2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

My pitbull been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness chicken for about 6+ years - no issues, best food and she loved it. However in November 2014 she started to get sick, vomiting, Diarrhea and not wanting to eat. I kept taking her to Vet and they just gave her shot and meds to go home for few days. She is an inside dog so I had no clue what was keeping her sick. I will put her on bland diet of rice and chicken and then switch her back to solids in about 3-4 days slowly as suggested by vet. Well she will start the whole vomiting cycle after maybe 1-2 wks.

Never occurred to me that the food will be the problem. I'm so angry because just recently she got very sick, same symptoms but this time was worse, she couldn't even walk. She was so weak. I took her to Vet and she has some kind of intestinal and uterus infection and was pretty sick. Vet said I brought her in just in time. She is 8 yrs old and I don't know what we would of done without her. She is still in antibiotics and I just started her back on solids. Believe me after today she won't ever be on Buffalo Foods.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I have been feeding my Boxer Blue Buffalo for about 2 years. the last few months he started not really eating, with occasional diarrhea and vomiting. I initially chocked it up to old age (10 yrs old). The last few weeks he has gotten really sick. I am now reading this is happening to other dogs. Consumer beware!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I just came upon this site, wow. My two wheatons have been on blue buffalo for six years, but have been sticking their noses up to their food for around three months. I have been putting broth or food scraps on their food to get them to eat. There have been instances of some bile throwing up..... I'm buying them new food tomorrow after consulting with their vet. This sickens me, this food is costly and claims to be high quality. It sound like this company is a joke and not at all concerned with the health of our pets. I hope I can find a good food for my dogs.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We had recently brought home a Bichon Havanese puppy in August 2014 & thought we were doing a great thing by buying her BB chicken & oat for small breed puppies, which she has been eating since the day we brought her into our home. We recently purchased a new bag of this same food, as our supply was running out. Boy did that turn out to be a HUGE mistake. For 3 days now (since the day we bought the new bag), our puppy has had uncontrollable bloody, gel-like diarrhea & is very lethargic...not her usual happy self at all. I've been told about people having very similar issues with this food so I've done some research & can't believe what people are dealing with --- the same things we are. We're putting our pets at great risk & something needs to be done. We have IMMEDIATELY stopped this food & are replacing it with a much safer brand. I want my happy, healthy puppy back & I'm hoping there is no long-term consequences, or worse. BB should be ashamed of themselves & should be held accountable for their misdeeds. I will certainly tell EVERYONE about my experience using their "food" (I use that term lightly).

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I purchased a new bag of Blue Wilderness Chicken dog food for my 7-year old Lab that has been eating it for over a year now. He ate the first bowl, the next day he would only eat half of the bowl. Now my Lab is an eating machine, so to turn down dog food is unheard of. Day 3 he started throwing up, diarrhea, totally lethargic, would not leave his bed. We tried everything, he would not eat. Day 4 he quit drinking water and took him to the vet. They had no idea what was wrong - ran blood panels, did other tests and everything came out fine, but still he was declining; we thought we were going to lose him. Day 8 he finally ate one dog biscuit that we tricked him into eating, slowly from there he started to get better.

I am with this dog 24 hours a day so I know exactly what he eats and I am walking him on a leash during the day. The only thing that was given to him was Blue Wilderness dog food. We took the bag back to the store and they gave us our money back. We did not get the $1000 in vet bills that this one bag of dog food cost us, plus the total upset in our family. I will never buy Blue Buffalo again and I warn anyone that does. We just about lost our pup!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My vet has never said anything bad about Blue Buffalo food and our black Labrador has been on it for 6 months or so now, and she's always had regular stool (unless she ate something besides her food). She doesn't throw up. She hardly ever has gas. I had a cat on science diet that died horribly but I don't blame the food. Sometimes stuff happens and sometimes they have illnesses that we don't know they have until too late and it's easy to blame anyone but ourselves. I adored my cat but I didn't go on a rant after her death trying to ban the food. Blue Buffalo is working for my family so I would continue using it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My golden retriever died last week and we have been searching as it was unexpected and sudden. He ate Blue Buffalo food and had the same symptoms mentioned on here, including vet thinking he had an infection. He has eaten the food for years with no problems, just the last batch we are questioning. Has anyone had their food tested?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We used to feed our two dogs, APBTs about 1.5-2 years, BB because we heard that it was a good quality food. At first, our dogs seemed fine, but then late last year they started vomiting randomly. They still had high energy were running and playing, so I wasn't too worried but kept a watchful eye. One of my dogs has a sensitive stomach anyway but I noticed his stools were frequently soft and gel-like. I reached out to my fellow dog-friends, and many commented that Blue Buffalo was not a good food, so I started looking it up. I didn't find this website until today, but I found others that were saying that the food wasn't good quality (nothing about making pets sick) so, I figured we would switch anyway. Taste of the Wild came recommended from a friend who adopted from the same rescue we got our two from, so I gave that a whirl. We have been feeding them TOTW for about 1 month now without any problems. I will never go back to BB.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We have a 2 year old lab who had been eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness since we got him in June. He wasn't sick on it but didn't show much interest in eating. He would graze on it every few days. I just figured he wasn't a big eater. I bought my last bag in January and he became very ill after he started eating it. Horrible diarrhea for days. I took him to the vet and he did not test positive for a parasite but the vet put him on an antibiotic to fight any bacterial infection. Coincidentally the vet said I was the THIRD person he had seen that DAY whose dog eats Blue Buffalo and is reporting the exact same symptoms. Needless to say we switched his food to NutriSource and he has been fine ever since. He also inhales his food now and eats immediately when I put it down. I feel awful for having fed him Blue but thankful we caught it before he got even sicker or died.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

Purchases Blue Buffalo 1/24/15 from Petco. This was 2nd bag (first one we transitioned over in November). Started using this bag on 2/7/15. Our 14 Lb terrier mix who is 3.5 years old, started vomiting that evening. We thought it was due to her eating it too fast. She didn't eat again. Until the next afternoon... she again became terribly sick about 4 more times. Some of it was foamy yellow color. Her vomit also appeared to be undigested food. Our dog would not even look at the blue buffalo dish. She walked as far as she could around the dish and avoided it at all cost...which is so odd. We tried switching her back to dog chow but ended up at vet the next day since she wouldn't eat and continued to vomit 6 times.

After x-rays and extensive blood work - she has been diagnosed with jaundice/hepatitis/liver infection and after an ultrasound on all her organs; she also has possible gall bladder issues. We had two different vets review the findings and they both feel it is something with the blue buffalo food. We are sending the bagged food to Michigan State University to have it checked for bacteria, e coli, siminila and toxins.

Our normally healthy spunky dog has been having a tough time recovering from All this. She has lost over 2 lbs (Which is almost 20% of her body weight), she is on 4 medications now. Two antibiotics, 1 Nausea prevention, and a liver supplement. Her blood work revealed enzyme in her liver at 2600 and it should be at 35. The violent vomiting they think had bile reflux into her liver and gall bladder causing both to become infected. She is an only dog, we are in Michigan with a foot of snow in the ground so no chance she got into anything outside. We are certain it’s the blue buffalo as.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I have an 8 year old pitbull terrier. At 10 weeks old I started feeding my dog Bil-Jac dog food and it was great. Over the next couple of years I switched all of my dogs to the same dog food (cocker spaniel and Akita mix). My pitbull was doing great on the food however my cocker spaniel and Akita mix were having kidney and liver problems due to the excessive amount of protein. I switched all of my dogs to Blue Buffalo chicken recipe. My pitbull continued on however my cocker spaniel and Akita mix were both diagnosed with Cushing's syndrome. I believe if the dogs remained on bil jac, they wouldn't have survived as long as they did. My cocker spaniel died at 14 years old and my Akita mix died at 13 years old. My pitbull has been on Blue Buffalo for at least 5 years and I have not had any problems with anything.

He's in perfect health. He eats like a horse, is very energetic and poops normally. I refuse to give him any treats from any dog food manufacturer because I do not trust them. The only time my dog has problems is when I give him rawhide bones. He's a big boy so he devours rawhide bones but spends the next week eating grass. I usually only buy rawhide bones the day I buy dog food because I am in the pet food store anyway. I swear by Blue Buffalo and I have nothing negative to say about it. I love my dog like my own son and treat him as my son and would never give him anything if I didn't trust it a hundred percent. I'm terrified to switch dog foods because of the horror stories I hear about Chinese ingredients and Chinese manufacturing. I attached a picture of my happy, healthy boy Charlie and I'm going to say I'm never switching dog foods. I love Blue Buffalo and I assure you I do not represent the company in any way.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Our Maine Coon had nothing but Blue Buffalo Duck and Berry for the past few years. The Maine Coon is ill. Has cleared all of the blood tests, MRI pending. I thought we were buying the cats the best and paying for it. Now I am not sure if that is what is killing one of our cats.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I thought feeding Blue Buffalo dog food to my German Shepherd puppy from 3 months to 14 months was a smart idea. But I was completely wrong!!! Loose and foul stools at an early age that went away after a few months, but then the itching began and then a small cyst appeared on his head then it started getting bigger. I didn't think anything of it and thought it was genetics. The itching got so severe that I tried every soothing shampoo to relieve his condition. Nothing worked. Once the issues got to be so bad I knew it had to what he was eating.

I switched to a raw meat diet, beef stew, ground beef etc.. some organic some just regular meat. But within one day only, I started seeing a huge difference in not only his physical symptoms but also his behavior. My dog Bear is a completely new dog. He's calmer, more focused, his itching has almost completely disappeared, his cyst disappeared as well. All of this in only 4 days!!

I don't know how I got duped into this Blue Buffalo food, maybe clever marketing, maybe because of the price being so high that it HAD to be good for your pet. People please be careful with this dog food. I feel terrible that my dog had suffered this whole time and it was me that was giving him this food. I feel guilty for doing so but the real blame goes to the manufacturer of this product.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Been feeding my dog Blue Buffalo Small Breed Chicken for about a year and switched to BB Wilderness Beef and three weeks after changing, she became sick, drinking lots of water, and having accidents. Took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with diabetes. After reading some complaints, I am wondering what is in the dog food that may have caused this.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I have an 11 year old Rottweiler who has been on blue Buffalo for about 2 years. My dog is on the senior pet food large breed but I switched him to the large breed weight management. He had his check up this weekend and found he has high cholesterol from the food. I also found he is not losing weight at all. What kind of food doesn't do what it is suppose to do.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

My dog eats anything. Mini Pomeranian who loves to eat. She loves beef but would not eat the beef canned food. Ate a very little of lamb and had runs next day. Did not eat again. I threw it out and am happy I did because this China made crap will kill your pet and sink deep in your pockets in vet bills. Will talk to a local pet food store and try and have this junk removed from the shelf. Do not buy. If a dog will not eat it that tells you something???

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I feed my cat Blue from the moment I brought her home as a kitten, and I thought I was making the best choice for her!!! I also had my mom change her cat's food when her cat was a kitten because I honestly thought there was no better food on the market!!!! My mom's cat passed away at 2 years old because his GI tract was blocked with stones!!! My cat passed away just a little over a week ago (3 years old) from blood clotting and a heart condition!!! After reading all these comments I am beside myself!!! I without a doubt think Blue had something to do with the health issues both of our young cats developed!!! I wouldn't recommend their food to another person!!! I hope something's done about this!!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2015

I euthanized my 4 year old Portuguese Water Dog due to inoperable abdominal mass. Blue Buffalo Dog food killed my dog. He ate Blue Basics Salmon and Potato. And started exhibiting symptoms in early Jan. of incontinence on bowel and bladder and vomiting as well as discomfort. BB poisoned my dog in his 4 short years. They cannot state they do not use Chinese ingredients. The falsely advertise. If my dog can save another's pet life I will continue to speak. Stop immediately feeding your dogs BB, it is POISON!!!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

I fed my 2 small dogs (one has a cast iron stomach) Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon & Potato (can) and within a few minutes they both started to throw up. I have never seen my dogs do this. I know in the past they have never had tummy issues. Sometimes during the holidays I have overly spoiled them and they have been fine. :/

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

I switched my dog from dental chews made in China to Blue Buffalo dental chews because of the warnings on products from China. With all the natural ingredients and no fillers and made in the USA, how could I go wrong. Plus the high price equals quality.. WRONG. After 3 days of one chew per day my dog started throwing up. I took her off for a few days thinking they were new and she had to get used to them. I tried again and after a few days she started eating grass and throwing up again.. I stopped the chews again.. Within a few days she woke up refusing food and water and couldn't jump off the bed.. She felt HOT..

My vet got me right in.. High temp, dehydration, and acute pancreatitis that my vet directly attributed to the treat and informed me of Blue Buffalo's history of making dogs have diarrhea and throw up. She was in urgent care the whole day on an IV for pain medication and hydration, and her GI tract was so inflamed that her belly was swollen and tender to the touch. She now has to be on an expensive prescription diet for the rest of her life and is still struggling with dehydration. This product has made my otherwise healthy dog sick and have completely changed her quality of life. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

I called customer service line on February 11th, the day this happened, and explained what was going on and made it clear that something needed to be done. The representative said she would send me a claim form and advised me to return the treats. I have not received this claim form yet. Petsmart was proactive and took the other items with the same lot number off the shelves right then.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

My dog is 13 yrs old and has never had any issues (thank god) and I decided to switch his food for one that has more vitamin since he is older. The lady from Blue Buffalo approached me at PetSmart and told me it was the best (I normally look everything up before giving anything to my dog). But since she told me it was great I went ahead and bought it and not even 2 weeks in from changing my dog to Blue Buffalo he started acting differently. His stomach was so hard and swollen and when I would touch it he would cry so I rushed him to the vet and he had severe pancreatitis and gastritis. He had to be on liquid fluids for a week at the vet with an IV and now he has to be on a special diet.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

This past week, February 9, 2015, my beloved dog Sherlock died within 24 hours of beginning to throw up. He has been on Blue Buffalo for 1 year, and in November was diagnosed with diabetes. A year ago his glucose was normal @ 103. When diagnosed, it was over 400. We were treating him with insulin, contemplating taking him off BB, but reluctant to make too many changes too fast. I purchased a new bag of food on 1/16/2015, which he began to eat on Feb 7th. He began vomiting violently on the 9th @ 6pm, and could not even stand 8 hours later, and he died Feb 10th @ 5:30pm. He was in hospital, being treated. Ultrasound shown severe pancreatitis, filling his abdomen with infection. I'm devastated to think this food may have caused this! The photo of Sherlock was taken 2 weeks before he died. This dog was under constant veterinary care. Our bills are over $10,000.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

We rescued Sadie (our now 4-year old female German Shepherd) in Feb. 2013. We fed her Iams chicken and rice formula, and she did wonderful on it. NO problems whatsoever. My boyfriend and I decided that we wanted to feed her something with more "natural" ingredients, so we switched her to Blue Buffalo in July 2014. We followed the switching instructions and gradually added in the new dog food until she got used to it. The first couple of weeks seemed fine, but right after that we noticed she was having a lot of gas and her stool was softer than usual. A few weeks later, she became violently ill. Vomiting, lethargic, wouldn't even try to eat a treat, and then the horrible diarrhea came. Very liquidy, and discolored. Possibly had some blood in it because of how dark it was.

Took her to the vet, and he told us that Her GI tract was severely inflamed (probably from bacterial build up) and she was constipated, which caught us by surprise because of her diarrhea.... Gave her a shot for the vomiting and an antibiotic to help with the inflammation/bacterial infection. We figured it was a food allergy to the chicken, but she didn't have any issues with the Iams formula. Our vet advised us to take her OFF of Blue immediately, because this happens so often to animals on BB and many do not make it, which is why our vets are strictly against all BB products. Instead of listening to the vet the first time we (BF's decision because of "vet being biased") put her on the BB salmon and sweet potato formula. Once again, she seemed to do fine for a while, but then she got sick again. This time it was even worse.

This time we had to see a different vet because of ours being out of town. He gave her a shot for the vomiting and diarrhea, and another antibiotic, Science Diet canned Light GI Restore dog food, and we were advised once again to get her off of Blue. We were also told about what all had been found in BB dog food by other vets and pet owners. Hair had been found in many bags of BB products (actually in the kibble bits.) This was discovered when vet technicians did an experiment and put 1 cup of BB dog food into a glass of water and let it sit over night. They came back the next morning with all the food softened and falling apart, with tons of hair floating to the top of the glass. *That is disgusting*. We were also told of rocks found in the kibble. Finally realizing that it wasn't a food allergy, we were basically poisoning our dog, our baby girl, a member of our family!

I cried knowing that we were doing this to her, and not on purpose. My bf was very torn up as well, the thought of losing his baby girl was terrifying. After facing the possibility of losing her, we put her back on good old Iams and she has been PERFECT EVER SINCE! Now my parents have a 10-year old male German Shepherd name Willie. They heard of Blue when he was 8 years old and decided to give it a shot. Didn't have any vomiting or diarrhea issues, but he was very lethargic and didn't want to play. They knew he had arthritis, so they asked the doc to look him over real good when all of his shots were due. His blood work came back showing a deadly low white blood cell count, meaning that his white blood cell count was practically nonexistent. This is constant with rat poisoning, cancers, and vitamin poisoning.

The vet told them if they couldn't get his white blood cell count back up, then his kidneys could start shutting down, and he would be prone to many illness and viruses. We knew no one had tried to poison him. Vet advised them that it could be the BB. Immediately, they switched him back to Eukanuba (or Purina, I can't remember which on they feed him), and everything went back to normal. Blue Buffalo is poisoning our pets with their product. I will NEVER again purchase anything related to BB. I hope all of you do the same.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

Our Rottweiler has had Blue Buffalo since 8 weeks old. He has had no problems with anything. Right now he will be 3 years old in March and weighs 128 lbs. Active and loving bear who still thinks he's a lap dog.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

Life protection puppy formula caused chronic diarrhea in my puppy. After taking my puppy to the vet and all tests coming back negative, she was placed on a gastrointestinal health prescription diet. Her diarrhea immediately ceased. When I tried to reintroduce Blue she immediately started with loose stools, so back to the prescription diet we went. Once again, she had normal stools. I tried placing her back on Blue one more time (diarrhea started 11 hours after 1st meal) because I didn't realize the correlation until stumbling on this website. Thank you to all of those who took the time to post because I'm certain my dog would have continued to suffer and I would be spending even more money at the vet!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

I bought Blue canned food for my mini pin last week, he became ill, throwing up, diarrhea. Took him to the vet, $129 later & meds, she said it was from the dog food!! I think it should be pulled from the shelf before more pets get sick or die. It's been a week & he's still not feeling good!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

I went to Petco and was persuaded by the salesperson to buy Blue Buffalo dog food for my dog. The sales lady had told me if I wanted the best food for my dog I should purchase Blue Buffalo which I did. My fur baby has a very sensitive stomach. She's west highland white terrier so I purchased the lamb and rice from Blue Buffalo. My dog was on the new food for 1-1/2 months. I started to see her become lethargic and need to go potty more and more. She developed diarrhea with blood in her stool and was peeing very frequently.

I took her to the vet and they put her on antibiotics and I explained to the vet about the dog food and the reviews I had seen that all had related symptoms. My vet told me to get rid of Blue Buffalo food and put my dog on her previous food. She said Blue Buffalo had too much protein for my dog...that's what was causing the bloody diarrhea and frequent peeing. Since my beloved pet is on her old food, she is so happy back to her old self and bowels back to normal...no blood.

I know I am fortunate that my baby bounced back, but SHAME on this company for putting my dog in harm's way. Thank goodness my dog was not a statistic and she survived. If you have a dog on this food, throw it away for your pet's safety and the health of your dog and needless to say all the vet bills you will have because of this product.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

My 19 month old puppy, Noah, started scratching himself on the neck. He had a rash. I had been feeding him Blue puppy grain free then switched to Freedom. He wasn't eating a lot and I thought it was because of my crazy schedule. So I bought some salmon and egg wet food to put in with the dry. He ate it but his rash got worse so I switched to chicken and egg. I took him to the vet and the vet said the rash probably was from food. I got on-line last night and found this website. I'm so glad I did. I changed his dog food last night. My vet even said that Blue was a good food. I'm going to show him this website. I pray my puppies rash goes away and that nothing else starts. If you look closely you can see how his neck is red. Thank you for your postings.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

Started this product on my four small pups a week ago. One of my yorkies has had severe diarrhea and blood spots. It started out as soft stool and by day 3 (today) when I returned home, blood. I have started the BRAT diet (i.e. rice for dogs) and will be at the vets tomorrow. Cannot express the need for higher standards for all dog foods. This is not a sole a BB issue. It is for many dog foods allowed in the US. Stop importing with lesser guidelines is the only answer!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

On Christmas day 2014 my Dog Brody became so sick with vomiting uncontrollably that we could not keep up with him. My heart broke for this poor boy. The following day it seem to subside to only throwing up twice so I figured he just had some type of bug, but by the 27th my dog was lethargic, throwing up again and shaking in pain. We call a vet and they ran test on him and found that his liver and pancreas was shutting down. Once the Vet found out that we were feeding him Blue Buffalo she explained that they were using byproducts in their food and this is what made Brody so sick.

We took him to a Vet hospital down the road (forgot to mention we live in Tn but were in Tx with our kids for the holidays which our time with them was now destroyed) and admit our dog to be treated for Pancreatic and liver failure. 24 hrs later they had him stabilize enough so we could travel back to our own Vet in Tennessee. Still to this day my dog has to be on very expensive RX dog food and is still having health issues, so about $1600.00 and still counting.

I hope this company will be held responsible for all the harm they have cause our beloved pets and pain and suffering they are causing families. As far as I'm concerned they should be fined and put out of business because the almighty dollar was more important than pets and people which they led to believe that the dog food was sooo good for our pet, but instead they are killing our pet.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information