2.32/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1920 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

I have been a customer of Blue Buffalo for over a year now. Initially, I began to feed my black Labs Life Protection Formula with Chicken and Brown Rice after receiving a recommendation that they'd do well with it. They loved the food. However, my dogs occasionally have allergy-related skin problems. As a precautionary means, we decided to cut commercial grain from their diet and switched both of them over to Blue Buffalo's Basics with Turkey and Potato. Up until this point, I have been very happy with the food.

On Thursday night, I bought a large bag of Blue Buffalo's Basics Turkey and Potato and fed my dogs for dinner. Early next morning, they were both vomiting. We stopped feeding them to give their systems a rest, but their vomiting continued for two days, along with extreme diarrhea. They were both continuously sick for more than 48 hours and having trouble holding down liquids. After consulting our vet, we took both of them in to receive an IV, anti-nausea medication to help their stomachs relax, and to make sure their vital signs were all okay. They were both extreme dehydrated upon arriving at the vet. Fortunately, they are now on a diet of boiled rice, chicken, and canned pumpkin and seem to be feeling better.

I am accustomed to seeing dog food cause stomach issues when it is newly introduced, however my dogs have been eating this for a long time. Moreover, new food or not, I've never seen symptoms this bad. This bag of dog food literally cost me $560. Since we don't feed any treats other than their kibble, and were home with the two dogs the entire weekend, we are certain it was the kibble and not another source. I can only speculate what the issue in the food is, but I'm keeping the kibble around in the event I can have it tested or send a sample to Blue Buffalo. After reading other recent reviews, it looks like other customers are having similar problems. Please do not buy this food until Blue Buffalo announces a resolution to this issue.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

Our 8 yr. old GSD was on BB Salmon Dry food for a long time. In August 2013 we found that she had pancreatic cancer.....very rare in GS dogs. For about 10 days we fed her every 2 hours around the clock to keep her blood sugar up. 2 weeks after we found out she had developed cancer, we had to put her down. I am wondering now if it was the food she was eating....she was only 9 yrs. old.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

I could tell when I opened the blue bag of Blue Buffalo Weight Management/Indoor dry for cats that it had been changed. Visually the food looks different, the pellets are smaller than before. My 10-year-old has eaten this food for a several years now, as well as Fancy Feast in the evening. Over the weekend, she has developed bad diarrhea. She will still eat some of the Fancy Feast, but will not touch this dry food. She seems to know which one is causing the problem. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow. I hope the food is not flat-out POISONED like the Iams situation we had a few years ago, when many pets were lost.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

I have been feeding my 10yr Boxer/mix the Blue Basics Salmon and potato because he has a sensitive stomach and was always chewing on his feet. He has been on it for approx two weeks. I did a 7-day change over from Pedigree dog food I thought was too cheap and causing his problems. I researched dog foods and this came highly recommended so I thought I would spend the extra money on a new dog food. Since he has been on it, he poops a lot and it is getting softer and he drinks a ton of water! No diarrhea, but he has so much gas, farts all the time and man do they smell.

I noticed a slight tremor on his head the past two days, and he is lethargic. Yesterday he fell down the stairs and last night he lost his balance and peed himself. His blood work came back normal, urinalysis normal. I just fed him the Blue now and while researching causes I ran across this site. I am flabbergasted. I will stop the food today, I wish I hadn't just fed him, thought about making him throw it up. I will try making chicken and rice from now on, but in the meantime I have to now rule out brain tumor or dog food. This is so wrong!!! I don't have the receipt from Petsmart, all I have is the bag of food.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

Our 13 year old black lab has been on BB Fish and Sweet Potato for at least the past 4 years and has loved it. Six weeks ago he had his annual check up including blood tests. All was fine - no problems at all. Two weeks after his check up I noticed a lump on his belly that had suddenly appeared. Our vet removed it and sent it in for analysis. It was cancerous and our vet said it was an aggressive cancer. Our boy recovered just fine and then two weeks ago his health started slipping fast - being lethargic, depressed, etc and suddenly had no interest in eating his BB. We attributed it to the cancer.

We started mixing cottage cheese with his BB to get him to eat which he would but only if it was mixed with cottage cheese. Then we began to realize that he seemed fairly good until he ate dinner (BB with cottage cheese) then he would crash with no energy for the rest of the night. Today we gave him no BB but fed him Moist and Meaty instead. His energy level tonight is the best we have seen for the past 2-3 weeks. Not sure what to think but will continue with the Moist and Meaty. I will give an update in a week or so. Today was the first time to see this site and felt compelled to tell of our experience. Again, I can't say for sure but given the other posts, I am now very suspicious.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

We have been using Blue Buffalo Dry Food Senior for years with our older dogs, beagles. Our oldest passed last year from a tumor on his liver. He was 16, so we did not think much of; he had a happy life and no other major illnesses. 3 years ago, we rescued another beagle and started him on adult BB. He was 1 1/2 when we found him. About 3 weeks ago we woke up to our young one vomiting. It was all food and toy stuffing, apparently he had woken up and started to tear apart a toy and had eaten the stuffing. He vomited 5 times in 2 hours and wanted to lick everything in sight during this period.

Took him to the emergency vet because he was previously diagnosed as an epileptic and we were afraid it would trigger seizures. Blood and X-rays were normal, he did still have a lump of presumed to be stuffing in his stomach, however it was moving down. We were given anti-nausea medications and went him. Since then, he continues to try to lick everything in sight to bulk up so he can throw up, including his tail when we were not watching. He has had more blood, X-rays and ultrasounds done - all normal. He goes there during the week for daycare because we are afraid to leave him alone for fear if he is not allowed to lick up whatever he can, he will continue to chew himself. This has been like this for 2 1/2 weeks and the internist and the neurologist can't find anything.

The next step is to scope him to see if there is anything there. I am waiting for the vet to call to arrange this appointment and continued day care for next week when I decided to see if BB changed their formula because we have all hashed this out and there is nothing new or changed so I thought maybe this formula had changed. So I Googled BB formula change and this is the first site that came up. After reading these reviews, I think that it must be the food. I'm going to go with a chicken and rice diet for the next couple of days and see what happens. I think we will still have the scope done in the meantime just to rule out this last possibility that it could be something there but I will speak about the possibility that it is BB to the vet when she calls. They know he is on BB but that didn't bother them. So now this is my game plan and now we wait...

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

My puppy is thriving on Blue Buffalo! She transitioned from Science Diet at four (4) month which required a handful of the newly introduced dog food being mixed into the familiar dog food. She's strong and active with a beautiful coat. Her stools are consistently solid and she is eating twice a day and having bowel movements 2-3 times per day.

Perhaps some of the folks 'switching' between flavors are doing so abruptly (and dogs cannot handle a quick transition of their daily diet - even among the same brand). It seems a bit staged/peculiar that I'm reading almost daily reports from October 7 - November 4th bashing Blue Buffalo. Was an alert from Consumer Affairs sent out prompting any bad experiences from Blue Buffalo? No. Attributing a dog's death to Blue Buffalo is pretty serious. Those owners writing in from October 7th - November 4th (NOTE THE CONSISTENT CHAIN DURING THAT PERIOD) may have detected their dog's 'ailments' earlier with some visits to the vet. These seem to report their animal getting sick out of the blue (either immediately after switching blends or after several years of use) with some dying. Be encouraged to read reviews outside of this website.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

Recently Blue Buffalo announced that some ingredients sourced by them from the Texas facility of supplier Wilbur-Ellis contained poultry by-product meal. This contradicts Blues product labels and advertising claims that its products do not have these ingredients. This is misleading consumers who are trusting them to be concerned for their pets well being. Shame on them!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

We have 2 almost six year old Yorkies. They have been eating Blue Buffalo since they were born. We kept them on the food based on the recommendations of the people we got the dogs from. A few months ago, I read some negative press about BB, but ignored it because our dogs were healthy. I purchased a bag of senior food on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 from Petco. On Monday November 3rd, Zeek slept in. He is usually up, as soon as our 3 year old is up. I let he and his brother outside, but Zeek did not go down the stairs to do his business. He came in and brushed up against my 3 year old and just cried.

I went to touch him and he cried again, something was definitely wrong. I immediately called the vet and took him in. He was panting, shaking and salivating. He acted as if he were suffering from paralysis. Scared me to tears. The doctor did X-rays and a complete blood work up and there was nothing. We were sent home with a hefty vet bill, some muscle relaxers and pain meds. He continued like this for 2-3 days and started acting like himself, but had not eaten much. Today, he exhibited the same symptoms only after he has eaten his food. I convinced his food is bad and causing his sickness. I will be throwing out a $55 bin of food.. Never to purchase again. Please stop hurting our four legged family members.

Resolution response: March 1, 2015

After trying other brands & bombing out (cat either would not eat it or was allergic with skin itching), I saw Blue Buffalo had a new product, BB Basics Duck dry cat food, so I got it. Cat liked it & didn't get sick, but his skin itched (allergic). So, after that bag ran out, I bravely went back to BBB Turkey & Potato (dry), hoping the situation was fixed. YEA!!! My cat loves it, and no diarrhea!! Also, his coat is smooth and shiny again! A note to dear Blue Buffalo: Thank you for fixing the problem - please be careful - my kitty & I really need and appreciate your cat food! I recommend this cat food, but mistakes do happen.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

Have been feeding my cat BB Basics dry 2 yrs. Happy with it & cat did well. Then he got diarrhea. Vet gave Flagyl & probiotics, but it did not help. I found this site & stopped the BBB dry & Flagyl, & just gave the probiotics & canned food. He immediately got better. The bag of dry food BBB had a "lighter color" and I was worried they changed their formula or changed ownership (they did not change ownership). Just read that one of BB suppliers gave them an ingredient with by products (chicken meal), and Purina is suing BB! BB claims to not have known about it, and is stopping this ingredient. Could that be the cause of my cat's diarrhea?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

Last Sunday, I opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo puppy food. This food looked different than the food I had been feeding my dog. The next day, my 7 month old 6lb shorkie had soft stools and diarrhea. This has been going on for 6 days now. I am in the process of switching his food over to Natures Valley Instinct Raw Boost food. I will never buy Blue Buffalo food or treats again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I have used BB since bringing our pup home nearly 10 months ago. At first I was so happy with how well he ate, even talked my mom to switching her dogs with no problems. But the last bag I bought at our local Tractor Supply was powdery and crushed. But still had some whole pieces. The dogs didn't want to, but eventually ate it. That's when the foamy mouth and vomiting and diarrhea started. I thought we just got a bad batch and bought more. It was not crushed or powdery but dogs still did not want it. Still showing symptoms and my mom's old English swelled to the point like he would burst after one small feeding. They are supervised and contained so I know it's not trash eating. It has to be the BB. I feel horrible now for feeding my babies this. Never again. I will save my 500$ a month and keep my pets alive.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I've been feeding my two kittens a combo of Blue Wilderness, Fancy Feast, Natural Choice and Science Diet canned foods since they were 6 weeks old. They get a variety of chicken, turkey, ocean whitefish and salmon. Both of them are in excellent health and are growing like weeds. Now that they're 7 months old, I read these reviews and can't figure out why they have none of these medical problems mentioned. I don't believe a poisonous product would be sold in stores, so I'm stumped.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

We have fed our four dogs BB for the past year (2014). On November 3rd our oldest dog (14 yrs) became ill with vomiting and diarrhea. This was quickly followed by the same symptoms in our 9 year old and 7 year old dogs. When the youngest (3 years) started vomiting, we took them all to the vet. The oldest dog was so dehydrated, that she was kept overnight for IV fluids and meds. The others were treated at home. I went online to find out if BB has had any recent recalls. No recent recalls that I can find, but many others are experiencing the same problems that seem to be linked to this product.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

I decided to write a complaint after reading Tammy's comments about Anna. What a beautiful cat--- and, so young--- like my cat. Please read below:

My beloved Bobo Magic Panda bear, a five year old Norwegian Forest cat/ Oriental mix, died on Monday, October 27, 2014. He had been fed BB Sensitive Stomach dry cat food since I adopted him from the local humane society, along with Fancy Feast can food daily. I was shocked that I took him to the vet to get well... not to die. Bobo had no pre-existing conditions since he was a kitten..... perfect health. Well, until about one month before he died. Bobo started running in and out of the litter box, along with looking for anywhere to pee in the house. This was not his normal behavior. I took him to the vet immediately... was given antibiotics for an infection... and took him home.

Two weeks later we were back at the vet again. Same process-- antibiotics. The vet mentioned putting Bobo on CD and I commented about my dislike of corn, wheat and soy in dog/cat foods in the Science Diet foods at the vet office. Da, dumb me---I wasn't thinking it could be the BB dry cat food I had been feeding my magical Bobo. After the 2nd round of antibiotics wore off, I was back at the vet office because Bobo was not crying out in pain, not to mention he was throwing up. The vet kept him for the day (a Friday), cleared him out of any crystals, gave him fluids. I decided to take him home for the weekend with oral antibiotics.

That was my last weekend with my magical "Bobo Magic Pandabear. " Bobo was one of those male cats that can sit on your chest "just so..." and cause your blood pressure to go down... Bobo knew when I needed to zen out. He was so much more special than any words I could type here--- remember he was a Siamese mix.......I had to take the day off from work the day Bobo died because I was so angry. I am angry thinking that I had purchased the best dry cat food that I thought would keep Bobo with me into "old age" for both of us. I will be an advocate into finding out if it indeed was the BB Sensitive Stomach dry cat food that was his demise. Shame on you Blue Buffalo.... should that be the case.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

My poor cat Tybee is in the Emergency Vet now for 3 days with a catheter. He had a urinary blockage and couldn't urinate. This is a very serious condition and he might not make it. I have had several conversations with more than 1 vet about this. They told me that the food is the problem. I protested and defended Blue Buffalo (Wilderness) food saying it was a good, grain-free food. Yesterday after another talk with the vet treating my cat, I was convinced the food is the problem. She said they have seen several cases like this from cats who eat Blue Buffalo food. Tybee had been throwing up for almost a week before we noticed the urinary problem. I have another female cat so last night, I returned all the unopened Blue canned and dry food I had. I had just bought them a few days ago and luckily hadn't opened them. The food I was using was the Blue Wilderness grain-free dry and an occasional can of their wet food.

For the last year I had been combining the Weight Control with the Indoor to try and compensate for my female who is overweight and male who is skinny. They are brother and sister cats and are 4 years old. This last month I was using the Weight Control combined with the Salmon Formula. We also gave them the Blue canned food on occasion all varieties and the Blue Treats. I believe my boy got sick originally from the Salmon Treats. I only give treats about once/week and after opening the bag and giving them the treats, the vomiting started. I am saving the treats and unused food for evidence.

So yesterday I call my sister in Georgia to warn her about the cat food. Guess what...her older female cat is sick with a UTI and the vet said the Blue Buffalo food is the problem. She also argued with him defending the food. He said the smaller companies just don't do enough testing of their food. Both our vets recommend Hill's Science Diet Urinary formula and my vet said the Royal Canin is also a good choice. So I am switching immediately and just called my Mom to tell her to get her dog off the food too. I am so upset and mad at Blue Buffalo right now. I will be telling everyone about this and hope to save other pets and owners from going through what we are right now. Please pray for my boy Tybee to get through this...and by the way the vet bill is $2,000 so far.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

I have read previous complaints and want all people reading this review to know how honest and genuine this post is.... Beware of this pet food! I feel awful right now, like I poisoned my kittens. On Friday Oct 31, 2014 I purchased 5 cans of Blue Wilderness kitten food from PetCo. I am writing this review on Wednesday November 5th. Since my purchase, the kittens have consumed a total of two and a half cans of the wet kitty food (half can mixed with dry food different brand in PM). This morning I noticed a single drop of blood on the ground. Closer exam confirmed blood with mucous. Saw kitten go the bathroom and what ran out of his backside shocked me. A tan, loose substance with blood in it.

Immediately I called the vet, brought kitten and stool sample. Vet confirmed stool was without parasite and prescribed an antibiotic for a possible stomach infection. Upon getting home, I feed the kittens (fortunately NOT BB) and both ran to bathroom after eating. Now I saw my other kitten with the same stool, no blood. Grabbed that stool, returned to vet for exam. Again sample without parasite. Speaking with the vet they asked about diet and whether I had changed their diet. I thought nothing of the different brand of food, but mentioned that both kittens have had excessive thirst over the past few days.....I mean they just keep drinking water.

After my two trips to the vet today, and two traumatized kittens, It occurred to me that maybe I should google this new brand of food. What popped up on google MORTIFIED me. All of these reviews mention exactly what is happening with my kittens, thirst, diarrhea, bloody stool. After 2 1/2 cans shared by the kittens. Good grief! What could possibly be in this food??? Everyone, please be aware of the potential problems with this brand. I feel just awful, like I poisoned my kittens. Why is this brand allowed to continue selling this? I spent $125 at the vet today, but finding out that the cause is this cat food is worth every penny. And PetCo is going to hear about this tomorrow. Shame on anyone involved with this food.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

I have a pet charity I founded almost 30 years ago and have been using Blue for a few years now. In an effort to research possible causes for seizures to help one of our rescues, I learned that Rosemary extract (which Blue uses in all of their kibble) is a neurotoxin which can cause seizures. The phone number on their bags and website just rings and there is no way I found to speak to anyone. I also sent emails. Over a week later I did get a hold of someone who could not offer any information on the safety of Rosemary. For a company that seems to now be spending so much on advertising, one would hope they would be as eager to offer decent customer support. It is no wonder discerning stores like Pet Food Express are pulling Blue from their inventory. I returned my last bag. The fact that they also didn't offer any perks for non profit pet charities doesn't help much either, but we were willing to pay top dollar for the best food that our dogs would eat. We have switched to Natural Balance (very rescue friendly) and 1st Mate (grain free and no rosemary extract).

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

I am disturbed after reading the other recent posts. I have two dogs - a lab mix and a shepherd mix. I have been feeding the Blue Wilderness Chicken Recipe for about a year now with no problems. However, about 2 or 3 weeks ago, each of them began vomiting and having diarrhea within two days of each other. I thought it may be a virus of some sort but threw their food out anyway and put them on rice and chicken. I just bought another huge bag of the Chicken Recipe formula a couple of days ago and tonight the lab got sick again in the same way-- vomiting and diarrhea. After reading these posts I am afraid it may be the food and am throwing it out immediately. I already wrote the company but wanted to let others know this is happening.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

I bought my Bulldog 2 years ago. From the beginning, I purchased high end dog food for her. She was a wonderful dog. I maintained her healthy weight by feeding her 1 cup of dry dog food twice a day. She grew to a healthy 50 lbs. After 1 year, I gradually switched to Blue Buffalo dog food as I saw an ad on TV promoting the benefits of this type of food. Izzy begin to cough up in the evening after we went to bed. Every morning I found a pile of regurgitated dog food. I thought she just was getting into something outside or from one of her doggy toys. I took all her toys away. Her vomiting continued and then she began having butt rubbing on the floor. I took her to the vet, who said she had rectal glands clogged up. We medicated her for this. It seemed to help some, but not completely.

The last days of her life were vomiting, constantly needing to go out and pee but she wouldn't pee much. We took her to the vet again, who put her on IV and said that her kidneys were shutting down. She had to stay overnight. I was called that night to come down as she was not going to make it. She passed away in my lap and now is in a better place with no more suffering. I am heartbroken and have lost my best friend. I am angry with this company for promoting quality dog food that clearly has made many animals ill, suffer and in my case death. Do not use this product.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

Our 4 year old black lab has eaten blue buffalo her entire life without issues. Two weeks ago we purchased a new bag at petsmart and our Hurley was hesitant to eat it (& she's a hefty eater). She finally gave in and ate about four/five servings of food. Over the next week she began pooping mucousy muck, spinning her bottom on the carpet, drinking an extreme amount of water, wheezing & dry heaving and having accidents on the carpet (which hasn't happened in yrs)!! I took her to the vet last Monday and our vet found nothing and said it was a gastrointestinal upset. He told me that if she didn't feel better to bring her back in a week for more tests. Well she felt better for about 3 days but still had an aversion to the blue buffalo, eating only small amounts here and there. Thinking she basically had a stomach ache we continued to try and get her to eat BB.

When she finally gave in and ate she again started with all the symptoms above and then became lethargic and would barely move. In fact we took her for a walk and had to carry her home. :( At this point we decided to rush her back to the vet. As we were making the necessary calls Hurley stopped breathing and passed away. The vet attributes her death to some sort of toxicity. I have to say that everything was fine until this last batch of BB which is what persuaded me to look for recall info. I'm absolutely mortified to see so many pets with her symptoms! I am extremely upset that BB is putting out a product claiming it to be superior when it fact it's killing our pets. There is a definite cause for concern and action! BB needs to take a hard and thorough look at what's changed with their food and correct whatever is causing the illness and death!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

I started my Corgi puppy on Blue Puppy Dry Food 1 month ago. I did a slow transition onto this food. My puppy started losing weight and had constant diarrhea. I was feeding him the maximum amount (to try to put weight on him) spread over 3 meals and he would have diarrhea at least 5-7 times a day. He would also drink the entire bowl of water when drinking, never just a small drink. It was just running through him without any nutritional absorption. I bought a new food today and pray it works for him. For this price tag, I was expecting much more.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

I had switched to BB since my Pom/Chi seemed to have a food allergy and was told this was good for such. I am no longer employed and tried to switch to Rachel Ray's brand. Within a week my pom started w/ diarrhea then bloody diarrhea. No money for a vet and talked w/ a rep from BB at Petsmart said that I should switch to BB small breed lamb. I did so and she got better. My Pom is 4 yrs old and it has me concerned. I am now trying to introduce her to a grain free Petsmart brand Simply Nourish. I don't like the idea that something could be formulated to keep you locked into one specific brand.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

This summer one of Pugs got very sick, head ticks, and vomiting, and diarrhea. We waited till the morning called our vet and took him in. They suggested we bring him to an Emergency Animal Hospital in the area. After 4 days of treatment going from Emergency vets to Neurologist and back, our Pug was put to sleep.This cost was over 5 thousand dollars. Early Sept. we took a trip Wa state to visit our oldest daughter and family, and we took our other pug. After two weeks there our second pug became ill, could not walk, could not keep his balance, had eye ticks (eyes twitching) vomiting and diarrhea.

We immediately took him to a vet and he was treated by a vet who specialized in senior dogs (our pug was 11 years old). She treated him for the possibility of a middle ear infection, the diarrhea, and gave us an appetite enhancer. We put him on boiled rice and boiled chicken. After a week and a half he began eating walked better but still unstable and he looked like he had a stroke, his head fell tilted to the left. We also were informed he had crystals in his urine which can affect the brain. We now believe that our other pug that was put to sleep and suffered from similar condition and this pug were both sickened because of Blue Buffalo Senior food.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

A week after weaning my dog onto this food the liquid stools/diarrhea came along. All of a sudden he refused to eat the food. Switched back to what I had fed him before, and problems cease. Wish I had done more research before than taking word mouth. No animal should be put through what this food is doing to them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

Last year, my now 9 year old Pug Suzie had 10 bladder stones surgically removed. The veterinarian sold me a certain brand of dog food meant to prevent urinary tract infections and bladder stones that had grain in it. After researching on the web, I changed Suzie's diet to certain top rated grain-free dry dog food. When we moved, it was difficult to find the brand we started with, so a couple of months ago, we switched to BB Wilderness Salmon Diet. Every day Suzie wolfed down the BB food, barely chewing it. It seemed to be the best food she had ever eaten by her reaction.

When I recently purchased a second bag of the same, Suzie suddenly turned her nose up to the food when she came to her dish to eat. She would sniff the food a lot and hesitantly eat one mouthful, then walk away. This is highly unusual for a Pug that will eat anything and acts as if she were starving all the time. With much coaxing she would come back and very slowly eat the food. Each day she took longer and longer to want to eat the food. The day before she was going to have surgery to have two cancerous skin tumors removed, she refused to eat her breakfast at all, so I worried she might have a tumor in her stomach.

The doctor said Suzie's appetite was excellent 24 hours after the surgery and when the hospital kept her one extra day for observation, Suzie kept voraciously eating anything they gave her. Suzie came home and again when I offered the BB Wilderness Salmon, she picked at it and walked away, coming back to eat slowly when we begged and coaxed her. Today she ate one mouthful of food and then refused to eat anymore at all. I called the BB company and asked if they were getting a lot of complaints about their food after I read the comments on this website. They said no and suggested I exchange the opened bag for a new one where I had purchase it, being careful the expiration date was different so I wouldn't get food from the same batch. I also chose a different flavor to see if my dog would eat it with more gusto.

The instant I put Suzie's bowl down with the BB Duck flavor, she ran over, sniffed it to see if it was the same old food, and very excitedly wolfed down the Duck diet. There must have been something wrong with the Salmon diet food that Suzie detected by smell that disgusted her. I could not see or smell anything wrong with it, but thought it might have been tainted by rodents at the factory. Just a guess.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2014

I have fed Bella, my 5 year old Yellow Lab, Blue Buffalo Life Protection Chicken & Rice Formula for the last 3 years without incident. The last bag purchased in September has me suspecting something is wrong with her food. At first, when she began having terrible gas, I never connected it with the food. Then, she began having bouts of terrible mucus filled diarrhea along with vomiting. Her energy level was completely down and she seemed somewhat depressed (I don't know if dogs get depressed). Initially I was figured she either got a little bug or ate some grass.

To ease her stomach, I gave her white rice and boiled chicken. Within a few days her vomiting and diarrhea cleared up and she seemed to be a little bit happier. I switched her back to her food and the symptoms returned with a vengeance. At that point, I knew something had to be wrong with the food. So I went online and found these reports. Now, I don't know if all of these are genuine, as some claim. But I do know what is happening to my baby. I went to the pet store that I purchased the food to ask for another brand until I could cook a big batch of homemade food for her. I discussed the recent happening and he mentioned that there was a voluntary recall only told to distributors. HOWEVER, I called Blue and they denied this. Perhaps the well intentioned kid saw something about the 2010 recall, I don't know.

What I do know is this. My dog was severely sick. Removal of Blue cleared her symptoms. I'm tempted to take her in to the vet to see if blood results come back normal and no permanent damage has been done. Blue is sending me a claim form which I will fill out in the hopes that whatever is wrong will be found. Other people also need to send them their information in order for a real investigation to be done. I still have the food and the bag. I ask that those of you who are posting or searching for answers do the same. PLEASE take the time to contact Blue and let's make a difference now to hopefully keep others from getting sick.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

I have a German short haired pointer puppy that I switched to the BB large breed puppy food. One day later he was barfing up his food and he has had diarrhea ever since and that was four days ago. All the food ended up on the floor in a pile of barf. I hate this because we all love our dogs and we want the best for them but when it's a problem with the "good" dog food that we get for them it hurts that we trusted them and they let us down and our dogs too. DON'T GET THIS TYPE OF FOOD.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

I have two indoor cats 7 and 8 years old. I have been feeding Blue Buffalo indoor Dry food along with Fancy Feast cans wet food their whole lives. The male cat was constantly drooling and had terrible dandruff. He finally developed cystitis. The female was extremely thin and constantly drank abnormal amounts of

water while her coat was sparse and dry and her skin was irritated. They both also frequently vomited the dry food. I took them off the Blue Buffalo dry food while keeping them both on the same Fancy Feast wet food. Within a week the male cat's cystitis had begun to clear up as well as his dandruff and drooling both were less. The female's coat and skin problems are also much better and she is gaining weight and no longer drinking water excessively. No other changes except removing BB and they both continue to improve. I will never buy this food again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

Last night I gave my sweet boy half a can of Blue Buffalo flaked fish dinner. Within 20 minutes he had puked it up, was retching, crouching with diarrhea and crying in pain. I sat with him for more than an hour until it seemed that he got it all out of his little body. I took him to the vet this morning and they were not at all surprised that it was Blue Buffalo food that made him sick. I am waiting for blood results, but as of now, I will never feed him any Blue Buffalo products ever again. If this is such a trend, this company needs to be shut down!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information