1.97/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: June 25, 2015

I would just like to say that Blue Buffalo has been incredible for my cats. I recently fostered a poor and pregnant cat and she's been getting Healthy Growth Kitten dry food and Wilderness Kitten wet food throughout her pregnancy and lactation. She's not only put on weight but the kittens are nice and chunky - after seeing how great the food worked for her, I switched my personal two kittens, and adult cat to the Healthy Growth Kitten dry food along with lots of extra water, and Wilderness wet food - everyone seems to be doing great! My overweight adult cat is slimming up and my kittens (7 months and 2 1/2 months) are much healthier. It's very important to provide plenty of water, wet food regularly, and make the switch from a low-quality food to a high quality like Blue slowly.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I started feeding my two goldens Life protection formula with life source bits. They have been sick for 3 days. Vomiting as well as loosing their bowels. Neither of my dogs has ever gone in my home and lost control of their bowels. It is like they have been poisoned. I have never had a reaction with any/other dog food. I have taken them off this food and am very upset about the reaction both of them had. I will place them on chicken and rice diet and see if they get better. I am sick with worry and hope they have no lasting health issues. I emailed the Company this am. Food is a huge concern to me now. What we feed our pets as well as what we eat.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 24, 2015

I have had my two pure breed Fox Terriers on a combination of different blends of BB food for the past five (5) years. During this period my animals have thrived on the food. I mix in a little wet with the dry and they love it. They have never been sick a day in their lives. Their coats are beautiful and all their blood work comes back WNL when at the vet. I have read the comments here and just don't understand how a large amount of animals can get that sick from this food. I don't believe many of you. I think that a lot of you are paid bashers maybe paid by other dog food companies to come on here and just spread a pity party. I LOVE BLUE BUFFALO. And my dogs LOVE IT TOO!

Original review: June 24, 2015

My daughter got a three month old kitten, a month ago. She was feeding him store/generic kitten brand food. The kitten was healthy and his stools were normal. We needed to buy more food, so I went to Petco and the employee recommended BW Chicken recipe for kittens. Since I've been using that brand with no problems for my eleven year old Chihuahua, I decided to get a cat version too. So I got several cans of moist food and dry food also.

The kitten got explosive diarrhea and I didn't realize it was the food. I had continued feeding him the dry food and the moist food and it got worse. Not only caused diarrhea but I could also see blood in the stool. After reading exactly the same situation from others pet owners, there is no doubt in my mind that the kitten is sick now because of the food. I'm really disappointed. I definitely will not recommend this brand at all.

Original review: June 23, 2015

Our cat Luigi was on BB Life Source for 2 years. He was howling when he used litter box and urinated on bed to try to tell us he was ill. We went to vet and were told this food is very bad causing crystals in urinary tract and painful infections. We were given plastic litter to get a sample and the urine was all blood. Our cat was on antibiotics for 2 weeks and seems to be improving. Our vet suggests Hills c/d for him. We are changing our 2 other cats too from cat food and throwing this poison food away. With more research I found BB has outsourced to China, explaining to all that the bottom line means more to them than animal's lives. Shame on you BB. Your poison food should be removed from all stores and I pray the lawsuits against you put your lying company out of business!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: June 23, 2015

We switched to BB for the "healthier alternative." Turns out that it gave our pug of 9 years severe kidney problems, shortly after BB he was peeing blood. First vet visit he had some tests done, I didn't mention any dietary changes (thinking the BB was safe and natural that it wouldn't have any consequences). 2nd vet visit I told the vet we switched to BB, he told me that was my problem right there and that I should have told them sooner and he told me that Blue Buffalo would kill him. He was right. Our pug never recovered and we had to put him down yesterday. Even though he was an older dog, we feel cheated out of a few more years with him. Since then, I've done some research, turns out their "all natural" isn't all natural. Google "Blue Buffalo, China."

Original review: June 23, 2015

When our puppy was young he had a problem with chronic ear infections. After numerous trips to the vet it was determined he likely had a protein allergy to chicken. We changed our food to Blue Buffalo grain free duck to avoid chicken protein exposure. The ear infections persisted despite our vigilance in restricting the protein. I wonder how much poultry (chicken) byproduct he was exposed to? The food itself was expensive but even more so were the numerous vet visits and tests. Would love to be compensated for all the vet visits and time spent wondering why his ears would not improve even with a strict duck only diet!

Original review: June 23, 2015

I have a German Shepherd puppy and she got diarrhea because of this food and she became really sick!

Original review: June 22, 2015

We have never had any problems with our dogs until feeding them this poison! One dog was so sick they didn't think he would make to morning. Bleeding stool, can't get up, can't eat, throwing up, crying all the time. $1580 later he came home. Sent all papers from vet and they had the nerve to send me a letter stating that they can't see how their dog food did this. I'm NOT done with them.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I fed your basics grain free small breed can food to my dogs. Within an hour of them eating they became violently ill with diarrhea and vomiting. I have never in my life seen this. I am furious.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I have a 5 year old cat. My cat has been on Blue Wilderness for approximately two years. In recent days he started vomiting and not urinating. I took him to my vet and he informed me that my cat had a complete urinary tract obstruction. My vet informed me that it was a life or death situation, I must take him to an emergency room immediately before his bladder burst. After 3 days in the hospital and $2,400.00 later I can finally bring him home. He will have to be on a prescription diet the rest of his life thanks to Blue Wilderness. This product should be taken off the shelves.

Original review: June 18, 2015

We've been feeding this for five years to our 2 senior Pugs and our 7 year old Pomeranian. Over the last 6 months we've noticed some changes in our dogs. One of our Pugs only eats once a day or even every two days. Our Pom (who used to LOVE his food) now barks and growls when we feed (twice a day). Today he flat refused to eat and ran and hid. We've had loose and liquid poops on and off in the old female Pug and the Pom. They are trying to eat grass, and today didn't even want their vitamins - lethargic, cranky, and just not acting normal. I emailed links to the dog food reviews and this page. I hope he agrees with me.

Original review: June 18, 2015

I gave my 2 year old Himalayan cat some "Indoor Freedom Grain Free Natural Chicken" cat food for the first time last week. He has no history of food intolerance or GI issues and he liked the food. A few hours later he was trying to vomit and then he had terrible diarrhea. I did not link this to the food at the time. He then became listless and just sat by his water bowl. He was really sick. I proceeded to syringe feed him water hourly so he wouldn't become dehydrated and finally, he perked up.

Late the following day I gave him more of this food, again, not realizing that the food was a problem. Several hours later he was vomiting & had violent diarrhea, lethargic and looked ill. I watched him very carefully and syringed water hourly and was ready to bolt to emergency any minute. I finally was able to get him feeling better and, although he was off his food, he ate a little fresh cooked chicken. There is no doubt in my mind that this food made him so sick! Interestingly, it was two separate cans, not just one. I have read the ingredients and cannot fathom what is in this food to cause such a reaction. It was like he'd been poisoned.

Original review: June 18, 2015

In 2013 I was given an 8-week old Siberian Husky. I had raised dogs before and used Purina products with absolutely no issues. However, 2 days after I got my puppy and started feeding her Purina Puppy Chow she started throwing up and had really bad diarrhea. I did some research and talked to her breeder who recommended that I try either BB or Victor food. None of the stores in our area carry Victor foods so I went with BB Wilderness for Puppies. She has never been sick again and everything that she eats comes from BB. Treats, dental chews, and food. We love it and have no plans to change!

Original review: June 17, 2015

I've been feeding Blue Buffalo Small Breed Puppy to my puppy for 8 months and didn't have an issue until this week. I bought a new bag and fed my puppy like normal. About 4 days later she was getting skinny and had loose stools and throwing up. She never gained weight on this food even though it claims it has almost 30% protein... I took her off and now no problems! Will never feed Blue Buffalo again!! It's a waste of money!!

Original review: June 17, 2015

I have had the same problems as numerous others on this site. I naively thought that Blue Buffalo was a very good premium food. I spent thousands feeding my cats the blue basics, one cat developed kidney problems, one cat developed a skin allergy and was losing a lot of hair on his back. My other male cat just got done having emergency surgery because of blocked urethra! To the tune of 3000.00!!! I am now financially strapped. I have since switched foods but BLUE needs to be required to PAY up at least people vet bills!!! They are a menace to people who own pets, when I see people buying the food in the pet store I want to be sick!!!

Original review: June 16, 2015

I had been feeding my cat Blue indoor dry food for about 10 years old. He had to be put down due to intestinal and colon tumors found. Now my other cats that have also been on Blue are not wanting to eat the food. Are they trying to tell me something? One cat has been vomiting something that looks like blood. Taking back the Blue and trying something else before it's too late for them too. What is in this food???

Original review: June 15, 2015

My 5-year old male Shih Tzu has been experiencing a bout of lethargy the last few weeks. The only dog food he eats is BB Salmon. After reading the comments on this page, I am very concerned that BB might be the cause of his problems. Starting today, I will be switching him to another brand. If his condition improves over the next few days or weeks, I will be posting more comments. My concern is, just what is the best dog food money can buy? Truth in advertising has now become a joke. Comments are welcome... Thanks.

Original review: June 15, 2015

Something weird is going on with your foods. I use Life Protection, have for over three years...and in the past couple months, I struggle to get my pets to eat it. I emailed you, asked PetSmart employees, and nobody seems to know what's going on. Though many folks I've talked to have expressed similar issues (dogs have lost interest in the food). In addition, I've also noticed more frequent grass-eating and upset stomachs. I literally don't feed my pets anything besides your dog food...they never receive table scraps, I buy MAYBE two bags of treats for them each year, don't change their foods.

Really disappointed - I'm changing over to a new brand now and have already noticed a much greater interest in eating than I had with Blue for the past couple months. Hopefully other folks who've had similar experiences can chime in 'cause something is not right. I bought this at PetSmart in Dubuque, IA. I submitted everything needed to Blue Buffalo for them to investigate. I didn't keep the receipt or order online so I cannot provide that information.

Original review: June 15, 2015

I recently had to switch my 3 month old yorkie's food from the Hill's Science Diet due to an incident that happened to our other dog. I decided to get BB because I've seen advertisement on what a great food it was. After 1 day of feeding him, I noticed the next morning he didn't want to eat it. (He always wants to eat in the morning) so I set it out for him throughout the day and he didn't touch it until I put it in my hand and he ate it. This went on for 2 days. The 3rd night he kept walking up and sniffing it, but didn't eat it. I then fed him a little bit at a time from my hand. During the night, I woke up twice to where he had vomited it up. I then took him to the bathroom to use his pee pad and he had very lose stool and then diarrhea.

The next morning I tried to get him to eat it again and he wouldn't. I had another food that I was temporarily using in a ziplock back. I poured some in his bowl on top of what was left of the BB and he immediately ate the other food and didn't touch the BB. So after reading the different reviews on here, I will no longer feed him BB.

Original review: June 14, 2015

My 4 year old German Shepherd has been eating the Blue Buffalo Freedom Chicken for Adult Recipe for 2 solid years. Starting in March/April of 2015, he began having regular diarrhea (Mucus coated at first). It was intermittent some days with a few regular stools mixed in so I kept trying to convince myself he was eating something in the yard or coming across bacteria somewhere. I refused to believe this food was an issue as I researched and my husband and I thought we were buying the best for our beloved dog. Vet visits, antibiotics, Pedialyte, Imodium, etc., nothing helped. I finally tried chicken and rice for a few days and he is loving life and 100% better with stools fit for a medical guide book on health. We will never use this food again.

Shame on Blue Buffalo for not listening to their consumers. I used to be the biggest advocate for this company and raved about it to every pet owner I knew. Now, I'm going out of my way to call all the same people and warn them to make their latest bag of Blue their LAST. It is not a coincidence that all of our dogs are sick. Do something before it's too late for your pet.

Original review: June 14, 2015

My beautiful retired show Lhasa Apso died an horrific death last September 2014. Deione had been having small mucous stool for a day. He went to vomiting the next morning. He couldn't drink water without it coming up. I took him into my veterinarian on an emergency Sunday. He had abdominal pain. His white blood count was high. All other blood work was normal. He was put on IV fluids, with aggressive course of antibiotics & pain medication. I took him home over night to encourage drinking or eating anything. What he did drink came up. He loved food. I watched him all night miserable, but wagged his tail.

Took him back into my vet the next am. She gave him pain meds, he looked stressed. Xray showed more intestinal inflammation. Blood work, white count doubled. He was suffering and would not survive. He was euthanized. It tears me apart to have seen that and he should die like that from Blue Buffalo Chicken / Senior & regular variety. Shame on that company. They will never be able to replace my stud dog, but the expensive vet bill that came with. I would have sold my car if I could have my dog saved. All of this 2 weeks after my open brain surgery.

Original review: June 13, 2015

I'm a little worried with all of these negative comments. I know most people only get motivation to post from a negative experience and with so many negative posts I figured I'd include my positive one. I have a Bengal Toyger and he's about 3 years old. I continued the raw diet that the breeder was using along with Blue Buffalo for between meals. My cat has never gotten sick from Blue and every year he goes to the vet he is in perfect health. I haven't fed him the raw chicken in about a year because after researching it seems there isn't a huge benefit and he gets other things he needs besides protein and fat from the raw chicken. Obviously after reading all these posts I have become a little worried and will now do some more research.

I wish people in here claiming there are lawsuits and that Blue is lying about what's in the food would post links to prove this. Too many people hear things through the grape vine and just assume them to be true. My cat is in prefect health and has never had any issues caused by Blue's food. His coat is amazing, his teeth are great and no emotional or energy problems at all.

Original review: June 13, 2015

We have 3 dogs and while on BB at least one of them would vomit after eating. I want to rely on a company's honesty. Also, Purina has always tested on animals and has no right pointing the finger at another pet food company... The jury is out for us.

Original review: June 12, 2015

I have a 4 year old miniature poodle. I feed him Purina Beneful with no problems since he was a puppy, last year I started to notice that he would vomit and have diarrhea often. We feed him table food so I thought that was the problem and stopped, but the symptoms continued. After doing some research I found out that we were pretty much feeding him the McDonald’s (junk food) version of dog food. I switched him to Blue Buffalo Grain Free and noticed a difference in his coat and also noticed how excited he was when it was feeding time. I was told to put him on the Grain Free brand to avoid allergies and stomach issues. The only complaint I have is the price, it was a pretty big price jump from Purina but worth it.

Original review: June 11, 2015

Blue buffalo small breed chicken recipe for dogs - I have been feeding this to my pup for three years, thinking I was giving her what she needs, according to your ads. This is not a cheap dog food by any means, but I thought it was worth it to get real chicken, no chicken by products. You owe me an apology and a LOT of money!

Original review: June 10, 2015

I purchased Blue from a local retailer and was told by the salesperson that is was a good quality food. Trusting him I purchased a small bag to try. We have a 5 month old brown lab who is a little picky with her food. Tried the Blue on Saturday night. She seemed to like it, so Sunday morning tried it again. She didn't eat it as well. By Sunday night she had diarrhea. Monday the diarrhea continued and by Monday night she was vomiting. Tuesday morning we took her to the vet and was given an x ray and blood work. All came back negative. When the doctor heard I fed her Blue, he was sure that was her problem. It cost us $400 for the tests, meds and special food. I think she is finally on the mends. Since I have heard other horror stories regarding Blue. Buyers please beware.

Original review: June 9, 2015

My cats needed some food that had less by products. I chose BB Healthy living. What a mistake. All 3 of my precious kitties are now so sick. They are all vomiting the food up, undigested and have such severe diarrhea 2 of them are bleeding from their bottoms. My vet has told me it is due to the food. They have been on this food for less than a month and this is the result. I was better off feeding them Friskies or Whiskas. I will never use any BB products again.

Original review: June 8, 2015

I have been feeding my 5-year-old mixed breed dog Blue Buffalo food for over two years. In April, 2015 I purchased a bag of BB Grain and Glucose free Chicken Flavor from Pet Smart store. Within one week my dog started vomiting and became lethargic. The most outstanding problem, however, is the extreme amount of shedding. This is not seasonal shedding. This is a mountain of fur that I have collected while brushing her. NOT NORMAL.

Resolution response: Aug. 2, 2017

This company did not even have the professionalism to admit that their product is sub-standard. In a brief message left on my voicemail, the excuse they left was so lame it was if I did something wrong. Thumbs down to them and the garbage they sell. Thank GOD I switched to Wellness Brand. He is absolutely great with Wellness and so am I.

Original review: June 7, 2015

I purchased Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe for my male pet. I measured 1/8 cup on the first day. Shortly afterward, my pet moved his bowels approximately 5 times, all lose and yellow. I thought at first, it was removing any sludge or simply detoxing his system. Then he moved his bowels as he slowly walked up the stairs. My pet has never moved his bowels just anywhere. He is a trained pet and always goes on his pads. I thought, ok... tomorrow I'll feed him some boiled chicken with carrots and rice like I always do. He was fine.

I decided to feed him once again the Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe. Within an hour he was vomiting what looked like yellow Blue Buffalo. It looked as if it expanded and was not digested. It actually looked like the food swelled up. I immediately cleaned it and by the time I got back to give him fresh water, he vomited again!!! Even more than the first time. This was twice in 10 minutes. My pet has never vomited ever before that's what had me so concerned.

His behavior was odd, slow and simply not right. I know it's Blue Buffalo. I have never seen this before. He is a healthy, happy playful Chi and I think this Blue Buffalo is some type of toxic formula. I have called the company and the store where it was purchased and I am anxiously awaiting to hear back from them. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BRAND. When in doubt, simply make your own food for your little family member. This is a disaster of a Brand. Not sure what is in there, but I am so upset that I fed him this garbage!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information