2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: March 7, 2015

I had a 3 1/2 year old healthy pekingese girl that was fed Taste of the Wild for several months, and Science Diet before that... I decided to switch her to Blue Buffalo because of its popularity. Within just a few days, she had very runny diarrhea and stopped wanting to eat at all. This past Sunday I woke to take her outside, and her room that she stays in was covered in blood spots all over the floor, the couch, her chair, everywhere. I called my vet immediately and rushed her there and they put her on fluids.. Less than 12 hours later she had passed. Her blood work was all pretty normal except for dehydration and things like that.. no infection. Vet claims it was colitis, and another vet said it was a GI bleed. No one could give me a an answer as to why it happened. I am completely heart broken, and if it were Blue Buffalo, I pray they straighten things out before the same thing happens to someone else.

Original review: March 7, 2015

I had also heard that BB was a quality dog food. I believe before 2014 it may have been. The company was sold to the Mars corp late 2014. Now many of it's ingredients are outsourced. Purina is suing BB for false labeling. BB states they do not add any by-products when in fact they do. This was found in independent analysis of their dog food. Not that Purina has a better product because they do not. Purina also has a class action lawsuit due to poisoning and death of over 4,000 dogs with their Beneful product. Do your research.

My English Bulldog became extremely ill while eating BB. That is what prompted me to research dog food brands and ingredient lists. Dog food is not regulated by the FDA or any other agency. I have switched to Acana and will not feed my animals anything else. My Vet at one point insisted that I switch to Hills Science Diet. This is one of the worst low grade dog foods on the market. Vets tend to push this product due to the kickbacks they receive from the manufacturer. I now also have a new Vet. If you care about your furry friends please do your homework. Do this before you feed them harmful food products produced by a greedy industry that could care less if it kills our pets.

Original review: March 6, 2015

I Just started feeding my dogs Blue Buffalo. I feed them 2 large bags full. One dog stopped eating, one threw up three times, and one had two spots where her hair is missing and one spot where she was getting a crusty spot on her belly. I have then switched them over faster than I should have but now they are doing better. Eating, not throwing up. My girl's hair started growing on the back, the crusty spot looks much better. The one spot of hair loss was larger but looks like it is coming back.

Original review: March 6, 2015

My dogs have been eating Blue Buffalo dog food in the blue bag for a year now without any issues, but we bought a new bag and now they are throwing up excessively. I won't give them any more and see what happens over the next 24 hours. My vet said no food at all just water for 24 hours then boiled rice and chicken. Once we have gotten them thru the vomiting we will determine what food to move forward with.

Original review: March 5, 2015

After switching to BB because of my 8 month old puppy's sensitive stomach, almost like clockwork every 2 weeks he ends up on his chicken and rice meals because of loose stools. He's been on antibiotics several times and this past time had Colitis and bloody stool. Every time I try to take him off the bland diet the loose stools slowly return. I found this site and can't believe all the horror stories :( Am taking him off of BB immediately.

Original review: March 4, 2015

Allergic reaction around mouth. Read this label. It has added front prominent tag that says "no chicken or poultry by-product meals" to front the bag of Salmon recipe. Our dog is allergic to chicken. Read the ingredients, the second one listed is "chicken meal". This cost us a vet bill and a week of itching and scratching before we returned to the label and saw the false advertising.

Original review: March 4, 2015

We had a very senior cat of 19 years old, he just passed away 2 yrs ago this Mother's Day. At the time, he was on the high protein formula. Our vet was so surprised that his fur was like a much younger cat - you know how their fur changes when they get near end. So in the past 2 yrs, I have been so surprised with all these complaints and medical problems with animals lately. It sure is too bad because we just got a new puppy and was going to put him on the BB as well because of how well I like it for my cat and he was on it for his last 6 yrs of his life. If you stop having it made in China, I may go back to it but I buy nothing from China and if I do and I find out it is, it goes straight into the garbage and will never buy it again.

And if it has GMO anything, it too will remain in the store as well. I once bought shoes that were made in China and had them on for one day only and had open oozing sores on the back of my heels and they took months to heal and still to this day, I have red scars the size of a dime still there. Not only that, where I live, we are charged an extra $0.08 per liter of gas as a carbon tax. What, so that money goes to China to poison us. I was so disappointed last year when I saw GMO tomato plants being sold at Canadian Tire. It was a yellow tomato called "Lemon Boy" that just stayed at the store.

Please BB, change your ways and only good ingredients and I don't see anymore complaints like this anymore and you will have a very supportive customer back. I really enjoyed your product and I am sure that you gave us a few extra yrs with our kitty. His all-time favorite was the canned Duck and Rabbit. He sure was upset when we couldn't buy it anymore in that last year of his life, because you stopped producing it. PLEASE PLEASE CHANGE YOUR WAYS.

Original review: March 4, 2015

My English Bulldog was on Blue Buffalo for the first 3 1/2 years that he's been with me. Things started off fine but got progressively worse. It started with me noticing that the kibble in every other bag was a different color. It was never uniform. Then Howard started getting constipated and when he was able to go, he would go 2-3 times in a row because he couldn't push everything out. My wife and I considered switching him off of Blue Buffalo when the last straw happened. The last bag of Blue Buffalo that we ever bought actually was full of dead dried-up worms attached to this really fibrous substance that was throughout the entire bag bottom 3/4 of the bag. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until he had eaten the food for the top already and developed diarrhea and was overall not comfortable.

Since then we've switched him to Wellness Core Ocean Formula and he has never been happier. He can't wait to eat his breakfast in the morning, has tons of energy, his allergies are better than ever, and his digestion is outstanding. Blue Buffalo would have eventually killed my dog, I have no doubt in my mind.

Original review: March 2, 2015

In January, I switched my 2 dogs (an English Pointer and a Lab/Terrier mix) to Blue Buffalo dog food. I thought switching them would help my Pointer with her sensitive stomach as I had heard that a grain-free diet would benefit her. Pretty quickly, both dogs have been very lethargic and have had vomiting and diarrhea. 2 weeks ago, my Lab mix was unable to control her bowels. After a second episode of diarrhea, the contents of which was all blood, I took her to the vet. I thought I was going to have to put her to sleep that day (she is 2 years old). The vet said he had never seen anything like it before. He put her on 3 different kinds of medicine and I was told to bring her back immediately if she became worse. Well, she got better and after a week of giving her rice and boiled chicken, I started her back on the Blue Buffalo dog food again.

My Pointer has been walking away from her food dish, but is eating some of it. She had a small seizure the other day which scared the heck out of me, and her. I have been keeping a close eye on both of them. The only thing I could think of was that I had switched them both to BLUE. I could not figure out why they have BOTH been so ill, until went online today and read all of the posts. Shame on Blue Buffalo for poisoning people's pets, and SHAME ON Petco and PetSmart for endorsing them and stocking BLUE products. The vet cost me almost $300, not to mention that I spent about $100 on the big bags of food I just bought that I have to throw away.

Original review: March 2, 2015

My 10 months old puppy has been eating Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice for puppy for several months and he was fine. I chose the brand cause I thought it's the best for my puppy. After the 2 large bags, I decided to let him taste something different so I bought the Red Meat flavor. My puppy was sick from the first night. He had diarrhea, bloody stool and vomited. I thought he ate something he shouldn't at the dog park. He had an x-ray but found nothing apart from inflammatory all along from stomach through his rear. He ate plain boiled rice for a week then I gave him the Red Meat puppy food again when his stool got firmer.

His buddy puppy was with me that day and ate the same food. That very same night, my puppy and his buddy had the worst diarrhea ever, stinky bloody and watery poop puddles all over my bedroom. I stopped feeding him the dog food and gave him boiled rice again for several days until his stool firmed up. Then I fed him that dog food again. Guess what? Diarrhea again! Now I am 100% sure, it's this Rocky Mountain Recipe Grain Free Puppy Red Meat that cause the sickness. I thought my puppy was intolerant to the food so I gave the food bag to my friend and his puppy had diarrhea on the first day he had the food. No other conclusion, the food is poisoning.

Original review: March 2, 2015

We have been feeding our puppy Blue Buffalo for about a year now without issues. Suddenly, with this most recent bag of food, our puppy has had a lot of gas. Yesterday she stopped eating her food and now has diarrhea. Clearly it's the food.

Original review: March 2, 2015

My two Golden Retrievers were eating the vet dog food, RD chicken for three years. We began feeding them the Blue Buffalo chicken and rice because the six-year old would not eat. We fed them one cup in the morning and one cup at night. Our six-year old has put on 25 pounds in a month from eating this food. And after reading all the reviews about dogs getting sick, we will be switching back to something else that is lighter even if the six-year old won't eat it.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I purchased Blue Buffalo last month, as our usual brand was not available on the day that I went to the store. Having heard such good things about it, I thought it was probably one of the best available. And for the price I certainly would hope so! The type is Blue Life Protection Healthy Weight Adult Dog Chicken and Rice. However, after initially eating it with no obvious problems for a day or two, she suddenly began to not eat, or only nibble at her food. Her breakfast was still there at dinner time, her dinner was still there the next morning. She became lethargic and started vomiting up what she ate.

This morning I looked for recalls and came to this site... all of the complaints look like just what we are going through. I have thrown out the remainder of the food and am going back to our usual brand. I also have contacted the company and hope that others on here have as well. Hopefully she will quickly improve... I have no reason to think it could be anything but the food, having read all of these reviews.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I have two dogs and I've been feeding them the Blue brand. Both have started having constipation issues and the puppy was crying while trying to poop last night. So I started researching their dog food and found this website. I am so sorry to the ones who have had a sick dog/cat and or a loss of a beloved pet. This makes me sick that I could've hurt my lil ones by feeding them this food!! Needless to say I will be changing their food after reading what I so sadly had to read. Thank you for sharing your story. You may have saved my babies. Now I have to change their food AGAIN and TRY to find something safe and healthy for them.

Original review: March 2, 2015

My 4-year old kitty has always been healthy and happy. About a week after switching to BB cat food, he stopped peeing. $2000 later, the food I believe is too rich, caused crystals to block his bladder (no infection, just blockage) and made him very sick. We now are on prescription cat food for life - that is twice the price of BB. I fully blame BB for this. I am currently transitioning my dog and other 2 cats off BB, it's just not for us.

Original review: March 2, 2015

My dog died today. Both my dogs were getting skinny - didn't know why. Just read about the blue buffalo lawsuit. My dog Katya was going on two years old - just had her first litter and now I have two orphan puppies we're trying to keep alive. She was an amazing dog - always healthy. We trusted blue and now to find it probably killed her. I hope no one else has to lose a part of their family. Me and my wife can't have kids. She was our daughter and now she's gone.

Original review: March 1, 2015

My dog Bella was sick for days and she had blood in her stools; not just a little, it was severe bleeding. Bella finally stopped eating the dog food and refused to eat it at all. I left her food out and my little dog ate her food and woke up in the middle of the night really sick with vomit and poops. I have thrown this stuff out because it's bad stuff!

Original review: March 1, 2015

We tried to transition our new rescue to Blue Buffalo because it was recommended as one of the highest-end brands in the store. With their recent buyout by Mars and the countless reports online of dogs getting sick, I was a total moron for purchasing this food (or even allowing my dog near it). Even after a slow transition, Blue Buffalo caused my dog to vomit uncontrollably over our entire house and the resulting stress from his illness led him to tear up the carpet, furniture, and eat his chew toys.

Original review: March 1, 2015

Use for a service dog for a year. Noticed raw skin. Been to the vet to receive antibiotic. I'm pissed to replace this dog will cost well over 10k.

Original review: March 1, 2015

I make Blue dry food available if puppy gets extra hungry or needs extra nutrition. My thinking was this: would I eat the same food day-in and day-out, 24/7? With preservatives, natural or otherwise? With GMO rice grains perhaps? Of course not. I would get very sick. I don't even know the source of the chickens or if they were fed GMO corn! A dog has a great sense of smell. Why should I not home-cook for him fresh meals that taste great? I believe dogs need a variety of fresh foods. Dry food is hard on the tummy, the fillers & added vitamins can simply be too much. Toxic patches of food exists in every big brand label. Silos of food, food that spoils, will spoil. Molds grow. Some bags filled at the bottom of the silo will just be too old perhaps.

My puppy is having no side effects from Blue in 10 months - we're still on the first small bag. In other words, he's eating most of his meals as mommy's "home-made." The 6-pound bag expires in May. I keep it airtight. The puppy eats his dry food as he wills. A little tiny natural preservative, added vitamins, GMO rice perhaps (?), we can tolerate. Our farm dogs got a variety of "real" food. Too much of any one commercial thing is toxic to any system. Packaging & food processing always has its risks. EAT FRESH, and use dry food as added supplementation, sparingly, in my opinion. The Blue bag does not say how much a dog or puppy can tolerate! We've been sold by our vets to use commercial food products. Our vet visits increase - go figure.

Original review: March 1, 2015

My puppy has been on BB Life Source Chicken and Rice large breed, we have had no problems. Just bought a new bag. The food texture was different and the bag was different than before. Terrible uncontrollable diarrhea right away. We are immediately stopping her on this. I hope other dog owners beware.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

I hope you take time to read this review. I have been in personal contact with more Blue Buffalo customers than any of you (seriously). Also, I have talked with pet parents who hate blue buffalo! One such parent, just the other day, told me that her vet told her that blue caused her dog's digestive problem. Big bucks at the vet(!) and, wow!, she hates blue buffalo with a healthy passion!!! She also mentioned, she has found websites saying blue caused dogs "serious health issues." I've spoken to people who say that blue caused diarrhea in their dogs (all had used Wilderness without the "recommended" transition period, whatever...their dog got the ** and that's serious business!). The number one complaint on blue is this: "my dog didn't like it!"

Now, let me confide in you and tell you that I'm a bb rep. They pay me to get you to use bb! BUT...I'm a dog daddy, first and foremost. I ask EVERY blue customer what they think about the food. Here is the truth about this product...(I'm a retired reading professor, so you know)...bb customers RAVE about this product! I have heard so many rave reviews that you would use this food, whether or not your dog even liked it, had the **, or ! Health, energy, no allergy problems, great poohs. No **, bb is actual a good dog food. Thanks for reading this seriously tendered review from a knowledgable dog daddy (who has had good results, himself). I like working for bb because I get to chat with people who are as crazy-in-love with their dogs as are Patty and I. (:

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

Thank you for everyone that has posted on here. We thought this was an isolated incident when we bought another bag of Blue Buffalo chicken and rice 12 Feb 15 in Texas and my dogs would not touch it for two days. Then my Beagle ate the food and threw it up immediately. She did this for several days until we went back to the store and bought a bag of Blue Buffalo fish and rice. Most of the problems went away but now we will not take anymore chances and switch to another brand. If what some of you have posted about them outsourcing to China then we will never do business with them again. We will not buy products made in China for ourselves or our Dogs. Big corporate GREED is the only reason they do this, and the ones that do it will eventually be found out and FAIL.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

My French bulldog was on Blue Basics, Limited Ingredients. About 2 months into feeding it to him, he started vomiting everything he ate or drank, followed by bloody diarrhea the next day. We took him to the vet (a $250 visit) who said he must have gotten into something in the backyard. She gave him an antibiotic, an anti-vomiting medicine, and instructed us to feed him low-sodium turkey and canned pumpkin. We did this for a bit, and he was back to normal. The day we began integrating the Blue back into his diet, the vomiting and bloody diarrhea came back immediately. That was our cue that it was the food that was making him sick. I will NEVER recommend this food to anyone, and whenever I hear or see people feeding their animals Blue, I tell them what happened. I wouldn't go near it if it was the last food on earth! My Frenchie is now doing wonderfully on Fromm!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

My cat has been eating BB for 8 years, but her last bag contained ++ amounts of food dust I think, and has since started having Seizures. She has had 11 in the last 8 days. Blood work has ruled out a lot of possibilities, and now my vet is looking at her food.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

Male Basenji 4 yrs old. I purchased a bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Boar. Gunther is use to eating high protein Orijens or Naturals Raw dog food or raw meat that I prepare. Occasionally, he will eat Diamond Naturals when he's at my nephews house without any issues. He can switch it up with no problems. So, the high protein content of BB Wilderness seemed like a good alternative for him. He had one dinner meal and he loved it. I thought we had a hit until the diarrhea started within an hour! He had explosive diarrhea for the last two days, and nothing was helping until I finally gave him Frankincense and Marjoram essential oils for the inflammation and cramping.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

I got a bag of Blue Buffalo from someone and started feeding my 11 week old chihuahua. It mixed with her canned food. She ate it up the first night but then stopped for some reason; she normally has a voracious appetite, but I couldn't get her to eat the dry. After 2 days, she won't eat anything and has had a significant change in her stool and is vomiting. I am taking her off the Blue Buffalo immediately and putting her back on the puppy chow she had been eating since we got her 6 weeks ago. I felt so good about having this high quality food for her, but after reading all the stories and seeing for myself the significant change in my Ruby, quality food be damned.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

My Silky Terrier had been eating Blue Buffalo Life Protection Senior for 5 years now. Recently I purchased a new 15 lb bag on January 2015. My dog started vomiting blood, having seizures, and black/tarry stools. He couldn't hold his bladder and urinated constantly while crying. He was 17 years old and had recently had his health check up with vet who said he was healthy in November 2014. I rushed my dog to the Vet on February 3, 2015. Vet said he was in Liver/Kidney Failure. I had to put him down because he was too far gone and I didn't want him suffering. I will never, ever recommend this food to anyone again. Blue Buffalo you need to reimburse me for pain and suffering and also the vet bills. Purchased at Pet Supplies Plus, Penfield, NY (Expiration Date: N0V/15/2015).

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

Our 7 month old Cane Corso has been on Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy dry kibble for 5 months. Up until last week he has gobbled it up and has had no issues with it. At the beginning of the week when I tried to feed him breakfast, he was very hesitant but did eat it. This has never happened before. He threw up about 2 hours later. He has since had daily bouts of diarrhea and won't eat more than maybe a cup a day (when he usually eats 6 cups... he's a big boy).

Thank goodness he is eating rice and boiled chicken just fine. I put the bag up today... no more. Our puppy is not a picky eater and loves to eat, so it is alarming for him to refuse his kibble. I noticed that we are approaching the bottom of the bag (maybe about 1/4 from the bottom). I don't know if this has anything to do with it?? We bought it around the first week of Feb. I have a serial number of 5961000044 and MT410581.01 with a best buy date of March 21 2016. We didn't keep our receipt. I didn't anticipate a problem. He's gone through many bags without problems. We'll keep all receipts from now on.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

We have an English Bulldog and a chihuahua. Recently we switched to BB. Our bulldogs hair fell out in WADS! Our chihuahua would vomit. Both dogs refused the kibble, choosing to go hungry. Glad I found this site and discovered the truth. Really, you can't even FIND dog food made with all ingredients from the U.S.A. We stopped the BB after only 5 days. In less than 24 hours later, I noticed the hair falling out problem has stopped. I'm glad I seen this before we ended up like others and got huge vet bills. We are now feeding our dogs like children- if we wouldn't eat it, they won't be eating it either.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information