2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

I took my dog in for an ear infection. His ear had gone from mildly irritated to extremely infected in just a week, so I knew he needed some aggressive treatment. The staff took him in a back room to examine him, so I'm not able to say how thorough or appropriate the exam really was. They said they took a swab, and had the swab in their hand when they brought him back. The vet, who apparently JUST graduated in 2013, decided not to run the swab since she was giving him oral antibiotics, and those "should" take care of whatever it is. They didn't.

A week later (I actually only waited 5 days because I wasn't going to make him wait longer), his ear was HORRIBLE (see picture). I took him back in, was charged for a follow-up visit, and was told they were going to do a swab and send it out to be cultured. "How long will this take?" I asked. "About a week," was the reply. I about came unglued right there. So you mean to tell me that if they had just run the swab they collected LAST week, we would have results by now and would know what exactly is causing his infection?

At one point I was told the reason the swab wasn't run before was because they try to go the more affordable route (it's $165), and then later she said they didn't run it because it wasn't collected properly due to how bad his ear was (but his ear is the same today and you can collect it properly today? Yeah, okay). So now he is put on Prednisone (which should have also been done last week), but he has to wait 3 days to start it because he has to stop taking the previous anti-inflammatory medicine he was given, and now we have to wait an additional week for culture results, and they want me to bring him in AGAIN next week.

While all this is happening, I'm getting hard sales pitches from the staff about their wellness plans, at both visits. At this last visit, while my dog was in the back, he started barking, and I heard one of the staff yell, "Knock it off"... I don't know if it was directed at my dog, or one of the other animals in there, but either way, that's not appropriate.

I feel like the vet was completely out of line due to her lack of experience. My dog's ear should have had a swab done at the initial appointment, and should have been put on Prednisone at that first appointment in addition to the oral antibiotics. I should have also been informed that my dog could be given diphenhydramine to help him sleep better and to help with the itching, but I found that out when I contacted a different vet to discuss transferring his care to someone else.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2013

The vet was supposed to give my 18-lb. poodle 5 mg of Prednisone for her seasonal allergies, but she hit the wrong button (her story) and gave her 20 mg. The poor dog was a mess and could not control her bladder, walk straight and was zoned out for 10 days. I re-read the instructions on the meds and it said she might be hyper and urinate a lot. When I took her back for a follow up, the veterinarian apologized for her mistake, made a big display of her regrets, but that did not do much for the dog.This dog has a lot of social problems and does not trust anyone. She is shy around people and hides behind me when anyone approaches her. There have been multiple mistakes in the three years I have had a wellness contract with Banfield, but this was the final straw. I am done!! I cancelled my contract for both my dogs with Banfield Pet Hospital, but of course they would not give me any sort of refund on the remaining time on the contract. I now have a new vet.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2013

I've had a very bad experience at their Okemos, MI locations. I brought my cat Binks in because she had what appeared to be a cold. She was diagnosed with pneumonia. She is an older cat and I know she may not have much more life to live but I wanted to get her treated for her immediate condition and not much else. The staff was very friendly and informed me that due to some of the symptoms we described she could have kidney disease and to have the testing on it done, there would be an additional 127.00.

At that point the staff talked to us about the preventative care plan. We compared the difference in cost and I decided that I might like to go with it. We found out that her BuN and creatinine levels were high and were indicative of kidney disease. The doctor recommended fluid therapy and to retest to see what prognosis would be. I asked her what my cost was going to be because I had to have the money transferred from my moms account. Upon checkout I decided against the yearly preventative plan since we weren't sure how long Binks was going to live. When I brought Binks back on the 2nd day for treatment her paw had swelled up twice the size of the other. There was an abscess on her neck that needed to be drained. I told the receptionist that I wanted to see the doctor before anything happened.

I waited there for 40 minutes and the staff had already pulled the catheter and were starting a new one. The Doctor came out and said “Oh my, I didn't know you were waiting here.” I told her that I had some concerns. When I told her about the abscess, she said she noted it but it's nowhere on the paperwork. (I have the paperwork) She said it was going to cost an additional amount for the IV and the total additional cost for therapy and blood test was going to be 170. I had already paid 220 plus 180.

The Coban on her leg was way too tight and was cutting off her circulation, I suspected that is why her foot was so swollen and why she needed another cath. Her original quote was 180 for the two treatments but because of the change of plan, the price nearly doubled. She said that there was no way to remove the price of the cath. I told her I only budgeted an additional 50.00 for her treatment and if they could not provide service for that amount we would have to take Binks back home and take business elsewhere. She gave me Binks and our paperwork. There were several examples of negligence that occurred in this situation.

I felt taken advantage of with no other option but to walk away even though I need some additional medical care for Binks. I don't expect any compensation for anything. I'm only writing this to find out whether this is standard procedure and to expect this at any other Banfield office. If so, I will not be returning to any Banfield clinics. As well, my friends, colleagues and family will hear about my story. I was attracted to this clinic because I thought I would find reasonable prices and responsible care. Instead, I found that the care was well below standard. The staff was incompetent. Because of my concern for the swollen limb, I was very specific when I brought Binks back. I needed to speak to the doctor before she was treated and was reliant that was understood. I was required to wait 40 minutes before someone "realized" I was there waiting.

The staff had already started to treat her and were in the process of inserting a new catheter. I run a small business and it's not hard for me to realize I've made a mistake and compensate the customer. Even when it's a delivery issue and not my fault. I have a responsibility to help that customer have a positive experience. Sometimes it costs me money out of pocket to make the customer happy. However I'm safe in the knowledge that people who do business with me will not have to worry about feeling ripped off. My business has been very successful this way. I can only hope to inspire other businesses to do the same. Banfield is a sorry excuse for existence. I wish I had read other reviews before taking my pet there. I have committed animal abuse and owe my pet an apology.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2013

If anyone has any interest in their pet I would highly recommend staying away from any Banfield location. All they do is lie to you to get your money!!! I had the unfortunate experience of having my Golden Retriever (Sahara) get defensive about a bone with my Fiance's Toy Yorkie (Roxie). After Sahara nipped at Roxie we noticed that Roxie's eye was out of her socket. So we rushed her to Banfield because I used to take Sahara there and that was the closest vet we could think of. This was the biggest mistake I made. When we got there it took 2 hours before they told us what could be done, then they lied saying they would be able to stick the eye back in the socket. That there may be complications down the road where it may need to be removed in time if it doesn't heal properly. That this would only cost $1,400 for the operation.

Well the 2nd biggest mistake was asking them to proceed with the procedure. They told us that we can go home and they would give us a call when it was all said and done. Well we got a call in about an hour and they said everything looks good to come there and pick up Roxie. Which is one big lie!!! So we get there and they tell us, "Sorry we couldn't put the eye in but you still owe us $900, and we recommend taking it to an emergency 24/7 vet. Yes, you'll have to pay them as well." When I complained that I should have to pay for a procedure that wasn't done as promised they held Roxie hostage and wouldn't give her to us until we did. We had no choice since we needed to get her to the real Vet as soon as possible.

Blue Pearl where we took her to had her in right away and called us no later than 30 minutes and said the procedure went perfect and it only took her 10 minutes to do the operation. That her eye is responding to light and has movement and should heal great with maybe a little loss in vision. Yet Banfield couldn't do anything in almost 3-4 hours???? Again I repeat stay away from Banfield if you value your pets life!!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2013

Don't take your pet to these vets! I took my 13-year-old domestic Shorthair male cat to the Banfield in Peoria, AZ because he had a loose front tooth - it was sticking out over his upper lip. They recommended an extraction and dental cleaning. I could not afford the procedure, so they suggested their "wellness plan" to bring the cost down to something I could afford right away. They told me it was urgent to get him in right away so they "fit him into their schedule" the next day. Of course when they had him under anesthesia, they called to tell me he needed two more teeth extracted at the cost of another $150. The original tooth fell out on the table, but I was still charged for that extraction.

Four days after surgery, my cat blew up like a balloon. I took him back thinking he had a dental infection but the vet said he had air under his skin, generally caused by trauma. My cat is an indoor cat and lives in my master bedroom. The only trauma he suffered was the dental surgery. They wanted another $600+ to try to diagnose the problem. I did not have the money and suggested sadly that he be put down as he was suffering. They did not want to do that and sent me home with antibiotics (another $28). I brought him back a couple of days later as he had blown up to 3x his size and crackled when I petted him. He was not eating, drinking or using his litterbox. I had looked this up and found out it was subcutaneous emphysema, and my thought was that they punctured his trachea during intubation during surgery.

When I brought him back again, I suggested this and they said they doubted it happened then as the intubation tubes are small and flexible. They sent me home again, saying without more tests there was nothing they could do for him. I wrote a scathing survey on Banfield.com and two hours later got a call from the local hospital, saying they "wanted to do right by my pet", said this could have happened during surgery and offered an outside surgical consult. I went to the consult and the outside surgeon said "very likely" they tore his trachea during surgery.

It took a WEEK for me to get a call back from the vet surgeon who did this to my cat (she said she thought someone else had called me). I have called the Client Advocate department and have a case number, but still no one has called me about this and it has been over a week already. I talked to the surgeon today and she apologized for not calling me sooner, but NEVER apologized for what she did to my pet. Each time I took my cat in, they told me they had never seen this condition before. She said this was not negligence, not malpractice but an unexpected complication of the surgery. Really? My cat went in for a TOOTH EXTRACTION! Thankfully he is slowly recovering. After his trachea finally healed, the air is being reabsorbed into his system.

I reversed the charges on my credit card and am going to be like a fly on crap until they respond to me. You will see this review on every consumer website I can find. If they think I am paying for that wellness plan they can think again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2013

My regular vet's hours are inconvenient for me right now, so I thought I'd take my cats to Banfield for their shots. I found a coupon online for a free exam and consultation, so I thought it would also save me some money. Bad move. The pet "hospital" check-in desk was not in a separate room in the store - it was out in the open, just like the cash registers. The front-desk receptionist checking me in needed to weigh the cats, and the scale was in front of the desk, open to the entire store. My cats are strictly indoor pets and have never been exposed to the type of noisy, wide-open environment that's typical of a big box store.

I was offered a leash, but my cats aren't leash-trained and I was afraid they'd injure themselves trying to escape a leash. So, I kept my hand on each cat during the weigh-in, and the weights are probably inaccurate as a result. Not only were the cats distressed being exposed like that, but I was afraid they'd bolt into the store and out the door. I was lucky to get them both back into the carrier before the next customer with a dog arrived moments later. The exam room doors also opened directly to the store, and it did not feel secure. The noise from the store was still loud inside the room and made the cats even more nervous.

A young woman came into the room and introduced herself by name, but didn't mention that she was a vet tech, not the doctor. She began entering basic information in the computer, then turned on an information video before leaving the room. I wasn't asked if I wanted to view the video, and it sounded more like an annoying sales pitch than pet health information, so I turned it off after about 30 seconds. The young woman came back into the room and began examining the cats (she tried to hide her surprise that I'd turned off the video). While talking to her about the cats' health, I came to the realization that she was a tech, not a veterinary doctor. After the exams, she began totaling my bill in the computer, and I reminded her that I had a coupon for a free exam and consultation. She adjusted my bill and left the room again.

She returned with the veterinary doctor who performed a very brief, perfunctory exam and gave the cats their shots. After they got the FVRCP, the vet informed me that I'd need to come back to get the booster in 3 weeks since this was the cats' first FVRCP. I told her that it wasn't - they got that every year at their regular vet. But they entered it on the vaccine record as only being valid for three weeks, pending a booster. I'm boarding the cats in a few weeks, and will have to show proof of current FVRCR, so I'm going to have to make another appointment. But trust me, I'm going to their regular vet to get this straightened out. I will never go back to Banfield ever again.

The vet and the vet tech were very nice, pleasant, and were good to my cats. Although I didn't get the same feeling of confidence from the vet that my regular vet conveys, the vet was very professional in her demeanor. But, when I pay for a veterinary exam I expect a full exam to be conducted by a veterinary doctor, not a tech. I had to remind various staff members at least 4 times that I had a coupon for a free exam and reduced fee for a 2nd exam before the charges were adjusted on the bill. Overall, I came away from the visit with the feeling that this pet "hospital" is not about providing quality veterinary care, but rather, it's about up-selling products and services and bilking the consumer out of as many dollars as possible. I left feeling extremely annoyed by the manipulative tactics used by all the staff to sell their wellness plans.

When I left I was told about a customer survey that I could fill out. I did that, but was dissatisfied with that as well. It didn't provide enough space to detail the specific reasons for dissatisfaction. I have boarded my cats at the PetsHotel in the same store where the Banfield pet "hospital" was located, and I've had nothing but excellent service and great satisfaction at the PetsHotel. So, I went to Banfield with the same expectation, only to be let down. I'm giving Banfield one star only because the staff was friendly in spite of all the other sources of dissatisfaction; otherwise, it would be zero stars if that option were available. My advice if you're considering taking your furry family members to Banfield: Go elsewhere. It might cost you a little more, but you'll save in the long run and you and your pets will be happier.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2013

Took my 9-lb dog because he was vomiting and in pain when you touched his back... Vet gave me 4 different medications and was told if he feels better you don't have to come back. If he doesn't then come back for follow up... I wasn't convinced that the Banfield vet knew what was wrong and didn't seem confident. Kept saying I don't know so I took my dog, all his medicine and went to a vet recommended by several people. Well other vet, NOT Banfield, told me, "Wow, they gave him all these antibiotics? It's because she didn't know what was wrong with him and one of these would knock out whatever he had."

He also proceeded to tell me how Banfield rips people off on the wellness plan. If you value your pet's life, DON'T take them to Banfield. I was even told by a PetSmart employee NOT to go to Banfield. Even he/she doesn't trust them. I now take my pet to another trusted vet and it does NOT cost that much. Banfield just raises their prices up drastically to make you think you're getting a discount and you're not. PLEASE do your research and do not go to Banfield. So after I cancelled my plan with Banfield, they send me a $200 collection letter to which they say it was for services that the plan covered for the year even though my pet no longer was on the plan but supposedly even after I canceled and we never went. Somehow they say the vets still provided for my pet? Really? I will never ever take a loved pet to Banfield. They don't care about your pet. They care about how much money they can make off you.

Original review: July 23, 2013

I took my 15 year old cat to Banfield today since my vet was on vacation and I had a coupon for a free office visit. Bad move. After bloodwork and urinalysis they determined she had a urinary tract infection. They prescribed Covenia 80 mg injectable which my cat had 2 years ago for the same problem. The cost of the Covenia $57.68 which was more than double what I paid for it 2 years ago. I questioned the cost of the meds and the vet tech said, "I don't know anything about it".

Then they recommended the Optimum Wellness Plan, which looked pretty good until I read the Terms and Conditions. If my pet died during the year, I would either have to pay back all of the retail prices for the services received in that period or pay the installments for the remainder of the year. And the Provider could cancel the plan at anytime for any reason. Does this sound reasonable? I don't think so. Sounds like a rip off to me. I suggest to everyone to read the fine print of the contract.

Original review: July 23, 2013

I had been taking my Pug, Chase, to Banfield for his veterinary care since he came to live with us. A few months previous to this incident, Chase had been diagnosed with epilepsy and placed on anti-seizure medication which seemed to be helping with his seizures. One Saturday morning, I noticed Chase had vomited his breakfast. Aside from that, he wasn't himself. He was just lying around, he didn't want to go for a walk or go outside. He wasn't interested in playing or eating or spending time with anyone. He was drinking water but he would promptly vomit even that up. I called his vet. The receptionist told me they could not see him until Monday. She never informed the vet of his symptoms. She never recommended we take him to an emergency treatment center. Just told me he could not be seen until Monday and essentially hung up on me.

I called back later that day, as Chase had gotten worse. He was shaking. His eyes were filmed over and he was just clearly a very sick puppy. Same thing - didn't speak to the vet, didn't tell me to take him somewhere else, just told me there was no way he could be seen. I asked her if it was a problem that he was unable to even keep down his epilepsy medication and she sort of just blew that off.

Sunday night I knew we had to do something. Chase seemed barely conscious. His body was shaking. He still couldn't eat or drink and couldn't keep down his seizure medication. I took him to an emergency vet in Turnersville, who was shocked that he was as sick as he was. The vet there said she couldn't speak for any other vet, but if she had heard symptoms like these, particularly in a dog with epilepsy, she would have either made time to see him herself or referred him to someone else immediately. Chase was suffering from severe pancreatitis, and the vet told us it was a good thing we had brought him in when we had. He was suffering from dehydration and malnourishment and had an extremely high fever; there was a good chance he could have died if we had waited for his appointment on Monday.

I have contacted Banfield about this; it is ridiculous that they acted as if my dog simply had a little stomach bug that would go away on its own. The receptionist never even spoke to the vet about his symptoms, and now a woman I never once spoke to named Fawn is claiming she told me to take him to emergency care. I never spoke to a woman named Fawn and NO ONE ever told me to take him anywhere else. Their entire attitude was that he was probably fine and could wait until they had an opening for him.

Chase is still in the hospital as I type this. He seems to be recovering well. He has been on IV fluids and a feeding tube and is slowly coming around. When I think about what might have happened if I had listened to the fools at Banfield, it makes me want to cry. They may deal with many sick dogs every day, but this is MY dog, and he is part of my family, and they treated him as if his very life was unimportant. I am continuing to speak with Banfield to find out how they could treat their patients this way, and I have since switched vets. I do not recommend this place to anyone. They don't care about their patients.

Original review: July 22, 2013

I am so confused. Banfield received such horrible ratings. All I can say is amazing. They were completely amazing. We were battling cancer unfortunately the cancer won. The day that my dog was put to rest, the assistant, Jess, was able to do something that I was unable to do which was stand by my dog's side until her last breath. There is nothing more that I would ever ask for from this place. I strongly recommend Banfield Pet Hospital in Whitehall Allentown PA

Original review: July 22, 2013

After having my female dog spayed I had a lot questions before bringing her home. I addressed these questions to a manager by the name of Chrissy **. I was taken back by her whole demeanor. She seemed to rush us right out the door after collecting our cash. It seems like Banfield Pet Hospital is all about their numbers and not about quality customer service. We are considering changing vet hospitals and going back to a little small town vet hospital. I would suggest retraining Ms. ** on her approach with good paying customers who pay their bills in cash. Extremely disappointed customer and we will be sharing our experience on social media about Ms. ** and Banfield Veterinary.

Original review: July 18, 2013

I have a lot of experience in treating sick animals and I am very good on the internet. I have my college degrees, a photographic for numbers and spatial reference, and years of treating really serious equine injuries. I took a sick cat to Banfield after I had been treating him myself for two weeks, and I was confident he was out of danger and on the way to recovery. I have an excellent vet but I have no health insurance for the animal and he had a foreign object blockage. Treatment options are basically hospitalization & surgery, or force feeding to keep him alive and pour tons of kitty lax down him and hope he passes the foreign object on his own.

In all likelihood, he should be dead right now. But I did everything I could, forced water/pedialyte/wet food and lots of Laxatone into this cat for ten days. Thought about putting him down every one of those ten days, but he kept breathing and I kept going. After nine days of barely showing any signs of consciousness, he peed and after ten days, he passed the foreign object. The cat at this point was very underweight and very dehydrated but his faculties had started working and he started to show signs of knowing where he was.

My biggest concern now was that I had nicked his cheek with a fingernail or spoon or something while force feeding him and his cheek was swollen from a slight infection and he was uncomfortable with eating and drinking. Banfield had given me a coupon for a 'free office visit & checkup' and I took him in for antibiotics, fluids, and shot to stimulate his appetite. The twenty-something Vet advised I do exactly that. The most common antibiotics for cats (clavamox liquid) cost about $15, one quick bag of subcutaneous fluids about $15-20. I had enough money for both and my intent was to get the antibiotics, the fluids, and a shot to stimulate his appetite. The twenty-something did keep looking for the infection and like she had never seen an infection and had to be shown where it was.

Imagine my surprise when the charge for the antibiotics alone was $42. I just looked at her and I kept asking, "Are you sure?".... I didn't feel this vet have enough years of practice or knowledge to deal with a sick animal. I felt the Vet Tech had enough years and knowledge but the Vet, nothing. She was there to get me to spend money.

In the end, I didn't have the money and I had to make a choice. I took time off work, I was using up the last of my physical reserves, and I needed the antibiotics. So I took the pet home, dangerously thin, dangerously low on fluids with $15 worth of antibiotics which I paid $44 (with tax) for. I would never go back to Banfield. Banfield is a marketing gimmick. These people aren't Vets, they are there to sell you overpriced services and goods. The only reason the Vet knew the cat was sick was because I told her. I believe my cat was smarter and better educated, and little more coherent than my twenty-something vet. I would never go back there.

Original review: July 18, 2013

I took my cat to Banfield several times starting in late May because she was urinating all over the house. They diagnosed her with a bladder infection and possible kidney stones. They never ran a urine sample because my cat's bladder was empty. They put her on antibiotics and told me to come back in a week or so. I brought her back and they ran a urine sample and told me there were crystals in my cat's urine which meant she had non-palpable kidney stones, prescribed another round of antibiotics and a prescription diet to help break down the crystals.

Today, I took my cat to a Veterinary Hospital because it's been months of trying different things and she was just getting worse. I was told that the type of bladder infection that Banfield was treating my poor cat for occurred in less than 1% of the feline population and that kidney stones were only detectable by ultrasound or X-ray, neither of which were performed. My cat was in severe renal failure and had to be put down. If we caught this sooner when she first presented symptoms she would have been okay for another couple of years. I had another cat go through it and know how to administer proper fluids and diet for Renal failure. Renal failure diets involve low protein diets, the diet that they put my cat on for kidney stones is high protein/high fat. If you love your pet, DO NOT TAKE YOUR ANIMAL TO THIS OVERPRICED JOKE OF A VET!!!

Original review: July 18, 2013

Banfield Pet Hospital is by far the worst veterinarian group out there. Our dog had been going to the Nashua, NH location for years for chronic ear infections, skin infections, and allergies. He has been treated with numerous rounds of antibiotics and steroids. They convinced us to purchase their insurance and told us our dog has a heart murmur and should really be seen by a cardiologist. He has had every test imaginable: thyroid, allergy, blood panels. All came back normal.

Well years and literally thousands of dollars later, we moved and found a new veterinarian. He ran a complete blood panel, allergy test, thyroid test, and an echocardiogram. The results came back, and he has hypothyroidism, allergies to numerous environmental stimuli and NO heart murmur. Banfield is just out for your money and not the health of your pet and will try to upsell you at every turn. Do yourself and your pet a favor and stay FAR away from these guys.

Original review: July 17, 2013

Had an appointment for my pet dental needs and I was unable to take him to the hospital because I am having a mobility problem; since the visit was scheduled for Monday morning, I did call the office on Saturday morning and spoke to one of the employees and she assured me it was fine (I will take care; her words). Well I received a reminder call of my appointment for today July 17. When I call this morning to find out the reason of the call I was told they didn't have no records, and of course there will be a charge! Really, this is unacceptable since I did my part. Not my fault employees aren't reliable.

Original review: July 17, 2013

I was given medicine for my rabbit which clearly states on the label "for dogs only." What more can I say? I also had a coupon which said in bold print, a free first exam for your "pet," but was informed it was not for rabbits. It might be in the public interest to close Banfield down.

Original review: July 15, 2013

Much like many other people we were duped into buying the wellness plan. We took our 10-year-old Mastiff to them to have a growth removed. After testing they said, "It was nothing serious, join the wellness plan and save money." We figured, why not? He's 10. He should be looked at regularly. After having the growth removed, he started peeing in the house, and started losing his appetite. Upon taking him back they said it was a UTI and tried to charge us $200 for antibiotics. We got them much cheaper elsewhere. He seemed better for a couple of weeks, then went downhill fast. We brought him back again. All of a sudden he had a growth in his stomach, a heart murmur and a 106 degree fever. At this point after of course more tests, they recommended hospitalization, and a battery of tests costing thousands of dollars, with no guarantee of recovery. At this point the dog was suffering horribly. We did the humane thing though it was heartbreaking. Of course I called to cancel the plan and was told that wasn't possible, and I have to finish the year. I will never bring another animal to these people. I felt that they were intentionally incompetent and deceitful. Proceed with caution.

Original review: July 15, 2013

This incident happened months ago and I am still distraught over it. My cat is 16 years old and she had been covered by the wellness plan for over a year. I never had exceptional service, but I figured it was cheaper than most vets; therefore, I expected the quality to be minimal. However, I had hoped that they at least knew what they were doing. I was wrong and it almost cost my cat's life. Banfield called me one morning and claimed I had scheduled a teeth cleaning appointment for my cat. I said I hadn't made an appointment but since it was 'covered' in the wellness plan, thought, maybe I should take her in anyway. I expressed concern that due to her age, I didn't take it was safe for her to be put under. The vet reassured me that she would be fine.

They called me half-way through the teeth cleaning to tell me that she had a cracked tooth, weren't sure how long she had had it, but that it was critical I pay to have it removed. I hadn't noticed her in any pain, but again I trusted the 'professionals'. They extracted the tooth and what was supposed to be a standard cleaning under the wellness plan, turned out to be a $300+ surgery. Amazing how they called me to schedule the appointment and managed to squeeze more money out of me.

It got worse. A few days after the tooth extraction, I noticed my cat was not doing well. She wasn't eating and was losing weight rapidly. I immediately took her back in and asked they blood work. They told me she was fine but 'probably still recovering from the anesthesia". After a few more days, she had dropped from 13lbs to 8lbs and wasn't moving, walking, drinking, anything. I took her back in and insisted on more blood work. Finally the vet came in and told me she was suffering from kidney failure and that I should put her down!! What?!? Kidney failure is progressive. It doesn't happen in a week. If her kidneys were beginning to fail, then the vet should have never put her under.

I was furious. I knew there was something else wrong. After research, I discovered that sometimes cats can go into ACUTE kidney failure due to anesthesia. (This is especially true of senior animals. Banfield should have NEVER sought me out to encourage me to have her teeth cleaned.) If caught early, the kidney failure can be reversed. I took her to a highly regarded vet in town and he immediately put her in ICU for two weeks. After intense treatment with fluids, she fully recovered. 100%. Her kidneys are good as new with no signs of failing anytime soon.

Banfield convinced me to get her teeth cleaned plus all the follow up blood work ended up costing me over $700; only for them to tell me I should put her down - for even more money!! I am trying to provide a quick overview of my experience as there are too many details that made my experience with Banfield horrifying; from the way the staff treated me to the cleanliness of the place and the professionalism of the staff.

I hate that place. They are unethical, unprofessional and a disgrace to the veterinary practice. I had my dog under the wellness plan as well. After all the stress with my cat, I immediately canceled my dog and cat's plans. I will NEVER set foot in Banfield or PetSmart again. I have heard numerous stories similar to mine. I just wish Banfield would be forced to close their doors permanently.

Original review: July 14, 2013

I wish I would have read this site before I signed up for the wellness program. It is a complete waste of money. They encourage you to come in and then overcharge everything that's not on the plan. So not worth it!

Original review: July 13, 2013

I took my 12-year old dog to Banfield back in May for a mass that had appeared on his back leg. They took a biopsy and told me they would have the results in a couple of days. I received the results and decided to go ahead and let them remove the mass. I took Blue in today to have the mass removed and when I got there, the lady had me sign a couple of forms. As I was reviewing them, I pointed out to her that he was there for a tumor removal, not a teeth cleaning. I mentioned this more than one time. I got a call about an hour later from the Vet to tell me that Blue needed to have several teeth removed. I was at a loss for words. I told her that he wasn't there for a teeth cleaning, he was there to have a mass removed. She acted like she had no idea what I was talking about.

I am now in communication with the Banfield manager (who is not a Vet), and he is trying to say that this is normal practice. He asked me about some Wellness program they’re offering and if I had signed up for it, which I told him NO. They are trying to tell me that any time an animal comes in, they have to have their teeth cleaned in one appointment and then come back and get charged again for the actual problem. I will never ever go to Banfield again. Their business practices are unethical. I am waiting as I type for a call back from the manager to find out how this is going to be resolved. I have also contacted the PetSmart manager for the store and of course, there is nothing they can do. I will be contacted by both Banfield Corporate and PetSmart Corporate on Monday morning.

Original review: July 13, 2013

The "nurses" were good and caring. The doctor was like a used car salesman. Tried to sell me everything. Then says “but we have a money saving package.” Sounded and looked like a rip-off. So I got basic shots and left. Went and got a second opinion. Turns out his teeth are just fine, the little bump on his hip is okay (doesn’t need surgery), also the vaccinations Banfield was trying to tack on weren't necessary.

Original review: July 11, 2013

I found a young dog wandering the streets and decided to rescue her. Since it was the weekend I took her to the only vet office open on the weekend, Banfield. I wanted to get her checked out and the assistant suggested joining their Optimum Wellness Plan. For 28 bucks a month, I could reduce her bill from around a $1,000 to about $500 and all this stuff would be covered. Hey that sounds great. I mean I understand they’re artificially inflating their prices to get you to sign up for service, but for the first year it’d be a wash, so what the heck.

Upon leaving I was given 27 pages of documents describing what they've done, what I should do with her, what her schedule was for all of her shots, terms of wellness plan, what kind of side effects to expect from the first round of vaccinations, what are the side effects from the microchip, what are the effects of the spaying, who to call in case of emergency, who to call to register the microchip, etc... I was given 27 pages to read and sign, all while l tried to hold a dog still groggy from anesthesia. Fast forward 4 hours, I want to cancel my wellness plan. And lo and behold, it's not a monthly plan, but an annual plan, of which you are contractually obligated to fulfill if you have received any discounts within that year.

“Wait, what? Since when? I was told it was a monthly plan that I could keep and cancel whenever I wanted.” “Oh, but sir you can cancel but you would have to pay us for the amount of benefit you have received.” “Well, had I known that I wouldn't have agreed to it in the first place.” “Sir, didn't you receive the disclosure statement when you signed up?” “You, mean in those 27 pages I was supposed to read something before signing that was different from what your representative just told me?” “Well, yes sir, I always read what I’m signing, don’t you”? Oh really, when is the last time you read your credit card disclosure statement, an entire bill of sale, heck any disclosure about your privacy or any EULA from a piece of computer software?” “Well, our disclosure is only two pages sir.”

“You mean I was supposed to pick out those two pages in the twenty odd pages you just gave me that contains critical information about my dogs health. Forgive me for allowing the representative to breeze right through that disclosure statement. Can you make an exception due to the fact that your agent misrepresented the product and just zero out my balance and cancel it from this point forward? Heck, I've moved and you have no locations within twenty five miles.” “No sir, no exceptions, that's the rule it is not our fault you didn't read the fine print.” “So, even though your agent clearly told me something that wasn't true while trying to get me to sign up for the plan that she would make a commission on, and threw the fine print inside a huge packet of papers where I had to sign and read, you still cannot make any exception?” “No sir, no exception.”

Original review: July 11, 2013

Banfield Veterinary Hospital on Heritage Trace inside of Walmart - My local pharmacy did not have the medicine in that another vet ordered. The cost of this medicine at the pharmacy was going to be approximately $15.00. Since they didn't have it in, they called Banfield Urgent Care and was told their office visit was $39.00 and the medicine was approximately $20.00. I had a "free" complimentary office visit per a coupon that I printed from the internet. I called them and they said they accept the coupon up until 10 p.m. When I went to a different veterinarian a couple of weeks earlier it cost me $78.00. This included the office visit, urine test and medicine.

Banfield charged me $150 for the office visit, urine tests and medicines, but took off $40 for the office visit, so for this vet visit it was twice as much and with the "discount" cost me $110.00. I noticed the medicine was over $30, when I was told earlier that this medicine would be $20.00 (I am rounding the cents). I asked about this and was told it was never $20. On top of that, they tried to sell me a lot of other procedures. They are twice as expensive for the same exact medicine, gave incorrect and what seemed like deceptive information and were overpriced altogether, making me feel like I went to the proverbial "used car dealer". I will never ever use their services again.

Original review: July 11, 2013

I took my kitten here as I knew my regular vet was slammed and couldn't accept anymore walk-ins. My kitten had aspiration pneumonia and was turning purple; they put the kitten into an oxygen tent and he got better. The doctor kept pressuring me to kill the kitten and said that she's not comfortable with me hesitating, so more Banfield people came in and started ganging up on me. I ended up having them euthanize the kitten and they charged me $158.00 to do so. Then when I wanted to charge the services to a card, they said that the minimum charge for a card is $250. So I had to put the kitten down and was raped by their policies. I think there were two victims that day and the other is now dead. I talked to my regular Veterinarian and he assured me that they could have kept the kitten in the oxygen tent and put fluids as well as waited out for a few days. I will not go back!

Original review: July 10, 2013

This was the Banfield hospital in Tukwila, WA near Seattle. I have an 11-year-old blind yorkie who is big, 23 pounds. He had a lump under his arm - it had been there a while, but it seemed like a fatty tumor and it didn't bother him. However, we had a golden retriever who was diagnosed with cancer and we were paying for expensive chemotherapy treatments. Being sensitive to that, I decided to have the lump examined by the vets at Banfield. The prices charged by Banfield are as expensive as taking a pet to a specialist. It was $41 to walk in the door - our doggie oncologist charges $50. The vet said she was concerned about the lump and said it should be removed and biopsied.

A day later, the vet tech phoned in an estimate to me - nearly $900. I got a second opinion from another vet who said it wasn't bothering him, had been there awhile and given that he was 11-years-old, he would watch it for a while. Nevertheless, I was worried about cancer, so agreed to the surgery. I called five vet clinics, and the most expensive to do the same procedure was $500. The vet did the procedure. It was a fatty tumor and I am out $1,000 total for unnecessary surgery. The vet was well aware of my cancer concerns with my other dog. This felt opportunistic and predatory. I urge people not to use that clinic unless you have unlimited resources. They took advantage and saw an easy way to make money for the clinic. They put my dog in jeopardy for a fatty tumor and charged twice the price that other clinics charge. Avoid this place.

Original review: July 8, 2013

I asked to downgrade upon finding out they had other puppy packages... since they DID NOT tell me! But they refused. I did put my other puppy on the lower priced one... but it's messed up that I am stuck with the higher priced one for the other puppy. That is wrong!! This is NOT the vet's fault. This is the assistant's fault!

Original review: July 2, 2013

The staff at the Banfield Pet Hospital in Wake Forest, NC are pretty good; however, beware of product up-selling and unnecessary lab tests at this location. Make sure to ask your veterinarian how the information will be used to help or improve your pet's health or quality of life. You may be surprised to learn from your veterinarian that they are just interested in gathering more information while knowing it wouldn't make any difference regarding your pet's treatment. Hopefully they are not doing this simply as a means of improving their profit margin. Regardless, you should ask if it is really necessary. Also, be aware that you can often purchase medications, cleaning solutions, medical apparatuses much cheaper from other sources such as Petco, the internet, possibly from the PetSmart store the Banfield Hospital is located at.

Don't get in a hurry if you plan to visit this location. Whether it's a scheduled appointment or an emergency, expect to spend 30 to 45 minutes when dropping off and picking up your pets. If you are waiting with your pet during a scheduled appointment, bring your Kindle and a snack. You should know that Banfield Pet Hospitals may be privately owned (franchises) such as the location in Wake Forest, NC. If you experience a problem at a privately owned location, any kind of problem, the corporate office will not do anything more than listen, document and send your complaint back to the location you are complaining about for resolution.

I'm giving the Wake Forest Banfield Pet Hospital one star. While the staff is good, I have to vote with my wallet. I don't appreciate being told a procedure will cost ~$70 when I am already paying ~$60 a month for a pet plan and then getting hit with ~$130 bill not including the medicine. Part of the ~$130 was a Elizabethan collar sold to me at the discounted price of ~$31 (original price ~$36). A designer Elizabethan collar was available online for ~$21. I believe Petco has a similar one for ~$16.

I took the time to explain the situation to the veterinarian. I told her that I felt the situation was not right. I told her I would call her corporate office and talk with them about it. Not as a threat, but I didn't think she had any control over the situation. The following day she called me and explained with an arrogant tone that she was the Chief Operating so and so, which means she is the franchise owner. She said any complaint made to the corporate office simply gets kicked back to her.

Original review: July 2, 2013

I adopted a dog and decided on someone's recommendation to take him to Banfield. It is major highway robbery if you take your pet there. They nickel and dime you for numerous unneeded services. They put my dog on flea heartworm meds and when I called for a refill, they told me I would be required to bring my dog in for a heartworm test. This would require a $32 charge for the test PLUS a $50 charge for the office visit.

Well, hello, if he has been consistently on the meds, why would he need another test or office visit?? I am also reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Why would they start my dog on a med and then jack me up for $100+ to get a REFILL? BAD BUSINESS. I will never bring any of my pets back to Banfield. PetSmart should get smart and DUMP their in-store Banfield dog clinics.

Original review: July 2, 2013

To all, please understand that when I originally posted this, I was very, very distraught because it had just happened the same day. The doctor himself admitted to possibly giving her too much of the sedation or anesthesia or whatever. I am not a doctor and do not claim to be. Bad mouthing Banfield is not my intention. I mention no one’s names besides the pet hospital itself. As far as an update, on monitoring, they stated they did not notice anything until they saw her tongue was blue, then they checked her vitals and realized what was happening. I'm not sure what that means on the part of monitoring.

When they called me at home, they stated they didn't know what was happening, she wasn't coming out of her sedation and they didn't know why. And another assistant stated they didn't know what to do. What is it that I am supposed to think when I am told all this? How am I supposed to feel? I did not mean to say malpractice and I take that back. But I feel they may have been negligent during the procedure based off of what they told me themselves.

Original review: June 30, 2013

Please stay away from this place and all other locations. My cat was taken in for a routine scheduled teeth cleaning and died. She was put under sedation, which she has been before there, but this time they overdid it and she began to not breathe and her heartbeat slowed down. They said they tried to save her but she passed away. This is not right. Now I want to take my other cat off the wellness plan because of their malpractice and I am told I have to pay $289? After they killed my cat, they want me to pay to take the other cat off? They have changed my life more than they realize. The pain and suffering I am going through is unbearable. I want legal action taken against them. PLEASE DON'T GO HERE!!!

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information