Beneful Pet Foods
2.54/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Beneful Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1884 Beneful Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

Been feeding my dog this for about month now. Opened a new bag yesterday only had couple meals out of it. Today he totally wouldn't eat it which isn't like him. He eats everything. He's also has got diarrhea, seems thirsty and sleepy.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

I was feeding my dog this dog food when he started to have seizures, which followed to cluster seizures. He now has liver damage and takes anti-seizure medication. I have changed his diet to one supplied from my Vet for dogs with liver damage. He has been so sick from this and has cost us thousands in ongoing vet bills and treatment. We could not figure out how he got the liver damage he has. We put him back onto the food once when we could afford the more expensive Liver Diet food from vets and he started to have more seizures.

We now pay the $120 for the 7kg bag of biscuits and $45 for his wet food regardless of our other bills and commitments as his life now depends upon it. He is a 60kg dog so it works out very expensive. I am beside myself at finding out this food is causing such damage and deaths to our beloved pets. SHAME ON THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

I have never had a bad experience with Purina Brands. I have been feeding both my dogs Beneful and one of them will be 17 years old in May.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

Our dog has been eating Purina Beneful dog food for about a year now. He has been healthy playful and energetic. Running low on dog food we bought a new bag of Beneful and our dog just wouldn't eat it. The color of the new dog food was dull looking and didn't smell the same as the old bag so thinking there may be something wrong with it we discarded it and bought another new bag of Beneful which looked good like the old bag. Our dog began eating again and everything seemed back to normal until just recently when we bought a new bag of Beneful again.

It looked and smelled ok but we had a difficult time getting him to eat it. We started mixing a small amount of Campbell's Beef Stew in with the Beneful and he began eating again but within a few days he began to throw up, slobbering from the corner of his mouth, (he has never done that before), his eyes became glazed, he stopped playing and his breathing became labored and he laid around and slept most of the time. After doing some research we found the stories of Beneful Killing dogs and stopped feeding him the Beneful immediately.

Doing more research my wife started feeding him cooked rice mixed in with cooked ground beef (no Beneful or any other dog food). Within 2 days he was feeling much better. He had a better look in his eyes, he was up playing with his tennis ball this morning, and his breathing is much better. We do hope that we caught it in time and he will make a complete recovery but so far we are very pleased with his progress. DO NOT BUY PURINA BRAND DOG FOODS. They are killing dogs everywhere. We just hope ours is not one of them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

I purchase this food for my German shepherd. She became very sick...lost weight. I called my vet and was told all i could do was coax her to eat by feeding her whatever i could get her to eat. I seen an ad that said they was a recall on the food due to it having metal shavings in it. I took a bowl out of the bag and run a magnet thru it and it was covered in shavings. I call the company and they ask me to send them what I had left. They even sent me a prepaid box. Guess what ...that was over 6 months ago and i still have yet to hear from them. So I told everyone i know not to feed this to their dogs. Happy to report my shepherd is ok. Took two weeks of eating table food to get it all out of her system. Would never use this food again. SHAME ON YOU BENEFUL...hurting our love ones.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

I feed my dog Beneful for 6 months. Larry was full of life and then he was swollen in stomach and lethargic. I took him to the vet twice with temperature. The vet did not diagnose liver was failing. I took him to another vet when he had blood in urine and vomiting. The vet took blood from his swollen stomach and operated on him to find his liver was pus. Larry died on the operating table. He was only 8 years old. Way too young for a kelpie to die. My husband forked out thousands and we cried forever this year. I would like to see justice done to the food company. Suffering caused this way is inexcusable.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

Started feeding this to my 2 dogs in November 2014 one dog got sick in December and died at age 10. I thought the dog died of old age but that's not that old. My 2 year old black lab got very sick and I didn't know why. The dog was smarter than me and refused to eat any more of the food so I switched to another brand and after a week he was back to himself so I was lucky there. Now we are seeing a lot of similar posts how some of them read these before it's too late. And by the way save your empty bags and receipts this will be going somewhere fast.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

He did used to gag and vomit every now and then but I assumed it normal...I think was fiesta blend. It made my dog smell like Fritos. He shed a lot. I changed to brand with no grain and same day the smell it's gone and a week now his coat is soft and smells GONE.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

I have 3 dogs, 2 pekingeses & 1 lab, the end of December 2014, 1 had to go to the vet - costing me $940.00, diagnosed with pancreatic & gastro issues. The end of January 2015 the 2nd was was sick with same symptoms as the first, costing $740.00, and now on February 10, 2015 took our lab to the vet with the same symptoms, cost $900.00, and by the end of the day we had to make a decision, we ended up having to put our lab down. Each vet said this is due to the food they ate within a 24 hr. period. Each dog started with stop eating, vomiting, dehydration, & blood diarrhea. My dogs have been eating Beneful for quite some time. I am not happy with this. I have kept what is left of the dog food they were eating. Hoping to have it tested. This has been very upsetting to me knowing what we feed our pets.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2015

My dog has recently stopped eating all together. I was only adding about two table spoons of the beneful wet food to her ideal balance dry food. Her stomach is making horrible noises, and she won't pee anymore. I am pissed off. I have been reading reviews and if I find out something is wrong with my dogs liver because of this, I am going to sue their butt off. Do not buy this cheap crap!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

Beneful dog food is poison. After giving our two dogs Beneful, one has kidney failure and the other very sick!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

Our beautiful, healthy seven-year old Shiba Inu became extremely sick, with vomiting and refusal to eat. We eliminated items one by one from her diet, but let her keep eating the Beneful veggie-shaped treats she has enjoyed since she was a puppy. At our vet's recommendation we finally put her on a diet of boiled chicken and rice, which seemed to help immensely. It was only after she ran out of Beneful treats that the digestive trouble completely stopped. We thought it was a coincidence until our local store said they would not be carrying Beneful in the future! Aha! Now that she is eating only her boiled chicken and rice with no Beneful veggie-shaped treats, she is fine! We feel awful that she suffered, and we're warning others that Beneful dog treats could make your dog very sick.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

I am really concerned after all the complaints that I have just read on Beneful. I have feed this to my dog since she was a puppy. The last year she has developed a cough or a gag and these past couple of months she has been drinking a lot of water and has had diarrhea and horrible breath. Took her to the vet. They put her on antibiotics and a probiotics. She is 100% better. But after reading all about these complaints about Beneful, she needs food and I am afraid to get it. The vet said nothing about changing her food...What to do?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

This food has caused medical issues and death in 6 of our 7 dogs. We have had masses developed, bladder stone, infections, severe itching, and yesterday it took the life of one of our dogs.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

My 15 year old Siberian Husky has been eating kibbles and bits as well as old roy for most of her life. As age creeps up on her, her breath is bad and her teeth are browning, so I decided to try Healthy Smile for what it was supposed to do for these problems. Instead, the day after her first bowl of food, she started drinking a lot more water. She got weak and has problems standing. She started vomiting and crying when she wants to move. It has been 3 days since I bought the bag of food and after reading all these other comments, the bag is going into the garbage and I am going to get her some kibbles. I would rather smell her bad breath then watch her DIE from some ** dog food!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

My dog died last week, she was 19 years old. I recently switched her to beneful dry and packaged meals. She developed seizures, vomiting occasional and couldn't hold her urine even though she was on a prescription. She got to where she had trouble walking. All of this since I put her on beneful because she would eat better. She developed a tumor on her stomach spleen area that was pressing on her intestines. Then someone told me about beneful's deadly effects from other dog owners. She had been going to animal hospital Pensacola fl so they saw her on a regular basis. Her name was pretty girl, her dr. **.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2015

I usually make my puppy's food, but kept a few cans of beneful's wet dog food in the cupboard in case I ran out of the usual. My 6 month old cockapoo is normally healthy and happy. Last Friday I ran out of homemade food and gave beneful- dog threw up violently, and diarrhea! Completely dehydrated, thought he would die! Nursed him back to health- not knowing what had caused the trauma. A week has passed my son gave him Beneful again, and it happened all over again. I am not sure if it is coincidence but thought it was important to add this in - just in case others had the same problem. I am leaning toward the idea that it is the dog food because twice it has happened.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2015

I bought a bag of Beneful - not our usual brand. After 5-7 days of eating Beneful, Maggie stopped eating, was drinking abnormal amounts of water, became jaundice, and lost bladder control. The vet said she could have eaten a toxic mushroom (unusual for mushrooms in January) or she may have Lepto. (The test results will not be back for another day or two). After 3 days at the vet with IVs I brought Maggie home. A friend suggested I research Beneful online. I am shocked to find out there are many other dogs who got sick with the exact same symptoms after eating Beneful. My vet never mentions the dog food could be the problem. Currently looking for a lab to test the food for heavy metal content or other poisons. I am not sure the food is the cause of Maggie's liver failure but I do intend to find out, especially if the Lepto test comes back negative.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

We have two dogs. We began Beneful and both dogs became sluggish or at least not their normal selves. Over a month we used it. And being winter they lacked much exercise. We lost our Jack Russell last night the same day we heard about the Beneful food issues which we instantly stopped feeding them. The smaller dog the JR started with excessive thirst and urination, some vomiting and then including diarrhea at the end. We thought she was gaining weight with canned food and packaged foods yet we kept giving Beneful too in our ignorance of the issues. The larger dog doesn't show such symptoms, a Shepherd mix dog, both dogs we had for years without problems. Going by the posts and our dogs symptoms, kidney and liver failure was surmised. A no hope situation but we tried and hoped for the best. The info on the Beneful came too late for her, but not for her larger sister bf. We will Never EVER trust Purina again though.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

My Wheaten has been on Beneful for a couple of years now. She is only 3 and started peeing in the house and at night. I brought her to the vet and they thought that she had a weak bladder as it is common in Wheatens, but not usually at that young of an age. They put her on Proin and it seemed to help some, but not totally.

Last week she started not eating and vomiting up everything she did try to eat and drink. She became very weak. I started doing some research and called the vet and he suggested changing her food immediately, which I did. It is only 3 days later and she is doing so much better. It is like her symptoms totally disappeared and she is back to her happy healthy self.

All I can say is I can't prove it was this dog food, but all signs indicate that it was, and I am glad I discovered it as after reading some of these complaints about Beneful Dog Food on this site. Things could have turned really bad for her. Please do not feed your dog this food. Paying for a high quality protein food is worth it if you want a healthy pet. This product should be pulled from all shelves.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

My 10 year old chihuahua started vomiting and had very loose diarrhea the day after a new bag of Beneful Weight Management Dog Food. At first I thought maybe my dog had found something that made her sick. She continued getting very sick. I started feeding her only rice to help her stomach. After days she is starting to get better but 9 year old Boxer started getting sick in the same way. We have thrown out the food and started the Boxer on Rice. We are hoping he starts getting better. I thought Beneful was a good dog food.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

I started feeding my Golden Retriever Beneful Blend when we first got him. He was 1. The first bag we got was fine. He loved it. I picked up another bag and my daughter, who has 2 dogs, picked a bag up on my recommendation. My dog and her 2 dogs got very sick. No more Beneful Blend products for us... I cook my dog’s food now.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

In June 2014, my dog became severely sick. Symptoms were vomiting, bloody stool, yellow eyes, seizures, unable to walk, very thirsty and bloody nose and trouble breathing and bloating. Pnut was only 7 going on 8. In October 2013, I had noticed his ears started getting soars and bleeding on the tips and started curling up. July 4th, took him to vet and they did tests, and his liver enzymes were bad, and Dr said his gallbladder was extended. Dr decided to do surgery and he passed away. All his organs were bad and I was in Complete shock. I can't believe you would sell this poison and all these reviews with pets dying and getting sick. I would like for something to be done. All these deaths and sickness cannot be a coincidence. I had a dead dog with a 2200 hundred dollar bill and something needs to be done!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2015

Mayhem was healthy in late Dec. 2014. She started peeing in the house which was never done before. On 1/17/15 she became acting different. We took he the vet on 1/19/15. She was dehydrated, she was given fluids and antibiotics. Over the next 4 days she deteriorated quickly. Today is 1/23/15 and our baby is gone. Her suffered from Pancreatitis. Her liver and kidneys shut down. We had to put her down.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Beneful dry dog food... 4 1/2 yr Rottweiler, same symptoms: urination, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, very weak. Been at the Vet now since Monday 1/19/15, on IVs & medicine. No improvement. Need class action asap to save other animals from this company Purina/Beneful. This food needs to be off ALL shelves. I stand in dog food aisle to stop people from poisoning their beloved pets.. Someone, please help me stop this company. I would like to talk to everyone on these pages that has experienced the same things. I am Unable to see anyone's contact information on here. So if my information is visible please email me.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

The morning of January 6th my Pekingese started having diarrhea. On January 10th I took him to the vet because the instructions they gave me on the phone weren't working. They tested for parasites, negative. The vet asked if I'd changed his food. I later remembered I'd just changed it to Beneful. They gave him 10 days of antibiotics.

January 16th I took him back to the vet because he still had diarrhea, was weak and walking sideways. They added another antibiotic and some bland canned dog food. Last night I microwaved his food, a tip from the vet, just enough to make it smell good to him. He did eat his food last night. So far today he's resting. I've watched my buddy suffer and have been cleaning diarrhea for 10 days now. I've also paid over $400 in vet bills that I can't afford. All because he ate half of a 10 oz container of Beneful! I've prayed for him in Jesus name that he recovers from this!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

My dog had an allergic reaction to Beneful dog food per vet. He lost a lot of fur on his face, got an eye and eye infection also. Dog was itching his face and ears a lot. Dried his face up pretty bad.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

After reading a horrific amount of complaints about Beneful I am convinced my lab was also killed by this product! I fed her Beneful for many years. At 8 yrs old she became very ill. Started vomiting and became lethargic. I took her to the vet and found her liver was failing and she had a mass in her stomach. $1,500 later I cried for days feeling like I failed her. And now I know why!! I fed her poison!! To make matters worse, I've been feeding my new puppy small amounts of wet Beneful with her good dry food, NOT the grocery store crap. I'm sick to my own stomach thinking I've been feeding this to my puppy! Thankfully only a spoonful 2x a day. I will never buy another purina product!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

My chow, when he eats Beneful dog food, he loses hair, smells awful and has hot spots and sores on him.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

Bought the Large Bag of Beneful small bites dry dog food. Upon opening for my 2 small dogs, I noted something Moving! Poured onto plate to inspect before feeding my dogs, found The whole Large Bag to be laced with maggots!! I thought maggots only fed off living things, Obviously NOT!!! don't understand, but they were definitely Filled with Maggots about one every 5 pieces had a maggot!! It was disgusting I will never purchase this dangerous brand again! Thank God this Dangerous "Food(??)" was Not Fed to My DOGS!! Buyers Beware!!!

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information