2. Pets
  3. Pet Care

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5
Based on 1,052 ratings submitted in the last year

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Jan. 26, 2013

I definitely would not recommend Banfield to any of my friends who own pets. The veterinarians are rude & show no signs of caring for your pet at all. They are not open to hearing your questions & are very short in their answers. I go to a Banfield in Virginia Beach & have seen 5 vets over the past year. Every one of them is the same. They don't talk to my dog, they don't pet him, & they're not very gentle with him. Every time I leave their facility, I swear I will never return. The only reason we still go there is because my dog is on a year-long contracted wellness plan (which is a complete waste of money - don't get it). When the year is up, we will never ever return to Banfield. The veterinarians are the main reason I am so disappointed with that place. You would think that if people chose a profession with animals that they would, at the very least, be kind to your animal. This is not the case at Banfield.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2013

We currently have a Banfield wellness plan for our four pets. We moved to Maine and Banfield does not provide services in Maine. However, they will not allow us to cancel the plan (even though two are new and two were just renewed). We have to keep paying for four wellness plans and we cannot even use their facilities. Also, one of our pets passed away the day after Christmas. We had a wellness plan for this beloved pet which we only renewed a couple of months ago so we have barely benefited from the plan. Unfortunately, Banfield will not cancel the plan so we have to continue paying for the plan for a pet that is no longer living and Banfield can no longer treat. They said they should get paid even though they do not have to provide services for our pets. To top it all off, they were supposed to take the money from our account at the end of the month and they took it out early leaving us in a financial bind.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2013

I took my beautiful long-haired yorkie to Banfield for her annual dental cleaning, which is part of their wellness package. She has had her teeth cleaned once a year for many years (she's 7), which was recommended by a vet when I first purchased her. For some reason, Banfield staff at the Manchester, MO location decided to shave her entire leg to place the IV. This has never been necessary before and was not necessary this time either. She now has a "chicken leg" and it will take 1-2 years for the hair to grow back. This looks really great when we go do pet therapy visits. In addition, the uneducated vets refer to the plaque on her teeth (which is why they are cleaned annually) as dental disease, and they also claim she has a luxating patella (which they have no x-rays to confirm) and is lame (which she is not). She runs around like any normal dog, but at the usual top yorkie speed.

Their stupid reports advise me to see "a specialist", and they want to prescribe some sort of medication at every visit. I am horrified as to how these incorrect diagnoses will affect actual insurance if she ever does develop these problems. When I demanded the medical record be corrected, they placed inappropriate comments stating that I am not happy. They gave me coupons to come back for more "care" after the leg shaving, but that was the last straw. Needless to say, they will never touch my pet again. I do not trust them. When I contacted the Banfield home office, I was ignored - they've never responded. At this point, I'm just happy she survived (as so many others I read about did not) and I will not be renewing the wellness package. My advice: take your pets to real vets. Banfield vets do not know what they are doing. Your pet’s life and future may depend on it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2013

I took my dog to this hospital because their improper treatment caused my dog to develop new health issues. So I had the bill disputed with this hospital, and I called to ask if they will send me the bill, or I pay over the phone with my credit card. They said, "No." I had to go to the store to pay in person. I called at 6 pm. They close at 7 pm, so I couldn't make it on the same day. The next day, they opened at 9 am. I went at 11:30 am to pay the bill. After I paid, they asked me to wait, because they had to remove my name from the Collection list. Within 5 hrs, their business hours, and without any attempt, my name is on Collection already.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2012

I have learned that not every Banfield is the same. The Banfield at Pelham, NY has to be the worst there is. The staff is undereducated and have no idea what they are talking about. Worst of all, the manager is nasty as heck and one of the most arrogant persons around. She is a negative asset to the hospital. This hospital, if you can call it that, gets an F rating. Try other Banfields.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2012

I never used their services again. My 4-year-old yorkie, my beloved dog, died of cancer. Banfield keeps charging my account every month an additional monthly charge after that visit, even though I had coverage for a year. There were almost 11 months of unauthorized charges for a dead dog. I think this is called fraud in some states. This pet saved my life when I suffered a TIA 4 years ago. He was not just a companion; he cared for me and comforted me when I was crippled with pain. He never left my side and I am a young, vibrant woman who was stricken with a cancer illness but blessed by a four legged angel. Banfield clinic should be ashamed of themselves for their conduct, their lack of professionalism and they have crossed the line. They have much to learn about integrity. They do not deserve to be trusted with our pets. They do not deserve our money and they will not get my money anymore.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2012

Yesterday afternoon, we discovered one of our cats had injured himself on his leg. As it was Saturday, our regular vet was unavailable, and I looked for one that was open past noon on a Saturday. We were going to have to use Care Credit to have him treated, and they recommended Banfield. I called, made an appointment, and told them about using the card and the open wound. They made the appointment. When we got there and into a room, the vet criticized me and what I had done to clean the wound and told me she "did not have time" to suture the wound if it needed it.

I was upset as they knew it might need stitches. Then when I reminded them that we would have to use the Care Credit, they stated that they could only take it if the visit was over $250.00. The clip and clean that they had time for would not cost that much, but they would be happy to find a way to increase the charge so we could use the card. I refused the treatment and left, taking my cat to the pet emergency. I will never go to them again and will be filing a complaint with Pet Smart due to their association with Banfield.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2012

My husband and I purchased a mixed-breed puppy, and due to its location and convenience, we decided to take our new puppy to Banfield for his shots and a general wellness checkup. While we were there, we were persuaded to purchase their wellness plan. With the price of neuter as well as all his puppy shots and twice yearly dewormer, it seemed like a decent deal. The first appointment went well, but I can honestly say that was the only appointment that went well. One appointment we had was scheduled for 9am. And at 10:30am, after waiting for almost 2 hours, we were told that their morning vet was not coming in, so we could reschedule if we desired or we could wait for the "sub" vet to be there.

Another time, attempting to avoid the previous situation again, I scheduled our dog for a drop of appointment to get one of his booster shots. I asked if I would be able to pick him up at lunchtime (I dropped him off around 8am), and they said that would be no problem; he should be done in 2-3 hours. He was not ready at lunchtime; instead, I was not able to pick him up until near 7pm, which means he was in a kennel for 11 hours just so they could poke him one time. But the biggest issue I had was when my husband and I decided to adopt a second dog from the local shelter. We did not want to take the new dog to Banfield, but every other vet in our area was booked for days and we really wanted to have the new dog checked out and tested for illness before we brought him into our house and potentially exposed our original dog to them. The shelter dog was diagnosed with kennel cough (nearly 400 dollars later) and given some antibiotics.

The next week, our shelter dog’s condition continued to decline, so we took him back into Banfield (our mistake) again. We were told it was just the kennel cough. 3 days later, our shelter dog started seizing, so we rushed him in. He was then diagnosed with Distemper (which he had picked up at the shelter), and we had to put him to sleep because there was literally nothing they could do for him. While at the appointment with our shelter dog, our other dog was at the PetSmart Doggy Day Camp, and we asked if we could bring him over to the Banfield and have him tested for Distemper, because he had recently begun coughing and had an extremely runny nose. He was vaccinated for Distemper several times as a puppy; however, given his close proximity to the new dog, we were still concerned. He was tested, and the vet listened to his chest and said it seemed like he just had a little cold. It took them an entire week to get us the Distemper test results, and they did not even call us with them. We had to call them.

A few days after the Distemper test came back negative (we were warned Distemper tests are not an exact science and your dog may still have it, even with the test coming back negative), our dog was extremely listless; he would not eat, and he was showing signs of labored breathing. Again, we took him to Banfield, and they told us it was just kennel cough. I knew better, so I started looking for a new vet. We were able to get in with a different vet, so despite paying for our monthly plan with Banfield, we took him elsewhere.

At the new vet’s office, he was diagnosed with severe pneumonia, and the vet prescribed him several antibiotics and scheduled us an appointment for a couple days later. Had we chosen to stay with Banfield and not taken our dog elsewhere, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have died from pneumonia. He's now 13 months old - completely healthy and happy, and we have not been back to Banfield since their misdiagnosis. I would recommend you avoid them as well. The Banfield office we used was located in Houston, TX.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2012

Banfield is supposed to be the "Affordable" vet, but the Banfield in Norwalk, CT takes advantage of people who do not know much about routine procedures and expected costs. They lie to you about the condition of your pet to get you to take more tests. They don't provide any proof of the tests they claim to have done, since they are all performed in the back, and they perform best cost procedures for their pockets.

For example, they will happily charge you for injectable antibiotics when 1) they are not necessary and 2) are costly when you have large dogs, since it is more money for them rather than have you take cheaper oral or topical antibiotics. Wouldn't you think that offering the more cost effective means of antibiotic administration would be fair? No, they only offered the most expensive type, and really pushed it claiming it was necessary when it was not at all.

Another example: I was charged for ear swabs and microscopic exams which were once again done in the back, and was only told they had ear infections. My dog did not have an ear infection. If she did, it was the type that had the symptoms of being clean, healthy smelling and not showing any signs of irritation to my dog. Why did I not notice this or say this myself? Well, I let my husband take my dogs to this vet because we could not get to our regular one. My husband knows nothing about what we usually do at the vets since I typically always take them.

The office manager and Banfield Norwalk, CT is not very nice at all, and if you complain about their charges, they simply say, "Well you signed it". They threatened to have me arrested if I did not pay it. They have no desire to keep customers happy; they are just thrilled to be able to have robbed you blind if you have not done the due diligence to ask around about expected prices and practices. I will never go here again, and I will warn everyone know to avoid this place too.

All they care about is money. I should have known that there was something odd about this place when my partner was able to call on a Thursday and get a Saturday appointment. At my last vet, it was almost impossible to get a Saturday appointment as they were a vet place that truly cared for animals and knew to be fair about costs. They had a huge following. This place is terrible and I cannot stand any practice that looks at money first. My dog who was supposed to go in for a stitch removal and a bandage re-wrap left with the bandage not being re-wrapped, her stitches not removed and instead, I got a $300 bill for injectable antibiotics and an ear swab.

I think Banfield, if they do claim to be an affordable vet, should make known all practices available, not just offer the most expensive. Their practice of only offering expensive solutions is unethical and their customer service is terrible. No one with pets should ever have to be subjected to these vets who want to exploit people who love their pets.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2012

Banfield Tucson, AZ - Please take a minute to read this. My dog is a healthy dog. He eats the best food and I am thankful. I have been on the Banfield Wellness Plan for about 3 years. The past two visits, I took him in because he had an allergic reaction. Long story short, we immediately drove my dog straight to Banfield on Oracle and Wetmore Tucson and the doctor gave me an estimate of $400 to test my dog. Keep in mind that during that time, my poor dog's throat is closing up, his eyes are swelling up, he can't stop coughing out of his stomach, and the doctor tells me she is not sure that it is an allergic reaction. It's very embarrassing on the doctor's part (she was a female doctor). So seeing that my doctor isn't going to do ** (excuse my language), my fiancé ran to the store and bought Benadryl and gave it to my dog in the room with the doctor. Then she said, "Oh yeah, it might have allergies to something." I said, "Are you kidding me?" and we left. I was freaking out the whole time. Later, after a couple of hours, my dog thankfully was fine.

Another time (oh, this gets better) happened just the other day. I came to the same location Oracle/Wetmore to pay my bill. As soon as I got there, there was a family waiting at the counter. So I patiently went, stepped to the corner, and waited with my doggie. So then, the receptionist girl ran to the back and was gone for 30 minutes (no lie). I stood there and nicely waited. It was 6:30 pm and they close the cashier at 6:50 pm, and it was already around that time. She never said "Please wait," or anything polite. So a guy comes out, a tech I guess, and brings a sick puppy out and the puppy vomits in the tech's hands onto the floor about 3 times. They were standing on the other side of the counter from where I was. The people paid (keep in mind I am still waiting) and the guy finally says, "We'll be with you shortly."

Later, the tech orders the associates of Petsmart to clean it up. So the young boy comes out with a dirty mop and drags the throw up back into the back room of the Petsmart, as the drops are going all over the floor (possibly on my dog). So there is no way of getting around for me, other than stepping on it. My poor baby and I are still waiting to be assisted. So 40 minutes later, after the people left with their sick poor puppy, I asked the tech, "What does the puppy have?" The tech says, "Parvo. Ma'am, that is why I told you to wait right there and we'll clean it up before you can come over here." I said, "Are you kidding me?" He took my card and charged it. I am not walking with my dog to the infected area while it's still wet and not pretty much cleaned at all. Don't forget that the drops from the dirty mop were right next to my dog and me. So, I am paranoid because my dog was kind of sniffing the drops of those that were dragged by careless associates of Petsmart.

Finally, the tech came out again and sprayed something on the floor (the only thing that killed Parvo on the floor is bleach), and on that note, I don't even think he was spraying bleach (maybe some clear cleaner, I don't know). So here I am trapped in the circle of throw up dirty mop drops, trying to walk out of this nasty place. Before I left, I asked the guy if my dog was going to be sick now. He smirked and said, "Ha. He should be." So I ran to my car freaking out. This is the second day as I am watching my dog's symptoms. When I got home, I washed my dog and my shoes. Please read the signs of Parvo and please do not rely on those careless people at Banfield. They don't care about your dog or mine. They care about money and getting off early.

Today, I am going to go in and hopefully not to freak out at them and make sure I ask them if I should be worried and I am cancelling the plan. I have had enough with this company. Oh, there are more stories about these uneducated people, who are money hungry. Remember, this is supposed to be a hospital to better health of your animal (that is your child) and not to get your dog sick, which the doggies can die from. And some of you reading this wondering how come I didn't feel sorry for the puppy. I actually did and I know that family didn't care of not exposing that poor puppy to the virus. But at the same time, I was happy they were actually taking care of the problem. As we know, the city of Tucson has a lot of animal abusers and careless people. Thank you, I hope this helps people who are trying to do the best that they can for their babies. I will follow up on this and how my dog is doing. But this ridiculous place, I hope they will close down!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2012

My pet almost died in the hands of Banfield Pet Hospital misdiagnosing my dog. He was brought to the Mohawk Commons, Niskayuna, NY facility on November 20, 2012 and November 23, 2012. Both times he was treated for an upper respiratory infection. I kept telling the Vet that his breathing wasn't quite right - it was raspy. His antibiotic was changed the second visit and I was told it was still an upper respiratory infection. During the night of November 23, 2012, my dog almost died. I immediately brought him over to the Pet hospital in Latham, NY where he was immediately treated. Finally, he was diagnosed properly. He had fluid in his lungs. I was told that the fluid doesn't build up overnight (Banfield told me on both visits that my dogs lungs were clear, but they weren't, that says plenty right there).

I have all my records to prove my dog was misdiagnosed and I will pursue this matter further. Banfield treated my dog for the wrong ailment. They were more interested in trying to sell me their contract than they were in properly diagnosing my dog. Unfortunately, I read the previous 757 complaints about that company a little too late and my dog almost paid the price with his life. Had I read those complaints, I would have never stepped foot in that facility. Please take the time to read through the complaints. You will see that in addition to pets being misdiagnosed, they are treated with the same remedy, antibiotics.

Since word of mouth is the best advertisement, I urge everyone reading this post not to patronize this facility. Money is their motive, not caring for your pet. I don't want anyone to go through what I went through. I wrote a letter of complaint to the Corporate office; however, they sent it over to the Mohawk Commons store for reply. Their reply was that they didn't do anything wrong. Of course, they would say that, what else could they say? This company certainly has displayed their lack of character. I urge everyone who has a complaint about this company to make your voice heard. Hopefully if enough people complain, they will be closed down.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2012

My family and I had a 6-week old kitten that was fun, active, loved to cuddle with everyone. All of a sudden, he wasn't feeling well Tuesday morning, so I decided to take him to the Banfield in the Brea CA location. Dr. ** was the doctor who helped my kitten. While the doctor was asking us questions about his health, the kitten was eating and walking around like he was his old self - which made us happy. Dr. ** tested him for Giardia (bacteria) and he gave us some medicine for the kitten to cure the bacteria. He told us that he was a little underweight and to make sure he is eating enough to put more weight on him. It got expensive, so we decided to go with the Wellness Plan because it costs less. The nurse in the front desk said, "You can cancel anytime before 4 days."

I brought my kitten home and gave him his dose of medicine that Dr. ** gave us. Probably a couple hours later, my poor little kitten was in so much pain! He was crying so much, he couldn't get up at all. I was freaking out and worried! Questioning whether to take him back to the vet, I called the vet and talked to the doctor. I told him what was going on with my kitten. All he said was, "Oh, the medicine is most likely kicking in," that he is probably experiencing some abdominal pain. He said not to worry and to bring him back to the clinic in the morning if we felt we needed to. My poor kitten was in so much pain, crying and couldn't walk. It was so heartbreaking. I kept on praying that he would be better soon.

An hour after talking to the doctor, I tried to hold him in my arms to make him feel better. After 10 minutes, he seemed a bit better because he was quiet. But that wasn't the case. My poor kitten died in my arms because he couldn't handle the pain. The past two days, my family and I have been grieving over his loss. I am still crying over him because I lost him so quick. Now after all this happened, what I want know is what happened to my kitten? My thoughts are: Did the doctor kill my kitten by over medicating him? Was it the wrong medicine? Could he have done more? How can a kitten, a day before this, be so happy and so playful, then the next day die in my arms? Something is wrong here! Or did the doctor misdiagnose him? I really don't understand?

I am furious! I went back to the vet first thing in the morning to get a better understanding. All they can say was, "Oh, I'm sorry." That's it? No questions or concerns. Very upsetting! I then wanted to cancel my Wellness Plan, but they gave me a phone number to call the wellness center to cancel. She said, "We don't cancel here." My family lost a family member. I want an expert to find out what exactly happened to my kitten! I want Banfield corporate to know this because I've noticed after reading reviews from customers that they didn't like Dr. **. I am very angry and concerned. If you can find me a better answer, please I need to know so I can pass this grieving. Never again at Banfield!

Their response was nothing and they took my money. This all happened within a few hours.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2012

I took Louis, my 9-month old Maltese Yorkie puppy, into Banfield after he had a seizure (I chose this place only because it is where he got his shots). Completely terrified and in tears, I gave him over to one of the employees who took him into the back to monitor him while another employee asked me questions about what may have caused the seizure. After answering all questions, the lady came back with the estimate of what it would cost - $650! I informed her that while I love my puppy very much, I am very young, just out of college, and I simply do not have that kind of money. I contacted some pet hospitals that were willing to charge less and asked if they could bring me my puppy so that I could take him to get the medical care that he needed. They then asked me to come into an exam room so that we could speak privately with the vet.

After waiting about 30 minutes for the vet, she came in and told us what she would like to do as far as blood work and tests. I again told them that I have just graduated college and I do not have an extra $650. The vet said she understood and she would see how much it would be to just keep him there and monitor him for the day. Or, if I wanted to take him somewhere else, they could give him medication so he would not have another seizure in the car. After another 30 minutes, a nurse came in and told us for them to monitor him and give him and anti-seizure shot that would cost $315!

I was outraged and I felt like they were trying to play on my emotions to get me to come up with this money that I had no way of coming up with! I told them again that I had found somewhere else to take him and I would like to get him from the back so I could take him to get treatment. The nurse agreed and asked if I at least wanted him to have the anti-seizure shot so he would not have another episode on the way. She said that would only cost $27 so I agreed. After a minute, she came back and said they could not give him the shot if they were not going to be able to monitor him after. I told her not to give him the shot and to just to bring him to me. She said that I could go up front and speak to the receptionist and she would bring him out.

Once up front, the receptionist told me that my total would be $98! I did have that amount so I did pay it so they would give me my dog. But I of course asked, "Why am I paying $98 when you all did nothing?" The receptionist said the nurse would explain what the charges are for when she brings him out. When I asked the nurse what was done for him, she said, "Oh, nothing. He just hung out back there where we held him." So, I paid $98 and spent 2 hours to have my dog held and still have no answer as to what is wrong with him. This place is awful and neither of my dogs will ever return!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2012

My bulldog, Chelsa, has a nervous problem. She picks at her feet. I called 1800petmeds to get meds filled. At Banfield at North Park, a guy named Chris said he will fax it in. Then 2 days later, they changed their mind and told me to get her some Benadryl. I need antibiotic. I have lost my trust with them. Every time I go there, they always find some way to get money. Soon as I find another company. I'm out of their program.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2012

When I took my dog with an infection to Banfield, they had me waiting almost 3 hours and insisted he needed to be sedated and cut up with stitches. They were rude when I asked questions and were insisting that I leave him there. The bill would have been $300. I decided to take him somewhere else. He was treated so compassionately and did not need to be sedated or cut and the bill was $58 with medication. I'll never go back to Banfield in Philadelphia. That place sucks!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2012

I took my dog in the end of October to be seen for a virus. I took her back on Nov. 3rd for a recheck and had them give her vaccinations that were due. I was told we would have to come back in 3 weeks for a booster on one of the shots. When I checked in, I confirmed that all I was there for was the booster shot. When the tech came in, I once again confirmed all I wanted was the booster shot. 45 minutes later when the vet came in and started to examine the dog. I told her I was just there for the booster shot. She wanted to do several other tests although my dog had just been checked 3 weeks earlier and was okay. I would highly recommend that this vet clinic be avoided. Not only are they deceptive when it comes to being upfront about costs, they ran from 30 min. to 1 hour behind during each visit. It's a poorly managed clinic.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2012

Even though I don't have a horror story, I still believe it's a cause for a complaint. I had asked the Banfield people if they could walk my dog before I picked him up from his surgery and they said yes, they would. I came back at the time they told me to come and he "wasn't ready" for pickup. So I waited another two hours then came back. After they gave him to me, I had asked if he had been walked and they said no. I asked why not and they told me that it was against their policy to walk them. So I was still scorned because he peed on the floor and they looked at me like I should pick it up! Umm, hello! I asked them to walk him and no, they basically refused to. I know from all the comments I'm reading about Banfield I'm going to try to cancel both dogs plans!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2012

I believe that my daughter (Taylor) was not given the proper information to make informed decisions concerning surgeries on her pets. As a result, the surgeries that were performed on her pets (Kaiya and Knox), we now believe were not necessary. Listed below are the facts as we understand them.

On 12/01/11, Kaiya was presented to Dr. Kimberly in the Charlotte, N, NC hospital for illness. Taylor's complaint was that Kaiya was lethargic, has a choking cough, not eating. The only abnormal findings were dehydration level of 5%, teeth discoloration and pale gums. Taylor was told that Kaiya has some form of tick disease. She never denied treatment.

On 12/08/12, Kaiya was brought back for a follow up exam - illness rechecked because Kaiya's condition has not gotten better. This was done by Dr. Gillian. The abnormal findings still include the aforementioned but now added inflammation of the tonsils, a weak pulse, a distended abdomen, enlarged liver, gas-filled loops in the intestines, not palpable uterus and bladder, enlarged spleen, an abdominal mass and extremely concerning labs. All this happening in one week's time. Taylor is told Kaiya has an intestinal blockage and needs an immediate operation to remove the blockage. Care Credit was obtained and surgery was performed only to find cancer causing Kaiya to be euthanized. It's obvious to us now that some of the notes describing the interaction between Banfield's staff and Taylor does not accurately depict what actually transpired. The possibility of cancer was never explained and a biopsy on the mass was never done. The reason why Kaiya's records were obtained and are now being questioned is because of our next experience with Banfield with Knox as the patient.

On 07/02/12, Knox was presented to Dr. Rebecca at Charlotte, N, NC for vomiting and diarrhea. The only abnormal findings were brown exudates in both ears and tartar on teeth. The labs showed a positive finding for ehrlichia. Vaccines were given and meds were prescribed for GI upset and ehrlichia. On 07/03/12, Taylor came home to Pittsboro from UNC Charlotte for the holiday. Knox was again vomiting and still had diarrhea. Knox was presented to Dr. Corinne at the Banfield in Apex, NC. Knox has gotten worse. A radiography was performed showing a gas pattern. A foreign body was suspected but not actually seen. Knox was sent to Cary emergency for surgery. No surgery was ever performed at Cary emergency because they had found negative results on an ultrasound and he had not vomited. Knox was there for two days at a cost of $800.00.

On 07/05/12, Knox was brought back to Apex, seen by Dr. Corrine and Dr. Katherine who now decided to do exploratory surgery on Knox. Why? No foreign body was found. This surgery should never had been done. On 07/07/12, I finally picked up Knox after denying their request to keep him another day. I was given a big syringe to give Knox BeptoBismol and a food slurry that I had to prepare. I was told that he was still vomiting and could not walk well. Knox was carried to the car by Banfield staff.

As soon as we got home, Knox exited the car on his own and urinated. Prior to his arrival home, my wife and I prepared white rice and boiled chicken breasts, which were minced up and mixed with the rice. Knox ate a cup of this immediately and drank water. He continued to eat this twice a day, not once vomiting or having diarrhea. I never gave him beptobismol or the food slurry. Once a day for three days, I did give him the Omni. He improved drastically in two days, being able to play with our dog at this time. Every day he improved and was looking like he was putting weight back on. His stitches were removed on 07/14/12 at the Apex Banfield. He was being slowly introduced back to his regular food by this time.

Hopefully after your review, you'll see that something went terribly awry here twice and you will make the proper adjustments so this matter can end and avoid any further need for us to pursue this with the NC Veterinary State Board, the media and an attorney. Thanks in advance.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2012

Banfield Sunset Hills, MO was supposed to check out a wart-looking growth on my dog's back while he was getting his teeth cleaned. Instead, they removed a benign tumor on his thigh and called it "misunderstanding." No apology, but of course charged me for their mistake. Eventually they waived the fee of $44 and it seemed to be settled. Two days later, my dog pulled out the stitches of the cut he should not have had in the first place. I brought him back to Banfield to stitch him back up and they were going to charge me $426.

I filed a complaint, asking them to waive the fee for restitching and talked to the clinic manager, who refused to help me out in any way. She stated that will not give me a freebie since I didn't put an e-collar on him. If I refused to pay, she would call a collection agency. In summary, Banfield performed an unnecessary, unauthorized surgery and charged me for further complications. The staff was rude and incompetent. I cancelled my plan immediately. No help from their customer service either. They just file a report and send it to the clinic itself.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2012

The wellness plan presented for my cat was not clear. If you visit this pet hospital, remember they will spend the majority of your pet’s visit discussing financing. In a roundabout fashion, you pay for the service rendered at the first visit. The wellness plan for 1 year is to be automatically renewed, will charge an additional amount per month. Why the plan? It works if you want a small discount on items they push. You may pay more overall.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2012

After sitting with my sick kitten for four hours, I finally left Banfield at Chesapeake Square Mall, Chesapeake, VA. 99% of the staff are rude - they had a cat in isolation, screaming at the top of his lungs and the girls that were treating the poor cat were laughing. I've never seen anything like them in my life. I took my kitten home and decided to find a vet that truly was concerned for my pet's health - not a bunch of morons that think a cat screaming in pain is hilarious! I hope they go to hell for their mistreatment of the animals in their care. I plan to contact our local PETA about the mistreatment of the animal in their care. I hope they close the clinic down. You can't get quality pet care from a box store - the people that work there are sub-human!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2012

Please stay away from Banfield Pet Hospitals! Their only motivation is money, just like PetSmart! My 11 week old puppy, which was adopted only 5 days earlier, started vomiting every 20 minutes. I immediately thought Parvo and took him to Banfield, since we adopted him from a PetSmart via the SPCA. They tested him, told me it was Parvo; hundreds of dollars later, and that they were closing and could not treat him! Excuse me? Why didn't you tell me that before you charged me hundreds to do nothing?!

So I kept asking questions, like what are his chances and since he was just adopted, shouldn't this be the responsibility of the SPCA, and I need to make some phone calls to figure out my options. They kept pressuring me (since they were closing and the clock was ticking for them) to take him to the veterinary hospital in the next town for $1,000 a night and who knows how long it will take. No one knows how long or even if he will recover, it could take weeks at $1,000 per night. And surely they get a kick back because they were very concerned about his "transfer paperwork".

In the meantime, my husband reached the SPCA, who arranged for a veterinarian that night and took full responsibility of his care since he had the disease when they adopted him to me. Long story short, Banfield was only in this for themselves and discouraged me over and over not to pursue the SPCA. I only lost the hundreds they charged me for nothing and not the several thousand they were suggesting for his care. I am beyond disgusted. I will never return and tell everyone I know the same. Find a private vet, who has done this for a while and has a great track record. I know I will.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2012

Poor care of pet & worthless wellness plan: We took out the little Cairn Terrier in because he was breathing heavy. They proceeded to tell my wife that he had lung infection or thyroid problem and issued an antibiotic to give him. They really did not think it was a big issue. After a week of him not improving, my wife took him back and instructed them that he was getting worse. My wife brought him in at 8:20 AM. The people there proceeded to take a dog that was already having a hard time breathing and apparently put him in a cage in the back where the other dogs were.

When my wife called at 9:00 AM, they told my wife that our 5.5-year old puppy had just died. It appears that they did not check on him until my wife called. They told her they thought he was just sleeping. I know exactly what happened - they did not check on him. They threw him in a cage where the other dogs were, barking their heads off. He got excited being around other dogs and barked with them, until he barked himself to death due to lack of oxygen. He should have been isolated to keep him calm due to breathing issues. My wife also had been paying for a monthly health wellness plan which was of no help. Then, Banfield presented us with a bill for $125.00 to cremate him and send his ashes to our home. Two weeks later, no ashes have been received!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2012

Be careful before you purchase this plan. They will claim it saves you money over time, but it does not. First of all, they mark up their medications about 400% to make up for their free unlimited office visits. You can get the same RX at Walmart for one-tenth of the price. Secondly, they tell you they will give you a 10% discount on all other services; however, my son who doesn't have the plan took his dog in and paid the same price I did for the same service. To top it all off, my dog needed emergency surgery. I called them at 9:00 A.M. to see if they could do it, but as of 5:00 P.M. nobody has returned my call. My dog is already in surgery at another vet's. When I called to cancel the plan, their representative was rude and treated me as though I was an idiot for wanting to cancel. Please save your money on quality health care for your pet somewhere other than Banfield.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2012

I've been taking my dog to Banfield for years now. I got the Wellness Plan after telling me it would save money. It never did. Every time I take the dog to Banfield, I'm told this or that needs to be done and some of the dumbest reasons why. I'm going to be honest here good people, I work for Petsmart (number of years). Don't take your animal to Banfield, they will take you for every penny you have and try and scare you into buying everything and anything. Take your animals to any other vet, but not to Banfield. Stay away from the Fort Worth (downtown) Banfield. Horribly greedy people.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2012

I really wish my husband would have done some research before for signing up with Banfield. They are a total scam and have made it impossible for us to get out of our contract. We have paid for over 3 years and were told we could finally cancel on Oct 1. Surprise, surprise, we've been hit with two more auto draft charges! They are impossible to call, and you will wait forever on hold to speak with customer service (who are extremely rude by the way). In the long run, you will end up spending more with Banfield than if you take your pet to a regular vet and pay upfront. I understand how it may look attractive to pay on a monthly basis instead of the larger sum in beginning but I promise, you will save money and stress in the end. Also, understand that even when you sign up with Banfield if they do anything above and beyond a regular visit, you will have to pay extra! I am now at the point of disputing charges with my bank. Too bad for me, my husband gave Banfield a checking acct number so it's likely we won't be refunded. If you are desperate or dumb enough to sign up with Banfield, at least use a credit card. It will give you slightly more protection.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2012

Banfield Wellness Plan is a scam. Employees at the pet hospital (Banfield) do not inform you that once you sign up for the Wellness Plan, you are basically stuck with the product and you cannot cancel. No one ever told that I couldn't cancel it. It is a true scam and Banfield Headquarters refuses to speak with its customers. Rude staff is handling phone calls at the corporate office.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2012

Ripoff and poor quality care. The wellness plan will not save you money. They'll find many ways to make you spend lots of money there. My kitten's spay has been a nightmare! They keep telling us it's our fault when we've done everything right. It's grossly infected and she's been in her cone at all times and she is never alone for more than 3-4 hours a day. I work from home and have never seen her go after her incision and she is constantly in her cone. Yet her incision bursts open with infection. Now they want $200 more to reseal it. That's more than some places charge for the original surgery! I still have 9 more months of payments on the plan, but I never want to go back to that filthy place. I wish I would have researched. I see I'm not alone.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2012

False test and information: They said they ran test on my cat and he was very healthy. And then I found out that he had a very large tumor in his stomach and because of the wrong information, he passed away.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2012

I had called for an appointment for my guinea pig and puppy for emergency care. I was told on the phone by a vet tech if I didn't show up for my appointment, it would result in me not be able to come back there. I arrived at PetSmart and got checked in and told the vet tech what was said to me. The vet came out and asked if we needed to have a conversation in an intimidating fashion. I told him how I didn't like to be talked to on the phone in that manner. He said for us to find another place to go (in so many words). My puppy is still sick and my guinea pig didn't get his toe nails trimmed as a result of. I would not take a dead gold fish to this vet ever again.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information