2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: April 27, 2020

TLDR; ** Blue Buffalo/Wilderness pet food. DON'T FEED THIS TO YOUR PETS. My cat (Pixel) had two seizures in the past week and a half. He is okay right now but he has a vet appointment tomorrow. So less than a couple of weeks ago I switched Pixel to Blue Wilderness - Grain Free - Chicken cat kibble. The day AFTER he started eating it... he had a seizure. Within a few minutes after his seizure, he became aware and normal again. I called his vet and they said since he is so young it may have consumed something toxic and to monitor him. If he had another one to bring him in for blood work. All was normal and things were looking up until Saturday morning when he had another seizure. I have an appointment for some testing tomorrow.

Since the first incident, I've been wracking my brain on what it could have been. Then I remembered the NEW food. And I pulled up reviews for the cat food today and I am LIVID. Blue Buffalo/Wilderness is KILLING pets. Dogs and cats. I just read a bunch of reviews about heartbreaking stories of people's animals getting horribly ill. This includes the death of people's best fur friends. Blue Buffalo has also gone under some lawsuits but still, this stuff sells?! I dumped all of it in the garbage after reading all of these horrifying reviews this morning. I feel so AWFUL about feeding poison to my poor little guy for a week and a half. This needs to be brought to the light. You can find these horror story reviews all over the internet. Please don't feed this to your fur babies!

Original review: April 27, 2020

Just wondering if anyone else noticed a change in canned cat Denali Dinner when General Foods purchased Blue Buffalo? My senior loved food, then last year threw up food. Of course I tried another can purchased at another store. Same reaction. Tried a third time. Cat sniffed and won't eat. Since it was the only Blue Buffalo that she would eat, just curious if anyone else noticed a change in recipe?

Original review: April 19, 2020

I switched from ProPlan to this brand several years ago because the ingredient list looks really good. I noticed recently that the appearance of the kibble keeps changing and my dogs get sick every time I purchase a new bag. My rotti vomits every time he eats just a little of the food and one of my dogs, who has a cast iron stomach and never gets sick, was also vomiting often after this last purchase. I’m not able to buy this anymore for fear that it’s killing my dogs.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I adopted my pup back in November. Everything was great, until I switched her to Blue Buffalo dog food. She has had non stop diarrhea, mucus and blood in her stool, and vomiting mucus. After talking to a friend who's a vet tech, she told me to do some more research and suggested I switch brands. I am absolutely APPALLED that this food is still being sold. Please heed the warnings of the reviews. And whatever you do, please stay far away from this food. Your dog will be sick and miserable! I ordered some Science Diet as suggested, but it won't be here for a few more days. So I am purchasing a bag in store tomorrow. My dog will not get another meal of this Blue Buffalo garbage.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I have three bags delivered. One bought at store. The three bags delivered created extreme Gastric events for all three of my dogs. The same brand (different lot) I purchased from another store did not have undesirable effects on the three. In my opinion Blue Buffalo's certificate of analysis need to be reviewed and researched. This recipe so to speak is compromised somehow. Pets are family and their nutrition is just as important as humans. Please perform due diligence on certificates of analysis from blue buffalo manufacturing!

Original review: March 25, 2020

I have a beautiful 4 year old Rottweiler. We started Blue Buffalo grain free beef. Many years with this brand. My Hershey ate it with no problem. Just last month we noticed the kibble was different. Smaller in size. Quite different looking. Hershey ate slower and even left some in her bowl which she never does. I contacted the company and they did not admit to any change in the formulation. Sent pictures of the kibble, UPC code and date of purchase as per their request. Meanwhile, my dog having explosive diarrhea. Like a fountain. Very gassy too. Highly unusual. I’m very displeased with the company. Raw diet for my girl now.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

We make homemade food for our Maltese as we have found over the years that many dog foods cause urinary and kidney issues with him. A couple of months ago, we ran out of his homemade food, so gave him the soft canned food (a couple of different flavors) for 3 days and he was having literal EXPLOSIVE diarrhea where he could barely make it to the door. And afterwards he sat there for minutes pushing so hard to try to get more out that he was squealing painfully. About a week after I stopped giving it to him, he was finally back to more normal bowel movements. My sister has also been having issues with it recently affecting her dogs (with both hard and soft/canned foods). I wish I could give a 0 rating as I will never give this food to my pet again or any future pets for that matter. Our pets are family and something needs to be done about this before more families lose their loving pets (the reviews especially most recently are astounding).

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I have been feeding my dogs Blue Buffalo for about 6-8 months. One gets the dry dog food in the dark blue bag. The other cannot chew kibble so she is getting the canned version. Initially it seemed to agree with them but as of late both of my dogs are experiencing vomiting with mucous, diarrhea with mucous that is blood tinged and lethargy. I have spoken to my vet, as there doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with them and happens shortly after they eat. We are changing their food right away to see if this helps.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I rarely go online to review products that I use or have used, but after the experience I had with Blue Buffalo Dog Food, I feel I must share this so other dog lovers can make an informed decision. In short, I say stay away from this dog food. My Cocker Spaniel, Jessie, had been eating this dog food (in a blue bag) for two weeks. He first had problems with defecating all over the house, but we thought it may have been due to a change in his diet. Then just this Sunday, after feeding Jessie Blue Buffalo for breakfast, he started shaking from side to side, then for most of the day, defecating and throwing up the food. He was also lethargic and slow moving all day long (this is an extremely active and fast moving dog, and slow movements is out of character for him). When you touched him, he would shake violently and yelp in pain. Late in the evening, after another round of defecation, Jessie yelped frighteningly, started breathing hard and died that night.

Watching our Jessie suffering this way and then losing him was wrenching for our whole family. It was a horrific death and reading these reviews of other families whose dogs and cats suffered from this food makes us wonder why this food is still on the shelves (and still heavily advertised on TV.) My advice to you if you are reading this and are looking for food for your pet, stay away from anything made by Blue Buffalo. There are other quality dog foods out there. You don't want to put your pet through what our Jessie went through up until his last few minutes on this earth.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I switched my boy to Blue Life Protection dry food and their canned food. About a day after he ate it he started to get diarrhea. It's been about 3 days and he hasn't ate any of it. He has been vomiting and puking. There is a lot of blood in his stool now also. He just lays around and you can tell he is in pain. I don't have money for a vet so I'm praying he pulls thru this... Don't ever buy this brand. I've read many reviews of the exact same thing happening to other dogs from the Blue brand dog food.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information