2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.59/5

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2015

If you're considering giving this food to your pet, please reconsider. I have two dogs, a mutt (45 lbs) and a yellow lab (65 lbs). The yellow lab has an iron stomach, while the mutt has always been a bit delicate. When I purchased this food (Blue FREEDOM Grain-Free Adult) I was expecting high quality since I paid way more than what I'm normally comfortable with. I wanted to give them something special, something healthy that I could feel good about feeding them. The lab ate it with little enthusiasm, and my mutt snubbed it completely. I assumed he was being picky so I waited. He would keep coming back to the food, pick up a piece and carry it several feet away, examine it and eat one or two before giving up.

This went on for almost two days before I noticed he was acting "depressed". He would lay down a lot, and when he walked he would hold his head low, almost never wagging his tail or following me around the house like he normally would. On the second night since starting him on the new food I thought it might do him good to let him sleep on my bed with me, so I went to pick him up and he yelped with pain. I quickly put him down and started examining him. I discovered that he was extremely sensitive around his ribs and belly. I gave him some extra pillows and blankets in the floor and I think we both got very little sleep that night. At first I thought that he may have hurt himself somehow, or that he was just "getting older". Initially I never suspected that my high-cost, high-quality dog food could be the cause. Both dogs had just been to the vet a week earlier for a check-up/physical exam and were both 100% healthy.

My primary suspicion was that he might be constipated since he hadn't pooped much at all in over a day. The next morning he tried to go, but it was hardly anything and he seemed to be straining. His urine also had a very strong odor. I was standing several feet away and could smell it, and it was very dark, even though he was drinking normally. When I took him back inside he went to his bed and didn't get up all day. That's when I started to research his symptoms online, and concluded it must be a change in diet. I found this page and was entirely shocked by what I have read. I immediately took both dogs off the food. By the end of his "poisoning", the mutt had trouble standing up, and would yelp or whine when he tried to stretch or climb on/off the couch. The lab didn't show any sign of pain or illness, but she was eating a lot less and dropped about 5 lbs. I made them chicken and rice and within a day or so they perked up substantially.

The mutt still seemed mopey for a few days, but they're pooping normally and his urine no longer smells. I've had my mutt since the day he was born; he's turning 8 this winter. I would have been furious and devastated if I had been the cause of my best friend's death. After reading several posts here, I'm convinced that if I had waited any longer he wouldn't be alive today. How is this food still on the shelves at PetSmart?

Original review: July 18, 2015

My pets used to enjoy the baked biscuit treats from Blue Buffalo but during the past year quality problems have made them inedible. They are not baked, they are burnt. I have returned packages twice now and am sitting on another 3 that I need to take back. They have all been different lot numbers and the problem is in all three flavors: turkey, duck and salmon. They look burnt, they smell burnt, they are so hard I cannot break them by hand but the true issue is that none of my dogs will eat them and they seem to love all treats. I have also seen quality problems with Yummy Chummies. I spend top dollar for Blue Buffalo products expecting high quality products in return. It is time to find another high end producer, one that still cares about what they sell.

Original review: July 17, 2015

We had our little dog on Blue B puppy formula and things went well. As soon as we switched to the adult, (same recipe, gradual switch) I noticed her stool was loose. I thought it was the one small treat she gets a day so I took her completely off anything but her BB. After reading these reviews today, I wish I would have checked sooner. Back to Eukanuba.

Original review: July 17, 2015

My 7-year old Black Lab has done well on the Adult Lamb and Rice (Blue Buffalo) for years. Recently she began having severe diarrhea. I attributed this to stress from the fireworks on July 4th or as a side effect of warm weather. I was having to take her out every hour to avoid accidents in my home. I kept her from any treats to eliminate that as a potential. I had her on a bland diet to help relieve her tummy. The last few days she has been re-introduced to the food she previously did well on. It seemed her stool was normalizing, however yesterday she once again had gas and diarrhea. This morning was acting out of character (drooling/trying desperately to crawl on my lap) and she vomited up her entire breakfast. I will keep on eye on her if this is not BB related, but the recent reviews from others makes me suspicious.

Original review: July 16, 2015

We have given the Blue Buffalo cat food to the cats for three months in that amount of time; we have notice a slow growing infestation of bugs and bug larvae. I told my roommate to stop buying this stuff but, he would not listen; he kept saying it is probably the package it came in! I have since then bought Purina cat chow and lo and behold no bugs or bug larvae! The vet told us when I spoke to her last that she was told by them that the bugs get in the bags after they are packed, BS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: July 16, 2015

Bought my dog BB Freedom Grain Free Adult Lamb dog food on June 25th, 2015 and 2 days later dog was scratching and itching like she was flea infested but saw no fleas, next day dog was vomiting and would not eat, became very lethargic and withdrawn. Took her to vet after 3 days of not eating, spent $900.00 and vet DID blood work and xrays and came up with nothing. Put dog on bland food diet and would eat very little then vomit that. Then came bloody diarrhea. Took dog to different vet and still waiting for results of the cause of illness. From what I have read it is a 99% chance that this batch of BB dog food is the blame. Will be seeking legal action on this matter...

Original review: July 16, 2015

I've been giving my 2 Border Collie BB LP senior food for several years. They will turn 12 next month. About 6 weeks ago they started vomiting yellowish, milky stuff, on and off between them. I thought maybe the heat or allergies or new environment (we just moved in April). Then Bing started to get diarrhea along with the vomiting. Through process of elimination the vomiting stopped when I started using bottled water. But Bing still has diarrhea. He eats and drinks normally. Runs and plays normal. We're going into the vet for the second time now on Friday. I gave him some "freshpet" with his BB this evening to see if that will help his poop.

But NOW, after reading complaints posted as of yesterday about BB and people's pets getting sick in the last few months, I'm worried to feed both my dogs BB in the morning. My dogs are my world! So to be safe... I will feed both my dogs Freshpet sold at Target and Petsmart for a few weeks then switch them to Wellness or Nitro Ultra. Hell, maybe I'll just keep them on Freshpet but it's very expensive. But if it comes to that, I'll cut back on my food so I know they're getting quality food. Anyway, I'll see what happens on Friday. But mark my word, Blue Buffalo is going in the trash. If they admitted to mislabeling issues what else are they lying about? "Oh what a web we weave when we first practice to deceive."

Original review: July 16, 2015

My Labrador immediately developed diarrhea when I gave him this cleverly marketed Blue Buffalo dog food. I switched to Eukanuba and the diarrhea stopped immediately. After a few days I decided to experiment and I gave him some of the Blue Buffalo from the old bag and within 12 hours max. the diarrhea was back. ** YOU, BLUE BUFFALO!!! They may just be animals to you but to us they are sentient beings that are a part of our families.

Original review: July 15, 2015

Our little chihuahua has been eating BB for a little over a year. Every time we would feed him, he would jump up and down waiting for us to put it in his bowl and then gobble it up real quick. A few weeks ago, this behavior stopped. He would not eat his food and when he did, it took all day or he never finished at all. At first I thought maybe it was something with the bag so we bought another one and he still is not interested in it at all. He never lost his appetite because he still likes his treats and he didn't show any symptoms of being sick until this morning when he threw up. We had already decided to switch his food but now I worry about having to slowing mix his new food with BB. Anyway, we are done with BB and will not buy again.

Original review: July 15, 2015

My husband and I got a 6 month old puppy about a month and a half ago. When he went to get food and the guy at Pet Smart recommended Blue Puppy Food and he's has had diarrhea off and on for a couple weeks. We have ruled out everything but the food. After reading up on this brand of food I'm switching today.

Original review: July 13, 2015

I have 3 dogs and had to buy Blue Buffalo last week as the store where I normally purchase their food was closed over July 4th. I started noticing all three dogs were very lethargic and just not themselves about 3 days after switching to Blue Buffalo. The last 5 days they have been throwing up several times a day and today, the vomit was mixed with blood. On a hunch, I researched Blue Buffalo and was disappointed to see that many other pet owners have experienced similar issues with their pets. I will go back to the original brand I have always purchased but am extremely annoyed that I spent $50 on food that is causing my dogs to be so sick. Why, with all the consumer complaints, is this food still allowed to be sold in stores?

Original review: July 13, 2015

Recently had to switch my dog from BB. Fed him BB for 2 yrs. Over the past 3 months he would eat it and get sick. Lethargic, sleeping and GI pain and diarrhea. Started eating grass and would not go near his food for days. Sent $100's at vet. Started Merrick and problem solved.

Original review: July 13, 2015

My 2 border collies eat the Blue Buffalo food for weight control. So today while at the pet store I saw the Blue Buffalo chews - Beef Tendons and the package said it was long lasting. I spent $24 for something lasting less than 5 mins. Won't do it again. Was there something wrong with the tendons for them to go so quickly?

Original review: July 12, 2015

My 3.5 y.o. Shih Tzu has been on this BB Chicken/Brown Rice Small Bites for almost 2 years. About 1 month ago she began vomiting - sometimes undigested and sometimes just a foamy yellowish liquid. Also she started having severe diarrhea waking me up every hour to go outside. Also noted she was expelling gas with the diarrhea and noted at one point she had tinged of blood in the diarrhea. When these episodes occurred, I took her off the dry food altogether (the only Treats in her world are pieces of her same food) and started with a boiled Chix and rice after resting her gut for a most a day.

This has happened at least 4 times since I purchased the last bag online thru Amazon. I will no longer feed her this food. It's not hard to figure out the problem since she is only sick when feeding from this particular bag of BB dry food. Has BB changed the recipe? Have they outsourced to another company for any ingredients? Does Amazon.com have a separate source for their BB online dogfood orders? Something is wrong and I won't risk my dog's life to try "another bag." Please investigate. July 2015.

Original review: July 12, 2015

Recently, my family adopted a dog. When we brought her home she was on Science Diet and we had no problems. Her bowels were completely normal. We heard about Blue Buffalo and decided to try it. She slowly started having looser stools but we didn't think anything of it. However, one evening, she had diarrhea and she went all over our family room because she couldn't control it (she is completely house broken and we haven't had any problems). This food has been making her so sick and we are immediately switching her food. Also - we talked to the vet and it is NOT recommended or tested before put on the market!!! Extremely angry and upset with BB. Will NEVER recommend.

Original review: July 11, 2015

My cat is a healthy 8 year old male. He has been on various kinds of BB over the past 2 years with no issues. Starting about two weeks ago, he began vomiting and stopped having bowel movements. I took him to the vets and they said his stomach and intestines were swollen and irritated. He was put on a bland diet where he did well and seemed back to normal. I put him back in his regular BB dry food yesterday and he vomited again this morning. I'm very upset with BB - I pay extra money for this food to give my pet a better quality of life and this is what happens?! I'm very concerned reading how many other people are having the same issues or worse ones. Switching foods this morning!

Original review: July 9, 2015

I am also surprised by all the negative reviews on Blue Buffalo. Maybe it's only the folks who are disappointed with the product that write reviews. I have been feeding BB to both my cats (10 and 12 YO) for over a year and they not only love it, they are thriving and healthy. They have never experienced diarrhea or any other negative health issues. I highly recommend this food for your cats.

Original review: July 9, 2015

Switched my dogs to BB from Purina Pro Plan a few years ago. One of them refused to eat from a new bag. Then the three others got sick. They were vomiting, couldn't keep anything down. We had to feed them chicken and rice until they felt better.

We chose BB Wilderness Healthy Weight Chicken recipe because of the grain free content. They did well on it. Until last week (late Jun 2015). The same dog refused his food. When he did eat he vomited. We thought it was the heat. Then my other three started to vomit and won't eat. When my female wouldn't eat, I knew there was a problem. She NEVER refuses food. They are back on chicken, rice and pumpkin until they feel better. We pay a lot of money to ensure our dogs have a good diet. I'm tired of dog food companies putting the health of our animals on the line for a buck. It seems a lot of people are having issues with the same batch. If your animal has gotten sick, report it to the FDA.

Original review: July 8, 2015

We switched to BB about a month ago because our dog didn't seem to like any of the foods we had tried. He loved BB but after about half a bag we started noticing him having trouble pooping. Called the vet who encouraged fluids & moist food so we moistened it and gave him chicken broth and lots of walking. Still couldn't poop. At 3am he started vomiting, was bloated and belching. I called the emergency vet clinic and the first question was what food was he on. I told them BB. They said it was good ingredient wise but very concentrated and that they have seen a lot of dogs with constipation and UTI's that were on it. They recommended changing brands.

After spending day at our local vet's office for x rays & meds and a $200 bill he finally pooped. Our vet recommends Purina for its high ethical standards. We've already started the gradual switch over from BB and we won't be recommending it to anyone. Our dog was miserable and I'm just glad it wasn't more serious!

Original review: July 7, 2015

Have a 2 yr old Yorkie mix, 7 lb. Have been giving him two types of BB food over the last year, switched due to lack of interest in first variety! VERY lethargic! Soft stool, and lost interest in food; actually hard to get him to eat! Never feed him human food. Naively thought BB was a premium food due to advertising. Had to put some type of wet topping on just to get him slightly interested. Switched to Science Diet. Dramatic changes! Awake, LOVES the food dry! NO topping needed (he actually took the BB pieces OUT of the bowl and put on the floor!). Stool normal! So far great results from switching. No intention of going back. Something is not right.

Original review: July 7, 2015

He is 12 years old and has never been sick before. I switched to Blue Buffalo wilderness (salmon) and he started having excessive bloody diarrhea and vomiting within a week. We had to take him to the vet and she kept him for two days. We thought it was the food. Our vet agreed with us after a couple days of treating him. We do not trust this dog food and are very disappointed in what has happened to our dog. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: July 7, 2015

I have noticed for over a year that Blue Wilderness small breed canned food are not being filled properly. I used to be able to feed my Yorkie out of each can - 4 meals and now I'm only getting 3 meals. They are adding extra jell. Some can, like the one in the picture, is the worst. I have written to them and are waiting for correspondence. This is unacceptable, it forces me to have to buy 30 additional cans a year which puts me out over $80.

Original review: July 6, 2015

I have a 5-year-old Miniature Aussie Shepherd who is at the vets now with kidney/urine issues due to this product. I had my dogs on blue basics salmon because my terrier is allergic to chicken. I recently switched them to Duck formula about 6 months ago. In April (now July) I told the vet that her urine smelled funny and that she still eats poop. Then in June, there was blood in the urine. I freaked out! Then came the Xray, showed nothing, Urine test showed slightly elevated levels but doctor said nothing to worry about. Then we go on two weeks of Clavimax or whatever. Was great while on it. Came off, three days later more blood. Now two more weeks. Bill is currently at $950.00 so far.

Then after round two, one blood drop, then peeing every few seconds. Stomach bloated so I gave Pepcid 10MG and then she's ok. Go back to vet, another urine test, now they want sonogram and culture. Another $500.00. So I spoke to a co-worker who I just learned had the same problem. She went through the same crap. New vet told her to switch from Blue Buffalo because of all its problems and give her Royal Canin Urinary SO. Problem gone for a month now. Why didn't my vet tell me this? They sell the Royal food at the vet??? Time to change vets.

I am highly disappointed in this product!!! I am going to also contact Blue Buffalo and make sure they are aware how much pain and money this has caused me!!! Will find out if the Royal is good and after that, I'm switching to Natural Balance limited ingredients formula which I hear is great food. My terrier can't eat the Royal because of the chicken, plus it's very expensive so we'll see. Don't feed your dog Blue!

Original review: July 6, 2015

I thought I'd write a review because I am so surprised by the negative ones about Blue Buffalo on here. I feed both my cats the Blue Buffalo Indoor Health blend and their coats and energy levels both drastically improved from their prior diet of grocery store (Purina) brands. I also feed my 14 year old Brittany Spaniel and 3 year old Catahoula mix the Blue Buffalo Adult Life Protection dog food and again have seen an improvement in their coats and energy level. Absolutely none of the diarrhea or other stomach issues that are otherwise reported on here. I switched my cats & dogs to Blue Buffalo based on a recommendation from my friend who also feeds it to her dog & cat with great results - I am really surprised by the negative reviews!

Original review: July 4, 2015

I changed my dog food because I was told it doesn't have red dye in it. My cocker spaniel started vomiting and having loose stools. I thought it was the weather change. My vet suggested switching her to chicken and rice and she immediately stopped vomiting. I tested the BB again and she threw up again. It's been 4 weeks and she is now losing her hair on her back and has dandruff. Don't buy this food, I am hoping her organs weren't compromised from this junk!

Original review: July 4, 2015

We've been feeding various flavors (duck, turkey, salmon) of Blue Buffalo to our 2 dogs for a year - results have been ok (Oct 2014-May 2015). But for the past 2 weeks (June/July, 2015), the dogs have snubbed their food at feeding time, then eaten it disinterestedly. They've become lethargic, not themselves. Last week, the bloodhound threw up and acted very sick, and we took her to the doc who found nothing wrong with her. Friends with dogs told us they might have Lyme, that it was too hot to eat, etc. but none of this added up - our dogs both always LOVED to eat. Then we went camping, and a pal who also feeds her dog Blue Buffalo complained that her dog was experiencing the same symptoms ours were: Lethargy, behavior change, etc. Her dog knocked over the food bowl at dinner that same night.

We JUST switched food brands and our dogs (a boxer mix and bloodhound) rediscovered their appetites, their energy increased immediately. It's only day 2 with the new food but my intuition tells me that something is very wrong with Blue Buffalo food right now. I thoroughly expect it to be recalled and I hope to heavens our dogs have not been damaged up to this point because of our stupidity in continuing to feed it to them despite their symptoms.

Original review: July 2, 2015

I have an 11 month old pit female. I've been feeding her Blue Buffalo since I got her at 4 months. She's constantly had bad diarrhea on and off since I've had her. We would come home to find her crate covered with diarrhea as well as her after only two hours of being in it. I've tried reducing the amount of food she was getting. The vet said nothing was coming back in her test and her food should not be causing this but she was not sure.

Today I switched over to holistic select. It has probiotics in it and prebiotics along with several other good products and is grain free. Lately she has been very lethargic and not her normal 11 month old self. I'm hoping with the switch to holistic select the diarrhea will stop. If Blue Buffalo has changed their formula they need to alert the public and do something about making peoples dogs sick. This is outrageous. With the price they charge you would think they had a good quality food. But reading all these comments I'm questioning the actual quality. I think it's time they start being held accountable for their actions.

Original review: July 2, 2015

I haven't had one issue with Blue Buffalo. The first bag I bought was for my dog Daisy 8 years ago. She was a high energy dog ACD/Border Collie Mix. Her coat was beautiful and she loved the food. I have a GSD/Malamute mix & a Miniature Pinscher and they both love it every type of Wilderness. I switched my mini pin over to the small breed formula last week and he absolutely loves it. When I adopted him, he was an extremely picky eater. Blue Buffalo is the only food he likes. It's the only food I trust to give my dogs. I stand by this company and their products.

Original review: July 1, 2015

We've been feeding our dogs Blue Buffalo since we got both of them 1.5 years ago. We have had luck with the brand up until 3 days ago. Went out on Sunday and purchased the Wilderness Lamb formula and fed it to my dogs that night. The next morning both dogs were vomiting the food back up. My female GSD vomited about 4 times and quickly recovered. My male Chi however has not gotten any better. He has vomited within 2 days a total of 11 times. He has not moved his bowels at all though due to not eating anything including rice or chicken. I've tried giving him rice and he won't go near it. He won't even take in fluids.

I've been forcing water into him every couple of hours so he stays hydrated. I've also forced some vitamin water to return some electrolytes back into his system due to the massive amounts of vomiting. He went to the vet today and the vet agrees that it sounds like the food made both dogs sick but my GSD recovered faster due to being a larger dog and smaller dogs get hit harder with things like this. My Chi now just lays around lethargic and cries out every once in awhile. It sounds like he is in pain and my guess is his belly his just hurting him. He gets up and finds a spot to hide and cries and then eventually goes and lies back down on his bed.

Originally BB agreed to reimburse the vet bills if it could be proven that it was the food that made him sick but with everything being pushed out of his system, how the hell are we supposed to prove that at this point? Just their way of looking good by offering the help but not wanting to actually go through with it! BB was also recently exposed for lying about what's in their food - although they claim to be all natural and holistic, BB uses by-product! I don't pay $62 for a bag of food for that garbage! We switched their food now and we will never go back to Blue. I'm with another user on here and would love to get in on a class action lawsuit. What a shame on this company for what all of our pets are going through and they aren't doing a damn thing to rectify the situation!

UPDATE ON 07/04/2015: I submitted a review a few days ago going over everything that happened with my 3-year old Chihuahua regarding him becoming very sick after eating Blue Buffalo. Both of my dogs became sick but my little guy did not recover from it. He passed away this morning after only 5 days of eating Blue Buffalo. The company has done NOTHING and because of their food, we lost our dog today. I am angry with this company and my husband and I are going after them for what they did to us. DO NOT FEED YOUR PETS BLUE BUFFALO! THEY LIE ABOUT WHAT'S IN THEIR FOOD AND WHO KNOWS IF IT'S EVEN SOURCED FROM WITHIN THE USA LIKE THEY SAY IT IS!

Original review: June 29, 2015

We have a little Yorkshire Terrier and we started feeding her Blue Buffalo because we thought it was a healthy choice. After purchasing the 2nd bag we noticed she was throwing up and having diarrhea. I was not sure what was wrong, this went on for a week, then I stopped the food and gave her something else. It went away. As soon as I put her back on Blue Buffalo she started throwing up again. I took her off the food and she has been fine ever since. I will never give my dog this food again.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information