Beneful Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

For the last month, my dogs have been vomiting and bad diarrhea all the time. The only food I was feeding for the last 2 years was Beneful. I started buying at Walmart about 2 months ago and that's when the problems started. I threw out 30lbs of it today and will never buy any of their products again! Is this making my dogs sick?

I bought Beneful Healthy Weight for my dog at the end of August. Immediately after feeding her the food, she became sick with the same symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting. I figured she may be just sick, but after a few days, it got worse. When I came home to several piles of you know what everywhere, I was concerned, she just does not do that. So, I did the whole rice thing and she got better and then started adding the dog food back in and she got sick again. I went and bought another food, did the rice thing and started her on this new food and no problems whatsoever. I called Purina and discussed this and they had actually told me they didn't have any other complaints about this food. Wow, I couldn't believe they lied that easily about it, and just brushed me off by "we will send you a refund". They have to know if something is wrong and the government needs to step up and test this stuff and find out what it is that is making the dogs sick.

I bought Beneful and mixed it with his regular dry food. Immediately, he stopped eating after the first time of him eating it. I couldn’t understand. He ate six cups of his regular Nutro dog food and then went to zero. I kept forcing him or trying, but he was very sick and I didn’t know how sick till I ended up at a vet. He was dehydrated and had bacteria in his stomach and a high fever. I thought he slacked off eating because a female nearby was in heat. Then after a week of not wanting to barely drink and by the time I realized he was sick, I rushed him to the vet. I bought Beneful at a Family Dollar store here in Gila Bend, Arizona. We are in this area for my husband’s work. I never feed him anything before other than his Nutro, which I buy at PetSmart in Phoenix, Arizona. I was running low and went to the store here and this small town - Phoenix is 50 miles away.

That was four weeks ago when I bought that Beneful. Today, he is still not well and I had still been mixing Beneful with canned food and trying to get him to eat. He picked out the canned chunks. Then I hand-fed him the Beneful junk and he was throwing up - this while he is on three antibiotics from the vet. Today, I talked to a friend who told me Beneful had been making dogs very sick. Could this be why my dog is sick and still? I am a not forcing him to eat food that is contaminated. Oh, my God, I didn’t know I could have been killing him with this dog food. I am getting a new food today. I still have this junk, but it’s going in the trash soon.

Beneful made my baby sick! I've used Beneful for my Maltipoo for several years with no problems. This last bag I bought was the healthy weight kind because the other kind was sold out. I noticed that he's been throwing up a lot lately. He has a very sensitive stomach anyway so I thought he had been receiving treats from the dinner table from the children. Now that I'm reading the other complaints, it all makes sense. He never had this much vomit. I will not buy Beneful again and will tell everyone I know! Now I have to research to find a healthy alternative.

My pug, Buster, is 11 years old. He has always been healthy. Because of a recent move and the inability to get his old food which had been produced regionally, I switched him to Beneful Healthy Weight. In just two short months, the change has been alarming. He went from being happy and energetic to lethargic, sleeping 95% of the time. He stopped seeking out affection, which he has always done. He had been right next to me for 11 years, to isolating himself onto his pillow. He started stumbling when he walked with his hind legs frequently giving way behind him, and he became unable to jump up onto our very low sofa. I attributed these things to age but worried about the rapidity in which they were happening. He has also been largely non-reactive and unable to meet my gaze most of the time.

Finally, this week, I took him off Beneful and started him on a diet of fresh cooked chicken and rice and in just four days, I have noted a remarkable shift. He is reactive and meeting my gaze. He is coming over for lovies again. The problem with his gait and collapsing hind quarters has disappeared. And this morning, he hopped up onto the sofa with an ease that frankly shocked me. He is still a bit lethargic but much easier to rouse than he has been for the past couple of months. I can't but believe it was the food making my beloved boy sick, as it is the only thing I have changed. I hope Purina does something, and soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

I am a groomer. Whenever I have a dog-client with yeasty ears/eyes/paws and/or a dull thin coat and/or skin problems, I always ask the owner, "What do you feed your dog?" Nine times out of 10, the answer is Beneful. (The 10th time usually is Kibbles n Bits or Pedigree - both Purina products, I believe.) I tell the owners to please, please, please throw away the Beneful. Don't even donate it to rescues/shelters. I impress upon them the importance of buying new dog food on their way home and to feed not one more kibble of Beneful to their beloved pets.

It is terribly frustrating as a groomer when my human clients tell me that their vets say the type of dog food doesn't matter. It absolutely does. And I am shocked, dismayed, and disappointed that any vet would not know how detrimental Beneful (and other such dog foods) is, let alone that they recommend Science Diet - another crappy dog food. Well, I guess the vets make money off Science Diet by selling it in their offices. Jeez! Change vets! I also rescue dogs from local shelters. I can't tell you how many times I have rescued a dog that was slated to be killed due to skin/yeast problems. A better quality dog food and in three weeks the dogs are fine. Does Purina even understand that by selling these crappy dog foods they are killing dogs in shelters? It's maddening!

We had our Lab on Beneful and he stopped eating, had diarrhea and vomiting and started losing weight. This was within just a couple of days after we had opened a new bag of Beneful and we took him to our vet on a Friday. And he started bleeding from the nose and mouth on Monday and we had to put him to sleep on July 29th, 2012. That day, the vet stated he would not make it through the day. This makes me so upset. This was a dog we had gotten for our grandson's 2nd birthday and he is now only 5. That was his best friend he no longer has.

My 7-year-old spayed Beagle was 45lbs (very fat!). I took action and started walking her more often. The weight wasn't coming off. I switched to the Beneful formula and have been feeding her this for two years. She's down to 36lbs, despite my lack of effort in portion control and exercise. If not for this food, I believe she would be heavier than 45lbs. She is still a little chubby which is to be expected in this breed (beagle) when sedentary. Her vet is happy with her weight and overall condition. Her companion which is a Rat Terrier also eats this food and is 8 years old and in good shape. If my dog had continued to be obese, she would have bad health, including pain. I am happy with this food and it delivered on the promise implied by its name.

We recently had a family pet experience the majority of the same issues listed in every post here. I would suggest to anyone looking for something that is worth it (and a lot of them are affordable) to go to Dog Food Advisor and search something 4 stars or higher. I happen to feed a 4-star food after pulling our dogs off a "higher" grade Purina food (same dirt fancy package). My dogs are happier, healthier and even poop less!

My 9-year-old Sheltie Chloe had to be euthanized on July 6th. On the 4th of July, she began vomiting bile and stopped eating. I brought her to the vet on the 6th because she was still lethargic and refused to eat. Her CPL showed acute pancreatitis and her CBC showed end stage renal failure! The vet said there could be an underlying cancer but her BUN, etc. were so elevated that there wasn't anything to be done but comfort measures. She developed chronic yeast infections in her ear three years ago that were thought to be environmental. Her food the last three years? Beneful and it's the same food my now 10-year-old male Sheltie had been eating until I put him back on Iams after Chloe died. Now, I am sick to think this food could have killed my Chloe and worry about my Eddie who ate it as well. I trusted Purina. Not again!

We have had our 2 dogs on Beneful for about 6 months. Athena, our Rott, started acting lethargic and just looked like she didn't feel good. Her coat was dull and she got 3 urinary tract infections during that period. She would intermittently vomit and she also developed a rash that had to be dealt with from Dr. Tom. Chance developed not only vomiting, but also uncontrollable itching and almost totally liquid stools with lots of mucous. It took 5 days of keeping him on a bland diet of chicken broth and rice. It's easy on their tummies and soaks up the extra fluid in their system, 4 days after trashing the Beneful and going back to Taste of the Wild, Salmon recipe. It's grain free, awesome dog food! Anyway, 4 days later, the dogs were starting to act like themselves again, no itching, getting sick or diarrhea!

I really can't believe Purina who my family has trusted for years has dropped their level of quality and put millions of animals at risk of sickness and death. Yes, some dogs have died from this! I will never go back to Purina and am spreading the word to everyone I know, hoping to save the dogs and cats from having to go through any of this! Purina, how can you do this to us? We all trusted you - no more! I'm mad as a hornet!

Taste of the Wild is great dog food, especially the salmon because it contains Omega 3 & 6. They have other flavors as well, all natural, grain free. The dogs love it and I'm not worried about what I'm feeding them now. If you love your pets, dump Purina!

My brother has a beagle mix and it had started to throw up, had diarrhea and was not able to jump up on the bed and had stopped being active like he normally was. He is only 3 yrs. old, so they took him to the vet and it turned out he was going through liver and kidney failure. We thought he was going to die or had to put him to sleep. $6500 later, the vet didn't know what was wrong with him but he started to get better and it just so happened that my brother fed him Beneful. They changed his food and now he is doing better, eating again and running around like the active dog he was. This is terrible, to sell this food and have all these dogs getting sick. There should be something done for the people who have had to lay out all this money just in case your food is poisoning dogs.

I have two Great Danes, one is a year old and the other is nine. Both of my dogs have been sick since April. The puppy Zke has had a rash, which was minimal at first but now is all over his body. I have spent almost $800.00 on vets, medicines, IV for hydration, shampoos, antibiotics, and anti-fungal meds. I can go on and on. My older dog was hospitalized for severe blood in a liquid stool for days. I almost lost her. She's dehydrated and needed IV, a sonogram of her abdomen, and bloodwork. I spent hundreds of dollars again. I made all the similar attempts to get her better.

When I realized that it was the Beneful I purchased, I have returned to Blue Buffalo, the product I was advised to switch my puppy over to when I purchased him. Coming to find out this was all because of Purina, an animal company that has existed for decades, is so disheartening. They need to remove this product immediately off all shelves. Research it and come clean to almost killing so many animals. This is not acceptable at all, Purina.

I have five dogs, all different breeds. They are my babies! I have been feeding my dogs Beneful dog food for a very long time! I'm shocked that I have seen all of these complaints. My dogs have been off and on sick, vomiting and diarrhea. I just chocked it up to weather, etc. Now, my Pekingese has been very, very sick for the past few days. She has lost weight, vomiting, etc. I cannot believe that this is still on the shelf. I will never ever buy any of your products and God help me if I lose my baby, you will pay! This is horrible. I have saved most of my dogs from abuse, etc. now to find out that I'm the cause of my dogs being sick. Thanks to your product. Trust me, everyone will know! Thanks to everyone that posted comments. I hope that I can save my dog!

Annie is a Labrador-chow mixed breed, very strong in spirit and body despite being a three-legged amputee dog. She is an AKC CGC and a retired, certified therapy dog with Therapy Dogs International, Inc. She is 15 years old, but she has been strong and doing great despite her advance age. Then we bought her a bag of Beneful and she got sick! Within a couple days of opening the bag and feeding it to her for breakfast and dinner, Annie was lethargic, weak, and shaky. She stopped eating, threw up bile and globs of mucous. She stopped eating, drinking, peeing, pooping. Her gums were pale and she was so weak she couldn't lift her head. We were making plans to have her put to sleep, certain that her kidneys or liver must have finally worn out and suddenly failed. Heartbroken doesn't begin to describe how we felt at this very sudden and shocking downturn in our beloved pet!

The good news is that after being off the Beneful for 48 hours, she rallied. Her gums pinked up, her eyes stopped looking lifeless and dull, and she began to show interest in water and then in home-cooked skinless chicken. Another couple of days and she was walking, eating, drinking, but still very weak. It has been over 10 days now since we threw the Beneful away, put her on home-prepared food instead and she is doing great! She is walking, playful, alert, interested, eating heartily, drinking and having normal kidney and bowel function. Although she is 15 years old, her coat is sleeker than it has been in a long time, she is more spry than she has been in a long time, and she is alive. No thanks to Beneful.

Because of Beneful, we nearly lost our beloved pet. We nearly ended her life by feeding her a product whose manufacturer we foolishly trusted. I am so angry and disgusted that Purina Beneful was poisoning my dog and that so many other dogs have suffered from eating this product. Shame on the company and shame on us for not screaming at the top of our lungs to tell the world how awful Beneful is for dogs - that is poisons them and kills them as surely as if you feed your dog anti-freeze or rat poison. I am so angry and I will never, ever, ever purchase a Purina product again nor will anyone in my family. I pray my friends do not either. I am warning everyone I know not to buy Beneful and sharing Annie's story so they know why I feel so strongly against the brand.

My Scnoodle had suffered the same effects (i.e., vomiting, runs, sleepy, shakes, etc.)! He just died. I had been frying him burger, chicken broth, etc. A friend at work today told me their dog was doing the same thing, and I asked what kind of food, and they said Beneful. I am more than angry! Something must be done. Get on your Facebook pages and warn people!

I have been feeding my two small dogs different dry foods for three years. I always bought the 15 pound bags. So, Beneful was not the only brand for any length of time. I also mixed a wet food into their morning meal so the amount of dry food was cut back. Dinner is always just dry. I do recall once last year that Shadow would not eat much for a couple of days then for the next couple, she would eat like a pig. Two weeks ago she vomited a couple of times, had diarrhea with bleeding and was lethargic. I took her off dog food and gave her rice and hamburger, and no- salt chicken broth and she seemed to recover until I put her back on the Beneful. Then, she got constipated and lethargic again so we went to the vet and she suggested getting another food.

I called the number on the bag of Beneful and asked if there was a recall and was told they knew of no problem and promptly sent me a refund. So seven pounds of Beneful went in the garbage and my mortgage money went to the vet for x-ray and blood tests that showed nothing. My Rocky seems okay except for always coughing which I thought was hair balls as he has long hair and cleans himself; but never Beneful again.

After I bought this bag of Beneful, which I don't usually buy, both dogs started vomiting and sleeping all the time. Then I read this and now I know why! If my dogs die, you will not believe the fury I will unleash on you! I'm taking the rest of this bag to Wal-Mart and giving them all this info and loudly so everyone in the store hears me! Dog killers!

I had complained to the Purina company a couple weeks ago because my dog had been ill. Luckily, I had a post on my FB page about dogs becoming sick and some even having to be put to sleep. It seems the common denominator among the stories was the dogs had all been fed Beneful. So, I called Beneful and they gave the same generic answer they have given everyone who complained about their food. Then, I went and complained on their FB page, which led me to another spiel to try and placate me. I have been following this for the past two weeks and today, I received coupons in the mail. They gave me two coupons worth about $40. It's a hell of a lot more cost-effective to mail out some coupons than to stand up and admit, "Hey, there is a problem with our product. Maybe we should do the right thing and address the issue." I don't want any coupons for your food. I will be sending them back to you, Purina. I have found a new brand to try that has no animal products and is hypoallergenic and gluten free. It is expensive, but my baby is worth every dollar.

I bought a 31.1-lb bag of Purina Beneful Playful Life dog food, and now, both my dogs are throwing up within 30 minutes after they eat. I fed it to them twice, and both times, they reacted by throwing up. I have fed them this type of dry dog food for about a year now, and they like it very much. However, you might want to look into a recall of this product at this time. The bag says best used by July 2013. Thanks.

We switched to Beneful because it was economical and was readily available for purchase at Wal-Mart. We have three Siberian huskies. My oldest dog Nikita, which was 9 years old, became very lethargic, had difficulty in walking, had mild seizures, and eventually had shortness of breath. We took the dog to the vet four times, did every test, blood-work panels, and x-rays - we even took the dog for an ultra sound at a specialist. Even after the ultra sound, it could not show hepatocutaneous. The vet could not make a diagnosis based on all the test results. The vet believed her to have hepatocutaneous or pemphigus and recommend steroids, Pepcid, pain pills, and antibiotics. Now, we have bills totaling more than $1100. Over the course of the next three weeks, we watched the dog lose about 20 pounds in weight and the dog got to the point that she could not walk on her own.

Like many other complaints listed here, my dog had all the same symptoms (allergies, pemphigus, loosing of fur, and crying when would lie down). She would not walk anymore, would urinate in the house, and slept constantly. We took the dog to our vet one last time. They were out of options and the dog was now showing signs of jaundice, fluid in the abdomen, and breathing difficulties. It was then that we put her down. The dog no longer had a life of its own. After seeing 157 complaints (some going back as far as 2009), I am very angry that nothing has been done to pull this toxic poison dog food from the shelves! After reading all of these complaints, I am convinced that we poisoned our dog.

What’s really scary is that the other two huskies are now showing similar symptoms. I have immediately removed them from Beneful! If someone files a class action lawsuit, please include me! It is not right that a perfectly healthy dog had to die because the makers of Beneful willingly have known about this for years. How come the FDA does not do something about this? People need to get angry and sue the pants of them. They make billions and are killing peoples’ pets in the process. My husky was not just a pet, she was a family member. I am just torn that my action, by feeding the dog a cheap economical dog food, is really what killed her! Someone should list all the suppliers in the lawsuit as well because they made it available to consumers. As a final note: I am very angry that this happened to my beloved husky!

My dog got very sick in June of this year. After numerous testings, blood work twice, x-rays and ultrasounds, we were unable to determine a cause for her illness. We were looking for hepatocutaneous syndrome, which is a liver disease. But the ultrasound didn't show signs of this disease but did show changes to the liver. We ended up treating her with steroids because they thought she had pemphigus, pain pills, and Pepcid to help with her appetite.

Two weeks ago, I had to put my sweetheart down. She was jaundiced and had fluid in her abdomen, and her breathing was labored. This was definitely a liver problem. We have been feeding Beneful to all three of our dogs. Our puppy has started vomiting, and both dogs now do not want to eat. I think it is horrible that this is out on the market, and I am now wondering if I, in fact, killed my own dog.

My little Chihuahua got sick after I bought this dog food and has passed away. Now I have another one that is having the same symptoms but since reading these complaints, I took him off Beneful. He is doing better but still has the hairball type cough every once in a while. I want them to take this ** off the market asap and reimburse us for our loss. They won't do it because they do not care. It's all about the money to this greedy company. I always had faith in Purina products but never again. I have written a complaint before on the Beneful ad, but I want to keep telling people about this terrible dog food (Beneful) that we have been giving to our babies. And yes, they are my babies. I take good care of them, and when someone wants to add stuff to their food to kill them off, they need to be punished.

I started feeding my dog Beneful about 8 months ago. She got very sick – lethargic, diarrhea, throwing up – and refused to eat and drink! I was very confused; she was fine before this. We ended up having to put her down, and I feel Beneful may have played a part in her death! I have heard and read so many complaints like this; I am not only upset, but am very angered! Reading the ingredients of this dog food and the official rating this dog food has been given, I feel it needs to be taken off the market immediately! Thank you for your time!

I have been feeding my dog Beneful Healthy Radiance, and he has gone from a very healthy, one-year-old dog to a lethargic, sick dog. The last 31-pound bag I purchased from Wal-Mart 2 weeks ago is when he really started getting sick and I noticed the symptoms more. He started to vomit after eating the food and now refuses to eat. Head shaking, itchy skin and ears, and diarrhea. Also, an hour after eating, he would start shaking his head and make choking noises. At first, I thought he was choking then realized he was having a seizure. My dog is sick today – very lethargic, vomiting, and whining a lot as if something is bothering him.

I am angry because my dog before eating Beneful was a very happy, healthy, energetic dog. I started feeding my dog Beneful 5 months ago and regret it. He never had these symptoms prior to me feeding the food. I assumed it was environmental until I realized the correlation of symptoms with feeding. My dog is not just a pet; he is my PTSD service dog also. The fact he is sick from this food makes me even more upset, and it inhibits him from being able to do the job he is trained to do. It is not his fault; it is the dog food company. I have read complaints that have been posted for the last 7 months. I ask why Purina has not put out a warning statement and remove the dog food from the shelves?

The first week of March, our little healthy seven-year-old Chihuahua started becoming ill: horrible diarrhea, vomiting, she was lethargic and wouldn't eat or drink. After a few days, she got worse and started having bloody diarrhea and wouldn't even get up to walk, eat, drink, play or go potty. Even if we called her name, she didn't even have the strength to lift her head. We immediately took her to the vet again and after tests, they said she had food poisoning and was dying. We had no other choice than to put her out of her misery that night. We felt horrible thinking that she had gotten into something.

My 11-year-old had to watch her bestfriend die a horrible death. She wouldn't sleep for days. Our dog, Princess, was on Beneful Healthy Weight at the time. (Attached are two images of our little Princess; one of her healthy and the other is a picture my daughter wanted of the two of them together for the last time.) About two weeks ago, our two-year-old Lab started getting sick with the same symptoms. We immediately freaked out and racked our brains trying to figure out what the problem was. After a week of doing rice and chicken and her starting to get better, we put her back on her food only for her to get sick again. Finally, I got on Google to see if there had been a recall of her Beneful Playful Life food to which I found this site among others. We immediately took her off her food again and put her on Blue Buffalo and guess what!? She is much much better now! No more sickness and she is up and playing like a puppy again.

I am so disappointed in this company for having the ability to get online and see posts such as these and not recall their food. People's animals are dying! These are our bestfriends, our family members, our children's playmates and Purina is sitting around and doing nothing. I will never buy this food again and will tell everyone with ears not to ever buy anything Purina for their dog. Shame on you, Purina. Step up and do something before other innocent animals die.

Sick dog - I feed my American Bulldog Beneful and she began to throw up daily and severe upset stomach.

I purchased Beneful dog food from Wal-Mart/Sam’s. We only have one dog. She started feeling sick and having severe diarrhea and throwing up. She started to do better and then started eating the Beneful again. We didn't think anything about it might be the food. Then after a few days, she got really, really sick (throwing up bile) and really, really bad diarrhea. We took her to the Vet. She lost a lot of weight and has grown very lethargic and doesn't want to eat. She is not quite six years old, a small Jack Russell. I was shocked after reading everyone else's posts about the same exact symptoms.

In July my 11-year-old border collie started having diarrhea episodes in my house. They were bloody and two to three times a day in the house even though he was let outside often. At the end of August, my sister posted a link to this website as a warning to dog owners about Beneful. I couldn't believe it. This is what my dog was eating! I immediately stopped feeding him this and put him on a diet of rice and chicken stock for a few days. The diarrhea stopped a day later! He is now eating Iams food and is fine. It is time to pull this food off the shelf. While some dogs can tolerate this food, I wonder what might be happening on the inside. I am sad for my dog that he had to be so sick with a food I thought was good for him and a reasonable price for me. Purina, stop hurting our dogs! I'm so glad I found this site.

The first year there were no problems at all - she’s a happy and healthy baby peek-a-pom. Then we started her on Beneful and she started shaking her head and was choking. And for a year, the vet couldn't figure out why her ears and the choking were happening. Then the seizures started. We would sit and cry watching our baby shake. The vet was going to put her on anti-seizure meds. She stopped eating, thank god, so we thought maybe if we switched her food. We started giving her pieces out of our hand and she liked it and now the seizures have stopped. No more shaking her head violently and choking. She is getting better. I feel that if we had left her on Beneful, she would have starved herself or had a seizure that could’ve taken her out. I am mad - very mad. We trust dog feeders just as we trust our own food vendors. My baby Prissy is just as important. I hope they run out of business.

Beneful Pet Foods Company Profile