2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.57/5

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

I started feeding Dusty BB dry dog food because he had an allergy to the other dog food I was giving him. The scratching went away, all was well or so I thought. Just bought him a new bag of BB small dog wilderness dry dog food and gave him some Friday night the 6/19/16 and again on Saturday night 6/20/2016. He started pooping in the house and had severe vomiting. Took him to the vet Sunday and they said he was dehydrated. They gave him fluids on the 21st and sent him back home. Had to take him back on the 22 and he is currently still at the vet's. They are puzzled. They say he got into something toxic. I have other dogs that don't eat this food and they are fine. It has to be the dog food. He doesn't get anything else to eat. I'm heartbroken. I thought I was doing the best thing for him but I may have done the complete opposite. BB needs to look into these cases. I'm definitely not the only one with similar complaints.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

I had 3 beautiful cats. Max 12, Peter 6, Mia 4. They have never had any health issues and I have always purchased what I thought was the best food for them. About 2 months ago I switched their food to Blue Weight Management. All 3 of them were putting on weight and I wanted to see if this would help. Max and Mia started eating less and Peter seemed to increase how much he consumed (little piggy). I figured that Mia and Max didn't care for the food and switched back to their previous food. They both continued to lose weight and eat even less. I took Max to the vet and discovered his liver levels were way off. The vet ran tests and could not pin down any cause for this. He died a week later. I then took Mia to the vet and she had a seizure and passed in the vet's office. Although I have no proof I believe the food is responsible for my loss.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

Help please. I have been feeding Blue to my dogs thinking it was much better than other food. 10 days ago my English golden retriever had a litter of puppies. Mom ate real good the next morning then she got real upset, freaking out, panting hard, drinking lots of water, moving puppies here and there. I took pups away and put on a heating pad and gave them to mom every 2 hours. I soon realized they were starving, she had milk, but it had no nutrition in it. Also she stopped eating for about 3 days. She is now eating fresh roasted chicken only. I have lost all puppies but 2, and not sure they are going to make it. I have a friend in another state who is having the same issues and feeds the same dog food. We need help please.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2016

Something must have changed with the formula. We have been feeding our toy maltese for years, but just bought a new bag of chicken and rice formula and that night she had stomach issue with throwing up and diarrhea. She has had this before and with toy breeds, stomach issue are common I am told. However, the next day she was constantly wanting to go out to the bathroom, which she was painfully going. Then we noticed a rash. We called the Vet immediately, who diagnosed her with a allergic reaction and most likely to the food. The only thing we fed her was the Blue Buffalo. Reading other report that Blue Buffalo was acquired and perhaps they are cutting corners -- If this is true they should be ashamed. I will no longer buy this product.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2016

I had my cats on Iams for many years. I decided to switch to Blue Buffalo thinking it would be healthier for my cats. Over time my cats started losing weight and then it became too much weight lost. I could feel the spine way too much on my older cat. I always left more food out for them than they would eat but it didn't matter. I started supplementing with canned food to help them gain weight and it still wasn't enough. I have finally switched them back to Iams and they are now starting to put the weight back on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2016

My husband and I are owners of 5 dogs and have been feeding them Blue Buffalo for 10 years, thinking we were giving them a quality dog food. Recently, we noticed one of our 10 yr old dogs starting to eat poop. Not something she has ever done in the past. Then, another 10 yr old dog quit eating her food at all; very unusual because she is our gobbler. This morning, I dished out their kibble and saw live worms of varying sizes. Further investigation of the remaining dog food (which by-the-way, we keep in a sealed plastic bin once the bag is opened) revealed more bugs - some actually stuck half way out of a kibble. Needless to say, we are going to our local pet store to discuss with the owner. He should know what is being sold out of his store and we will be changing dog food brands to see how our clan does with the change.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2016

We always fed our 1 year old Great Dane Purina Pro Plan. One day my daughter bought some Blue Wilderness Wolf Creek Stew. She put 1/2 can with his normal dog food just to give him a little treat. Within 12 hours of eating the food he was vomiting. We thought his stomach was just upset. The next day he did not have any interest in food, was still vomiting and now he was shooting blood out his rectum. We rushed him to the vet who told us we needed to get him to the hospital. At this point he did not want to stand up. By the time we got him to the hospital he was so sick he could not even hold his head up. He ended up having to stay in the hospital for 1 week, hooked up to IV's. The food tore up his stomach and intestines. They asked us at the hospital if he could have gotten into any poison, that's how bad he was. He did not eat or drink anything for 6 days. We finally got him to eat and drink a little.

For the next month all we could feed him was rice, chicken and boiled ground meat. He was also on so many prescriptions. We ended up with vet bills over $7000.00. I filed a claim with Blue Wilderness and they denied our claim saying that I could not prove it was the food that caused this. I said it seemed odd that he was perfectly fine and within 12 hours of eating the Blue Wilderness stew he became ill and within 24 hours almost died. They said that they test all their food and that it is of the best quality, blah, blah, blah.

All they care about is the money, not what their food did to our pet. $7000.00 may not be anything to them but to me $7000.00, the emotional and physical stress it caused my daughter and myself, and the HELL our dog went through is unacceptable. Needless to say the day this happened, I had just had foot surgery and 2 hours after my surgery I was driving our dog to the hospital which was over an hour away. He is doing well these days but I will never feed him anything other than Purina Pro Plan. Blue Wilderness - poison. You be the judge.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

Amy is our papillon and she has been perfectly healthy for the five years we have had her. Both my papillons have always eaten Chicken Soup dog food. My husband and I had talked about switching them to Blue Buffalo because they claim to have such a great product. So on Christmas Eve I got a bag of Blue Buffalo for small adult breeds, lamb and brown rice I think. One papillon refused to eat the small round kibble that looks like peppercorns. Amy wasn't choosy.

Three weeks later Amy is vomiting up the food, lethargic, and can barely breathe. We take her to the vet, who refers us to the pet hospital because she has fluid in and around her lungs. They have to use ultrasound to extract 5 ounces of liquid. They diagnosed her with protein losing enteropathy due to thickening of her intestinal wall. She had very low protein levels. Afterwards, she was put on prescription food and given some meds. I immediately switched my other dog back to Chicken Soup brand. At recheck, her protein levels were fine and she was acting like her old self again.

The doctors can't specify how all this happened. But after five years of being healthy, and then getting sick after only three weeks of eating this food, I have serious suspicions that Blue Buffalo dog food was the cause especially since her symptoms corrected after she stopped eating the food, which is inconsistent with the diagnoses of protein losing enteropathy. I have read reviews on dogs who weren't as lucky as Amy. Over 1000 dollars in vet bills and a 40 dollar bag of food in the trash, and consider myself both lucky and foolish. I should have read up before I ever switched the food.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

My 7-year old Husky has been on BB dog food since she was 6 months old. We started on the BB Life Protection Formula. At that time, I believe BB was a small company with quality sourcing their ingredients. At about age 7 she started having problems with sores on her feet. I switched her to the Wilderness BB, no success. I then tried the BB Basics, still same problem. After switching to a vet prescribed brand - not one issue!

I was a diehard believer in this brand. Most of the dog food brands out there are crap. Many add fillers that are laced with GMO's. As a farmer, I would know.

I was afraid to leave BB. I believe as a larger company they now have poorer quality control and can't control sourcing. Or they are aware of their sourcing and are cutting corners. Many animals have had a bad reaction to this food. Vomiting isn't an allergic reaction. My dog had an allergic reaction. For those owners who had dogs vomiting and convulsing, that's poisoning. Most dog food companies source "scraps" from China, questionable sources, even road kill. It's too bad that Blue Buffalo has went down the poor quality control road. They should be investigated. Obviously the claims of purity aren't true. Sad but true.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

I've spent some time reading these reviews about how Blue has made pets sick. I've been using Blue cat food for 8 years and my cats have had 0 reactions or issues to it. If anything, it's given them more energy than the food I was using before. They're 9 now and still act like kittens. We've also recently switched our 9-month old puppy from Blue puppy food to Blue Wilderness large breed adult food. This is her first week with no mixed in puppy food and she's loving it! No reactions, no diarrhea, tons of energy. With my experiences with the food, I have to believe the negative reactions are more based on allergic reactions to the food or a dog's specific digestive system not being able to process it. I'm 3/3 on healthy Blue animals so you can't blame the food. Dogs have allergies to food just like people do so stop blaming the food.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

I have been buying this food for years. I have purchased the salmon for many pups that was supposed to be grain free. My dog kept getting skin issues on and off. We went to the vet after several thousand dollars later. I changed food to Zignature. My 11 yr old boxer and 12 yr cockapoo have been eating blue for years a different flavor. I have realized their stools are all the time and never had that before. I kept asking Petsmart if something was changing, and they said they heard someone else bought the company and the food was changing. I returned several bags also due to it was so powdery not full bits. I am not finding out my boxer has a tumor and after reading all these reviews I am very upset we never knew this before. My boxer is very ill and close to death after now finding out if was possibly his food that I put a lot of money into feeding my babies. SO UPSET!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2016

I normally buy Blue Buffalo small breed dog food, but I was only able to find Blue Wilderness small breed chicken. I assumed as they were made by the same company, the quality would also be the same. On Saturday January 9th/2016, my shihpoo spent the morning at Petsmart groomers and once home, I fed her the Blue Wilderness food I had also purchased that same morning. She starting shaking uncontrollably a few hours after eating and continued through the night.

By Sunday, she became lethargic and started wheezing. Monday we took her to the Vet and they said her lungs were clear and that it may have been stress related due to grooming (never happened before). We were given Science Diet Calming Food for her to try. By Tuesday, she still had not eaten anything and her condition worsened... her breathing laboured and wheezing... not walking, no eating, drinking or bowel movements. We again made an emergency trip to the Vet. They did a full diagnostic... xray and blood work and could not find anything wrong. They were perplexed.

Wednesday we thought we would lose her as it appeared she was losing her will to live. Thursday she stabilized. Friday a little better and had a small amount of the Science diet food. She made a full recovery a week later. She has been eating only Science Diet since then except yesterday afternoon when (without my knowledge) my children fed her the Blue Wilderness by accident (I did not throw out the bag yet). Last night she started shaking and today she vomited. I am now convinced it is the food. I will be taking it to the vet to have it tested.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2016

I have a 12-year-old rescue who has never had any stomach trouble. I saw ads for Blue Buffalo and decided to try it. On his second feeding of this food he had a terrible reaction to it. I left him for four hours and came home to a terrible mess of poop and vomit all over the floor. He hasn't messed in the house since he was 6 months old and was mortified by it as much as me. I decided to google about it and found way too many incidences of this problem. I will be returning the food which is not cheap and he will never have another morsel of it. He will be getting organic chicken and rice for a few days.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

I've been using the homestyle recipe chicken and homestyle recipe turkey and meatloaf canned dog food. I started noticing higher moisture content and a different smell. The food is real mushy and no longer has the rich meaty smell that it used to have. It smells like a cheaper more processed dog food. Then about a week later, I received an email about the lawsuit against Blue Buffalo for false advertising and labeling. They are settling the lawsuit for $32,000,000. No company would settle for that amount, unless there was wrongdoing. They did admit to guilt. I did call and complain about the food. They said they would investigate, but no one has ever returned my call. I will no longer be a customer of Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

My beloved Dachshund Cooper passed away at age 11 from acute liver failure. I can not verify the cause was his dog food but after researching causes online, the consistency of occurrences relating to Blue Buffalo leaves me numb. Why is this company still making dog food? How many family pets must die before they are held accountable. The only dog food Cooper ate was Blue Buffalo and Blue Wilderness. We thought we were buying quality food for our precious dog.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2016

I feed my older Havanese the honest kitchen, and he loves it, but my new puppy did not like it. I tried BB and within 2 feedings had diarrhea. I read a lot of the same problem online with others. I switched to Wellness and so far so good. The guy at the store did say it's a very rich food lots of protein. I really don't know if that is why, but no more BB for my little one.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

I have been feeding my 10 year old mini schnauzer Nutro wet food in cans and Blue Buffalo Life Protection dry food. She's been throwing up her food intermittently this past month when I give her Blue Buffalo at night. I just bought a new bag of Life Protection and she did not feel well yesterday and threw up the dry food multiple times yesterday. I remember just recently receiving a message about the class action suit against Blue Buffalo and found this site on the Internet. I am returning the bag of food and joining the lawsuit.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2016

I liked the BB brand because of their price and name. They have so many choices for me. I adopted a pug who, we did not know, has a sensitive stomach. I fed her BB Life Protection Formula which gave her bad diarrhea and gas! So I switched her to Natural Balance, but she did not like it. So I switched her to BB Wilderness with Red Meats Formula. She is not as exciting with the food as much as her Hill's I/D food. However, BB Wilderness seem to agree with her stomach. It caused her to be gassy - I can deal with it. I was happy to find the right food for her UNTIL I FOUND other Animal HAIR in the food. I opened the brand new bag last night and found hair!

At first, I thought it was my puppy's hair, but the deeper I go into the bag, the more hair I found. So I looked into each kibble and found few of them having hair sticking out. Those hair are the same hair I found in the bag. I really thought I was tripping but the hair in the kibbles proved to me enough that they are not my dog's hair. Plus it was brand new bag! My puppy was upstairs sleeping, the table was clean, and the contain was just cleaned. P.S. The old bag had tiny blue stuff, but they were tiny so I didn't consider too much. I just carefully took them off. But now I know to never buy Blue Buffalo brand. It was my fault though for didn't do a well researched with this brand.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2016

My cat was not eating well and seemed to have problems with bowel movements and was always vomiting. She was eating Science Diet for mature cats and it didn't seem to help her. Then I saw Blue had one for Digestive problems. I bought it and she loved it. She started eating better and having daily bowel movements and was only vomiting a little when she had a bowel movement. Now she has quit eating her food and seems to not be able to have a bowel movement. I am calling the vet Monday as I just heard someone say they had heard bad things about Blue.

Also my dog has been eating Science Diet and I thought Blue might be better since it is supposed to be grain-free. I bought a small bag of Blue Basic and have mixed some with her Science Diet. She loves the Blue, but her stomach is really bloated and she seems to need to have more bowel movements than usual. I am afraid to give her more after reading all of the complaints.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2016

I have two yorkies and I raised them on Blue Buffalo dog food and they keep getting hot spots. I tried everything and eventually had to take them to my vet for steroid shots and antibiotics every 6 weeks. The hot spots were raw and bleeding and my yorkies would scratch and itch. I took them off Blue Buffalo and their skin has cleared up. I put them on Purina One and they absolutely love it and there are no more issues with their skin. I also took them off Blue Buffalo treats and cookies. I've spent a fortune in vet bills and worried sick for my dogs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2016

I have read many experiences about people who have had a bad and at times tragic results with Blue Buffalo and about the recalls. We have 2 Keeshond, 1 10 years old that we acquired two and half years ago and 1, 4 years we have had since a pup. Both are fed Blue, and we have had no problems whatsoever. The older one is fed the "older adult" version, which I know means nothing, other than it is low in fat and lower in protein, and the other one is fed the Turkey and Potato Basic. Prior to feeding the younger one Blue we feed him Wilderness and he had chronic digestive issue and poor appetite. Once we switched to the Blue he eats well and no digestive issues. There are so many opinions regarding this issue and no comprehensive regulation for pet food that I believe you find what works for your pet and move on.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2016

I use to feed my dogs Blue Buffalo, I only switched because my beagle was gaining a lot of weight on it. The canned food use also made my border collie very sick, she has had other brands such as science diet and royal canin and been just fine. I recently bought the Christmas cinnamon and oatmeal Christmas cookies they had out and both my dogs have become very sick a few hours after ingesting them. They both threw up multiple times. I have since thrown away rest of the bags. I feel blue buffalo isn't as high of quality as they claim. I will continue buying science diet treats and Royal canin food for them, blue buffalo couldn't pay me enough to switch back to them and put my fur babies' Health at risk.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

I adopted my English Bulldog puppy and I only want to give her the very best of everything. So I bought her Blue Wilderness Large Breed puppy food. As a result she had the worst gas I have ever!!! Her stools were soft and her hair was coming out in patches! I blamed it on everything besides the food. I thought maybe allergies??? So I took her to the vet because in the places she was losing hair started blistering up. The vet tells me it could be her dog food to change it. Well, I rolled it off. I thought "I pay good money for this food, it couldn't be that." I adopted another English Bulldog puppy. His stools became soft and he started getting gas as well. Three vets told me to change the food! I finally did, started them on Purina Pro Plan. The gas and loose stools is all gone now! This has been a great lifelong lesson!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

I saw a posting on Yahoo about Blue Buffalo and to my shock and horror, realized that my cat brush with death last year might be because of his food!! Our cat suddenly started losing weight so we thought it was stress from moving or because we switched him from kitten to adult food. I went and bought the Blue Buffalo Wilderness kitten food. After another week, he suddenly collapsed and we rushed him to the emergency vet. They felt he had been poisoned and he was put on emergency IVs, etc. After several days and over a thousand dollars, he recovered. Having no idea, I continued buying the "best" for him and ransacked my house for anything he could have gotten into, but found nothing. He went through another episode a month ago. I am switching foods to see if it stops. I NEVER even considered the food. I really trusted them and am horrified that I might have put him through this. Our puppy seems good, but now I am worried about him too!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

I've watched this string for the past year after putting my dog down and can't believe nothing's been done by BB. The number of people increased by 1,000 since last year and Blue Buffalo won't admit it was their food that caused the problem. Most everyone shares the same story. Vomiting, lethargic, hesitant to eat the food and then diarrhea episodes leading to the dog being put down. Very sad. I work to educate anyone who feeds their dog this toxic garbage.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I do not recommend this dog food to anyone especially pug owners. We thought we would change our pugs' food due to the hype associated with BB. We took our time transitioning both our pugs to this approx. 3 months. About a month after transition, our youngest pug collapsed and had several seizures. We rushed her to the ER, diagnosis pancreatitis after 2 days in and 1300 dollars into it, we had to make the decision to bring her home. We just couldn't afford it. We followed vet's recommendations but she passed later that evening. We immediately switched foods for our other pug but a few days later same thing. My biggest regret buying into what they were selling. Never again. I did contact them about it & they denied it was their food. Miss my stump chumps everyday...

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

We transitioned our 8-week old puppy from Beneful puppy food to BB dog food. The day we finally gave him only Buffalo Blue his eyes became very swollen and itchy. We took him to the vet and she said he was allergic to something and gave us an eye ointment to help. I thought it was the homemade treats we made but then we remembered the food. After reading all of these other horrible reviews and the similarities in many other animals, we are almost positive that this food is the problem. We're happy we took him off of this before something really bad happened. Save an expensive trip to the vet and don't feed your animal Buffalo Blue.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

Our standard poodles have been on BB for quite some time. Every now and then they will get a bad tummy, eat grass, and have diarrhea. I always attributed it to too many snacks or occasional people food. I just used the last of a bag, which I always keep in the house in a plastic container with lid. To my horror there were SEVERAL small "meal worms" crawling around. Ugh! I will NEVER buy this food again. This with their tummies, and reading other reports, have finalized my decision!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I recently switched my dog's food (temporarily) from her tried and true Wellness Simple Canned Food, to Blue Buffalo Basic Canned food. I usually get my dog's food delivered to me through Chewy.com (LOVE!) and the timing on her food was off (my fault) so, I was forced to go to Petsmart to pick up 3 cans of dog food to hold my dog over. They were out of my dog's brand, so I went to the next "best" thing, which is Blue. I used to give her Blue with no problems... until this time.

I bought the food on December 16th, 2015, started feeding her that night, a half can each night until her shipment came in. By December 22, she started to pee BLOOD! I immediately took her to the vet and he did a urinalysis and put her on an antibiotic and probiotic. The blood in her urine went away for two days, but then she stopped eating, got really lethargic and wouldn't even recognize people. The night of the 26th, she started vomiting BLOOD, lots of blood! I rushed her to a 24 hour pet hospital and told them all that was going on, and the first question the vet asked me was, "Has she been around any rat poisoning at all?" The answer was no, but I knew from the first sign of blood in her urine that she was poisoned by something. They did x-rays and blood tests, and she is now on 3 different medications to coat her stomach, stop the vomiting and also the antibiotic from before, along with a chicken and rice diet.

She's showing signs of improvement, and I pray that it continues. Bottom line, if I had given my dog more than 2.5 cans of that dog food, she could have died!!! This is not acceptable by any means, and this needs to be investigated. They need to be pulled off the shelves of all stores, and there needs to be action taken for all that have lost their pets, and those who have had to spend thousands of dollars for treatment and therapy due to their food.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I am so sad to see that nothing is being done. No notice in the PetSmart we shop at, nor at another one, 10 miles away. Not to mention no notice in Petco either. If notices were up on the dog food aisle where BB food is at, I would have never changed our year and half old Cane Corso, nor would we have put our brand new puppy Cane Corso on BB. We were told this is the best food with the best ingredients. It was more than what we usually paid, but our dogs are our family, so switched from our loyal brand who faithfully has been with us for us!

Our puppy became very ill, even though we mixed both foods for approximately 10 to 12 days. She started first getting sores by her private area, the vet did not know why, then the diarrhea started, and it turned to liquid rather quick. Took her back to the vet and all tests showed nothing. Bland diet, and then reintroduced her to BB, right back to diarrhea! Searching the Internet for answers, I found this site!

And look, I mean really LOOK, HOW MANY DOGS, BB is responsible for. And NOTHING, no recall, no posting in the pet stores, who are supposed to care for your dogs as well!?! I will tell ANYONE and EVERYONE about this. PETSMART LOST A CUSTOMER AND SO DID PETCO. Amazon will get my business now... Sad, no one has the courage except Purina or stand up to them! I may just be one customer, and my $120 a month might not seem like a lot, but I will tell everyone, you BB should not be in business...

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information