2. Pets

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Beneful Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I had recently switched my dogs food because they kept having diarrhea. And one of my dogs kept throwing up. I had fed them Beneful pretty much the entire time I have had them. A few months ago I had called the company because both my dogs had gotten violently ill (frequent diarrhea, vomiting, not wanting to eat or drink, sleeping all day) after buying a new bag, the healthy smiles. I had asked if there was any recalls on this food, thinking it was just a bad batch, and told them how sick they were. I was told there had been no other complaints about the food and they sent me coupons and a bag to fill with the food so they could test it.

I continued to feed them Beneful since my Great Pyrenees is very picky and flips the food bowl whenever she does not like the food. My Chow mix seemed to have had more issues with it where he would throw up a lot (I always just assumed he ate something he was not supposed to since he does that a lot). And gets really dry patches in his skin where he will scratch until it bleeds unless I put vitamin E oil on it. He also has seizures. Now I'm wondering if he actually has epilepsy or if it has been the food causing it all along. I feel horrible for feeding this to them. I just heard about the lawsuit because of what this food does to dogs and now I have been really worried about my dogs. As soon as their vet opens I am calling to get them an appointment to make sure they are okay.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

My Son and I have rescued dogs for about 15 years. I have had four dogs pass in the last 10 years with the same symptoms. Two of the four were puppies under 6 months, one a year, and the last one I lost I had for 13 years a min pin. Looking over my records I was feeding them Beneful at that time. It's strange but we stopped buying Beneful because none of the dogs would eat it. They would vomit, drinking water but not eat. One of the dogs I still have now had similar symptoms. After over $800 and no diagnoses I was asked what type of food and sent home with an antibiotic. I was told he must have eaten a bad plant out of the yard and that was common. I am currently feeding them Purina dog chow and that's the company that makes Beneful so I am concerned so I am looking for a new dog food. We purchase about 250 pounds a month. We have mostly bully breeds and one min pin.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We have 2 dogs. A 6 year old chocolate lab and a 4 year old long hair chihuahua. We've had them on Beneful dry food since we got them. Luckily we haven't experienced any issues like what most of you have described. Although our lab has just started showing dry, itchy skin issues with hot spots, so now I'm wondering about the food. Because of all your post, I will be changing their food immediately! No more Beneful for my babies. I just wanted you all to know because you took the time to tell your stories you probably saved my 2 dogs lives! So thank to each of you and I'm so sorry you are having to go through what you are!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I am sick and just horrified that this happened to my babies. I have been feeding my older boxer Beneful for years. Recently he has had some vomiting issues but I didn't think too much about it as he is otherwise healthy. I got a new boxer puppy back in November and the two of them eat each other's food so I decided probably better they both ate BENEFUL than the old boxer eating puppy food. The puppy has had continual bladder infection, and drinks water like there is no tomorrow. We left and went on vacation and left the puppy at the vets, she ate Science Diet there, and she recovered from the UTI until we brought her home and she started getting sick again, and I can't understand any reason why.....

We took her back to the vet yet another time for bladder infection and this unbelievable drinking water, got ANOTHER round of antibiotics. The vet called us today and asked what we were feeding the dogs. We said BENEFUL and suggested we try another food, said there were some complaints online about this same thing.... I went to town and bought IAMS and that's what they are eating now. I came home and did some research and found all the issues about what is happening with people's dogs, and I'm sickened and horrified that I was killing them both with this food. If you are feeding your dog BENEFUL stop now before it kills them!!!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Our German Shepherd was on Iams for 4 year and noticed she was often gassy after eating. We recently adopted a military K9 Belgian and he had the same reaction to Iams so we decided to try another brand. After visiting the commissary I spoke with a vendor who recommended Beneful and gave me a coupon. It's been 3 bags of food and 6 weeks. We noticed our German was acting funny, very moody/depressed, losing a lot of fur, and drinking a lot of water. Both dogs have been lying around and they usually are high energy dogs. Then our Belgium began itching and we noticed he chewed a chunk out of his side. One of my friends posted about this issue today, I did some research, went and bought Nature's Choice, which was recommended for its ingredients. I came home, have taken this Beneful crap and put it in the garbage where it belongs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I fed my chihuahua Purina Beneful dog food and treats, I have the bags. He began to stop walking, drinking and eating. Vet euthanized him after running a blood test on 11-25-14. My female chihuahua never liked Beneful, so she didn't eat it. She is alive and healthy. We have prior health records on the male chihuahua. He was fine long before he started eating Purina Beneful, but died after eating it.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

My cocker spaniel was experiencing bloody mucousy poop and at times vomiting blood. I had to give her antacids since you could hear her stomach churning, it would wake you it was so loud. I never thought a popular dog food company could be the cause of the problem till I read these stories. Thank God I changed her food to another brand since they had a sensitive stomach formula. I would cry and cry thinking I was losing her but thank God I was a lucky one that she survived maybe just by luck of me changing her food. So sad to hear of those not so lucky if in case this what was causing her health problems!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

The night of Jan. 31, 2015 my 10-year old Lab seemed different - wouldn't take any treat. That morning she threw up all her breakfast and continued this for a couple hours before we decided to just take her in. She has always been on this food so never thought it could be the reason, but after IVs, barium test, blood work, in and out of the vets all week then sent to emergency rooms, and finally, Oakland referral critical care; they started. Ultra sounds, stomach pumped from a gallon of bile, trickle feed and more IVs for a couple days, now bland diets and 6 different meds. 2 weekends later she's still not herself and no one knows why.

All her test seem to show no reason - results say liver size is normal, just slightly coarse in echotexture and hyperechoic, gall bladder moderately distended. Moderate amount of non-organized hyperechoic bile. Now we are cutting back on her meds, hopefully the diarrhea stops and pacing. But she won't ever get this food - can't afford that again. $4000+ later I plan on calling them. TY everyone, just wish I knew of this sooner.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Last April our 9-yr old Shar Pei began drinking lots of water and having diarrhea. He also had 2 episodes of seizure-like activity that could not be explained. I thought he had diabetes because I could see that he had lost weight. I took him to vet and lab work, wasn't terrible, so vet recommended he come back for an US. He went for the US which showed a mass. The vet recommended exploratory surgery since she couldn't tell exactly where mass was. The mass was so large, his intestines were blocked and he had metastatic disease to liver and lymph nodes. He never got to come back home. :( We had fed him Beneful for 7-8 yrs.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I have a 3 year old maltese. She was constantly vomiting, and would cry very loud as her stomach made awful rumbling noises. She also couldn't lay down. Her stomach hurt so much she would pace back and forth. I was told by our vet she had swollen intestines, and a bloated tummy; so I bought her medication. Her intestines became swollen again about 2 weeks later. I switched her food from Beneful to Nutro Ultra which I bought from PetSmart. Almost instantly she was better (once I switched her food). I highly recommend Nutro Ultra, it’s very good for my dog, and she hasn't been sick since.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

After receiving this article about Beneful dog food it's got me thinking. This past thanksgiving my dog past unexpectedly after trouble breathing for about day and a half. He was drinking a lot more than usual for weeks at the time and ate beneful food everyday. And just few weeks ago my fathers' dog died unexpectedly. Was throwing up one day and that night he past. He also ate beneful. We have one more dog that's eating beneful and lately been drinking a lot and eating snow every chance she gets. With the snow, just figure it's normal dogs like to eat snow but now I'm worried. How do I find out if this food was a factor in both my dogs' deaths and is it a problem for our third dog? It hasn't been recalled so I don't know. What if anything I should do. Can someone email me with advice?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

I was feeding my Sheltie Beneful and she ended up getting sick and dying of kidney failure. I had spent thousands of dollars on vet bills for tests and treatments trying to save her but she passed away anyway. I wish I had known about the Beneful epidemic at the time or I would have NEVER fed her that garbage. She would still be alive today if I had done things differently. This happened three years ago and I don't have any saved receipts.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

After over a year of feeding my dog Beneful, he began to vomit and his urine had an unusual smell. When I took him to the vet-- I was advised he is sick and would need medication everyday. As well as lab test on a regular basis to monitor his condition. He's a little 6lb dog and is now 4.6lbs. He refuses to eat and is withering away. His illness is costing a small fortune and has broken my family's heart that our dog's time is limited. Purina must know that adding chemicals to its pet food would have fatal consequences. Although, Purina may not have had intent of awareness of the harm they are causing that is NO excuse for the damage they have caused.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

My 11 year old dog is in the hospital. I bought this brand of food 2 weeks ago at the local Dollar General Store. Afterwards, saw this post & stopped feeding it to her 4 days ago. For the first time ever, she had a seizure this morning. We took her in. They ran blood tests. Her liver is working overtime. Her glucose levels are high, although she doesn't have diabetes. They are doing an IV flush today. :( We live in Ohio. Other than arthritis, she has no other regular health problems. Never has.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

We lost our 12 yr old Rat Terrier on 11/22/14 and know I am shock to see that he had all the same symptoms as I see on here. We never thought it was linked to the food since our 10 yr old Rat Terrier was not effected. We have numerous vet bills to try and treat him at no avail. Our 10 yr old just this past week started to not eat his food right away which he never did before and has been drinking a lot of water. I do some online research and found this web site!! We threw away all the food and went out yesterday to buy a new brand. I will never again trust the Purina Brand name!!! Shame on you Purina, all of these dogs getting sick and dying can't be a coincidence!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

Starting mixing beneful with my dog’s other food for a little variety. Within a week or so she stopped eating and was vomiting bile about every 2 hours. Then it was mixed with blood, and soon after she had blood in her loose stool. When she started to look for food after two days, we started her on rice for a couple of days. Her vomiting subsided and her stool got firmer. I WILL NEVER USE ANOTHER PURINA PRODUCT.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

On or around February 7th, I purchased a bag of the Beneful senior dog food for my 17-year old Miniature Poodle. He's been healthy his whole life and never had issues with his food. I fed him Nutro prior to purchasing the Beneful. I had to buy a different dog food because I was out of his food and the store didn't have the brand I used. I chose the Beneful food because I hadn't heard the reports about it being bad. On February 14, my boy was running around and happy and seemed healthy. On February 15, I woke up to him losing control of bodily functions, also his back end completely gave out on him (he couldn't walk or stand at all.) He wouldn't eat, he drank a little water.

I immediately took him to the vet to see what was wrong. She said his temperature was very high and he was going downhill rapidly. She said we could do x-rays and put him in rehab but him being so old, his chances of making it were very small. I couldn't put him through that, he had a great 17 years. We had to make the decision to send him to a better place. My dog was always fine until I tried Beneful. A week later, he was dead. DO NOT LET YOUR DOG EAT THIS FOOD! I will tell everyone I know and hope your baby doesn't come to the same demise as mine.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

We had a Saint Bernard that was 2 years old when he had his first seizure, it was in December and we had our Christmas tree all set up and decorated. I will never forget the screams that came from the living room. I ran from the back room to find our 185 lb dog having a seizure on our Christmas tree, bulbs busting, tree busted and dog foaming at the mouth and shaking like he was running. The kids were screaming.

I called the vet and they explained to me what to do. I was told to remove the kids from the room, get them into a bedroom and close the door, be sure the dog is safe and doesn't have anything around him that would potentially hurt him. They explained that he could become aggressive after his seizures because he will be confused and not be able to see well. And they were right. MOJO our St Bernard was terrified after this seizure. We were all terrified and didn't know how to handle this.

This continued through the day 5 to be exact, he had 5 more that were just the same - coming on without warning, busting things in the house, and one of them happened in the backyard where he then came at me barking and growling. I had to jump the fence and stay on the outside of yard for at least 5 min until he came to. Clearly we took him into the vet that evening to have his blood drawn and liver checked. The vet said there was nothing they can do, that it must be epilepsy... leaving there confused and feeling at a loss, feeling helpless.

They gave us a prescription for Phenobarbital that we started right away. We were also given Valium, between the two meds our lively happy pup was no longer himself. He was a zombie that we had to help stand up and help outside because he was so drugged he couldn't do it on his own. The meds worked for a short time about a month and then the vet added another med to the mix - potassium bromide. He was now on 10 pills a day to avoid him having 5 and 6 seizures a day. Not to mention that total for all 3 meds was about 300 a month!

This went on for 8 months. He would start having seizures again and they would up his meds. At about the 8 month mark our dog was having about 6 seizures a day and then one day he didn't come out of the seizures. He couldn't see anything and was losing his bowels in the house. He ended up just standing in a corner facing the wall... That is when we had to make a decision, a decision that tore us all apart. We had to decide if his quality of life was worth all of this pain. We took a few days to make this decision because we also at the end of that week we're leaving out of town to see my step sister for testing last time. She had pancreatic cancer and we knew this was gonna be the last time we would see her.

So on top of the sadness we had knowing we were going to lose my sister, we also that same we had to have our sweet MOJO put to rest. RIP MOJO. Before our pup started having seizures we fed him Beneful. I am really disturbed reading this article about the toxins that were in that dog food and that they were allowed to sell it for so long this way. Now, I can't say that the food was the direct cause of dogs illnesses but I can't say that it wasn’t either.

When your dog is having seizures, if a vet can't find the cause then they just call it epilepsy. I do however know that if you are suspicious about a specific toxin you can request a blood test for that toxin and the vet will send it out. But if you're not sure what toxins your pet may have come in contact with your vet will never know what to test for. Usually when a dog is brought in for seizures they check the dogs liver levels and not for direct toxins. I am so sad to have heard this and not known this a few years back. I hope the people can shut this company down with fines.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I see rampant alarmism recently surrounding this product and it annoys me. If you haven't controlled for other variables such as exposure to disease, and haven't systematically ensured your dog eats nothing but Beneful, you can't legitimately claim your dog got sick from it simply from eating it. I am extremely skeptical of the claims that have been advanced. If this class-action lawsuit succeeds due to an investigation that determines the product is harmful, then the brand will be rightfully ruined for all time. If the lawsuit fails and no investigation anywhere shows anything provably wrong with the dog food, then this alarmism will still cause damage unfairly.

I have one dog...love him to death, and he eats nothing but Beneful dry dog food and the odd dog treat or biscuit. When he first started eating solid food, I gave him Beneful puppy food, and then switched to Beneful dog food. He has subsisted on this diet for 5 years. He has never been sick to my knowledge. He is always energetic, has a smooth and shiny coat, does not vomit (unless he drinks water too fast), has solid, normal stool, and when I take him to the vet semi-annually, they always tell me he is absolutely fine (although he should probably get his teeth cleaned at some point). He is an indoor dog and doesn't go out much, but we get enough exercise and he is a healthy weight. In short, he is a healthy dog. I'm going to keep buying Beneful until I see a good reason not to.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

In 08/14 I started my beagle Piper on Beneful dog food and within a week she got very sick vomiting a lot of blood & and bleeding from the rectum. We lost her the next day because her organs shut down. I am very angry that they are able to continue to sell this and why hasn't it been taken off the market?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I started off with 4 dogs (3 mini Dachshunds and a Great Dane). I have been struggling with trying to resolve skin issues, severe bloody diarrhea (in the house), hot joints, bloat, excessive thirst and now peeing in the house. These dogs were in amazing shape and had all their manners and never had issues with housebreaking ever until they got sick. As I have been feeding them Purina Beneful for years and years, I never thought it was the culprit, but these issues started about 2.5 years ago and we have just lost one of our dachshunds to neurological issues/seizures!

One dog has unresolved skin issues (patches missing and black skin) that we cannot get a handle on after trying topical creams and tests. Since he's the only the one we know it's not communicable or parasites. We have 2 dogs that have bloody diarrhea that we can only get a handle on with antibiotics, but then the bloody diarrhea returns within a month after their doses are finished!! My Dane is suffering from swollen feet/toes, skin hot spots and ear issues. I can't believe this is happening! I trusted this company and completely assumed it was something else!! I am going to immediately remove this food from their diet and see if they recover! YEARS OF HELL and suffering though!! But too late for the our little one that passed Thanksgiving 2014.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I purchased a very large bag of Beneful from Meijers in Sandusky. About 3, maybe 4 days, after giving it to my puppy, he became very ill. I took him to the vet and it cost over a grand to get him better. All the symptoms listed, my pup was experiencing! I'm so upset right now. Does anyone realize how much stress that was! My kids, my husband and I were all emotionally exhausted with crying and worrying. I will be obtaining a lawyer!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Last year bought a bag of Beneful chicken dry food. Got home open the bag and it was full of maggots and flies. Called Purina to complain. I was told to bring back to where I had purchased it and they blamed the retail store of course. So I continued to purchase that same food somewhere else. In the mean time received coupons from Purina to compensate for that bag. While eating that food our dog was having little spasms like shaking his head and almost like having seizures. We brought him to the vet and was told maybe he had ear infection and prescribed antibiotics. Then received e-mail from a friend about Beneful so stop him completely from eating Beneful. Hopefully we did in TIME!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Our dog Ares who is a staffy has been violently ill in and out of hospital - vomiting, white gums, lethargic, trouble standing, glazed eyes, losing lots of hair, loss of appetite for 2 weeks now....He has had X-rays and blood tests, been on drips, in and out of hospital and nothing. He is getting worse. We heard of the issues with Beneful and unfortunately that is what he was eating. The food was thrown out Tuesday and 5 days later he is getting worse. The vet has not been able to help and we are desperate as he is getting worse. I'm researching as much as I can about dogs being sick in Australia and any cures, but no luck so far. It is not looking good. We are all beside ourselves. I'm trying to find out any medication that may help him before it is too late.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I did not know how sick food that should be good would make my poor dog so sick. I thought I was buying good food, not some cheap no name brand. Then my poor baby started throwing up everywhere and could barely stand. My kids were scared and thought their dog was dying in front of them. I had to rush him to the vet/animal hospital. By then, he was also turning yellow. The vet ran several tests on him and said he was having liver failure and would have to stay until he was better. 7 days later and hundreds of dollars out of my pocket then vet flushed his body out of the poisonous toxins from the food. SHAME on you PURINA/ BENEFUL.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Pet has had this problem that started at age 4. He has been eating Beneful since he was born. Started with puppy Beneful and moved him up to other Beneful as he got older. Will be visiting the Vet Monday. This should not be happening.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

We were feeding my English bulldog Daisy Beneful for a while after we had her to the vet who suggested Beneful healthy weight, which we started feeding to our beloved dog Daisy. But she was having seizures on and off. She was drinking a lot more water and was not herself. Well on Feb 20, 2015 I got a call from my husband at work crying, "You must come home. Daisy is foaming at the mouth and having really bad seizures," and she never came home. The vet told us she was too far gone to bounce back. We had to do the hardest thing ever. We had to put her down.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I purchased Beneful last week to save a couple bucks. Big mistake. My dog threw up...a lot, for two days. I'm glad I followed my instincts and took it away. He's been fine since getting back on the Iams. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

We fed my pitbull. About a week later he was swell up. After test, x-ray, we spent 2000 and still lost on March 24 2014. I knew it was this stuff that cause it. I'll call the Dr, anything. My heart is broken. Have 2 vet did know what happened to a healthy dog.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I fed my dog Beneful and he started losing his hair. His nails started cracking and he was sick all of the time. This went on for almost a year. After multiple trips to the vet we decided to change dog food brands. He is doing so much better. His nails are healthy, he had more energy and his hair grew back! He is 5 and only ate Beneful for a little over a year. This dog food should be taken off the shelves!

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information