2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.57/5

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

My dog was hospitalized last weekend with pancreatitis. Here is what my vet said: "We see this all the time in dogs that have been on Blue Buffalo for an extended period. Great commercials--bad dog food. Blue Buffalo is too rich for most dogs to tolerate over time." I'm a label reader, and I had not only examined the ingredients but had searched for negative reviews of Blue Buffalo online before feeding it to my beloved German Shepherd/Cattle Dog mix.

Every review I read was positive, so I put him on it, and he's been on it for five years. Turns out, instead of giving him good quality care, I was nearly killing him. (I suspect that Blue Buffalo hires a software company to 'scrub' their bad search engine results, but I can't prove that.) Please, please consult your vet before feeding this dog food. Since my dog was essentially feral when I adopted him, having to hospitalize was torture for everyone involved; he reverted to his wild state, pacing the entire time. They were unable to keep an I.V. in. I am so, so fortunate I didn't lose him.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

My miniature Australian Shepherd would get bored with the same food all the time so we switched around a lot. I got Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula recently and it never seemed to satisfy her, but she seemed ok otherwise. Wednesday, January 8th, 2020, she was fine all day. We walked, she ate and seemed fine. As I was getting out of the shower, I heard her yipping as if in pain. When I got to her, she was gone. I have been reading other posts of adverse reactions, and it makes me wonder. I am already heartbroken over losing my best friend, but if I find out I could have prevented her death, I will be absolutely devastated.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

When we switched to Blue Buffalo Life Protection Senior Chicken and Rice, my 13 yr old English Shepherd was showing signs of dementia, poor eyesight and hearing, arthritis, flea dermatitis and was underweight. It has been about 4 months, and he eats wet and kibble, along with oatmeal and yams/pumpkins, twice daily. All aspects have improved, and he is no longer showing any signs of dementia, day or night. He loves mealtime! We love this product.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My dog has had troubles adjusting to dog food before as she is very picky and thinks she needs to eat more treats than dog food. But I have never seen her do something like this, after a week of eating the food she started drooling, was very lethargic, and couldn’t stand. Took her to the vet the next morning to find out she had pancreatitis, best thing was it had just started and we got it under control before it could get worse. I do not recommend Blue Buffalo to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My dog was totally fine before Blue Buffalo! I gave him the biscuits to try out the new brand since I couldn't find his current ones he always ate. I took him to the vet when he started acting funny, it was about time for his rabies shot anyways so hit two birds with one stone right? Well I'm glad I ran a full test! Blood work and everything tells me all of a sudden my healthy boy has signals for acute renal disease?! Are you kidding me?! The lethargy, the no motivation to zombie around, the over drinking water like he had been starved of it for years! What the hell Blue Buffalo! You play a big game saying you're so amazing and yet you're killing my dog! My baby is all I have left and your shoddy work has nothing to show for "how much you care". Five hundred dollars in vet Bills! I haven't taken him back because I have no money! He could die and this is because of Blue Buffalo!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I have been using the Blue Buffalo Dental bones for years. My veterinarian agrees that they have helped my 10 yr old teeth from needing to go under for for a cleaning. I stand behind all Blue Buffalo products and will continue to use for all 4 of my pets.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cats are 15 months old. I've been feeding them Blue Buffalo since they came home with us. I noticed that there was occasionally blood in the fecal material in the litter box but not knowing which cat it was and not seeing any other symptoms at the time I didn't pay much mind. I did notice for several months my male cat, Adam, would take a long time squatting to urinate but little to nothing would come out. I thought maybe he was just shy to go with me watching. I also noticed that sometimes the litter would be soaked through with a high stench of ammonia. We get the extra ammonia blocking litter and clean the boxes regularly and very well.

On 12/28/19 I noticed Adam was very upset and seemed to be in severe pain. He was laying on the couch yowling and it appeared like he was either trying to vomit or pass (either urine or feces) but couldn't. I called the closest vet and they recommended I take him to the emergency vet. I took him in immediately. After 3 days in the animal hospital and a HUGE bill it turned out he had bladder crystals. It was so severe the vet couldn't get a catheter in to empty his bladder. It took several attempts and some ingenuity on their part to drain the urine which was full of blood. He also stopped eating and drinking for 3 days. He will be on prescription food for the rest of his life. After reading the reviews and speaking to multiple vets they all said how horrible Blue Buffalo is and that it is NOT holistic or organic. If you love your pets PLEASE do not feed them any sort of Blue Buffalo products.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

If you love your fur baby, don’t buy these products. My completely healthy 5 year old fur baby was taken to the animal hospital a week ago after suddenly not having much of an appetite followed by having some mucus-y diarrhea, less than 48 hours she was no longer with us. The only thing we’ve given her were Blue Buffalo products thinking they were high quality. There’s too many similar situations with blue buffalo being the common denominator.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

A few months ago my husband came home to find my very healthy active basset hound very sick and I have no doubt the cause was the Blue Buffalo food we fed him the night before. We had gone through a few bags of Blue Buffalo and though my other dog wasn't a huge fan it seemed to be okay until we had purchased a new bag and fed them maybe 2 times out of it. My husband came home from work and my dog whole living room/kitchen was covered in vomit, diarrhea & blood. My dog has not had an accident in the house in the last 8 adult years of his life. I am pretty sure he would just explode before he went in the house, but he was so sick. My husband noticed immediately he was bleeding from his anus and took him straight to the vet.

$300+ dollars later and 2 days of very upset stomach he started to get better. I have no doubt it was the food and if we wouldn't have rushed him to the vet and got meds in him asap it would have been much worse. Don't take the chance go with another food, I regret not looking into this brand more before buying it. There is too many complaints for there not to be something wrong.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Gastric bleeding from food. I previously left a review, and I just contacted Blue Buffalo because I am pissed. It appears that there are enough of us that have this exact same documented issue that if we contact an attorney then once the case is won they take a percentage.. I called the number for blue Buffalo. I was told to submit a claim and it could take eight to 12 weeks. I'm sorry but that's far too long and people and their dogs could still become harmed because of this. For over a week I was up and down in the middle of the night cleaning up vomit, poop, my dog shaking and whining, and then I finally free to mice all blood and took him to the vet. Thank God he didn't die. Feel free to email me with questions. ** Please put dog or something of that nature in the subject. Potential 3 or 4 months to hear something back is unacceptable.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information