Get Started

2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats

3.7/5 (875 ratings)

About BarkBox

Get ready to spoil your pup with BarkBox! Every month you’ll receive TWO original toys designed in-house (with the help of their dog-obsessed toy experts), TWO full bags of all-natural treats, and ONE drool-worthy chew. Each box is built around a fun surprise theme for all dog & dog parents to enjoy. If your pup doesn’t absolutely love something, BarkBox will make it right, no questions asked!

Pros

• Options for dogs with allergies
  • High-quality ingredients
  • Customized to your dog’s size

Cons

• Subscriptions renew automatically

Bottom Line

BarkBox provides a fun monthly subscription box with treats and toys for your dog. While you can’t cancel a subscription early, there is a month-to-month option available.

Top BarkBox Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Mabel our pup loves her BarkBox. She always knows when a package is for her and gets so excited when she sees it! We love the variety of treats as well as the “allergy” option to ...

Verified

My dog absolutely loves all of the treats they send out. I’ve been having trouble with her breaking all of the toys however I just spoke with a representative [and] they are also ...

What is BarkBox, and how does it work?

BarkBox is a monthly toy and treat subscription box for your dog. You can purchase a 12-month, six-month or month-to-month subscription plan, and BarkBox delivers a new box straight to your door each month.

When you set up your subscription, you have an opportunity to let the company know your dog's size so you receive correctly sized toys. You can also alert BarkBox to any allergies your dog has to ensure the company sends appropriate treats.

What comes in a BarkBox?

Each BarkBox includes two toys, two bags of treats and one chew. You can add an extra toy to your box for $9 more each month. BarkBoxes are centered on a new theme each month — past themes include Chewrassic Bark, New York City, an ’80s-themed Throwback Thursday box and a Grinch-themed Christmas box.

barkbox

BarkBox toys: BarkBox's in-house designers plan out its line of brand-exclusive toys. The toys may include stuffing, squeakers or crinkle material.

BarkBox treats: BarkBox develops and makes its treats and chews in the U.S. with high-quality ingredients. You can customize your box to exclude any ingredients your pup may be allergic to, like chicken, turkey or beef.

How much is BarkBox?

BarkBox subscriptions start at $22 a month, but the price varies depending on the length of the contract. Your dog’s size does not affect BarkBox’s prices.

SubscriptionMonthly Price
12-month$23
6-month$26
Month-to-month$35

BarkBox FAQ

Is there a toys-only BarkBox?
BarkBox does offer all-toys and all-treats boxes. You have the option to completely tailor your box to whatever best fits your pup.
What is Super Chewer by BarkBox?
Super Chewer is a monthly subscription box for dogs who are tough on toys. Just like the original BarkBox, each box contains a mix of toys and treats, but each toy is designed for dogs with heavy chewing tendencies. Super Chewer subscriptions are slightly more expensive than standard BarkBox subscriptions.
Are BarkBox treats OK for dogs with allergies?
At sign-up, you can indicate if your dog has a common food allergy, like chicken, turkey or beef. If your dog has a less common allergy, you can contact BarkBox to ask about creating a custom box.
How do I cancel BarkBox?
If you sign up for a multiple-month subscription plan, you are unable to cancel early. However, you can turn off auto-renewal at any time and your boxes will be canceled after your current subscription plan has ended.

Is BarkBox worth it?

If you regularly spend money on treats and toys for your dog, we think BarkBox is worth it. The subscription plan ensures your beloved pet gets a new batch of toys each month and makes it simple for you by delivering the goodies straight to your door. The cost of the box is less than the value of the items, so BarkBox helps you save money and time on toys and treats.

BarkBox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Original review: July 16, 2021

My dog gets so excited when he sees his BarkBox. The quality of the products is top notch and the monthly themes are so clever. They make humans laugh and canines literally jump for joy. They also will customize the toys and treats to your dog. I have a dog that doesn't love the tiny soft treats but goes crazy for jerky, so his box now has more jerky treats. And when a box hasn't arrived, they immediately send out a replacement.

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2021

Don't know who gets more excited, me or the girls. Great themes, quality toys... even for heavy duty destructors, like my girls. Can't imagine canceling the subscription, at least until they become old farts.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Many reviews here address the December shipping disaster. It took me almost two months to get a BarkShop order with shoddy tracking (it was all the shipping partner's fault). BarkShop refunded me immediately which was nice! Then when the package arrived, it was missing the key item (the rest I added on for free shipping). They did give me a complimentary BarkBox to try out in that package though. I worked with customer service over live chat to get the toy sent to me without a shipping charge. I did take a bit to pry it out of them but not every company would do that! The second order arrived in a much more timely fashion which tells me the previous situation was a COVID/Holiday season fluke. All of the toys are of high quality and I'm very happy with them. The experience was a mixed bag but I'd have no problem ordering from BarkBox/Shop again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

Domino absolutely loves her Bark boxes! It has been so hard to find toys that she both likes and can’t destroy in 5 seconds. We are so glad that we heard about y’all! So far her favorite has been the wrench, she carries it everywhere, even to the vets office!

Original review: July 21, 2021

I ordered a six month subscription for $150. The first box was left abandoned in the lobby of my apartment building. The second was found in the hall my apartment is on but nowhere near my apartment. The third box never came. I contacted customer service to complain, so they cancelled my subscription. I asked why so they said they’d give me three free boxes for my trouble. I never got those either. It feels like I got scammed.

BarkBox response

Hi Travis. Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback with us. We want to sincerely apologize for the state in which the first two boxes were delivered, as well as for the missing third box. This certainly is not the type of service we wish to provide any of our customers. We can't apologize enough that your pup has been left waiting on all those monthly goodies. We would love the opportunity to look into this further and find the best solution to ensure you and your pup are well taken care of. Please keep a look out for a direct message from our team via Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

The box itself is great, and our dog loves the toys that come with it. He is definitely an extreme chewer, and they hold up very well. My only complaint is the shipping time. Once the product ships, it's always 2+ weeks for us to actually receive it. The tracking information is very vague, and it seems like it sits in the same place for several days during the shipping process.

BarkBox response

Hi Rhonda! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback around your Super Chewer experience! While we are so happy to hear that the toys are a great fit for your pup, we sincerely apologize for the frustration caused by shipping delays and tracking updates. We certainly understand the concern you feel and this truly is not the experience we hoped for you and your special pup. We would like nothing more than to make this right for you as soon as we can. Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so we can assist further!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Stay away from BarkBox! I ordered a 5 or 6 month gift subscription for my nephew and his wife's pups. They had my credit card on file and charged me for 13 months. What started out as a $149.99 a month subscription ended up at $199.99 a month for 7 additional months. They did refund the final month when I realized what they were doing. Bad Dogs!

BarkBox response

Hi Edward. Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback. We want to sincerely apologize for the frustration caused the auto renewal of the plan you gifted to your family. It certainly was not our intention to catch you off guard with that charge but we do understand the concern this has caused. We want to ensure this is cleared up and resolved for you as soon as possible. Please be on the look out for a direct message from our team!

Resolution response: Jan. 16, 2021

I contacted customer service and they responded within a couple of days and took care of my problem which I really appreciate. I wasn’t expecting that at all. As long as they work with their customers in this way, I think they have a great thing going. Many dogs seem to enjoy the treats and toys, in fact I saw a couple of boxes a friend of mine got so I tried it, but my pit bulls are just really finicky. Thank you for your help and support BarkBox!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

If you sign up for this please understand that you CANNOT CANCEL your monthly charges or shipments, even if you are unhappy. They do not care. My dogs liked 1 little item out of the whole box. I thought, like every other company that exists, that I could receive a shipment and at least try it for 7 days to find out if the product was good. Definitely not that way with this company. I would have been happy to even pay the following month while I wait for them to stop the charges but they said no, they have to continue charging me for the whole year.

I tried to get my son's dog to eat the smelly treats but she wouldn't either. NOT WORTH THE MONEY. I am going to my bank this weekend to cancel my debit card since I have no other choice. Would have been VERY HAPPY to pay the $25 per month if my dogs liked it - that was why I tried it (or thought I was "trying" it). This is very bad business practice.

BarkBox response

Hi Avary! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback. We are so sorry to hear your pups did not enjoy the items in their first box. This definitely is not the fun experience we had hoped for your pack. We also want to sincerely apologize for any miscommunication on our end of things. We do offer our Scout's Honor guarantee which promises to replace any items in your box that your pups can't have or don't love. We also never want to make our customers feel locked into a subscription that is not a perfect fit for their pack. We would love the opportunity to make this right for you! Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so we can help further!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Please do not waste your money on product. Poor customer service. Messaged to cancel several times and still continue to take money. For small dog send toys that bigger than dog. Dog won't eat the nasty treats.

BarkBox response

Hi Bert! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback. We are so sorry to hear about this experience. We completely understand your frustration with the items not being the perfect fit for your special pup and we would like nothing more than to make this right for you and your pack. Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team and we will be sure to resolve this right away!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I tried out a 6-month subscription with this company and have yet to receive my first box. It's been over two months since signing up and they sent me an email wondering why they couldn't charge me for the 2nd month's subscription payment. I canceled my card so that they couldn't. They still have not sent out the first box and have been promising to do so countless numbers of times. I believe, whole heartedly that they do not have the consumer in their best interest. Subscribers be aware!

BarkBox response

Hi Susan! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback. We are so sorry to hear that you and your pup are still waiting on that first box. We also want to apologize for any frustration caused by messages regarding your payment. This definitely is not the type of experience we had intended for you and your pack and we would like nothing more than to make this right for you. Please be on the lookout for a direct message from our team so we can assist further!

BarkBox Company Information