Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Nov. 25, 2012

I took my dog in the end of October to be seen for a virus. I took her back on Nov. 3rd for a recheck and had them give her vaccinations that were due. I was told we would have to come back in 3 weeks for a booster on one of the shots. When I checked in, I confirmed that all I was there for was the booster shot. When the tech came in, I once again confirmed all I wanted was the booster shot. 45 minutes later when the vet came in and started to examine the dog. I told her I was just there for the booster shot. She wanted to do several other tests although my dog had just been checked 3 weeks earlier and was okay. I would highly recommend that this vet clinic be avoided. Not only are they deceptive when it comes to being upfront about costs, they ran from 30 min. to 1 hour behind during each visit. It's a poorly managed clinic.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2012

Even though I don't have a horror story, I still believe it's a cause for a complaint. I had asked the Banfield people if they could walk my dog before I picked him up from his surgery and they said yes, they would. I came back at the time they told me to come and he "wasn't ready" for pickup. So I waited another two hours then came back. After they gave him to me, I had asked if he had been walked and they said no. I asked why not and they told me that it was against their policy to walk them. So I was still scorned because he peed on the floor and they looked at me like I should pick it up! Umm, hello! I asked them to walk him and no, they basically refused to. I know from all the comments I'm reading about Banfield I'm going to try to cancel both dogs plans!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2012

I believe that my daughter (Taylor) was not given the proper information to make informed decisions concerning surgeries on her pets. As a result, the surgeries that were performed on her pets (Kaiya and Knox), we now believe were not necessary. Listed below are the facts as we understand them.

On 12/01/11, Kaiya was presented to Dr. Kimberly in the Charlotte, N, NC hospital for illness. Taylor's complaint was that Kaiya was lethargic, has a choking cough, not eating. The only abnormal findings were dehydration level of 5%, teeth discoloration and pale gums. Taylor was told that Kaiya has some form of tick disease. She never denied treatment.

On 12/08/12, Kaiya was brought back for a follow up exam - illness rechecked because Kaiya's condition has not gotten better. This was done by Dr. Gillian. The abnormal findings still include the aforementioned but now added inflammation of the tonsils, a weak pulse, a distended abdomen, enlarged liver, gas-filled loops in the intestines, not palpable uterus and bladder, enlarged spleen, an abdominal mass and extremely concerning labs. All this happening in one week's time. Taylor is told Kaiya has an intestinal blockage and needs an immediate operation to remove the blockage. Care Credit was obtained and surgery was performed only to find cancer causing Kaiya to be euthanized. It's obvious to us now that some of the notes describing the interaction between Banfield's staff and Taylor does not accurately depict what actually transpired. The possibility of cancer was never explained and a biopsy on the mass was never done. The reason why Kaiya's records were obtained and are now being questioned is because of our next experience with Banfield with Knox as the patient.

On 07/02/12, Knox was presented to Dr. Rebecca at Charlotte, N, NC for vomiting and diarrhea. The only abnormal findings were brown exudates in both ears and tartar on teeth. The labs showed a positive finding for ehrlichia. Vaccines were given and meds were prescribed for GI upset and ehrlichia. On 07/03/12, Taylor came home to Pittsboro from UNC Charlotte for the holiday. Knox was again vomiting and still had diarrhea. Knox was presented to Dr. Corinne at the Banfield in Apex, NC. Knox has gotten worse. A radiography was performed showing a gas pattern. A foreign body was suspected but not actually seen. Knox was sent to Cary emergency for surgery. No surgery was ever performed at Cary emergency because they had found negative results on an ultrasound and he had not vomited. Knox was there for two days at a cost of $800.00.

On 07/05/12, Knox was brought back to Apex, seen by Dr. Corrine and Dr. Katherine who now decided to do exploratory surgery on Knox. Why? No foreign body was found. This surgery should never had been done. On 07/07/12, I finally picked up Knox after denying their request to keep him another day. I was given a big syringe to give Knox BeptoBismol and a food slurry that I had to prepare. I was told that he was still vomiting and could not walk well. Knox was carried to the car by Banfield staff.

As soon as we got home, Knox exited the car on his own and urinated. Prior to his arrival home, my wife and I prepared white rice and boiled chicken breasts, which were minced up and mixed with the rice. Knox ate a cup of this immediately and drank water. He continued to eat this twice a day, not once vomiting or having diarrhea. I never gave him beptobismol or the food slurry. Once a day for three days, I did give him the Omni. He improved drastically in two days, being able to play with our dog at this time. Every day he improved and was looking like he was putting weight back on. His stitches were removed on 07/14/12 at the Apex Banfield. He was being slowly introduced back to his regular food by this time.

Hopefully after your review, you'll see that something went terribly awry here twice and you will make the proper adjustments so this matter can end and avoid any further need for us to pursue this with the NC Veterinary State Board, the media and an attorney. Thanks in advance.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2012

Banfield Sunset Hills, MO was supposed to check out a wart-looking growth on my dog's back while he was getting his teeth cleaned. Instead, they removed a benign tumor on his thigh and called it "misunderstanding." No apology, but of course charged me for their mistake. Eventually they waived the fee of $44 and it seemed to be settled. Two days later, my dog pulled out the stitches of the cut he should not have had in the first place. I brought him back to Banfield to stitch him back up and they were going to charge me $426.

I filed a complaint, asking them to waive the fee for restitching and talked to the clinic manager, who refused to help me out in any way. She stated that will not give me a freebie since I didn't put an e-collar on him. If I refused to pay, she would call a collection agency. In summary, Banfield performed an unnecessary, unauthorized surgery and charged me for further complications. The staff was rude and incompetent. I cancelled my plan immediately. No help from their customer service either. They just file a report and send it to the clinic itself.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2012

The wellness plan presented for my cat was not clear. If you visit this pet hospital, remember they will spend the majority of your pet’s visit discussing financing. In a roundabout fashion, you pay for the service rendered at the first visit. The wellness plan for 1 year is to be automatically renewed, will charge an additional amount per month. Why the plan? It works if you want a small discount on items they push. You may pay more overall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2012

After sitting with my sick kitten for four hours, I finally left Banfield at Chesapeake Square Mall, Chesapeake, VA. 99% of the staff are rude - they had a cat in isolation, screaming at the top of his lungs and the girls that were treating the poor cat were laughing. I've never seen anything like them in my life. I took my kitten home and decided to find a vet that truly was concerned for my pet's health - not a bunch of morons that think a cat screaming in pain is hilarious! I hope they go to hell for their mistreatment of the animals in their care. I plan to contact our local PETA about the mistreatment of the animal in their care. I hope they close the clinic down. You can't get quality pet care from a box store - the people that work there are sub-human!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2012

Please stay away from Banfield Pet Hospitals! Their only motivation is money, just like PetSmart! My 11 week old puppy, which was adopted only 5 days earlier, started vomiting every 20 minutes. I immediately thought Parvo and took him to Banfield, since we adopted him from a PetSmart via the SPCA. They tested him, told me it was Parvo; hundreds of dollars later, and that they were closing and could not treat him! Excuse me? Why didn't you tell me that before you charged me hundreds to do nothing?!

So I kept asking questions, like what are his chances and since he was just adopted, shouldn't this be the responsibility of the SPCA, and I need to make some phone calls to figure out my options. They kept pressuring me (since they were closing and the clock was ticking for them) to take him to the veterinary hospital in the next town for $1,000 a night and who knows how long it will take. No one knows how long or even if he will recover, it could take weeks at $1,000 per night. And surely they get a kick back because they were very concerned about his "transfer paperwork".

In the meantime, my husband reached the SPCA, who arranged for a veterinarian that night and took full responsibility of his care since he had the disease when they adopted him to me. Long story short, Banfield was only in this for themselves and discouraged me over and over not to pursue the SPCA. I only lost the hundreds they charged me for nothing and not the several thousand they were suggesting for his care. I am beyond disgusted. I will never return and tell everyone I know the same. Find a private vet, who has done this for a while and has a great track record. I know I will.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2012

Poor care of pet & worthless wellness plan: We took out the little Cairn Terrier in because he was breathing heavy. They proceeded to tell my wife that he had lung infection or thyroid problem and issued an antibiotic to give him. They really did not think it was a big issue. After a week of him not improving, my wife took him back and instructed them that he was getting worse. My wife brought him in at 8:20 AM. The people there proceeded to take a dog that was already having a hard time breathing and apparently put him in a cage in the back where the other dogs were.

When my wife called at 9:00 AM, they told my wife that our 5.5-year old puppy had just died. It appears that they did not check on him until my wife called. They told her they thought he was just sleeping. I know exactly what happened - they did not check on him. They threw him in a cage where the other dogs were, barking their heads off. He got excited being around other dogs and barked with them, until he barked himself to death due to lack of oxygen. He should have been isolated to keep him calm due to breathing issues. My wife also had been paying for a monthly health wellness plan which was of no help. Then, Banfield presented us with a bill for $125.00 to cremate him and send his ashes to our home. Two weeks later, no ashes have been received!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2012

Be careful before you purchase this plan. They will claim it saves you money over time, but it does not. First of all, they mark up their medications about 400% to make up for their free unlimited office visits. You can get the same RX at Walmart for one-tenth of the price. Secondly, they tell you they will give you a 10% discount on all other services; however, my son who doesn't have the plan took his dog in and paid the same price I did for the same service. To top it all off, my dog needed emergency surgery. I called them at 9:00 A.M. to see if they could do it, but as of 5:00 P.M. nobody has returned my call. My dog is already in surgery at another vet's. When I called to cancel the plan, their representative was rude and treated me as though I was an idiot for wanting to cancel. Please save your money on quality health care for your pet somewhere other than Banfield.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2012

I've been taking my dog to Banfield for years now. I got the Wellness Plan after telling me it would save money. It never did. Every time I take the dog to Banfield, I'm told this or that needs to be done and some of the dumbest reasons why. I'm going to be honest here good people, I work for Petsmart (number of years). Don't take your animal to Banfield, they will take you for every penny you have and try and scare you into buying everything and anything. Take your animals to any other vet, but not to Banfield. Stay away from the Fort Worth (downtown) Banfield. Horribly greedy people.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2012

I really wish my husband would have done some research before for signing up with Banfield. They are a total scam and have made it impossible for us to get out of our contract. We have paid for over 3 years and were told we could finally cancel on Oct 1. Surprise, surprise, we've been hit with two more auto draft charges! They are impossible to call, and you will wait forever on hold to speak with customer service (who are extremely rude by the way). In the long run, you will end up spending more with Banfield than if you take your pet to a regular vet and pay upfront. I understand how it may look attractive to pay on a monthly basis instead of the larger sum in beginning but I promise, you will save money and stress in the end. Also, understand that even when you sign up with Banfield if they do anything above and beyond a regular visit, you will have to pay extra! I am now at the point of disputing charges with my bank. Too bad for me, my husband gave Banfield a checking acct number so it's likely we won't be refunded. If you are desperate or dumb enough to sign up with Banfield, at least use a credit card. It will give you slightly more protection.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2012

Banfield Wellness Plan is a scam. Employees at the pet hospital (Banfield) do not inform you that once you sign up for the Wellness Plan, you are basically stuck with the product and you cannot cancel. No one ever told that I couldn't cancel it. It is a true scam and Banfield Headquarters refuses to speak with its customers. Rude staff is handling phone calls at the corporate office.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2012

Ripoff and poor quality care. The wellness plan will not save you money. They'll find many ways to make you spend lots of money there. My kitten's spay has been a nightmare! They keep telling us it's our fault when we've done everything right. It's grossly infected and she's been in her cone at all times and she is never alone for more than 3-4 hours a day. I work from home and have never seen her go after her incision and she is constantly in her cone. Yet her incision bursts open with infection. Now they want $200 more to reseal it. That's more than some places charge for the original surgery! I still have 9 more months of payments on the plan, but I never want to go back to that filthy place. I wish I would have researched. I see I'm not alone.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2012

False test and information: They said they ran test on my cat and he was very healthy. And then I found out that he had a very large tumor in his stomach and because of the wrong information, he passed away.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2012

I had called for an appointment for my guinea pig and puppy for emergency care. I was told on the phone by a vet tech if I didn't show up for my appointment, it would result in me not be able to come back there. I arrived at PetSmart and got checked in and told the vet tech what was said to me. The vet came out and asked if we needed to have a conversation in an intimidating fashion. I told him how I didn't like to be talked to on the phone in that manner. He said for us to find another place to go (in so many words). My puppy is still sick and my guinea pig didn't get his toe nails trimmed as a result of. I would not take a dead gold fish to this vet ever again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2012

My mom's Shih-poo, Sonny Boy, went in for his neuter and microchip yesterday. He is exactly 6 months old and also has 4 baby teeth left. When I asked for an evaluation of his teeth and an estimate on retraction if necessary, no one would give me a straight answer. In fact, I was asked by the front desk nurses/staff how much I was willing to pay. I said, "excuse me" - apparently these services are negotiable. After much banter, they said to me that each tooth could be $10-$40. I said that if the estimate was over $75 for the teeth, that they needed to call and give an itemized list of expenses. They agreed. I left waiting to expect a call. 10 minutes later, they asked me to come back and sign more papers. Anyway, my older mother received a call about her puppy and was harassed by the doctor telling her that it was completely necessary to pull all of his baby teeth out at a cost of $90 a tooth. The full estimate was $440 for 4 baby teeth that would eventually fall out.

My mother thinking this was her only option hung up the phone in tears and disbelief at the cost. Luckily, I immediately was informed and had to call Banfield and put up a huge fight just so they would not pull his teeth. Is this how Banfield works? They must make commission. This is a complete disgrace - taking advantage of elderly and impressionable people while providing ** service. Also, the doctor refused to speak with me, and when I picked up Sonny, I had to deal with a ton of attitude and disdain. Needless to say, my mother or I will never use Banfield again. On a side note, when my puppy was neutered and microchipped, my doctor pulled baby teeth complimentary and said it was no big deal.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2012

I took my 15 week old adopted puppy, Jack Russell terrier, for his third booster and rabies vaccine because I had a certificate for a free initial consult. I was always pleased with PetSmart and felt that I could "trust" their vet services. My husband and I were shocked at all of the vaccines and other treatments they were trying to tell us our puppy needed on that first visit. He was only 7.6 lbs and they wanted to inject him with everything under the sun.

On top of that, they wanted to charge us $20 for Benadryl, when they admitted that I could give him children's chewable Reditabs. They charged us $10 for poop disposal, $3.95 for needle disposal. They were going to charge $26 for checking the stool for worms only to turn around and treat him anyway because they said they get a lot of false negatives. I said not to test the stool, just treat. They tried to sell the insurance by saying that he would need to be seen every three weeks for the first year of his life!

I have never heard of such a thing! When the first told me what his initial visit would cost, it was over $200. After I argued the necessity of what they were saying, my final bill was $64.00, because I had the coupon. I will never go back there. To the unsuspecting pet owner, you will most certainly be ripped off. They are out to make money, not care for your pet. Your local Animal Rescue League has a clinic and has fair pricing and the money goes to a good cause.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2012

Delayed care for my dog: My dog Boo is 7 years old. Every year he gets his teeth cleaned. The Tustin, CA location had me bring him in at 8 am on 9/22/12. They told me that he would be ready for pick-up around 3 pm but that someone would call me to let me know how he is doing. At 3:30 pm, the front office called me to say Boo still hadn't been treated because the machine they use to clean teeth had malfunctioned and wasn't working but that they were just starting the procedure. They should've called me hours before that giving me the option to come and get him or to have him just wait and they would get it done. No one apologized to me for not calling me and notifying me. I got an excuse from the doctor that they had a sick cat that took precedence. This doctor didn't apologize to me either. I got a handful of excuses.

These people obviously have no idea how to handle and escalate issues properly to make the customer feel that they are being heard and that the issue would be addressed to all of the staff so that this doesn't happen again. Then you're given the reasons why there was a delay and why the customer was never given the option to come and get their pet and reschedule the visit. You never take control away from a customer especially when it comes to their pets. We feel that our pets are family members, we respect them and consider their happiness. I wouldn't ever let my dog sit in a kennel for an entire day like this! I'm disgusted by Banfield's behavior towards us. It is unethical and careless.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

I had a "Wellness plan" for both my dogs from Banfield. My credit card was stolen a few months back and when that happens, a $24 auto-draft charge from Banfield is the least of your worries. I received no letter or anything letting me know that they could no longer auto draft out of my account. I received a call reminding me of the upcoming shots that were due for my Shorkie, Henry. She also let me know that they had not received payment in 3 months. I called and set up a payment plan to pay half and half of what was due, which ended up being well over $300 with late-fees.

After dealing with their in-house collections (who was very nice by the way), I started receiving between 10-18 calls a day from their outside collections company (which I had been told had not been contacted yet). When I spoke the the collections agency (IC Systems), they spoke with me like I was an idiot. I told them I do not appreciate being harassed at work, literally, and that I had already taken care of this with Banfield. She said the state of Texas allows 20 calls a day under state law and that it is not harassment and until she heard from Banfield, they would continue to call me. I then called Banfield and asked them to let them know. He told me that he would send it to them, no apology or anything. Needless to say, I called the same day and canceled my plans. There is no reason for that if I have taken care of it, yet they had no remorse or customer service to apologize.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this place. I took my puppy here for dehydration because of a stomach virus. My dog had been throwing up for 3 days with diarrhea. I went to the clinic at 10 am that morning putting my dog in hands that I trusted. The clinic called me back at 3 pm telling me they ran a blood work on him and said he has a virus. When I told them he was severely dehydrated, they told me he wasn't dehydrated one bit (anyone in their right mind would know that a dog that has been throwing up for 3 days and has had diarrhea would be dehydrated). Yet they hadn't given him any fluids ...

When I asked Jennifer to give him fluids to hydrate him, she told me it was not necessary. I begged to give him the fluids that he needed and she informed me that the clinic was going to close in two hours and they wouldn't provide him with them. When I asked how he was doing, she told me he was not doing any better and that he was ready to be picked up due to their closing time and told me to take him somewhere else if I wanted any more health attention for him. Once again, I begged her for his fluids due to his dehydration. She called me back 30 min. later telling me she had given him a shot of electrolytes of which she has quickly informed me about the price of it.

I asked her what the total price of my bill would be since I was on my way to pick him up. She told me it was $347. When I got to the clinic, I was informed that my bill was $499 even though the shot they had just given him was $40. I wrote a check and waited an hour for my dog. After an hour went by, they told me they would not give me the medicine because my dog bit Jennifer in the process of the shot. When I asked Jennifer to show me the bite, she refused to show me the bite and argued that she was bleeding and was going to the hospital instead.

Afterwards the manager of the clinic refused to give me the medicine and warned me that Animal Control with the police was coming by. My dog had been in this clinic since 10 am without any treatment. If it weren't for me, he would not even get any fluids at all, not to mention they didn't give him any water to which they admitted too. I told them that my dog needed to go home and get rested but they still wanted to threaten me. I gave them my vet's number, my address and my phone number and told them if anyone wanted to contact me about my dog, they were more than welcome to.

When I called the clinic back and checked on Jennifer, she was very rude and hung up on me. I didn't even have the heart to tell about her rudeness or how I was spoken to from her. I couldn't even believe people such as this person were working at an animal shelter. I came for help to this clinic, trusted these people who "help the animal when the health is needed." Instead, they didn't do anything to help him until I begged them to at least give him fluids. Now, I am at home with a "still sick dog." I paid $500 instead of $347 plus $40 and at the end, I left with nothing but a heartache. I really hope people will research their vets before they put their beloved pets into hands of these people.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2012

My companion of 15 years started losing weight and not eating. I took him to Banfield in Bakersfield. I was told that will be $300 plus for his care or I could sign up for their wellness plan and I would only need to pay $130.00. I did not have that much until the next day. I was promptly charged an office visit of $39.00 and they did nothing. That was on a Thursday. Payroll came through and was available in the bank on Saturday. I returned with him and paid the $130.00 plus meds and was saddled with the wellness plan (what a joke). I took him back home. The following Thursday, he passed away. That will be another $199.98 for his ashes at Banfield. I later found out that 10 other dogs that go to that same Banfield have come down with the same liver problem. Do not trust them; they are more about the cash than your animals. Don't go to these people. They are heartless.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2012

Misdiagnosis - They did a full check up on our elderly Shih Tzu 3 days before she had a major stroke and died. She was brought in for signs of a mini stroke - stumbling, lost 3 pounds and after $400, was sent away as overweight.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2012

I did not realize that Banfield automatically renewed my pet for another year in their plan. Yes, it is somewhere in the contract but I did not realize that and they made no attempt to contact me when the first year was up. When I decided to get out of the contract, they told me they would charge me approximately $300 for the checkup with my dog, who is astoundingly healthy and require nothing more than shots. I asked them to cancel my contract as of next year and I will never do business with them again. I believe their business plan includes hooking pet owners into long term contracts without their knowledge.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2012

I firmly believe that Banfiled's greed and lack of genuine care were responsible for the death of my cat, Jerry. After I purchased the Wellness program, he died within two weeks while they racked up extra fees and unnecessary tests. And as many people have attested to on this site, I am still paying for his loss.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2012

I had Banfield for the past 7 years. My dog was never ill until they did a dental cleaning in April 2012. After his cleaning, he became ill. I brought him there, paid a big bill on top of the monthly fee, and my pet is still ill. I went to a real vet and she is helping him. They are rip-offs. On top of all that, I cancelled my plan and still had to pay the balance. I am telling everyone I know this: do not go to Banfield.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2012

Sadly, I didn't read these reviews until after it happened to me. I've read this same story several times. My 12-year-old Lab stopped eating and drinking. I noticed a large growth on his abdomen. I took him in. They shoved a form in front of me and said, "Sign this. It will save you a ton of money because of all the tests we have to do." I signed, and three days later, my dog died. When the next bill arrived, I called to inform them my dog had died, but they said it is a 12-month contract that I agreed to and I am required to honor it even though Ringo died. That disgusts me.

Not only did I end up paying around another $1,000 for a dead dog, I also had the added joy of a monthly reminder of having him put down. Supposedly, the cost was offset by the reduced cost of the tests they performed. I don't know - I never bothered to do the math. A year later, I have a new puppy. He goes to the Humane Society now. They are awesome and very reasonably priced. They even trim his nails for free (Banfield charged me $12 every time). Please, do your pet and yourself a favor. Go to the Humane Society. They need the money much more than a corporate entity does. And if yours is like mine, you will find the people there are true animal lovers and do what they do out of love, not corporate greed.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

After my dog got heartworms, my vet suggested this plan. I ended up still having to pay over $1,000 for treatment even though they swore I was getting a deal. After all the treatments and they said my dog was clear, she died a week later. I called to cancel the plan and you have to pay the full 12 months so I’m stuck paying 6 more months for a dog I don’t have. These people should burn in hell.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2012

Banfield Pet Hospital/Scam on Plan and Care: I had just received a coupon for Banfield for a free office visit when I noticed my cat was showing small traces of blood in his urine. He is 14 years old - totally house cat, Ragdoll breed - and has never had any illnesses. I buy all of his food from PetSmart. So I thought if this is in their stores, it should be ok. I am a senior and have had this baby since he was 4 months old. Needless to say, I am sobbing while I am on the way to the vet and the whole time I am there. I filled out the paperwork and waited for the vet. The vet tech I had on the first visit was wonderful and very caring; and the vet was as well. They told me he needed blood work to determine any issues, and they examined to see that he was showing some signs of a blockage in his urinary tract. They said he had a low blood count. I should say we do live in a beach area and fleas here on year round and plentiful year round. My baby is a longhair cat so finding fleas is a big issue. After determining that, they gave him antibiotics and a prescription for food from Science Diet that can only be purchased at PetSmart. They wanted to run one other test and that was $40.00, and I asked why when they were using blood from the first draw. It was a test to check for feline leukemia (sp). He was negative for that.

We left and he took the meds for 10 days and showed improvement. They scheduled a second appointment to recheck him in a week. When I showed up for that appointment, the tech was terrible; and in the process of doing a fecal exam, she hurt my baby in such a way that he screamed a meow. I instructed her to stop, as he never even meows out loud, louder than a whisper. She then promptly returned and shoved some flea meds in his mouth before I could ask what she was giving him, the possible side effects, and why was she giving him this. The vet then came in and said they were going to draw blood and said it would cost $40.00. I asked why I had been talked into their "plan" on my first visit while in a hysterical mode. And they said that the "plan" did not cover blood tests even though the brochure said it did. I told her my social security would not come until next week. And she said, "Get your finances together before you return." That was very upsetting but I left. When next week came, I was called to be reminded of my appt. by the receptionist who also said, "Make sure you have the money to pay for this test."

An hour later, they called and said they needed to cancel the appt. and make it another day because of surgery on a pet and their appointment system (which had been changed a few days prior) did not catch this. I explained I was a little annoyed but would call them when I was home and reschedule. When I got home and before I had a chance to call, they called me again and said the vet was postponing the surgery to see me so I would not be inconvenienced. I was shocked that a vet would cancel surgery on a pet for a return routine exam. I said at that point, I would decide what I was going to do. I started to have this feeling of am I doing the right thing to take my cat back to this vet. It sounded like it was all about the money.

I called Banfield corporate to report what I felt was bad business practices and complaining about this plan they sell. I also spoke with the division that sold this plan and asked about the diagnostic blood work. They tried to tell me it was only once, period. Nothing in the brochure and contract state that. And the items that are listed that are limited all specify time limits. They said they did a poor job in defining but would do nothing about it. I later found out that they issued a new contract going forward less than 2 days after my call. I also cancelled my plan and said I was not worried about the collection threat. They deducted the next payment after I cancelled it.

I went to my bank to put a stop payment on my account and my banker said he had the same experience with Banfield and cancelled his policy as well. He said my only option is to close my account and open a new one to stop them from putting through the automatic payments. He had to do the same thing. I urge everyone who filed a complaint on this venue and any future complaints to do the following: (1) Send all of your complaints and documents to your State Attorney General; (2) Report them to the Better Business Bureau and to your State's Vet Board. We must work together to save our pets; save future pet owners from what we have endured. I am not sure if my baby is going to be ok. I believe she did damage something internally when she was doing the fecal exam as he is now showing other symptoms.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2012

I brought my dog here in 2008, asked what the fee would be. They said, "bring him in the treatment room and we will tell you what fee is," as if it was too much, I did not want appointment. The aide took info from me and put in the computer. When the vet came in, I asked what the fee would be and was told and I said I could not afford this right now. I then went to the Binghamton vet where they were half the price and I could afford it, and had my dog treated. Banfield vet decided they were going to charge me anyway, even though my dog had no treatment. Now it is on my credit report, and I am very angry because this is like a scam with Banfield.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2012

On Wednesday August 15th, my cat Josephine woke me up meowing and then I saw that she urinated on my bed. I took her to a Banfield hospital in a PetSmart in Holmdel, NJ 07733. Other than urinating and meowing, she had no other symptoms. Dr. ** saw her and said she had to get a urine test. I asked how I can get a sample. Her answer is that we have to collect a urine sample by syringe and send it away to check to see if she has a urinary tract infection. She also told me she needed antibiotic. The nurse ** asked if I wanted a single shot that would be easier or something I could give her orally twice a day. I told her I was out of work and asked for the price difference. She came back and said they were the same price, so she gave her the shot of Convenia 80 mg/ml. Also said she gave her a dose of buprenorphine 0.3 mg/ml for pain and for me to give her another dose that evening and one the next day and night (in hindsight I now realize all before actually knowing if she had a UTI).

The next morning she was worse and was having small seizures. I called Banfield and they said to bring her in. I went in and I told Dr. ** that I thought she was having seizures and she said she would have to do x-rays and bloodwork and other tests. I asked her if there was anywhere I could take her where it would not be so expensive as I couldn't afford all of those tests, and she said no and didn't take her out of the crate or look at her and charged me $46 and the day before I paid $203.86. My neighbor told me to take her to her vet and I did. First, I went to pick up the urine test result (Banfield said she had blood and crystals in her urine) and the new vet said she would not have diagnosed UTI nor have given pain medicine when she was not in pain at the time, and especially not buprenorphine. She was dehydrated and having seizures. Her urinalysis results from Banfield were negative and within normal range (they lied to me). She got worse and by August 18 her seizures were one after another. It was horrible.

I had to bring her to an emergency specialist in the middle of the night where they had to euthanize her. It cost me $428. All in all, the total is $800. I am heartbroken. Last week she was perfectly fine. I am so sorry I brought her to Banfield trying to save some money because I was out of work (I had a coupon for $40). I trusted them and they only wanted to get money. I also found out the shot and daily dose of Convenia are very different in price. They lied about that also. Now, they continue misleading people when they are at a very vulnerable time. I miss her and will send this to whoever I think can change such things from happening. She was a beautiful 6-year-old cat and I loved her and she is gone for quotas or greediness. I would like a response.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information