2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2013

My pet had to get a dental done because he had started dropping food. It turns out he had a bad tooth. They professionally called me at work and informed me that the extraction and meds would be an additional $85. I gave them the ok and he is back to himself in a matter of 2 days eating like a horse. I go to the south Aurora location and love everything they have done for my dogs over the years. They are very fair and love my pets like their own. If you are in need of a good vet, go here.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2013

On Tuesday my wife noticed our Maxx was having a problem with his right eye. She was visiting our daughter so she took him to Banfield in Wesley Chapel, NC (Daughter's vet). The vet examined Maxx and advised my wife that he had an eye infection and was given meds to treat. My wife felt his left eye also seemed slightly affected and was told by the vet to not be concerned, it was limited to the right eye. She returned home on Wednesday and the eye was closed and by late Wednesday, it was obvious that the left eye too was affected. She had followed the instructions from the Banfield NC vet to the letter as Maxx is a big part of our family and we see him as a little boy in a white furry suit!

Thursday morning, she took him to our vet and was sent immediately to Banfield in Myrtle Beach SC for an ocular pressure test. Banfield Myrtle Beach looked at the report from Banfield Wesley Chapel and was surprised to see that no ocular test had been performed. The Banfield Myrtle Beach vet set up an immediate appointment with an animal eye specialist in Charleston and was told to get him there immediately. I left work and we drove him the hour and half drive to Charleston to see the specialist. We were taken in immediately and Maxx was examined. His ocular pressure was 70 which the specialist advised us was extreme and that she had never had a patient near that pressure. They relieved the pressure and began to treat Maxx. We were told that due to the amount of pressure Maxx would likely be blind in both eyes after being treated.

We left him there overnight for treatment and picked him up on Friday afternoon. We are taking him back this Tuesday for a follow up and long term planning. Maxx has Glaucoma. If you Google this you will find this is common in several breeds and seems to happen between 2-3 year old dogs. Maxx is 2 1/2 years old and always affects one eye first. If you continue to read, the symptoms Maxx had were textbook to what he had when he was seen in NC. The vet should have done a simple test and referred us to a specialist less than 15 minutes away. Instead we were treating him for an infection as he continued to go blind.

We have been told that if we had taken him to a specialist on Tuesday, his sight would have been saved. My wife called Banfield in Wesley Chapel and pleaded with them to be careful of providing the wrong info in a case like ours and my wife is much more forgiving than I but totally heartbroken. We were charged $160.00 for this misdiagnosis, and since have spent nearly $1000.00 and it isn't over yet. We have a healthy 2 1/2 year old fella that still has an average life span of 10-12 years that is totally blind due to the Wesley Chapel Banfield's misdiagnosis.

As I said before my wife is much more forgiving than I. My next expense is an attorney and I promise you that these people will pay for their incompetence! This is not about the money, I don't care what the cost to take these people to court or if we recover one cent. It's not fair to us or our Maxx that we suffer this due to someone's ignorance or negligence. This is one of the most heartbreaking events to affect our family in many years! Just remember that not all Banfield clinics are this negligent... The one in Myrtle Beach was very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2013

I took my kitten in yesterday in an emergency. He suddenly became sick and my regular vet was closed for the day. The first thing I found out about these Banfield people is they are disgustingly predatory and actually prey upon people with pets in distress. First they charged me $40.00 for just visiting the office (visiting the office!!). Then they wanted to do a blood test on him that cost 175 dollars for information they could find out much cheaper. Never have I seen such outrageous fees anywhere in my life.

The second thing I learned is they are incompetent when it comes to reading and dealing with people. It turned out my kitten, who has always been indoors, tested positive for the virus FIV. This killed me especially as this little kitten chose me and has been more like a buddy and a funny roommate than a kitten. I know I said I wanted to die, but they could have checked and made sure what I meant. I felt I had failed my little friend, and it crushed me. But they didn't check, they didn't ask if I was okay, nothing like that. Instead, they snatched the kitten away from me and lied to me, saying they were going to clean him up.

Unknown to me, they were calling the police while I waited! Yes, called the police who proceeded to haul me away in front of an entire store full of people. These disgusting vermin (Banfield) had the audacity earlier to not take the kitten's temperature because they said they didn't want to "stress him out". Gee, ya think maybe forcing him to stay in a strange place scared and alone might "stress him out???" But, how silly of me, then they could charge more money to keep him overnight!

So, as it stands now, I cannot even go to get him. What are they going to do, call the police again? Or just keep him as long as they can so they can get more money? Banfield in Independence, MO, you people are the most disgusting people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2013

I had a wellness plan for my cat for two years but when my renewal came up, I decided to not renew my plan as I had recently lost my job. I called Banfield and told them I did not want to renew my wellness plan and to please cancel it. My request for cancellation happened in October of 2013. On September 5, 2013, I got a call from Banfield telling me that my cat was due for a comprehensive exam to which I replied, "I don't have a wellness plan for my cat anymore." I was told by Banfield that I could come in for my cat's exam under some sort of donation fund they have.

When I went into my "free visit", I was told that my cat DID have a wellness plan. My previous wellness plan was set up on automatic withdrawal from my checking account. Apparently Banfield canceled my wellness plan from November till February and began removing monthly payments from my checking account for 8 MONTHS! WITHOUT MY CONSENT AFTER I CANCELED MY PLAN! They stole over $200 from me! When I called to get the issue resolved, I encountered nothing but rude, unprofessional people who hung up on me and yelled. I will never bring my cat back to Banfield and I highly recommend no one else does either!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

My son was convinced to accept the "insurance" offered by this establishment for $65.00 a month. On the few visits, there is always an additional cost offered. This last visit, I dropped the pet off at 8am and advised the clerk at the counter to call me with their assessment. I did not receive a call. I arrived at 5:30 pm to pick her up and they "were not finished with her". After waiting for an hour, we were finally asked to talk to the vet about a skin condition. I specifically dropped her off so as not to wait to be seen. I inquired as to the skin condition as was told, "You should have that looked at." Doing so was apparently not part of the $65.00 monthly fee - that is for healthy visits only. Why would someone pay $780.00 for yearly shots? The price for items recommended was absurdly overstated so as to show a "discount" as as part of the plan.

I've been to vets all over the country and have never seen anything like it. When the vet sensed my unease, she left the room and sent in the clerk to try and sell the additional items. I agreed to one item, with reluctance, only to find out it was not available. Keep in mind, I dropped the pet of at 8am with contact information. Why at 7pm are they discovering they do not have what the pet needed? The complete disregard for the pet and the owner was astounding. This so called "insurance" is a scheme to take advantage of unsuspecting victims. I would never recommend this company for anything, especially entrusting them to the well being of my pet, as well being is not their primary focus - money is.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2013

I got a new puppy and I went to Pet Smart to get her food, bowls, toys, treats etc. The Pet Smart associate sold me a new Puppy 2013 Starter Kit at the cash register. In this puppy kit there was a free consultation coupon with a Banfield veterinarian. So I made an appointment. The lady who registered me at the front desk asked me if I would like to enroll in the wellness plan. I told her I wanted to see how this visit went first. A vet nurse came and took us in the exam room. She asked what we were there for. I told her I would like to get my puppy's shots up-to-date. She asked me what shot do I need. I gave her the paperwork on my puppy's last shots. She still didn't know what shots I needed. Then she started talking about enrolling in the wellness plan. I told her that I wanted to see how this visit went before I made a decision. I will go home and discuss with my husband.

The doctor came in next and he started talking about himself, where he was from, how long he's been a vet. etc. He asked what we were there for and then he proceeded to talk about enrolling in the wellness plan. I told him I wanted to see how this visit went and I will talk it over with my husband at home. The doctor walked out of the room. At this time, I walked out of the room, went to the front desk to pay my bill and no one could understand why I was upset. I was upset because everyone at this place only cared about selling me something instead of taking care of my puppy. I do not recommend this vet. Go to your neighborhood vet. I did. Totally different experience.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2013

Our first visit with our puppy to Banfield, the doctor dropped him on the floor. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Boss was only 8 weeks old. However, the vet was very apologetic and she seemed very nice. So we decided to get the puppy plan with them. We notice that Boss had started to itch a lot and scratch even more and we noticed a patch of hair coming out. She said he probably had allergies, recommended Benadryl. Well, his next visit for a shot, we were told that his doctor had transferred. We saw Dr. **. Dr. ** told us that it didn't look like allergies to him. It looked like Mange and did some tests. It was Mange. He put us on a treatment plan and this is where it went downhill.

During this process, Boss also had gotten Giardia and had meds for it. After his meds were done, we had to get another test. I took them a stool sample that was supposed to be sent out to be tested to ensure it was gone. I came back for results and they said I never left the stool. They have nothing in his notes. I went back and forth with them and finally they agreed to do another test for free. Second incident, Boss was to have 4 dips for the Mange then start some meds. I took him for his last dip and they told me he had already had it. So here we go again! I had to go back and forth about how I know he had only come 3 times because I HAVE ONLY TAKEN HIM HERE FOR THREE DIPS!!!! Again, they can't find the info in his notes.

Finally, they figure it out and give him his last dip. Meanwhile, the associate on the phone tells me she cannot talk to me anymore because I am too confrontational. So now I am livid. I simply asked her why is it that you all do not keep good records of what's going on in there? Her explanation was, sometimes the doctors get overwhelmed and make MENTAL notes........ WHAT?!?!?! I am furious to know that my baby is basically depending on someone's memory or lack of memory in dealing with his health....... And she said I was confrontational?!?! I think I should be because HOW and WHY is this okay??? So if anyone is like me and feels like their pet is their baby and a family member, DO NOT take them to any Banfield anywhere!!!!!!! Keep your babies safe and healthy, somewhere else!!!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2013

Our 7-year old Irish Terrier Amy has recently been diagnosed with auto immune anemia. Luckily, we were referred by Banfield (after over 130.00 bill to look at her) to a specialist vet in the area. Our specialist has been faxing to Banfield all of Amy's records and information after each weekly visit. We got a call yesterday from Banfield that Amy is due for distemper and bordetella immunizations. Any pet with an auto immune disease cannot tolerate any immunizations. If we hadn't done our research and had taken Amy in for these shots, most likely she would die. Done with Banfield.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2013

I have had several bad experiences with Banfield Pet Hospital, Vancouver Mall Drive, Vancouver, Washington. However, I am only going to describe my most recent experience with them. My 6 year old dog had diarrhea for two days, and on the 3rd day she began vomiting, so I called Banfield and took her in immediately. After waiting 20 minutes to be helped, they put us in a room, and shortly one of the techs came in. I gave her a history of what was going on, and as she is typing on the computer she says to me, "Well, they will probably want to do x-rays." How much is that, I asked - her response was $206. I told her that I was not clear what an x-ray would even show, and that $200 was too much money.

When the vet came in, she said, "So, I understand that x-rays are too expensive for you, so we will do a gram stain (test of fecal matter) and take it from there." She left, and when she returned she said she had seen bacteria that she sees with salmonella and ordered 3 prescriptions to be given: amoxicillin as an antibiotic, cerenia for vomiting and an antidiarrheal medication.

The cerenia was to be given 1 hour before the other two meds to ensure that they would not be vomited back up. The "4 pack" of cerenia I received was one round tablet, broken (not cut) into 4 pieces and the cost was $33. Amoxicillin was $20 for 20 capsules (100 capsules go for $19) and the visit cost me $106 (I was not charged for the office visit, since I had already purchased a wellness plan). The vet never took her temperature, nor did she do any blood or urine tests.

This will be my last visit to Banfield, they over-charge (at least 3x the markup) on their prescriptions, they "hard sell" you with the premise of "you want to do what's best for your dog" and they try to get you to agree to tests or treatments that are not even necessary, but always expensive. I have even talked to the owner of this Banfield, Dr. Goff, and he ended up charging me $850 to pull 7 of her teeth, yet never scheduled any type of follow-up visit. I have paid almost $2,000 since going to Banfield the first of this year, but I have finally learned my lesson: they don't care about your animal, they only care about the almighty buck.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2013

Took my cat to see one of their vets. Vet seemed pleasant at first. Charged us for every little thing she did and didn't do. She prescribed a medication and included the medication in our bill, without our consent. We went on vacation and were unable to give it to the pet. After returning, we called and asked for a new prescription, since the medication was expired already. At first we were told to just come down and pick it up. When we finally called to pick up medication, we were told a different story, that we had to schedule a new visit as a follow up for them to even think about prescribing medication again (follow up for what since my pet never took the medication to begin with??).

After many calls and even a face-to-face visit, they refused to hand us a prescription or even approve one from an online pharmacy. During our face-to-face visit, no one wanted to take responsibility and they kept on telling us to pay for a new visit and that we would then receive a prescription. In short, they will only prescribe something if you purchase the medication from them. They are less than useless on the phone, and always pass on the issue to someone else who is NEVER in. The Vet refuses to take our call, and is always too busy to speak to us on the phone. NEVER, EVER take your pet to these scums.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

I bought a wellness program for my dog which I no longer have. Banfield has charged above and beyond for two wellness visits and continues to charge my account! By the time your year ends the cost is outrageous! Don't get this plan!!!!! Buyer BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I adopted a dog from Craigslist and, unfortunately, the previous owner was shoddy. He never got any papers to me and didn't contact me at all to see how she was doing or to answer my questions regarding her papers and vaccine record. Even worse, she ended up getting sick after just a few days. I took her to Banfield in Fort Collins and was unimpressed with the staff. None of them seemed to give a damn about my pup, except for the fact that she wasn't spayed. When I asked about the cost of a spay procedure, they quoted more than $200. I told them that was not affordable for me and that we weren't even sure if we wanted to spay. Instead of being understanding, the staff member rudely commented that my dog wasn't a purebred and no one would want a puppy from her anyway.

Sadly, with the checkup and medicine, the cost for the visit was well over what I had, as I was waiting for my paycheck which would be in the next day. The BRILLIANT employee decides to tell me that if I sign up for a wellness plan, the cost would be significantly less, nothing would be charged that day, and that I could pay for and pick up the medicine the next day after my pay was in. I was told I could cancel at any time and that it would be $25 a month (rounded). It just seemed to make sense. Yes, I was stupid and in hindsight, I should have just waited until I got paid and went to another vet, but my pup was sick and I wanted her to get better as soon as possible. So much for the $25 charge, I was getting $50 charges on my card, until my account was closed when I lost my job. Now they can't get their money and they keep calling me.

After reading all the reviews, I honestly don't want to give them more money. Between charging outrageous prices for services and continually charging for pets that are deceased or are not even being trusted to them anymore, I'd say they've screwed enough people. Seems to me like it's time for the people to screw them! I personally feel like they prey on owners who care deeply for their pets by quoting high retail costs and then using that as a means to get people to sign up for wellness plans. They treat you like you're the scum of the earth, until you fall for their charade and, in my case, even after, if you decline their 'caring' advice (i.e. pay $100+ extra for a spay procedure that was well done by a local vet for $97, including pain meds).

If you ask me, the wellness plan was based on the idea that they could charge annually for services that don't even cost them that price to offer. How many people REALLY make full use of the plan, except annual check up, shots, emergencies? So you either pay ridiculous fees for the services you DO use, or you pay a seemingly less ridiculous fee for services you don't fully use. The fact that they can discount everything with the wellness plan should show how much they overcharge in the first place. Also, Mike from FoCo, how do I get in touch with you?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

I have been a vet tech with Banfield for six years. It began as my dream job. Decent hours, a wonderful Chief of Staff and happy co-workers. I had always dreamed of helping and working with animals, and was finally given the chance because of a doctor who cared enough to take the time to teach me while I was going to back to school to study veterinary technology. Then we were taken over, by all things, a giant candy corporation. This made perfect sense of course - making chocolate and caring for pets is obviously a natural transition. That is when it began a rapid downhill slide toward the changing of priorities to the all-mighty dollar in place of pet care.

Reduced to skeleton staffing while more than doubling clientele and procedures, eliminating benefits, extending hours and hiring veterinarians who are so incompetent, they pose a constant danger to the pets. When specific, potentially harmful, practices were brought to several managers' attention, they were never addressed. Mainly because our profits were now so very wonderful, they didn't want to interfere. Hooray for them! How impressive. Unfortunately, I am not in a position where I can just walk out, but as soon as I'm able, I am gone. I don't even take my own pets there, regardless of the discount. Please find another animal hospital for your beloved pets.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2013

I have read numerous complaints about Banfield, unfortunately, after I took my dog in. Their responses on the BBB are all copied and pasted but I can see now why they have so many complaints on the BBB. They have a total of 597 that have been filed not to mention the hundreds of other complaints issued on other social media. I took my old dog in because he was bleeding from his rear end and had blood in his stool. I thought his time had come and took him in to see if there was something internally wrong with him. They had me drop him off and said they would call me once they had time to check him out.

Several hours later, I get a call and all they focused on was a skin condition and his ears pushing me to sign up for their preventative care program for only $37.00 a month. I asked them what about the blood coming out of his rear? Is he dying and if this is serious there is no reason to do some "preventative care" program. She said, "Well, that is a separate issue." It was the ONLY issue I brought him in for. However if I sign up for the preventative care program, they would run a blood test to see what is wrong with him, treat all his conditions and clean his teeth for $700. I could not afford that and told them so. They said well then they would give me a deal and if I sign up for the program they would treat his conditions for $189.00 plus 15% off prescriptions. I told them just do the blood test so we know if the dog is on his last leg or not. They said well, the blood test would be another separate issue at $160. I guess separate issue means that it is not covered under their program they are trying to get you to sign up for.

They call back after they do the blood test and again push me to sign up for the $37 a month plan. He has an intestinal infection which with antibiotics is treatable, but she adds he also has a skin condition and an ear infection - I asked about his eye which is troublesome and again she tells me that is a separate issue. I asked her how much of these issues are "flea related" and she said most of them are more than likely caused by fleas. Which BTW I have been battling all year and spent over $400 on flea products to no avail. We have zombie fleas this year with no hard freezes in the last 2 years. They are terrible and nearly impossible to combat. She says, "Well, that again is a separate issue." I asked how can it be a separate issue and not covered under their preventative care program with treating the fleas is surely preventative measure? Well, it just is not.

She never tells me until I get there that this preventative care program means that you must allow them access to your bank account and they will automatically withdraw from your account monthly. I refuse to sign up for it at that point for the Program only seems to cover dental cleaning and very menial care and leads to huge vet bills in the process. So she tells me well, since I am not becoming a member then I will have to wait until the vet has a chance to rewrite my bill for more. What a scam. I will never use them again and hope that consumers do the research and read the hundreds of complaints against them before taking their animals to the Banfield Pet Hospital.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2013

My animal went in for her comprehensive check up and when I picked her up in that evening I asked about Trifexis. Their price is $20 more than what I can get it online for. Then they told me that they have a contract with Trifexis and that all the online companies are selling it illegally, and they refused to give me her prescription so I could get it somewhere else. I found out that they make a commission from everything they sell. They also will not answer request for a prescription from other companies. Is this legal? And they withhold my dog's prescriptions from me.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

I wish to start a war with Banfield Pet Hospital and Mars Inc. that owns them. These people are ripping off America and it's time those of you who feel the same way to email me and we can discuss ideas on how to hurt this company. Any marketing strategies, protests, or other ideas are welcome. Let's stop them. Let's hurt their bottom line. Banfield knows there are a million complaints out there on them and they are doing everything to hide those facts for as long as the gig will last. Times up!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

I took my dog in for an ear infection. His ear had gone from mildly irritated to extremely infected in just a week, so I knew he needed some aggressive treatment. The staff took him in a back room to examine him, so I'm not able to say how thorough or appropriate the exam really was. They said they took a swab, and had the swab in their hand when they brought him back. The vet, who apparently JUST graduated in 2013, decided not to run the swab since she was giving him oral antibiotics, and those "should" take care of whatever it is. They didn't.

A week later (I actually only waited 5 days because I wasn't going to make him wait longer), his ear was HORRIBLE (see picture). I took him back in, was charged for a follow-up visit, and was told they were going to do a swab and send it out to be cultured. "How long will this take?" I asked. "About a week," was the reply. I about came unglued right there. So you mean to tell me that if they had just run the swab they collected LAST week, we would have results by now and would know what exactly is causing his infection?

At one point I was told the reason the swab wasn't run before was because they try to go the more affordable route (it's $165), and then later she said they didn't run it because it wasn't collected properly due to how bad his ear was (but his ear is the same today and you can collect it properly today? Yeah, okay). So now he is put on Prednisone (which should have also been done last week), but he has to wait 3 days to start it because he has to stop taking the previous anti-inflammatory medicine he was given, and now we have to wait an additional week for culture results, and they want me to bring him in AGAIN next week.

While all this is happening, I'm getting hard sales pitches from the staff about their wellness plans, at both visits. At this last visit, while my dog was in the back, he started barking, and I heard one of the staff yell, "Knock it off"... I don't know if it was directed at my dog, or one of the other animals in there, but either way, that's not appropriate.

I feel like the vet was completely out of line due to her lack of experience. My dog's ear should have had a swab done at the initial appointment, and should have been put on Prednisone at that first appointment in addition to the oral antibiotics. I should have also been informed that my dog could be given diphenhydramine to help him sleep better and to help with the itching, but I found that out when I contacted a different vet to discuss transferring his care to someone else.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2013

The vet was supposed to give my 18-lb. poodle 5 mg of Prednisone for her seasonal allergies, but she hit the wrong button (her story) and gave her 20 mg. The poor dog was a mess and could not control her bladder, walk straight and was zoned out for 10 days. I re-read the instructions on the meds and it said she might be hyper and urinate a lot. When I took her back for a follow up, the veterinarian apologized for her mistake, made a big display of her regrets, but that did not do much for the dog.This dog has a lot of social problems and does not trust anyone. She is shy around people and hides behind me when anyone approaches her. There have been multiple mistakes in the three years I have had a wellness contract with Banfield, but this was the final straw. I am done!! I cancelled my contract for both my dogs with Banfield Pet Hospital, but of course they would not give me any sort of refund on the remaining time on the contract. I now have a new vet.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2013

I've had a very bad experience at their Okemos, MI locations. I brought my cat Binks in because she had what appeared to be a cold. She was diagnosed with pneumonia. She is an older cat and I know she may not have much more life to live but I wanted to get her treated for her immediate condition and not much else. The staff was very friendly and informed me that due to some of the symptoms we described she could have kidney disease and to have the testing on it done, there would be an additional 127.00.

At that point the staff talked to us about the preventative care plan. We compared the difference in cost and I decided that I might like to go with it. We found out that her BuN and creatinine levels were high and were indicative of kidney disease. The doctor recommended fluid therapy and to retest to see what prognosis would be. I asked her what my cost was going to be because I had to have the money transferred from my moms account. Upon checkout I decided against the yearly preventative plan since we weren't sure how long Binks was going to live. When I brought Binks back on the 2nd day for treatment her paw had swelled up twice the size of the other. There was an abscess on her neck that needed to be drained. I told the receptionist that I wanted to see the doctor before anything happened.

I waited there for 40 minutes and the staff had already pulled the catheter and were starting a new one. The Doctor came out and said “Oh my, I didn't know you were waiting here.” I told her that I had some concerns. When I told her about the abscess, she said she noted it but it's nowhere on the paperwork. (I have the paperwork) She said it was going to cost an additional amount for the IV and the total additional cost for therapy and blood test was going to be 170. I had already paid 220 plus 180.

The Coban on her leg was way too tight and was cutting off her circulation, I suspected that is why her foot was so swollen and why she needed another cath. Her original quote was 180 for the two treatments but because of the change of plan, the price nearly doubled. She said that there was no way to remove the price of the cath. I told her I only budgeted an additional 50.00 for her treatment and if they could not provide service for that amount we would have to take Binks back home and take business elsewhere. She gave me Binks and our paperwork. There were several examples of negligence that occurred in this situation.

I felt taken advantage of with no other option but to walk away even though I need some additional medical care for Binks. I don't expect any compensation for anything. I'm only writing this to find out whether this is standard procedure and to expect this at any other Banfield office. If so, I will not be returning to any Banfield clinics. As well, my friends, colleagues and family will hear about my story. I was attracted to this clinic because I thought I would find reasonable prices and responsible care. Instead, I found that the care was well below standard. The staff was incompetent. Because of my concern for the swollen limb, I was very specific when I brought Binks back. I needed to speak to the doctor before she was treated and was reliant that was understood. I was required to wait 40 minutes before someone "realized" I was there waiting.

The staff had already started to treat her and were in the process of inserting a new catheter. I run a small business and it's not hard for me to realize I've made a mistake and compensate the customer. Even when it's a delivery issue and not my fault. I have a responsibility to help that customer have a positive experience. Sometimes it costs me money out of pocket to make the customer happy. However I'm safe in the knowledge that people who do business with me will not have to worry about feeling ripped off. My business has been very successful this way. I can only hope to inspire other businesses to do the same. Banfield is a sorry excuse for existence. I wish I had read other reviews before taking my pet there. I have committed animal abuse and owe my pet an apology.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2013

If anyone has any interest in their pet I would highly recommend staying away from any Banfield location. All they do is lie to you to get your money!!! I had the unfortunate experience of having my Golden Retriever (Sahara) get defensive about a bone with my Fiance's Toy Yorkie (Roxie). After Sahara nipped at Roxie we noticed that Roxie's eye was out of her socket. So we rushed her to Banfield because I used to take Sahara there and that was the closest vet we could think of. This was the biggest mistake I made. When we got there it took 2 hours before they told us what could be done, then they lied saying they would be able to stick the eye back in the socket. That there may be complications down the road where it may need to be removed in time if it doesn't heal properly. That this would only cost $1,400 for the operation.

Well the 2nd biggest mistake was asking them to proceed with the procedure. They told us that we can go home and they would give us a call when it was all said and done. Well we got a call in about an hour and they said everything looks good to come there and pick up Roxie. Which is one big lie!!! So we get there and they tell us, "Sorry we couldn't put the eye in but you still owe us $900, and we recommend taking it to an emergency 24/7 vet. Yes, you'll have to pay them as well." When I complained that I should have to pay for a procedure that wasn't done as promised they held Roxie hostage and wouldn't give her to us until we did. We had no choice since we needed to get her to the real Vet as soon as possible.

Blue Pearl where we took her to had her in right away and called us no later than 30 minutes and said the procedure went perfect and it only took her 10 minutes to do the operation. That her eye is responding to light and has movement and should heal great with maybe a little loss in vision. Yet Banfield couldn't do anything in almost 3-4 hours???? Again I repeat stay away from Banfield if you value your pets life!!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2013

Don't take your pet to these vets! I took my 13-year-old domestic Shorthair male cat to the Banfield in Peoria, AZ because he had a loose front tooth - it was sticking out over his upper lip. They recommended an extraction and dental cleaning. I could not afford the procedure, so they suggested their "wellness plan" to bring the cost down to something I could afford right away. They told me it was urgent to get him in right away so they "fit him into their schedule" the next day. Of course when they had him under anesthesia, they called to tell me he needed two more teeth extracted at the cost of another $150. The original tooth fell out on the table, but I was still charged for that extraction.

Four days after surgery, my cat blew up like a balloon. I took him back thinking he had a dental infection but the vet said he had air under his skin, generally caused by trauma. My cat is an indoor cat and lives in my master bedroom. The only trauma he suffered was the dental surgery. They wanted another $600+ to try to diagnose the problem. I did not have the money and suggested sadly that he be put down as he was suffering. They did not want to do that and sent me home with antibiotics (another $28). I brought him back a couple of days later as he had blown up to 3x his size and crackled when I petted him. He was not eating, drinking or using his litterbox. I had looked this up and found out it was subcutaneous emphysema, and my thought was that they punctured his trachea during intubation during surgery.

When I brought him back again, I suggested this and they said they doubted it happened then as the intubation tubes are small and flexible. They sent me home again, saying without more tests there was nothing they could do for him. I wrote a scathing survey on Banfield.com and two hours later got a call from the local hospital, saying they "wanted to do right by my pet", said this could have happened during surgery and offered an outside surgical consult. I went to the consult and the outside surgeon said "very likely" they tore his trachea during surgery.

It took a WEEK for me to get a call back from the vet surgeon who did this to my cat (she said she thought someone else had called me). I have called the Client Advocate department and have a case number, but still no one has called me about this and it has been over a week already. I talked to the surgeon today and she apologized for not calling me sooner, but NEVER apologized for what she did to my pet. Each time I took my cat in, they told me they had never seen this condition before. She said this was not negligence, not malpractice but an unexpected complication of the surgery. Really? My cat went in for a TOOTH EXTRACTION! Thankfully he is slowly recovering. After his trachea finally healed, the air is being reabsorbed into his system.

I reversed the charges on my credit card and am going to be like a fly on crap until they respond to me. You will see this review on every consumer website I can find. If they think I am paying for that wellness plan they can think again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2013

My regular vet's hours are inconvenient for me right now, so I thought I'd take my cats to Banfield for their shots. I found a coupon online for a free exam and consultation, so I thought it would also save me some money. Bad move. The pet "hospital" check-in desk was not in a separate room in the store - it was out in the open, just like the cash registers. The front-desk receptionist checking me in needed to weigh the cats, and the scale was in front of the desk, open to the entire store. My cats are strictly indoor pets and have never been exposed to the type of noisy, wide-open environment that's typical of a big box store.

I was offered a leash, but my cats aren't leash-trained and I was afraid they'd injure themselves trying to escape a leash. So, I kept my hand on each cat during the weigh-in, and the weights are probably inaccurate as a result. Not only were the cats distressed being exposed like that, but I was afraid they'd bolt into the store and out the door. I was lucky to get them both back into the carrier before the next customer with a dog arrived moments later. The exam room doors also opened directly to the store, and it did not feel secure. The noise from the store was still loud inside the room and made the cats even more nervous.

A young woman came into the room and introduced herself by name, but didn't mention that she was a vet tech, not the doctor. She began entering basic information in the computer, then turned on an information video before leaving the room. I wasn't asked if I wanted to view the video, and it sounded more like an annoying sales pitch than pet health information, so I turned it off after about 30 seconds. The young woman came back into the room and began examining the cats (she tried to hide her surprise that I'd turned off the video). While talking to her about the cats' health, I came to the realization that she was a tech, not a veterinary doctor. After the exams, she began totaling my bill in the computer, and I reminded her that I had a coupon for a free exam and consultation. She adjusted my bill and left the room again.

She returned with the veterinary doctor who performed a very brief, perfunctory exam and gave the cats their shots. After they got the FVRCP, the vet informed me that I'd need to come back to get the booster in 3 weeks since this was the cats' first FVRCP. I told her that it wasn't - they got that every year at their regular vet. But they entered it on the vaccine record as only being valid for three weeks, pending a booster. I'm boarding the cats in a few weeks, and will have to show proof of current FVRCR, so I'm going to have to make another appointment. But trust me, I'm going to their regular vet to get this straightened out. I will never go back to Banfield ever again.

The vet and the vet tech were very nice, pleasant, and were good to my cats. Although I didn't get the same feeling of confidence from the vet that my regular vet conveys, the vet was very professional in her demeanor. But, when I pay for a veterinary exam I expect a full exam to be conducted by a veterinary doctor, not a tech. I had to remind various staff members at least 4 times that I had a coupon for a free exam and reduced fee for a 2nd exam before the charges were adjusted on the bill. Overall, I came away from the visit with the feeling that this pet "hospital" is not about providing quality veterinary care, but rather, it's about up-selling products and services and bilking the consumer out of as many dollars as possible. I left feeling extremely annoyed by the manipulative tactics used by all the staff to sell their wellness plans.

When I left I was told about a customer survey that I could fill out. I did that, but was dissatisfied with that as well. It didn't provide enough space to detail the specific reasons for dissatisfaction. I have boarded my cats at the PetsHotel in the same store where the Banfield pet "hospital" was located, and I've had nothing but excellent service and great satisfaction at the PetsHotel. So, I went to Banfield with the same expectation, only to be let down. I'm giving Banfield one star only because the staff was friendly in spite of all the other sources of dissatisfaction; otherwise, it would be zero stars if that option were available. My advice if you're considering taking your furry family members to Banfield: Go elsewhere. It might cost you a little more, but you'll save in the long run and you and your pets will be happier.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2013

Took my 9-lb dog because he was vomiting and in pain when you touched his back... Vet gave me 4 different medications and was told if he feels better you don't have to come back. If he doesn't then come back for follow up... I wasn't convinced that the Banfield vet knew what was wrong and didn't seem confident. Kept saying I don't know so I took my dog, all his medicine and went to a vet recommended by several people. Well other vet, NOT Banfield, told me, "Wow, they gave him all these antibiotics? It's because she didn't know what was wrong with him and one of these would knock out whatever he had."

He also proceeded to tell me how Banfield rips people off on the wellness plan. If you value your pet's life, DON'T take them to Banfield. I was even told by a PetSmart employee NOT to go to Banfield. Even he/she doesn't trust them. I now take my pet to another trusted vet and it does NOT cost that much. Banfield just raises their prices up drastically to make you think you're getting a discount and you're not. PLEASE do your research and do not go to Banfield. So after I cancelled my plan with Banfield, they send me a $200 collection letter to which they say it was for services that the plan covered for the year even though my pet no longer was on the plan but supposedly even after I canceled and we never went. Somehow they say the vets still provided for my pet? Really? I will never ever take a loved pet to Banfield. They don't care about your pet. They care about how much money they can make off you.

Original review: July 23, 2013

I took my 15 year old cat to Banfield today since my vet was on vacation and I had a coupon for a free office visit. Bad move. After bloodwork and urinalysis they determined she had a urinary tract infection. They prescribed Covenia 80 mg injectable which my cat had 2 years ago for the same problem. The cost of the Covenia $57.68 which was more than double what I paid for it 2 years ago. I questioned the cost of the meds and the vet tech said, "I don't know anything about it".

Then they recommended the Optimum Wellness Plan, which looked pretty good until I read the Terms and Conditions. If my pet died during the year, I would either have to pay back all of the retail prices for the services received in that period or pay the installments for the remainder of the year. And the Provider could cancel the plan at anytime for any reason. Does this sound reasonable? I don't think so. Sounds like a rip off to me. I suggest to everyone to read the fine print of the contract.

Original review: July 23, 2013

I had been taking my Pug, Chase, to Banfield for his veterinary care since he came to live with us. A few months previous to this incident, Chase had been diagnosed with epilepsy and placed on anti-seizure medication which seemed to be helping with his seizures. One Saturday morning, I noticed Chase had vomited his breakfast. Aside from that, he wasn't himself. He was just lying around, he didn't want to go for a walk or go outside. He wasn't interested in playing or eating or spending time with anyone. He was drinking water but he would promptly vomit even that up. I called his vet. The receptionist told me they could not see him until Monday. She never informed the vet of his symptoms. She never recommended we take him to an emergency treatment center. Just told me he could not be seen until Monday and essentially hung up on me.

I called back later that day, as Chase had gotten worse. He was shaking. His eyes were filmed over and he was just clearly a very sick puppy. Same thing - didn't speak to the vet, didn't tell me to take him somewhere else, just told me there was no way he could be seen. I asked her if it was a problem that he was unable to even keep down his epilepsy medication and she sort of just blew that off.

Sunday night I knew we had to do something. Chase seemed barely conscious. His body was shaking. He still couldn't eat or drink and couldn't keep down his seizure medication. I took him to an emergency vet in Turnersville, who was shocked that he was as sick as he was. The vet there said she couldn't speak for any other vet, but if she had heard symptoms like these, particularly in a dog with epilepsy, she would have either made time to see him herself or referred him to someone else immediately. Chase was suffering from severe pancreatitis, and the vet told us it was a good thing we had brought him in when we had. He was suffering from dehydration and malnourishment and had an extremely high fever; there was a good chance he could have died if we had waited for his appointment on Monday.

I have contacted Banfield about this; it is ridiculous that they acted as if my dog simply had a little stomach bug that would go away on its own. The receptionist never even spoke to the vet about his symptoms, and now a woman I never once spoke to named Fawn is claiming she told me to take him to emergency care. I never spoke to a woman named Fawn and NO ONE ever told me to take him anywhere else. Their entire attitude was that he was probably fine and could wait until they had an opening for him.

Chase is still in the hospital as I type this. He seems to be recovering well. He has been on IV fluids and a feeding tube and is slowly coming around. When I think about what might have happened if I had listened to the fools at Banfield, it makes me want to cry. They may deal with many sick dogs every day, but this is MY dog, and he is part of my family, and they treated him as if his very life was unimportant. I am continuing to speak with Banfield to find out how they could treat their patients this way, and I have since switched vets. I do not recommend this place to anyone. They don't care about their patients.

Original review: July 22, 2013

I am so confused. Banfield received such horrible ratings. All I can say is amazing. They were completely amazing. We were battling cancer unfortunately the cancer won. The day that my dog was put to rest, the assistant, Jess, was able to do something that I was unable to do which was stand by my dog's side until her last breath. There is nothing more that I would ever ask for from this place. I strongly recommend Banfield Pet Hospital in Whitehall Allentown PA

Original review: July 22, 2013

After having my female dog spayed I had a lot questions before bringing her home. I addressed these questions to a manager by the name of Chrissy **. I was taken back by her whole demeanor. She seemed to rush us right out the door after collecting our cash. It seems like Banfield Pet Hospital is all about their numbers and not about quality customer service. We are considering changing vet hospitals and going back to a little small town vet hospital. I would suggest retraining Ms. ** on her approach with good paying customers who pay their bills in cash. Extremely disappointed customer and we will be sharing our experience on social media about Ms. ** and Banfield Veterinary.

Original review: July 18, 2013

I have a lot of experience in treating sick animals and I am very good on the internet. I have my college degrees, a photographic for numbers and spatial reference, and years of treating really serious equine injuries. I took a sick cat to Banfield after I had been treating him myself for two weeks, and I was confident he was out of danger and on the way to recovery. I have an excellent vet but I have no health insurance for the animal and he had a foreign object blockage. Treatment options are basically hospitalization & surgery, or force feeding to keep him alive and pour tons of kitty lax down him and hope he passes the foreign object on his own.

In all likelihood, he should be dead right now. But I did everything I could, forced water/pedialyte/wet food and lots of Laxatone into this cat for ten days. Thought about putting him down every one of those ten days, but he kept breathing and I kept going. After nine days of barely showing any signs of consciousness, he peed and after ten days, he passed the foreign object. The cat at this point was very underweight and very dehydrated but his faculties had started working and he started to show signs of knowing where he was.

My biggest concern now was that I had nicked his cheek with a fingernail or spoon or something while force feeding him and his cheek was swollen from a slight infection and he was uncomfortable with eating and drinking. Banfield had given me a coupon for a 'free office visit & checkup' and I took him in for antibiotics, fluids, and shot to stimulate his appetite. The twenty-something Vet advised I do exactly that. The most common antibiotics for cats (clavamox liquid) cost about $15, one quick bag of subcutaneous fluids about $15-20. I had enough money for both and my intent was to get the antibiotics, the fluids, and a shot to stimulate his appetite. The twenty-something did keep looking for the infection and like she had never seen an infection and had to be shown where it was.

Imagine my surprise when the charge for the antibiotics alone was $42. I just looked at her and I kept asking, "Are you sure?".... I didn't feel this vet have enough years of practice or knowledge to deal with a sick animal. I felt the Vet Tech had enough years and knowledge but the Vet, nothing. She was there to get me to spend money.

In the end, I didn't have the money and I had to make a choice. I took time off work, I was using up the last of my physical reserves, and I needed the antibiotics. So I took the pet home, dangerously thin, dangerously low on fluids with $15 worth of antibiotics which I paid $44 (with tax) for. I would never go back to Banfield. Banfield is a marketing gimmick. These people aren't Vets, they are there to sell you overpriced services and goods. The only reason the Vet knew the cat was sick was because I told her. I believe my cat was smarter and better educated, and little more coherent than my twenty-something vet. I would never go back there.

Original review: July 18, 2013

I took my cat to Banfield several times starting in late May because she was urinating all over the house. They diagnosed her with a bladder infection and possible kidney stones. They never ran a urine sample because my cat's bladder was empty. They put her on antibiotics and told me to come back in a week or so. I brought her back and they ran a urine sample and told me there were crystals in my cat's urine which meant she had non-palpable kidney stones, prescribed another round of antibiotics and a prescription diet to help break down the crystals.

Today, I took my cat to a Veterinary Hospital because it's been months of trying different things and she was just getting worse. I was told that the type of bladder infection that Banfield was treating my poor cat for occurred in less than 1% of the feline population and that kidney stones were only detectable by ultrasound or X-ray, neither of which were performed. My cat was in severe renal failure and had to be put down. If we caught this sooner when she first presented symptoms she would have been okay for another couple of years. I had another cat go through it and know how to administer proper fluids and diet for Renal failure. Renal failure diets involve low protein diets, the diet that they put my cat on for kidney stones is high protein/high fat. If you love your pet, DO NOT TAKE YOUR ANIMAL TO THIS OVERPRICED JOKE OF A VET!!!

Original review: July 18, 2013

Banfield Pet Hospital is by far the worst veterinarian group out there. Our dog had been going to the Nashua, NH location for years for chronic ear infections, skin infections, and allergies. He has been treated with numerous rounds of antibiotics and steroids. They convinced us to purchase their insurance and told us our dog has a heart murmur and should really be seen by a cardiologist. He has had every test imaginable: thyroid, allergy, blood panels. All came back normal.

Well years and literally thousands of dollars later, we moved and found a new veterinarian. He ran a complete blood panel, allergy test, thyroid test, and an echocardiogram. The results came back, and he has hypothyroidism, allergies to numerous environmental stimuli and NO heart murmur. Banfield is just out for your money and not the health of your pet and will try to upsell you at every turn. Do yourself and your pet a favor and stay FAR away from these guys.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information