2.54/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1898 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

I had switched to BB since my Pom/Chi seemed to have a food allergy and was told this was good for such. I am no longer employed and tried to switch to Rachel Ray's brand. Within a week my pom started w/ diarrhea then bloody diarrhea. No money for a vet and talked w/ a rep from BB at Petsmart said that I should switch to BB small breed lamb. I did so and she got better. My Pom is 4 yrs old and it has me concerned. I am now trying to introduce her to a grain free Petsmart brand Simply Nourish. I don't like the idea that something could be formulated to keep you locked into one specific brand.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

This summer one of Pugs got very sick, head ticks, and vomiting, and diarrhea. We waited till the morning called our vet and took him in. They suggested we bring him to an Emergency Animal Hospital in the area. After 4 days of treatment going from Emergency vets to Neurologist and back, our Pug was put to sleep.This cost was over 5 thousand dollars. Early Sept. we took a trip Wa state to visit our oldest daughter and family, and we took our other pug. After two weeks there our second pug became ill, could not walk, could not keep his balance, had eye ticks (eyes twitching) vomiting and diarrhea.

We immediately took him to a vet and he was treated by a vet who specialized in senior dogs (our pug was 11 years old). She treated him for the possibility of a middle ear infection, the diarrhea, and gave us an appetite enhancer. We put him on boiled rice and boiled chicken. After a week and a half he began eating walked better but still unstable and he looked like he had a stroke, his head fell tilted to the left. We also were informed he had crystals in his urine which can affect the brain. We now believe that our other pug that was put to sleep and suffered from similar condition and this pug were both sickened because of Blue Buffalo Senior food.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

A week after weaning my dog onto this food the liquid stools/diarrhea came along. All of a sudden he refused to eat the food. Switched back to what I had fed him before, and problems cease. Wish I had done more research before than taking word mouth. No animal should be put through what this food is doing to them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

Last year, my now 9 year old Pug Suzie had 10 bladder stones surgically removed. The veterinarian sold me a certain brand of dog food meant to prevent urinary tract infections and bladder stones that had grain in it. After researching on the web, I changed Suzie's diet to certain top rated grain-free dry dog food. When we moved, it was difficult to find the brand we started with, so a couple of months ago, we switched to BB Wilderness Salmon Diet. Every day Suzie wolfed down the BB food, barely chewing it. It seemed to be the best food she had ever eaten by her reaction.

When I recently purchased a second bag of the same, Suzie suddenly turned her nose up to the food when she came to her dish to eat. She would sniff the food a lot and hesitantly eat one mouthful, then walk away. This is highly unusual for a Pug that will eat anything and acts as if she were starving all the time. With much coaxing she would come back and very slowly eat the food. Each day she took longer and longer to want to eat the food. The day before she was going to have surgery to have two cancerous skin tumors removed, she refused to eat her breakfast at all, so I worried she might have a tumor in her stomach.

The doctor said Suzie's appetite was excellent 24 hours after the surgery and when the hospital kept her one extra day for observation, Suzie kept voraciously eating anything they gave her. Suzie came home and again when I offered the BB Wilderness Salmon, she picked at it and walked away, coming back to eat slowly when we begged and coaxed her. Today she ate one mouthful of food and then refused to eat anymore at all. I called the BB company and asked if they were getting a lot of complaints about their food after I read the comments on this website. They said no and suggested I exchange the opened bag for a new one where I had purchase it, being careful the expiration date was different so I wouldn't get food from the same batch. I also chose a different flavor to see if my dog would eat it with more gusto.

The instant I put Suzie's bowl down with the BB Duck flavor, she ran over, sniffed it to see if it was the same old food, and very excitedly wolfed down the Duck diet. There must have been something wrong with the Salmon diet food that Suzie detected by smell that disgusted her. I could not see or smell anything wrong with it, but thought it might have been tainted by rodents at the factory. Just a guess.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2014

I have fed Bella, my 5 year old Yellow Lab, Blue Buffalo Life Protection Chicken & Rice Formula for the last 3 years without incident. The last bag purchased in September has me suspecting something is wrong with her food. At first, when she began having terrible gas, I never connected it with the food. Then, she began having bouts of terrible mucus filled diarrhea along with vomiting. Her energy level was completely down and she seemed somewhat depressed (I don't know if dogs get depressed). Initially I was figured she either got a little bug or ate some grass.

To ease her stomach, I gave her white rice and boiled chicken. Within a few days her vomiting and diarrhea cleared up and she seemed to be a little bit happier. I switched her back to her food and the symptoms returned with a vengeance. At that point, I knew something had to be wrong with the food. So I went online and found these reports. Now, I don't know if all of these are genuine, as some claim. But I do know what is happening to my baby. I went to the pet store that I purchased the food to ask for another brand until I could cook a big batch of homemade food for her. I discussed the recent happening and he mentioned that there was a voluntary recall only told to distributors. HOWEVER, I called Blue and they denied this. Perhaps the well intentioned kid saw something about the 2010 recall, I don't know.

What I do know is this. My dog was severely sick. Removal of Blue cleared her symptoms. I'm tempted to take her in to the vet to see if blood results come back normal and no permanent damage has been done. Blue is sending me a claim form which I will fill out in the hopes that whatever is wrong will be found. Other people also need to send them their information in order for a real investigation to be done. I still have the food and the bag. I ask that those of you who are posting or searching for answers do the same. PLEASE take the time to contact Blue and let's make a difference now to hopefully keep others from getting sick.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

I have a German short haired pointer puppy that I switched to the BB large breed puppy food. One day later he was barfing up his food and he has had diarrhea ever since and that was four days ago. All the food ended up on the floor in a pile of barf. I hate this because we all love our dogs and we want the best for them but when it's a problem with the "good" dog food that we get for them it hurts that we trusted them and they let us down and our dogs too. DON'T GET THIS TYPE OF FOOD.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

I have two indoor cats 7 and 8 years old. I have been feeding Blue Buffalo indoor Dry food along with Fancy Feast cans wet food their whole lives. The male cat was constantly drooling and had terrible dandruff. He finally developed cystitis. The female was extremely thin and constantly drank abnormal amounts of

water while her coat was sparse and dry and her skin was irritated. They both also frequently vomited the dry food. I took them off the Blue Buffalo dry food while keeping them both on the same Fancy Feast wet food. Within a week the male cat's cystitis had begun to clear up as well as his dandruff and drooling both were less. The female's coat and skin problems are also much better and she is gaining weight and no longer drinking water excessively. No other changes except removing BB and they both continue to improve. I will never buy this food again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

Last night I gave my sweet boy half a can of Blue Buffalo flaked fish dinner. Within 20 minutes he had puked it up, was retching, crouching with diarrhea and crying in pain. I sat with him for more than an hour until it seemed that he got it all out of his little body. I took him to the vet this morning and they were not at all surprised that it was Blue Buffalo food that made him sick. I am waiting for blood results, but as of now, I will never feed him any Blue Buffalo products ever again. If this is such a trend, this company needs to be shut down!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

I've used Blue Buffalo dry for quite some time, mixing it with Fromms. I recently got some coupons from Blue Buffalo, one of which was for a free can of wet food. I opened it last night and it smelled a bit sour. I should have thrown it out then but it was well within the "Best By" date. Anyway, I always mix yogurt, beans, peas or carrots, a little "wet" food and some dry Blue Buffalo. This time for the first time I mixed a tablespoon of the Blue Buffalo wet food.

This morning my beagle was extremely sick, having vomited all over the floor. Later that morning he had a bad case of diarrhea. I truly have to think it was the wet Blue Buffalo because of the smell and that was all that was different. The bottom of the can says BEST BY APR 14 17 21:49 X 62XH51. I sent the information to Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

We have two dogs. Previously just 1 American Bully who we started on BB brand per Petco's recommendation. He was fine up until recently. Our second puppy (mini schnoodle) is just new to the family, has been with us about a month. We noticed our Bully (10 mos) was having frequent loose stools and sometimes worse than others but attributed it to him sniffing and eating something he wasn't supposed to as puppies sometimes do. The schnoodle transitioned to BB puppy food fine. This last bag (the largest) we bought at Petco three weeks ago has caused both dogs to vomit immediately after eating the first batch. My Bully began wheezing and dry heaving and vomiting a yellowish white foam for a day straight.

The schnoodle has unlearned all of his crate training because he pees and poops uncontrollably. His stools are mucousy and runny. My Bully's are the same. I kept telling my husband that it had to be the food! He was not convinced until I found this site. BB is killing animals and may have ruined ours. My Bully has a knot that feels like a tumor that just randomly appeared in the last week. We are stopping this food immediately! We'll do rice and chicken until their tummies settle. Hopefully that works. I truly feel bad for all who've lost animals to this obvious negligence. I hope that my dogs survive this.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

I got my puppy, Dale, eight weeks old, a couple weeks ago. I bought a small 6 lbs bag of BB small breed puppy chicken and oatmeal exactly a week ago. As soon as I brought it home and gave it to him he chowed down and acted like he loved it. The bag recommends only giving him 1/2 cup a day since he is only 5-10 lbs. What's odd though is he acted like he was starving every time I went to give him a scoop, and would barely let me even get it out of my hand so I've been giving him just a little bit more the past couple days and this morning I woke up to a couple piles of watery mucous looking poop, almost like a tan-clear color.

He's not potty trained yet so there was some normal piles than you could see a pile where it was starting to turn watery than a pile where it was ALL mucous. Dale is a full blood pug and I know they have allergies real bad so at first that's what I thought until I read these reviews. It looks like it's probably the food itself, not just an allergy to it. He won't eat or drink now and is super lazy and won't even follow me around or try to chew on my shoes (he's in that stage). I am pissed at this point. I was told at PetSmart BB is a good all natural food for small dogs and the girl even said she has a Pomeranian that absolutely loves it. I guess it's my own fault for not doing any research until now. I just trusted the store that has this crap on its shelves.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

They will probably remove this as soon as they read it since I'm not here to bash a food or try to scare people away from a certain brand, but here goes. I do a TON of rescue work and this is totally my go to food. I have NEVER had an issue with any of the different formulas I have tried. I was surprised to see so many negative reviews on here, but when I read them, it suddenly made sense. I've seen tons of people complaining about almost the exact same thing. At 1st they start off with the puppy food which is chicken and rice and the puppy does really well. But when the dog reaches a year old, or a year and a half they swap to adult food, SALMON adult food. No wonder they have problems! They got the puppy's system really settled onto chicken, chicken and more chicken, then suddenly throw a ton of salmon at him. They are already changing the formula a bit going from puppy to adult, why would you also swap what meat protein they are eating at the exact same time?

Dogs (and cats) are well known for developing sensitivities or even outright allergies to different meat proteins, that's why they make LID food to begin with! Knowing that, if you fed nothing but chicken as a puppy, why would you suddenly swap it completely when you transition to adult food? It's not like they don't make the exact same thing as an adult formula too.....

Original review: Oct. 23, 2014

I switched my dog (a toy australian shepherd 1 year old) over to blue buffalo wilderness with red meat a little over 2 weeks ago. She was fine for about the first 3 days then began having horrible diarrhea. I took her to the vet & was told nothing was wrong & we should give antibiotics & our dog should be fine. So we took her home & fasted for 24hrs then began introducing the food again. During the fast the diarrhea seemed to clear up until we introduced the food again! We decided to switch her back to her old food. The diarrhea again stopped. I think that there is a connection between Blue Buffalo & all the sick dogs out there! For everyone who has had the same problems or worse please contact Blue Buffalo so we can put an end to the sick dogs! Call 1-800-919-2833, they got back to when I left a message & want to make sure the dogs are okay, but they cannot do anything unless we all report what is happening to them, not just posting about it on the Internet! Help other dogs (:

Original review: Oct. 21, 2014

I'm greatly concerned that I can find no posts or internet info on contemporary actions by Blue Buffalo, that would address what seem to be numerous and common complaints. The only recall addressed (that I've been able to find) was one concerning an excess of Vitamin D in three of Blue Buffalo's formulas back in 2010. There seems to be a weighty preponderance of anecdotal evidence amassing that there may be a more current issue to be addressed.

We've been feeding our adopted Maltese mix BB's Natural Chicken & Brown Rice for Small Breed Adults for about two years. She has always been enthusiastic at mealtime, but has seemed a little hesitant at the most recent 6 pound bag, thus the impetus for my online research. She hasn't manifest any of the urinary or stool issues described, but since a number of the complaints here mention her type of food, it's cause for concern, and Blue's apparent silence only amplifies my concern.

The bag label purports to be "Manufactured in the U.S.A.", but many of the posts here hint at recent change in BB's ownership. I don't want to overreact, but could they be outsourcing beyond their ability to adequately control quality? This brand's ads and prices give the expectation of a superior product, so their customer relations should be able to support that expectation; or expect to lose their brand integrity, no matter how polished or prolific their ads are.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

I had heard such good things about Blue Buffalo cat food, and the sensitive stomach one in particular. So, I decided to try it with my cats. I mixed it in so it was only 1/4 of the amount of food I was giving (quality dry foods). Within hours of eating the food with the BB mixed in, one of my cats started having issues, going in and out of the litter box repeatedly. Now I'm fasting her and hoping her system settles down soon since she only got the food for 2 days before I realized it was the cause. Nothing else had changed, she's a strictly indoor cat, and has no access to medicines, garbage, or chemicals because I'm extremely careful about that.

I'm calling my vet first thing in the morning to get her checked out. Hopefully, all will come back fine and she'll just need to have bland foods for a few days then back to her old diet. I'm definitely returning the food to the store, too! It's always a good idea to keep receipts for things like this, just in case. I'm also going to warn everyone I know about this food. It's shameful that a supposedly premium food would make cats and dogs sick!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

We thought that our 1 yr old dog was coming down with a virus or something when she started vomiting bile and having mucousy diarrhea. She was on their Rice & Chicken Puppy food purchased from Fleet Farm (and has been on it since she was 7 weeks old). Two days of rice water to thicken the stools, several days of rice and chicken diet to ease her stomach and then onto Blue Buffalo Basics (sensitive) Turkey & Potato Puppy to transition back to solids. The Basics sensitive variety is not available at Fleet Farm so I've gotten that at Pet Smart. After completing half the bag of Basics, I tried to transition her back onto the regular Puppy and she started getting sick again.

By this time, she had completed that original bag of Puppy BB that she seemed to be "sensitive or allergic" to, as I thought, so I got another bag of the Basics. The Basics sensitive line still worked okay for her. We've also used several canned BB foods lately that seemed to be okay. Recently, I bought another bag of Puppy BB Rice and Chicken, this time from Pet Smart, to try it again. This was before being made aware of this contamination situation (by a friend whose dog just died this week from a massive tumor growth that she links to BB). Assuming our dog might have sensitivities again, I mixed her foods off even slower, but once we got toward the 75/25 ratio with the regular Puppy chicken rice vs Basic sensitive turkey potato, she started getting loose stools again and has even had two peeing messes in the house which NEVER happens. She's on the Basics again and doing fine. All told, two BAD bags of Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken and Rice, and two GOOD bags of Blue Buffalo Basics (Sensitive) Turkey and Potato for Puppies.

After reading the reviews, I'm quite certain it's not our dog...it's the food! Loose mucousy stools, vomiting bile, coughing, wheezing (vet verified it wasn't kennel cough), house peeing accidents. Thankfully, she didn't seem to have the lethargy or tumors that other dogs have had...at least not that we know of, yet. I'm disgusted by Blue's failure to acknowledge their mistake... They said their company that supplies chicken mislabeled their chicken so Blue wasn't aware that it had chicken-byproduct in it, but they very clearly stated that it would still be fine and wouldn't affect the health of the animals. Byproduct should be okay... something else is in here and that poor company became the scapegoat over a minor accident. Blue ended their relationship with that company since they had an error and accidentally got some byproduct in their chicken.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2014

We had been advised by a Pet Smart associate that Blue Buffalo was the best dog food for our growing golden retriever puppy. We switched over to the Blue Buffalo salmon, grain free large breed dog food. First she avoided it, then within 4 days began puking bile. Thought maybe the mixed food to switch her over to this new food was doing it so just fed her the Blue Buffalo. Her puking worsened in frequency. We switched her off the Blue Buffalo & she's been fine ever since. I'd always believed Blue Buffalo was a superb product, so I hope you find the cause & fix it before too many dog illnesses, deaths & unhappy customers.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2014

This past Saturday my beloved 3 year old Siamese Anna passed away. She began throwing up in the morning somewhere around 7 AM. She first emptied her stomach of the Blue Buffalo cat food she loved, ate all the time, and that we thought was healthy for our pets. She was diagnosed that day with pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis. Her glucose level was 300. She was sick every 5 to 10 minutes at first with increasing frequency until it was green foam - filled with bile. She was hospitalized and I expected her to get better by Monday, but a little after 5 PM they called me to tell me she arrested when she attempted to vomit again.

After her passing I began to research to see how she could die so quickly and easily. Then I found article after article of pets developing pancreatitis from Blue Buffalo after the company was sold, and subpar ingredients such as carrageenan being purchased from China and added to our pets' food. I trusted Blue Buffalo. I am furious. When will our country do something to stop what I feel amounts to murder when we knowingly allow American companies to purchase and use products that are detrimental to our pets. They don't have a voice, and they rely on us to speak up for them.

I truly believe that if it wasn't for Blue Buffalo cat food, a product I specifically purchased because I believed it to be free of Chinese products, my Anna would be here today. You have no idea how personable she was, and how she looked at you with all the love of her heart shining through her eyes. She was just three years old. That cat food robbed her of the rest of her life that she deserved.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2014

Just bought a new bag of Blue Buffalo brown rice and chicken on October 11, 2014 and my 13 month old Keeshond only ate a little bit of the first meal from it and won't eat it again. He got a bout of diarrhea from the first feeding of it but won't touch it again. I thought he wasn't feeling well so I tried mixing it with brown rice which often works but he won't touch it. Of course I emptied that 65 dollar bag of food into a sealable bin and threw away the bag but I am more worried about the dog. This should not be that difficult for companies to make food that does not make dogs sick, maybe there needs to be better regulation. My dog is a hearty eater and clearly something is wrong here.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2014

I have two cats. Smokey is a seven year old DSH/Russian Blue mix and Layla is a one year old tortie. Smokey has been having issues with vomiting and loose stools lately. I took him to the vet the day after the loose stool started, and the vet said he had a serious cavity. After looking up online, I learned that these can be symptoms of a cavity. I decided to try switching to Blue Buffalo canned to hopefully help with his symptoms. They are eating Iams Naturals chicken dry food (free-fed), and Friskies breakfast canned food in the morning and I tried Blue Buffalo canned food at night. Every time Smokey has had any kind of BB canned food, about 20 minutes later he is violently vomiting and has horrible gas. Layla seems to be fine. I am returning all of the BB canned food tomorrow and switching to another brand. The only thing that is different is the BB canned food. He is completely fine with every other brand so I know the only change is this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2014

I've been feeding my two male Pomeranians Blue Buffalo puppy food since 8 weeks old. All was well. They are now approaching 1 1/2 years old. I couldn't get the usual food at the store so I grabbed a bag of BB small bread healthy weight. Both dogs refused the food at first. I figured they just needed time to adjust. Eventually they gave in and ate the food. Everything seemed normal for about a week, until I noticed some stool variations that were unusual. Again, I attributed this to the food change.

At about 2 weeks in, I noticed one of the Poms having a sort of neurological tremor in his lower jaw along with foaming salivation. I was immediately concerned and watched the dog carefully. The symptoms suddenly stopped. 2 1/2 weeks in I noticed the same dog had urinated an odd color. That same night he urinated what seemed to be pure blood. He was taken to the vet the next day for a urine analysis expecting to find some sort of bacterial infection. Worse than that his blood count was 50% less than a normal reading. His prostate was swollen and he was having obvious painful urination. The vet was perplexed by these symptoms.

When the UA came back negative I knew I had real trouble. This 1 1/2 year old puppy is now fighting for his life with some type of toxicity that was introduced to his system. This unknown toxin has created an anemia or auto immune problem. Teddy was 12 pounds on Monday and 11 pounds on Tuesday and losing blood on each urination. The vet put him on prednisone and stopped the blood within approx. 24 hours. I thought that would be a great turning point. The following day I ran another blood count at the vet and Teddy dropped another 5 points. The dog is seemingly losing the fight.

I come home tonight to find my other (had been) perfectly healthy Pom with a foaming saliva and lower jaw tremors. I INSTANTLY recognized the connection with the food which I had discounted earlier as the other dog was just fine. I truly believe that this food is toxic. What are the chances of two perfectly healthy dogs showing neurological issues in the same week? These dogs are from different litters. The vet also asked a lot of questions about food and toxicity. Now I come to this site to become horrified by the other very recent complaints about the same product.

This is disgraceful behavior of ** corporate policies that care only about profit. These people have NO regard for the lives of our animals. For God sake: They poison humans with GMO food and fluoride in our water and toothpaste and tell you it's good for you. I'm sick to my stomach at this point. These dogs are part of our family. They have been taken care of to the best of our ability and now we face losing them to a bad batch of Blue Buffalo. At this point I have taken the matter into my own hands and I am attempting to detox these dogs on my own. The vet said the next step for Teddy is a blood transfusion to keep him alive. I am already into this mess for $750.00 and rising.

Thank you to all the inept morons that work at Blue Buffalo. You have reduced your reputation to -0% with me and many others. I vow to expose your company for what it has done to my dogs and to all other dogs and families, including the pet store I bought this product in if they don't remove the food from the shelves tomorrow. I will notify them in writing and in person. Here are photos of Teddy's urine and stool.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

My American Bulldog turned 1 recently so I switched him from Blue Large Breed Puppy Chicken dry food to the Large Breed Wilderness Salmon. Big mistake I guess. Even with slowly introducing the new food... after 3 weeks, he won't eat, what he does eat he throws up. He's completely lethargic and has been crying. No diarrhea yet - thank goodness. I pay a lot of money every month on this brand that is supposed to be good for our beloved pets. I am very upset. Beware all buyers.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

After 4 years of buying Blue senior chicken and rice 30lb bag dog food... something changed with the last bag I purchased last week. Immediately after I bought it my dogs were both hesitant to eat it.. which I thought was strange. They did not touch it for over 24 hours which has never happened. My first suspicion was it was tainted with something. Dogs are very smart and have a great sense of smell. Then within hours of eating it both of my dogs had rumbling tummies and major diarrhea.

I have continued to feed it to them and the diarrhea has not stopped and they have no appetite and are acting like they are very sick. It looks like to me there may be some blood in their diarrhea also. I thought I would just look on the Internet to see if there was a food recall and i came across this consumer report and I was appalled to see all of these other reports of people having the same problems with the same dog food. I can guarantee you there is something wrong with this dog food, I have purchased it for years and never had an issue. This is way too much of a coincidence for this many people to have the same problem. I am going to call my hardware store where I purchased the food and let them know.

Unfortunately, I throw the bag away and I pour the food into an airtight plastic container so I probably will not be able to get a refund on this expensive dog food. Of course my next bag was free but I doubt I will be using my free bag of dog food. This totally sucks, both of my dogs are 13 and very old and I have purchased this dog food to help keep them healthy and now they are very sick. Shame on you Blue for endangering our pets and costing us us many dollars for the product and vet fees and carpet cleaning cost not to mention the pain and agony for the dogs. I hope you end up facing a lawsuit and have a class action lawsuit against you. I will be one testifying against you.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

I order from chewy.com. My dogs have been on BB limited ingredient and/or their Freedom Grain-Free. I received this new bag of natural beef recipe for dogs with LifeSource bits. The first day, my black lab/shar-pei/pit bull mix's face swelling up. I took her off the food immediately. Our other dog, a German Shepherd/shar-pei mix began having diarrhea and tummy rumblings. When Daisy got over the face swelling, we tried the food again and she began throwing up. Now, my dogs have rarely in the last six years had accidents in the house, but one dog vomited in the house and the other left a puddle of diarrhea. I gave this food a week since they both kept eating it. But am not feeding it to them anymore.

I would like to know where I can send it to have it tested. Our dogs are being poisoned obviously. Chewy gave me a refund but only asked that I donate the food to a shelter but I will not put other dogs at risk. Something is seriously wrong. I happened to have some canned Merrick brand dog food and the dogs' symptoms cleared up immediately.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

Blue Buffalo Basic Salmon - Have fed this for years, the last two bags, my dogs have been not wanting to eat and then started to throw up and having watery mustard stools. My poor babies tried to tell me it was bad! I will be taking it back to the store.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

I have 2 Labrador Retriever pups (5 months old) who have been on Blue Buffalo since I got them at 8 weeks. One of the pups has a more sensitive system than the other. He's had a few bouts of diarrhea and vomiting over the last 3 months. Vet checks have all been fine. My thought was maybe his treats weren't agreeing so I've switched those around. Not much change. The other pup, however, has had several bouts of gas since 8 weeks old and until today, no diarrhea or vomiting. (BTW, these issues never came up with our 9 year old lab who always ate blue buffalo life protection).

Yesterday, both pups developed horrible diarrhea (mucous-y & very runny). They seem fine otherwise. They eat BB Wilderness Puppy Chicken kibble and BB Wilderness Puppy Turkey & Chicken canned food (both grain free). They ALSO eat Bil*Jac Grain Free Soft Training Treats for Dogs. I'm trying to figure out which one is causing the problems. I'm going to report these incidents to both companies. I'm also going to call Petco and their vet to see if any other similar issues have been reported recently. As of today, I eliminated the BB canned food and the Bil*Jac treats. After reading others reports, I might eliminate the kibble too! Will report back once I know anything.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2014

I opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo Small Breed Healthy Weight kibble last Monday, October 6th to feed my two shelties, age 9 and 6. On Tuesday morning, I found vomit in the 9 year old's crate. He also had bloody diarrhea. He refused to eat his breakfast and dinner. On Wednesday, the 6 year old sheltie had the same symptoms. Both were taken to the vet who found no parasites, bacteria or viral cause for their conditions. They are on medication for nausea and diarrhea for 7 days. Both are on a bland diet of chicken and rice until their symptoms are gone. The vet thinks they ingested contaminated food. A younger sheltie in the house eats a different Blue Buffalo kibble formula and he has experienced no symptoms. I have called Blue Buffalo and left a message for them to call me. I will switch all three dog to a brand of kibble I can trust - either Purina or Iams, as I know they thoroughly test their ingredients and food in their own facilities.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2014

I had been feeding my Cocker Spaniel and Yorkie Blue Buffalo Senior Chicken and Rice canned food along with Life Protection Formula Senior Dry Food for the past 3 years with no issues. In fact they both became much healthier, leaner, and their coats improved greatly within a month of starting them on Blue. I should add I was also employed by Blue for a year so I was very familiar with their products as well as their corporate arrogance. I continued to buy Blue after leaving the company because I felt it was by far the highest quality product available. Approximately 6 weeks ago both of my babies started acting lethargic and both had terrible gas with explosive diarrhea and vomiting. I fed them a diet of chicken breasts and white rice for a little over a week and they were back to normal with solid stools and normal energy. I put them back on Blue and within 3 days they were having diarrhea and were both vomiting again.

I am done with Blue. I don't know if they changed their formula or decided to cheapen their ingredients to make more profit, their new manufacturing facility or what, but something changed dramatically. In the past when informed of ill pets, the message was clear that it was "something else" causing it such as pet parents feeding their pets unhealthy snacks in-between meals and the complaint was blown off. I have seen firsthand the effect Blue has had on my babies and there is no doubt it is due to the food. They need to investigate this and not ignore it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2014

I diligently researched the best Puppy food for my new Boxer. I found raving reviews on every site for Blue Buffalo. I purchased two 30 lbs. bags of life protection formula large breed puppy food from PetSmart. He has been on the food for almost a month now. He has diarrhea, horrible gas, stomach rumbling, growling, and watery goopy eyes. It has been hard getting him to even eat the food. I took him to the vet. The first thing she asked was what food we were feeding him. She confirmed my suspicions, it was his food. I thought I was paying top price for top quality, I guess I was wrong this time. All I can say is buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

I came to this site because my mother's friend's dogs had become sick and after talking with her vet, they decided Blue Buffalo was the cause. Knowing that we use Blue Buffalo (Healthy Weight Chicken and Rice) she was concerned for our pup and wanted me to do some research, which brought me here. After reading many of these reviews, and knowing that people mainly write reviews when something has gone wrong, I thought I should write a positive one since we have not had any issues. We have been feeding our three year old mutt, Dottie, Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula (chicken and rice) since she was around 6 months old with no issues. She does not love the small, black Life Protection bits, and often leaves several of them on the floor outside of her bowl, but what kid eats all of their veggies all the time? The only times she has been sick over the past few years, we could trace it back to eating garbage off the street (city life can be tough sometimes), cat food, or our friend's dog's food while we were on vacation. Every dog is different, and my heart goes out to those of you who have sick animals, but Blue Buffalo has worked just fine for us.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information