2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.04/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I've seen a lot of really bad reviews claiming Blue Buffalo food made their animals sick. I find it funny that most of these bad reviews popped up after Purina started a lawsuit against them. I've been feed my cat Blue Buffalo brand food for since I got him at 4 months old. He's now 3 years old, still eating BB Indoor formula and perfectly healthy. I also feed my 7 month old corgi and 1 month old kitten rescue Blue Buffalo puppy and kitten brand food respectively. Neither of them have fallen ill at all either. In fact the kitten is more healthy than when I got her.

BB's wet food is the only kind my older cat will eat (wet food is very important for a cat's diet). He will literally starve before eating any other brand of wet food. In short, I recommend BB brand food to everyone I know with pets and will feed my animals nothing else. My roommates feed their cats a different brand of food and their cats try to eat my cats food before even going near theirs and they eat far more food than mine do (I suspect because the brand they use is less filling). Even when their cats have gotten to my cat's food, they have been fine, not show any adverse symptoms from eating this food that others are claiming.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

My 1 year old Golden Retriever just experienced the exact same symptoms as everyone else. Randomly got the runs, went on a boiled chicken diet and medicine, stomach got better, went back to blue buffalo and I am back at square one. After a $400 vet bill I am incredibly frustrated. Has anyone tried to get compensation from Blue Buffalo?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

My dog has been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness since I got him at 8 weeks old. He has flourished into a healthy, happy, energetic dog with beautiful fur and teeth. I also only buy Blue Buffalo grain free treats and Flash gobbles everything up and doesn't get sick. I would recommend Blue Buffalo Wilderness to anyone. Don't let one obviously biased article sway your weak mind. You can see all the "news" article only cite that one biased article with swear words in it. Clearly fine journalism. I will keep my puppy on Blue Buffalo and switch to the adult bites in a few months when he turns a year old.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

My 7 yr. old Dachshund has been eating Blue Buffalo for 3 years and suddenly began suffering with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea intermittently. Each visit to veterinarian did not yield a cause and he treated her symptoms... Then, after googling this issue, this website came up and I am astounded at all the people and their fur babies that have experienced this same problem. So, I purchased a bag of Science Diet ID until she can get over this misery and will go to another food (or continue with Science Diet). No more Blue Buffalo for my baby!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

My friend Lucy (12 y.o.) has eaten blue for a few years. From time to time she has had a small amount of diarrhea AND none for about 4 months... lasting 2 MAYBE 3 days. So far this week Lucy has been sick 6 days. Lucy hasn't been eating for 4 days. 2 days ago she started passing blood. I took her to the vet. My vet said food poisoning AND gave me a sack of bland food and 2 types of antibiotics... while I got her home she passed so much mucus and blood. I was freaking out. I drove from gainesville back to ocala where she is in the hospital. The vet is administering the meds from their kennel and caring for my friend SO as I was speaking with the tech and telling then her food, I was told to check out the recalls and comments about BLUE BUFFALO. I'll be crazy to ever buy from them again. I purchased this food at pet supermarket 2339 nw 13 st, gainesville fl 32609.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

Two weeks ago, my formerly very healthy, extremely active dog (80-lb Shepherd/Retriever mix) became seriously ill -- he had trouble standing, eyes were glassy, drank ridiculous amounts of water, and quit eating. Took him to the vet, had X-rays and blood tests. X-rays looked ok, but blood tests indicated what looked like advanced liver disease and kidney disease. I told the vet, "Two days ago, he was on a 4-mi run with me! He was fine." She asked about food and I said I feed him Merrick and have never had a problem. (More on that shortly.) She said to start him on a bland diet (chicken & rice) and get him to the emergency vet the next day for an ultrasound. Things didn't look good, though.

There was an issue at the emergency vet & it turned out they couldn't do an ultrasound until two days later. For two days, he just ate chicken. At the Emergency vet, they did the ultrasound (looked good) and re-checked his blood -- his liver function had almost returned to normal! I was given a prescription for a liver protectant and told to keep him on a bland diet for a couple more days. She said he must have eaten something toxic -- maybe a mushroom in the yard.

I could not believe how quickly he returned to normal after being convinced he wouldn't make it through the weekend. He was his usual goofy, rambunctious self. After a week of the bland diet, I started mixing in dry food again. After two days, he started showing the same symptoms -- lethargy, excessive drinking, no appetite, and then he peed in the house. He hasn't done that for nine years! (He's 9 1/2.)

I thought, "I wonder if Merrick had a bad batch. I'll check which flavor and Google it." When I checked the bag, I noticed I'd accidentally purchased a bag of Blue Buffalo. I think it must have been right next to Merrick on the shelf and I didn't notice. This is just too much of a coincidence. Also, I understand that sudden switching of foods can be hard on a dog, but it should cause near liver failure! I understand gas, upset stomach, but my dog almost died. I'm hoping he rebounds as quickly after this second exposure as he did the first time. Something is really wrong with at least some bags of this brand of food.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

We switched from Iams to Blue Buffalo because we thought we would be better off feeding a high quality diet to our 10 week old puppy. He constantly had diarrhea on this food. We did the bland diet and once he was better tried to reintroduce the food and he got sick again. Finally, we switched him off and he hasn't had any issues since. I reached out to customer service to tell them and they were extremely unhelpful stating that based on their feeding chart I was feeding my dog too much and that was causing his issues. I let her know that I was feeding the amount recommended by my vet and that was the end of it. No offer to help or compensate. Luckily, Tractor Supply Co. let me return the opened bag for a full refund.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

My 5 month old female kitten started urinating outside the litter box and frequently. I noticed that it was pink tinged, so I suspected at UTI, so I took her to the vet right away. The vet asked if I was feeding her Blue Buffalo, and I am! I have had her on Blue Buffalo kitten food ever since I got her at 8 weeks of age. The vet said they have seen lots of crystal formations in the urine and UTIs in kittens on Blue Buffalo, which is strange, because these issues are not supposed to happen in a cat so young.

So now after the emergency visit with antibiotics $150, and now doing a renal and bladder sonogram to see if crystals have formed or worse, kidney stones, which will require surgery, I'm out $800 and she may need surgery after that! I think Blue Buffalo should pay for this medical incident, since it was caused by the food. Now she will be on a special kidney diet for life, and I don't know if she can get out of the habit of urinating a little bit at a time, all over. This company should pay its customers for the damage it's caused and then shut down.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

Blue Buffalo small breed puppy. My dog started vomiting and pooping blood relentlessly. We took him to the vet the same day. He had mucus in his rectum and was completely lethargic. He wound up staying overnight for iv fluids, antibiotics, and anti nausea meds. We took him home the next day. He was keeping food and water down. We fed him chicken and rice for two days. He was back to his old self. The next day, we mixed some kibble in with his chicken and rice and he was completely lethargic the next day. He didn't eat for a day and seemed better the day after. We fed him only chicken and rice for a day and mixed kibble in the next day. He's back to throwing up, and being lethargic. It just dawned on me that it could be the dog food. Why aren't they recalling this food?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

Please do not buy this poison for your pets. This dog food has been raved about and unfortunately we did not read reviews before purchasing. Our dog has been sick for days throwing up, diarrhea, dehydrated, peeing a lot, bloated... I can go on and on. Our poor husky is miserable and I feel terrible for giving it to our puppy. Fortunately PetSmart allowed us to return the product for a full refund.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I bought Blue when I picked up my 8 week old puppy. I switched food over right away combining the nutra source (breeder started with that) and Blue for three days then complete Blue after that. At 10 weeks I had my puppy in the vet. Lethargic... Overactive peeing and constant pooping... Excessive thirst... Started peeing in kennel and pooping on the floor which he never did. Constant whining to go outside... Was diagnosed with urinary track infection and colitis. Had blood in stool and mucus. Vet said it was the ph level in the Blue that caused his problems. I thought I was buying the best dog food for my puppy but I was told that most of the puppies that come in with this problem has Blue in common. I lost my Labradoodle two months ago to cancer. I bought this puppy to help it has the grieving process. I swear if I lose my dog there will be a lawsuit. I would like my vet bill paid. I will be calling their customer service tomorrow.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

We added to our family a beautiful 8 week old blue heeler. My husband and I decided to splurge and buy premium puppy food for our fur baby. This was the worst decision I made. She started to vomit and soft stools. On Mother's Day a week after we got her we took her to the ER where she was suffering from an infection. Took her to the vet the next day and they recommended adding pumpkin to her diet. We added the pumpkin. Still loose stools and vomiting. After 2 weeks of this hassle we took her back to the vet and she had elevated levels of renal failure. The vet prescribed a different diet and her levels went down. In July instead of having her on the bland diet the vet prescribed I gave her some of my older dog's food. She is now a happy healthy puppy with lower levels. Buying premium doesn't mean it is good for your fur baby.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

We have a rescue Shepard/Husky mix who has eaten this food for her entire life and not only is extremely healthy and no vet visits but doesn't inhale her food and will graze all day which means she is never starving or under fed. We give her two bowls a day and her dish always has some left between feedings. I really recommend this product for anyone who is interested in giving their animal a special diet without all of the bad fillers they put in animals foods these days!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

My cat ate Blue Buffalo cat food and develop urinary crystals and a severe blockage and had to be put to sleep and I attribute the cause due to the Blue Buffalo food.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

My Pomeranians had diarrhea after switching to the dry Kibble, so I went back to Science Diet. Thinking nothing in particular of it months later I bought canned Wilderness puppy food (Supposedly their "best"). Soon after one of my puppies had a seizure, threw it up, & went hypoglycemic. Thank GOD MY VET IS AMAZING and fit me right in!!! I went back to Royal Canin puppy starter and everything was fine!! A new pet parent adopts one of my babies, feeds her canned Blue Buffalo and later on that day, a seizure and hypoglycemia! All my puppies are robust & healthy & come from strong lines, have been kept up with vaccines & dewormed properly.

THE ONLY THING IN COMMON IS THE CANNED BLUE BUFFALO FOOD!!!??? Royal Canin & Science Diet & Wellness TruFold have consistently been great foods and will ALWAYS receive my recommendations and my money. I work for a pet store and will see to it that every bag gets dusty??? If I lose a puppy because of toxins in your food you will be SUED!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

Purchased new bag of Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult dog food. I clean out my Yorkshire Terrier's bowl every morning before feeding. Opened new bag and put the normal two each of 1/4 cups of food in her bowl. She will only eat while I watch her. Luckily, this one time she is this spoiled. As I was watching her I glanced down and saw a piece of glass in her food. I immediately contacted Blue Buffalo with the info. He offered to send me treats for my dog for the problems. I refused because I am very particular as to what I feed my girl. They wanted me to send them the glass. I again refused this request but sent pictures of the glass. I have heard nothing from the company and now realize it all has to do about revenue and not about the health of all animals nationwide. After reading some of the reviews listed on this report I feel as though a class action lawsuit is in order. These animals are our family and not something for this company to experiment with.

I, for one will not stand back and allow Blue Buffalo to kill my dog by not being concerned about glass being in their food. My dog has also experienced the issues of vomiting, loose stools and mucus in stools. I have also been told she has pancreatic issues. People, are we going to waste our time on here griping about our animals dying or do something about this cut rate expensive dog food company. I for one am taking action. They will NOT kill my dog. If you would like to join a class action suit, contact me at: **. They will not stop until we, the people stop them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

We got our 2 chihuahuas 5 months ago (they are almost 7 months) and they had lived for the first 2 months on Royal Canin, but we thought we knew better when they came to live with us. We switched to BB chicken and rice life protection small breed puppy a few days after we brought the first one home. She loved it, ate it happily and we noticed her urine was bright yellow and her stools had mucous but still hard. When we brought the boy home, he loved it too, ate it with vigor. It wasn't until we took them to get groomed that we heard about the past recalls. We switched them after more research but they didn't like the food we put them on so back to BB as that was better than nothing because they refused to eat.

A few weeks ago our girl started dry heaving, liquid poop with mucous, and she wasn't our vivacious girl. We took her to the vet and he thought it was pancreatitis or an infection. She had to stay overnight to get iv liquids, came home with Anti-nausea meds, antibiotics, heartburn medication and was told to either feed her vet wet food or plain boiled chicken and rice with the probiotics sprinkled in. We believed it was an infection until we switched both to the wet and dry vet food. Normally we would transition but we took them off BB immediately. Not only is our girl vivacious again, their urine is a nice pale yellow, and our boy's poop's been solid. They haven't played this hard since they fought for dominance.

Please get your fur babies off this food before they get sick or worse die. We talked to a rep of another dog food company and they told us that yes BB has chicken as the first ingredient but they usually use wet chicken which weighs more. Blue Buffalo was also sued awhile back for not using the ingredients they promised. We thought we were giving our babies the best and we almost killed them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Bought this food thinking it would improve my puppy's coat and because I bought into the hype... but my healthy puppy began throwing up and had diarrhea. Took her to the vet, then the ER... and 700 later, it was antibiotics, a water pack under the skin, probiotics and anti-nausea meds, boiled chicken, and white rice for 7 days. Then back to the same dog food and now she's vomiting again. Vet says discontinue food immediately. Never buying this again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken is the only dog food brand that we have used for our dogs (2 mini Australian Shepherds aged 2 and 3). They both seem to have reoccurring loose stools and diarrhea. The 3 year old seems to suffer from these more frequently and has also been experiencing constipation issues as of late of which I am very concerned. We have tried abstaining them from the natural biscuit treats we use (different brand) but the above mentioned problems have persisted. I can only assume that it is the food that is the problem.

I cannot pinpoint what the exact problem with Blue Buffalo would be - potential problems could be: overseas suppliers, contamination, mold, quality of ingredients etc. Additionally, I have read similar reviews from users of the Blue Buffalo brand and their dogs have also experienced diarrhea, vomiting, and other negative symptoms, including death. This is too scary of a risk for me to take with my dogs which I value above everything else.

With that being said, I am seeking to discontinue use of this product immediately. Furthermore, about 1 year ago our 3 year old had experienced blood in loose stool. Our veterinarian prescribed a probiotic along with an antibiotic; thankfully, the issue cleared up in regards to the blood anyway. I chalked this up to him having a "sensitive stomach" or IBS. But after further research, I am almost certain that he does not even have a “sensitive stomach.” It is the Blue Buffalo food we are feeding him that is causing all of these problems.

This food should be taken off the market immediately. It has been sensationalized so heavily in the media and other places that people fell into the trap of believing it to be the best dog food on the market which it is most certainly not, I am disgusted that I happened to be one of the people fooled. DO NOT feed your pets this brand of food/treats/anything they produce. While your dog may initially seem to thrive on the food - each new batch is different and carries a risk of causing serious health problems.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I have 2 dogs – a 6 year old German Shepherd / Border Collie mix (Sadie), and a 4 month old Goldendoodle (Sydney). Both LOVE their Blue Buffalo! Sadie was a rescue at 2 years old, and has flourished with BB Wilderness Salmon or Duck. Her coat is soft and shiny, beautiful teeth, and no internal issues at all. Syd kept trying to eat her food all the time so we ended up switching her to BB Wilderness puppy food – and she loves it :) Just remember – different dogs have reactions to different foods. Tried my oldest on Natural Balance, Orijin, etc, and she had issues, even though it is a high quality food. You might have to try a few different foods to get the right one for your furbaby. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

I started feeding my Schnauzer Blue brand food after he tired of the other brands. Within a few weeks, he beard started to turn really dark as well as his paws. Now after about 5 months, he got really sick with pancreatitis and colitis. I never feed him table scraps of any kind. Vet said she has been hearing bad things about Blue. I should have listened to the pet store owner as she said not to feed any animal Blue. Well, now after $1600 in vet bills, I am nursing him back to health. Blue is bad food to give to your pets. Our vet agrees that with his history it had to be the Blue products. Never again. I make my own now!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I have a purpose breed border collie and his son Shepherd border collie. About 6 months ago I switched our babies to blue menu and it's been horrible ever since... hair loss... smelly ears diarrhea and 27 pounds lost. My Shepherd has been affected a lot. The vet bills and food are horrible and agree a class action suit should be done. If these were humans getting sick something should be done. My poor dog is now on hamburg rice and carrots for last 3 months. Anyone know how expensive hamburg is omg. But we love our babies and will do all we have to but all these poor fur babies and owners should be compensated. WE TRUSTED YOU AS A PET FOOD COMPANY AND YOU ARE KILLING OUR ANIMALS A SLOW AND TORTUROUS DEATH. As you can see by photo his bones are still sticking out. Thanks to my vet she has him on a GI dog food.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

I had a 12 lb yorkie that got very sick. I was told he had pancreatitis. When I look up pancreatitis it stated they can get this for being overweight, bad diet, and feeding your pet off the table. My dog was not over weight, did not eat people food only ate Blue Buffalo food. Then I decided to go on consumer affairs and that's when I notice other people with yorkies had the same issue. I'm not saying it was Blue Buffalo Dog Food. Just keep watch over your dog.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

Recently I purchased several cans of BB Wilderness cat food. Upon opening one, the odor was horrible and there were maggots. I opened can 2...same thing. I took pic of the maggots LIVE and of the lot # and use by date. Then I notified BB and was told, it must be a storage issue which they could not control after leaving processing. I explained this was CANNED containers not dented or opened. I again sent them all picks. Received an email apologising and would send my cats some treats! Really? Today I receive one packet of treats worth $2 retail. I paid more for my 5 cans which I threw out. Terrible. Will not be purchasing their products again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

My two young shelties are healthy dogs. Virtually never thrown up. After feeding them Blue Buffalo Health Bars they both began vomiting yellow foam the next day. My male dog also began having soft stools. Not sure about what made them sick, I kept giving them the biscuits. The vomiting continued. The flavors I fed them were banana/yogurt and apple/yogurt. Both dogs are fine but need to be monitored.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I also have a Yorkie that has been periodically having mucus stools and skipping meals. Most recently started 'prayer position' and foamy vomiting. After blood work and X-rays to rule out bowel obstruction, she's diagnosed with pancreatitis. I don't know if it's the food that caused this, but after their history, and BB causing diarrhea in my uncle's dog, and other questionable suspected problems I find online, I'm done with any BB product.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

I've been reading all of the negative reviews about Blue Buffalo dog food and felt the need to relate our very positive review. We have two mixed black labs that we've had since they were puppies; they are now 7 years old and have been eating Blue since not long after we got them. They were originally on another dog food and one of our girls started losing hair and scratching herself all the time.

Blue was recommended to us by a friend and within 2 weeks the puppy that was scratching and losing hair was like a new dog. Both of their black coats became very shiny and they've been healthy ever since. We recently tried switching to a less expensive dog food only to see our girl's coats become dull and their skin flakey, not to mention them having diarrhea. We quickly switched back to Blue and once again the girls are doing great! We also have a 12 year old Beagle who has now been eating Blue since we inherited her 4 years ago and she, also, is going great on Blue.

It saddens me to hear others talk about how bad Blue has been for their pets. Perhaps the food is to blame but there are others of us who like how it keeps our pets healthy. I guess every dog/cat is different and each has their own needs. Fortunately, our girls need and like Blue... it's just our bank account that suffers from feeding them Blue because it is not cheap!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

I have been using Blue Buffalo for my two boxers their entire lives. One is 6 yrs old and the other 1. They love it and have had zero health issues related to diet. I recognize the ingredients and feel that is the best place to start!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

I am not a review writer. That being said I change to Blue Buffalo thinking it would be healthy for my cat. Within 2 weeks my very healthy cat that in 6 years has had only one ear infection for any kind of illness started throwing up and not eating, drinking or going to the bathroom. They have ran every single test on her and have done x-rays to make sure there's no blockages. There is nothing wrong with this cat except like my vet said most likely the food that I switched her to. Please, please, please it hasn't even been 2 weeks and this is what happened to my cat. I couldn't even imagine if she was on it for a prolonged period! I don't understand how they are still selling the crap except money can do a lot of things. I truly believe this food is killing family pets.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

We switched our 4 month old German shepherd husky to the BB life protection plan dog food, and the first 2 bags were fine, but when we fed him the third bag of dog food, he was vomiting, and had severe diarrhea several times a day. We fed him rice and mixed in a new brand and his stool started to firm up again. Don't fall for their stupid commercials like me and probably some other people!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information