2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.04/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

I recently switched my bulldog to Blue Buffalo wilderness. He did fine with the first bag. The bag I bought 9-13-15 made him sick immediately. He only has antlers and dried liver treats besides his food so we removed these items for a week. His stool continued to get more and more liquid with a lot of mucus. He had extremely noxious gas. After looking online for other people with this problem we discovered people were having this same problem with their dogs that were on Blue Buffalo food. I returned the food to PetSmart. They refunded my money and said Blue Buffalo has not contacted their retailers about any problems even though a lot of people are having issues. Contact Blue Buffalo if you are having these issues they need to know.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

I switched to Blue Buffalo cat food thinking I was providing a 'healthier alternative' for my 'indoor' 4-year old cat. Soon after, on a Sunday afternoon, he started crying out in what could only be described as 'pain'. No option but to take him to the Emergency Center (very expensive - $700 for just one night). After testing, I was told that he was a very sick little boy and may not make it through the night. I was in shock to say the least. Results showed a bladder blockage and required catheterization. I transferred him to my Vet the next morning and you could see crystals and blood in his urine. My vet asked about recent changes and I indicated the only thing I could think of was changing his food to BB about 6 weeks ago. He indicated he has seen this before and seems to be a recurring problem for male cats on BB food. With great care by my vet, my kitty improved and was able to come home after 5 days (total vet bills at $1500).

However, apparently once this problem occurs, cats are susceptible to reoccurrence. Therefore, he must now be on prescription food for the rest of his life, which is very expensive! All because I trusted BB who touts their food to be the healthiest and best! I have filed a claim with BB, who indicated the review would take 8-12 weeks by their vet and then their legal dept. I am now at 14 weeks with no decision or correspondence. I'm beginning to think that whole process is a scam as well. I have told all my friends never to buy BB food for any pet! I am so angry that a business such as this is allowed to continue selling their products with absolutely no 'warning label' that this could occur. At least then, we are informed of potential problems before we feed to our beloved pets.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

I have been feeding my husky puppy Blue Buffalo wilderness for 12 weeks. The bag we bought on August 26 has made her very sick. She's been vomiting, farting a lot and stool has been very watery. I really loved this food before this but even the food alone this time has a weird stench to it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

I am so glad I found this site. I started to very slowly transition my cat over to Blue Buffalo because I thought it would be superior to the Hill's Science diet based on the ingredients list. However, at the first introduction of the Blue Buffalo dry cat food mixed with his regular (1:4 ratio) he started to have diarrhea (on the floor, which is totally abnormal) with blood clots in it. I was concerned it was his old food, since I thought this one would be so much better, and almost switched him over to just Blue Buffalo but am so glad I found this page. So many complaints are exactly how my cat is reacting. Thank you everyone for sharing.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

I have a Yorkie and have been on the same Blue Buffalo dog food since I got him. Recently in August I bought a bag and he kept getting sick. Took him to the vet's office and they couldn't find anything wrong. Then in the beginning of September he would not stop throwing up. I was at the ER with him all night till 4 a.m. They took X-rays and all. $600 later he has been on just a chicken and rice diet, and has been great! DO NOT BUY THE BLUE BUFFALO DOG FOOD!!! There needs to be a recall called on it or something. It just makes your dogs sick!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

Batch marked best used by Aug 05 16 L 2 3 2 20:22. I have fed my Chihuahua/Pomeranian 6 lb mix Blue Buffalo small breed Freedom grain free for several years. I also give her Freshpet at dinner time, mostly as a treat. The end of July the pet store was out & so was I, so I bought Wilderness. In a few days time she had a very noisy intestine. A few days later she started with diarrhea and mucus then bloody stool. Very liquid blood. There were a few more normal stools, then blood again.

I stopped her food & bought replacements in the morning. I fed the Freshpet to my cat & he had no problem. As soon as I switched her the symptoms ceased & she has not had any additional problems. This site is the first site I found with these complaints so I am adding our experience. I have also decided to call Blue Buffalo customer service, and I will also report to Pet Supermarket where I purchased it. I did "mention" it at checkout when I replaced it, but I will be more official. Good health with your pets.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

HE been using this food brand for 2 years now but the past two bags have made our dogs very sick. Our black lab grew lunch psychological on his chest area and throws up a lot and has the poops. Our other dog has rashes and throws up from it. Very upset and sent an email to blue buffalo corporate and am waiting to hear back. Do not buy this dog food.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

I got a French Bulldog puppy that was extremely healthy when I got her, and was doing fine while I fed her the food that came with her from the breeder. I then switched her and my other Frenchie to BB, thinking I was getting them the best I could while overseas. As soon as I switched her, she started having bloody stools and diarrhea. I took her to the vet and they put her on some medicine and a bland diet to make her feel better, and as soon I started feeding her BB again she got crystals in her urine and a UTI. My other dog also started puking and having diarrhea. There is something wrong with the food, and unfortunately it have taken me 100s of dollars in vet bills and numerous bags of this ridiculously expensive dog food to figure that out. I am extremely disappointed in this company and this issue needs to be addressed, as I know there are many other consumers with the same problems.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

I bought a bag of Blue Buffalo basics with limited ingredients, primarily proteins and a sweet potato blend for my cocker spaniel who is a bit hypoallergenic. The sales rep at one of these Wal-Mart style pet stores was trying to sell me on the purchase hard. I bought the bag thinking this would be appropriate for my dog, know I must be conscious about what I'm giving him. THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE! THIS FOOD IS GARBAGE AND NEEDS TO BE RECALLED. My poor dog has suffered tremendously.

After feeding him about one quarter of the bag his ears started getting bad. Smelly and waxy more frequently which is a huge sign the food is bad. But I thought it can't be the food, not the food which has been promoted as a healthy choice in dog food. So I continued through another quarter of the bag and everything has gotten worse. His ears are so bad he needs to go to the vet. His eyes are all gunky, bumps on his back, lays around and you can smell him now.

As a cocker spaniel owner I am always looking out for what my dog eats. No table food whatsoever and high end dog food. This food is bad. They sell it like it's AMAZING GRADE A DOG FOOD. I WOULDN'T FEED IT TO MY PIGS. I would throw this garbage away but I am going to hold on to this and wait to see if there is a class action lawsuit as there should be. My poor dog has suffered and his vet bills should be covered by this greedy company. Sorry just pissed. Do NOT buy this food.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

Purchased this brand for my 15-week old mastiff. Within days of weaning him fully into it, he became lethargic, with a major case of running poop. All he wanted to do was cry to go outside and sleep. He wouldn't touch his bowl of food when I fixed it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

We began feeding our 5 month old and 5 year old Golden Retrievers Blue Buffalo at the end of February 2015 because of the great reviews. Although it was more expensive than other brands, we felt that wasn't an issue because we wanted what was best for our dogs. They both started and continued grazing on grass. We never blinked that it had anything to do with their food. We always felt the puppy wasn't gaining as he should have, especially when we were feeding him 4 cups a day.

The first of August he became extremely skinny to the point he appeared anorexic and started losing his beautiful outer coat on his back. Our first trip to the vet for his first test was thought to be pancreatic insufficiency. He has been on Prednisone and Viokase for the pancreas since 8/10. Since that time we have been through an ultrasound, fecal test, and TLI test which all turned up negative. We still had no answers as we were watching our pup literally starving to death.

Friday 9/4, our oldest wanted out desperately after eating and started chomping on grass. Frustrated, I Googled what was supposed to be this amazing dog food and discovered that it wasn't so amazing anymore. We switched both the following day to Taste of the Wild and by the following Wednesday he had gained 4 lbs in the 6 days since he'd been weighed for the last 3 tests. I was in shock. We were at the point that we were preparing to put a 10 month old puppy to sleep. We will not be using this food ever again and will always periodically Google reviews on any food we are feeding our fur babies.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

My yorkie, whom has been healthy his entire life, lost his teeth about 4 years ago. I was using Iams and grinding up his food so he could eat. Had no issues for years. Took him to vet for follow-up and had bloodwork done. Everything was fine. He had an issue every so often with his stool. Nothing serious. Anyways doctor said change his food to soft canned dog food. I never read any reviews on blue, I wished I did. Anyways he was on it for 1 month. He would vomit and have runs but I thought it was nothing cause I changed his food.

Well after second week he started becoming despondent and just laid around, I then looked up about this product and took him off. He has lost half his weight last week, took him to vet, now he has kidney failure. Again bloodwork was fine prior to this dog food. I would not recommend anyone use this food and I intend to do a full research on what's in this crap. No way this was just a coincidence, dog can't even walk right now and he was running weeks ago. Something is in this dog food that is not right. If you have your pet on this please change immediately. I never write reviews but I'm positive that there is a problem with this food.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

I had switched my cat from Purina Naturals to Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free about 6 months ago. She loved it and we had no problems. One day, she was out of food and the local pet store didn't have her kind in stock. The pet store worker suggested that I could buy a different protein in Blue Buffalo and it wouldn't bother her stomach. So, I got Wilderness. Not even 24 hours after she started eating it, she began having Seizures! A 3 year old healthy cat having Seizures ever 4 or so hours. I rushed her to the vet and all of her blood work came up clean other than she was a little dehydrated. They flushed her system with IVS for 24 hours and now the seizures have stopped. I have stopped feeding her BB all together and she is fine now. Blue Buffalo POISONED my cat and put me in debt!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

My dog got Pancreatitis 1 yr ago so I searched for a good food low in fat. So I settled on Blue Buffalo healthy weight. My dog didn't like the little antioxidant bits but eventually he ate them. On 1 cup a day he would poop 5 times. Why so much poop? Is it really all filler? But he liked it and ate it. Last month I bought a large bag and there were no antioxidant bits. I wondered why. I took it back and the store said their food is no longer up to snuff. She said she got a bag last week with all bits and no food. I won't buy it again. She also told me it's no longer a family business and they sold it to investors and that's why it's gone downhill. I put him on Performatrin and he'd now pooping normally. Blue Buffalo is questionable.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

Dog no. 1: all of a sudden he started with eye boogers, which he previously never had. Went searching to find same reaction from BB. Took him off BB, and boogers have slowly subsided. Dog no. 2: vomited this a.m. Refused to eat. Is lethargic. I am calling the vet -- but in the meantime I hope the BBBs (Blue Buffalo **) rot in hell.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

We have been feeding our dog Blue Buffalo for the longest. The last bag of dry food and canned food was purchased in August. From here our dog fell ill where he would not digest the food and have mucus diarrhea. We took him to the vet and they found nothing wrong and recommended a bland diet and reintroduce the food. We did so and as soon as he ate Blue Buffalo the symptoms came back within 24 hours where he would throw up followed by mucus diarrhea. We noticed it may be the food and switched to another brand and he is perfectly well. Not sure if there was a tainted batch but I will not feed him Blue Buffalo again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

My Dogs have been eating the Blue Buffalo for over a year with no problems, and the last purchase made in Sept of 2015 has made our Cavalier and mini Schnauzer terribly ill. I couldn't believe all the reports on here when I googled to see if there was a recall, so many people said their pets had the same exact reactions to the food, even though it had been used previously with no issues.

Our Schnauzer was worse, but both were vomiting after eating the food. The Cavalier was moaning. There were no other variables in their diet. The Schnauzer would walk over, smell the food, and just walk away after the first couple times of vomiting. We thought at first they got into something but after a week it was obvious it was the food. After he stopped eating it himself, and I gave him other things he was fine. We went back to the food and it started all over again. After a week of not eating (other than grass which the vet said they will do if their tummies are upset) they both gobbled up some ground chicken I made them just to see if they would eat. I can't believe with all the problems this product is still on the market!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

Very expensive dog food, we had been buying for several months with no problems. But this time when we opened it, it was infested with bugs! The store we bought it from, we really super sensitive to this, had several other complaints they said and were pulling it all from their shelves. No problems at all with the store, they handled it very gracefully. I had no idea how many complaints were happening about BB until I checked this site. Something is very wrong. I also hate to be one who doesn't rate until something bad happens! But here I am.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

I called up customer service regarding all the cases of dogs getting sick from eating their recent batch of food from June-Aug. They said there is no investigation going on for that, unless pet owners bring it to their attention. Therefore, there is no recall for the dog or cat food. Owners, if your pet is getting sick, you need to report it to their customer service.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2015

We've used Blue Buffalo Dog food for several years now. This last bag literally smells like something died. She eats it but then lays around all day. She has huge lumps growing on her. I have been reading these reviews and am realizing she has MANY of the same symptoms/experience. Our dog has had a really different, bad smell for a couple of months. Tonight we realized she smells like the dog food! We will be switching before breakfast tomorrow. I've emailed Blue Buffalo, but I have a feeling I won't hear anything from them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2015

We have been feeding our Great Dane Blue Buffalo since she was a puppy. I absolutely loved this dog food and would always champion it. Unfortunately this last bag we purchased made my dog terribly ill. My Dane is not allowed outside except on leash so we know it was not an outside factor. She is also carefully watched inside the house so she did not ingest anything she was not supposed to.

We purchased this bag of food on August 26th and a day later she had awful diarrhea. We immediately began the hamburger and rice to stop it and gradually mix in her food. As soon as I reintroduced her food to the hamburger and rice she started all over again with the diarrhea. One night we were up every two hours because she would cry in pain to be let out. Her stool was liquid and full of mucus. I then realized the only factor here was the Blue Buffalo. I put her on a hamburger and rice diet with Natural Balance Duck and Sweet Potato mixed in along with a probiotic. She is doing fine now. I returned the bag of Blue to the store and I only wish I had kept a sample of it to send it out for analysis. I will never feed my animals this food again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2015

We have three dogs. 15-year old Pomeranian "Rickie", 8-year old Pomeranian "Noah", and 10-year old Springer Spaniel "Angel." On June 25th we purchased our first bag of Blue Buffalo small bites for seniors at Pet Valu in Trenton, Ontario. We felt we had made a good choice. Our oldest eats only a few kibbles and Angel was only eating half rations as she was weaning from the previous food. The symptoms were slighter in them but Noah suffered the worse. Starting in mid-July and continuing until last weekend - August 29/15 - Noah was constantly scratching to the point where he had rashes on his groin area, running eyes and squinting when outside, rash in his ears, rash on his muzzle, red skin between his toes, diarrhea, restlessness and lethargy.

We were constantly using eye drops and eardrops. Noah's vet had him on Benadryl twice a day for well over a month. We used calamine lotion to ease his scratching. Last Friday night (August 28th) we were at our wits end for an answer. His constant scratching was painful to watch. I googled Blue Buffalo to see if there could be some connection between his symptoms and the new food.

As I read the reviews I was in tears... so many of the same symptoms that others had posted were affecting Noah. We immediately took all three dogs off this food and put them on homemade rice & chicken. On Saturday (August 29th) we went to Pet Valu and reviewed our situation. The clerk put in a call to head office which was to have called us back personally within 48 hours. That call did not come.

On Monday (August 31) we took Noah to his vet. She put him on prednisone for 10 days and continuing with the Benadryl every 8 hours. By Monday night he was having explosive diarrhea and by Wednesday he had blood in the stools. On Thursday she put him on antibiotics for 10 days. Today is the first day in weeks that Noah has seemed like himself. I am grateful for those who posted previously - if it hadn't been for them I would still not know what was going on.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

I got a Maltese puppy 10 days ago and started feeding her the Blue Buffalo brand puppy food (dry) and she became very sick and I just feed her milk, she got better again. I started feeding her the Blue Buffalo again, and she became very sick again (vomiting and bloody stools). Took her to the vet, he thought she had parvo and tested her for it, (test showed negative). Since I have finally got her through this spell and have read all the feedback on this product, I am not using this product again. Lucky for me and my puppy that I saw this before it was too late!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

I changed my 2-yr old Lab mix to Blue Buffalo after the Purina scare several months ago. He ate it well and I also bought BB for a new rescue puppy we adopted. Both dogs seemed to like the food. I am wondering if something has changed with BB however because a couple of weeks ago, both dogs started gagging and throwing up. Also they are both not very interested in their food lately. I don't know if this is related as well but my Lab developed a papilloma in his mouth.

After researching this, I found that this is typically seen in very young puppies or older dogs. Another reason dogs can develop year is due to a weakened immune system and/or poor nutrition. I had the lesion removed at his vet and a few weeks later, many of these papillomas suddenly appeared in his mouth. I changed both dogs' food to 4Health, purchased at my local feed store. I'm hoping to see a difference in their health and praying for the lesions to go away, especially since my research shows that they can sometimes move into the throat of dogs, making it difficult or impossible for them to eat. I am curious to know what has changed with this food. I have spent so much money on it.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

I switched my dog Gunner who is 9 months to Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Chicken & Rice puppy. He used to eat Purina Pro Plan as that was what the vet recommended. We found that the Purina food had been hurting a lot of dogs and Gunner was always getting sick, so we changed it. He's been eating the Blue Buffalo with no issues for about 4 months now. We just got our new puppy, Daisy on August 2nd. She is approximately 5 months (unsure since she is a rescue). She has been fine on the food as well. We normally purchase the 24-pound bag at Petsmart. But on Monday we decided to go to Pet Supplies Plus since it was right by where we were returning movies.

As soon as I opened the bag, I could tell something was different. The bag was different but I figured it was just because it was a bigger quantity so different packaging. The new bag's little pellets that are called "source bits" or something along those lines are lighter and more round. The regular pieces are lighter too and smell a little weird. Gunner didn't even want to eat it. He sniffed it out for a good five minutes. The past two days he won't even eat it right away and walks away from it but will eat eventually as he's hungry enough, he knows he has to. Daisy will eat anything (lol). But they've had diarrhea since that next day after purchasing the new bag. Not just like soft serve. I'm talking yellow and explosive diarrhea. Daisy couldn't even hold it. She went all over the house.

I know it's the food because I stopped feeding treats on Tuesday after the first episode of them both. I withheld food for 12 hours as the vet recommended and fed a bland diet until Wednesday evening then gave a small portion of the BB. Today Daisy had one semi-solid stool which turned to diarrhea at the end and Gunner did not go all day until just an hour ago and it was yellow diarrhea. I just looked at the food closely and in almost all pieces have found hairs that are white and short. In one piece I found what looks like a tiny feather!!! Wtf. I'm very worried and I don't understand why this is happening but I want my money back and I want this looked into.

We've had too many struggles with Gunner before on the Purina and can't afford more vet bills from more food that is terrible. I'm so disappointed and I feel that we can't trust any pet food brands anymore. I wish we could afford to feed the dogs human grade food but unfortunately it is too costly and requires much knowledge on what they need to have in their diet. Pet owners put their trust into Blue Buffalo to take care of their pets and give them the safe and nutritious food they need to be healthy and live for a long time.

I will be looking into other foods for our pups. For $54 I am very upset as that was all we had until next week payday and now I'm stuck feeding this garbage to my dogs and I feel horrible about it. I only hope the horror stories of others on here don't happen to our puppies and I'm scared for them. Something needs to be done about these companies poisoning our animals. Pictures are of the feather looking thing and the bag and just what the food and one of the life source bits.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

I have been feeding my two dogs the same two brands of Blue Buffalo for the past 3 years. The past bag I purchased on 8.23.2015 made my dogs EXTREMELY ILL! They had diarrhea, vomiting, severe dehydration, and even some blood in their stool. I took my dogs immediately off the food and they are 100% better. I notified the PetSmart where I Purchased the food and they refunded me my money. I contacted Blue Buffalo and they gave me the run around and kept sending me the same email with the same questions I answered multiple times. They said they had not had any complaints and then I showed them this site.

I called my local pet store that carries holistic and organic dog foods and they let me know they stopped carrying Blue Buffalo about a month ago when they found out the company was lying about what was in the food and that some of the fillers were coming from CHINA. So please BEWARE of the change and do not feed your dogs this food.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

I have a 10lb chihuahua who is 8 years old. She has been eating Blue Buffalo for about 6 years now, always Small dog chicken and brown rice. About 5 months ago I switched her to the Healthy Weight with no issues. About 1-2 months ago we purchased 2 30lb. bags of it since we have 2 dogs and they enjoy it. A few weeks in she began having urinary issues which seemed like UTI's but the tests would come back negative. She then began peeing the bed when she slept, going to the bathroom outside and immediately having an accident on the carpet when returning inside. We recently had a $200 blood test done to make sure all organs were working the way they should and that came back normal.

I am getting discouraged and do not want to put her on any more medication (she already takes medicine for chronic bronchitis). After seeing all of the complaints and similar issues I have called the vet to switch her food to what they recommend (Science Diet). I am crossing my fingers this works because these issues have all come out of left field but it seems like I am not alone. I am very disappointed Blue Buffalo

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

12 week old Yellow Lab now puking w/ the runs after two days on Blue Buffalo Dry Puppy Food for Large Breed, Chicken & brown rice. Gradually changed from BB Life Protection to large breed and trouble started immediately. Should have trusted my gut with all bad reviews plus issues they are having with misleading public on by-products in their food. STEER CLEAR! Going back to IAMS.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2015

I've fed 2 bags of this cat food to my indoor cat that never goes outside. She all of a sudden started throwing up all day, all night so I took her to the emergency hospital and she was admitted and had elevated blood levels showing a bacteria moving throughout her body. Her stomach was inflamed. She was on an IV and antibiotics. I just brought her home today and am hoping that she will be fine. The vet bill is 813.00 which I plan to contact Blue Buffalo about. Had I not taken her in when I did she would be dead with liver and kidney failure, which we are still not out of the water.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2015

We switched our dog to Blue Wilderness in June, after we bought into the company's "holistic" and "closest to their natural diet" marketing scheme. After one month on the new food, he suddenly had a loss in appetite, was frequently vomiting and became very lethargic. We took him to the vet, where he had to stay overnight on an IV for dehydration. Test results came back and showed that he had developed struvites/crystals in his urinary tract. We put him on a vet prescribed 30-day diet of Hill's S/D mixed with U/D (along with antibiotics) and after a few days, started thriving again. We took him back to the vet after a month and the crystals had dissolved and he was healthy again.

We decided to try the BB Basics line, as the Wilderness is known for high protein levels. After about 3 weeks on the new food - the same thing happened again; vomiting, loss of appetite and he urinated in the house which he's NEVER done. We took him back to the vet for tests and it was discovered the crystals had formed again. Our vet told us to get him off BB immediately. We're now putting him back on a 2-4 week diet of Hill's S/D & C/D urinary care, and then transitioning him to Canidae adult large breed, as he never had issues with this brand. After all of these reviews, I cannot believe BB has not been recalled and is still able to put their expensive product on the shelves. I'm not one to write reviews, but stay away from this product!! Our dog has always been happy and thriving, and this food has been terrible for his health!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information