2.29/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1924 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

I've always purchased Blue brand dog dry food and never I have encountered issues until now. My 8 year old Shih-Tzu is being plagued with constant diarrhea, vomiting, uneasy stomach, and trouble sleeping in his bed due to all the symptoms mentioned before. I give him only this dry food and I have no doubt this is causing my poor little dog to suffer. I stopped giving him the food after 1 week of this and now he seems to be relieving certain symptoms, still with diarrhea but the vomiting stopped. If you too are encountering this same issue please make sure to report to the FDA and Blue Buffalo pet nutrition/care hotline.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have raised a golden retriever and feed him bil-jac for 17 years until he passed. He was never sick, acted like a puppy 'til the day he died. We decided to get a new dog, a standard poodle my husband baby which he wanted to give her the best possible food. The breeder was feeding her Blue Buffalo so we decided to try it rather he did. I always was on the bil-jac team. After purchasing a bag close to 50 dollars upon opening a brand new bag I was shocked to find feces in it. Yes feces and it had the same coating on it as the dog food so this had to occur at the processing plant. So God only knows how many bags are out there with feces in them.

I then came upon this page and was shocked to see that I was not the only one to have this happen to. I can’t believe I LITERALLY paid 50 dollars for a bag of **. Please save your money. If you want to feed your dogs ** it’s free. You don’t need to buy this expensive dog food. I have found that Bil-Jac is the best dog food. My dog loves it and again like my previous dog has never been sick. I am so disappointed in blue buffalo. I wanted to call and voice my complaint to them but I read in other many other reviews that they did just that and in their words blue buffalo could care less so I don’t know what to do but write this review which I wish we would have read before spending 50 dollars on a bag of **. So disappointing.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We adopted a dog a couple of months ago and purchased Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice dry dog food. Within a couple of weeks our new dog became sick with vomiting and loose stools. The vet put him on Hills i/d and he recovered quickly. Nobody knew what had made him sick so as advised we transitioned back to Blue Buffalo over about 3 weeks. Within a few days of reaching 100% Blue Buffalo he started vomiting again. There seems to be a wave of complaints over the last month of people finding their dogs, some of which have been fed Blue Buffalo for years, are suddenly getting sick. In conjunction with their recall 2 years back I won't be buying their products again. Apparently their quality control isn't sufficient.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have a Terrier mix named Buddy. Buddy is going on 12 years old with never any issues. Because I like most dog owners consider our pets like family I wanted to provide Buddy the best food for him I can buy. After watching a television commercial about Blue Buffalo I decided to try it. I slowly added small amounts of Blue Buffalo with Buddy's usual dry food to wean him onto Blue Buffalo slowly.

Buddy is housebroken and would never go potty inside the house. After about a week Buddy started vomiting and had constant bad diarrhea with mucus and blood. Buddy would sometimes even after very late walks still go potty inside. It was not just one random episode but sometimes 3 or 4 times a night on the carpet. This broke my heart that somehow I took a perfectly fine dog and turned him into something he has never displayed before. I took Buddy to the Vet and he told me I was the eighth dog brought in with the same symptoms. He went on to say that Blue Buffalo was the worst choice of dog food to give to Buddy.

After his weekly medication with a diet of white rice and chicken Buddy is almost back to normal. The vet diagnosed Buddy with Acute Colitis. I am sure some people may have had a different experience but mine is a stern warning to absolutely avoid this dog food. This was an experience that took up way too much time, deep heartbreak, carpet cleaning, vet bill, and unnecessary stress. Now my conscience is clear, you have been warned. Take care.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have an almost 11 year old Morkie (Yorkie/Maltese mix). I’ve had her on Blue Buffalo products since she was 3-4 years old. Never had issue, until now. She has been experiencing terrible GI issues. Diarrhea on and off. Full of mucus and blood. The stool was black. I took her to the vet and he advised my dog was the 6th dog he treated with GI issues that all were on Blue Buffalo this month alone. He recommended Hill's Science or Royal Canin. I am still not sure I like those brands either. I put her on a home cooked chicken and rice diet and of course on the medications prescribed and she seemed to get better. My mistake was trying to incorporate Blue Buffalo again as that has always been her food. My baby is a senior and GI issues are common, but after incorporating the food again she went right back to the GI problems. Please, do your pet and yourself a favor and steer away from Blue Buffalo to avoid GI issues in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: June 9, 2019

I had switched to Blue Buffalo can food, Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill Senior and also Rocky Mountain Red Meat Senior, both in cans. I have 3 cockapoos. Winston developed osterscarama and diarrhea, too sick. He was put to sleep when he couldn't breathe anymore. He had cancer in his throat and esophagus. The others 2 cockapoos had been having tarry black stools, diarrhea and vomiting. One was explosive all over the floor. Both were too sick. I stopped using the cans. I had been feeding them rice, boiled chicken, boiled egg. They are getting better now. Put these food on recall, please....

Original review: June 7, 2019

My Beagle loves the Blue Training treats. We have tried several, and these seem to be his favorite. He begs to train several times a day. He learns to be an obedient pup, and we get a well trained friend for life. Win, win!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have a 3½ yr old Weimaraner and he had been on Eukanuba since we had got him but our vet suggested we might try and switch him to a little better quality food. So we chose to go with the Blue Buffalo brand, and everything was ok for about the first week, but after that he started getting horrible diarrhea. And we had just got a puppy as a companion for him but unfortunately she had Giardia when we got her, and so we thought maybe he may have picked it up from the new puppy. But we had a stool sample tested for him and the vet said it had came back negative for everything. And the diarrhea had gotten so bad at that point, he was crying while he was pooping.

So we asked the vet what to do and they told us to try and switch foods, so we switched him to Nutro Essentials, which I hear is a pretty good food and what we now have the puppy on as well. And a day and a half after we switched his food, his stools started getting back to normal. And now it has been almost a week and all is good now. I believe it was the Blue Wilderness brand of Blue Buffalo, and I don't know what it was doing to my dog internally, but I'm glad everything seemed to have worked out. Hope this helps others make their decision about dog foods. Oh and I forgot to mention I also noticed around the time when my dog started crying while trying to poop, that a strip of his fur, on top of his head going from ear to ear, had turned colors. It almost looked as if he was losing all the hair in that area. Not sure if it was related, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Also years ago, when my cousin had just got her puppy, she chose Blue Buffalo and when she poured some into the bowl for her pup, there were 6 or 7 LARGE GOAT TEETH in the food! And yes I'm sure they were goat teeth, we scoured Google to find out what they were. So from my experience, I would recommend that you stay away from the entire line of Blue Buffalo's products at all costs!

Original review: June 3, 2019

I purchased a large bag of Blue buffalo dog food. When I opened the bag, I was shocked to see webbings and maggots throughout the bag. It was disappointing to spend $60 on a big bag of “quality “ dog food and it was full of worms/maggots. I took the dog food back and the cashier said it’s very common to get worms. I have purchased dog food the last 40 years and I have never seen worms/maggots in a brand new bag of dog food. I will no longer by Blue Buffalo dog food. I exchanged it for Science Diet.

Original review: June 1, 2019

There is a true blue promise on the back of the bag of our blue wilderness adult cat food bag. It says no chicken/poultry by product meals. The 2nd ingredient is CHICKEN MEAL. Ummmm... lies? Just saying.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information