2.01/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

I was just casually looking for where Blue Buffalo was made and came across this link. I started reading what seemed to be a repetitive story for both cats and dogs, all of them made me so sad and a few of them brought tears to my eyes. I also started my three cats on BB indoor grain free dry food in chicken and seafood. They really didn't like either but I thought they would eventually eat it and it is suppose to be great for them. This past weekend my Cayenne kitty, who is never been sick and is always happy and hungry, began howling like I have never heard her before. If freaked us out! She threw-up a few times and then the dreaded litter box episode where she howled again. Diarrhea! I knew it was something she ate, but what the can food or dry? Or since I live in Florida was it a lizard?

I have always known the rice and pumpkin diet, it always makes them feel better. Then slowly introduce their regular food. She is now on a wet food diet with no dry for two days and is feeling better. I can now feel confident it is the dry food. Then I came across this. I just picked up the dry food and will be taking it back to Petsmart tomorrow. It cannot be a coincidence that all these pets are getting sick in the month of Nov. I am not taking any chances. Thanks Consumer Affairs. I would have never known if it was not for your site.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

So, I have a 5-year-old male rotty/shep mix. Took him to Vet for check up recent minor surgery. I was concerned cause he had lost weight (without trying). But Vet was happy with his weight since he had been overweight and we did work on bringing him down from 142 to 125-127 lbs. He was 122.98. Vet said well he's a big boy a good poop could be 3 lbs. I just listened, but in the back of my head it didn't sit right with me. In the meantime I did notice that he wasn't as excited to eat actually quite apprehensive which is very unusual, but still displaying that he was hungry. He became lethargic and again I thought well maybe it's the meds and antibiotics from the surgery. Although again in my gut feeling something was "OFF" about my lively, loving furbaby.

I opened a new bag of BB chicken & rice healthy weight large breed & canned food that I only mix a little in with the dry kibble. I had noticed he started having looser stool and thought that was odd since they have been so solid even after the surgery. Well 3 days after his post surgery visit he became violently ill foaming at the mouth and salivating like a rabid St. Bernard. We got him settled in the house for the night and I slept with him cause I was so worried he was gonna throw up again. He slept through the night and seemed better in the morning. We Went for our morning walk after I fed him only 1 cup of kibble and a little wet. He did seem lethargic and thankfully we can take him to work with us so I could watch him all day.

I fed him just about a 1/4 cup kibble rice & wet food a few hours later. In the mean time I called the vet and talk to Dr. He said just watch him and if he throws up again just bring him in. Well, I noticed he was salivating bad again and decided to take him home thinking he was holding his vomit til we got home in his own backyard. I got him in the car & he vomited in the back seat of the car. I immediately drove to the vet. They did an exam on him and everything was fine, and they said he probably just had a gastrointestinal upset and sent me home with special wet food to feed him that was easily digestible, and a shot to stop the vomit, and gave him fluids. I asked the vet "Well if he is sick, isn't better to let him vomit to get whatever it is out of his system?" He said yes and no. The no being it's very hard on them throwing up.

We went over all the possibilities of poisons, etc. that he may have gotten into. Even the Vet said he was surprised because I watch him like a hawk & don't let him smell too much while walking, and always very cautious with him. That night was the worst. He stayed in the yard for 5 hours salivating and I really freaked out when he started digging in the grass almost frantically and burying his face in the ground!! My dog was digging his own grave!!! I was flipping out. So 5 hours of not leaving his side I finally got him in the house and again slept with him all night. He finally ate at 5 am, and again at 8 am. I have only been giving him the food from the vet, chicken & rice I made.

Everyday he seems a little better, but still very lethargic. He is not drinking a lot of water, so I am feeding him ice cubes. He is going #1 & #2 now. It has been 72 hours since this started and I have been literally beating myself up and racking my brain to think back on what could have happened what could he have gotten into when I turned my head for a second?? Was it the new squeaky balls I just got him? Were they contaminated?? What could it be? Then I sitting on the couch tonight & it popped into my head. HIS FOOD, what if it's his food? How could it be? He has been on BB strictly for 4 years now with never an issue!

So, I do a BB recall search and this site pops up & I start reading all the same stories, symptoms, and reading the same shock & disbelief that it really can be the BB that is harming all of our beloved furbabies! I am appalled that BB has not come forward thus far and done a voluntary recall.. I am not taking any chances. I am not feeding him anymore & switching brands now!! And yes, I will be contacting BB direct, and yes I will be taking my baby to Vet in the morning for blood work just to make sure no serious damage has happened! :(

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

Blue Buffalo meat comes from China. Blue Buffalo dog food killed 2 of my dogs. There is not much more to write. This dog food has a high probability of making your dog sick and/or kill your dog.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

I had to put my baby down yesterday. About a month ago he was showing signs of Cushing's disease. Drinking excessively, having accidents in the house, and severe back leg weakness. After tests confirmed a pituitary mass, I wanted to give him what I thought was the best food to help him gain his strength back. I switched him to BB Wilderness Holistic, senior formula. He just turned 13 on the 12th of November, but he was still very strong and full of energy prior to the Cushing's. After about a week on the BB, he developed very loose stools. I started mixing rice and yogurt in with the BB to try to help him. The stools got looser and looser until he was passing nothing but water. He was getting weaker, and I knew he had to be dehydrated, so I brought him to the vet for fluids. She also sent him home with an antibiotic for whatever was causing the diarrhea.

Eventually he got so weak, he stopped eating. I was lucky to get him to eat a few pieces of roast beef or ham. He was even too weak to eat his hard cookies. It seems that his downhill spiral started at the same time I switched him to the Blue Buffalo. It breaks my heart to think I was hurting him, when I thought I was doing the best for him. I had to make the agonizing decision yesterday, when he couldn't stand for more than 30 seconds. Prior to that, he lost all interest in going for rides in the car, which he usually got very excited about. The stairs were too much for him by that point. My guilt will be with me forever.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

My husband and I have been spending hundreds of dollars taking our dog to the vet over the last couple of months as he's had several bouts of dry heaving followed by throwing up. He's been put on anti-nausea meds, antibiotics, and a prescription wet food. He would get better for a couple of days, until we'd finish the course of meds and wet food and then start him back on his BB - Sensitive Formula. Soon after, he'd start the dry heaving and vomiting again. Since he's been eating BB for over two years now, we didn't think it could be his food. However, after reading these reviews and realizing the pattern, we have switched him to another kibble altogether. It's been a week now and he has not thrown up. Hopefully, we are done with this ordeal! I am so frustrated that more is not being done to make Blue Buffalo address these concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

I have two dogs who have been fed BB for about 6 years. We started with the Venison, until they had a recall on that one, then we changed to Duck. They did fine up until about 3 months ago. Then started the vomiting, runny stools, and weight loss in my Staffordshire Terrier. Took them to the Vet, who knows we feed BB. He is the one that told me he was seeing lots of patients with BB having these issues. Stopped feeding BB and 1 week later, no more symptoms. I used to tell EVERYONE to buy BB, now I tell them to NOT buy BB. I called to complain, but was told there had not been any changes to the product. I could return it to the store for a refund, which I did.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

Having the same problems as everyone else. Dogs have been on Blue for years but I am changing ASAP after reading this. I lost 2 dogs to bad dog food years ago and switched to Blue because I thought they were one of the best foods around -- guess all of these dog food companies are the same. I have 4 rescues and keep my son's dog when he is out of town and I can barely afford Blue -- I don't know what to buy now. All of the dogs have ear infections and are scratching and biting their feet and will not eat the food--these guys usually cannot get enough to eat. Something is going on and the only thing it can be is food -- no mites, no mange, one is on allergy medication, but the other 3 have never had problems. Someone please let me know what dog food to buy that is safe and reasonably priced? Thanks.

UPDATED ON 07/15/2015: I just wanted to post a follow-up to my November review of Blue. After reading all of the negative reviews and my dog's recent medical problems, I decided to take 3 of my dogs to the vet. All of the dogs had yeast, ear infections, blood in their stools, and one had a severe UTI. Our Aussie was diagnosed with a neurological illness, which appears to be a common problem with dogs on Blue Buffalo. His illness never improved and got progressively worse, resulting in his death. I did not take 1 of my dogs because she was not showing any signs of illness; this was my dog which was not fed Blue Buffalo. I honestly believe Blue Buffalo either caused or at the least contributed to all the dog's medical problems, including his death. I don't know what happened but sometime in the fall of 2014 Blue Buffalo dog's food changed for the worst, as there are way too many people having the same complaints.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I'm starting to think the cause of my cats recent symptoms might be caused from blue buffalo indoor and salmon flavored kibble. One of my four cats recently died from lymphoma. It was then I really started researching the types of foods we were feeding them. I heard a lot about grains and how bad they were so I decided I would no longer feed them crappy foods especially ones with grain. I switched the can food right away and the hard kibble slowly. We tried all of the grain free blue buffalo can food but they wouldn't touch them. They did however eat the hard indoor cat food at first but not a lot of it so I bought the salmon flavor and they ate that one for a while also.

Since switching to blue buffalo, 2 of my cats have had blood in their stools and my 3rd cat has been throwing up a lot and has had blood in his vomit. The 2 with blood in their stool do not eat the hard food anymore and haven't passed blood since. My 3rd cat has had blood work, X-rays and stool sample tested but all came back ok. We have had an ultra sound done and they found a mass but the biopsy came back clear. We have another ultra sound scheduled to biopsy the lymph nodes because he keeps vomiting. All my cats also started drinking a lot more water and lost weight. I cannot say for sure that blue buffalo food caused these problems, but until I know for sure what is, I will not give any of my cats the blue buffalo.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

We spent extra money on the Blue puppy chow aka "the good stuff". Over the last two weeks he has been getting diarrhea, vomiting (phlegm) and not eating. He kind of picks at the food but will eat very little. I started making him a little gravy by adding water to it and he will eat a little more if I do that but not like he usually does. I figured it is because he is teething and the kibble hurt his mouth but I started researching because he really wants nothing to do with his food. My searches included terms like 'my dog doesn't like his Blue food', things like that. I thought maybe he is just bored with the Blue. That is when I found the other reviews describing the same symptoms as other dogs. HORRIFYING. I couldn't imagine our little puppy dying! I called the store where we got it (Tractor Supply) and told them to look into the reviews online and to consider pulling it even though there is no recall. It would be the right thing to do....Anyway, I will switch my puppy to another brand and hope we have better luck. Some people have posted that their pet now has neurological damage - I hope we caught this in time.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon - I had been feeding my mastiff Blue Buffalo adult and senior, but because she's been troubled with ear infections (probably yeast), I switched to the grain free variety. I began by giving her about 1/2 cup Wilderness/2 cups of the other and gradually increased the proportions. As soon as we went past 1/2 and 1/2 she started getting diarrhea. She was getting up in the night, having accidents during the day - this dog was completely housebroken and now poops in her room every day. I've had her on rice with a little pumpkin the past 3 days and she's still got really soft smelly poops. I talked to a very nice woman at Blue Buffalo today and she said "oh yeah- because Wilderness is so high in fat and protein, it's not unusual for dogs to get diarrhea from it." Now really! I've looked all over the bag and I don't see any warning about this happening. And what kind of food is sold with the company knowing that it can make your dog sick? I'm very disappointed in this brand of dog food and I'm not buying it again. I hope I can get my dog to stop having diarrhea one of these days.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

I have been a customer of Blue Buffalo for over a year now. Initially, I began to feed my black Labs Life Protection Formula with Chicken and Brown Rice after receiving a recommendation that they'd do well with it. They loved the food. However, my dogs occasionally have allergy-related skin problems. As a precautionary means, we decided to cut commercial grain from their diet and switched both of them over to Blue Buffalo's Basics with Turkey and Potato. Up until this point, I have been very happy with the food.

On Thursday night, I bought a large bag of Blue Buffalo's Basics Turkey and Potato and fed my dogs for dinner. Early next morning, they were both vomiting. We stopped feeding them to give their systems a rest, but their vomiting continued for two days, along with extreme diarrhea. They were both continuously sick for more than 48 hours and having trouble holding down liquids. After consulting our vet, we took both of them in to receive an IV, anti-nausea medication to help their stomachs relax, and to make sure their vital signs were all okay. They were both extreme dehydrated upon arriving at the vet. Fortunately, they are now on a diet of boiled rice, chicken, and canned pumpkin and seem to be feeling better.

I am accustomed to seeing dog food cause stomach issues when it is newly introduced, however my dogs have been eating this for a long time. Moreover, new food or not, I've never seen symptoms this bad. This bag of dog food literally cost me $560. Since we don't feed any treats other than their kibble, and were home with the two dogs the entire weekend, we are certain it was the kibble and not another source. I can only speculate what the issue in the food is, but I'm keeping the kibble around in the event I can have it tested or send a sample to Blue Buffalo. After reading other recent reviews, it looks like other customers are having similar problems. Please do not buy this food until Blue Buffalo announces a resolution to this issue.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

Our 8 yr. old GSD was on BB Salmon Dry food for a long time. In August 2013 we found that she had pancreatic cancer.....very rare in GS dogs. For about 10 days we fed her every 2 hours around the clock to keep her blood sugar up. 2 weeks after we found out she had developed cancer, we had to put her down. I am wondering now if it was the food she was eating....she was only 9 yrs. old.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

I could tell when I opened the blue bag of Blue Buffalo Weight Management/Indoor dry for cats that it had been changed. Visually the food looks different, the pellets are smaller than before. My 10-year-old has eaten this food for a several years now, as well as Fancy Feast in the evening. Over the weekend, she has developed bad diarrhea. She will still eat some of the Fancy Feast, but will not touch this dry food. She seems to know which one is causing the problem. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow. I hope the food is not flat-out POISONED like the Iams situation we had a few years ago, when many pets were lost.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

I have been feeding my 10yr Boxer/mix the Blue Basics Salmon and potato because he has a sensitive stomach and was always chewing on his feet. He has been on it for approx two weeks. I did a 7-day change over from Pedigree dog food I thought was too cheap and causing his problems. I researched dog foods and this came highly recommended so I thought I would spend the extra money on a new dog food. Since he has been on it, he poops a lot and it is getting softer and he drinks a ton of water! No diarrhea, but he has so much gas, farts all the time and man do they smell.

I noticed a slight tremor on his head the past two days, and he is lethargic. Yesterday he fell down the stairs and last night he lost his balance and peed himself. His blood work came back normal, urinalysis normal. I just fed him the Blue now and while researching causes I ran across this site. I am flabbergasted. I will stop the food today, I wish I hadn't just fed him, thought about making him throw it up. I will try making chicken and rice from now on, but in the meantime I have to now rule out brain tumor or dog food. This is so wrong!!! I don't have the receipt from Petsmart, all I have is the bag of food.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

Our 13 year old black lab has been on BB Fish and Sweet Potato for at least the past 4 years and has loved it. Six weeks ago he had his annual check up including blood tests. All was fine - no problems at all. Two weeks after his check up I noticed a lump on his belly that had suddenly appeared. Our vet removed it and sent it in for analysis. It was cancerous and our vet said it was an aggressive cancer. Our boy recovered just fine and then two weeks ago his health started slipping fast - being lethargic, depressed, etc and suddenly had no interest in eating his BB. We attributed it to the cancer.

We started mixing cottage cheese with his BB to get him to eat which he would but only if it was mixed with cottage cheese. Then we began to realize that he seemed fairly good until he ate dinner (BB with cottage cheese) then he would crash with no energy for the rest of the night. Today we gave him no BB but fed him Moist and Meaty instead. His energy level tonight is the best we have seen for the past 2-3 weeks. Not sure what to think but will continue with the Moist and Meaty. I will give an update in a week or so. Today was the first time to see this site and felt compelled to tell of our experience. Again, I can't say for sure but given the other posts, I am now very suspicious.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

We have been using Blue Buffalo Dry Food Senior for years with our older dogs, beagles. Our oldest passed last year from a tumor on his liver. He was 16, so we did not think much of; he had a happy life and no other major illnesses. 3 years ago, we rescued another beagle and started him on adult BB. He was 1 1/2 when we found him. About 3 weeks ago we woke up to our young one vomiting. It was all food and toy stuffing, apparently he had woken up and started to tear apart a toy and had eaten the stuffing. He vomited 5 times in 2 hours and wanted to lick everything in sight during this period.

Took him to the emergency vet because he was previously diagnosed as an epileptic and we were afraid it would trigger seizures. Blood and X-rays were normal, he did still have a lump of presumed to be stuffing in his stomach, however it was moving down. We were given anti-nausea medications and went him. Since then, he continues to try to lick everything in sight to bulk up so he can throw up, including his tail when we were not watching. He has had more blood, X-rays and ultrasounds done - all normal. He goes there during the week for daycare because we are afraid to leave him alone for fear if he is not allowed to lick up whatever he can, he will continue to chew himself. This has been like this for 2 1/2 weeks and the internist and the neurologist can't find anything.

The next step is to scope him to see if there is anything there. I am waiting for the vet to call to arrange this appointment and continued day care for next week when I decided to see if BB changed their formula because we have all hashed this out and there is nothing new or changed so I thought maybe this formula had changed. So I Googled BB formula change and this is the first site that came up. After reading these reviews, I think that it must be the food. I'm going to go with a chicken and rice diet for the next couple of days and see what happens. I think we will still have the scope done in the meantime just to rule out this last possibility that it could be something there but I will speak about the possibility that it is BB to the vet when she calls. They know he is on BB but that didn't bother them. So now this is my game plan and now we wait...

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

My puppy is thriving on Blue Buffalo! She transitioned from Science Diet at four (4) month which required a handful of the newly introduced dog food being mixed into the familiar dog food. She's strong and active with a beautiful coat. Her stools are consistently solid and she is eating twice a day and having bowel movements 2-3 times per day.

Perhaps some of the folks 'switching' between flavors are doing so abruptly (and dogs cannot handle a quick transition of their daily diet - even among the same brand). It seems a bit staged/peculiar that I'm reading almost daily reports from October 7 - November 4th bashing Blue Buffalo. Was an alert from Consumer Affairs sent out prompting any bad experiences from Blue Buffalo? No. Attributing a dog's death to Blue Buffalo is pretty serious. Those owners writing in from October 7th - November 4th (NOTE THE CONSISTENT CHAIN DURING THAT PERIOD) may have detected their dog's 'ailments' earlier with some visits to the vet. These seem to report their animal getting sick out of the blue (either immediately after switching blends or after several years of use) with some dying. Be encouraged to read reviews outside of this website.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

Recently Blue Buffalo announced that some ingredients sourced by them from the Texas facility of supplier Wilbur-Ellis contained poultry by-product meal. This contradicts Blues product labels and advertising claims that its products do not have these ingredients. This is misleading consumers who are trusting them to be concerned for their pets well being. Shame on them!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

We have 2 almost six year old Yorkies. They have been eating Blue Buffalo since they were born. We kept them on the food based on the recommendations of the people we got the dogs from. A few months ago, I read some negative press about BB, but ignored it because our dogs were healthy. I purchased a bag of senior food on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 from Petco. On Monday November 3rd, Zeek slept in. He is usually up, as soon as our 3 year old is up. I let he and his brother outside, but Zeek did not go down the stairs to do his business. He came in and brushed up against my 3 year old and just cried.

I went to touch him and he cried again, something was definitely wrong. I immediately called the vet and took him in. He was panting, shaking and salivating. He acted as if he were suffering from paralysis. Scared me to tears. The doctor did X-rays and a complete blood work up and there was nothing. We were sent home with a hefty vet bill, some muscle relaxers and pain meds. He continued like this for 2-3 days and started acting like himself, but had not eaten much. Today, he exhibited the same symptoms only after he has eaten his food. I convinced his food is bad and causing his sickness. I will be throwing out a $55 bin of food.. Never to purchase again. Please stop hurting our four legged family members.

Resolution response: March 1, 2015

After trying other brands & bombing out (cat either would not eat it or was allergic with skin itching), I saw Blue Buffalo had a new product, BB Basics Duck dry cat food, so I got it. Cat liked it & didn't get sick, but his skin itched (allergic). So, after that bag ran out, I bravely went back to BBB Turkey & Potato (dry), hoping the situation was fixed. YEA!!! My cat loves it, and no diarrhea!! Also, his coat is smooth and shiny again! A note to dear Blue Buffalo: Thank you for fixing the problem - please be careful - my kitty & I really need and appreciate your cat food! I recommend this cat food, but mistakes do happen.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

Have been feeding my cat BB Basics dry 2 yrs. Happy with it & cat did well. Then he got diarrhea. Vet gave Flagyl & probiotics, but it did not help. I found this site & stopped the BBB dry & Flagyl, & just gave the probiotics & canned food. He immediately got better. The bag of dry food BBB had a "lighter color" and I was worried they changed their formula or changed ownership (they did not change ownership). Just read that one of BB suppliers gave them an ingredient with by products (chicken meal), and Purina is suing BB! BB claims to not have known about it, and is stopping this ingredient. Could that be the cause of my cat's diarrhea?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

Last Sunday, I opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo puppy food. This food looked different than the food I had been feeding my dog. The next day, my 7 month old 6lb shorkie had soft stools and diarrhea. This has been going on for 6 days now. I am in the process of switching his food over to Natures Valley Instinct Raw Boost food. I will never buy Blue Buffalo food or treats again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I have used BB since bringing our pup home nearly 10 months ago. At first I was so happy with how well he ate, even talked my mom to switching her dogs with no problems. But the last bag I bought at our local Tractor Supply was powdery and crushed. But still had some whole pieces. The dogs didn't want to, but eventually ate it. That's when the foamy mouth and vomiting and diarrhea started. I thought we just got a bad batch and bought more. It was not crushed or powdery but dogs still did not want it. Still showing symptoms and my mom's old English swelled to the point like he would burst after one small feeding. They are supervised and contained so I know it's not trash eating. It has to be the BB. I feel horrible now for feeding my babies this. Never again. I will save my 500$ a month and keep my pets alive.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I've been feeding my two kittens a combo of Blue Wilderness, Fancy Feast, Natural Choice and Science Diet canned foods since they were 6 weeks old. They get a variety of chicken, turkey, ocean whitefish and salmon. Both of them are in excellent health and are growing like weeds. Now that they're 7 months old, I read these reviews and can't figure out why they have none of these medical problems mentioned. I don't believe a poisonous product would be sold in stores, so I'm stumped.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

We have fed our four dogs BB for the past year (2014). On November 3rd our oldest dog (14 yrs) became ill with vomiting and diarrhea. This was quickly followed by the same symptoms in our 9 year old and 7 year old dogs. When the youngest (3 years) started vomiting, we took them all to the vet. The oldest dog was so dehydrated, that she was kept overnight for IV fluids and meds. The others were treated at home. I went online to find out if BB has had any recent recalls. No recent recalls that I can find, but many others are experiencing the same problems that seem to be linked to this product.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

I decided to write a complaint after reading Tammy's comments about Anna. What a beautiful cat--- and, so young--- like my cat. Please read below:

My beloved Bobo Magic Panda bear, a five year old Norwegian Forest cat/ Oriental mix, died on Monday, October 27, 2014. He had been fed BB Sensitive Stomach dry cat food since I adopted him from the local humane society, along with Fancy Feast can food daily. I was shocked that I took him to the vet to get well... not to die. Bobo had no pre-existing conditions since he was a kitten..... perfect health. Well, until about one month before he died. Bobo started running in and out of the litter box, along with looking for anywhere to pee in the house. This was not his normal behavior. I took him to the vet immediately... was given antibiotics for an infection... and took him home.

Two weeks later we were back at the vet again. Same process-- antibiotics. The vet mentioned putting Bobo on CD and I commented about my dislike of corn, wheat and soy in dog/cat foods in the Science Diet foods at the vet office. Da, dumb me---I wasn't thinking it could be the BB dry cat food I had been feeding my magical Bobo. After the 2nd round of antibiotics wore off, I was back at the vet office because Bobo was not crying out in pain, not to mention he was throwing up. The vet kept him for the day (a Friday), cleared him out of any crystals, gave him fluids. I decided to take him home for the weekend with oral antibiotics.

That was my last weekend with my magical "Bobo Magic Pandabear. " Bobo was one of those male cats that can sit on your chest "just so..." and cause your blood pressure to go down... Bobo knew when I needed to zen out. He was so much more special than any words I could type here--- remember he was a Siamese mix.......I had to take the day off from work the day Bobo died because I was so angry. I am angry thinking that I had purchased the best dry cat food that I thought would keep Bobo with me into "old age" for both of us. I will be an advocate into finding out if it indeed was the BB Sensitive Stomach dry cat food that was his demise. Shame on you Blue Buffalo.... should that be the case.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

My poor cat Tybee is in the Emergency Vet now for 3 days with a catheter. He had a urinary blockage and couldn't urinate. This is a very serious condition and he might not make it. I have had several conversations with more than 1 vet about this. They told me that the food is the problem. I protested and defended Blue Buffalo (Wilderness) food saying it was a good, grain-free food. Yesterday after another talk with the vet treating my cat, I was convinced the food is the problem. She said they have seen several cases like this from cats who eat Blue Buffalo food. Tybee had been throwing up for almost a week before we noticed the urinary problem. I have another female cat so last night, I returned all the unopened Blue canned and dry food I had. I had just bought them a few days ago and luckily hadn't opened them. The food I was using was the Blue Wilderness grain-free dry and an occasional can of their wet food.

For the last year I had been combining the Weight Control with the Indoor to try and compensate for my female who is overweight and male who is skinny. They are brother and sister cats and are 4 years old. This last month I was using the Weight Control combined with the Salmon Formula. We also gave them the Blue canned food on occasion all varieties and the Blue Treats. I believe my boy got sick originally from the Salmon Treats. I only give treats about once/week and after opening the bag and giving them the treats, the vomiting started. I am saving the treats and unused food for evidence.

So yesterday I call my sister in Georgia to warn her about the cat food. Guess what...her older female cat is sick with a UTI and the vet said the Blue Buffalo food is the problem. She also argued with him defending the food. He said the smaller companies just don't do enough testing of their food. Both our vets recommend Hill's Science Diet Urinary formula and my vet said the Royal Canin is also a good choice. So I am switching immediately and just called my Mom to tell her to get her dog off the food too. I am so upset and mad at Blue Buffalo right now. I will be telling everyone about this and hope to save other pets and owners from going through what we are right now. Please pray for my boy Tybee to get through this...and by the way the vet bill is $2,000 so far.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

I have read previous complaints and want all people reading this review to know how honest and genuine this post is.... Beware of this pet food! I feel awful right now, like I poisoned my kittens. On Friday Oct 31, 2014 I purchased 5 cans of Blue Wilderness kitten food from PetCo. I am writing this review on Wednesday November 5th. Since my purchase, the kittens have consumed a total of two and a half cans of the wet kitty food (half can mixed with dry food different brand in PM). This morning I noticed a single drop of blood on the ground. Closer exam confirmed blood with mucous. Saw kitten go the bathroom and what ran out of his backside shocked me. A tan, loose substance with blood in it.

Immediately I called the vet, brought kitten and stool sample. Vet confirmed stool was without parasite and prescribed an antibiotic for a possible stomach infection. Upon getting home, I feed the kittens (fortunately NOT BB) and both ran to bathroom after eating. Now I saw my other kitten with the same stool, no blood. Grabbed that stool, returned to vet for exam. Again sample without parasite. Speaking with the vet they asked about diet and whether I had changed their diet. I thought nothing of the different brand of food, but mentioned that both kittens have had excessive thirst over the past few days.....I mean they just keep drinking water.

After my two trips to the vet today, and two traumatized kittens, It occurred to me that maybe I should google this new brand of food. What popped up on google MORTIFIED me. All of these reviews mention exactly what is happening with my kittens, thirst, diarrhea, bloody stool. After 2 1/2 cans shared by the kittens. Good grief! What could possibly be in this food??? Everyone, please be aware of the potential problems with this brand. I feel just awful, like I poisoned my kittens. Why is this brand allowed to continue selling this? I spent $125 at the vet today, but finding out that the cause is this cat food is worth every penny. And PetCo is going to hear about this tomorrow. Shame on anyone involved with this food.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

I have a pet charity I founded almost 30 years ago and have been using Blue for a few years now. In an effort to research possible causes for seizures to help one of our rescues, I learned that Rosemary extract (which Blue uses in all of their kibble) is a neurotoxin which can cause seizures. The phone number on their bags and website just rings and there is no way I found to speak to anyone. I also sent emails. Over a week later I did get a hold of someone who could not offer any information on the safety of Rosemary. For a company that seems to now be spending so much on advertising, one would hope they would be as eager to offer decent customer support. It is no wonder discerning stores like Pet Food Express are pulling Blue from their inventory. I returned my last bag. The fact that they also didn't offer any perks for non profit pet charities doesn't help much either, but we were willing to pay top dollar for the best food that our dogs would eat. We have switched to Natural Balance (very rescue friendly) and 1st Mate (grain free and no rosemary extract).

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

I am disturbed after reading the other recent posts. I have two dogs - a lab mix and a shepherd mix. I have been feeding the Blue Wilderness Chicken Recipe for about a year now with no problems. However, about 2 or 3 weeks ago, each of them began vomiting and having diarrhea within two days of each other. I thought it may be a virus of some sort but threw their food out anyway and put them on rice and chicken. I just bought another huge bag of the Chicken Recipe formula a couple of days ago and tonight the lab got sick again in the same way-- vomiting and diarrhea. After reading these posts I am afraid it may be the food and am throwing it out immediately. I already wrote the company but wanted to let others know this is happening.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

I bought my Bulldog 2 years ago. From the beginning, I purchased high end dog food for her. She was a wonderful dog. I maintained her healthy weight by feeding her 1 cup of dry dog food twice a day. She grew to a healthy 50 lbs. After 1 year, I gradually switched to Blue Buffalo dog food as I saw an ad on TV promoting the benefits of this type of food. Izzy begin to cough up in the evening after we went to bed. Every morning I found a pile of regurgitated dog food. I thought she just was getting into something outside or from one of her doggy toys. I took all her toys away. Her vomiting continued and then she began having butt rubbing on the floor. I took her to the vet, who said she had rectal glands clogged up. We medicated her for this. It seemed to help some, but not completely.

The last days of her life were vomiting, constantly needing to go out and pee but she wouldn't pee much. We took her to the vet again, who put her on IV and said that her kidneys were shutting down. She had to stay overnight. I was called that night to come down as she was not going to make it. She passed away in my lap and now is in a better place with no more suffering. I am heartbroken and have lost my best friend. I am angry with this company for promoting quality dog food that clearly has made many animals ill, suffer and in my case death. Do not use this product.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information