Vet checks have all been fine. My thought was maybe his treats weren't agreeing so I've switched those around. Not much change. The other pup, however, has had several bouts of gas since 8 weeks old and until today, no diarrhea or vomiting. (BTW, these issues never came up with our 9 year old lab who always ate blue buffalo life protection).

Yesterday, both pups developed horrible diarrhea (mucous-y & very runny). They seem fine otherwise. They eat BB Wilderness Puppy Chicken kibble and BB Wilderness Puppy Turkey & Chicken canned food (both grain free). They ALSO eat Bil*Jac Grain Free Soft Training Treats for Dogs. I'm trying to figure out which one is causing the problems. I'm going to report these incidents to both companies. I'm also going to call Petco and their vet to see if any other similar issues have been reported recently. As of today, I eliminated the BB canned food and the Bil*Jac treats. After reading others reports, I might eliminate the kibble too! Will report back once I know anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2014

I opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo Small Breed Healthy Weight kibble last Monday, October 6th to feed my two shelties, age 9 and 6. On Tuesday morning, I found vomit in the 9 year old's crate. He also had bloody diarrhea. He refused to eat his breakfast and dinner. On Wednesday, the 6 year old sheltie had the same symptoms. Both were taken to the vet who found no parasites, bacteria or viral cause for their conditions. They are on medication for nausea and diarrhea for 7 days. Both are on a bland diet of chicken and rice until their symptoms are gone. The vet thinks they ingested contaminated food. A younger sheltie in the house eats a different Blue Buffalo kibble formula and he has experienced no symptoms. I have called Blue Buffalo and left a message for them to call me. I will switch all three dog to a brand of kibble I can trust - either Purina or Iams, as I know they thoroughly test their ingredients and food in their own facilities.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2014

I had been feeding my Cocker Spaniel and Yorkie Blue Buffalo Senior Chicken and Rice canned food along with Life Protection Formula Senior Dry Food for the past 3 years with no issues. In fact they both became much healthier, leaner, and their coats improved greatly within a month of starting them on Blue. I should add I was also employed by Blue for a year so I was very familiar with their products as well as their corporate arrogance. I continued to buy Blue after leaving the company because I felt it was by far the highest quality product available. Approximately 6 weeks ago both of my babies started acting lethargic and both had terrible gas with explosive diarrhea and vomiting. I fed them a diet of chicken breasts and white rice for a little over a week and they were back to normal with solid stools and normal energy. I put them back on Blue and within 3 days they were having diarrhea and were both vomiting again.

I am done with Blue. I don't know if they changed their formula or decided to cheapen their ingredients to make more profit, their new manufacturing facility or what, but something changed dramatically. In the past when informed of ill pets, the message was clear that it was "something else" causing it such as pet parents feeding their pets unhealthy snacks in-between meals and the complaint was blown off. I have seen firsthand the effect Blue has had on my babies and there is no doubt it is due to the food. They need to investigate this and not ignore it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2014

I diligently researched the best Puppy food for my new Boxer. I found raving reviews on every site for Blue Buffalo. I purchased two 30 lbs. bags of life protection formula large breed puppy food from PetSmart. He has been on the food for almost a month now. He has diarrhea, horrible gas, stomach rumbling, growling, and watery goopy eyes. It has been hard getting him to even eat the food. I took him to the vet. The first thing she asked was what food we were feeding him. She confirmed my suspicions, it was his food. I thought I was paying top price for top quality, I guess I was wrong this time. All I can say is buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

I came to this site because my mother's friend's dogs had become sick and after talking with her vet, they decided Blue Buffalo was the cause. Knowing that we use Blue Buffalo (Healthy Weight Chicken and Rice) she was concerned for our pup and wanted me to do some research, which brought me here. After reading many of these reviews, and knowing that people mainly write reviews when something has gone wrong, I thought I should write a positive one since we have not had any issues. We have been feeding our three year old mutt, Dottie, Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula (chicken and rice) since she was around 6 months old with no issues. She does not love the small, black Life Protection bits, and often leaves several of them on the floor outside of her bowl, but what kid eats all of their veggies all the time? The only times she has been sick over the past few years, we could trace it back to eating garbage off the street (city life can be tough sometimes), cat food, or our friend's dog's food while we were on vacation. Every dog is different, and my heart goes out to those of you who have sick animals, but Blue Buffalo has worked just fine for us.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

My 9 month old doll faced Persian has been on no other food other than Wellness, until the last 3 weeks when I tried a bag of Blue Buffalo Dry for kittens. He is now in the animal hospital with a UTI, swollen kidneys and may not live. Thanks Blue Buffalo for making an optimal product for our animals!! Some things in life are more important than the All Mighty Dollar!!! I hope you sleep well knowing how many sick animals are out there because of your product!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2014

Have been feeding my 5 dogs Blue Buffalo Senior for several years but recently, last 2 bags my pack look at me hesitantly before they eat, if they eat at all. Recent bouts of diarrhea, horrible gas, stomach rumbling and growling, scooching and spinning 360's on the carpet, and vomiting. What in the heck is going on? Recently added to this list, watery goopy eyes, foamy mouth or drooling and lethargy. Thought they may have gotten into something or contracted a new virus but was talking to a friend who feeds his dog exact same food. He said his dog has had more gas than normal, acting like he doesn't feel well and had recently had seizures!

I went online to see if there was anyone who faced same situation and was shocked and saddened because this food is not cheap and I thought I was feeding my babies a better food for their age. Going to feed store to let owner know dogs' symptoms and encourage them to research it for themselves and possible take off shelves! Also letting others know to not use Blue Buffalo or discontinue use!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2014

I have three dogs: a Maltese, a miniature schnauzer, and an American bulldog. My Maltese and schnauzer were on Purina dog chow and my American bulldog puppy was eating Blue Buffalo puppy food. All was well with the world. My American bulldog is now 1 and it was time to switch her over to adult food. Since I was told Blue Buffalo was the better food over Purina dog chow, I decided to switch all dogs to Blue Buffalo chicken flavor dry kibble. Big mistake. All three of my dogs had a severe case of diarrhea within a couple of feelings and got worse as the days went on. I was told that sometimes dogs need time to adjust (I didn't switch them cold turkey, I gradually changed the food) and to try another week or so.

Well I started seeing blood in their stool and had enough. My Maltese has already had pancreatitis this year and I was not chancing that again. My dogs can eat anything. One of my dogs has eaten dry wall when I wasn't looking and it did him no harm. But a single bag of Blue Buffalo that is supposed to be great for them has caused them so much discomfort that my dogs are pretty much lifeless. I will NEVER buy this brand of food or treats again. I have read so many complaints about the same thing and I think it's time this brand addresses the issue or comes off the shelves. I'm very disappointed. I took the Blue challenge and it failed! I am so angry!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2014

Wilderness Chicken Grain Free - I purchased this food with high hopes. In the past we have feed our dogs Blue Buffalo products without any issues. In this case we changed from Nature's Recipe Grain Free Chicken Sweet Potato and Pumpkin because our dog was a poop machine so I thought a food with less fiber would be better. After 48 hours, our Lab mix developed a severe case of diarrhea. Since the only thing new that changed was the food, we immediately changed back to the Nature's Recipe and lo and behold the diarrhea was gone. I attempted to return the unused amount of food to PetSmart without any luck because I didn't have the bag. I emailed Blue Buffalo and they advised that they don't provide product refunds. So much for standing behind your product. I did some checking on the internet and found numerous posts from people who encountered the same problem with this food. I do not recommend this product at all.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2014

Feeding two dogs their food....On their plate we found a big chunk of metal inside of their kibble!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

I adopted my dog about 3 weeks ago and was feeding her kibbles and bits. Upon the recommendation of our doggie daycare place I weened her into Blue Buffalo. She has had serious serious diarrhea and it seems I am not the only one. This dog food was expensive and it has caused me hours and hours cleaning up after her. I also stayed home from work one day because it was so bad. I feel terrible I bought the BB and am going to try my best to get her right. I am going to try and return this bad but I don't know how that is going to go.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

I have four male cats. One of them has been sensitive to dry food but I wanted them to have something crunchy for their teeth so I bought blue buffalo sensitive stomach for my two younger cats. One developed urinary cystitis a couple months later and cost $1000 in vet bills. After a few weeks of only wet food I began giving him the dry food again and the symptoms came back but since the vet said it was probably stress from my other cat who picks on him, I separated him and had to go through the whole vet process again. Now it's been about a month since them on only prescribed wet food and he is doing great but my other younger cat had continued taking the buffalo blue dry food and he is now have the same urinary problems. I'm not sure it's the food just yet but that seems to be the common factor. Paying more for "quality" brand cat food on top of all these vet bills and I'm pissed! I don't know who to trust anymore.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

I had a 9 year old black lab female. Notice I said had. On September 30 of 2014 she had to be put to sleep. I originally fed her California Natural haring for 8 years and never had any health issues whatsoever. We moved and I could only get BB or Purina. I wished I would have gotten Purina instead. Long story short, my lab was eating BB wilderness haring. About a month ago she started to not eat as much. After I took my dog to the vet she had developed a massive tumor on her liver! WTF! She went from perfectly healthy to a tumor the size of a bowling ball in about a week. After reading all the reviews I truly believe that BB took my best friend from me!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2014

We have a 45 pound Shepherd mix who is now 7 months old. His food was running low and our local store was waiting on a large bag shipment. I purchased a 5 pound bag of the Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice to hold us over into the next week. What a bad idea. He was fine for the first day or so and once the weekend hit so did the diarrhea, vomiting and overall little to no energy. We didn't think it was the food and continued to feed it to him until Monday. He barely had any kind of appetite to eat the helping of food we gave him, he drank lots of water but still had very bad diarrhea and no energy. We cooked up a bunch of white rice and boiled chicken and fed that to him all day long yesterday. He woke up this morning with his puppy energy and appetite back! I hope this didn't happen to many dogs and hope something is done about this very soon!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2014

I purchase various flavors and yes, sometimes if I give them Wilderness their stools are not as solid as on the Life Protection Formulas. I hope that Blue food is not responsible for all the sick dogs. I read these reviews and I do not think that you can blame food for everything (seizures or intestinal blockage, etc.) I mean just like humans, dogs unfortunately get sick. It's not necessarily because of the food you are feeding them. I have to believe that if ALL these dogs were getting sick because of the food, the FDA would get involved and there would be a recall, just like Natural Balance, Purina, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Diamond, EVO, California Natural, Nutro, etc.

I follow the recalls and one of the reasons I only feed Blue food is because all these other brands seem to be getting recalled every other year. Acana and Orijen are great - but they've been recalled too. Maybe the Wilderness food is too rich for some dogs or maybe dogs that are used to eating Pedigree and Eukanuba can't transition to a food with a lot of meat and no corn or wheat. Who knows. But I cannot believe (and I pray I am right) that if food caused ALL THESE ILLNESSES, the food would have been recalled.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2014

After the big dog died and we got another Chihuahua mix, we switched to Blue. The 13-year-old pup now acts like a new puppy, jumping around and playing like our 2-year-old pup. We are so happy we switched from Kibbles and Bits.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2014

I got a 9.2 wk old Mini Schnauzer the end of June. The breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow. When he was about 12 wks old I put him on Blue Wilderness Puppy Grain Free thinking this would be good for him. He always has loose stools and often diarrhea. His gas is constant and smells like cooked cabbage. It is almost impossible to get him house trained. My other 2 dogs are adults and they are a Yorkie and a Westie mix. They are on the adult BW with Salmon. They are constantly pooping in the house now because the puppy has been. I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2014

I have two large dogs, 60lbs and 75lbs. One is a German Shepherd mix and the other is a Golden mix. They have been on Blue Buffalo for 3 years with no problems. Recently bought a new large bag of BB Chicken w/ Rice, Senior. Diarrhea for the Shepherd started shortly thereafter. Went on bland home cooked chicken and rice, and occasional scoop of pumpkin, diarrhea went away. Started back with BB, Three meals in and explosive diarrhea, watery mucosa, and a rumbling stomach that would rival dumb and dumber. Blood work and stool were negative... Been up with doggie with diarrhea all night. Shepherd is turning his nose up to the BB, won't eat it. He just devoured a bowl of rice and boiled beef, so it's not his appetite. Something is awry with BB... Time to find another dog food brand that hasn't been bought out and subsequently "cheapened out". Hoping for a healthy dog in a few days... This is not a fake posting...

Original review: Sept. 26, 2014

We just had to take our 5 year old black lab to the vet, because she had an episode of explosive, uncontrollable diarrhea, followed by bloody stools the next morning. They determined that the problem was Clostridium. As a senior undergraduate, majoring in biology and minoring in both animal science and microbiology, I just HAD to do a bit of reading about her diagnosis. We have been feeding her Blue Buffalo Wilderness (Salmon flavor) for over a year now without any interruptions, or major complaints. However, upon reading about the possible origins of this type of illness, I was quickly able to narrow down the potential source of transmission for our girl. We are very careful about keeping her surroundings healthy, and it had even been several days since we had last been to the dog park before this all happened.

It seems that her food was the only possible source in our case, simply because the other options would not have been applied within a reasonable time frame surrounding this infection's incubation period. I am especially concerned after reading several other reviews, about dogs that have experienced similar symptoms. Our pet store is very understanding, and will replace any bag of pet food if you buy it from them and have a problem. However, that doesn't seem very fair when the contamination would have occurred before the product reached their shelves. Please look into this potential contamination issue, and address your customers' concerns promptly, and responsibly. That $200 vet bill really did not belong in this struggling student's budget this month. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2014

My 5-year-old Boston has been on Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice for 3 years with no problems. I bought a new bag last week and he immediately began vomiting and had bloody diarrhea. Two trips to the vet, $595.00 and 6 lbs later, he is slowly recovering. I have switched his food and will never buy Blue again! I don't think it is a coincidence that numerous dogs have had the same issues in the last 9 months and some have died. Blue Buffalo has changed their formula recently and appears to be to the detriment of the innocent animals who cannot speak for themselves.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2014

I purchased Wilderness Blue for my wonderful 8-month-old German Shepherd "Bes". It was recommended by two of his trainers. Immediately both my wife and I noticed a change in his stool. I mixed it gradually with his previous food and he developed diarrhea! I'm so glad that I didn't purchase a large bag of Wilderness Blue. I feel this company needs to respond to all the complaints!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2014

I have four Maltese and one cat. Two months ago, I switched my dogs from Pedigree dog food to Blue Buffalo and six weeks ago my smallest dog whose 5 pounds started having seizures so I took her to the vet. I continued to give her the Blue Buffalo and so far she's had three more seizures so I took her back to the vet. They did a liver test and her liver enzymes were elevated showing liver damage. She is 4 and has NEVER had any medical problems until now.

I am no longer going to give her or my other dogs or my cat the Blue Buffalo because that is the ONLY thing that is new I have ever given her in the past 4 years. The seizures started within 2 weeks of her eating it and now her liver is failing. I have not called Blue Buffalo yet, but that is on my agenda as soon as I leave this vet hospital from getting Sunshine's liver ultrasound.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

I recently changed dog food for my 5-year-old Black Lab from Natural Balance to Blue Buffalo dry food. My husband and I were buying Natural Balance for about 2 years, but switched to Blue Buffalo one month ago after hearing how great it is on TV (big mistake). Yesterday around 6am my dog started vomiting while laying on his bed. He stood up and vomited again, then walked a few feet and vomited again. Right after that he collapsed and laid there lifeless for a few seconds. He then lifted his head and just laid there alert. This was the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. My dog is my baby. I noticed he also pooped while laying down.

I called the emergency vet freaking out crying uncontrollably while telling them what happened and took him right in. I am still waiting on his superchem blood work. The physical exam was good. The vet was puzzled, and then I told her that we did switch his food to BB and she looked at me with a concerned expression. She said that the owner of BB also invented vitamin water. The ingredients of the food are not based on science, at all. She said that most of the expensive food is over supplemented. She recommended Science Diet, Iams, and Royal Canin. I left my dog at the vet for most of the day for observation. He did fine so I picked him up that afternoon and brought him home. I have been giving him cans of I/D and he's doing great. My dog has NEVER gotten sick like this. The only thing different was the dog food BB. I will NOT give him the rest of the BB. It will go in the garbage. I hope he'll be okay from here on out.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

I usually get Max Cat cat food for my eight cats, but the Pet Sense where I buy it at was out so I decided to get some of the blue buffalo canned cat food. I mix the canned food that my cats eat for breakfast with some nutritional supplements like shark cartilage and Kyo Green and I'm so glad I do! In the "Blue Buffalo Savory Seafood Stew" I saw a little blue something in the food as I was mixing it with the supplements. I pulled it out, washed it off and unrolled it. It looked to be a piece of blue rubber. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it came from an inspector's glove. It was about an inch long.

I had to look through each of the cat's food to make sure there wasn't anything else in there before I gave it to my cats. I have about 7-10 cans that I bought and I'm going to see about returning them and exchanging them for another brand. I am not happy with Blue Buffalo and was shocked to find something like that in the food because I thought they were supposed to be a good brand. I wont be buying from them again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

About 8 months ago my dog got sick and had intestinal blockage ground up bones. My dog only eats Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice, no snacks, milk bones, people food, etc. When I first spoke to customer service they stated they use ground bones in the food. Of course they later denied it. I sent my vet's report, x-rays, etc to them. They said it showed food indiscretion but no correlation to their product. For their clueless vet and legal dept my dog ate nothing but their product. Avoid this inferior product at gourmet prices.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2014

About a month ago my husband and I came upon an 8-week-old healthy baby bengal kitten. The woman I received her from was feeding her frisks wet food and sent me home with a few cans. Being that this food was adult cat food I went the very next morning and purchased her Blue Buffalo's Blue Wilderness Kitten. She ate very healthily and has doubled in size in the last 4 weeks of her joining our family. About a week ago to our horror, our very playful sweet kitten started seizing, it was absolutely awful. Our vet (who is a great family friend for many years, was even a guest at my wedding and was almost my father-in-law's brother-in-law about 40 years ago) said we should ignore this one as she is so young and may have just been over excited. Yesterday my nieces were playing with her and a more violent seizure occurred to which we took her to the vet immediately.

Our vet said she seems very healthy and normal and didn't want to put the tiny thing through the stress of blood work and neuro tests until she has 2 more episodes. She has stopped eating as much as she used to and this morning to my immense horror had 5-7 seizures in the span of about 10 minutes. I took her to our vet again immediately to which he noticed her behavior was certainly different as she used to let out a loud meow and snap right back to her normal crazy and playful energetic self, today was not the case.

The food is the only thing we can attest to these sudden and terrifying episodes. The vet decided to monitor her for the remainder of the day to determine what tests are necessary as well as the recourse for the future. I can tell you after reading all these shocking reviews we will never by blue buffalo again nor will we ever recommend it. We will be putting our 2 australian cattle dogs on different food as well. Update to come with our poor Coco. Please keep her in your prayers!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information