2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

My 1-year-old dog died last week because he ate Blue Buffalo dog food. He was just at the vet a week before he died and he was in good health. I had decided to try Blue Buffalo and he finished a small bag of it and last Thursday January 22, 2014 he was really sick and took him to my vet twice. The vet said he was poisoned and asked if he got into something in the house. We checked and found nothing. I have been researching this food and come to find out the food is now made in China. That explains a lot. I am not the only one that has had a problem with this food. Please go online and look it up. Can't something be done so no more dogs need to die or get sick? This is crazy. Help someone needs to care.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

My 1 yr old boston started eating blue buffalo and became very sick!!! Vomiting, lethargic, loss of hair. Yes going bald around ears and on her butt!!! After throwing this expensive junk out and switching back to science diet she improved!! This company DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOUR PET OR ITS HEALTH!!!! Boycott it.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

We rescued our dog from xl dogs resue, an awesome organization as far as I'm concerned. They had been feeding bear blue buffalo rocky mountain wilderness formula. They mention he had some stomach issues and recommended we stick with that or switch very slowly. Not wanting to upset his stomach we stayed with the same food. We slowly added blue buffalo wilderness beef stew to his dry food to help with his acid reflux (as diagnosed per our vet). By early November 2014 we had him eating the 1500 kcals he needed to be a healthy 78lb dog. Keep in mind all blue wilderness even his treats. Around thanksgiving he began with severe diarrhea and his acid reflux was back and worse. We continued with blue. Sure it couldn't be that.

After the 3rd time in 5 weeks we had to do the chicken and rice trick to get his stomach better. We switched food brands. We chose Orijen regional red for his dry source and Merrick Texas steak tips dinner for his wet food (both are still grain free). We spent a little over 2 weeks transitioning, but by the middle of the first week we already saw a change in his stools as well as activity levels. He has been fully switched over for 10 days now and now can't wait to eat, his bowls run on an easy to manage schedule, and he has had no issues for the 1st time since we got him in August 2014.

Please all pet owners do yourselves a favor. Open a can of blue buffalo wilderness beef stew and open a can of merrick and you will see and smell the difference. My wife and I both work in the construction business and are not aligned with any pet food makers as some would want you to believe. I can not stress enough how much healthier he is. I'm sure our vet will miss seeing him every other week (I will not miss the bills) but 'm sure she is as happy as we are that he is doing well. I hope this helps at least 1 other dog and his parents find a better food. Thank you for caring enough about your pet to read this.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

I thought I was doing a good thing for my dogs when I started buying Blue Wilderness Salmon Adult Dog Food months ago. Instead, my six year old Corgi became so sluggish, all he did is retreat to his crate. Worse, however, was my 16 year old Cairn Terrier's reaction when he simply would not eat the food. I couldn't believe my eyes because he has never refused food before. Not only did he refuse it, but he kept pushing the bowl with his nose trying to turn the bowl over. At first I thought he was getting senile and wanted to eat it off the floor, so after a bit, I turned the bowl over, but he just walked away. I gave him some biscuits and veggies, but he was not getting the nutrients he needed, so I took him to the vet. His blood work was fine, his X-rays showed some arthritis which is common, and he has a slight heart murmur but nothing to explain the refusal to eat.

Oddly, his stomach and intestine were full. The vet suggested I get another bag of food thinking I may have gotten a "bad" bag! Shortly afterward, I gave him a handful of Charlie Bears (liver and flour) and a handful of my pup's Blue Wilderness puppy food chicken, and the 16 year old Cairn ate both. So at this point I am highly suspicious of the Wilderness Adult Salmon variety, though after reading about all of the other problems people have had with Blue and Blue Wilderness foods, I plan to switch the dogs and cats ASAP to another brand. The vet bill was some $500!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

Our schnauzer is Two years old. He has been eating Blue all of his life, never had any issues until this week... uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea for three days. Took him to the Vet... He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and caused from his dog food and treats all made from Blue buffalo. $600.00 later, changed dog food and He is doing fine. We will never use Blue Buffalo again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

I had always heard that BB was a good choice for dogs, so I decided to switch over from his previous food.. I have a blue nose pit that is a year and a half old, he was healthy and happy before using BB. After 5 weeks on the BB chicken recipe, I began seeing changes in my dog.. His poop was seldom hard and he had awful gas all the time, he lost 8 lbs and was sleeping more than usual. It wasn’t until I noticed blood in his stools that realized that something was seriously wrong.

I took him to the vet and spent over 500.00 on tests to find out what the problem was. Unfortunately, all the tests showed nothing wrong. Before they did the tests, they asked me what I fed my dog, I told them BB chicken recipe, but for some reason it was not noted in the vets paperwork on him... Once I told the vet what I was feeding him he was certain that was the problem.

To make it short, after 6 days off the BB chicken recipe my dog is doing much much better... No gas, stools are normal, no blood etc. It’s too soon to see if he gains his weight back, but I’m betting that he will. My neighbor who recommended this food also stopped using it, his dog was having similar issues and refused to eat BB. He claimed that his dog had no energy and started pooping in the house. He also saw better results after he stopped using BB. So, if anyone reading this has any doubt about BB causing issues with their dog, you might want to think again before you continue using it..

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

My cat had severe allergy issues. They were never fully resolved using prescription food. It was expensive and my cat eventually refused to eat it. These issues were resolved when I switched to the blue buffalo basics line.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

I purchased a new bag of blue buffalo chicken brown rice in Dec 2014. The Best to use date is by Jan 23. 2016. Once she started to eat the food from the new bag she started to have terrible gas, within a few days, diarrhea began. That has been several weeks, I have given her antibiotics, did the rice diet. But she is still going very soft and then the gas comes back. That is why I decided to research the dog food. It makes me sick to think that bb could be the cause of her sickness.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

I have been using Blue Buffalo brand dog food for over 2 years now. Up until December it was fine. This last bag I bought in January did not seem right. In fact our 8-year-old Chiweenie acted like she didn't like it anymore and just recently would go over and smell it and walk away. Yesterday I actually smelled it up close and it has a very unpleasant odor of feces and almost made me sick. It was the Freedom Chicken brand for smaller breeds. She is part Chihuahua/miniature Dachshund. I threw it away and fixed her a dish of regular cooked chicken and rice and she ate that.

I did some research and went and bought a 5 lb. bag of Canidae grain free kibble with lamb and gave her a small amount of it. She usually only gets a 1/4 cup twice a day as she only weighs about 8 lbs. She ate it without hesitation, so will see how she does today with it. I have read various complaints about Blue Buffalo the past couple days and how sick some dogs have become. So something has changed there. I will not buy it again and have warned other people also to be aware of the new shipments of it and to actually smell it before giving to their dogs.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

I found rocks in my dogs food shaped like the kibble. I have tried several times to contact Wild Blue. I have emailed and phoned them. I got no response. This is the worst dog food ever!!! Paid for a bag of rocks.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

Blue Wilderness - My perfectly healthy 1 year old cat died from this food. December 23 he started peeing on furniture (which he never did before). I noticed blood in his urine, took him to vet and they put him on antibiotics thinking it was a UTI, 5 days later he seemed better. New Year's Eve noticed him doing it again, but this time crying while peeing and seemed very lethargic all day. So being New Year's Eve I have to bring him to ER vet. Turns out he has a blocked urethra from his bladder being filled with crystals. They tried to unblock him but he kept re-blocking.

New Year's Day I go back to check on him at ER vet, he was profusely drooling and in a coma!!!!!!!! His kidneys ended up shutting down from him being blocked, had low oxygen levels (and he was in a oxygen tank) and catheter bag was now filling with blood. Had no choice but to put my sweet 1 year old boy to sleep. And it was all from switching him to this food on December 15! If you love your pets do not give them this food! I wish I had seen all these horrible reviews before I gave him this brand!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

My 2 year old German Shepherd has been eating Blue Buffalo products most of her life. Come to find out after feeding her the Wilderness blend, that like a lot of German Shepherds, she has a sensitive stomach. I switched to the Blue Buffalo basic formula and she had no problems for months. I would switch flavors now and then but no issues. However I purchased a bag of the Salmon & Potato Recipe right before Christmas 2014 and within a week she had the worst case of diarrhea she has ever had in her life. She also was vomiting. I took her to my vet and they gave her an IV and some antibiotics as well as a Rice and Chicken blend of soft dog food. I also switched her back to the Large Breed Basic formula and seems to have no issues. This was a scare for me and dealing with her sensitive issues in the past, I have no doubt it was that formula that brought on her ailment.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

We started feeding our two small dogs BB a few months. This morning our biggest started peeing blood. Took him to the best vet in town, $100 and a sonogram later they found bladder stones too big to come out on their own. They're positive it's diet related and gave us a special dog food to keep the pH levels down. We also scheduled surgery to have them removed which is going to run $1300. Consumer beware when buying this "high quality" Chinese made food!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

I have three cats. In the past month or so I notice my small female cat has been vomiting. It started here and there. I thought she had a hair ball, I noticed her eating the plants. So I put a spider plant down for her to nibble on to help her pass whatever was in her belly. The vomiting began to happen more than once a day. Yesterday I looked around with more detail and I noticed little dried vomit all over the place. One spot looked projectile. In the last day or so she must have thrown up 10 times. It looks just like the dry food I give. I feel horrible. My other cats do not have that reaction. I am so glad I have seen these posts with similar complaints. This food is terrible and so expensive for a product that is obviously too strong for a lot of animals. They need to do more work on their product and pet stores should seriously reconsider why they are carrying their food. Thank you to those that posted.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

My 7 yr old pug Jack has been a happy and incredibly healthy dog UNTIL I switched him to this horrendous food. I started BB about 8 months ago. 2 months later he had a seizure... One of the WORST things to experience. We found him passed out in his own vomit. We picked him up and he just fell over... Like he was dead. He then lost control of his bladder. We rushed him to the emergency vet. The whole way there my husband was holding him and trying to keep him awake.

After about 2 hours it seemed he had bounced back. The vet attributed it to his Vagus vein? Said it's rare but that he should be fine. He wasn't... Drooling to the point that he would be sopping wet under his chin to his chest! Since then he just wasn't himself. Periodically he would start to act "drunk"- fall over, moving very slowly, lethargic, drinking a TON of water and just not himself. About 3 weeks ago another seizure... Another 300$ trip to the emergency vet...this one said it could be geriatric epilepsy? Or a brain tumor? The only way to be sure was to get a 2,500$ MRI. I have been so worried.

I contacted the breeder I got him from (who's a friend) and asked her if any of his siblings or mom or dad had any history of seizures... Nothing. In fact Mom’s 11 and Dad’s 14... Doing great. None of them had any kind of seizures. So I decided to do some research and I came across this site! I cannot believe what I'm reading. I NEVER occurred to me that it was his food since it’s "the best". That was about a week ago. Since then I have changed his food and we've had 100% improvement!!!! I have my buddy back!!!! Now if I can just get over the guilt of knowing I did this to him.... SHAME ON YOU BLUE BUFFALO.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

We have been feeding our two dogs BB since beginning of Sept 2014 and they were doing great. But the last bag that we bought in Nov/Dec, the dogs started getting sick. They both started throwing up yellow/orange liquid. One of the dogs even developed bloody diarrhea. During meal times, they would appear to be hungry but refused to touch the BB kibbles. We decided to not give them BB kibbles for a day and fed them boiled chicken and they did better for that day but as soon as we went back to the kibbles the symptoms came back. That's when we really started looking it up online and found hundreds of other people going through the same thing with the recent bags of BB. And after more digging there are articles out saying that they're not really 'Made in the USA', they may have ingredients from other countries. As a consumer that spends more to get higher quality food, I don't appreciate being lied to about what I'm getting.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

Against my better judgement I allowed my beloved Aussie of 12 years to eat food by Blue Buffalo. Within 48 hours she had collapsed with frank blood diarrhea followed by severe melena. Her liver failed and she had to be euthanized. She had been eating Purina all her life with never a gastrointestinal issue and was dead less than 3 days after starting to eat Blue Buffalo. When I discovered that the ingredients came from suspicious sources, I blamed myself for feeding my dog this poison. When that evil salesperson looked me in the eye and claimed that their food was "perfect" and "better" and I was slowly killing my dog, I hope that she knows there is a special place in hell for her and her company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

We have 3 dogs - 2 Mini Schnauzers and one Border Terrier mix. We switched them all to Blue Buffalo about 2 years ago. Soon after opening the most recent bag of Blue Buffalo Freedom, one of our Mini Schnauzers got horribly sick, with vomiting, diarrhea and incontinence. We took her to the vet who first diagnosed a UTI as the urinalysis showed bacteria present. But she continued with the intestinal symptoms, is now in the hospital with pancreatitis. When I told the vet what her diet has been, she recommended that I check online for possible recall. Instead, I found this site & was stunned to read so many dogs suffering with similar problems after eating Blue Buffalo. I cannot believe they haven't recalled this yet! My vet bills already exceed $4,000 and possibly because of this food!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

We switched to Blue Buffalo over 1 1/2 years ago and our Cockapoo female was fine on chicken and lamb. We also fed her the salmon dry dog food as well. She liked them all but since she has been on her 2nd bag of salmon we noted blood in her urine. The vet took a sample and put her on antibiotics and informed us our dog has crystals in her urine. We were advised to change brand of dog food. This is the end for using Blue Buffalo dry dog food! Owners beware.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

I switched to Buffalo Blue Brand because I thought it would be better for my 3-year old HEALTHY cat. Not even a week later she started showing signs of hiding in the house to the point I couldn't find her, I had to search which was never a problem with Marley. The second I walked into the house she was greeting me, throwing up, not eating or drinking. Before I knew it I had her at two vet offices who told me she would be ok, thought it was some intestine disease and gave her some prescriptions for us to take home.

After 2-3 days she took a turn downward. I had to rush her to a 24 hour vet hospital at 10:00 at night, she was treated there for a week until there was nothing left to do. Myself and the vets did all we could to try and save her. Still with no answers of how a healthy 3-year old indoor cat passes away has been driving me crazy, until I found similar cases. I would like to know how this is being handled and why there are so many cases out there still going on. How is this food still being sold? I would like an explanation. I spent over 5,000.00 I didn't have, and still months later paying off the debt. I don't want this to happen to anyone else who may just think because a store is carrying a product that it is safe to give to our animals.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

My 7 yr old miniature dachshund was just very sick over the weekend vomiting and diarrhea. After taking her to the vet and every test came back ok, they said maybe it was something she ate. I am very careful to only feed my dog her regular food which has been BB chicken and rice for small breeds for like the last 3 yrs and dehydrated chicken breast that I make myself and that's it. The vet gave me some ID food for sensitive stomach and upon looking online to see if BB makes a food for sensitive stomach, I come across this website and was floored by all the reviews about BB!

I bought my last bag sometime before Christmas, my dog has been eating it but I will absolutely NOT be giving it to her again. When I called BB they have a recording that says all their food is from the US but something is not right when all these animals are getting sick at the same time. Coincidence - I think not. I am very sad bc it is hard to find a good quality dog food and I have been so pleased with them till now. I also let my vet know about all the complaints in case other patients come in with the same symptoms. So like all the others what are you gonna do about it BB!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

We got our chocolate lab puppy at 7 weeks old and Blue Buffalo Puppy food was recommended as a great brand. After feeding our little guy this for two months, he was still having horrible diarrhea, eventually containing blood in it, thus leading us to take an emergency trip to our vet. When asked what we were feeding him and upon revealing it was BB, our vet mentioned that she had seen many puppies who had been getting sick from the BB brand. She recommended immediately switching brands (suggesting the Science Diet). Upon doing so, we quickly noticed that this solved the diarrhea problem. However, yesterday we were running low on his Science Diet Food and Petsmart was already closed, so we decided to mix in a little of our leftover BB to give him the right serving amount (we put about a half of a cup of BB in with his other food).

We woke up at about 6am to our puppy gagging and dry-heaving, and eventually vomiting. He ended up throwing up about 3-4 times within 5 hours and has started having horrible diarrhea again. This led me to do some online research on the BB brand and discovered these awful reviews. We will never give him this brand again and advise anyone else to avoid doing so as well!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I began feeding my 10-year-old orange tabby Blue Buffalo about 6 months ago. I have noticed that he has been getting UTIs frequently since I put him on this brand. I never thought his food could have been the cause of his monthly UTIs considering I spend so much for this food! I just happen to be doing some research on why or what is causing my feline's "poo-poo" to smell soooo bad and came across all these issues pet owners are having with this food. I'm wondering if this could be the cause of my little guy's issues as well???? Either way, I will be returning this food.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I want to be fair with my complaint but back in December 2014 my Yorkie was on The Blue Buffalo due to I had changed his food about 6 months earlier because of allergies, and all of a sudden just started throwing up and diarrhea. He just continued to get worse. Took to the vet and he ask what kind of food I had him on and he said can't say for sure but lots of dogs had come in with the same the thing that was on the Blue Buffalo. If there is something wrong with the food and you know this, you should let the consumer know. I trusted you enough to try your food. It would be better to come clean now before helpless animals have to die! Now my baby has a liver problem maybe because of your food. I'm wondering if there are others out there with the same complaint.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I noticed the canned that I opened was not as full as usual and the food looked a little lighter and dry somewhat. I feed my dogs and they had diarrhea immediately after eating it. I thought it was one bad can. However, I went on to feed from other cans. It looked normal; some cans a little drier than others. My dogs still have diarrhea off and on. I decided to take the remaining cans back to PetSmart for a refund and change their food.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I have two cats who were on Hills Science diet but switched to Blue W. because it was high in protein & supposed to be healthier for their coats. The first week was okay, by the second week I noticed one of my cats with extremely loose bowels, which is rare for her, going to change immediately!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

For almost 4 years my dog has been on blue buffalo grain free. Off and on throughout the years he has random spells of vomiting. After stomach xrays it is said he has acid reflux. Pepsid helped for a while until the beginning of this year. Couldn't keep a meal down. Yet he had lots of energy and wasn't lethargic. Normal self except couldn't keep food down. Back to the vet we go. More xrays and blood work. Still thickening of the stomach and everything else looks great. Blood work is great. So Vet thinks it is his valve in his throat that opens and his food comes back up. Started him on medication for that. Been 2 days on it and while it won't show improvement really yet he still has vomited what he has eaten. Including water.

I bought a bag of frozen raw dog food and amazingly he has kept it down. After doing some research on raw dog food and then Googling issues with blue buffalo I came across others issues. Basically I read a review that was the same situation as mine. Great blood work, irritated stomach. Don't know what else. I had to share my story as well. In the morning I am going to call the vet and inform him of my new findings with the buffalo reviews and my dogs reaction to switching his food. I may not need any medication for him if the food is the problem.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

I have been feeding my two Australian Shepherds Blue Buffalo since the day I brought them home. They are now two years old. I have notices a lot of diarrhea and also blood in their (or one of theirs) stools on several different occasions. At first I thought like most people would that they must have gotten into something but I have nothing down low for them to get into and I thoroughly checked my garage where their beds are and found nothing out of the ordinary. I do not give them people food so that ruled that out.

I took them off blue for two week and they didn't seem to have the diarrhea anymore. Their stool was as it should be so it made me wonder what was going on.

My dogs are wired and always ready to go but there has also been times when they seemed lethargic and that made absolutely no sense. After the two weeks I started easing them back on to the Blue Buffalo food and once they were back on it they started with the diarrhea.

I have five bags of Blue Buffalo sitting on account at my local pet store and have now changed everything over to Nutri Source. I have had absolutely no problems at all. (It is made in the USA.) Anything I give my dogs needs to be made in the USA or I don't buy it. I will also be switching my cat food just to be on the safe side as it is Blue Buffalo brand too. As with millions of people my dogs are like my family and I want them around for as long as I can have them. To lose one to a dog food problem or accrue vet bills because of it is not acceptable.

Blue is made in the USA but it is my understanding that it is now being out-sourced to China. That could be the problem. I am disappointed in the product after purchasing it for four dogs. Purchased for my two big dogs and my daughter's two small dogs. It is sad that you trust in something that is made in the USA only to find out there is problems with it and it has affected many many people.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

We have a 4-year old Pomeranian (Kobe) that has been on a diet of NuTru for years until I had the bright idea of trying Blue Buffalo after reading the label and thinking it sounded like a very healthy dog food. We are stationed in the UK and our BX started carrying BB recently. We transitioned him (tried) with a mix of NuTru/BB but he only picked out the new BB and seemed to love it. We went on a trip about a week or so later and sent Kobe to the kennel. We came home and the kennel said he was having bad diarrhea which was unlike Kobe, so they took him off the food and fed him their brand and he was fine.

I thought it was because we transitioned him too quickly so we tried again. Kobe got pretty sick the other night - fever and lethargic plus loose stools. He didn't eat for a day and when he got up the next morning was feeling better. Last night he seemed back to himself and ate his food (BB) and we went to bed. This morning he has been soooo sick - fever, shakes, lethargic, no interest in eating. I did get him to drink some water. I immediately started researching reviews on BB and have read non-stop scary happenings.

We are taking back all unopened bags of treats and dumping the BB food!! I am now cooking rice and chicken to hopefully get Kobe feeling better. To think we are trying to take extra special care of our little family members just to have a company destroy them is ridiculous! I will be letting the Air Force personnel know NOT to purchase this food again and hopefully get it pulled from our shelves!!! SICK.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

I changed my dog food because I thought it was best quality for her. After 3 weeks she had bloody diarrhea and her face got swollen and was bleeding :( really lethargic and she lost tons of weight. She couldn’t even stand, she had chronic diarrhea. She would poop on her kennel and around the house like 7 times a day. I read the comments and felt really guilty. I bought bill-jac again and the diarrhea stop after a day. However, the face still really swollen and bleeds. Please, if you love your dog give her something else not this junk! It almost kill my baby. She is a pug, 2 years old, no problems at all before that junk food! The food I was giving her was wet food.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information