1.94/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

I started feeding my kitten this food. My adult cat, a 5 yr old Bengal, loved it and would snitch it front the kitten's bowl. After 3 days, she began vomiting (sometimes w/ blood) and had diarrhea (sometimes with blood). She was perfectly healthy before eating this food. We are making an emergency trip to our vet today. This food obviously needs to be recalled and taken from the market. I am hoping our kitty did not eat enough to have been seriously damaged from Wilderness food.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

I was an inch from giving my cat, Melon, away because I thought his persistent and uncontrollable diarrhea and urinary problems were insurmountable. This had been going on for six months. As it turns out, some neighbors three doors away, had been feeding him Buffalo Blue cat food. They moved away a week ago and the problem is rapidly clearing up.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

Our 2 Shelties, ages 10 and 13, were eating Purina Pro Plan for most of their lives until I switched to Blue Buffalo. Worst decision I've ever made. When the diarrhea started, I contributed it to some rotisserie chicken, but the diarrhea only got worse. The food needs to be taken off the market. Hope our older Sheltie makes it.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

I know for a fact that Blue Buffalo is the reason behind my dog's illness. My dog, Boe, is a 3.5 year old male lab. We have fed him Blue Buffalo since he was 8 weeks and have never had a problem. On November 18, 2014, we purchased a new bag from a local shop as we were running low. We finished up the last bag and then started him on the new bag around November 22/23. Our dog started vomiting November 25th. He also vomited November 26th and November 27th. He still had good energy but we switched him to a rice and turkey diet for 3 days to let him stomach settle. Boe got better and didn't throw up again. So we figured whatever his issue was had passed and started feeding him his Blue Buffalo again. A day later, on Monday morning, Boe threw up again. We rushed him to the vet. We weren't sure what caused it. We didn't think it was the food as Boe has been eating it for 3.5 years. So we got X-Rays, Pancreatic tests, Blood Tests, fecal tests - all came up clear.

All the vet could see was a very sensitive stomach. She gave him anti-nausea shots and cans of GI food. For 5 days, we fed Boe GI food paste mixed with rice. He got better. We thought this was all over and he was healthy so we put Boe back on Blue Buffalo Saturday night and all day Sunday. Monday Boe threw up again. Twice we took him off the Blue Buffalo only to have him get better. And then he would start throwing up once it got into his system. All the tests have come back clear and his environment has been consistent. The only thing that has changed it the Maybe this is a bad bag? Maybe this is related to Blue Buffalo openly admitting that there are chicken by-products in their food. I just know that Boe will never eat their food again.

Before I finish - I would just like to address their statement where they admit that their food has chicken by-product "unknowingly to them" - The whole altercation means 1 of 2 things. 1) They knew about the previous bad reputation of the supplier and looked the other way; or 2) They haven't been doing quality checking. Both of those are pretty bad. I know chicken by-product won't hurt Boe - but who knows what else is in there... they obviously don't. I'd also like to point out that I have been paying premium price for chicken meal and was sold chicken by-product at a pretty high price. BB has stated that there will not be a recall as far as they are concerned. If what I'm buying doesn't match the labels - there should be a recall.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

Last year my dog got sick eating Blue Buffalo chicken & rice. My dog only ate this, no people food, no treats. When I complained their legal dept refused to allow customer service to talk with me. They say no proof that it was from their food even though all he ate. Complained to attorney general and their response is they object to what I said about them and their vet. Seems they spend more on their legal dept than the quality of their product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

We have been using Blue Buffalo with our small Pomeranian for about 1 year, and also with our new 5 month old Rottweiler. Up until late November 2014, everything seemed okay, until our Rottweiler puppy started vomiting and having diarrhea consistently over a couple of days. We took her to the vet and they ran tests and everything came back negative (no parasites) - nothing. We fasted her prior to taking her to the vet, and then began giving her a boiled chicken and rice diet. It took a few days for her to pass, but no diarrhea or vomiting. We just now started 12/6/2014, transitioning her back to Blue Buffalo, giving her a mix of the chicken/rice along with about a 1/2 cup of Blue Buffalo. She had diarrhea this morning!! So, now we know it is the food! Please DO NOT purchase Blue Buffalo! We are taking both of our dogs off of Blue Buffalo immediately! We will continue to feed them a chicken/rice diet until we can start transitioning to a new dog food. We will begin using Nutro as soon as possible. Royal Canin is a bit out of our budget range.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

I started feeding my 5 year old, very healthy male cat Blue Buffalo dry and wet food five months ago. I saw all of the advertising and thought I was doing the right thing for him. Well, about three weeks ago, he started moaning when he went to the litter box. He stopped eating, refused to even drink water, and then went into hiding. We took him to the emergency vet. Five hours and $500 later, the vet shows us an x-ray of his bladder. His bladder was blocked because it was filled with struck the struvite crystals.

The vet asked us if he had had UT problems in the past. We said not at all. She then asked if we had changed his diet recently. When we then told her about the change to Blue Buffalo, she got an odd look on her face. She said that she had seen a "number" of emergency bladder blockages in cats lately whose owners were feeding them Blue Buffalo. And although she could not "prove" that BB was the cause, she strongly recommended us to cease feeding him BB.

The saga continued when we had to take our cat to our regular vet the next day. He was hospitalized for a week and a half. He was catheterized for several days with the urine filled with blood and urine. The blockage was so bad that at one point the vet said that he might have to perform surgery. Thankfully, our cat improved and all of the crystals passed. This disaster cost us $1300 and a lot of anguish and guilt. I am positive that BB made this otherwise healthy cat gravely ill and near death.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

BB Healthy Start Divine Delights & Savory Sizzlers/Beef Sausages - My 6 yr. old Yorkie died last night. And after reading all these other complaints I believe it has a lot to do with your food. My little baby girl experienced a lot of the same: yellowish vomit then white foamy vomit; white foamy in her little mouth; statuesque - by just standing there - when I picked her up she couldn't even give me kisses! My precious little one has eaten the BB Divine Delights for about 2 years now - there didn't seem to be a problem until now. When I looked to see if there were any recalls I was directed here. There were times she would just sniff her food and walk away. We didn't understand what was going on as she seemed to like BB.

Yesterday (4 Dec 14) I took her for her usual morning walk before I headed out to work - 5:45 AM. When I came home from work she wasn't there to greet me. I noticed vomit on the rug - yellowish piles and white foamy piles. When I located my baby girl she just stood there - barely able to stand and barely able to look at me. I rushed her to my vet who started fluids/tests immediately. My baby girl was 80% dehydrated - I couldn't believe it as she was drinking as usual until yesterday when her water bowl did not have a drop left in it. The toxins in her liver where in the 1,000’s when they should only be 80-100.

I have contacted BB for some answers but they have not returned my calls. Does anyone know of anywhere else I can go to try to get some answers besides complaining here??? I truly believe BB food & treats killed my precious baby girl. Please DO NOT purchase this food or any of BB products. They should not be allowed to shelf this stuff as it is killing our babies!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

I started her on this food about two months ago. She is only 4 months old. She is on her second bag of the Blue Buffalo Living Healthy Kitten. Just two days ago she started have diarrhea really bad. She is containing herself to the litter box though. Could it be from the food? She did get into some dog food on Monday, but she still shouldn't be sick on Friday. It has to be the food. She is strictly an indoor cat.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

Since this site won't let me reply, only write my own review, here goes. I use Blue food almost exclusively. I do cat rescue, have since I was a kid. Growing up with a nutritionist/nurse for a mom, we did primarily medical cases. Not just cats in casts or whatever. We actually did more with cats and even small dogs with either vomiting or diarrhea that standard treatment hadn't helped. There isn't a cooked or raw diet I haven't prepared at least once! The basics line is really good at dealing with protein sensitivities. I use it for that all the time because when you're talking about a shelter pet, if they can't eat SOMETHING that comes in a bag, forget them ever getting adopted!

The major thing to remember with the LID formulas is there is just ONE protein there, so you can have 2 responses. Either what they are having problems with isn't there and they do great...... OR the protein there IS the problem and they get worse!! LOTS worse!! The upside of that is you just found your dog or cat's allergy trigger. Now you know what to avoid! If you put him on Salmon Basics and he got worse, likelihood is his trigger is salmon or fish in general. Either way, try a fish-free formula. Basics Turkey or Duck or Wellness Lamb would be my next choice. If neither of them worked, it's probably time to have the allergy testing done since what's left are such common ingredients that trying to avoid it without knowing exactly WHAT you're avoiding is all but impossible.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

I have a four year old Rottie mix and a 9 month old husky/Shepherd. I've been feeding them BB for 6 months. They have been eating less and less of this food for the past three months. The Rottie has lost weight and started having thick drool like he's never had before. Now the husky is lying around, less energy, she slinks like her stomach hurts. She just ate 1 1/2 hours ago. Both have had increasing bouts of gas and nasty diarrhea. She almost can't make it to the dog run. Also she has started mildly throwing up this week after she eats. Their poop is quickly growing fuzzy mold and it's very mucusy. Nothing else has changed, we haven't been anywhere, so I'm changing their food today. For $50/bag, I expect the best ingredients. This is totally unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

We have an 11-month-old Boxer/lab puppy. She has been given Fromm puppy food since we got her at 8 weeks. The Fromm dog food is hard to find so we decided we would switch her to Blue Buffalo since it seemed like the same quality and around the same price. The first day, she vomited 3 times that night. She's a pretty finicky eater as it is, so when she wouldn't eat as much we would add wet food or once in a while a raw egg to her food. She's vomited 5-6 times in the last 3-4 days which is not like her at all. She also had the worst farts and a few days we could hear her stomach in the next room with how much noise it was making from gas. She hasn't been lethargic or acting sick and her poop seemed to be the same consistency (she has always had pretty soft poop). We couldn't figure out what it was until coming on here and reading reviews. The only thing we have changed is the food we gave her. We are switching back to Fromm today!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

I have been a BB dog food customer for years. They send a $10 rebate in an email and I find out this applies to only large dog food. Why send me the coupon and why discriminate small dogs.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

I've been feeding my Jack Russell Terrier Blue Buffalo dog food for years and years because it is supposed to be the best. Three weeks ago I bought some of their new Lamb and Brown Rice dog food for my senior dog and my 1 year old Jack Russell's. Last Monday, my 16 year old starting throwing up, diarrhea and eventually massively bleeding from within. I took him to the ER on Saturday where he passed away. Now my other dog is experiencing the same symptoms and I am seeking treatment immediately. I've been told to stop feeding them this food immediately and from what I've read on this website, I'm not the only one. I lost my best friend and it was because I was "buying the best" for him. I'm hoping something comes out regarding this before too many more pets pass away. Just awful.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

I switched my dog food due to allergies. He's a very active and happy dog and he's had one full bag of the BB and already showing signs of diarrhea and gas. He's been lethargic as well. Very concerned. Read reviews and worried! He's been through the initial phase from his current feed and mixing in little amounts of new and now on BB fully - he's not himself.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Thinking that Blue Buffalo was a high quality cat food I purchased it for my indoor cats. Having just adopted a healthy, loving 6 month old kitty from the local shelter I thought we were helping her out. She was in perfect health. The first week we had her she was in good health but a week later she had intractable diarrhea. Her stool came back negative for any issues. Her stools became liquid one week after bringing her home. When we took her to be spayed (thinking she was perhaps getting better) the vet said after they gave anesthesia the stool rolled out off her like water. She has actually lost weight during the couple weeks from shelter to home! I was horrified!

Looking at all of the possibilities the only thing I could figure out was the Blue Buffalo cat food which was new to her. After desperately seeking a solution to her problem I stumbled upon this forum and I am absolutely disgusted at the evident poor and dangerous quality of Blue Buffalo cat food!!! I have been lied to and it has put my animals in grave danger. My little kitty is now on a digestive recovery food and seems to be going in the right direction again.

Shame on this company for promoting a product that is evidently killing cats and dogs slowly through whatever toxic substance they are adding to their inferior and frankly dangerous product. I have discarded the packaging from this last bag of cat food since I put it in a container once opened. I am sad and very angry to find out the sham this company obviously is!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

Picked up a very healthy happy Yorkie puppy about 5 weeks ago, after a week of slowly transitioning over to Blue Buffalo Freedom puppy food she became weak, lethargic and had what appeared to be seizures. After several trips to the vet no answers, symptoms were similar to liver shunt but after changing her food to all homemade and fresh she is a completely different full of energy puppy. No further symptoms occurred after stopping Blue Buffalo. Threw away the whole bag. Do your research, this food is junk!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Follow up to my May 2014 review - my dog died last night. Recap of May 2014: we switched to BB Wilderness food and within a week or two, both of our dogs became violently ill. One recovered, the other one developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Protein Losing Enteropathy. He had trouble processing certain proteins and they would leak out of his intestines and into/around his lungs and heart. It took about 2 months of steroids and hand cooked meals to get him back to "normal" but it was a gradual downward spiral until earlier this week when he just couldn't fight anymore.

I don't have 100% proof that this is what killed him, however both dogs got sick from it and worst case scenario, it didn't help what may have been a pre-existing inclination towards something like this. If your dog starts coughing, take him to the vet ASAP and start feeding him/her fresh foods if at all possible. Even BB has no idea what is going into their own foods, as they made clear recently when they admitted chicken byproducts were "somehow" in their food....makes you think what else is "somehow" finding its way in there. If anyone has any questions about these issues feel free to email me. I feel like I've become an expert on dog digestion since making this fatal mistake 6 months ago. **

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I wanted to do something nice for my three cats, get them some awesome food no matter the price. I switched my cats on BB the last week of October. They all seem fine, but for over a week now, my much smaller, older female cat has been acting insane. She started off screaming bloody murder, and that's when I began to find the endless piles of awful diarrhea hidden around the house. The other two male cats seem fine as of now. They do endlessly beg in the kitchen more than normal, but I haven't caught any irregularities in bowel movements. My female Schiller is looking worse as the days go by. I had to move her to a dog crate with a litter box and some BB/water because the diarrhea was destroying my home. I came home from work today and found she tried to eat the BB but vomited inside the bowl, along with being covered in diarrhea. Her little butt is scary BEAT red. All my cats are healthy indoor cats with a spoiled great life. After reading these reviews, I am certain this food is contaminated.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Blue wilderness cat food made all three of my cats sick, vomiting and diarrhea. Very upset with this product. For how much it cost, not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

This dog food made my dogs very sick, one almost died. $1500 vet bill - Some reviews. I've bought a bag of Blue Wilderness Puppy and some wet food, same Blue Buffalo like a month ago. My 7 month old puppy was fine for a couple of weeks and then started having diarrhea now and then. He is a bull terrier and chews things so I blamed that although I watch him like a hawk. Both out and inside the house is puppy proof. Finally he had persistent diarrhea with blood in it. He was sleeping all the time and had like asthma attacks breathing through his nose very fast as if gasping for air. We rushed him to the hospital where a vet told us that BB IS NOT a good food to have a dog on. Nothing was wrong with a dog, poop sample is fine, he got fluids, antibiotics just in case, and special vet food. He started eating the special food last night and still had 5 piles of diarrhea with blood this morning and refused to eat.

Tonight he is finally feeling better, acts normal again and just ate. But I got Really scared. Before we switched to BB (it was his first bag) we fed Science Diet which also had chicken for protein. Our dog is babied, he gets a lot of exercise, love and attention and he got really sick. I registered here specifically to Warn people about BB! I did research online yesterday and it seems to be happening a lot, with dry food bags expiring 2015!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

I have been feeding my labradoodle who will be 5 on May 17, 2015 for the last 4 years. I had tried multiple other foods and she would constantly vomit. After switching about 4 or 5 times the first year I tried the grain free duck recipe from Blue and she has not puked or had any problem since. I even was worried it was our water since we do live in a rural area and bought a bottle water dispenser but since changing was able to remove that from the house and have not had any additional problems. I will say though that if your dog does not get a lot of exercise (we live on 5 acres fenced) then the grain free is probably not a good idea because it is very high protein. My sister used the same food on her schipoo and he gained a few pounds pretty quick but he is a lap dog and is not very active.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

Rebate coupon for $10 would not print out. They would not send the coupon or the rebate (after filling out the coupon) to a post office box. There is no such thing as any national dog food manufacturer that has not caused pet deaths. So it is time to move on and Blue Buffalo is no exception.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

We feed our dog, Emma, homemade food and treats because she is allergic to wheat. I was out of the country and we ran out of treats, so my mom thought it would be okay to try her on Blue Buffalo. Emma nearly finished the bag before I threw the remaining handful in the trash. She became super incontinent for 10 days and then got very sick. She was hospitalized for 3 nights and the doctors kept asking if she got into rat poison because her blood work came back showing high calcium + high phosphorus which often indicates high Vitamin D. She does not have kidney failure or liver failure. I looked up on the internet about Blue Buffalo only to learn they recalled some of their food back in 2010 due to high Vitamin D and 36 dogs were very sick after consuming their product. Are they having the same problem now? We are in the process of tracking down our receipt of purchase for the treats.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

I have two cats who have both been having bad reactions to their Blue Buffalo food. I switched to the brand over a year ago, and one of them’s been barfing 3-5 times a month, while the other's been having constant diarrhea. They are indoor cats, so I'm able to monitor what they eat. Been around cats my whole life and know this is NOT a normal reaction. Frustrated because I want what's best for them but no longer think it's this food brand.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

A few months ago, I switched from Purina to Blue Buffalo grain free dry cat food. It was recommended by my local pet store, Pet Supplies Plus. My four cats seemed to like it, and I felt like I was doing well by them. The food isn't cheap! I have a cat that has skin issues and it cleared them up right away. My cat Eric, had always been overweight, so when he began losing weight, I took it as a good thing. I thought because he was receiving better nutrition and less filler, he was losing the weight. When we started the food, he was twelve pounds, now he is nine, and still shrinking. When bones began to protrude from his entire body, I became very worried. I was considering taking him to the vet, but the next day, it became even more urgent. He started refusing food and water, and was very weak. I took him to the vet and they did a blood test. They determined that it was feline hepatic lipidosis, which is a condition affecting the liver. The inside of his mouth is yellow, he is depressed, vomits frequently, and is still refusing food and water.

After spending $300 that I couldn't afford (and right before Christmas), I was given several meds and IV sub-q fluids I must administer on my own. I have been having to syringe feed him food and water several times a day, most of which he vomits up. I'm so scared and angry about what has happened. The vet said the underlying cause could be several things, one of which was a toxin introduced. I am convinced Blue Buffalo is to blame. I have taken my other cats of this food, and thrown the remaining food away. This food needs to be recalled, before more precious pets are made sick. I was shocked to find this website. How can 800+ bad reviews, claiming injury and death be a coincidence?! They can't. That's not how things work.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

Angry doesn't even begin to describe how I feel! We bought our very 1st bag of Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Dog food for our 11yo black lab Logan 2 weeks ago 11/7/14, as his current brand was changing formulations and I'd heard that this brand was really good. We started slowing adding the blue wilderness slowly, progressing to 1/2 and 1/2 this past week. He started wanting to go out during the night (always slept through night), drinking tons of water, on Tuesday and Wednesday nights last week. We had snow so never thought to look at his stool in yard. By Thursday night, was visibly sick and wouldn't eat the dry food, but wolfed down 1/2 can of Vet canned GI food. Took Logan to the vet on Friday, and our Vet was certain he's got into "some kind of poison". He had very little red blood cells, very low iron count, and no platelets - basically our dog was bleeding to death. Our vet tried to counteract with Vitamin K and steroids, but nothing worked. He died from a massive gastrointestinal bleed - bleeding profusely from his nose and rectum on Friday night. We will be having the food checked by a toxicologist, and I have all his stools from the yard. It's the only think of to do. Beware!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

I fed my pregnant female the Blue Buffalo Puppy formula dry dog food. Her along with my male had absolutely no problems with this food. My male actually gained some weight which I approved of since he was a little under weight. After my female had her litter I continued the puppy food thru the nursing period and all the pups were very active and healthy. I sold all the pups at 9 weeks and switched gradually over to the senior formula. This is when I noticed a problem. My female would throw up daily and started to lose her fur. Her beautiful red hair color turned to a dingy faded color. I started to research Blue Buffalo's claim about the purity of their dog food when I came across the claims made by Purina. As I read on with other pet owners experiences, I noticed they had the same problems. I immediately discontinued Blue Buffalo brand food and purchase a Purina brand. The vomiting stopped right away and I continued now only with this brand and type. I'm not making any claims here, I just want happy, healthy pets. You be the judge.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

I have a two year old lab, I have been giving her Blue Buffalo since she was a puppy. About two weeks ago she started having bad diarrhea and vomiting. We thought maybe she got into something in the yard. We took her to the vet and they could not find anything wrong. They put her on medication and I gave her rice and meat for a few days. My husband thought it could be her food so we threw it away a full bag that she only ate from for three days.

After three days of the rice and meds I try to mix a very small amount of her food back in with the rice. A few hours later my dog was sick with diarrhea again. I am throwing out the brand new bag that I haven't even used a half a cup from. After reading the other posts I was upset, it has to be her food. There is no other explanation. I switched to Hill's ideal balance Made in USA. I will not risk another try, I love my dog, as do you. DON'T GIVE YOUR DOG ANY BLUE BUFFALO PRODUCTS!!! It can't all be coincidental with the same symptoms.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

We have been feeding our Corgi mix and our son's boxer Blue Buffalo for some time with no adverse effects. The boxer has soft stools but the Corgi's stools are fine. About a month ago, we bought a bag from Petsmart and it had bugs growing in it. We took it back and the other bags on the shelf were all bad. So I wonder if the bad bags all came from Petsmart and it is actually a Petsmart problem. Where do they store the food before it's shipped to stores?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information