Beneful Pet Foods
2.67/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Beneful Pet Foods

1880 Beneful Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 19, 2013

In 2012 I had two 15 year old, female Jack Russel/Basenji mix sisters. I had been feeding them Beneful for years. In February Mariah the smaller one suddenly stopped eating, was constantly drinking water, voiding in the house, she became lethargic and suffered with ataxia and seizures. We took her to the vet who changed her diet to "Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul", for older dogs. Both girls liked this food very much. After a few weeks Mariah got her bounce back, put on weight, was drinking normally again, the ataxia and seizures stopped.

In September I decided to buy a large bag of this food so I didn't have the 45 minute drive each month for their food. For some reason they would not eat from this bag. They ate at the scraps I gave them, just not this food. Maybe it was old? So I started to feed them Beneful again. Back came the symptoms. Multiple seizures, ataxia, weight loss, constant drinking, voiding in the house, and a new symptom for Mariah. She had these fast growing, grape sized lumps under her left "armpit" that slowly spread up her chest to her neck. She pulled out all the fur from the affected area. Back to the vet, who thought the "rash" might be tumours, but tumours don't grow that fast, and gave me an antibiotic for Mariah. I kept the area clean with apple cider vinegar and water. The "rash" stopped spreading but did not heal. She became so weak she could not stand for long. I carried her up and down the stairs, held her little bum up so she could void without getting herself soiled. She developed a rattle in her chest and I knew she had pneumonia. Mariah passed away in my arms on our way to the vets to have her put to sleep.

It was after that I saw a report on facebook about Beneful. Mariah's sister Morgan was beginning to show the same symptoms as Mariah, except for the rash. I took her off Beneful and put her on Cesar for small dogs. Within days there were no more seizures, vomiting, excessive thirst. etc. Within a week the ataxia also stopped. Morgan has not shown any more of the typical "Beneful symptoms" and is a healthy senior, who will be 17 in February. God willing. I warn people about this food now. So they and their dogs don't have to go through the agony we did.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2013

I have 2 dogs and have fed them Beneful dog food since I've had them and one of them was diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy. I do not know for sure that it was the dog food but she has been on meds and still got worse. She had 10 seizures in one night, this past Sunday, had to be admitted. It has cost thousands. I didn't think that a dog food could have anything to do with it until I did some research. I am so upset. I changed her food and she is on meds and was on them before this last bout of seizures. She has not had any yet since I stopped the food. Only time will tell but to me if there is any question that it could be making animals sick, it should be recalled!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2013

I had switched my dog to Beneful IncrediBites because he was having trouble biting the bigger food. We woke up one morning to my dog vomiting and pooping massive blood. I immediately took him to the vet. There we found out that my dog had suffered from poisoning and his insides had basically ruptured. There was nothing the vet could do for him. We had to have my baby put down on my birthday this year. PLEASE DO NOT FEED THIS HORRIBLE FOOD TO YOUR DOG!!!! I have read online that other people have had this same issue with this dog food, looking into a lawsuit!!! Purina (the makers of Beneful) need pay for what they have done to many families and poor innocent animals!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2013

My beloved dog Bear started eating Beneful healthy weight from October 14th thru the 18th and Bear died on the 19th. She suffered terribly her last day! She vomited every night and our other dog Tanner had a seizure and vomited in this same time frame. We discussed the dogs acting as if they were poisoned on 16th but there was nothing new around here except the dog food. Who would think the dog food could kill our beloved pets? The dogs Bear and Tanner ate supper at their usual 4pm. They eat dry food with 1 bag of moist Ol Roy brand that they have been eating for years. Bear is a 9 year old yellow lab and Bernese mountain dog mix, 105 pounds and Tanner is a 6 year old Pekingese mix, 16 pounds.

Bear had her health issues with skin problems and hip dysplasia but she never was sick like that week. She would vomit in the evening when we were sleeping a large pile of the dog food and another pile of phlegm. The fourth morning there was blood in the vomit so I called the vet Jeff at The Ark in Eau Claire, WI. We discussed the situation and he was not so concerned with the blood since she had been vomiting. He suggest pepto bismol 4 times per day to sooth the stomach linings. We did as he suggest. The 5th day she did not vomit in the bedroom but went outside at 11am and vomited 5 separate times. She then crawled in a old dog house that she would not go near for 8 years. She knew she was near the end.

My husband called me home from work. We got her into the house and comforted her as well as we could. Spoke with the vet and he had a family emergency and we could take her in on Saturday to another vet but she passed away Friday night at 11:20pm. The food looked like normal dog food, but certainly had to be toxic. The food was purchase at Sam's Club on Gateway Dr in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Food details Purina Beneful healthy weight dry dog food that came in a 42 lb bag UPC 1780014584. The best used by date is September 2014 #324710841125L01 followed the date.

I called Sams Club and spoke with Carry the club manager. She told me to call Purina which I did immediately and was told they would do a physical examination and if I wanted further testing but to have a chemical compound test and that would have to be done by me???? And they would use the results! They did give me a reference number of **. They are sending a container for a physical examination. They said I could call 4 to 6 weeks after sending for the results. So in the meantime how many pet have to suffer??? Something is wrong with this picture. How difficult is it to have a proper testing of the food done?

We have spoken with Kevin **, the environmental Enforcement Specialist here in Eau Claire. He works for the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. He was at our home and took details of what happened. He walked around the house and looked at their consumption of food and water. Our dogs did not even go on walk without Norm! They were very pampered pets and loved so very much. We are just sick that more cannot be done for our pets. They are our children and there certainly does need to be better control of ingredients and toxins. PS: have not seen that container from Purina! I think they know exactly what is going on and just want to sell their food and could care less about innocent animals suffering.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2013

I have been feeding my dog Beneful wet food with lamb. She is 14 mo old. She vomits yellow liquid often and shakes. Now that I'm reading other reviews, I'm beginning to wonder. I also read about all dog food, all the poisons that are in our dog food. I will stop buying dog food and making the people rich at the expense of my little dog's death. I will cook fresh food for my dogs from now on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2013

I took my dog off Beneful just about a month ago after my wife had told me there had been problems reported with it. I wish I had done it when she first told me! I had no idea the problems were this bad, and now my dog is starting to exhibit some symptoms. However, I just started giving her some Pedigree Dentastix (mint) within this last week and someone else reported their dog having the same symptoms from them that all of you report from Beneful, so I can't be positive. HOWEVER, I have a theory. Purina says they keep testing Beneful and finding no problems. But what are they testing for? They searched for aflatoxin, didn't find any. Last May, state regulators took several Beneful samples, looking specifically for E. coli and salmonella and found none. What are they NOT testing for?

To me, all of the symptoms sound like HEAVY METAL poisoning, specifically, arsenic: **: "Symptoms include drooling, vomiting, bloody diarrhea containing mucus, bloody urine, muscle cramps, weakness, hair loss, skin rashes, gastrointestinal pain, convulsions, trembling and staggering." For a complete chart of symptoms and metals, you can go to the following website. If you do a search in your browser for arsenic, you will see how it comes up for each symptom mentioned (except hair loss, which a person reported; only Thallium matched that): **. Have your vet check for heavy metal poisoning. There are treatments for that. If anyone does (before me!) let us know what they find!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2013

We adopted our dog from a shelter almost 7 years ago and continued to give him Beneful original (they recommended) ever since. He truly loved the taste of the food and it was readily available and in our budget. Over the last year, we noticed greenish discharge from his eyes and leg biting. The vet said it may have been seasonal allergy so we ignored it and treated with medication (he checked, not fleas or ticks). Lately we also noticed many small growths all over him and the biting worsened. The vet gave us antibiotics and said to put him on rice and burger for a few days and switch food slowly to another brand. The chewing soon stopped and open sores healed....we again returned to the Beneful - he loved the taste and we still had a lot left in the bag.

Things quickly changed again. For the last 3 days, he has had no food and drinks excessively. He has had trouble breathing, panting and blowing his nose hard to catch his breath and begun to vomit green/yellow bile. It is so hard when he looks at you with those trusting eyes for help, and you can do nothing but pet and hold him. Today came with watery red diarrhea and muscle spasms. As a last resort, I searched for these symptoms and the word Beneful popped up - I couldn't have been more shocked. We ruled out everything else - no new: detergent, air fresheners, laundry soap for bedding, leaves in yard, table scraps or treats, etc.

I hope after reading about the problems with Beneful we have caught it in time. How many dogs have to die before something is done? I am saving the bag with lot # and will forward a complaint to FDA and Dept. of Agriculture. I, too, didn't want to believe something I trusted for years could be hurting my dog but something must have changed in the last year with the food or ingredients. Please take this seriously and watch for signs of distress and ACT QUICKLY taking away the Beneful if in doubt (Also to the poster who says that we are making this up and just need someone to blame - I sincerely hope you really are a dog owner and not just a talking head/blogger for the company and that you never have to experience this pain yourself).

Original review: Oct. 26, 2013

Started feeding my 11 pound chihuahua Beneful mixed with table food at 1 year of age after getting a free sample and seeing how much she loved it. Also fed her the Beneful treats. At age 3 she began having peeing in the house issues. I took her off the Beneful suspecting the dog food after researching on the web. Took about a week and the peeing in the house stopped. I also noticed she has a lot more spunk now. Glad I figured this out before it was too late. Will not use any Beneful product ever again and spreading the word.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2013

My husband bought the dog food last month - Beneful, which I never buy, and I purchased the Beneful Baked Delights Chicken and Cheese star treats. Two weeks ago, my dog fell very sick. I have never seen her like this as she would just lie there not even lifting her head when I called her name, she would just follow me with her eyes. When she did get up, it was to drink water and go outside and pee. I managed to get her to the vet and found she was running a very high fever. She started to improve two days later and is finally back to her old self. Then I read about the Beneful recall and the problems with the chicken treats. BINGO! Or maybe it was the combo of both, eating the Beneful dog food along with the Chicken and star treats... Consumer beware.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2013

If I could give this ZERO stars... I would. First, let me start off by saying my dogs have always been in good health AND go to the vet yearly for checkup and vaccinations. This food seems to be hurting many, many dogs. I have one dog that is currently now experiencing seizures (vet believed she could be going into liver failure not that long ago) and another that's vomiting and having stomach problems. Two dogs have been rushed to the vet ER as of recent and $600 spent within a week. I've concluded it has to be the dog food. Please save your dogs and STOP feeding them this crap!!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2013

I fed my dog Beneful and Chicken Jerky Treat from Milos Kitchen. In March 2013, Zoey, my toy Pomeranian was a healthy dog one week, the next dying in my arms. My other dog Napoleon was sick as well, but recovered. Since Zoey died I always wondered how she got so sick so fast. It just didn't make sense - she was like a puppy, prancing and playing all over the place. When the news came out yesterday on the Jerky Treats, I was stunned. I did searches on pet food safety..... When I read the stories about Beneful, tears welled up in my eyes. I was reading my story over and over again. Same symptoms, same outcome. Bloody stool, vomiting, excessive water consumption, not eating, seizures, finally organ failure.

I brought her to the vet 3 times. She was given IV fluids, antibiotics, diarrhea medicine. There was nothing they could do. I had her euthanized. I never had to do something so painful... holding her while the life slipped away from her. My best friend had to hold me up while I held her in those last moments. I just want to put this out there and make other pet owners aware. If I can save just one pet, I'll feel better about losing my own. Here is my favorite picture of my beloved pet. I want the makers of Beneful to see what they took from my life way too soon.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2013

I am very concerned about what is happening with dog food. I have owned a boarding facility for over 12 years. Most clients provide their own dog food. Most used commercial dog food. In the last 7 years, I have seen dogs get sick and some die, and I think it was from dog food. I also saw a lot of cancer. I usually use a natural dog food that I feel I can trust. I do not mind paying more, as I love my pets like my family. Last month, I ran out of the usual brand that I use. Since I did not have time to drive an hour to my pet store, I purchased Beneful Fiesta made by Purina.

My dogs have been very healthy and see their vet on a regular basis for health check ups and dental cleanings. After buying the food, my Pomeranian who is 1 year old, put her nose up from the food, walked away and started coughing. My 7-year-old Doxey did the same; however he sneezed. I thought it was because they were telling me they knew it was not their usual brand that they enjoy. They would not go near it for a day and a half. Then my Doxey started eating it. My Pom started to follow. Within one week of them eating this Beneful, they started more coughing, sneezing, vomiting, and peeing all over. They both needed a lot of water! A lot of water. Our Pom even had two seizures.

Something is very wrong here. Too many dog food products are being recalled and some that should be are not. It is time that something be done. I called Purina today. They told me they were sorry and offered to give me my money back. They also told me that they test every small amount of food that goes out. I understand that products can be made in one area, and shipped to be packed at many other areas. Could it be happening in another packaging plant? Maybe instead of all these companies wanting to give us our money back, they should do what is truly appreciated. FIND THE PROBLEM! I told Purina this.

As I say this to you, my two sweet four-legged children are watching me talk to you. They have very concerned faces on. I beg you to please take the lead on this investigation. If you want to prove what kind of company you truly are, why not join other companies, in finding out why this is happening. Please read and view the videos people are putting out there. Maybe you won't as you have already seen too many. Just seeing these pets suffer should be enough! I saw what my pets went through. I asked Purina to lead the way. I love my pets! We all do! Please look into this. With multi complaints out there, it has to be real. How can I help?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2013

I have 2 dogs who have been eating Beneful Healthy Weight. Last night, my American Eskimo began yelping in pain. At first I thought maybe he twisted his leg while playing. I checked his legs, all were fine. I then went down his body touching the left side of his abdomen. He began yelping intensely. He was unable to stand up, lay down, or even move without being in pain. My husband and I decided to take him to the emergency vet. While putting his collar on, I noticed his gums turning white. We got him in the car, on my husband's lap. He began having difficulty breathing. During this time his entire mouth turned grayish white.

Upon arrival to the vet, he was put on oxygen and an ultrasound done. The vet asked if he had gotten into any poison? There are no poisons in our home nor has any of our surroundings changed. All I could think is we just purchased and opened a new bag of Beneful dog food....could there be something wrong with this food? The vet did the ultrasound and told us our dog's abdomen was filled with blood and he was in critical condition and there was an issue with his liver. She stated they could try to save him but it would require a blood transfusion and intense surgery in which she felt he would not survive. She recommended we euthanize him.

This dog was our child... He was not certified but acted as a service dog to my husband who is a 100% disabled Veteran. The Vet informed us the surgery would cost $4000.00 and she did not think he would make it through the procedure. After talking with her and a lot of tears, it was decided he had to be euthanized. This has been very difficult not on on myself but on my husband who has been dependent on our dog. I came home and began to research the food to see if that may have caused the issue with our dog who has been healthy to this point. He was fine up to this point...playing like a puppy!

I feel Purina needs to look into this, see these complaints and investigate. Folks are not only paying huge vet bills, dealing with ill pets, losing companions, but there are folks who depend on these animals, who view these animals as family members, who use these animals as therapy dogs. This is very unfair of them to take the consumers' money and not to put it back into the product and investigate when there is an issue that is hurting and killing animals. This is pure abuse and neglect. There are laws against abuse and neglect of animals... Why aren't companies charged when and if their product causes harm?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2013

Our Chihuaha had a terrible problem with loose stools, sometimes bloody and very frequently. She seemed to poop all day long in the house on the pee pads. We switched to organic dog food and within five days noticed a completely different experience. Her stools are larger, solid and twice a day. She goes outside and not in the house, and seems to have more energy. I'm convinced that her problems were directly related to the Beneful. She is now on organic food for small breeds which has no corn, no soy, no wheat. Beneful's first ingredient is corn.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2013

Second 31lb bag of Purina Beneful filled with flying bugs, larvae and maggots. I thought the first was because I left the bag open in the garage so I tossed that bag and purchased another putting into my walk-in pantry. BIG MISTAKE within a few days my closed pantry was filled with flying small mouth like bugs and crawling larvae or maggots on the walls and corners. After throwing away everything open, cleaning the walls with bleach and trying not to throw up I took the bag out to the trash and as I poured it into the trash can I saw more flying moths and maggots at the bottom covered in a web-like substance. My poor dogs. When I researched the value of Purina it came up 1 out of 5 stars, Kirkland "Costco" came up 4 out of 5 for quality. Research said the Beneful is mostly corn and thus no nutrition and more bugs!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2013

We had a beautiful, healthy Siberian Husky named Bishop who was 7 yrs old. There was a coupon for a dollar off those Beneful meals in the tupperware containers and we thought we'd get him one to try. He was dead a day later from multiple organ shut down. That Beneful meal was his last. He would not eat or drink after that. There was no reason, no sickness, no signs. He was healthy, happy and very well cared for. I googled the Beneful meal the day after he died looking for the ingredients and stumbled upon all the stories and complaints of heartbroken pet owners just like me. Someone has to do something before more dogs die.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2013

My beloved golden retriever, Koty, died on September 23 at 5:30 p.m. as my wife, my son and I were rushing him to an emergency veterinary clinic in Wilmington, Del., from my mother's home in a remote part of Maryland's Eastern Shore. He was 9-1/2 years old. My son, who idolized Koty, held him in his arms as he slipped away. In the week preceding his death, Koty was the picture of health. With the exception of a couple of benign fatty tumors he had developed in the last couple of years, he had no health issues. He was a big, broad-shouldered golden, strong as an ox, happy and still very active for his age.

About six days before he died, we were running out of Science Diet, his usual food. I was pressed for time, so I picked up some Beneful adult dog food at BJ's to save a trip to PetSmart, where I would normally purchase his Science Diet. He began eating the Beneful on Wednesday morning and consumed eight meals -- four in the mornings and four in the evenings -- between Wednesday and Saturday evening. He was really excited about arriving in Maryland to visit my mother, whom he loved. We took a ride in her golf cart, took a walk, he ate his dinner, hung out with us, and everything seemed normal.

But on Sunday morning he became ill, banging on our bedroom door to go outside, where he promptly threw up. His condition remained stable for about 7-8 hours after that. He didn't want food but did drink some water and although he clearly wasn't feeling 100%, his symptoms didn't appear life-threatening. His breathing was normal. His eyes were clear. He had endured an upset stomach several times in the past and had had occasional bouts of nausea or diarrhea, but they were routine illnesses that cleared up in a matter of a day or two. This time proved much different.

I was busy helping my mother, who is elderly, with numerous chores around the house and didn't check on Koty between about 2:30 and 4:30 p.m. During that time, his condition deteriorated dramatically. When I checked on him at 4:30, his eyes were glazed and he seemed to be having leg spasms. Clearly, he was in bad shape. So we packed up our stuff as quickly as possible, loaded him into the back of the van and began our desperate, futile drive for help. As I described above, the outcome was fatal for Koty and terribly traumatic for all of us.

Our veterinarian performed a necropsy and discovered that Koty's liver and gall bladder were a bright orange color typical of severe jaundice caused by some type of liver illness. He asked me how Koty was acting before the day he died and was surprised to hear his condition had been absolutely normal. He said that in the case of severe liver disease such as Koty's, symptoms usually appear many weeks ahead of the acute phase. He advised me not to obtain testing of tissue samples, saying that it would be very expensive and might not ever pinpoint the cause of Koty's death. He said the illness could have been caused by accidental poisoning or some type of virus or bacteria. He was doubtful that the dog food had anything to do with it.

However, in view of all the complaints I've read here regarding Beneful, I am not as doubtful. I can't help but connect Koty's death with the fact that he started eating this food only five days before he died. I am starting to search for a lab that can analyze the food, which I have not disposed of. If testing proves the food to be harmless, then at least I can rule it out as a cause. We have no other suspects at this point because we're not aware that he ingested a poison of any type, although the rapidity of his illness and death suggest poison could have been the cause.

Koty was a great dog, ebullient, enthusiastic and incredibly loyal and attached to us. We adored him, as did our kittens. He is pictured with one of them here. Koty's loss has left a massive hole in our lives.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2013

I hardly write reviews, but after reading all of these eerily similar experiences, I felt I must share my story as well. We fed our border collie, Sierra (now 6 yr old), Beneful healthy weight and plain Beneful for approximately 3 years. We moved to Hawaii from San Diego and in order to include our dog in the move we had to have her complete a process of blood work that is required in order to avoid a 120 day quarantine by the state. While completing her blood work for clearance in San Diego, we discovered she had slightly elevated LFTs (liver enzymes). She was not symptomatic and appeared completely healthy.

We decided to check her LFTs a few months later (when we arrived to HI) to assess the trend and her LFTs doubled. No other organ function tests were abnormal. It was then we decided to give her Denosyl and vitamin E (a liver antioxidant). Her LFTs trended down after adding this to her diet, but she continued to eat Beneful because we hadn't connected her elevation to her food. A little while later, she had one incontinent episode (urinating in the house - She NEVER does this) which we attributed to the move. Then she had a second episode and we noticed she started drinking more water. So we took her to the vet to rule out diabetes and check all her labs out; they were all fine. This didn't happen again in the ensuing months and she wasn't acting lethargic or different so we put it behind us.

She is a high energy dog so we walk her and hike with her often. One cool and cloudy day on a hike (a hike she had completed before on a hotter day with no issue) she collapsed. I carried her down the mountain, running, to get her out of the sun and cool her off. When we got to the parking lot in the shade, she was acting anxious and refused to drink water (this is not in her character) so I attempted to give her ice and doused her in water. It was then I noticed her gums were bleeding. I then began to assess her and open her legs to look at her abdomen and saw petechiae (small capillary hemorrhages). It was then I knew she was in critical condition (DIC) so I rushed her to an emergency vet.

She was diagnosed with a heat stroke, but what they also found at that time was her LFTs were >5000 (normal is 0-118; her prior trend was 150, 350 then 120, 115). Although the heat stroke could have caused the multiorgan dysfunction, I don't believe her liver would have shut down immediately. Upon admission her BUN/CR (renal function) were normal and of course due to the nature of the illness eventually rose putting her into renal failure. Ultimately, I think she was unknowingly going into hepatic encephalopathy (in liver failure) prior to the hike which compounded her heat intolerance/heat stroke. She was in the ICU for 1 week.

My husband and I are in medicine (MD & DNP) and we understand dogs are very similar to humans in respect to treatments and pathophysiology. She is thankfully doing fine but we have since changed her diet to Great Life. She has had no issues with her LFTs but we have been continuing the Denosyl and Vit E. I do feel that it was ultimately the Beneful that cost us $6000 in vet bills and the near loss of our canine child. There are too many similar stories for this to be coincidental. I also think that the chain of events that occurred will ultimately contribute to her shortened lifespan but only time will tell. There must be a way for us as consumers to unite and hold Purina accountable for their product. I am sorry to those of you who lost your pet. They are truly a wonderful species and deserve justice if malfeasance can be proven. This is coming from a non litigious, objective individual, who only believes litigation is necessary if obvious neglect, or greed is the root cause of the wrongdoing.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2013

Four-year old rottweiler was fed Beneful in December. Started with loose bowels and very high water consumption. Vet told us that toxins got into his diet. The only possibility was the dog food (Beneful). After many vet visits and tests, we are going to have to put him down. He has lost all his muscle mass and his stomach is very bloated. Found out about the bad reports too late. The damage was already done. People need to be protected from this company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2013

I see where some new people have the same problem I had with my Bellarose back in Dec 2012. I noticed that on that Saturday morning she was acting different. She was drinking lots of water so I watched. About 1 hour later, she went to poo and she is pad trained. It was nothing but blood that looked like jello. Took her to the emergency hospital. They ask, had she been poisoned? Of course not, she is an inside dog. Told her that she was acting not right so they took her in the back, put her on IV for days. Said her liver and kidneys were trying to shut down. To care for her, those 2 days were around $2500.00. Then picked her up from there, took her to my vet. They also kept her on IV and when I would get off work, I would pick her up and then the next morning, I would bring her back.

This went on for 5 days and then there were the reg vet cost which was around $600.00 Bellarose made it through. I was one of the lucky ones. I contacted Purina and they said they would check it out. I even sent them the exact food she was eating and I know this is what made her sick. They said the food was fine. Now do you think I am a fool? All these dogs getting sick there, explain that and all eating your food so don't let them tell you there were no complaints because they are not telling the truth. I will never let any pet of mine eat anything from Purina. My dog will have to eat I/D low fat the rest of her life because of this and let me tell you it is $33.00 Per 12 cans but you know what, my dog is worth it to me!!!!! Purina just does not care. It's not their Pet!!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2013

We have been feeding our dog's Beneful for as long as I can remember. He will be 7 years old in Dec. He has been to the vet for the last 2 weeks on IV fluids & Antibiotics. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with him because his vitals was good, he had good color, but blood work showed high white counts & high kidney levels. The antibiotics did help bring the levels down but after doing a full body scan, they have found his digestive tract isn't working and they can't figure out why this has happened. After reading the reviews on here, I'm afraid it may be this food we've been feeding him. :( Please reconsider feeding your dogs something else. (His symptoms were throwing up, lethargic, wobbling on back leg and not eating anything.)

Original review: Oct. 6, 2013

We have stood by Purina for over 25 years but now with the "New Purina Beneful" our dogs are throwing up, having extremely loose stools and go in the house before they get a chance to tell you they have to go out (and they are very well trained dogs). I hope Purina takes people's concerns seriously... from longtime customer who is switching brands immediately...

Original review: Oct. 3, 2013

My English Setter has been eating healthy weight Beneful Dog Food for about five years. She recently became sick in the last month. She has been drinking a lot of water, having accidents in the house, and needs to go out constantly. I took her to the vet today because we're very worried about her. She lost five pounds since her last visit. After lots of tests it came back that she has the start of liver failure. My vet believes that it is most likely caused by Purina Beneful Healthy Weight dog food. Jasmine is in liver medication and we switched her food immediately. I pray she makes it. Please don't feed your dogs this food.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2013

I switched to this food and in a matter of 6 months, lost 2 dogs. One was 8 and the other 11. One to kidney failure and one to liver failure. The only thing I can figure out was the cause was the switch to Beneful. Maybe this needs to be checked out so others don't lose their family members.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2013

Lost two dogs in 6 months from liver failure. Please beware! Don't take the risk!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2013

Tonight, I am sitting with my dog, Sienna. My husband has just dug her grave in the backyard. She has been our faithful companion for 13 1/2 years. Today, she was diagnosed with kidney failure. The Vet suggested it would be humane to "put her to sleep" today or tomorrow morning. At the last minute before his office closed, we called to schedule 9:30 in the morning. Her story is much like the others listed here. She was fed Beneful. The last 2 bags had been Healthy Weight and Radiance.

May 2013, she started having trouble with her hind legs. Her gait became wobbly and she had trouble getting up. She started vomiting and would yelp in pain. We thought it might be arthritis pain. The Vet checked her out and did an MRI to check for arthritis. Her bones were strong. Her heart was strong. He diagnosed a pulled muscle. He prescribed medication. She seemed to improve. Shortly, thereafter, the symptoms started getting worse. Diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, trouble standing and wobbly walk. She would push her food bowl as far away had she could. Once she pushed it all the way across the room. She was always so thirsty. She had her first ever seizures. Falling down, with all four legs straight out and eyes rolling. We were so frightened.

We fed her only her favorite foods, chicken, hamburger, beef. She quit eating the Beneful. Too late, we started researching. We were in shock. She had eaten Beneful for years so we did not suspect it. We removed the Beneful. We cooked her food. She started eating again but cautiously. We thought she would make it. She showed an improvement in energy. Then it all seemed too much for her. We started feeding her each morsel by hand. Then a couple of days ago, she started eating only a couple of bites a day. This week I told a manager at Sam's Club, I believed the dog food had made my dog sick. She said she would email the home office. Maybe it will help.

At the beginning of 2013, Sienna was happy and healthy and weighed 50 lbs. Today she weighs 34 lbs. Sienna is a beautiful retriever, lab, chow mix. She is a great friend and companion. She is now lying beside me dying. I wish she would go tonight in her sleep so she would not have to endure tomorrow. I am so sad.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2013

This past Saturday, September 21st 2013, we put our 12 year old Maltese down. We purchased Beneful Original a few weeks ago, not realizing he would get sick from it! It wasn't until this very minute, upon reading everyone's comments about the product, that I feel this dog food caused his problems. He had the same exact symptoms as the other dogs...vomiting, lethargy and diarrhea. I wish I had read everyone's comments about Beneful earlier. Maybe Gizzy would still be alive right now. I miss him dearly and Purina should pay for the pain and suffering ALL of us have gone through!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2013

I fed Purina Beneful Original dog food to my 4 month old Labrador Retriever on Monday September 15, 2013 and by Friday she was in the vet hospital with kidney failure. The only thing I did any different with my puppy is switch her food to Beneful.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2013

Our dogs have always been Halo dogs. We were traveling and had neglected to pack the food to take with us and ended up having to run to the only store open when we arrived late night in a small rural area. Needless to say, no Halo at a discount superstore. We bought the Beneful. Almost immediately we noticed both dogs, a Boston terrier and Australian shepherd, began scratching excessively. Because of the new area, we thought perhaps they had gotten into some skin allergen in the wooded area. I bathed them both and we restricted their movements outdoors. Next we noticed both of their skin was turning bright pink with flaky patches and even scabs. They were itching constantly. They began losing hair & lots of it! They started throwing up small amounts of dark brown, sticky yuck in the house at random times during the day & began having wetting accidents as well. Their water consumption doubled.

The Australian began whining and crying constantly and clawing at the doors immediately after she was let outside and preferred to stay kenneled nearly all day. Again, we assumed it was something to do with the change in environment. We had scheduled to see our vet upon our return when we realized things were getting really bad with both of them. We fed them both the Halo the day of our return and the pink of their skin was gone by the next morning. The vet said she would never have advised us to feed the dogs Beneful but that if they were eating, drinking and urinating it would be ok to watch them for a bit and not hurry in.

By day 3 back on our food, no more vomiting, no more scratching, and no more lethargy. Their hair began to grow back in after about 10 days. No more Beneful for us. Sad that people who cannot afford or do not have access to quality dog food have no idea that this food could be killing their pets. I am just grateful our problems manifested themselves as they did and nothing more serious, though we have been advised to continue watching them for lingering issues.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

My vet said my 9 1/2 year old retired greyhound Wilber was getting too heavy so I switched his food to Beneful Healthy Weight dog food. Soon after, he started having problems: back pain, loss of appetite, hacky little cough and spells of seeming overly tired. Went to the vet with the back problems and they said maybe a hurt back or a degenerative disease. But he got over it after a time. Then the throwing up started. I heard that hacky cough in the night, that's when he came to get me to go outside. He had thrown up twice in his bed. Took him to the vet the next day and they gave him something for nausea and sent him home. Over the next 4 weeks, he seemed to get a little better everyday. Then he started throwing up again. Five times in about 4 hours.

I was going out of town that weekend so he stayed at the vet for the next four days. He had a fever and need something for nausea and had to be force feed. When I got back in town, he was still very sick but they said he could go home. Next day, he was back at the vet because he was having trouble walking, was very weak and drinking and peeing a lot. They said he was dehydrated, had a high fever and there were crystals in his urine. They gave trans-dermal fluids and put him on antibiotics and sent him home again. It was back to the vet the next day for IV fluids and his fever was down some but he still had one. He has not been eating anything at this point, but still drinking and peeing a lot. Very weak.

Now it's the weekend and I have to take him to the Emergency Animal Clinic for around the clock IV fluids because my vet is not open weekends and they say he needs them. He walked in under his own power but never walked again. He continued to get worse, his kidneys and pancreas stopped functioning. He still was not eating. Still on antibiotics, he started to bleed out and got plasma. Then he had a seizure and got Valium to stop them. He got to the point he could not raise his head and they put him on pain medications. I put him down that Sunday night because he was suffering too much and the vet said he was not going to get better.

After he died, the his blood test came back positive for tick born disease. The Emergency Animal Clinic vet said that his symptoms were not consistent with tick born disease. There was something else going on with Wilber. Now I see the symptoms other dogs have suffered after eating Beneful Healthy Weight and I feel in my heart it was the food that ultimately caused his death. I spent about $3800.00 and it did not save my baby dog. I know he was old but according to the vet, he was healthy and everything looked good at his last wellness visit; he was just too heavy. Even with his back pain, all his blood work looked good.

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information