2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2013

My two dogs have been on a Banfield Wellness Plan for over 6 years. I never had any serious problems with the individual Banfield hospital in Anderson, SC except most of the time, the dogs would see a different vet which is/was disturbing. My dog, Lucky, had to be euthanized on 9/28/13, I grieved. On 10/1/13, I tried to call Banfield corporate several times to cancel his Wellness Plan because he was dead and was told they were closed at 1 and 2 PM Pacific Time on a Tuesday. I filled out their online form but could not submit it, apparently they did not like my answers.

I finally got into queue and waited for over 30 minutes when my phone went dead. I called again, waited and got to talk to a person. I was very disappointed as to what I heard and it essentially amounted to that the plan cannot be cancelled unless it's paid off in full for the remaining 10 months or so. When I dug up their Enrollment documents from 2006, in the "Additional Terms & Conditions" it reads, in a convoluted way, that the plan renews automatically (no notification) and that it is virtually impossible to cancel since I may have to pay their fees for the next 10 months and in case I forget, for even a longer period because of the automatic renewal. Since most people don't read the fine print when they are trying to do something good for their pets, I find it despicable for Banfield to use such Self-Serving language and in closing, I would not recommend Banfield's Wellness Plan to anyone. Nor will I ever take my other dog back to Banfield or PetSmart tor that matter.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2013

I took my OES in to have her teeth cleaned Sept 22, 2013. When we left, she was whining and still half knocked out. She went in a happy healthy Dog, she came home unable to eat, has had diarrhea for almost a week. Took her back in Thursday for them to fix the problem they caused. They wanted to charge me to fix what they did. Here it is, almost a week later and we are just starting to get her back to normal. She has lost 4-5 pounds, and is starting to eat solid food again. So if you value your pet's life, don't go to Banefield, ever.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2013

I believe Banfield is mainly a money making operation. I had a coupon for a free exam and took my new dog there last year. They convinced me the wellness plan was the way to go as it would be cost effective and my Pekingese could get all her shots. On that first visit they proceeded to give her three vaccines that day and a harsh ear wash for her ear mites. She had a severe allergic reaction that night. I informed Banfield of this reaction and they decided that every time she had her shots she needed an IV catheter w/ an anti allergy drip that required me to drop her off and pick up hours later. Needless to say they charged a lot for these services, but I took their word for it that it was necessary.

Last month I attempted to make a grooming appointment for my dog and was told her rabies certificate had expired. I was not made aware of this by Banfield. I contacted Banfield and made an appointment for a rabies shot only in the evening. I visited the Banfield in Warwick, RI. I waited an hour after my scheduled appointment, was called into the exam room and waited some more. The vet tech came in the room and said we had a problem. They needed to put my dog on an IV to give her a rabies shot because of her past reaction. I insisted she should be fine without it, was only one shot and we needed it done asap. This vet tech went out and spoke to the female vet in charge that night. I could hear her exclaiming "No! NO, absolutely not!!" Then another male vet came in saying "I'm here to break the bad news to you. She wont allow the rabies shot tonight. You need to come back so they can put her on an IV." We were turned away and REFUSED A RABIES SHOT!!

Needless to say I won't be going back. I feel the vets are lacking in common sense and my experience at Banfield Thursday night proved it to me. I attempted to complain through Banfield corporate who had the store manager call me, who just supported the action of their vet. You don't even know who your vet is in that place, you never know who you are going to get, none of them are personable, you don't know where they went to school, what their credentials are, and the one on Thursday night never even came in the room to introduce herself or listen to me. I believe they are inexperienced and incompetent poor excuses for vets.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2013

I was dropping my German Shepherd, Diesel, off for his comprehensive exam and he was taken back. 5 minutes later as I'm filling out paperwork, I heard the woman in the back room scream, "Diesel, shut up!!!!!" And the sound of her hitting him!!!!!!!! I asked the woman at the front who was back there and she wouldn't answer me and was almost laughing at the whole thing. If anyone knows of a complaint number I can call, please let me know!!!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2013

I took my dog in and said "he has an ear infection and a sore on foot." They looked and confirmed that by saying "Eew, I can smell his ear." NEVER CLEANED THE EAR. Tried to sell me a program and charged me $186.00 for nothing but a tube of medicine. I went to them because it was close to my house and I didn't want to drive the 15 minutes to my regular vet. My vet would have been half that, and I would have left with clipped nails and the ears cleaned. NEVER, NEVER will I use them again and I will go back tomorrow and let them know, I was too upset at the time. They didn't even have a table to put my big boy on..... It is a big scam.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2013

Was your vet, Dr. **, by chance? If so, I'm extremely interested in talking to you. I have the same problem that you seemed to have.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2013

We brought our dachshund mix into Banfield on September 24 after we noticed he seemed to be in serious pain after stepping off our deck. The vet at Banfield looked him over and took x-rays, costing almost $400, only to tell us that he didn't know what was wrong and it was not a back issue. I asked specifically if it had anything to do with his back and was told "no, probably not." They gave us pain killers and told us to go home and come back on Sunday if he wasn't better.

The next day, Boomer wasn't any better. He was clearly uncomfortable and crying constantly. A few hours later, he completely lost control of his legs and was not able to walk or focus on anything. I called Banfield and was told that they gave me too strong a dose and to just cut his pills in half. I called again about hour and half later and was given to another vet, who told me that since he hadn't been the one to look at Boomer, he didn't know what I wanted him to say. And he said he probably had to go to the bathroom or something like that.

We rushed Boomer to the emergency vet after that and they quickly told us that it was in fact his back, and that he had slipped discs in his spine that were pushing into his spinal cord. The ER vet told us that once the dog is paralyzed, it’s really too late to do anything for him and that he was in severe pain. She told us never to go to Banfield. We were left with no choice but to put our baby to sleep. We called Banfield’s corporate office and lodged a complaint saying that we felt that if Banfield’s vets had told us earlier about him or would have tried harder to figure out what was wrong instead of dismissing us because it was closing time, we could have gotten him the surgery that would have saved his life.

The first vet called us back and basically told us that he didn't agree with the ER vet and that it wasn't his fault because Boomer wasn't showing those symptoms when he saw him. When I asked him why the other vets hadn't told us to bring him instead of blowing us off, he just kept apologizing and he would talk to his staff, and get us our money back. This is a quick fix and not good enough. The vet just kept saying that there was nothing he could do and the outcome would've been the same. This is not true. If they would have told us that we needed more help, we could have taken him to the ER sooner, and he would not have had to go through an entire day of excruciating pain.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2013

My ten-year old Papillion/Yorkshire, Hoosier, began wrenching and we had just begun the most expensive Banfield wellness plan for him. I called and they said to bring him in and was told to change his food and was given some pepsin for his stomach and sent home with the new food/diet change. Two weeks later, he began bringing up a lot of bile so Banfield said bring him in (second time) and this time, they found pancreatitis (why not this finding the first time?). So they filled Hoosier with fluids (he looked like a water balloon) and sent him home with three days of a tablet antibiotic. Hoosier stopped drinking water and his urine was dark orange so I called Banfield and was told not to worry.

Three weeks of that, back to square one with wrenching bile so why would I go back to Banfield a third time? Off to an AAHA veterinarian facility (Stateline Hillcrest), we went where they saved his life and sent him home with fourteen days of a liquid antibiotic. Hoosier is now in great health and if I had stayed with Banfield, Hoosier would more than likely be dead. After multiple communication with Banfield's cooperate office, it is obvious to me they are aggressive financially and care little for the well being of the pets they claim to serve. Banfield absolutely needs to be shut down.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

Dr. Joy was a great vet and was great with my kitten. But that's where my satisfaction stops with Banfield. Since my cat was enrolled in a 1-year wellness plan, I made it clear to the employees there that I did not want the plan to renew because I was moving (or so I thought). Months later, I see that I'm still being charged by Banfield and call to see if she's still enrolled, which she was. After making a 1-hour call to the corporate headquarters, they finally cancelled her plan and refunded me 1 month's payment, even though I never took her in and specifically requested that the plan not auto-renew. They claimed I requested that the plan not auto-renew EARLY, a technicality and mistake on their part. I never wanted to renew, and tried my hardest to communicate that to them.

I'm fairly sure that they want to keep auto charging you as long as possible, even if you haven't received services, and then state that it was 'in the contract' when it was an employee's mistake. It really is just a business trying to make as much money as they can off of the customers. So if you do enroll in a wellness plan and don't want to continue, be sure to (as specifically as possible), tell them not to let it auto-renew.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2013

My pet had to get a dental done because he had started dropping food. It turns out he had a bad tooth. They professionally called me at work and informed me that the extraction and meds would be an additional $85. I gave them the ok and he is back to himself in a matter of 2 days eating like a horse. I go to the south Aurora location and love everything they have done for my dogs over the years. They are very fair and love my pets like their own. If you are in need of a good vet, go here.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2013

On Tuesday my wife noticed our Maxx was having a problem with his right eye. She was visiting our daughter so she took him to Banfield in Wesley Chapel, NC (Daughter's vet). The vet examined Maxx and advised my wife that he had an eye infection and was given meds to treat. My wife felt his left eye also seemed slightly affected and was told by the vet to not be concerned, it was limited to the right eye. She returned home on Wednesday and the eye was closed and by late Wednesday, it was obvious that the left eye too was affected. She had followed the instructions from the Banfield NC vet to the letter as Maxx is a big part of our family and we see him as a little boy in a white furry suit!

Thursday morning, she took him to our vet and was sent immediately to Banfield in Myrtle Beach SC for an ocular pressure test. Banfield Myrtle Beach looked at the report from Banfield Wesley Chapel and was surprised to see that no ocular test had been performed. The Banfield Myrtle Beach vet set up an immediate appointment with an animal eye specialist in Charleston and was told to get him there immediately. I left work and we drove him the hour and half drive to Charleston to see the specialist. We were taken in immediately and Maxx was examined. His ocular pressure was 70 which the specialist advised us was extreme and that she had never had a patient near that pressure. They relieved the pressure and began to treat Maxx. We were told that due to the amount of pressure Maxx would likely be blind in both eyes after being treated.

We left him there overnight for treatment and picked him up on Friday afternoon. We are taking him back this Tuesday for a follow up and long term planning. Maxx has Glaucoma. If you Google this you will find this is common in several breeds and seems to happen between 2-3 year old dogs. Maxx is 2 1/2 years old and always affects one eye first. If you continue to read, the symptoms Maxx had were textbook to what he had when he was seen in NC. The vet should have done a simple test and referred us to a specialist less than 15 minutes away. Instead we were treating him for an infection as he continued to go blind.

We have been told that if we had taken him to a specialist on Tuesday, his sight would have been saved. My wife called Banfield in Wesley Chapel and pleaded with them to be careful of providing the wrong info in a case like ours and my wife is much more forgiving than I but totally heartbroken. We were charged $160.00 for this misdiagnosis, and since have spent nearly $1000.00 and it isn't over yet. We have a healthy 2 1/2 year old fella that still has an average life span of 10-12 years that is totally blind due to the Wesley Chapel Banfield's misdiagnosis.

As I said before my wife is much more forgiving than I. My next expense is an attorney and I promise you that these people will pay for their incompetence! This is not about the money, I don't care what the cost to take these people to court or if we recover one cent. It's not fair to us or our Maxx that we suffer this due to someone's ignorance or negligence. This is one of the most heartbreaking events to affect our family in many years! Just remember that not all Banfield clinics are this negligent... The one in Myrtle Beach was very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2013

I took my kitten in yesterday in an emergency. He suddenly became sick and my regular vet was closed for the day. The first thing I found out about these Banfield people is they are disgustingly predatory and actually prey upon people with pets in distress. First they charged me $40.00 for just visiting the office (visiting the office!!). Then they wanted to do a blood test on him that cost 175 dollars for information they could find out much cheaper. Never have I seen such outrageous fees anywhere in my life.

The second thing I learned is they are incompetent when it comes to reading and dealing with people. It turned out my kitten, who has always been indoors, tested positive for the virus FIV. This killed me especially as this little kitten chose me and has been more like a buddy and a funny roommate than a kitten. I know I said I wanted to die, but they could have checked and made sure what I meant. I felt I had failed my little friend, and it crushed me. But they didn't check, they didn't ask if I was okay, nothing like that. Instead, they snatched the kitten away from me and lied to me, saying they were going to clean him up.

Unknown to me, they were calling the police while I waited! Yes, called the police who proceeded to haul me away in front of an entire store full of people. These disgusting vermin (Banfield) had the audacity earlier to not take the kitten's temperature because they said they didn't want to "stress him out". Gee, ya think maybe forcing him to stay in a strange place scared and alone might "stress him out???" But, how silly of me, then they could charge more money to keep him overnight!

So, as it stands now, I cannot even go to get him. What are they going to do, call the police again? Or just keep him as long as they can so they can get more money? Banfield in Independence, MO, you people are the most disgusting people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2013

I had a wellness plan for my cat for two years but when my renewal came up, I decided to not renew my plan as I had recently lost my job. I called Banfield and told them I did not want to renew my wellness plan and to please cancel it. My request for cancellation happened in October of 2013. On September 5, 2013, I got a call from Banfield telling me that my cat was due for a comprehensive exam to which I replied, "I don't have a wellness plan for my cat anymore." I was told by Banfield that I could come in for my cat's exam under some sort of donation fund they have.

When I went into my "free visit", I was told that my cat DID have a wellness plan. My previous wellness plan was set up on automatic withdrawal from my checking account. Apparently Banfield canceled my wellness plan from November till February and began removing monthly payments from my checking account for 8 MONTHS! WITHOUT MY CONSENT AFTER I CANCELED MY PLAN! They stole over $200 from me! When I called to get the issue resolved, I encountered nothing but rude, unprofessional people who hung up on me and yelled. I will never bring my cat back to Banfield and I highly recommend no one else does either!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

My son was convinced to accept the "insurance" offered by this establishment for $65.00 a month. On the few visits, there is always an additional cost offered. This last visit, I dropped the pet off at 8am and advised the clerk at the counter to call me with their assessment. I did not receive a call. I arrived at 5:30 pm to pick her up and they "were not finished with her". After waiting for an hour, we were finally asked to talk to the vet about a skin condition. I specifically dropped her off so as not to wait to be seen. I inquired as to the skin condition as was told, "You should have that looked at." Doing so was apparently not part of the $65.00 monthly fee - that is for healthy visits only. Why would someone pay $780.00 for yearly shots? The price for items recommended was absurdly overstated so as to show a "discount" as as part of the plan.

I've been to vets all over the country and have never seen anything like it. When the vet sensed my unease, she left the room and sent in the clerk to try and sell the additional items. I agreed to one item, with reluctance, only to find out it was not available. Keep in mind, I dropped the pet of at 8am with contact information. Why at 7pm are they discovering they do not have what the pet needed? The complete disregard for the pet and the owner was astounding. This so called "insurance" is a scheme to take advantage of unsuspecting victims. I would never recommend this company for anything, especially entrusting them to the well being of my pet, as well being is not their primary focus - money is.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2013

I got a new puppy and I went to Pet Smart to get her food, bowls, toys, treats etc. The Pet Smart associate sold me a new Puppy 2013 Starter Kit at the cash register. In this puppy kit there was a free consultation coupon with a Banfield veterinarian. So I made an appointment. The lady who registered me at the front desk asked me if I would like to enroll in the wellness plan. I told her I wanted to see how this visit went first. A vet nurse came and took us in the exam room. She asked what we were there for. I told her I would like to get my puppy's shots up-to-date. She asked me what shot do I need. I gave her the paperwork on my puppy's last shots. She still didn't know what shots I needed. Then she started talking about enrolling in the wellness plan. I told her that I wanted to see how this visit went before I made a decision. I will go home and discuss with my husband.

The doctor came in next and he started talking about himself, where he was from, how long he's been a vet. etc. He asked what we were there for and then he proceeded to talk about enrolling in the wellness plan. I told him I wanted to see how this visit went and I will talk it over with my husband at home. The doctor walked out of the room. At this time, I walked out of the room, went to the front desk to pay my bill and no one could understand why I was upset. I was upset because everyone at this place only cared about selling me something instead of taking care of my puppy. I do not recommend this vet. Go to your neighborhood vet. I did. Totally different experience.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2013

Our first visit with our puppy to Banfield, the doctor dropped him on the floor. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Boss was only 8 weeks old. However, the vet was very apologetic and she seemed very nice. So we decided to get the puppy plan with them. We notice that Boss had started to itch a lot and scratch even more and we noticed a patch of hair coming out. She said he probably had allergies, recommended Benadryl. Well, his next visit for a shot, we were told that his doctor had transferred. We saw Dr. **. Dr. ** told us that it didn't look like allergies to him. It looked like Mange and did some tests. It was Mange. He put us on a treatment plan and this is where it went downhill.

During this process, Boss also had gotten Giardia and had meds for it. After his meds were done, we had to get another test. I took them a stool sample that was supposed to be sent out to be tested to ensure it was gone. I came back for results and they said I never left the stool. They have nothing in his notes. I went back and forth with them and finally they agreed to do another test for free. Second incident, Boss was to have 4 dips for the Mange then start some meds. I took him for his last dip and they told me he had already had it. So here we go again! I had to go back and forth about how I know he had only come 3 times because I HAVE ONLY TAKEN HIM HERE FOR THREE DIPS!!!! Again, they can't find the info in his notes.

Finally, they figure it out and give him his last dip. Meanwhile, the associate on the phone tells me she cannot talk to me anymore because I am too confrontational. So now I am livid. I simply asked her why is it that you all do not keep good records of what's going on in there? Her explanation was, sometimes the doctors get overwhelmed and make MENTAL notes........ WHAT?!?!?! I am furious to know that my baby is basically depending on someone's memory or lack of memory in dealing with his health....... And she said I was confrontational?!?! I think I should be because HOW and WHY is this okay??? So if anyone is like me and feels like their pet is their baby and a family member, DO NOT take them to any Banfield anywhere!!!!!!! Keep your babies safe and healthy, somewhere else!!!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2013

Our 7-year old Irish Terrier Amy has recently been diagnosed with auto immune anemia. Luckily, we were referred by Banfield (after over 130.00 bill to look at her) to a specialist vet in the area. Our specialist has been faxing to Banfield all of Amy's records and information after each weekly visit. We got a call yesterday from Banfield that Amy is due for distemper and bordetella immunizations. Any pet with an auto immune disease cannot tolerate any immunizations. If we hadn't done our research and had taken Amy in for these shots, most likely she would die. Done with Banfield.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2013

I have had several bad experiences with Banfield Pet Hospital, Vancouver Mall Drive, Vancouver, Washington. However, I am only going to describe my most recent experience with them. My 6 year old dog had diarrhea for two days, and on the 3rd day she began vomiting, so I called Banfield and took her in immediately. After waiting 20 minutes to be helped, they put us in a room, and shortly one of the techs came in. I gave her a history of what was going on, and as she is typing on the computer she says to me, "Well, they will probably want to do x-rays." How much is that, I asked - her response was $206. I told her that I was not clear what an x-ray would even show, and that $200 was too much money.

When the vet came in, she said, "So, I understand that x-rays are too expensive for you, so we will do a gram stain (test of fecal matter) and take it from there." She left, and when she returned she said she had seen bacteria that she sees with salmonella and ordered 3 prescriptions to be given: amoxicillin as an antibiotic, cerenia for vomiting and an antidiarrheal medication.

The cerenia was to be given 1 hour before the other two meds to ensure that they would not be vomited back up. The "4 pack" of cerenia I received was one round tablet, broken (not cut) into 4 pieces and the cost was $33. Amoxicillin was $20 for 20 capsules (100 capsules go for $19) and the visit cost me $106 (I was not charged for the office visit, since I had already purchased a wellness plan). The vet never took her temperature, nor did she do any blood or urine tests.

This will be my last visit to Banfield, they over-charge (at least 3x the markup) on their prescriptions, they "hard sell" you with the premise of "you want to do what's best for your dog" and they try to get you to agree to tests or treatments that are not even necessary, but always expensive. I have even talked to the owner of this Banfield, Dr. Goff, and he ended up charging me $850 to pull 7 of her teeth, yet never scheduled any type of follow-up visit. I have paid almost $2,000 since going to Banfield the first of this year, but I have finally learned my lesson: they don't care about your animal, they only care about the almighty buck.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2013

Took my cat to see one of their vets. Vet seemed pleasant at first. Charged us for every little thing she did and didn't do. She prescribed a medication and included the medication in our bill, without our consent. We went on vacation and were unable to give it to the pet. After returning, we called and asked for a new prescription, since the medication was expired already. At first we were told to just come down and pick it up. When we finally called to pick up medication, we were told a different story, that we had to schedule a new visit as a follow up for them to even think about prescribing medication again (follow up for what since my pet never took the medication to begin with??).

After many calls and even a face-to-face visit, they refused to hand us a prescription or even approve one from an online pharmacy. During our face-to-face visit, no one wanted to take responsibility and they kept on telling us to pay for a new visit and that we would then receive a prescription. In short, they will only prescribe something if you purchase the medication from them. They are less than useless on the phone, and always pass on the issue to someone else who is NEVER in. The Vet refuses to take our call, and is always too busy to speak to us on the phone. NEVER, EVER take your pet to these scums.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

I bought a wellness program for my dog which I no longer have. Banfield has charged above and beyond for two wellness visits and continues to charge my account! By the time your year ends the cost is outrageous! Don't get this plan!!!!! Buyer BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I adopted a dog from Craigslist and, unfortunately, the previous owner was shoddy. He never got any papers to me and didn't contact me at all to see how she was doing or to answer my questions regarding her papers and vaccine record. Even worse, she ended up getting sick after just a few days. I took her to Banfield in Fort Collins and was unimpressed with the staff. None of them seemed to give a damn about my pup, except for the fact that she wasn't spayed. When I asked about the cost of a spay procedure, they quoted more than $200. I told them that was not affordable for me and that we weren't even sure if we wanted to spay. Instead of being understanding, the staff member rudely commented that my dog wasn't a purebred and no one would want a puppy from her anyway.

Sadly, with the checkup and medicine, the cost for the visit was well over what I had, as I was waiting for my paycheck which would be in the next day. The BRILLIANT employee decides to tell me that if I sign up for a wellness plan, the cost would be significantly less, nothing would be charged that day, and that I could pay for and pick up the medicine the next day after my pay was in. I was told I could cancel at any time and that it would be $25 a month (rounded). It just seemed to make sense. Yes, I was stupid and in hindsight, I should have just waited until I got paid and went to another vet, but my pup was sick and I wanted her to get better as soon as possible. So much for the $25 charge, I was getting $50 charges on my card, until my account was closed when I lost my job. Now they can't get their money and they keep calling me.

After reading all the reviews, I honestly don't want to give them more money. Between charging outrageous prices for services and continually charging for pets that are deceased or are not even being trusted to them anymore, I'd say they've screwed enough people. Seems to me like it's time for the people to screw them! I personally feel like they prey on owners who care deeply for their pets by quoting high retail costs and then using that as a means to get people to sign up for wellness plans. They treat you like you're the scum of the earth, until you fall for their charade and, in my case, even after, if you decline their 'caring' advice (i.e. pay $100+ extra for a spay procedure that was well done by a local vet for $97, including pain meds).

If you ask me, the wellness plan was based on the idea that they could charge annually for services that don't even cost them that price to offer. How many people REALLY make full use of the plan, except annual check up, shots, emergencies? So you either pay ridiculous fees for the services you DO use, or you pay a seemingly less ridiculous fee for services you don't fully use. The fact that they can discount everything with the wellness plan should show how much they overcharge in the first place. Also, Mike from FoCo, how do I get in touch with you?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

I have been a vet tech with Banfield for six years. It began as my dream job. Decent hours, a wonderful Chief of Staff and happy co-workers. I had always dreamed of helping and working with animals, and was finally given the chance because of a doctor who cared enough to take the time to teach me while I was going to back to school to study veterinary technology. Then we were taken over, by all things, a giant candy corporation. This made perfect sense of course - making chocolate and caring for pets is obviously a natural transition. That is when it began a rapid downhill slide toward the changing of priorities to the all-mighty dollar in place of pet care.

Reduced to skeleton staffing while more than doubling clientele and procedures, eliminating benefits, extending hours and hiring veterinarians who are so incompetent, they pose a constant danger to the pets. When specific, potentially harmful, practices were brought to several managers' attention, they were never addressed. Mainly because our profits were now so very wonderful, they didn't want to interfere. Hooray for them! How impressive. Unfortunately, I am not in a position where I can just walk out, but as soon as I'm able, I am gone. I don't even take my own pets there, regardless of the discount. Please find another animal hospital for your beloved pets.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2013

I have read numerous complaints about Banfield, unfortunately, after I took my dog in. Their responses on the BBB are all copied and pasted but I can see now why they have so many complaints on the BBB. They have a total of 597 that have been filed not to mention the hundreds of other complaints issued on other social media. I took my old dog in because he was bleeding from his rear end and had blood in his stool. I thought his time had come and took him in to see if there was something internally wrong with him. They had me drop him off and said they would call me once they had time to check him out.

Several hours later, I get a call and all they focused on was a skin condition and his ears pushing me to sign up for their preventative care program for only $37.00 a month. I asked them what about the blood coming out of his rear? Is he dying and if this is serious there is no reason to do some "preventative care" program. She said, "Well, that is a separate issue." It was the ONLY issue I brought him in for. However if I sign up for the preventative care program, they would run a blood test to see what is wrong with him, treat all his conditions and clean his teeth for $700. I could not afford that and told them so. They said well then they would give me a deal and if I sign up for the program they would treat his conditions for $189.00 plus 15% off prescriptions. I told them just do the blood test so we know if the dog is on his last leg or not. They said well, the blood test would be another separate issue at $160. I guess separate issue means that it is not covered under their program they are trying to get you to sign up for.

They call back after they do the blood test and again push me to sign up for the $37 a month plan. He has an intestinal infection which with antibiotics is treatable, but she adds he also has a skin condition and an ear infection - I asked about his eye which is troublesome and again she tells me that is a separate issue. I asked her how much of these issues are "flea related" and she said most of them are more than likely caused by fleas. Which BTW I have been battling all year and spent over $400 on flea products to no avail. We have zombie fleas this year with no hard freezes in the last 2 years. They are terrible and nearly impossible to combat. She says, "Well, that again is a separate issue." I asked how can it be a separate issue and not covered under their preventative care program with treating the fleas is surely preventative measure? Well, it just is not.

She never tells me until I get there that this preventative care program means that you must allow them access to your bank account and they will automatically withdraw from your account monthly. I refuse to sign up for it at that point for the Program only seems to cover dental cleaning and very menial care and leads to huge vet bills in the process. So she tells me well, since I am not becoming a member then I will have to wait until the vet has a chance to rewrite my bill for more. What a scam. I will never use them again and hope that consumers do the research and read the hundreds of complaints against them before taking their animals to the Banfield Pet Hospital.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2013

My animal went in for her comprehensive check up and when I picked her up in that evening I asked about Trifexis. Their price is $20 more than what I can get it online for. Then they told me that they have a contract with Trifexis and that all the online companies are selling it illegally, and they refused to give me her prescription so I could get it somewhere else. I found out that they make a commission from everything they sell. They also will not answer request for a prescription from other companies. Is this legal? And they withhold my dog's prescriptions from me.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

I wish to start a war with Banfield Pet Hospital and Mars Inc. that owns them. These people are ripping off America and it's time those of you who feel the same way to email me and we can discuss ideas on how to hurt this company. Any marketing strategies, protests, or other ideas are welcome. Let's stop them. Let's hurt their bottom line. Banfield knows there are a million complaints out there on them and they are doing everything to hide those facts for as long as the gig will last. Times up!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

I took my dog in for an ear infection. His ear had gone from mildly irritated to extremely infected in just a week, so I knew he needed some aggressive treatment. The staff took him in a back room to examine him, so I'm not able to say how thorough or appropriate the exam really was. They said they took a swab, and had the swab in their hand when they brought him back. The vet, who apparently JUST graduated in 2013, decided not to run the swab since she was giving him oral antibiotics, and those "should" take care of whatever it is. They didn't.

A week later (I actually only waited 5 days because I wasn't going to make him wait longer), his ear was HORRIBLE (see picture). I took him back in, was charged for a follow-up visit, and was told they were going to do a swab and send it out to be cultured. "How long will this take?" I asked. "About a week," was the reply. I about came unglued right there. So you mean to tell me that if they had just run the swab they collected LAST week, we would have results by now and would know what exactly is causing his infection?

At one point I was told the reason the swab wasn't run before was because they try to go the more affordable route (it's $165), and then later she said they didn't run it because it wasn't collected properly due to how bad his ear was (but his ear is the same today and you can collect it properly today? Yeah, okay). So now he is put on Prednisone (which should have also been done last week), but he has to wait 3 days to start it because he has to stop taking the previous anti-inflammatory medicine he was given, and now we have to wait an additional week for culture results, and they want me to bring him in AGAIN next week.

While all this is happening, I'm getting hard sales pitches from the staff about their wellness plans, at both visits. At this last visit, while my dog was in the back, he started barking, and I heard one of the staff yell, "Knock it off"... I don't know if it was directed at my dog, or one of the other animals in there, but either way, that's not appropriate.

I feel like the vet was completely out of line due to her lack of experience. My dog's ear should have had a swab done at the initial appointment, and should have been put on Prednisone at that first appointment in addition to the oral antibiotics. I should have also been informed that my dog could be given diphenhydramine to help him sleep better and to help with the itching, but I found that out when I contacted a different vet to discuss transferring his care to someone else.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2013

The vet was supposed to give my 18-lb. poodle 5 mg of Prednisone for her seasonal allergies, but she hit the wrong button (her story) and gave her 20 mg. The poor dog was a mess and could not control her bladder, walk straight and was zoned out for 10 days. I re-read the instructions on the meds and it said she might be hyper and urinate a lot. When I took her back for a follow up, the veterinarian apologized for her mistake, made a big display of her regrets, but that did not do much for the dog.This dog has a lot of social problems and does not trust anyone. She is shy around people and hides behind me when anyone approaches her. There have been multiple mistakes in the three years I have had a wellness contract with Banfield, but this was the final straw. I am done!! I cancelled my contract for both my dogs with Banfield Pet Hospital, but of course they would not give me any sort of refund on the remaining time on the contract. I now have a new vet.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2013

I've had a very bad experience at their Okemos, MI locations. I brought my cat Binks in because she had what appeared to be a cold. She was diagnosed with pneumonia. She is an older cat and I know she may not have much more life to live but I wanted to get her treated for her immediate condition and not much else. The staff was very friendly and informed me that due to some of the symptoms we described she could have kidney disease and to have the testing on it done, there would be an additional 127.00.

At that point the staff talked to us about the preventative care plan. We compared the difference in cost and I decided that I might like to go with it. We found out that her BuN and creatinine levels were high and were indicative of kidney disease. The doctor recommended fluid therapy and to retest to see what prognosis would be. I asked her what my cost was going to be because I had to have the money transferred from my moms account. Upon checkout I decided against the yearly preventative plan since we weren't sure how long Binks was going to live. When I brought Binks back on the 2nd day for treatment her paw had swelled up twice the size of the other. There was an abscess on her neck that needed to be drained. I told the receptionist that I wanted to see the doctor before anything happened.

I waited there for 40 minutes and the staff had already pulled the catheter and were starting a new one. The Doctor came out and said “Oh my, I didn't know you were waiting here.” I told her that I had some concerns. When I told her about the abscess, she said she noted it but it's nowhere on the paperwork. (I have the paperwork) She said it was going to cost an additional amount for the IV and the total additional cost for therapy and blood test was going to be 170. I had already paid 220 plus 180.

The Coban on her leg was way too tight and was cutting off her circulation, I suspected that is why her foot was so swollen and why she needed another cath. Her original quote was 180 for the two treatments but because of the change of plan, the price nearly doubled. She said that there was no way to remove the price of the cath. I told her I only budgeted an additional 50.00 for her treatment and if they could not provide service for that amount we would have to take Binks back home and take business elsewhere. She gave me Binks and our paperwork. There were several examples of negligence that occurred in this situation.

I felt taken advantage of with no other option but to walk away even though I need some additional medical care for Binks. I don't expect any compensation for anything. I'm only writing this to find out whether this is standard procedure and to expect this at any other Banfield office. If so, I will not be returning to any Banfield clinics. As well, my friends, colleagues and family will hear about my story. I was attracted to this clinic because I thought I would find reasonable prices and responsible care. Instead, I found that the care was well below standard. The staff was incompetent. Because of my concern for the swollen limb, I was very specific when I brought Binks back. I needed to speak to the doctor before she was treated and was reliant that was understood. I was required to wait 40 minutes before someone "realized" I was there waiting.

The staff had already started to treat her and were in the process of inserting a new catheter. I run a small business and it's not hard for me to realize I've made a mistake and compensate the customer. Even when it's a delivery issue and not my fault. I have a responsibility to help that customer have a positive experience. Sometimes it costs me money out of pocket to make the customer happy. However I'm safe in the knowledge that people who do business with me will not have to worry about feeling ripped off. My business has been very successful this way. I can only hope to inspire other businesses to do the same. Banfield is a sorry excuse for existence. I wish I had read other reviews before taking my pet there. I have committed animal abuse and owe my pet an apology.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2013

If anyone has any interest in their pet I would highly recommend staying away from any Banfield location. All they do is lie to you to get your money!!! I had the unfortunate experience of having my Golden Retriever (Sahara) get defensive about a bone with my Fiance's Toy Yorkie (Roxie). After Sahara nipped at Roxie we noticed that Roxie's eye was out of her socket. So we rushed her to Banfield because I used to take Sahara there and that was the closest vet we could think of. This was the biggest mistake I made. When we got there it took 2 hours before they told us what could be done, then they lied saying they would be able to stick the eye back in the socket. That there may be complications down the road where it may need to be removed in time if it doesn't heal properly. That this would only cost $1,400 for the operation.

Well the 2nd biggest mistake was asking them to proceed with the procedure. They told us that we can go home and they would give us a call when it was all said and done. Well we got a call in about an hour and they said everything looks good to come there and pick up Roxie. Which is one big lie!!! So we get there and they tell us, "Sorry we couldn't put the eye in but you still owe us $900, and we recommend taking it to an emergency 24/7 vet. Yes, you'll have to pay them as well." When I complained that I should have to pay for a procedure that wasn't done as promised they held Roxie hostage and wouldn't give her to us until we did. We had no choice since we needed to get her to the real Vet as soon as possible.

Blue Pearl where we took her to had her in right away and called us no later than 30 minutes and said the procedure went perfect and it only took her 10 minutes to do the operation. That her eye is responding to light and has movement and should heal great with maybe a little loss in vision. Yet Banfield couldn't do anything in almost 3-4 hours???? Again I repeat stay away from Banfield if you value your pets life!!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2013

Don't take your pet to these vets! I took my 13-year-old domestic Shorthair male cat to the Banfield in Peoria, AZ because he had a loose front tooth - it was sticking out over his upper lip. They recommended an extraction and dental cleaning. I could not afford the procedure, so they suggested their "wellness plan" to bring the cost down to something I could afford right away. They told me it was urgent to get him in right away so they "fit him into their schedule" the next day. Of course when they had him under anesthesia, they called to tell me he needed two more teeth extracted at the cost of another $150. The original tooth fell out on the table, but I was still charged for that extraction.

Four days after surgery, my cat blew up like a balloon. I took him back thinking he had a dental infection but the vet said he had air under his skin, generally caused by trauma. My cat is an indoor cat and lives in my master bedroom. The only trauma he suffered was the dental surgery. They wanted another $600+ to try to diagnose the problem. I did not have the money and suggested sadly that he be put down as he was suffering. They did not want to do that and sent me home with antibiotics (another $28). I brought him back a couple of days later as he had blown up to 3x his size and crackled when I petted him. He was not eating, drinking or using his litterbox. I had looked this up and found out it was subcutaneous emphysema, and my thought was that they punctured his trachea during intubation during surgery.

When I brought him back again, I suggested this and they said they doubted it happened then as the intubation tubes are small and flexible. They sent me home again, saying without more tests there was nothing they could do for him. I wrote a scathing survey on Banfield.com and two hours later got a call from the local hospital, saying they "wanted to do right by my pet", said this could have happened during surgery and offered an outside surgical consult. I went to the consult and the outside surgeon said "very likely" they tore his trachea during surgery.

It took a WEEK for me to get a call back from the vet surgeon who did this to my cat (she said she thought someone else had called me). I have called the Client Advocate department and have a case number, but still no one has called me about this and it has been over a week already. I talked to the surgeon today and she apologized for not calling me sooner, but NEVER apologized for what she did to my pet. Each time I took my cat in, they told me they had never seen this condition before. She said this was not negligence, not malpractice but an unexpected complication of the surgery. Really? My cat went in for a TOOTH EXTRACTION! Thankfully he is slowly recovering. After his trachea finally healed, the air is being reabsorbed into his system.

I reversed the charges on my credit card and am going to be like a fly on crap until they respond to me. You will see this review on every consumer website I can find. If they think I am paying for that wellness plan they can think again.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information