2.29/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1924 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

I switched my dog food due to allergies. He's a very active and happy dog and he's had one full bag of the BB and already showing signs of diarrhea and gas. He's been lethargic as well. Very concerned. Read reviews and worried! He's been through the initial phase from his current feed and mixing in little amounts of new and now on BB fully - he's not himself.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Thinking that Blue Buffalo was a high quality cat food I purchased it for my indoor cats. Having just adopted a healthy, loving 6 month old kitty from the local shelter I thought we were helping her out. She was in perfect health. The first week we had her she was in good health but a week later she had intractable diarrhea. Her stool came back negative for any issues. Her stools became liquid one week after bringing her home. When we took her to be spayed (thinking she was perhaps getting better) the vet said after they gave anesthesia the stool rolled out off her like water. She has actually lost weight during the couple weeks from shelter to home! I was horrified!

Looking at all of the possibilities the only thing I could figure out was the Blue Buffalo cat food which was new to her. After desperately seeking a solution to her problem I stumbled upon this forum and I am absolutely disgusted at the evident poor and dangerous quality of Blue Buffalo cat food!!! I have been lied to and it has put my animals in grave danger. My little kitty is now on a digestive recovery food and seems to be going in the right direction again.

Shame on this company for promoting a product that is evidently killing cats and dogs slowly through whatever toxic substance they are adding to their inferior and frankly dangerous product. I have discarded the packaging from this last bag of cat food since I put it in a container once opened. I am sad and very angry to find out the sham this company obviously is!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

Picked up a very healthy happy Yorkie puppy about 5 weeks ago, after a week of slowly transitioning over to Blue Buffalo Freedom puppy food she became weak, lethargic and had what appeared to be seizures. After several trips to the vet no answers, symptoms were similar to liver shunt but after changing her food to all homemade and fresh she is a completely different full of energy puppy. No further symptoms occurred after stopping Blue Buffalo. Threw away the whole bag. Do your research, this food is junk!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Follow up to my May 2014 review - my dog died last night. Recap of May 2014: we switched to BB Wilderness food and within a week or two, both of our dogs became violently ill. One recovered, the other one developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Protein Losing Enteropathy. He had trouble processing certain proteins and they would leak out of his intestines and into/around his lungs and heart. It took about 2 months of steroids and hand cooked meals to get him back to "normal" but it was a gradual downward spiral until earlier this week when he just couldn't fight anymore.

I don't have 100% proof that this is what killed him, however both dogs got sick from it and worst case scenario, it didn't help what may have been a pre-existing inclination towards something like this. If your dog starts coughing, take him to the vet ASAP and start feeding him/her fresh foods if at all possible. Even BB has no idea what is going into their own foods, as they made clear recently when they admitted chicken byproducts were "somehow" in their food....makes you think what else is "somehow" finding its way in there. If anyone has any questions about these issues feel free to email me. I feel like I've become an expert on dog digestion since making this fatal mistake 6 months ago. **

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I wanted to do something nice for my three cats, get them some awesome food no matter the price. I switched my cats on BB the last week of October. They all seem fine, but for over a week now, my much smaller, older female cat has been acting insane. She started off screaming bloody murder, and that's when I began to find the endless piles of awful diarrhea hidden around the house. The other two male cats seem fine as of now. They do endlessly beg in the kitchen more than normal, but I haven't caught any irregularities in bowel movements. My female Schiller is looking worse as the days go by. I had to move her to a dog crate with a litter box and some BB/water because the diarrhea was destroying my home. I came home from work today and found she tried to eat the BB but vomited inside the bowl, along with being covered in diarrhea. Her little butt is scary BEAT red. All my cats are healthy indoor cats with a spoiled great life. After reading these reviews, I am certain this food is contaminated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Blue wilderness cat food made all three of my cats sick, vomiting and diarrhea. Very upset with this product. For how much it cost, not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

This dog food made my dogs very sick, one almost died. $1500 vet bill - Some reviews. I've bought a bag of Blue Wilderness Puppy and some wet food, same Blue Buffalo like a month ago. My 7 month old puppy was fine for a couple of weeks and then started having diarrhea now and then. He is a bull terrier and chews things so I blamed that although I watch him like a hawk. Both out and inside the house is puppy proof. Finally he had persistent diarrhea with blood in it. He was sleeping all the time and had like asthma attacks breathing through his nose very fast as if gasping for air. We rushed him to the hospital where a vet told us that BB IS NOT a good food to have a dog on. Nothing was wrong with a dog, poop sample is fine, he got fluids, antibiotics just in case, and special vet food. He started eating the special food last night and still had 5 piles of diarrhea with blood this morning and refused to eat.

Tonight he is finally feeling better, acts normal again and just ate. But I got Really scared. Before we switched to BB (it was his first bag) we fed Science Diet which also had chicken for protein. Our dog is babied, he gets a lot of exercise, love and attention and he got really sick. I registered here specifically to Warn people about BB! I did research online yesterday and it seems to be happening a lot, with dry food bags expiring 2015!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

I have been feeding my labradoodle who will be 5 on May 17, 2015 for the last 4 years. I had tried multiple other foods and she would constantly vomit. After switching about 4 or 5 times the first year I tried the grain free duck recipe from Blue and she has not puked or had any problem since. I even was worried it was our water since we do live in a rural area and bought a bottle water dispenser but since changing was able to remove that from the house and have not had any additional problems. I will say though that if your dog does not get a lot of exercise (we live on 5 acres fenced) then the grain free is probably not a good idea because it is very high protein. My sister used the same food on her schipoo and he gained a few pounds pretty quick but he is a lap dog and is not very active.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

Rebate coupon for $10 would not print out. They would not send the coupon or the rebate (after filling out the coupon) to a post office box. There is no such thing as any national dog food manufacturer that has not caused pet deaths. So it is time to move on and Blue Buffalo is no exception.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

We feed our dog, Emma, homemade food and treats because she is allergic to wheat. I was out of the country and we ran out of treats, so my mom thought it would be okay to try her on Blue Buffalo. Emma nearly finished the bag before I threw the remaining handful in the trash. She became super incontinent for 10 days and then got very sick. She was hospitalized for 3 nights and the doctors kept asking if she got into rat poison because her blood work came back showing high calcium + high phosphorus which often indicates high Vitamin D. She does not have kidney failure or liver failure. I looked up on the internet about Blue Buffalo only to learn they recalled some of their food back in 2010 due to high Vitamin D and 36 dogs were very sick after consuming their product. Are they having the same problem now? We are in the process of tracking down our receipt of purchase for the treats.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

I have two cats who have both been having bad reactions to their Blue Buffalo food. I switched to the brand over a year ago, and one of them’s been barfing 3-5 times a month, while the other's been having constant diarrhea. They are indoor cats, so I'm able to monitor what they eat. Been around cats my whole life and know this is NOT a normal reaction. Frustrated because I want what's best for them but no longer think it's this food brand.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

A few months ago, I switched from Purina to Blue Buffalo grain free dry cat food. It was recommended by my local pet store, Pet Supplies Plus. My four cats seemed to like it, and I felt like I was doing well by them. The food isn't cheap! I have a cat that has skin issues and it cleared them up right away. My cat Eric, had always been overweight, so when he began losing weight, I took it as a good thing. I thought because he was receiving better nutrition and less filler, he was losing the weight. When we started the food, he was twelve pounds, now he is nine, and still shrinking. When bones began to protrude from his entire body, I became very worried. I was considering taking him to the vet, but the next day, it became even more urgent. He started refusing food and water, and was very weak. I took him to the vet and they did a blood test. They determined that it was feline hepatic lipidosis, which is a condition affecting the liver. The inside of his mouth is yellow, he is depressed, vomits frequently, and is still refusing food and water.

After spending $300 that I couldn't afford (and right before Christmas), I was given several meds and IV sub-q fluids I must administer on my own. I have been having to syringe feed him food and water several times a day, most of which he vomits up. I'm so scared and angry about what has happened. The vet said the underlying cause could be several things, one of which was a toxin introduced. I am convinced Blue Buffalo is to blame. I have taken my other cats of this food, and thrown the remaining food away. This food needs to be recalled, before more precious pets are made sick. I was shocked to find this website. How can 800+ bad reviews, claiming injury and death be a coincidence?! They can't. That's not how things work.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

Angry doesn't even begin to describe how I feel! We bought our very 1st bag of Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Dog food for our 11yo black lab Logan 2 weeks ago 11/7/14, as his current brand was changing formulations and I'd heard that this brand was really good. We started slowing adding the blue wilderness slowly, progressing to 1/2 and 1/2 this past week. He started wanting to go out during the night (always slept through night), drinking tons of water, on Tuesday and Wednesday nights last week. We had snow so never thought to look at his stool in yard. By Thursday night, was visibly sick and wouldn't eat the dry food, but wolfed down 1/2 can of Vet canned GI food. Took Logan to the vet on Friday, and our Vet was certain he's got into "some kind of poison". He had very little red blood cells, very low iron count, and no platelets - basically our dog was bleeding to death. Our vet tried to counteract with Vitamin K and steroids, but nothing worked. He died from a massive gastrointestinal bleed - bleeding profusely from his nose and rectum on Friday night. We will be having the food checked by a toxicologist, and I have all his stools from the yard. It's the only think of to do. Beware!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

I fed my pregnant female the Blue Buffalo Puppy formula dry dog food. Her along with my male had absolutely no problems with this food. My male actually gained some weight which I approved of since he was a little under weight. After my female had her litter I continued the puppy food thru the nursing period and all the pups were very active and healthy. I sold all the pups at 9 weeks and switched gradually over to the senior formula. This is when I noticed a problem. My female would throw up daily and started to lose her fur. Her beautiful red hair color turned to a dingy faded color. I started to research Blue Buffalo's claim about the purity of their dog food when I came across the claims made by Purina. As I read on with other pet owners experiences, I noticed they had the same problems. I immediately discontinued Blue Buffalo brand food and purchase a Purina brand. The vomiting stopped right away and I continued now only with this brand and type. I'm not making any claims here, I just want happy, healthy pets. You be the judge.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

I have a two year old lab, I have been giving her Blue Buffalo since she was a puppy. About two weeks ago she started having bad diarrhea and vomiting. We thought maybe she got into something in the yard. We took her to the vet and they could not find anything wrong. They put her on medication and I gave her rice and meat for a few days. My husband thought it could be her food so we threw it away a full bag that she only ate from for three days.

After three days of the rice and meds I try to mix a very small amount of her food back in with the rice. A few hours later my dog was sick with diarrhea again. I am throwing out the brand new bag that I haven't even used a half a cup from. After reading the other posts I was upset, it has to be her food. There is no other explanation. I switched to Hill's ideal balance Made in USA. I will not risk another try, I love my dog, as do you. DON'T GIVE YOUR DOG ANY BLUE BUFFALO PRODUCTS!!! It can't all be coincidental with the same symptoms.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

We have been feeding our Corgi mix and our son's boxer Blue Buffalo for some time with no adverse effects. The boxer has soft stools but the Corgi's stools are fine. About a month ago, we bought a bag from Petsmart and it had bugs growing in it. We took it back and the other bags on the shelf were all bad. So I wonder if the bad bags all came from Petsmart and it is actually a Petsmart problem. Where do they store the food before it's shipped to stores?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

My Experience with Blue Buffalo hasn't been as horrendous as most reviewers here but I have stopped using this food for a number of reasons. We have a 1 1/2 yr. old Brussels Griffon and 1 1/2 yr. old Pekapoo mix. Both have been fed Blue Buffalo since about 8 weeks of age. Both dogs seemed to tolerate the food okay although our Peekapoo has been a very finicky eater and usually only will eat her food after the other one threatens to take it. Our Brussels on the other hand will eat anything and everything and since we got him would occasionally throw up (once every week or two)... usually bile, sometimes with undigested kibble mixed in. I had always attributed this to him eating other things he shouldn't be. I still felt uncomfortable with him having such frequent bouts of vomiting at such a young age.

So a few months ago I decided I would start trying another brand of food to see it would help any. I ended up buying a small bag of Taste of the Wild Prairie formula to try out because it had similar ingredients, was also grain free and had excellent reviews. For the first 30 days of transitioning him to the new food, I gave him his meal in two separate bowls, one with the new Taste of the Wild, One with the Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Two things have happened since I started the process. First, every single day through the transitioning period, he would eat the Taste of the Wild first, lick the bowl clean and then move on and finish the bowl of Blue Buffalo. Secondly, he has not thrown up a single time since moving on to the new food... almost 3 months now.

I was so pleased with the results I started offering some of the Taste of the Wild to our peekapoo. She's a bit smaller so I didn't think she would like the larger kibble size. Through the first week of offering it to her, she has cleaned out the bowl of the new food and let the Blue Buffalo sit without touching it... every time. That was already enough first hand information for me to move on from this food, now let's look at the company Blue Buffalo itself. Founded by Bill Bishop who previously cofounded Sobe Lifewater and later sold out to Pepsi, and prior to that was a marketing guru for several other beverage companies. This guy is a marketing genius and had no prior experience with animal health or nutrition.

Most pet food brands have started out as family run feed mills that have been around for decades. I'm not implying that this information should automatically make BB untrustworthy but it's something to think about. Blue Buffalo undoubtedly staffs any number of pet nutritionists to help develop their formulas and I am confident that their food is still better than many grocery store brands you can buy...but...when it comes down to it, are you going to trust a marketing guy who just jumped into the pet food industry with the intentions of making himself even richer or someone who's been in the business for decades?

Now lets look at the ongoing lawsuit between Purina and Blue Buffalo. In May of 2014, Purina filed suit against Blue claiming false advertising by the company. They provide expert analysis showing that despite what Blue Buffalo claims, there is indeed a significant amount of poultry by-product meal found in their food, along with a sampling of other things that shouldn't be there such as corn and rice hulls. Blue Buffalo ferociously fires back at these claims calling them flat out lies, even providing their own expert analysis to disparage Purina's independent testing. A quote from Bill Bishop himself:

"I'm writing to you about the lawsuit Nestle Purina filed today alleging that Blue Buffalo has lied to you about the ingredients in our pet foods. We categorically deny all of these false allegations and will aggressively defend the integrity of our brand and our products. It is an easy thing to make unsubstantiated claims, put them in a lawsuit and then publish them all over the web to disparage and defame a company. It is quite another thing to prove those allegations."

Fast forward a few months to October and Blue Buffalo releases a statement saying that there is in fact poultry by product meal in their foods. Of course they place the blame entirely on one of their suppliers for mislabeling ingredients even going further to say that every other food manufacturer is using those same ingredients. It seems to me that...even if the company really didn't know about the mishap which I highly doubt, a prudent pet food manufacturer would test their ingredients when they arrive at their processing facility to you know...make sure they contain what the label says. But then again, Blue Buffalo doesn't even tell you where their food is manufactured. Does this sound like a trustworthy company to you?

Since moving on to Taste of the Wild, I can't say I have reason to feel 100% safe because the brand is associated with Diamond Pet foods who have somewhat of a history of recalls on their food as most companies have. However at least the company actually DOES test their food and issues recalls when there is a problem. I'll take that over a brand that adamantly refuses any wrong doing just to save face while pets nationwide are getting sick off of their food.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

Our dog would whine at his dog dish and we didn't know why. We noticed that he wasn't eating his food, but we persisted in only feeding the dog his senior food. We kept telling him, "You got plenty of food and water, what more do you want?" Now looking back on his behavior, I wished that we would have discontinued feeding him that brand. He was so sick that we brought him to the vets. They were very concerned over his condition and had him on IVs. He seemed to recover for a time after we fed him only chicken and rice. Unknowingly we kept feeding him his regular dog food after he got better. One morning I found him lying on the floor and barely responsive. He died a short time later. Had we only gone with our suspicions and discontinued feeding him BB, he may still be alive.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

I'd been feeding my two cats Blue Buffalo for 5-6 months. They ate both wet and dry products. My older cat, Sadie, was about 11 or 12 years old, but still active and curious. My kitten, Nala, was extremely hyper. Sadie didn't really like the Blue food. Nala gobbled it up. She loved it. I thought all was well. In late September/early October, Sadie started appearing "sick." I ended up taking her to an emergency vet, and I was told she had a multitude of issues, one of them being small kidneys/kidney failure. I tragically had to let her go on October 6, 2014. I attributed her death to a combination of old age and infections.

Now it is almost 2 months later, and my Nala is staying overnight at the same emergency vet I had to take Sadie to. Two nights ago, Nala threw up a large amount of food, and then lost control of her bladder on me. "She ate too much," we said. After that episode, she was lethargic (very odd for her). "Maybe she has a cold," we said. Later, she refused dinner. Refusing dinner? That's absolutely not like her. So, $1000 later at the vet, X-rays show gas, feces backed up in her colon, and food stuck in her stomach. An inability to use the bathroom. High white blood cell count. All tests for viruses are negative. The vets are puzzled, as there is no blockage or foreign body in her GI tract. There is no reason for her terrible constipation.

Two enemas later, she still is not passing anything. What on Earth could cause a cat to suddenly stop having bowel movements? I started searching online for clues, and happened upon these reviews. Why is it that all these otherwise healthy pets, who happened to eat Blue in the last few months, are dying? I am switching Nala's food immediately, and am hoping she can come home soon. If she is not able to eat or have a bowel movement soon, I don't know what I will do with myself. The FDA and Blue Buffalo are about to get an earful from me.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

I fed my 10 lb Mini Schnauzer Blue Basic for over a year with no issues, in May 2014 I had a problem finding it so I switched to Blue Life Protection Formula for small breeds. My two year old dog began vomiting occasionally with a white foamy substance and always mid-day. My vet said it was typical of breed. However the episodes became daily and turned to foamy bile. When I researched online I found this long list of complaints. I immediately switched her to Natural Diet Limited Ingredients Diet. She hasn't vomited since and it has been over a month since I switched brands.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2014

We fed our cats Blue Buffalo Dry for several years, and all 3 of our males died. Two of inflammatory bowel disease, one from small bowel cancer. The Blue Buffalo Dry we fed has barley and rice in it. Avoid at ALL costs. Feed a high-quality canned food instead. Something with NO grain and NO gluten.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2014

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

My British bulldog became lethargic and sick with explosive yellow colored diarrhea with blood in it and vomiting last week. She has been eating Blue Buffalo Senior for about two years with no problem. I purchased the last bag two weeks ago. After eating it for a week she became lethargic and started having episodes of the shakes, followed by diarrhea and vomiting. She spent 5 days at the vet and they couldn't find any problems in her stool samples. They changed her diet and we brought her home after she made a firmer stool at the vets. We fed her the prescription food for 3 more days and she was fine. The fourth day home we mixed the prescription food from the vet half and half with her regular blue buffalo Senior food and that night she started the yellow diarrhea again. We put her on a diet of white rice for the next 3 days and she was back to normal.

She is now on Fromm Grain Free food and has been doing great for the last week. The reason we feed her grain free is because two years ago she started losing plugs of hair all of the sudden while eating regular Blue buffalo Food. Our vet said it could be the grain and we should switch her. So we stayed with the Blue Buffalo brand. In my opinion Blue Buffalo is changing their recipes and refuses to take any accountability for the problems it causes. I got in touch with a regional sales rep and he told me flat out that the $500 dollar vet bill was my problem and not Blue Buffalo's.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

We recently adopted a 9 month old mixed breed. While at the pet store, a rep from Blue Buffalo, who was very friendly and what I thought helpful, recommended their product. He had been fed from a food bank and accustomed to a variety of foods so I did not have anything to transition with. We started him on the puppy lamb and Oatmeal. He liked it. Gradually he developed diarrhea, which I expected with the abrupt change in diet and new family/home. On day 8 he had full blown liquid stools. I did some research to find out that several people were having the same problem with Blue Buffalo products. I started him on pumpkin/rice/chicken mash which he devoured as if he had not eaten in a week. On day 10, after stopping Blue Buffalo, he is now vomiting and pooping blood. Needless to say we have a trip to the vet scheduled and I have now missed 2 days of work. Wonder if Blue Buffalo will reimburse me for missed work and the vet bill? Highly doubt it considering they don't even answer the phone!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

I was just casually looking for where Blue Buffalo was made and came across this link. I started reading what seemed to be a repetitive story for both cats and dogs, all of them made me so sad and a few of them brought tears to my eyes. I also started my three cats on BB indoor grain free dry food in chicken and seafood. They really didn't like either but I thought they would eventually eat it and it is suppose to be great for them. This past weekend my Cayenne kitty, who is never been sick and is always happy and hungry, began howling like I have never heard her before. If freaked us out! She threw-up a few times and then the dreaded litter box episode where she howled again. Diarrhea! I knew it was something she ate, but what the can food or dry? Or since I live in Florida was it a lizard?

I have always known the rice and pumpkin diet, it always makes them feel better. Then slowly introduce their regular food. She is now on a wet food diet with no dry for two days and is feeling better. I can now feel confident it is the dry food. Then I came across this. I just picked up the dry food and will be taking it back to Petsmart tomorrow. It cannot be a coincidence that all these pets are getting sick in the month of Nov. I am not taking any chances. Thanks Consumer Affairs. I would have never known if it was not for your site.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

So, I have a 5-year-old male rotty/shep mix. Took him to Vet for check up recent minor surgery. I was concerned cause he had lost weight (without trying). But Vet was happy with his weight since he had been overweight and we did work on bringing him down from 142 to 125-127 lbs. He was 122.98. Vet said well he's a big boy a good poop could be 3 lbs. I just listened, but in the back of my head it didn't sit right with me. In the meantime I did notice that he wasn't as excited to eat actually quite apprehensive which is very unusual, but still displaying that he was hungry. He became lethargic and again I thought well maybe it's the meds and antibiotics from the surgery. Although again in my gut feeling something was "OFF" about my lively, loving furbaby.

I opened a new bag of BB chicken & rice healthy weight large breed & canned food that I only mix a little in with the dry kibble. I had noticed he started having looser stool and thought that was odd since they have been so solid even after the surgery. Well 3 days after his post surgery visit he became violently ill foaming at the mouth and salivating like a rabid St. Bernard. We got him settled in the house for the night and I slept with him cause I was so worried he was gonna throw up again. He slept through the night and seemed better in the morning. We Went for our morning walk after I fed him only 1 cup of kibble and a little wet. He did seem lethargic and thankfully we can take him to work with us so I could watch him all day.

I fed him just about a 1/4 cup kibble rice & wet food a few hours later. In the mean time I called the vet and talk to Dr. He said just watch him and if he throws up again just bring him in. Well, I noticed he was salivating bad again and decided to take him home thinking he was holding his vomit til we got home in his own backyard. I got him in the car & he vomited in the back seat of the car. I immediately drove to the vet. They did an exam on him and everything was fine, and they said he probably just had a gastrointestinal upset and sent me home with special wet food to feed him that was easily digestible, and a shot to stop the vomit, and gave him fluids. I asked the vet "Well if he is sick, isn't better to let him vomit to get whatever it is out of his system?" He said yes and no. The no being it's very hard on them throwing up.

We went over all the possibilities of poisons, etc. that he may have gotten into. Even the Vet said he was surprised because I watch him like a hawk & don't let him smell too much while walking, and always very cautious with him. That night was the worst. He stayed in the yard for 5 hours salivating and I really freaked out when he started digging in the grass almost frantically and burying his face in the ground!! My dog was digging his own grave!!! I was flipping out. So 5 hours of not leaving his side I finally got him in the house and again slept with him all night. He finally ate at 5 am, and again at 8 am. I have only been giving him the food from the vet, chicken & rice I made.

Everyday he seems a little better, but still very lethargic. He is not drinking a lot of water, so I am feeding him ice cubes. He is going #1 & #2 now. It has been 72 hours since this started and I have been literally beating myself up and racking my brain to think back on what could have happened what could he have gotten into when I turned my head for a second?? Was it the new squeaky balls I just got him? Were they contaminated?? What could it be? Then I sitting on the couch tonight & it popped into my head. HIS FOOD, what if it's his food? How could it be? He has been on BB strictly for 4 years now with never an issue!

So, I do a BB recall search and this site pops up & I start reading all the same stories, symptoms, and reading the same shock & disbelief that it really can be the BB that is harming all of our beloved furbabies! I am appalled that BB has not come forward thus far and done a voluntary recall.. I am not taking any chances. I am not feeding him anymore & switching brands now!! And yes, I will be contacting BB direct, and yes I will be taking my baby to Vet in the morning for blood work just to make sure no serious damage has happened! :(

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

Blue Buffalo meat comes from China. Blue Buffalo dog food killed 2 of my dogs. There is not much more to write. This dog food has a high probability of making your dog sick and/or kill your dog.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

I had to put my baby down yesterday. About a month ago he was showing signs of Cushing's disease. Drinking excessively, having accidents in the house, and severe back leg weakness. After tests confirmed a pituitary mass, I wanted to give him what I thought was the best food to help him gain his strength back. I switched him to BB Wilderness Holistic, senior formula. He just turned 13 on the 12th of November, but he was still very strong and full of energy prior to the Cushing's. After about a week on the BB, he developed very loose stools. I started mixing rice and yogurt in with the BB to try to help him. The stools got looser and looser until he was passing nothing but water. He was getting weaker, and I knew he had to be dehydrated, so I brought him to the vet for fluids. She also sent him home with an antibiotic for whatever was causing the diarrhea.

Eventually he got so weak, he stopped eating. I was lucky to get him to eat a few pieces of roast beef or ham. He was even too weak to eat his hard cookies. It seems that his downhill spiral started at the same time I switched him to the Blue Buffalo. It breaks my heart to think I was hurting him, when I thought I was doing the best for him. I had to make the agonizing decision yesterday, when he couldn't stand for more than 30 seconds. Prior to that, he lost all interest in going for rides in the car, which he usually got very excited about. The stairs were too much for him by that point. My guilt will be with me forever.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

My husband and I have been spending hundreds of dollars taking our dog to the vet over the last couple of months as he's had several bouts of dry heaving followed by throwing up. He's been put on anti-nausea meds, antibiotics, and a prescription wet food. He would get better for a couple of days, until we'd finish the course of meds and wet food and then start him back on his BB - Sensitive Formula. Soon after, he'd start the dry heaving and vomiting again. Since he's been eating BB for over two years now, we didn't think it could be his food. However, after reading these reviews and realizing the pattern, we have switched him to another kibble altogether. It's been a week now and he has not thrown up. Hopefully, we are done with this ordeal! I am so frustrated that more is not being done to make Blue Buffalo address these concerns.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

I have two dogs who have been fed BB for about 6 years. We started with the Venison, until they had a recall on that one, then we changed to Duck. They did fine up until about 3 months ago. Then started the vomiting, runny stools, and weight loss in my Staffordshire Terrier. Took them to the Vet, who knows we feed BB. He is the one that told me he was seeing lots of patients with BB having these issues. Stopped feeding BB and 1 week later, no more symptoms. I used to tell EVERYONE to buy BB, now I tell them to NOT buy BB. I called to complain, but was told there had not been any changes to the product. I could return it to the store for a refund, which I did.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information