2.54/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1898 Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 3, 2019

None of my 3 dogs liked it past the first day. Their coats were not as shiny as other brands and their overall health did not improve. Still had issues with runny stools, no matter which formula I offered them of the Blue Buffalo. They were also fined for not disclosing an specific potentially harmful ingredient.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Dogs are obligate carnivores and grain is not a natural food for them. Sure, they can tolerate grain, but the Blue Buffalo I get is mostly beef meal (ground, dried meat). Now, that said, dogs do eat some greens (not grains) along with their meat. So for breakfast, I feed each of mine a can of green beans (which they LOVE!). For dinner they get Blue Buffalo.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I fed this to my chihuahua thinking I was feeding him healthy food, but my dog passed away in January 2019. I know it's from this food. This company should stop selling this food. They need to be shut down. How many animals have to fall ill or pass away to close this company down.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food. Have nine cats that used to love this product. I think they altered their formula because none of our cats will eat it. Even blended with Meow Mix they eat around the Buffalo bits. No idea what happened, but the rejection started in Jan, 2019.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Wanted to give my dogs a healthier food and switched to Blue, big mistake! I started the transition from Purina to Blue and noticed bad gas right away. Then the lethargy after full transition in both dogs! Their bowel movements also changed and soon had changed to diarrhea. I was worried that it was a virus, however my third dog who refused to eat Blue had no symptoms! I knew at that point it had to be the dog food! I threw out the remaining bag and put Purina back in their bowls. Within three days they are all better. Screw Blue! Overrated crap!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: March 27, 2019

Blue Buffalo does not have a consistent desired flavor. My dog will not eat this food from some purchases. It can even smell different, but be the same flavor as the last bag. I have even gotten what I believe was bad food that made my dog sick. I smelled the food well and it smelled worse than normal. I called the company to report it thinking they would want to know. They were rude and dismissive, would not so much as give me a coupon for a few dollars off on a new bag. I also cannot understand why they do not make a size very small kibble. I just stopped buying it... bad food and customer service.

Original review: March 23, 2019

My 11 year old Chihuahua began taking medicine for a heart issue around the middle of 2018. Around the same time, I noticed that he was excessively thirsty, always starving for food, and leaking a small amount of pee occasionally. My initial thought was that the new medicine was just making him more thirsty than usual.

Our next trip to the vet they tested his urine and discovered an infection. I had them do a blood test at that time. When his results came back he had elevated levels of liver and kidney enzymes. They told me that they were concerned that he may have Cushing Disease and recommended an ultrasound be done. We went to a small breed internal medicine specialist who performed the ultrasound. She said that his gallbladder was inflamed, but one side was larger than the other. Also said that his bile duct looked murky. She said that the symptoms were consistent with Cushing’s but told us there is a test designed specifically for that diagnosis. It came back negative for Cushing’s.

As soon as I heard about the dog food recalls, I began researching and reading people’s comments. My dog’s symptoms were just way too similar for me to think it was a coincidence. I called my vet right away and they told me his food was fine. I just couldn’t shake the feeling I had, so I changed his food the very next day. I bought him Orijen and his symptoms immediately disappeared. It was like night and day. He started drinking water normally and not the entire bowl at a time. Don’t trust this food. Luckily I was smart enough to follow my own gut. Rocky is doing great now on Orijen.

Original review: March 20, 2019

It’s pure natural ingredients and that makes me feel safe feeding to my dogs. And the dogs love the snacks. And unlike some treats, these smell almost good enough for me to try (but I’m not!). I recommend buying these for your special furry family members. They deserve the best.

Original review: March 18, 2019

The dog likes it but he likes most other premium food fed to him. Blue Buffalo is unreasonably expensive and I am never clear about where their ingredients come from. In fairness, there are other brands I question. "Made with world class ingredients" on some brands isn't helpful.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I started my 2 cats on Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach which I purchased from Petco... Soon after my boy started to regurgitate right after eating, a raised bowl temporarily solved that problem. Soon he started doing it again! After 2 and a half weeks my girl started getting bad diarrhea, then she started scratching herself... As of now I took away what I thought was good food, she's on probiotics now and still has diarrhea... I cannot believe this food did this to my 2 cats, I have had multiple anxiety attacks as a result of this and a lot of depression. I'm very Upset.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We've tried many different brands of dog treats. When we first adopted our dog we gave him milk bones but he eventually started showing signs of stomach upset so we tried Blue Buffalo, so far he's shown no stomach upset and absolutely loves the flavor.

Original review: March 5, 2019

A woman at the pet store suggested I feed my 3 pound Yorkie pup this food based of the ingredients and how it would be much healthier for him. Within hours of mixing Blue Buffalo with his current food to transition him, I’ve experienced terrible nonstop diarrhea. I will not continue to feed him this after reading so many horrible reviews. He’s already so tiny and falling ill or losing any weight could be life threatening to him. I’m so very concerned and now checking on him every hour. Please don’t feed your pets this food. If I could give it negative stars I would.

Original review: March 5, 2019

A few days ago I purchased a couple of cans of blue Wilderness. Our cat was so healthy and vibrant. We fed her a tin of the blue Wilderness chicken flavor and the day after feeding her this garbage she became violently ill. She threw up white foam and became very weak. Literally in 2 days she was so weak she could hardly move. Last night we brought her to the vet and we had to put her to sleep. We are absolutely devastated. So much so that after seeing these thousands of complaints I think there should be a class action lawsuit against Blue Buffalo. DON'T TOUCH THESE PRODUCTS. You will have your day in court Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I switched my 2 Shih Tzu’s food about 6 weeks ago. My dogs quickly began having bowel movements approx 3 times a day. They all seemed fine, I figured it was a result of a healthier diet. However, those health poops started getting softer and softer and eventually became nothing but mucus and blood. After lots of research, I believe it to be colitis. I’ll be taking them to the vet and changing their food immediately.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

We recently adopted a black lab and started feeding him Blue Wilderness puppy food because almost every site has it listed as a top dog food. A few days later, he is not eating his food, having diarrhea, and very lethargic. We spent the night at an emergency vet hospital after he was having bloody diarrhea. The vet recommended we feed him chicken and rice, then slowly introduce Pedigree dog food. He’s doing so much better now that he is on a different dog food. IF YOUR PUPPY IS HAVING PROBLEMS AND YOU ARE FEEDING HIM THIS FOOD, STOP! This food is going to kill a dog. I can’t believe they can still sell this food.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I changed to Blue Buffalo cat food. I noticed that the cans were not the same. Then my healthy cat got sick overnight and in two days died. The cans were lot 2020914U. The flavor was Chicken Recipe. Now I am scared for my son's dogs because I sent him Blue Buffalo. He said his dogs pant all the time.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We’ve been feeding our dogs Blue Buffalo grain-free dog food for 11 years. In late 2018, Noodles wouldn’t eat one day and was extremely lethargic. A mass, attached to her spleen, was hemorrhaging. We were too late and she passed. Just last week, our other dog, Ollie, started to show the same symptoms. Sure enough, the vet found a mass on her spleen. Luckily we caught it in time before it completely hemorrhaged, and she survived after the removal of the mass. Noodles and Ollie are entirely different breeds - and the only thing they had in common was water and dog food.

I can’t say for sure that it’s the Blue Buffalo - but there are extremely high levels of lead in this food per a CA 2017 lawsuit - and these masses can result. Thousands of dollars later and with unnecessary heartbreak, we will not be feeding our remaining dog Blue Buffalo, and any future animals will not be eating this food. The diagnosis is the same, and I don’t think this is coincidence.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

DANGEROUS PRODUCT! DO NOT BUY! I have visited this site numerous times over the last few years on the complaints associated with Blue Buffalo. I do this to continually stay updated on whether BB has gotten a clue as to how bad their products are or not. Apparently, after all these years of my issue and complaint to them they are clearly still making our beloved pets sick, and many of them die as a result. It's pathetic! And to make matters worse, while I read these reviews today I notice this site is plastered with Blue Buffalo advertising! Shame!

My story: I adopted my beautiful cat Kinnie when he was 6 months old just a few short years ago. At about 1 year of age I decided I wanted to do right by him by buying a good quality cat food instead of my usual Meow Mix. I was impressed by the advertising, and took the bait. I bought the Blue Buffalo cat food. Within about three and a half weeks beloved kitten became very ill.

I made a vet appointment, but they were not sure of the cause of his issues. He was vomiting and he seemed to have low energy and was disinterested in playing. Two days later were back at the vet. He had stopped eating, and there was blood on his feces. They sent us home with prescription food and stool softener. Two days after that we rushed him the emergency vet for more blood in his stool and extreme lethargy and now blood in his vomit. It was there he was diagnosed with renal failure. His creatinine and BUN levels were both so bad they said they were "inconsistent with life."

He spent the next three days in the emergency and at our new vet receiving intensive treatment. I had to learn how to administer IV fluids and eventually subcutaneous fluids when I brought him home. I had to take him in to the vet regularly to keep monitoring his creatinine and BUN levels. I administered subcutaneous fluids faithfully for a year before we could stop giving them. My vet told me now at Kinnie's 2nd year of age that we might get a few years of life with him, but that his kidneys had sustained such damage that his life had been severely shortened. My sweet kitten, now an adult cat, only had a few years left.

Kinnie finally succumbed to death at only 5 years of age. We spent in the neighborhood of $7,000 in vet and emergency costs and medical supplies in order to save his life. Every penny was worth it for my Kinnie, but it was a needless expense brought on by a negligent petfood company. I talked to a representative at Blue Buffalo at the time and told them what happened. They denied having issues or any complaints by consumers. But I found out later that was not true. I even told them I would be willing to send them a sample of the food in case they wanted to test it, but they refused. Deny, deny, deny... Kinnie is gone now, and I miss him terribly. Of all the cats I've owned he was the sweetest, most loving, cuddly, affectionate, playful kitty's I've ever had. I'm furious that they continue to get away with this. They still advertise how great their food is. And they have had lawsuits and recalls, but still they deny.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I recently switched to blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice to improve my dog's diet. Chicken and rice a nice is on the stomach blend I thought! Shedding and smelly breath from cheaper dog food, I wanted to switch. I started mixing new the food with the old food. She is very picky so I was going slow. It took about a week to go straight Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice. Once on straight Chicken and Rice her behavior went crazy! Excessive drinking, excessive wanting to go out to pee and run around in the backyard. Excessive panting, some shaking and up all night peeing. I pulled water dish hoping to stop the excessive peeing at night.

As of this night I am stopping food altogether. We are up very two hours letting her out and she is a dog on crack. Just changed her completely! Some for the good but, now mostly scary behavior. Like sneaking up on me and there she is? Panting, she looks frightened, which makes me feel frightened for her. Bad breath did go away and shedding, the rest a nightmare!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

**DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD FOR YOUR PET!** Since the unexpected and untimely death of my cat this past Wednesday, I have now found 3 other people in my personal life who also lost their pet after switching to Blue Buffalo. They are owned by a Chinese company that has no animal laws or regulations or safeties! They are not even a cruelty-free company and they sell pet food! My sweet Lucy was completely healthy and happy and normal Tuesday morning. I gave her Blue Buffalo starting Sunday evening. I got home Tuesday evening from work around 7-7:30 and she was not well. Was hoping it was just a hairball. She was gone by 10:15 the next morning. She died in pain. She was drooling and had a completely blank look in her eyes. She was no longer Lucy. She was dying right in front of me. She got pancreatitis caused by this horrible food!!!

I am so angry! THAT CAT WAS MY BEST FRIEND!!! SHE WAS TOO YOUNG TO DIE!!! SHE WAS THE SWEETEST, MOST LOVING CAT AND SHE KNEW me and I knew her and she got me through the worst times of my life! And now this horrible company has caused the worst time of my life and she’s not here by my side. She threw up all of the food. Continued throwing up bile. She was gone within 15 hours. This company is disgusting and I will do everything I can to make sure this food never gets sold in this country again! Nobody should have to lose a pet this way!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I bought the Blue Buffalo sensitive stomach for cat as one of my cat has IBS and her stools are soft. It's been 2 days that I am trying to switch from Purina sensitive system to this one gradually. Both of my cats (15 years old both) have severe diarrhea now and I stopped this food immediately. I cannot return it as I did not have the receipt anymore, but hopefully my cat will feel better after stopping feeding this craps. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE - OUR BABIES DO NOT DESERVE TO SUFFER. I feel desperate as the moment you think there is finally a solution to a problem, you invest and understand that it is just a big scam.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We have been feeding our Siberian Husky on Blue Buffalo for several years. This formula has given my poor baby diarrhea almost constantly since we started feeding her this formulation. Switching brands immediately. We should have read the reviews before changing the formulation. It appears a lot of dog parents are getting the same GI issues with their babies. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

So whatever they've changed in the Sensitive Stomach dry cat food formulation (which I have used for years with no issues) has now made 2 of my cats very ill. Allergies, ear infections, rough coat, lethargy, intestinal reactions (vomiting, diarrhea). And judging from the comments on numerous consumer and pet parent message boards, I am not alone. Blue Buffalo and General Mills are a disgrace and that's putting it mildly. Obviously I won't be buying any Blue Buffalo crap anymore and I'll be telling all my friends to avoid them as well. Putting profits over well-being in any situation is abhorrent. It's sad when good companies go bad (Burt's Bees, Garden of Life vitamins, numerous natural and pet food brands, etc) simply by being bought out by huge conglomerates who have little interest in the health of the users of their products. And have no hesitation lying about their ingredients. Watching your animals suffer is heartbreaking.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Our family's 13 year old Chihuahua has been eating Blue Buffalo dog food for at least 10 years. As she got older, we switched her from Life Protection Formula Adult Small Breed to the senior formula of the same line, approximately four years ago. We noticed, within the last handful of years, she had become increasingly lethargic and her attitude had changed. She began snapping and becoming more aloof with us, which was not normal for her at all. We took her to her primary veterinarian of six years, and after diagnostic testing revealing excellent internal health and our testimonials, it was determined she was most likely in pain from arthritis and in the early stages of senility. She was prescribed a daily NSAID.

About a month ago, she seemed to be declining more, and was prescribed a stronger pain medication and a medication to improve her ailing cognitive function. It was recommended that we switch her to a wet food; we chose Freedom Adult Small Breed. Within a week, she had stopped eating, stopped drinking, was not responding, and seemed to be nearing end of life. Again, under the advice of her veterinarian, we took her to the Emergency Veterinarian when she hadn't eaten or drank anything for two days and was moaning in assumed pain.

They did x-rays, blood work, and other tests. She was determined to be absolutely perfectly healthy. Her primary veterinarian and attending veterinarian spoke and determined that her food may have been contributing to her most recent decline. We IMMEDIATELY switched her to a completely different brand of food, and within THREE DAYS she was a brand new dog. Her attitude and cognitive function improved drastically. She was no longer acting like a senile 13 year old dog, but more like when she was 8 or 10. She had renewed interest in playing and greeted us at the door again. All of her medications have been discontinued.

I am absolutely appalled. After this event, and under the advice of our vet, I began looking more in depth into all the problems with this brand. I am disgusted with the testimonials of other families in similar situations, many of which were not as lucky as we are. I almost lost my best friend of 13 years. I will do everything I can to warn anyone of the risks of choosing this brand.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I had my cat on this food for 2 yrs and in that two years his voice changed and he also developed neck lesions on 4 teeth that needed to be pulled. Because of too many pre probiotics in these foods. Cats do not need all this, if they need anything it is a half cap of Culturelle for humans I take it. Any organic cat food is all about money and if it has more than just lactobacillus in it 3-4 or more probiotics then watch out your killing your cat. Intestinal flora is precious in their system if they get too much it destroys the flora causes bacteria up the esophagus and then into the mouth causing neck lesions and teeth to be pulled. I have my cat on a Purina grain free dry and also a grain sensitive stomach both Purina One and I will say my cat is healthier than he's ever been... Owners beware Raw Diets and Blue, Merrick Pure Vita are not good for cats at all.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have always fed my dogs Purina Dog Chow then I switched to Purina One. I have always had healthy dogs with shiny coats and nothing but well vet visits. I recently switched to Blue Buffalo. The dogs loved the first bag, we are now on our second bag and my one dog a min pin is refusing to eat, acting strange and shaking. I tried feeding her chicken and rice and she ate that and actually seemed to bounce back a tad. My bigger dog has been twitching more and has also been avoiding the food over the past few days but ate some tonight, and just threw it all up. After reading the other reviews, I am seeing the same symptoms of drinking more water, acting lethargic, loss of appetite, accidents in the house. I fear my dogs too have been poisoned. I am throwing this crap out first thing, and buying good old Purina One again. Never had issues over the past 15 years, can’t trust this brand again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I can't believe the changes in my cats since switching to Blue Buffalo a year ago. They no longer vomit or sleep all day. They have more energy and beg for the food like a child in a candy store! They are almost 10 years old but act like kittens again! Switching their food was the best decision I ever made! Even our vet has noticed how much healthier our cats are. I get that pink sensitive stomach blend hard food as a between meals tummy filler but feed them the indoor pate and Wilderness pate blends for breakfast and dinner. They even get Blue Buffalo treats! I love my girls and love the changes I've seen in them. #BlueBuffalo4Ever

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I do not want to write everything that has gone on in the past yr - from vets recommending euthanasia for 2 perfectly healthy cats 2 months before Freedom was introduced. The cats refused to eat the second bag. I did not know why. Well - they were suffering inflammation and more and after it was shortly thereafter they began to be diagnosed with one illness after another. Euthanasia recommended many times. I am sure it was the food. Both were 2 healthy cats. Different ages. Eating only FREEDOM for 2 months. The CATS knew it was causing problems and refused to eat it - but would eat others instead. However - it was too late - damage was already brewing inside them. I have given up a yr of my life - can't work - to save their life. As the vets have different advice. I am now going with just hospice. Trying to keep cats out of pain. IBD, pancreatitis, hyperthyroidism. The list goes on... And 2 perfectly healthy cats 2 months before.

1 big bag of Freedom fed for 2 months in Sept Oct 2017 is killing them. It will culminate in their death and it has been going on for yr. We have vet appts every 2 weeks. Cannot spend any more $. I just want my babies pain free for a week and then euthanasia. That is all I ask for now. SO sad to learn it was the cat food. But what else could it be? I guess a coincidence even though inflammation was not present 2 months earlier. It is now attacking all organs. Disgusted that the lawsuit was dismissed. They are killing my babies (my only children).

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Where do I begin... I have two cats that have been eating Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach for 2 years. Since being on Blue, my older cat would vomit a few times a month. Recently, my youngest one lost almost 3 pounds after vomiting and having nonstop diarrhea for on and off since June 2018. We have spent well over $3000.00 on vet bills. During our last vet visit, the ultrasonogram indicated my cat's organs were inflamed (liver, kidney, intestines). We finally decided to switch both cats out to a new brand. Poops are solid/moist, and they both seem to have more energy. My youngest cat, is still recovering the weight she's lost. Avoid this brand at all costs. After doing some research, Blue Buffalo sources their ingredients from China. China, a country with zero animal welfare laws. What a shame. SHAME.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was given a kitten that was about three weeks old to nurse. She was thriving on formula. Thanksgiving day we introduced the kitten pate, she devoured it, for two days and now she quit eating. Black stools, and vomiting. Took her to the vet and without extensive tests, could not figure it out. The vet really did not like Blue foods, said that Blue spends a lot on marketing and not on testing. Now I am force feeding the kitten formula to keep her alive. With prayers and persistence, I hope she can be saved. I personally do not feed my pets Blue, and never will. Someone with a big heart thought that the more expensive food would be better. Sorry baby kitty, we were wrong.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information