2.02/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

We started feeding our 8-year-old Lab mix Blue Buffalo wilderness dog food, and within 3 weeks she became very listless, and not her usual lively self. She then started to lose her appetite, and started vomiting regularly. We took her to the Vet, and they ran all kinds of tests, and gave her intravenous liquids because she was so dehydrated. The tests indicated that she had liver failure, an enlarged kidney, and pancreatitis. We brought her home, and she just stopped eating altogether, and would not get up. Within 3 days we had to put her down to relieve her obvious suffering. After some checking I feel that this dog food may have been connected to her rapid decline.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

I tried this food for my pugs a couple of years ago. My dogs did not respond well. It frightened me to come out and see all those little dark beads on the ground. I don't know how to tell anymore if I'm feeding my kids is any good or not. I guess anybody with enough money can sell a brand. The food prices have gone crazy, it's all about the buck. Sick dogs make for higher vet bills. Thank you to everybody who took the time to let others know. This is the only way we find out some of what's out there killing pets.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

I have 5-month goldendoodle, and due to some very strong suggestions to feed him Blue Buffalo from friends, I decided to switch at 3 months. Shortly after the switch I noticed his stools were getting softer by the day. He was in the animal hospital for about a week and on heavy duty antibiotics due to pneumonia and coccidia so I thought it was just a side effect to the antibiotics. After I bought the second bag of large breed puppy chicken and rice, he started getting watery, mucous like stool. He would cry all night to continue to go outside to have what looked like water come out of him. Took him to the vet and said everything seemed fine he was perfectly healthy. So I bought a different bag of food just to see if it would have a difference. After 3 days he was regular and sleeping through the night. I tried Blue Buffalo one more time thinking maybe it was just a fluke. Two days later, again, with watery, mucous like stool. I threw the rest of the bag out and have not looked back since. He is happy, sleeping through the night, and no longer having any issues with his stomach.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

My 1 year old chocolate lab has been very itchy after he eats so I took him in for a checkup. My vet suggested changing his food. I've always fed him Nutro Naturals Lamb and Rice Formula Large Breed. So, I decided to switch to Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey and Sweet Potato. Got home, scooped his dinner directly out of the bag and waited for him to finish. No itching afterwards, which was great, so I dumped the rest of the bag into the food container where I store his food. As I neared the end of the bag, out came a huge ball of mold with bugs crawling all through it. Disgusted! Do not buy Blue Buffalo!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

My very active 9-month-old pup suddenly became lethargic and would not eat or drink much for the last few days. We were switching him over to B. Buffalo from his science diet puppy food. I started thinking this morning that his new food was making him sick, and started to do some research and came upon this site. After reading these reviews I am furious and taking him off of Blue Buffalo immediately. I hope and pray no harm has come to him. Why is nothing being done about this food???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

These other complaints are telling the same story as mine. My 2 yr old lab has been on BB since he was 8 weeks old. Starting November 2014, he started having loose stool. We figured he probably ate something while playing outside. Then he started waking us up at night to go potty which has NEVER happened before, he has been able to hold his potty all night since he was 12 weeks old. I noticed that he was having loose stool and squat-walking while pottying. It grew worse to where he was having projectile diarrhea.

We switched him to chicken and rice and took him to the vet. The vet put him on a 7 day med regime. We threw out the BB bag and bought a new one, slowly transitioning him back to the BB food. He was fine till the meds lasted. Now we are back to loose stools. I did some research online and found that BB has changed their supplier to China. That itself is a RED FLAG. The sad part is that even after so many complaints, they have not taken any action.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

I have 3 yorkies and they are all very healthy as I am a strict dog mom. I fed my girls Royal Canin since they came home to me at 10 weeks of age. Then last year while in PetSmart I had a BB sales person talk me into trying the best food on the market, I was hesitant because I already had a food that worked. But he tells me, “Don't you want to feed your fur-children the best you can?” Of course I do, I wouldn't have 3 dogs if I didn't want the best. So the food I chose was the BB wilderness evolutionary grain free for small breeds, all was good until I bought them a new bag of same food as I was getting low. I opened the bag on Dec 15, 2014 they looked at their good bowl and walked away, hmmm that's odd. Later that day they ate and then next morning all 3 were sick, vomiting and diarrhea. They continued getting sick I pulled the food away and started the 24 hour fast, they were extremely sick for 2 days and I was forced to give them water and Pedialyte by syringe every hour.

Day 3 feeling better, I give them boiled chicken and they keep it down so I give them some of their BBW again. It's only hours before they are all three sick again, same symptoms only now with bloody diarrhea. I rush all 3 to the emergency pet hospital, $1997 later rehydrated dogs show no parasites and liver test come back clear. I get back home with my girls and they are on the mend, I am hand feeding them boiled chicken and they are doing great, so the next morning I go down stairs and check on them, yay no vomit no poops. They are eating boiled chicken and drinking water, life is good, the day ends and I let my girls come back upstairs, only to wake up at 3:00am with all 3 dogs once again vomiting and bloody diarrhea all over the room.

I forgot to remove their bowl of BBW from the upstairs and they ate it. So now without any doubt in my mind or the vet’s mind this dog food is to blame, another vet visit $900 dollars out of pocket and a new bag $37 BBW to blame. Today is the 26th of Dec 2014 my 3 yorkies are getting better. I will never allow BBW in my house again. Please if you have a food that works, do not allow somebody to guilt you into another brand because they say it's the best. My dogs almost died.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

My 4 year old Shih tzu, Lilly, died Oct 27, 2014. She was slow, not at all active as she had been Saturday a day before. I have several dogs from 13, 10, 7 and 4 years old. Someone had diarrhea so I thought getting BB would be great - they sure advertise it great and it reads great on the bags. I was using kibble and bits, and treats were pupperoni or BACON. They both have bad reviews as bad so I thought that's it - but I've used them all for years. I'd go with several posts here that all the dogs liked BB for a few days then they didn't want to eat it. I thought the great taste got old quick, it wasn't their good greasy food so added an egg to the bowls with BB. They scarfed it up.

Lilly died about 2 months after starting it. Her "brother" has lost weight and has skin problems in the last week, I've thought is just dry skin and have shampooed with medicated shampoo with oatmeal and used hydrocortisone spray. The other dogs just don't eat as much. This site is pointing to the only possible problem and I say it's Blue Buffalo. Thanks for sharing your stories. I just threw out the bag of BB and their treats. Don't know what to go to but I know kibble and bits didn't kill!! I'm 66 and had dogs all my life and this is the first time someone killed my baby.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

My 13-year-old indoor cat had been ill lately and lost a considerable amount of weight. After a few trips to the vet she was slowly on her way to feeling better. I wanted to make sure that she was getting a high quality, nourishing food to help her gain weight quicker. In the past, I've tried gradually switching her over to other premium brands, but she would begin vomiting soon after. So back to the grocery store stuff. At this point I was just desperate so I bought a bunch of different, supposedly better, brands of wet food for her to try. One of which was the BB Wilderness chicken. I mixed a little bit in her usual food and she ate it without any issues.

A couple of days later, she vomited all of the undigested food about an hour after eating. 20 minutes later, she vomited a red tinged liquid twice. I was horrified. She was lethargic and didn't eat for the following hours but no more vomiting. Eventually, her appetite came back and she seemed fine. I had no idea it could be the food because I trusted this brand. It had to be better than the grocery store crap. I did some googling later that night and found this website. What I've read is shocking to say the least. In all of the 11 years we've had this cat, nothing like this has ever happened. She was back to normal after stopping the food, so what else could it be? I will never purchase another product from this brand.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

After eating the recent bag of Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, which has changed in formula, the dog began vomiting yellow bile 3 times a day. The vomiting never slowed down, eventually turned into a white foam and dry heaving over time. The dog was a healthy, happy, high-energy 9-year-old bull terrier until the new food entered his system. The vet didn't see anything wrong with the dog since all test results looked normal. All nausea and vomiting ceased only after completely removing the Blue Buffalo from his diet.

Updated on 01/27/2015: Unfortunately, my story ends very sadly. My dog ate this food for years and was a thriving, youthful, happy, healthy Terrier until he ate the bag of food purchased on Nov. 21. From that day forward he vomited, drooled, had bloody diarrhea and was very lethargic. None of the vets could find anything wrong and today I have to make the unfortunate decision to end his suffering. And for those of you who were fortunate to not experience the negative effects of unregulated dog food, count your blessings. Very disappointed for an extremely loving dog.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

Blue Wilderness Puppy Food - I am very disappointed in this brand. My husband and I have been feeding our two labs this food since they were pups. At first they were fine, growing and doing well. The past month has been a nightmare though. They started getting the runs, but we thought it was just a bug since they were eating fine, still had high energy, and had all their shots and vaccines. The runs varied in extremes, sometimes it would almost be solid and other times it was liquid. This lasted about a week before I saw blood in the stool and immediately took them to the vet. Stool sample and physical exam showed they were fine, and their stool hardened up on the bland food diet the vet prescribed. We gradually switched them back to the dry food, and today one of my poor babies pooped in the house (she has never done that). Liquid poop again. So now we are switching. I have tried to research to see if there is a recall, but so far there isn't. Reading all the reviews has me convinced this is not a fluke or random stomach bug.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

I just adopted a rescue dog from a foster home. The dog has been vetted, spayed and had its shots. I purchased a bag of Blue for puppies. This dog has had nonstop pudding type poop. I am now convinced it is this food. I should have know better and used Royal Canin. The dog is in the process of being housebroken and it can be a real mess. I have to get up every two hours to let her out. If I miss she will go on the puppy pad. I am very distressed after reading other reviews. I am going to give her canned pumpkin tomorrow and get her a new brand of food. This stuff should be off the market. Keep complaining if you have a problem. I have had enough pets to know that this has to be the food.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

My three year old Yorkie is lucky to be alive after a neighbor gave her a treat from your company. We spent the day yesterday wondering if she was going to die. She was very lethargic, had severe vomiting, diarrhea and seizures. One treat almost killed my baby girl. This company needs to admit something is wrong with their food and treats. My neighbor felt bad about giving her this and today his dog is sick too.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

I have two cats. One of them I have been feeding Blue Buffalo to since he is 6 weeks old. He is now 4. He favors dry food and has never had wet food. He is 5 pounds heavier than his litter mates. I know because I am in touch with people who adopted them. Thinking I was giving my furry family members only the best, I got a kitten a year ago and also put her on Blue Buffalo. She favors wet food. Blue Buffalo is so incredibly expensive, but I thought this is the best out there and it is worth it! I have had nothing but problems with the little female on the Blue wet food. She vomits constantly and recently started peeing. Not in a territorial spraying way. But she would pee in the bed while sleeping. I would always attribute her problems to her feral ways thinking it was just taking her some time to adjust to the indoors. I feel so incredibly bad now reading these reviews and I am just horrified that it never once crossed my mind that this top of the line amazing brand was the culprit behind my poor kitten's issues. Shame on Blue Buffalo. Time to switch to a MUCH safer brand and save major money in the process.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

I "use" to be a huge fan of Blue dog food. My dog has been eating it now for years. Recently she has had the worst diarrhea and GI problems and it's coming from this food. She has been wanting to go potty constantly and making mistakes in the house (which she NEVER does). So far my case is mild compared to what others have experienced but I have definitely taken her off the food and taking her to vet today. Something is up with this food, please take your fur babies off of it.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

Our indoor cat that never had an issue is presently with the Vet. So far he hasn't been able to determine what the issue is. When we mentioned the food the cat was on he mentioned that he has seen some issues but nothing this bad. The cat stopped eating 2 days ago and couldn't keep food down. Today she took in some water and kept it down. The symptoms are very similar with several of the posters here. This is the second bag of food for the cat and there was a change in look of the food between the 2 bags. We thought we were doing something great for the cat with this food vs. the plastic bucket of food from the big box store. The food has been tossed. Hopefully the cat will be able to recover.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

I've been feeding Stormy, English Shepherd (2 yrs) mixed with Collie Blue Buffalo for a while now. About 4 days ago I bought Salmon kind. She started having loose stool, and goes outside to eat grass like crazy. Her vomit is yellow. Today it's a lot of it, 2 handfuls full. I am bringing her to the vet tomorrow. Please help. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2014

Blue Buffalo was the first food I fed my cat and it immediately made him sick - throwing up and watery stool. My vet said he was near kidney failure and asked what I was feeding him. When I told her, she said Blue Buffalo has WAY too much Vitamin D and that she has has numerous pets brought in who are on Blue Buffalo with the same symptoms, some who have even had to be put down. This mega-corporation is charging people for a quality product when they are selling dangerous GARBAGE! Those "life bits" actually contain cornhusks which can also cause allergies in pets and they are no more "healthy" than the regular kibbles, it’s just a marketing scheme as is their whole approach. They even have a lawsuit against them by Purina and their argument is that it's just smear campaign by a jealous conglomerate.

I'm not a fan of ANY huge corporation, but last I checked BB was worth well over $50 billion. They also have claimed this whole time to NEVER contain any animal by-products, but recently admitted they do have chicken by-products in their food. When I went to comment on their Facebook page, I thought it was strangely odd to see ONLY positive feedback, while seeing so much negative feedback when I did a Google search. Well, after I commented on a few things, trying to make people aware, they immediately deleted my comments and banned me. So, that explained why there was no trace of anyone on their page having anything bad (truthful and honest) to say about them. WHAT A JOKE! That right there tells me all I need to know. I don't trust them, the truth will come out and I can't wait for the public to realize this company has been lying to us the whole time. I hope they go out of business and have to reimburse all of those people who had hefty vet bills like myself or worse, lost their pets because of their "food". This company disgusts me.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2014

I purchased the BB dry cat food for my two cats. They were both previously on Hills Science diet dry cat food and had no GI issues. I switched to blue buffalo because it was cheaper and supposedly a good product. I still had some of my other cat food left so I transitioned my youngest cat to the BB food first. She didn't like the food, but I figured that she just needed some time to get used to it...Then she developed hard dry poop in a couple days even though she was continuing to drink plenty of water. My other cat was switched to the BB food three days ago. He immediately developed diarrhea. My cats have never had GI issues like this. I am so thankful to have discovered this site and read through your stories before my cats became sicker. I'm switching back to Hills today. Blue Buffalo really needs to take some responsibility for their product...Too many poor animals are getting sick.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2014

I recently switched to Blue dog food for our dogs and after a week, we noticed 2 of them started to be less active. After 2 weeks, one of them became so inactive she wouldn't go up steps but we thought she maybe slipped because it was so icy here. Three weeks, she was whimpering. She was in so much pain we took her to the vet - thinking she possibly had a fracture only to find out no broken bones but her liver levels and blood counts were through the roof. They said to switch her food immediately as she may be allergic to something in it and put they her on meds to help with the liver. This week, our youngest dog is showing all the same symptoms and brought her to the vet also - they put her on meds also and again said to switch the food for all our dogs so we did. In a day on different food, they both are showing signs of improvement. We will never buy Blue dog food again. Very disappointing to buy food you are told is one of the best on the market only to spend $500 in a week on vet bills because it caused them to become so ill. I pray the damage this dog food has caused is not permanent.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

I had been feeding my dog Blue Buffalo for a year or so then she started having bloody diarrhea so I tried other blue protein sources. Over the past few months she did not improve so I switched to Merrick and lo and behold she is fine now! Enclosed is also a picture of what my last bag of Blue Buffalo contained. Does not seem to be ANY quality control or accountability with the Blue Buffalo company. What's the deal Blue Buffalo? Nice advertising and marketing but no integrity.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I am very confused. We are a rescue group and Blue Buffalo donated cat food to us (indoor cat formula Dry). I have 4 of my foster cats that have been diagnosed with uti's- 3 of them struvite crystals. I hope it's not the food but how do you know? Is there someone to speak to at Blue Buffalo? Has anyone else had this problem?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

I started feeding my kitten this food. My adult cat, a 5 yr old Bengal, loved it and would snitch it front the kitten's bowl. After 3 days, she began vomiting (sometimes w/ blood) and had diarrhea (sometimes with blood). She was perfectly healthy before eating this food. We are making an emergency trip to our vet today. This food obviously needs to be recalled and taken from the market. I am hoping our kitty did not eat enough to have been seriously damaged from Wilderness food.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

I was an inch from giving my cat, Melon, away because I thought his persistent and uncontrollable diarrhea and urinary problems were insurmountable. This had been going on for six months. As it turns out, some neighbors three doors away, had been feeding him Buffalo Blue cat food. They moved away a week ago and the problem is rapidly clearing up.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

Our 2 Shelties, ages 10 and 13, were eating Purina Pro Plan for most of their lives until I switched to Blue Buffalo. Worst decision I've ever made. When the diarrhea started, I contributed it to some rotisserie chicken, but the diarrhea only got worse. The food needs to be taken off the market. Hope our older Sheltie makes it.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

I know for a fact that Blue Buffalo is the reason behind my dog's illness. My dog, Boe, is a 3.5 year old male lab. We have fed him Blue Buffalo since he was 8 weeks and have never had a problem. On November 18, 2014, we purchased a new bag from a local shop as we were running low. We finished up the last bag and then started him on the new bag around November 22/23. Our dog started vomiting November 25th. He also vomited November 26th and November 27th. He still had good energy but we switched him to a rice and turkey diet for 3 days to let him stomach settle. Boe got better and didn't throw up again. So we figured whatever his issue was had passed and started feeding him his Blue Buffalo again. A day later, on Monday morning, Boe threw up again. We rushed him to the vet. We weren't sure what caused it. We didn't think it was the food as Boe has been eating it for 3.5 years. So we got X-Rays, Pancreatic tests, Blood Tests, fecal tests - all came up clear.

All the vet could see was a very sensitive stomach. She gave him anti-nausea shots and cans of GI food. For 5 days, we fed Boe GI food paste mixed with rice. He got better. We thought this was all over and he was healthy so we put Boe back on Blue Buffalo Saturday night and all day Sunday. Monday Boe threw up again. Twice we took him off the Blue Buffalo only to have him get better. And then he would start throwing up once it got into his system. All the tests have come back clear and his environment has been consistent. The only thing that has changed it the Maybe this is a bad bag? Maybe this is related to Blue Buffalo openly admitting that there are chicken by-products in their food. I just know that Boe will never eat their food again.

Before I finish - I would just like to address their statement where they admit that their food has chicken by-product "unknowingly to them" - The whole altercation means 1 of 2 things. 1) They knew about the previous bad reputation of the supplier and looked the other way; or 2) They haven't been doing quality checking. Both of those are pretty bad. I know chicken by-product won't hurt Boe - but who knows what else is in there... they obviously don't. I'd also like to point out that I have been paying premium price for chicken meal and was sold chicken by-product at a pretty high price. BB has stated that there will not be a recall as far as they are concerned. If what I'm buying doesn't match the labels - there should be a recall.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

Last year my dog got sick eating Blue Buffalo chicken & rice. My dog only ate this, no people food, no treats. When I complained their legal dept refused to allow customer service to talk with me. They say no proof that it was from their food even though all he ate. Complained to attorney general and their response is they object to what I said about them and their vet. Seems they spend more on their legal dept than the quality of their product.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

We have been using Blue Buffalo with our small Pomeranian for about 1 year, and also with our new 5 month old Rottweiler. Up until late November 2014, everything seemed okay, until our Rottweiler puppy started vomiting and having diarrhea consistently over a couple of days. We took her to the vet and they ran tests and everything came back negative (no parasites) - nothing. We fasted her prior to taking her to the vet, and then began giving her a boiled chicken and rice diet. It took a few days for her to pass, but no diarrhea or vomiting. We just now started 12/6/2014, transitioning her back to Blue Buffalo, giving her a mix of the chicken/rice along with about a 1/2 cup of Blue Buffalo. She had diarrhea this morning!! So, now we know it is the food! Please DO NOT purchase Blue Buffalo! We are taking both of our dogs off of Blue Buffalo immediately! We will continue to feed them a chicken/rice diet until we can start transitioning to a new dog food. We will begin using Nutro as soon as possible. Royal Canin is a bit out of our budget range.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

I started feeding my 5 year old, very healthy male cat Blue Buffalo dry and wet food five months ago. I saw all of the advertising and thought I was doing the right thing for him. Well, about three weeks ago, he started moaning when he went to the litter box. He stopped eating, refused to even drink water, and then went into hiding. We took him to the emergency vet. Five hours and $500 later, the vet shows us an x-ray of his bladder. His bladder was blocked because it was filled with struck the struvite crystals.

The vet asked us if he had had UT problems in the past. We said not at all. She then asked if we had changed his diet recently. When we then told her about the change to Blue Buffalo, she got an odd look on her face. She said that she had seen a "number" of emergency bladder blockages in cats lately whose owners were feeding them Blue Buffalo. And although she could not "prove" that BB was the cause, she strongly recommended us to cease feeding him BB.

The saga continued when we had to take our cat to our regular vet the next day. He was hospitalized for a week and a half. He was catheterized for several days with the urine filled with blood and urine. The blockage was so bad that at one point the vet said that he might have to perform surgery. Thankfully, our cat improved and all of the crystals passed. This disaster cost us $1300 and a lot of anguish and guilt. I am positive that BB made this otherwise healthy cat gravely ill and near death.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

BB Healthy Start Divine Delights & Savory Sizzlers/Beef Sausages - My 6 yr. old Yorkie died last night. And after reading all these other complaints I believe it has a lot to do with your food. My little baby girl experienced a lot of the same: yellowish vomit then white foamy vomit; white foamy in her little mouth; statuesque - by just standing there - when I picked her up she couldn't even give me kisses! My precious little one has eaten the BB Divine Delights for about 2 years now - there didn't seem to be a problem until now. When I looked to see if there were any recalls I was directed here. There were times she would just sniff her food and walk away. We didn't understand what was going on as she seemed to like BB.

Yesterday (4 Dec 14) I took her for her usual morning walk before I headed out to work - 5:45 AM. When I came home from work she wasn't there to greet me. I noticed vomit on the rug - yellowish piles and white foamy piles. When I located my baby girl she just stood there - barely able to stand and barely able to look at me. I rushed her to my vet who started fluids/tests immediately. My baby girl was 80% dehydrated - I couldn't believe it as she was drinking as usual until yesterday when her water bowl did not have a drop left in it. The toxins in her liver where in the 1,000’s when they should only be 80-100.

I have contacted BB for some answers but they have not returned my calls. Does anyone know of anywhere else I can go to try to get some answers besides complaining here??? I truly believe BB food & treats killed my precious baby girl. Please DO NOT purchase this food or any of BB products. They should not be allowed to shelf this stuff as it is killing our babies!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information