3.45/5
Based on 1,067 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Banfield Pet Hospital

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2012

Cat teeth cleaning gone wrong - I took my beloved cat into Banfield to have his teeth cleaned. He had it done once before, but was fine. This time, they could not revive him after the procedure and he died. They said they think he had a heart condition. I have been taking him to Banfield since he was 6 weeks old. Shouldn't they know if he had a heart condition? He was seen at a regular visit less than a month before (I have the plus plan) and they said he was fine. I'm so distraught about this. I'll never take another pet there.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2012

My dog suffered salmonella poisoning last month. My vet (not Banfield) put her on prescription dog food for now. The only place to get food was from PetSmart. I had to go through Banfield to acquire food. I returned the bag of dry food due to my allergy to fish oil. 3 weeks after I returned the food, Banfield corporate office marketing department called me asking if I would consider home delivery. After telling her my dilemma, I asked her to remove my number from their database. I explained the security risk due to my husband's employment. She assured me she removed it. I called back within 20 minutes and my number was still in the database.

I asked to speak to someone in a managerial position in the corporate office. I was sent to 3 different departments that could not help me. The receptionist hung up on me after the 3rd attempt! I used the name registry to finally get to a CEO. While on hold, Banfield's marketing stated every 6 months, vet visit is required to maintain pets' health. What a scam! My dog has gland issues so I must frequent my vet, but other than that, a once a year visit is all that is recommended. Anyone who takes their pets to this establishment deserves what they encounter! This company cares nothing about you, your pets or your safety. It is all about the almighty dollar! I have weaned my dog off the wet food because I refuse to enter PetSmart for any reason including toys for my dog! Beware of the company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2012

My daughter took her pet puppy Nila to Banfield Animal Hospital in Waterbury, CT on August 2nd, 2012 at 2PM because she was vomiting continuously. They checked her out and sent us home with nausea medicine. No more than an hour later, she slowly got worse so I called them back three separate times and they would not help. We took her to an all-night animal hospital, who decided she must be kept overnight after taking x-rays. By 4:30 the next morning, we were told Nila had to be put down because they could not stabilize her heartbeat, and $2,000 later, she was gone and the entire family is devastated. What can I do to make Banfield pay for this please?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2012

We adopted a foster mother and her kittens. From the start, we took them to Banfield. One of the kittens started throwing up. At first it was occasionally, then weekly, then daily and finally multiple times a day. This progression was over a period of five years (and three completely unrelated Banfields). Last month, my precious kitten (we still call them that) died because they failed to diagnose him properly all those years so he went untreated. When we were finally told about a specialist (from another vet, not Banfield), it was too late. If you love your animals, never use Banfield.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2012

My dog got sick around 2:30am the other morning. I took him into a 24-hour emergency care veterinarian around 3am since Banfield was not open. So we got home a few hours later. I followed the recipe the vet gave me for a bland diet and he seemed to be doing fine for most of the day. Around 5:30pm, my dog puked again on my kitchen floor. So, I called Banfield since they were still open until 7pm to explain what was going on and see if I should bring my dog in to be seen. After explaining the situation to the girl who answered the phone, I was asked, "So why are you calling?" when I told her I wanted to get some advice and wanted to know if I should bring my dog in to get looked at. She replied, "Well, we're closing in like an hour." I said, "So, is that it?" Her response was, "Well, yeah." I never got her name but I thanked her for being completely useless and helping me determine that I didn't want or need their services any longer.

When I called back 10 minutes later to cancel my membership, it was a different girl on the phone and I was told that they could not do it in the store and I had to call their 1-888 number. So long story short, it was too inconvenient for them to provide my dog with a service that I was paying for which led me to cancel my service. And I had to pay for that too! They charged me $320.01 for fees of services rendered to my dog during that plan year (which was his initial examination) that would have been covered while he was on their plan. But since I was prematurely cancelling my 12-month contract, I had to pay for those services my dog received minus the $49.95 of my first monthly payment. So all in all, they didn't want to do their job and I had to pay them $270.06 to get rid of them.

I know that Banfield is a nationwide company and just because one location is messed up doesn't mean they all are but that is a little unfair. I just want to share my experience to help other potential customers make an educated decision. Do yourself a favor and go to Google and look up "pet insurance reviews". You can find adequate and fair priced plans to cover your pet and if you still end up going with Banfield, then I hope your location is awesome because I know that the one on Temecula Parkway in Temecula, California isn't.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: July 30, 2012

I found a kitten outside late one night and brought her into Banfield the next morning. Since I have another cat, I made sure to keep them separate. After paying $300 at Banfield, she was diagnosed with fleas (she didn't have them) and an upper respiratory infection. I noticed that her ears were very dirty and she had bald patches on her feet and legs. I chalked it up to a rough couple of days in the wild. Banfield didn't mention anything, so I figured all was well. A few days later, my friend wanted to bring her 3 year old son over to see the kitten. I called Banfield and they reassured me that she was not contagious to humans.

Two days later, after doing some research, I figured out that the kitten had ear mites. I called Banfield to ask why nobody had looked in her ears and they said (and I quote), "We do not typically look in an animal's ears unless they are having problems." I wanted to bring her back in, but they were going to charge me for another office visit, so I took her to another vet. As soon as the receptionist at my new vet's office saw the kitten, I was informed that she had a severe case of ringworm (thus, the bald patches of skin). They couldn't believe that Banfield hadn't diagnosed it 6 days ago because it was so severe. She also had ear mites!

Now, I have ringworm, my husband has ringworm, our other cat has ringworm (from us!) and my friend's son has ringworm. It's a nightmare! Banfield refuses to admit their mistake. Stay away from Banfield in Paramus, NJ.

Original review: July 27, 2012

I paid for Banfield Wellness plan for 12 months for my pet and initiated the plan via phone. We didn't discuss all these rules about the plan. I renewed the plan on 7/8/12 and it was due for renewal on 7/13/12. My pet was stolen the same day, on 7/8/12. I discovered my one office visit under my plan was $331.79, so over the cost of the yearly cost of $312. I spoke to the actual Banfield Clinic in Orland Hills, where my dog was seen at, and they stated they do not deal with the plan. I spoke to several representatives with Banfield Wellness plan and they all gave conflicting info. I was originally told that if I transferred a new pet on the plan within 90 days, I wouldn't pay a new membership fee, and plan would start over.

I called again on 7/27/12 to transfer my new puppy on the plan and was told this only applied if my previous dog had died. I requested to speak with a manager and was disconnected four times. Finally I spoke to Andrew who told me there were no managers to deal with complaints regarding contracts, and they were the corporate/district office not being under any other guidance. My issues are that my dog was stolen and my family, including my young children, is still grieving the lost under 4 weeks ago at this time. This is an awful experience and feeling to not know where your pet is, and Banfield Wellness, that claim they are for pets, had no sympathy or empathy for my position. I have researched and found that their prices are higher than the cost of other vets; dogs do not need to come every 3-6 months for checkup/shots like they recommend. They don't cover the animal if they are sick so you will pay out of pocket with the addition of paying your monthly charge. The plan doesn't cover wellness meds such as heart worm, flea and tick ointments; doesn't cover meds – only gives a discount rate of like $1-$2.

Also, the plan doesn't cover additional recommended exams outside of plan – worm/fecal tests. The plan also increased by $1 in one year from $24.95 to $25.95 per month. I believe if your dog is stolen or lost and you purchase another dog within a certain time frame, you should be able to transfer plan/discount – something to assist you with these issues. I have been told that, “Oh well, there are no exceptions to the rules and you have to pay for a dog you don't have, plus pay another membership and fee for a new dog.” There are contracts and rules, but when a company will not bend or make any exceptions to satisfy their customers… This is a business I will never patronize again and will not recommend to anyone else. And maybe they feel like this is just one customer so they don’t care, but word of mouth is bigger than businesses know.

Original review: July 24, 2012

My dog was sick. I told the vet on Monday, the 16th of July, that my dog was vomiting for 3 days. The vet at Banfield ordered blood work and x-rays, along with IVs/meds, which totaled nearly $1,100.00 in regular fees, then sent me home with meds never telling me to bring Lucy back if the symptoms continue. I was just told to bring her back on Sunday. On Thursday, I had to bring her back in as she was severely dehydrated. The vet again ordered more of the same - blood work and x-rays, along with IVs and fluids. I declined the x-rays as I told him we just had an x-ray done 3 days ago and the professional third party examiner found nothing. My dog hasn't eaten since this time, so what is the point of the x-ray? It was just another $220 in charges toward in fees for nothing.

So on Thursday, I had a new bill for $315.00 in regular fees for blood work, office visits and meds and I was still no closer to knowing what was wrong with my dog! I was told to bring her back for more of the same on Friday. However, my gut instinct told me to start over with a new vet, even though I had the Wellness plan that my wife entered us into for 1-year worth of premium that offers discounts at Banfield. Once I told the new vet at Aloma Jancy what I had been through and the amount of time that had passed where my dog was vomiting, he cleared the schedule and did an emergency exploratory surgery, where he found a complete blockage due to a perforated intestine and lesions growing inside the intestine.

Lucy died the next day. She was too weak and had too many days of toxic bacteria exiting her intestines into her cavity. The vet at Aloma Jancy asked why didn't Banfield order Barium, it would have shown the blockage on the x-ray. I feel the reason they didn't order Barium is due to profits. If Banfield ordered Barium and an x-ray on Monday, they can't bill me out for multiple days' worth of x-rays, blood work, hospital stays and other fees/meds for more visits. In order to maximize their profits from my case, they need to keep ordering in-house x-rays and blood work and drag the case out as long as possible, then finish the case with Barium or a Sonogram and an exploratory.

If they ordered the Barium or a sonogram or an endoscopy on Monday, the blockage would have shown up and the only thing left to bill for would be an exploratory. I feel Banfield's corporate attitude is to make as much as possible from each case and to do that isn't in the pet's best interest. When I asked Banfield Oviedo why they didn't order Barium, they had no answer. Both Aloma Jancy Animal Hospital and Shaffer Animal hospital said that Barium is always done on the 1st day when a case like mine comes in. I have read of Banfield's online reviews and I'm not alone in my feelings of their care.

Original review: July 16, 2012

I took the dog in on July 2 for a comprehensive exam. They kept her all day and I told them not to give her any more than 1 or 2 shots since she is around 10lbs. I said I would bring her back as many times as it took for the shots. When I went to pick her up, she was given a clean bill of health and said she was all set. Two days later, she was all black and blue under her belly. I went back and they said we don’t know what could have caused it; maybe she had cancer or something. We took her to another vet. We told them they gave her 3 vaccinations and the vet said her blood platelets were dropping so low, she was hospitalized. So, the hospital did all kinds of testing and found nothing wrong with her. But the vaccines that they mixed could have done this and lowered her Immune system down to nothing. She could have died.

So now, Banfield Hospital will not admit or say they could have made that mistake on her. Now I have $2,000 of bills that I have to pay for and now she will never be able to get vaccinated again. I only know that she went in healthy and came out very sick and could have died. I really don’t know what to do. I hope somebody out there can help me get this situation straightened out and I can get compensation on this matter somehow. I have all the bills and pictures and documentation. Thank you.

Original review: July 13, 2012

I am cancelling my pet health insurance policy with them and I was told that I owed money for the services they had me bring the pets in for and if I did not pay, I would be put in collections. I never heard of such a thing in my life. It's outrageous and illegal also.

Original review: July 3, 2012

I had a concern about a blood work that they did on my dog. Some things did not look right, so I called the Banfield hospital in Roseville, MI to set up an appointment with the vet there. When I had set up an appointment to see the doctor, there they put me in a room to discuss it. The doctor and the manager there came in the room and as soon as I opened up my folder to discuss the blood works, the doctor immediately said to me, "It's over and done. I do not want to talk about it. It's done and finished." She told me my dog was not her patient anymore and she no longer wanted to see my dog. I was so surprised and in a daze when she said that and she walked out of the room, never gave me an explanation or anything and I felt like I wasted my time. I felt so hurt for my dog. I don't mind if she's mad at me, but don't take it out on my dog! He did nothing wrong!

I was concerned about this blood work since my dog was diagnosed with cancer. If we could have prevented this from happening, maybe this blood work was a good sign she's guilty. After two meetings with the top manager, I'm no longer allowed in that Banfield anymore. I cannot step a foot in that hospital. How cruel! She told the manager that she feels that I don't trust her well after seeing a blood work where something looks wrong. Right after my dog was diagnosed with cancer, how can you trust her? She just clams up and freezes when she hears my name! This is a free country. I'm allowed anywhere I want to go, but this hospital has banned me from going there. I cannot even get a refill for my dog's medication! How cruel can you be!

This hospital is so close for me and was convenient. Now I have to drive a half hour to a different Banfield hospital. That is fine with me, they treat me better there and with respect! I would never in my life tell any of my friends or family to go to that specific Banfield. I will make sure that they don't. Very poor service and very cruel to me and my dog, and very uncooperative! I'm very upset with this hospital and believe me I will never step a foot in it again!

Original review: June 26, 2012

I ordered my pet heartworm meds from 1800PetMeds. After they received the order, I got a return email in which said they couldn't get a prescription from my doctor. I pay a monthly fee to this company to ensure that I get the best quality service. I contacted the vet at Camp Creek Marketplace. A lady by the name of Shirley answered the phone. She attempted to explain to me what was the issue. When I replied to her that my pet was there last month for a complete work up so there should be no reason for them to deny his prescription, she placed me on hold for almost a minute and came back to the line attempting to rush me off the phone.

By doing this, she stated she will have her manager call me. I asked to speak with Dr. **. At this time, Shirley stated she was the only one there. She was very rude and didn't want to listen. I finally managed to tell her, as she continued to rush me off the phone, that they gave a prescription the last time I ordered it and my pet took his last heartworm meds on June 18. I left a private vet for Banfield with the idea that it has better environment for animals. This is very disappointing and I won't stop at this complaint if I can't get this situation rectified. There is no need for the poor customer service and lack of doctors who aren't available to help understand the issues.

Original review: June 25, 2012

Megan - I recently took my 6 year old Labrador to Banfield because I thought they were a credible organization. Was I ever mistaken? And unfortunately my pet is no longer with us. I went in just to get vaccinations and ended up with a deceased pet. After informing them of what happened, they had the nerve to call me back and told me I still owe them money for the vaccines but they would waive the doctor’s visit. I have never been so angry in my life. If you love your pets, do not take them to this organization.

Original review: June 16, 2012

My cat went in for his comprehensive exam. I picked him up; everything was fine, The girl that checked him out, really didn't have customer skills (sign of the times, I guess). As most people know, cats do not like to be out of their element. The next day, I was at a car repair shop. I got a call, from a vet at Banfield, informing me that Animal Control will be contacting me, as my cat bit a tech. What? She knew nothing about it either. So, she did some investigating (also told me); it happens quite a bit in their line of work. No incident reports, the person that got bit, decided to go to her doctor & reported my cat. So, Animal Control is making my cat stay in a pen at Banfield for 10 days! He is a nervous wreck & miserable! All of his vaccinations are up to date. This whole thing is just wrong. We rescued him. As a baby, he was thrown out of a car. He weighed 1-2 oz. So this is no fun for him. I just wanted to say something, as our household is very sad, & so is our little man!

Original review: June 15, 2012

My puppy is on the puppy plan at the Richmond, VA Petsmarts. I took her into the Chesterfield location for her last check-up on 6-14-2012. I was informed when I received her she had an ear infection and needed medicine. I was never asked if I wanted the medicine. They essentially cornered me in to buying the stuff. My family has a white boxer who is prone to ear infections so I am well aware what one looks like, smells like, and how the dog behaves when they have one. My puppy did not have an ear infection. After $74 of medication, the doctor comes out to say the infection was mild and only seen in 2-3 cells but they wanted to make sure the infection would go away.

I knew this was crap and questioned them. I then gave them a call when I left and looked in my dog's ear that does not have an ear infection. I asked if I could come back in and return the medicine because it was not needed. They stated I would need to speak to a manager. I have now called six times and left messages with no response.

Original review: June 12, 2012

I took my 5-year-old German shepherd in on a Sunday because my options were limited and my dog could not urinate. In 15 minutes, the doctor came up with $1,300.00 worth of tests to do. He also managed to hurt my dog and establish a poor relationship with him. I think he did this on purpose so he can tell me he has to put him out to do any testing. Anyway, he negotiated a lesser amount where he was just going to do everything he recommended except an x-ray. We waited for over a week for the test results, basically being blown off by the staff on a daily basis. He was on vacation and I bet they didn’t know what to say because he took it upon himself to eliminate some of the tests like a urinalysis.

The long and short of it is we went to a real vet and my dog loved them and will take any amount of poking and probing without even raising a lip. They at least act like they care. Banfield never even made the effort to act like they care or even follow up on his condition. I will be happy to join any class action suit against this company. The Banfield I dealt with was in Norwalk, CT.

Original review: June 9, 2012

I brought my dog in to Banfield. I was talked into taking the wellness plan. I originally brought in my dog to get a rabies shot and to get checked for some swelling in the belly. The doctor came back with a bill of $700, so I went ahead and signed her up to the plan, then they ran tests and updated her shots and all. The vet then came and told me that my dog has heartworms and needs to be treated. Well, I thought about it for a while and asked for an alternative. Then, he said that he would send out the test again to lab this time to be sure.

I called in a few days later and the nurse said the lab test came back negative. A few days later, the doctor called me to tell me the test came back positive. Now, mind you, this extra service is not covered under the wellness plan. Well the doctor said that I had to pay $1k for the treatment. I told him there was no way. Then, he told me to come in to the office to discuss other options and told me that the alternative is $200. I then told him no, that I could not afford that. Then he pulled out a pamphlet; they did not say anything else about it. I did not feel comfortable about it either. I was watching the news and saw that they were doing a report for Animal Welfare. I was like, “Well, what can it hurt to get another opinion.”

Well, the doctor ran the test and it came back negative. And all I had to pay for the visit was $24, and $30 for the test. The way it makes it look, is that Banfield is out to get your money - no concern for the pet. The heartworm treatment is like putting arsenic in your dog, not once but twice. Why make him or her to go through that is horrible treatment. It is cheaper for me to go to a private vet than Banfield and the wellness plan.

Original review: June 6, 2012

They took money out of my account without my permission! We had to take our dog to the vet because she had a dislocated back leg. They convinced me to use the wellness plan because supposedly it would save us money. I have since gotten a new vet and told them I didn't want the plan anymore and my account information was changed so they didn't have access to it. Yet today, I found a $119.95 charge on this account from them 6 months later trying to take my money.

Original review: May 25, 2012

I went to the Missouri City location to get my corgi's heartworm medication. The first time I waited 8 minutes while the employee talked on the phone and did not acknowledge me. The second time I waited 5 minutes and finally had to ask a store employee to go to the back and get someone to help me. The woman came out and put the name in the computer and informed me that my dog had not been there since 2009. I explained that the dog has a wellness plan and was just seen by the vet two weeks ago. She was not convinced that I was correct. This has happened over and over again. I went to the Sugar Land store and the employee there told me that they entered the dog's name incorrectly - “Dutchess” instead of the correct spelling “Duchess”. Also, I am not happy with Pet Hotel. My dog has gotten ill the last two times and both times the vet at Banfield tried to insist that she did not get sick at the Pet Hotel. I have moved to a private vet and cancelled the wellness plan.

Original review: May 22, 2012

I left my dog for a wellness exam. She is medium size. No tech was available so they asked me to bring her back and put her in a cage. I said "this cage is too small". They said they would move her. The back smelled horrible like they never clean the cages or floor. I didn't want to leave, but had already paid the few hundred dollar plan. They said pick the dog up in an hour or so. I went back 4 times, still the lady had not been seen. Finally, I picked her up before closing and she started coughing profusely. She was so sick coughing mucus and coughing all night. I brought her back, they said no way they gave her the cough. My perfectly healthy dog is now sick. Very sick. After a week of complaints, I brought her back and raised hell so much that they gave me, for free, some cough medicine. Oh aren't they so nice? I will never go back. They also said they spayed her and tried to charge me when in fact, she was never spayed. Terrible customer service and overall experience.

Original review: May 22, 2012

I am very frustrated! I am paying $25.95 a month as part of the Banfield wellness plan. This includes most of my dog’s vaccines and doctor visits. Every time I would go into the vet, Dr. ** would repeatedly try to up-sell me so I had additional fees upon checkout. In February, my dog was over-vaccinated by Dr. ** at Banfield (in PetSmart). Due to this over-vaccination, my dog nearly died. I came back to the vet not too long after because blood was in his urine. Dr. ** said he immediately had to get a blood transfusion at the hospital and he may not make it. What? My dog was perfectly healthy before I began taking him to Banfield! He is an indoor dog and is never exposed to the outside! She kept stating, "Well, I don't know how something like this could happen." To make a long story short, I spent over $2,000 that week in hospital bills. The hospital saved my dog. I will never go back to Banfield. Banfield is demanding I still pay this monthly fee. Please help.

Original review: May 21, 2012

Saturday, I took my 1 1/2 year old healthy bouncing happy shih tzu in for her wellness check. Notice to all! If a vet requires you to leave your pet where you have no control over what is being done to them, find a new vet! I left little Lucy just at 9am. When I left her, I provided to them the information regarding her shot records and what boosters were needed. The email from another vet was shown to the individual checking us in. I was told a nurse would contact me and talk to me before anything was done. This did not happen. I finally called around 2:30pm in the afternoon and was told to come get Lucy in about an hour. I got there only to be told my Lucy has had an allergic reaction to her vaccines and the vet kept saying there was no record of an allergy to her vaccines.

After much addition questioning, I found out that additional unauthorized vaccines were administered, i.e. leptospirosis! I did not and would not have authorized this! Read up on this vaccine and its use. As you read, and read the high risk, please remember that I have a 10 lb. white regularly groomed shih tzu! She doesn't run in the woods or swim in the local creek! She's in the house 90% of the time! I finally was allowed to take Lucy home at 6:30pm. Before I got her in my car, she started vomiting. She continued to do so, on me in the car and again once I got her in the house. Her inflammation around her eyes was also returning. I called the vet back. They had me bring her back in for more steroid injections. We went in for a wellness check that was supposed to be covered by the insurance plan. They gave her an unauthorized injection, and then charged me $240 for their error! You have to pay or you don't get your pup!

By 1:30 am Sunday morning, we were in the Emergency Vet office. In addition to severe lethargy, Lucy was now pooping blood all over the house. The vet provided Lucy subQ fluids, antibiotics to assist with gastro issue caused by the trauma to her little system. He really hoped this would end the saga. Sunday, little Lucy continued to be lethargic. She refused all attempts to provide food and water. My Lucy is now admitted at the ER Animal Hospital. The outcome of this veterinarian’s maverick decision to provide my pet an unauthorized and unwanted vaccine is yet to be seen. This is such a horrible situation. There is no price tag for Lucy, but we're up to almost $1,000 at this point. Exercise caution people! Never ever leave your pet. Banfield requires it for the annual visit! This vet needs to lose her license! If anyone can help me make that happen, let me know!

Original review: May 16, 2012

I signed up my two cats for the Banfield Optimum Active Prevention plan, which includes dental cleaning. But when I tried to set up an appointment, Banfield is always booked. No openings. Tough luck. What good is this plan when they don't want to perform the service after you have purchased the plan? My advice: Don't sign up!

Original review: May 12, 2012

A year ago, I signed up for the puppy plan with Banfield for our new puppy. I figured it was convenient and reasonable for the services they received. We always had a good experience. Then 3 weeks ago, my other dog started having diarrhea and blood in her stools. We took her to Banfield - biggest mistake of my life. After taking her back twice and having every test possible, they could not seem to find anything wrong with her. Meanwhile, she had lost over 4 lbs between her 2 visits and she was still having diarrhea and bloody stools. Five days after the 2nd visit, she got worse, she was only having blood, no stools. I immediately called and after spending more than $700 over the past 2+ weeks, I explained I could not afford to spend another $300+ and asked if I could make payments. Absolutely not!

Obviously, I was willing to pay. I just could not afford it all at once. You would think they referred me to an emergency vet that actually had worse service than Banfield and also did not take payments. I spent the day trying to find someone to see my dog. Finally, I found a local vet to see her. She ended up having major abdominal surgery that night. She had an "endoceception" and had to have her cecum removed. They told me had I waited, it would have been very bad and her bowel may have exploded, she probably would have died. I cannot believe that a national chain cannot make arrangements with its customers for an emergency. However, I am glad I went elsewhere as they would have probably killed her.

When I went to the clinic to get her records to take somewhere else, I was upset and crying and the recommendation to me was: “Whatever is wrong could be very expensive, putting her down may be your best option." Really!? I am sure I would not "put down" my kid if he was going to be expensive. Banfield is out for one thing - money. They do not care for your animals and most of the vets are incompetent. After reading all the complaints I have found, I cannot believe this place has been around this long. We really need to band together to do something about this place. I have made several attempts to get an email or address to write a formal complaint but have been unsuccessful. I can only hope people are reading all my posts and think twice about using this place.

Original review: May 11, 2012

On May 5th, 2012, I took my puppy into Banfield in Joplin, Missouri to have him looked and get the shots that he needed. When I went in there, the people at the front desk were very rude to me. I blew that off. Once I was able to have my dog looked at, the nurse was telling me about the "Wellness Plan" (which is a huge rip-off). I told her that I would talk to my husband about it. Once my dog got all his shots, the nurse came back into the room asking for my account information for the Wellness Plan. I told her that I would not be able to do that today because I would have to see if my husband would want to. She told me that I would have to do it today because they already gave him the shot on the Wellness Plan and told me that at this point, I would have to.

So, I called my husband to tell him what they did and he was pissed! So then today, I called to cancel the Wellness Plan after talking to my husband and we both agree that we could find a better vet for our dog. So I was told to call the call center to cancel it. (By the way, I work in a call center myself and I know how things are supposed to work and let's just say they pissed me off even more once I got treated the way I did.) I called the call center and I asked to cancel the plan and they asked me why (which should be none of their business). I told them that we no longer need service from them.

The agent on the line told me he would not allow that because I had $140 due and they would not cancel till that was paid. But when I talked to the nurse at the vet, she said my dog was getting $80 (which I paid that day) worth of care and I wouldn't owe anything until his next appointment. I informed the agent on the phone of this and he was very rude with me, placed me on hold, pick up and automatically hung up! I know that my puppy got ** for care, not $200 worth of care! I will never take my dog to that place again! And after reading the issues that other people have had with this place they call a "vet office," I feel horrible for them. This place really needs to be put under because they don't do ** for our animals!

Original review: May 10, 2012

Where do I begin? I actually have 3 complaints. I gave my credit card information to the front desk receptionist three separate times and every time I come back for a scheduled appointment, I'm told my account is on hold and I cannot get a reason why (knowing I have money in that account to have withdrawn every month of $38). I joined the Wellness Plan specifically so I don't get crunched with a huge bill, but since they are not taking that money out each month, when I do go, I get 3 to 4 months of "we need to bill you this amount"! It seems that my card works when they swipe it there at the hospital. The receptionists are rude and the wait for a scheduled appoint turns into a wait of 2+ hours.

When we are put in a room, I can tell the table was not clean - hair and slobber from another dog are all over the exam table. My puppy was spayed on 5/9/12. I never received a call to come pick her up as they told me they would. I called and was told, "oh yeah, come in and pick her up now". I got there and again, the wait to just check in was 30 minutes. It's like a zoo! People all over, phones ringing and one receptionist! Everyone was complaining and very upset. Finally, I got checked in, paid my 2 months. They said I owed plus the bill of the spay and then told to wait, that someone will be right with me. I waited an hour and a half for my puppy. No one even acknowledged I was there. I finally had to grab a vet who was assisting another irate customer to please get my puppy from the back or please let me know what was going on!

This is unacceptable and so unprofessional. A nurse finally brought the puppy out to me. She seemed angry. She blurted out instructions to me on how to care for Fiona and off she went to the back. That evening, my puppy had a horrible night. She was whining and the incision was oozing more than usual. The incision area was a very deep red and swollen. I tried calling Banfield at 9AM as it says they open at that time and got the recording. I tried again at 9:05, 9:10 and 9:15, still got the recording. I decided enough is enough and took my dog to another vet. I want to get out of this Wellness Plan as of today! I learned my lesson with Banfield and my puppy's life is not worth jeopardizing with incompetent personnel.

Original review: May 8, 2012

I was overcharged twice. I was guaranteed a refund and never got it. They have poor customer service. I was told by location to make a complaint to their supervisors and that they would take care of my problem. Who tells a customer to make a complaint? Why wouldn't they just fix it themselves? On voice-recorded call, I was told my plan was switched to my requested plan. It never was.

The second time I called their customer service, they told me I should have been refunded but that they would no longer honor it. Then I requested to cancel the plan, so they transferred me to that department and then told me they would not cancel my plan. They just lost a customer, who in their own words, never had a problem with billing or service in the past; and they would gladly refund me the overcharge that wasn't their money in the first place.

Original review: May 8, 2012

I signed up for the $28 puppy plan and it’s a waste. I tried to get my puppy sprayed twice and they keep giving reasons why they can’t. They’re just after the money and I think I deserve a refund since I did the $28 plan for the spraying instead of the $24, especially since I’m going to look elsewhere to get the spraying. Don’t waste time or money there!

Original review: May 7, 2012

My male tabby cat Rudy was 6 years old. He hadn’t eaten for 4 days and he only drank and slept. He did eat some treats, but no real food. So I brought him in to Banfield and he was seen by Dr. Jennifer **. After examining him, they said I would have to leave him for blood test and urine test for about an hour. Well, two hours passed. I called and they said there was nothing wrong with any vital organs, but they still were unable to get a urine specimen. Dr. ** said she was going to put him on antibiotic and new eye drops and will keep an eye on him. She again said, “I will call you back when you can come pick him up.” Again, I waited an hour and called. This time they said, “Come pick him up. His medicine will be ready.”

When we arrived in the office 25 minutes later, Dr. ** came in the waiting room and told us Rudy collapsed. She had him on oxygen and he died. I am so upset. I can’t believe he could die that quick. The doctor said she thinks he died from rat poison. I don’t believe this. My cat was a house cat. He only went outside with me. I always watch him closely. I believe they tried to get the urine so many times that they kept poking him so many times and they caused this. I am not a vet, but I know my cat. I treated him like a king. If there was a rat, I would have known there was one and I have another cat. Don’t you think something would be wrong with him? I just want someone to know what happened. If you love your pets, don’t leave them with Banfield vets. I love Rudy and will always love him. I feel so horrible that I left him there. I feel so lost.

Original review: May 6, 2012

We took our cat to Banfield directly from the emergency vet he had spent the night at. Banfield was to set his leg and put it in a cast. They put a splint on the lower portion of his leg only. A couple of days later, he was screaming in pain and now the weekend, so back to emergency. They said it should have been in a cast and immobilized up past the knee. Banfield tried to charge us for x-rays we brought with us and will not refund the money for the shotty splint work. If I was to rate them from 1 to 10 stars, they may get a 1/2 start. This was the Banfield in Bend, Oregon. I have had trouble with the one in Santa Clarita, CA also.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information