2. Pets

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2013

The veterinarian was very rude. She was supposed to take care of my dog's ticks, but she took him in the room and just took one tick. Then she came out saying, "Where are the others?" After we showed her where the other ticks were, she started pulling them with bare hands, with no disinfection or anything. She was throwing them in the middle of the PetSmart store! On top of everything, she tried to pull my dog's nipple instead of tick, so he was crying a lot. His nipple is still bloody. She did not even apologize. They told us that she cannot check him for more ticks, but that we could get the "First Shield" to kill them. We bought the product, but because of its side effects, my dog has been feeling very sick since we put the product on him!

Original review: June 12, 2013

I recently took my little 8 lb. Chihuahua dog to Roanoke's Banfield Hospital. She had a heart murmur and fluid in her lungs (see my video, "Ban Banfield", on Facebook). I saw them holding her upside down by her back legs. A side effect of Lidocaine anesthesia is heart stoppage. She had a Lasix IV for fluid in her lungs, and the doctor was shaking her to get the fluid from her lungs.

I left the room. They came out and said her heart stopped and asked me if I wanted to revive her. I said yes. I was told that during heart massage, the doctor may have broken a rib. I told them I wanted to take her home when she was able to, and they advised me to take her to a hospital. She had an excellent EKG. Then they told me she needed to go back on oxygen. At this point, they were talking euthanasia. I said no, that I wanted to take her home and put her on heart medication. They never gave me a reason for euthanasia. They only said, "You may get a month or two with her," but there's no way they can predict that.

I can only say that if you think your dog has a slight chance of recovering, get your pet out of Banfield because you are just $$ to them. They took advantage of me, as I am a senior. I was alone, and they knew they could frighten me to make a decision for me. I am tormented.

Original review: June 12, 2013

Please, I am trying to make others aware to NOT purchase the Banfield Animal Hospital Plan! I took my new puppy into their hospital for his first visit to make sure he was healthy and to begin his shots. They sold me their wellness plan, and I signed up because I trusted they would deliver those services.

Unfortunately, that HAS NOT happened. On both the 2nd and 3rd visits, they called me on my cell to explain they had emergencies and were running terribly behind. Both times, appointments were made as per the wellness plan, but I ONLY saw a vet ONE time, and that was on the 1st visit, when the plan was sold to me. I paid based on the plan's breakdown of visits or "exams". The only services performed were shots. A vet tech took him to the back and brought him back out. On the last visit after my dog was brought out, he was bleeding pretty good. The staff took him back to check him, and when bringing him through the door, two employees ran into each other in the door, slamming my animal's paw in the door. Of course they so much as did not address it with me; they just took him back again, I can only assume, to check the foot.

And now that I am very unsatisfied and do NOT trust them to deliver the care they said they sold me, I am hooked into a payment plan with them for 12 months. And if you decide to cancel, you'll pay very high veterinary charges immediately. Their home office in Oregon does not try to work with you. They have great protection for their company, but you have NONE for you and your pet. Please DO NOT purchase their so-called plans. You will regret it, I am sad to say!

Original review: June 11, 2013

I took my 5-year-old dog to Banfield as a recommendation from my friend. My Jack Russell had taken a fall from a bed onto the floor on May 4 and by May 27, my poor pet passed away because she was misdiagnosed not only by one visit but I had visited this office 6 times in a 3-week period because she was not improving. I had all blood work ran/X-rays and I watched my poor baby just go downhill until she could no longer walk. I ended up taking her to a vet ER hospital on Memorial Day and that very day, the ER doctor determined this was not muscular and she needed to see a neurologist. My Jack did not make it through the night for me to take her to the neurologist the next day. I was so heartbroken thinking that if she would have been diagnosed earlier or even suggested that I see another doctor, I could have saved her life.

To make matters worse, I called Banfield because I signed her up for a wellness plan on May 12 and within 2 weeks she had passed. However, I was expected to pay on this plan for the year. If I would have known my pet would have passed away in that short time, I would not have signed her up for a wellness plan. I trusted them with my dog's life and they let me down. I won't ever recommend anyone to this vet or the plan. It's terrible.

Original review: June 10, 2013

I bought a Wellness Plan for my year-old female German Shepherd. I paid the total cost upfront for one year, and before that two months, before that year was up, I informed the Hospital and the Main Office in Oregon that we would NOT be renewing with the Wellness Plan (WP). Banfield ignored the cancellation and continued to monthly bill us. The Banfield Vets could NOT even perform a simple spaying and had to refund me the $354.00 that the WP charges. Another local vet performed the operation and only charged me $250.00!!! If your pet needs medications, the prices they charge are inflated by 500%. I told them that I would get one of the prescriptions they wanted to charge me $53 for at my pharmacy. I paid $12 at the pharmacy. This is an ongoing practice of theirs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: June 10, 2013

We took my son's German Shepherd pup (6 months) into the office after he had caught his leg in the foot of the bed when he apparently jumped off in the middle of the night. We were told he needed surgery approximately $1,700 or he would not walk again normally. There is a local vet about 2 hours away that everyone loves so we took him there. He advised no surgery since it was the growth plate area. He would be likely to have severe arthritis when older. We left him there for a week and they used laser and staying off the led in a kennel. Cost was $300. Big difference and no surgery involved. Now over a year later and he walks, runs and plays like any other dog.

On the flip side, my dog goes to Banfield for yearly shots and exams. She loves the people. I, however, have no idea what vet sees her since I never see them or meet them. But when she is ill, I take that 2-hour trip as I have not been satisfied with their care regarding when something is wrong.

Original review: June 5, 2013

I bought Wellness plan for my elderly dog. I specifically asked if I could cancel at any time and the answer was yes. This is totally untrue, as they will continue to charge you until the year is up. They try to tell you that the expenses you racked up for services are far more than what you owe, so you will have to pay the difference. If your pet needs medications, the prices they charge are inflated by 500%. I told them that I would get one of the prescriptions they wanted to charge me $53 for at my pharmacy. I paid $12 at the pharmacy. This is an ongoing practice of theirs.

The final straw was the fact that I mainly bought the plan to have his teeth cleaned, as he has to be put under. They did a complete checkup on him the day I bought the plan and found that he had a heart murmur. It was not an issue until I wanted to make an appointment to have his teeth done and they told me he could not due to the fact that he had the murmur and would have to go to the cardiologist first! There is only one vet cardiologist in my area and it was going to cost $542! They knew this ahead of time and sold me a bill of goods. I ended up getting a month’s credit for this particular issue, but they would still not cancel the plan. The amounts that they charge for their services are far and above the normal rates than a neighborhood vet charges. How do I know this? My dog went to a neighborhood vet for the first 11 years of his life, as does his sister.

I cannot wait until this hell is over and I am released to go back to my old vet. I feel abused and violated and would like to press criminal charges against this company. I thought I did my research... but did not dig far enough. There are hundreds of complaints out there about Banfield and I would run far far away from this whole company. The kicker is that the second time we brought Cody in, they almost killed him with an overdose of drugs, due to the fact that the vet on staff did not read his file. It took me three vets in the local Banfield before I got one that gave a darn about him. In fact, one of the receptionists told me that the vet I ended up with was the most thorough... hmm. Run, run for your animal’s life.

Original review: June 5, 2013

March 2013 - I took my six-year-old pug dog to Banfield Pet Hospital because he was limping on his right leg. While there, the tech noticed his ear was real dirty so he went to the back for cleaning. I was somewhat satisfied with the explanation about his leg. It was suggested that he get an X-ray (which, by the way, the doctor came back saying it was arthritis; I'm certain it is something different).

To make a long story short, later that night, I was petting "Jack" and I noticed a VERY big wart-like bubble in the ear that was cleaned (obviously, they rubbed so hard that they created an embolism)... A week later, after noticing it wasn't going away, I took him in and it was suggested that I get it taken out, and the doctor assured me that that was not caused by the vet techs or her for that matter... I paid a lot of money for his ear to be practically severed off...

It breaks my heart to see the types of people that get hired to care for animals. Well, his limp is still there; of course, it's getting progressively worse. I've left several messages for Dr. Johnson to call me, and of course she hasn't yet. I don't know what to do because if I take him back in, I'm risking his well-being. I do not like this Banfield at all.. It's located in Midlothian, VA.

Original review: June 5, 2013

This place is a JOKE!!! A few months ago, I was told a heartworm test was going to be performed on my dog. The tech later came out and informed that he was too young at the time and to wait. Fast forward five months later and it's time to change heartworm pills. They told me a test need to be done. Fine right? Since he didn't have is second one performed. They told me he used his second one already and that the outcome was negative. How can you have an outcome when it wasn't even performed?!!! Makes me think about how much other tests they claim to have given and probably never did.

Original review: June 2, 2013

I signed up for the Wellness Plan also for my two dogs. Everything was good until the day I needed something more complex than just vaccines… My dog had a torn ligament on his knee. He needed x-rays with sedation and a surgery to repair the ligament... First, I got the x-rays at Banfield, and they charged me $500...

After that, the doctor wanted to charge me $2,500 for a surgery (tightrope) that I paid $1,000 at another vet (who confessed to me that he had to fix 2 of these kind of surgeries from Banfield!). They also told me that no one in town specialized on this kind of surgery... Banfield is ok if your dog is not sick or just need current vaccines. Other than that, they’re just going to try to rip you off.

Original review: May 26, 2013

Banfield is by far the worst vet I have ever been to. The wellness plans are a total sham - every visit, I've had to fight to get the vet to perform the most routine tests that are promised in the plan, and even then, they find loopholes to charge you... They charge several times the regular rate for meds, etc. so you end up paying for what you would have if you'd gone to a reputable vet.

All of the doctors at Banfield are inexperienced and incompetent. They are clearly only concerned about getting as much money from you as possible. I worked at a vet for over 5 years and know a little bit about what a good vet should do. I recently took my Great Dane into Banfield in Palm Coast and paid a lot of money for a complete senior wellness exam with a full CBC blood panel screen. The vet barely looked at my dog and did not even notice 5 large lipomas until after I pointed them out to her. She spent LESS THAN 3 minutes examining my dog!

She did not ask to review his records nor did she carefully listen to heart and lung functions. It was very clear to me the whole exam was just a sham to get money and she did not care at all about my dog's health. She seemed annoyed that I asked questions and did not have informed answers for any of them. They supposedly did a full CBC panel which (miraculously) came back in about 5 min. However, they did not give me the results, and when I came back to pick them up, I noticed there was an abnormally low level platelet count (148). The doctor had not even noticed it until I pointed it out and then made an excuse saying it was "normal".

A reputable vet would have ordered a manual check of this to confirm. A low level platelet count can be very serious. I now have to go to a real vet to have this checked. The CBC panel itself was not nearly as inclusive as most panels done at regular vets, yet they charged me 3x what most vets charge! I told her about my dog's cognitive decline and the doctor said she had never heard of Anipryl, which is the most commonly diagnosed prescription med for this, nor did she know about choline or Cholodin, which are the most commonly used supplements for canine cognitive decline! Remarkably uninformed! She did not seem to care at all and did nothing to check him for this...

She also said no adult canines can get ear mites, which is a lie. She pretended to briefly look into his ears. (This is not the way to check for mites... you have to take a swab and look under a microscope.) When I worked at the vet, I personally treated at least 30 adult dogs for ear mites. Finally, they charged me twice what they originally quoted for Rimadyl and only gave me 10 days' worth with no refills!!!! I had to go back in to get the Rimadyl because the vet forgot to add it during the first visit! When I finally got it, it did not have the full amount, and most of the pieces were broken up.

Two years ago, when I took my Great Dane into Banfield on the "platinum plan" for a complete yearly exam and screen, they left him in a small cage all day long. When I picked him up after work 9 hours later, he could barely walk and had feces and urine all over him! They told me they did not do anything for him that day... no tests... NOTHING! They had forgotten he was there! The doctor refused to come out and talk to me and they even tried to charge me for that! They also gave him a 6-month supply of bad heartworm med that was recalled! They did not want to reimburse me nor did they apologize for their incompetence. If you care at all about your pets, I would avoid this place at all costs! You are going to get much better care going to a real vet.

Original review: May 26, 2013

I got stung by the "free" teeth cleaning. I took my cat in, the blood ALT level was elevated, most likely due to a hemolyzed specimen. They wanted more money. I said no, so they charged me for the blood work that was supposed to be covered. The people were not very nice and seemed not to care if I did business with them or not. I paid their extortion fee of $97.00. After reading a few other accounts, I feel I got off lucky. I will use a local vet from now on and will buy my supplies at another retail outfit. Bye, Banfield and Pet Smart!

Original review: May 20, 2013

I have a pregnant pom/chi. She is my companion animal as I'm disabled. She's about 6 weeks along. This is her second pregnancy. She has been panting at times and her water intake is unusually high. This worried me as she didn't do this with the previous pregnancy. I printed off a free wellness check from Banfield. I called, made an appointment and went to the appointment on Tuesday. Your vet said she needed to run blood work, costing around $400 for red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets detecting conditions like anemia, inflammation or infections. I advised her more than once that I couldn't afford that. She insisted that was the next step to figure out the issue. She said the most important tests would cost $170 ($130 was the ending total amount as they couldn't do a urine test).

I had to borrow money. I was so scared with what she had told me. I was crying the remainder of my stay there while I waited. The machine apparently broke, so all results couldn't be given. The next day Banfield said the blood work showed no problems. Well, I never received paperwork on the blood work as they didn't have the results when I left. I was up from 1-2AM last night with my dog's panting. Being really worried, I googled the symptoms. Diabetic/pre-diabetic came up. Not once did your vet talk about this to me. I called another two vets asking them what tests they would run for those symptoms. They said urine and check for diabetes. I need the blood work results that I never received so I can show a competent veterinary clinic what's already been checked. She also wanted me to schedule another appointment with Banfield for two weeks for x-rays to show how many puppies she's having. This costs $350.

Apparently, this vet has no idea what fixed/limited income is. Very upset and disappointed in this company. Now I'm behind $130.00 and so stressed because my dog is exactly the same and now I really can't bring her in. Apparently, the wrong tests were administered to which I don't have results anyway. Communication with them has been difficult. Unless several calls happen, they won't bother returning calls. I did get a mailed response from Banfield, but only after I had contacted the BBB regarding this. It seems they want your money without helping the animals and playing on the owner's emotions. Sickening.

Original review: May 18, 2013

I took my Dachshund to Banfield in PetSmart and put her on the yearly plan they have for dogs. I went ahead and prepaid this plan both years I had her on it. The fourth month into the plan, my dog and I were hit by a car. Emma was unable to recover and passed away. This crushed me. I called Banfield to let them know about the situation and to see if I could get refunded any of the year that I had prepaid. I had also acquired a new dog so I was hoping I could get somewhat of a discount with him. The customer service representative said that if I canceled the account that they would charge me even more money for the year that I had already prepaid. I was thinking to myself, how does this make sense? So because I gave them money upfront, I am losing my money. She didn't even consider the option to transfer anything over to my new pup.

Thanks a lot, Banfield! I don't recommend anyone to use Banfield. They are just a corporate vet that cares about your money. Someone with a heart or at least is compassionate about the animals they service might have found some common ground to help me out. Local vets are the way to go. Support your local vets and not some money-hungry corporate monster. Thanks for nothing, Banfield.

Original review: May 18, 2013

Bottom line, charges that may be discounted as part of the Wellness Plan and what and how they tack on fees is misleading, and frankly bad business. Did you know that if you bring your pet in for a free teeth cleaning, the automatic blood work that they do is only covered if in fact they actually do the teeth cleaning. If the blood work shows additional potential health issues and the teeth cleaning is then suggested to not be done (i.e. anesthesia may be risky), the automatic blood work charges will be charged to you. Even when asked what my charges were in the morning when I dropped my cat off, no mention of this was made.

Evidently, it is in the fine print of what I signed as I rushed off to work in the early morning. Regardless, the principle of the matter is that it is misleading.The free teeth cleaning cost me $176.00. When questioning the veterinarian about the charges, in addition to challenging the tech upon checkout, the only thing that I heard was it wasn't their fault. Here is the doozy by the vet, "Wouldn't it be nice if everything was free?" I guess the $25 per month that I was charged and directly taken out of my checking account for the year while I never utilized the plan was a gift. Regardless, I will never spend another dime at Banfield and I am happy to suggest to anyone that I know that they should do the same!

Original review: May 17, 2013

I have a dog under their Puppy Early Care Plus plan. I received a letter informing that the heartworm preventive Worm Shield was recalled and that my pet may not be protected from heartworm disease. The letter states that it is crucial for him to be brought in for heartworm testing. Several months prior to this letter, after asking questions concerning Worm Shield, I also choose to purchase Worm Shield for my other pet that was not under contract. I explained that now my other pet was also at risk, they remembered my asking questions. My vet for this dog was very picky about heartworm medication manufacturer. They did agree to test both dogs at no cost over the phone. When I then came in a couple days later to have the testing done, I had to explain the situation over again.

The vet, Dr. **, did the testing and both thankfully were negative. He then tried to tell me that Bug, my non-contracted dog, needed annual shots. He had no way of knowing this. I explained that I was researching some other possible veterinary options and declined any further services. I then asked about them needing a follow-up test in 6 months. He said no further testing was needed. I said that somewhere I had heard they should be tested again in 6 months. When I went to check out, they tried to bill $40 for a physical exam. I explained there was to be no charge and that there was no physical exam done. The only thing I noticed was he lifted the lips of Reggie, the contracted dog. They said that was the exam. I said, "Excuse me, I'm not paying for 2 seconds of something I didn't request."

Then when I got home, I reviewed the paperwork I was given that said "Congratulations! Your pet's ears, heart, rectum, mouth/nose, abdomen, lungs appear to be normal." This is completely unethical to document such when no exam was done. Plus while I was checking out, I reread the letter that Banfield had sent that said "your pet should be brought in 6 months for a 2nd heartworm test." I pointed this out to the clerk. She said she was unaware of that just like the vet. It is beyond me how possibly, after exposing my pets and many other's pets to such risk, that they don't even take it seriously enough to know what they themselves/Banfield say need to be done to make sure my loved family member is protected.

The reporting of a physical exam that was never done is totally unethical and not knowing what follow-up is needed to fully protect your pet is grossly negligent. I will go back to a veterinary office where you see the same vet that has a personal relationship with you and truly cares about the health of my pet. I have never written a review in my life that wasn't super quick, which are always the ones where you had received outstanding service or a product. That tells you how offended I am!

Original review: May 17, 2013

I took my 2 dogs for the very first time using the insurance plan and all the paperwork I had for both of them. One of them had a dental procedure and both just general check and vaccines. My younger dog had some of the vaccines a couple of months ago and they gave them to my dog again!

I swear if something happens to my dog, they won't have anywhere to go! I will make to suspend their licenses! The reason I say this is because my older dog had a dental check which was under anesthesia and I was never told about the complications and my 6 y/o male, super healthy dog because even they saw it on the results, has been found after 3 days of the procedure dead at home! These ** people killed my dog!

The best part is when I went there, they said I signed a form where I assume all the responsibility if something happens to my dog. Well, yes, I signed a form but when I asked the girl who was "helping me", she said it was just a drop off form which it was not! Now my dog is dead; my other dog is vaccinated twice in less than 2 months! Their staff is just ridiculous! They don't know what in the ** they are doing!

I asked for an autopsy and one of them said they could only check for bites just in case it was because a spider, etc. and that I will have to pay for the autopsy if I wanted it! Well, guess what?! I took my dog's dead body to them and they had to pay for it! I took my dog to them thinking I will keep him healthy and 3 days later of the first visit, my dog is dead! Don't ever go to these people because it's obvious all they care about money!

Original review: May 16, 2013

I have used Banfield in Warminster, PA for years. I am on my 6th dog at this location. All my dogs started as 8-week-old pups. Within the last year or so, this location has gone massively downhill. Front desk is rude and incompetent! On four different occasions within the last 10 months, I have showed up for appointments and they have no record of them. When I asked for the name of the person who worked the front desk on the day that I made the appointment, I got nothing but excuses. I’m not sure if they don't know how to work their software program or what, but this is ridiculous.

Another complaint is that I can never get my dogs in for a sick appointment. I have the insurance but am told they have no openings for weeks! When I asked what I am to do, I'm told to take them to the animal hospital in Langhorne. Are you kidding me? What do I pay insurance for if I need to go elsewhere? I can't cancel the insurance because as others stated, you are charged for the full year. Stay clear of Banfield. Extremely expensive and care is awful!

Original review: May 15, 2013

I moved to New Oxford, Pennsylvania from Cincinnati, Ohio and the closest Banfield is a 45-minute drive. I dropped my dog and cat off to the Mechanicsburg Banfield and almost 30 minutes later, the vet called saying they don't know who or why the person scheduled my dog the dental since I never met with her. Then on top of that, I told her it is a 45-minute drive for me and I've had to schedule weeks in advance due to them only doing dental on certain days and I work three jobs. Then she said she would do it but not the cat because she isn't even scheduled right and she had her under a comprehensive and not a dental. I seriously don't recommend Banfield, period. I pay every month directly from my card but never receive my flea meds, and I have to call them. I don't know how many times they have had to waive my monthly fee due to their mess up! I don't recommend them! Don't go to Banfield!

Original review: May 11, 2013

I took my cat in because she seemed to be having trouble with her ears itching. They cleaned her ear very well and sent me home with medication for her and I had a return visit a week later. They had many other things they wanted to do and quoted me an enormous price along with a huge bill for the calls I had made. They insisted I had to get a rabies shot even though she never goes outside, wanted to sell me pet insurance, and had other things they wanted to do. I think they just rack up the bill as much as possible. Anyway, now my cat is not eating at all and she was perfectly fine before I went there, except for her itching ears. I wish I had never taken her in to see them. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM AT ALL.

Original review: May 11, 2013

On April 30th, 2013, my family rescued a cat from our local Humane Society. As part of the adoption process, I received a coupon book from PetSmart which included a coupon for a free office visit to the Banfield Pet Hospital, which is located within PetSmart in Alcoa, TN. I scheduled an appointment for May 6th and brought in our new cat to take advantage of the free visit. While there, numerous issues were pointed out as being wrong with her including a dire need for a dental cleaning ($180) and a few tests were performed and medications were prescribed. In the middle of this appointment, her records came in from the Humane Society's vet and I then learned that she had FIV (feline AIDS).

The lack of informing us of this fact prior to adoption is a whole separate issue that I have addressed with the Humane Society, but I mention it here so that everyone has all of the facts. We had just found out (mid visit) that our new cat that we were already attached to had FIV. We knew little to nothing about it and it was a very stressful discovery. With this new revelation and all of the expenses that the vet had mentioned she needed, I made the decision to sign up for their Wellness Plan thinking I needed it and it would save us money. This plan would cost a one-time membership fee of $37.95 and then $24.95/month for 12 months. It would cover various items including office visits, a dental cleaning, vaccines and a 15% discount on medications and some services, etc.

After leaving that evening, I went home, did some research and had various conversations with Humane Society volunteers and other veterinarians. I decided that I did not feel comfortable with the plan or Banfield and decided to cancel it. According to their contract, I had four days to do so. When I called the next day to cancel the plan, I was informed that I owed an additional $69.60 beyond the $138.23 I had already paid. I knew that I would have to pay the full price for the medications that I had received a 15% discount on since I was no longer on their plan and had no problem with that. But here is where the deceitfulness became apparent. They refunded me the membership fee and the first month payment, but because their plan included a free office visit ($37.95) and a Comprehensive Feline Exam ($45), I had to then pay for them.

There are two huge problems with this. First of all, I had the coupon for the office visit, which was the only reason I made an appointment with them in the first place. (I have a local vet I have used for 12 years. I was just looking to save a little money with all of the other expenses we were incurring with having a cat for the first time adding up quickly.) According to their office manager, that coupon is now null and void due to the fact that I signed up for the plan. Profit has vanished!? She informed me that she could hit her computer screen with a bat and there was nothing she could do about it. The next day is when I learned about the $45 comprehensive feline exam they were charging me was in addition to the office visit ($37.95). Once again, I have somehow committed to this charge when I signed the contract that I am now cancelling. For one, I was not informed that they were doing a comprehensive exam which included a 5-second glance at her teeth, ears, eyes and rectum. I would have never agreed to this and was not informed it was happening or of its charge if I decided to not do the plan.

Second, I have had pets for 17 years and I have never taken any animal to any vet for a well check appointment and been charged $82.95 to just look the animal over, nor do I know anyone else who has had a fee even close to this amount! This didn't include any tests, meds, nothing at all, but looking at her as I mentioned above. When I contacted Banfield Corporate office, they just refer everything back to the actual hospital location and back to the same unhelpful office manager. When I contacted their advocate team, the office manager received the email and informed me that it all defaults back to her (which she seemed to enjoy this fact). In other words, there is nothing I can do for these ridiculous charges and the only one you can work with is the in-hospital unhelpful office manager.

I then let the office manager know that I would not just accept their inappropriate and unacceptable charges. I said that I may seek legal counsel if this couldn't be resolved and would also contact the BBB to help make other pet owners aware of Banfield's business practices. (She also then informed me that the BBB would still defer back to her and it would be of no consequence.) They then refused to speak to me and the corporate office even hung up on me when I asked when my balance was due by and told me to contact their legal department (because I had mentioned the option of seeking legal counsel they will no longer speak with me) which you can only do in writing! We currently have a fungal culture in process ($33) whose results will not be back for two weeks, which they refuse to send me the results of due to the fact that I said I may seek legal counsel. They can't put the results in the mail on a piece of paper for the test I have already paid for. Again, this is completely unacceptable.

I paid the balance due today, before the 4-day cancellation period expired as not to be turned over to any credit agencies and to be officially out of the plan. But what has happened here has scam written all over it in my opinion. I can't believe what I consider as a reputable company such as PetSmart would be associated with such a business with such terrible practices. All over the internet, you find hundreds of complaints against Banfield and the improper handling of both pets and money that they have. (Of course, unfortunately, I didn't find this information out until afterwards.) I would highly suggest that PetSmart disassociate ASAP with Banfield before it brings down their business by association. I will say the PetSmart manager was extremely helpful in trying to aid me in the situation the best she could and did give me a $37.95 gift card to PetSmart to try to compensate, although she continually reminded me that they are two separate entities and she could not do anything about their actions. She also facilitated the cancellation of the contract when I went in to the store when I requested her help since they were no longer speaking with me. I thought I might need assistance to pay the balance and cancel.

I feel obligated to bring this to the community's attention so people can make informed decisions. I know there are a lot of others like me who are a sucker for a good coupon. This is definitely not the one to try to take advantage of! This was certainly not a savings and going to my current vet would have been better by far. And come to find out, my vet performs first office visits for adopted cats free of charge also! (When I originally called to make the appointment before I knew about the Banfield coupon, the girl who answered the phone had made a mistake and told me it was a full $39 charge!) Thank you for taking the time to read of my ordeal. I hope that having this information helps prevent this from happening to other unsuspecting families.

Original review: May 6, 2013

I was told the clinic would be closed in October 2012 due to current storm that came through the Pensacola area. They cancelled my pet's appointment for neuter and said they would reschedule. Shortly after that, nobody called and we also gave away the dog to an animal shelter due to our other dog not getting along with the new one. I stopped in the hospital and told them my dog was no longer with us and wanted to stop the month to month payments. They said they would remove the dog from the records, but I had to call the hotline to cancel the auto draft. I called the auto draft and they ensured me the payment was stopped.

I was recently reviewing my bank statements and found that Banfield was still taking money from my account. I again stopped in the hospital on May 5, 2013 to confirm what was going on and set up an appointment for my other dog (not on the auto pay plan). The clerk again told me that my pet was still listed and I would have to call the number provided to cancel the contract. He told me that they would sometimes switch the plan to the new dog, but for sure they would work out something.

On May 6, 2013, I again called the number and gave the answering clerk the information requested. She said there were no notes in the system and she could not confirm I had called in the past or that I had stopped by the hospital to take my dog off the plan. I explained to her that I was sorry that nobody entered the notes, but I really wanted a refund or some type of compensation for taking the amount from my bank account. She (Daniel) told me that she could not do that and did not have the means to help me. I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager and was told there was no supervisor or manager on the staff, but I could speak with another representative.

I asked her if there was a complaint number I could call and she again told me there was no complaint department in the company. I asked for a call in number and to speak to staff that could help me and again was told there was no such number. I again asked her, "Are you sure there is nobody I can speak to," and she started to tell me she was having problems hearing me. I made one last ditch effort to get some type of information for complaints and the only thing she would give me was a PO Box. The total amount Banfield has charged my account is approximately $280 ($39 per month).

It is hard for me to believe that a company the size of Banfield that is associated with PetSmart would not have the functionality to address such requests. In all probability, the clerk who took my first call was not fully qualified to close an account. Make certain the information was documented. Call centers are areas that have a very high turnover ratio, and sometimes we forget this is the very first place our employees start and they make mistakes.

Please refund the amount of $280 back to my account.

Original review: May 4, 2013

My hamster was being treated for ringworm, which was not going away with oral meds. So the vet prescribed a Dermapet LimePlus Dip. They told me to put it straight on him, no need to dilute like the bottle said. I diluted instead, thinking that the bottle says it for a reason. I applied the dip three times in four days and it did not look to be helping, so last night I did as the vet directed and put the LimePlus Dip straight on his belly. He immediately became lethargic and could not even sit up. So we immediately rinsed him and he seemed to improve. Our poor little hamster did not make it through the night. I was not informed that Lime dips can cause respiratory failure and death! Banfield killed my hamster!

Original review: May 3, 2013

Roxy became part of our family on Feb. 1, 2013. She died on April 25, 2013. We entrusted Banfield Pet Hospital with her preventative care, including her vaccinations and initial check-up. She was a happy and healthy baby girl. She was spayed at Banfield Pet Hospital in Nanuet, NY on April 23, 2013. Banfield is located in the back of Pet Smart. As advised by her doctor, Dr. **, we dropped her off early Tuesday morning, April 23, for her spay appointment and picked her up later that evening. I was told that the procedure had no complications and Roxy was discharged to me with after care instructions. Being a new pet owner, I asked many questions to Dr. ** and was reassured that my aftercare plan and schedule was acceptable. The doctor handed Roxy to me wearing her protective cone. I was told to keep the cone on her for the next 10 days. As directed, we never took the cone off of her. In fact, Roxy died with the cone still around her collar, just as the doctor had attached it to her.

I was able to take off of work the day (Wednesday) following her spay procedure. She was fine, eating and drinking normally. On Thursday, my husband reported that when he had left for work, that Roxy was fine. Her usual self. When my daughter and I came home to find Roxy in a bad state, I called Banfield and told them she was bleeding. They put me on hold. When her condition quickly worsened and she began to surrender (her intestines had dropped out from her), I screamed for my neighbor, knowing I did not have time for Banfield to get back to me. He ran to us, tore off his shirt, wrapping her up in it, and instructed me to drive to the local animal hospital. Roxy died shortly after we arrived to the hospital. I was told by the emergency doctor that Roxy was unconscious, was bleeding to death, would need a blood transfusion, would need surgery to put the organs back into her body, was in critical condition, her organs unassumingly had been exposed and probably had bacteria on them, and that she was in critical condition. My husband and I chose to end her suffering at that moment.

Skipping details and fast forwarding: When I spoke to the Banfield doctor (Dr. **) later that night, she explained to me that Roxy had eaten her stitches, damaging and exposing her organs, and had eaten her intestine, severing it in 2 places, resulting in excessive bleeding. The Banfield doctor that did the spay procedure asked me if I thought that maybe the cone was too small. The doctor asked “me” if I thought if the cone was too small! I replied with, "I wouldn't know that. I am not a doctor." She also asked me if Roxy was trying to “get at her stitches”. I said no. She was not. She asked me if her back toenails would possibly have been able to open up her stitches. I replied, “I did as you asked: I got Roxy groomed the day before her procedure, including having her toenails clipped.” I have spoken to several people, including dog experts, who are baffled as to how a 4.5 pound puppy shih tzu would be able to chew through the 3 layers of stitches required for this procedure, had the procedure been done properly, while wearing her cone. Roxy still had her baby teeth.

On auto-pilot the following day, a friend suggested I get Roxy's medical and financial records from Banfield. I did. Prior to receiving these records, I called and inquired about specific financial information regarding our “situation”. The person answering the phone directed me to a 1-888 number. I asked her for further assistance and direction from her, as to how to proceed. She said she could not give me any more information other than the 1-888 phone number. I responded with, "Is that it?" She said yes and hung up. I spoke to this service on 4/29/13 and was told that I owe them $77.90 toward my member services for the months of May and June that Banfield had paid. I explained to them that I no longer have a dog and that the services would not be able to be used.

This did not have to happen. I am not done. I have left out what this has done to my children (ages 12, 10, and 8). This poor puppy did not have to die this way. She was spayed on a Tuesday and died 2 days later.

Original review: May 3, 2013

I walked my dog on the morning of her grooming at PetSmart in Torrance, CA. She was walking and running with me before her appointment. I picked her up that afternoon and she could no longer walk. I called PetSmart the next morning and they told me to bring her to Banfield vet in the PetSmart building. The vet came in and said she had to have an X-ray. PetSmart said they were not at fault. My husband had recently passed away and so did my 14-year-old Collie. I shared that with the vet so at that point they knew the love I have for my dog. I also shared that I was unemployed and just moved here to take care of my 87-year-old mother. I was a target.

I was told to pay over 500 dollars on that day or I would have payments for one year. I have paid on this bill for a year. Every time they would call and say they wanted to do a check up, I would say, "No way! I cannot afford your checkups." My dog was walking the day after the X-rays a little sore but fine. I am 59 years old and have had many great vets and pets. Please go to a vet that is more concerned with your pet than enrolling you in a program that means less care for more money.

Original review: May 3, 2013

I signed up for the Optimal Wellness plan before I read these reviews. I will be honest; I wish I wouldn't have signed my dog up after reading these reviews. He needed his teeth cleaned and I was scared to bring him in. I did my own investigation by speaking to friends who brought their pets there. Every time I went to PetSmart to buy food, I would hang around the pet hospital, talk to staff and pet owners. I felt comfortable bringing him. When I arrived to drop off my dog, the staff was very nice. They explained everything in detail about what is included in teeth cleaning. They told me when they would call me and they did promptly.

My dog does have some issues so I knew his blood work was going to come back abnormal and I knew he would need a few teeth pulled. After speaking with the vet who was awesome, she transferred me to another staff member who went over the extra fees in detail. I agreed and we proceeded. They called me after to let me know how everything went and when I could pick up my dog. When I got there, my bill was exactly what they said it was going to be. They even decided one tooth didn't need to be pulled. So I don't think they sell unnecessary procedures. The whole bill was much lower than my old vet's. It would have doubled in price. The nurse brought my dog out and went over everything in detail. The vet came out to meet me. She said she wanted to personally make sure I didn't have any questions.

I loved our experience with Banfield. I do feel bad for those of you who didn't have a great experience. I work in the medical field and I have learned that you need to take full responsibility to know exactly what is going on with your health, costs and insurance. Ask questions and learn everything you need to know about having a pet. Unfortunately, animals do get sick and can't be saved. No vet knows everything and nothing is for free.

Original review: April 30, 2013

My daughter took my dog in because she was acting like she was going to vomit several times a day. First, they wanted to do surgery for a foreign object in her stomach the size of a dime, at the cost of $1,600. We agreed because we were not given any other options. Well, my daughter went to leave and they made her go buy a bag of dog food, which really ticked me off. I feel for $1600 + other expenses. They should be able to feed my dog two cups of dog food. Well, the next day, the doctor called and said after doing another set of x-rays at the cost of $165, the foreign object is no longer there (which was good news) but still no solution to why she was sick.

So anyways, I said I wanted them to make sure that the 1/2 down deposit they made my daughter put down was reimbursed to her and the front desk girl is like "I will have to call our IT department. I don't know how to do a refund." I told her maybe they shouldn't expect 1/2 down until they know for sure a service is going to be done. Now, not only did they have my daughter put down 1/2 of the quoted surgery cost, but they made her pay $165 for the x-ray that was done that day. Oh, did I mention that while talking to the doctor on the phone, she mentions that my dog needed an ear swab test because she had a really bad smell coming out of them and she thought my dog needed a Thyroid test? I consented to the ear swab but told her to hold off on the Thyroid test. She told me to call back in a couple hours because they wanted to make sure my dog ate (now remember this part for later in my story).

So I called back in a couple hours to have the assistant tell me, "So we did the ear swab and the doctor mentioned you wanted a Thyroid test done?" I said no. I told her not to do a Thyroid test. She then said "Oh okay. Well, we will just stick with the ear swab." I said I would be there in about an hour to pick up my dog (this was at approximately 12:00 pm). I was told I would have to wait until after 2:30 as the doctors went to lunch from 1 to 2. I said okay, I will be there at 2:15 pm. So I got there and before even being allowed to see my dog, I get socked with $300 worth of fees for one ear swab test, 1 IV cath, 1 Fecal Test, two kinds of medicines for her ears and another set of x-rays. So now, we are up to $465. I also told the front desk girl, "I don't want to come off wrong but I need to know why you made my daughter buy a bag of dog food with all the money I have paid with your care program (which saves you nothing)?"

I feel Banfield could have fed my dog two cups of dog food. She looked me in the face and said, "We don't have any dog food here." I laughed at her and said, "That was a joke right since you are located in a pet store that is 1/2 pet food?" She said, "No, I am not joking. We do not cover the cost of the food for the patients." So after paying, I am put into a very stinky room. (By the way, did I mention that the front desk people have no customer service skills?) So finally, the doctor came in of course, not with my dog. She pulled up a set of x-rays and said, "Well, here was the object yesterday and here today. You see the object is gone (magic)." So her suggestion was to take her home, let her go to the bathroom and see if there was something in her poop. Then she proceeded to go into this long story about how my dog has bad arthritis in her hips and that she has the onset of hip dysplasia and that we could opt for surgery.

I asked her if she really needed the surgery right now and she did say no. I said, "Can I give her an alieve or something just to help with the arthritis?" She said, "Let me think about this while we are getting your dog ready. I will get back to you with an answer." After 10 minutes, an assistant came in to explain the ear medicines (still no dog) and to tell me the doctor does not want me giving the dog anything but what they have to offer for arthritis that would run me $81 a month. I said, "Well, let me think about this." So now finally after 1/2 hour, they brought my dog in and said, "Thank you. Have a good day." I looked at the assistant and said what about the dog food you made my daughter buy? She looked at me and said, "Oh are you talking the bag of Beneful?" I said yes (so she knew there as a bag of food of my dogs). So she went back and brought out a bag of food with my dog's name on it, not even opened which means they did not feed my dog at all.

Now my dog is home and seemed to be doing better. Every once in a while, she has a gagging episode which I am not sure what is causing it but I guarantee she will not be going back to Banfield. I will be finding a better vet. Oh, just in case you don't get point of the story, do not go to Banfield Pet Hospital!

Original review: April 29, 2013

I adopted a cat at PetSmart and was given a coupon for a "free" get acquainted exam for the cat. They were polite, fairly prompt but could not get a pulse, respiration or temperature from the cat due to his cat behavior. I asked if they could wrap him in a blanket or something to slow him down. The vet tech chose to strap two slip leashes around his neck and try to calm him down, lol. He hissed, struck out and was so terrified I chose to end the appointment and take him home. Neither were they able to clip his nails or check to see if he was micro-chipped. Not once was a DVM involved in this fiasco. If a vet clinic doesn't know how to handle cats, what am I supposed to do? The visit was "free" and worth every penny I spent. I'll be going back to my regular DVM when the cat has forgotten this experience.

Original review: April 29, 2013

Today, 04/19/13, I dropped my dog off for a preventive and a recheck before 8AM. I was uneasy about taking him today because of the way he acted a few weeks earlier. My dog got into the car fine like always, but when we pulled in the road to PetSmart in Rock Hill, SC, he started whining and pacing back and forth. I had to help a 100 lbs Lab/Chow out of the car. He did this last time as well. Both times after getting inside, he tried to get away. I called around noon to check and see if he was ready. They had not even started. I was told they would start the drawing of his blood in 20-30 minutes and they would call me back.

At 2:00 I called and told them I wanted my dog at 2:30. The blood work still was not drawn at 2:00. When I arrived, I demanded my dog and was charged another $52.00 for blood work. I saw no shaved area on my dog's legs, as the same case a few weeks earlier. I pay $33.00 a month on insurance, but will cancel it in November. I will continue to pay until then and will take him to another vet, then pay that vet. I do not know what has changed within the past few months. He used to enjoy the vet. I know he got no water and was not taken out to use the yard. He went ASAP on the pavement once we were outside. He drank 2 bowls of water when we got home.

Please use your own judgement, but I will not take my baby back to that place. I just wonder how long it would have taken them if I had not gone and demanded my dog. I don't think they drew any blood.

Original review: April 27, 2013

We took our poodle into the Banfield hospital at the PetSmart in Shenendoah, TX right in The Woodlands, TX. We took him in for his annual checkup and they said we need to bring him back on Wednesday to check on his coughing. Wednesday we took him in and they took some x-rays of his chest to check for heart problems or perhaps trachea problems. They called us at 1:00PM to tell us the x-rays were showing he has a mild case of congestive heart failure and sent the x-rays to a specialist for review. They said he would probably need medication once the diagnosis was confirmed, but that he was okay. 2 hours later, they called and said our dog died while they were at lunch. When they came back, our pet (our family member) died in a cage with no one there with him.

On top of all that, they have the nerve to charge us for what they call care ($345) to let our little guy die alone in a cage. Now I ask you, is that care? They just told us 2 hours earlier he was okay and that we could pick him up later that day! Do not trust them. Money is all they care about!

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information