Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2014

We brought our dog to get neutered at Banfield Pet Hospital in Rockaway, NJ. After the surgery we noticed the stitches were coming loose and took him in again as an emergency the following morning. The vet stapled the part that was open and we went home only for the same thing in a different spot to happen again. When we brought our puppy back, we were told he needed a second surgery to correct the first one and that we would have to pay for the entire thing. After the second surgery, a day later same thing happened again. When we brought him back the fourth time we were told we needed a THIRD surgery to correct the stitching. At this point we took him to another vet who successfully redid the stitching and it was only then that our puppy began to heal. In addition, the new vet noticed the wound had become severely infected with Pseudomonas.

After researching that specific bacteria I discovered that the most common cause is from unsanitary medical devices. Banfield was suppose to also retrieve our puppy's second testicle that had not dropped and claimed that it couldn't be found. Their suggestion was to wait until after he healed, do an ultrasound which we would have to pay for and if they found it, perform another surgery. The new vet told us he had no problem finding the second testicle and that it was hard to miss. After our experiences we tried countless times to try and cancel our wellness plan we have started for our puppy and also a plan we started for our second puppy. The second puppy had only gone for one visit to Banfield and during that visit, we complained that she had a foul odor coming from her and she had severe diarrhea. We were told this was normal for a puppy especially if they were getting used to food.

We also took our second puppy to the new vet where a parasite that had been missed by Banfield was discovered. We were told that it was Giardia and without treatment, she could have died, especially since she was already underweight, most likely due to the parasite. After all of our trouble, we had been charged well over $1000 extra and now they are refusing to cancel our plans. Banfield also continues to bill us for services they claim still need to be paid for that were not covered by our plan since we put a stop payment on our account through the bank.

We will not be paying them a dollar more. Both of our pets were mistreated, suffered and we could have lost one or both due to their negligence. We have recently received a final notice warning that our account is going to be sent to collections. We have contacted multiple managers and supervisors only to be told that their decision to still hold us responsible for those charges and not cancel our plans is final and nothing can be done. Banfield seemingly could care less about the care of pets and are only concerned with charging the maximum they can get out of you no matter what the circumstances. They put our family and our pets through a lot of suffering and we tried many times to resolve this. They still refuse and we will now be seeking legal action to prevent my husband's credit from being ruined.

Original review: May 31, 2014

Our dog was on enrolled in the Optimum Wellness Plan through Feb 2014. We did not renew the plan because of a particular experience that we had. In November 2013, while we were still enrolled in the plan, our dog Buddy had an accident where he injured his legs. This happened on a Sunday. When my husband took Buddy to Banfield, the receptionist said that they could not see pets in emergency situations and to take him to the local emergency animal hospital. Funny, because the sign behind the desk says that animals with emergencies would be seen first. She also said that there was only one vet working that day so he would not be able to see him.

When we signed up for this plan, we were sold a bill of goods that our pet would receive VIP treatment there in addition to receiving discounts on services. Well, that didn't happen. We had to go to another hospital where we had to pay a hefty office visit that we supposedly would not have had to pay under the plan as well as a lot for X-rays. The Emergency hospital did little more than what Banfield could have done & we spent well over $700 in the process. I will not recommend this plan or hospital because of this.

Original review: May 31, 2014

Stay away from Banfield!! They caused my cat Calvin to suffer and die sooner than he should of due to their complete misdiagnosis of him. The fluids I was prescribed to give him at home only made his condition worse and now I have to forever live with the fact that I made him suffer more due to their malpractice. When I submitted a complaint, NO ONE from Corporate HQ had the decency to even respond which is despicable! Instead the Dr. who misdiagnosed him has contacted me 3 times since then to "discuss things". There is nothing to discuss except her termination. He went to the Banfield in Woodbridge VA and was seen by Dr. **.

My cat Calvin was 18 years old and not eating so I took him to the Banfield in Woodbridge VA on May 6 2014. He was seen by Dr. ** who provided him care after that. She did blood work and told me his kidney values were elevated but she did not say how high or how serious it was. She specifically told me he was not cancerous after the blood work. I proceeded to give him fluids at home every other day. He completely stopped eating so I took him back on May 12 and they tried to put an IV in him but failed saying he kept going into respiratory failure and was turning purple. They sent me home with prescription wet food and I fed him via a syringe.

On May 26 I noticed he was severely retaining fluids and was having difficulty breathing (he was breathing heavily before but it was not a concern to Dr. **). On May 28 he had still not urinated and was not moving so I took him to the Woodbridge Animal hospital. They called Banfield TWICE to obtain Calvin's lab work and Dr. notes but Banfield said they never had me as a customer. I had to personally call Banfield and have Calvin's paperwork sent. Highly suspicious behavior as I was there multiple times in the past few weeks, perhaps they were trying to protect themselves rather than help my dying cat.

Woodbridge Animal Hospital did blood work and took an X-ray and the vet there informed me he was not in kidney failure, and that his kidney values were within the normal range. Instead they found a large mass in his chest. They drained the fluids from his chest and took another X-ray where the mass was confirmed and they believed it to be cancer. They tried to get him to breathe normally on his own but he went into respiratory failure again and I rushed there right before he died.

I find the inadequacies and incompetency in Banfield and in Dr. ** to be COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. My pet died because of complete failure from Dr. ** in diagnosing him properly. While he may have already been terminally ill, the fluids I was giving him made his condition even worse and were suffocating him, therefore he died sooner than he should have. If he had been diagnosed properly, I could have more time with my precious friend and he would have suffered far less. I will NEVER use Banfield again and I will advise everyone I know not to either. I lost my best friend and wasted $800 on a wrong diagnosis due to their malpractice and complete incompetence. I demand action be taken by this corporation for this injustice or I will pursue further legal action.

Original review: May 24, 2014

I took my daughter's cat there on May 13. They told us she had a tooth infection and that the tooth needed to be removed. Took her the next week to have it removed by our family vet where he was amazed to see that she had serious mouth cancer. They at Banfield, never opened her mouth. And they are not wanting to refund her money. Our vet said this was a case of malpractice. It was unmistakable.

Original review: May 24, 2014

My pup Leaped out of a moving vehicle, passenger side, causing a Distal Femoral Epiphyseal Fracture on the second day of the month. Taken him to Banfield (Petsmart) on the Third. Dr. had X-rayed and wrapped, below the break and also not noticing his hip. Causing more weight on the leg, without splinting, which I feel would have set the bone more and a $512.00 cost. Mentioned to have surgery. Still not noticing the hip. Took him back in on 19th, changed wrap costing another $200. Second option from other Veterinarian clinics, costing another $100.00. Both come Referred Very skilled. Say the wrong wrap and Length of time pass. From not having splint on the leg and growth plate grows fast. Now to see what happens, but More than likely AMPUTATION is the only cure. After not having a Dog for seven years, because of city park with gopher bait, causing loss of 8-yr-old dog. Thanks BANFIELD, I should have Looked here First.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: May 21, 2014

I had Banfield Wellness Plan which renewed every November and for which I had a charge taken off my credit card each month. On Dec. 15, 2013, my dog had to be put down. I called to cancel the Wellness Plan and was told I had to pay the whole year of payments, another 11 payments. I was angry, argued and they said as a customer courtesy they would only charge me 6 months and the last payment would be April 2014. Then today I see ANOTHER payment was taken out on May 20! I called and they told me I was told in December that there would be 6 MORE payments. I was very angry, argued that they can't change their story and that's not what I was told on the phone in December. I wish I had gotten it in writing, which of course wasn't going to happen! I spoke with a Supervisor who said I was mistaken and yes I had to pay an additional 6 months! I told her I was reporting this to the NYS Insurance Frauds Bureau (which I am doing now) and said they must be really hard up to demand this one extra payment, and I hung up. They really get you by like telling you your dog needs 2 physical appointments a year. I have a new dog now and go to a private Vet who told me she only needs once a year. So I have really been taken for a ride for 9 years!

Original review: May 16, 2014

I, in November 2013, became behind in my payments. I asked for assistance to get it caught up, they said it was not their policy to help people to get caught up. After that, I refused to answer or return their calls. I kept making payments and as of next week 5/19/2014, it will be paid off in full. Now that is paid off, none of my 3 cats can finish using their wellness plan as they canceled them... But they took the money. I won't ever go back to them but I will miss my two favorite vets. I guess I really am disappointed that I was trying to pay it but was treated by the most ruthless and rude people. At this point, all I want is their accounts reinstated so I can use the program and then call it quits after it runs out.

Original review: May 13, 2014

We took our puppy to the Banfield Pet hospital in Pinole, CA. The first thing out of their mouths was what wellness plan I should sign up for. That should have been a flag. They should have asked why were we there or what reason we are there. We told them about the deworming and they were still trying to push the wellness plan because it would take several office visits and the costs. So after we set the appointment, they checked out the puppy and said a deworming was needed. I also asked what is the best for fleas without using powder or flea collars. I also asked about the product advantage. The quack there, I will not call them doctors, discouraged anything but what they sold. They pushed Trifrexis 5, that would have been fine in normal circumstances but you are not supposed to give this to puppies younger than 8 weeks old.

We were not given consultation on it and they knew the puppy was 6 weeks old. We were not given any consultation of the effects of the deworming medication either. As far as Petsmart, we had the puppy with us and they sold us products regardless of the age of the puppy. Our puppy had severe affects due to the Triyfrexis 5 and his age. Summary of our experience with Petsmart and Banfield Pet Hospital... All they care is about selling their products. They could care less about the customer. I will never ever shop there again and will discourage family and friends from shopping there.

Original review: May 9, 2014

I am writing to inform you of my experience at your location at 2851 Eastland Center Drive West Covina, CA; 91791 Phone Number (626) 732-2852. I'm the owner of two dogs a Bichon Frise, Coco, and a Morkie, Honey. On November 3, 2013, I joined to Banfield Pet wellness plan for both of my dogs. The charge of my credit card was for $192.84. Since this date I have been making the monthly payments of $79.90 all charged on my credit card every 5th or 6th of the month. My dogs got vaccinated, and they got the dental cleaning that comes with the plan.

On April 18, 2014 at: 2: 27 p.m. I personally brought Honey for a medical consultation because she had not eaten for two days and had vomited once a little bit of green. After waiting about ten minutes, we were called into an examination room, waited another ten minutes. Then a tech came in, took her temperature. After that Veterinarian ** examined her, ordered some blood tests, together with abdomen X-rays and she recommended fluid therapy because apparently Honey was dehydrated. The cost was $374.23 But on my credit card they charged me an additional amount of $11.05

At about 5:00 p.m., I received a call asking me to go immediately because Vet. ** needs to talk to me to authorize more proceedings. It took me about ten minutes to arrive and Vet. ** told me that they have not found what was wrong with my dog, That it could be anything from diabetes to infections, intoxication, or that she has eaten something or other. She could not give me an exact diagnostic. She told me Honey was dehydrated and she prescribed fluid therapy. That was at 5:10 pm. She also said that the abdominal was a little bit abnormal, the liver looks to small, but that there was nothing obstructive. She told me that I had to leave her and to pick her up before 8:00 pm and to take her to another hospital as an emergency because she might need insulin, antibiotics or therapy fluid administered overnight.

I refused to take her to another hospital. Then she says I could take her back next morning for a follow up. She told me that she could not give her any medicine because she did not know exactly what was definitively wrong with her. I just got a can of food for her. She told me she have received the fluid therapy and that it was going to be subtracted from my bill, but the fluid catheter was inserted on Honey overnight for no reason whatsoever. She only mentions they will administer the fluids the next day.

At 7:48 p.m., I arrived to pick up Honey. Both two young girls were ready to go and they had her over the counter shaking. When I asked what's wrong with her, one of the girls told me that probably she was in shock. Honey couldn't walk - I have to carry. I asked what kind of medicine she received to be like she has been sedated and the answer was, "We didn't give her anything." I asked about the antibiotics and she said, "We didn't give her any medicine today." I asked the girl who is in charge of the billing about the decrease on my bill because Honey didn't receive the fluid therapy. She said vet. ** didn't mention anything so she couldn't do anything about it. I have to call her on Tuesday when she come back to work.

Next day, April 19, about 12:00 p.m., I brought her again for a follow up. Dr. ** saw her, and after making review of Vet ** Notes, he explained me Honey probably need hospitalization, that she probably had diabetes and they need to be hospitalized and in observation. I left Honey with him to pick her up at 8:00 pm. He never told me anything else. When I went to pick her up again, he said he has been calling me to authorize the insulin treatment, and that he could not reach me for an authorization. He said that I needed to take her again to an emergency facility because they do not have overnight service. I refused again because he wanted me to get her Insulin because they both, Vet. ** and him, believed she was suffering of diabetes and for this reason she wasn't eating and her organs could collapse if left untreated. He mention that Honey received Fluid therapy. He told me to bring her back on Tuesday. I asked again about what kind of antibiotics she got and he also told me she didn't received any, because they both agree she was diabetic. For this visit, it was another charge for $105.78.

I was feeding by mouth and administering Pedialyte to my dog, every hour but she was not doing well. I noticed she has a whistle on her chest and was lethargic, so on Monday, April 21, 2013, I decided to go instead to another pet hospital: North Figueroa Animal Hospital located at 5550 North Figueroa Street Los Angeles, CA. 90042 (323) 258-8068. The Veterinarian there asked for the records and the copy of the x-results. Your hospital faxed the results after the veterinarian asked because when I called the receptionist said she was busy but not the x-rays and they will cost me five dollars, each copy of the X-rays, and that I needed to pick them up at the hospital. So I picked them up at night but It was an overwhelming time.

I guess the worst part is that it seems like you are really more concerned about making money than a good relationship with your customers, or keeping our pet healthy. First, the front desk girl told me that I need to pay $4.99 for each picture on the X-rays result. I was so upset I claimed that I have the right to have them since I had paid for them. The girl went to the back office and another lady came explaining that it was very expensive to make a CD with the pictures of the X-rays. What a ridiculous explanation. Finally the first girl gave me all the records with the CD included without any charge. The results shocked me because the blood test shows the glucose level on Honey's blood was normal so there is no way she was suffering of diabetes. You can verified this on page No.4 of the Medical summary report. At the same time Honey's Urine Occult blood was positive and Urine Bacteria was positive which means she was suffering of a bacterial infection.

There are some notes that Vet ** wrote that are not true because they never were discussed with me. For example: she wrote explained Azotemia possible due dehydration and ketones due starvation. At the same there is a note in saying gave 120 mg of Cefalozin IV slow (Cefazolin is used in both dogs and cats to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including skin infections, wound infections, bone infections, pneumonia and bladder infections). Why is this discrepancy when I was told that they didn't give any antibiotics at all the first day and the second day my dog only received fluid therapy and why there were not follow up until next Tuesday if you as Vet. Know my dog has a bacterial infection? Why you didn't discuss this with me when you always told me that she could be sick of diabetes or anything but why, you only were interested in giving her diabetes treatment? It's because I refused to pay for that treatment or what? I paid $480.01 for giving me a wrong diagnostic and almost kill my dog for no proper care!!!!

Veterinarian ** at North Figueroa Animal Hospital ordered another blood test to verified his diagnostics because he wanted to know what kind of treatment she received for the last days. On Tuesday, April 22, I went back to the North Figueroa and they did another blood test and it came with abnormalities with serious urine, hormonal and chest problems. She was given four medications and antibiotics. She could have renal failure problems because she has not had proper attention. Fortunately the glucose level were normal as the first blood test performed on your hospital, basically Diabetes was never an issue on Honey sickness.

Honey received Injection with antibiotics and real fluid therapy because I was present when it was administered directly on her neck. She also was given Amoxicillin 100 mg tablets for 10 days Twice, Temaril P Tablets half tablets for 7 days, Thyro-Tabs 0.1 mg for 30 days and RENAVAST to help promote healthy kidney on Honey. Everything with a total of $272.00.

I am extremely grateful/thankful with North Figueroa Animal Hospital and Beach and their team but beyond disappointed with the way the whole ordeal was handle by your hospital and your team. My expectations were always that my two dogs would receive proper care, yet I almost lost my dog do to your unacceptable and neglected care. I am not asking for monetary compensation. Yet I am requesting any and all my obligation with your facility stop. I no longer want to participate in your program. I am requesting the definite termination of my care plan with your company. My other dog had a appointment for April 29, for his annual check which obviously after this unpleasant and expensive experience I will not take my dogs back never again. Unfortunately I just found out the reviews of your customers and I am really agree with the one who said, "I wish I could expose Banfield to the government, so other people do not get hurt, and their animals get proper care when needed." I could add there is always time to do that. With no more ado, I am soliciting a prompt response to my request.

Original review: May 8, 2014

My Cat was licking her fur off her body, no lesions, no scabs, just excessive grooming. At first look the Vet told me I needed the wellness plan otherwise it was going to cost me a fortune. She made me think the plan would cover all the testing, it did not. Long story short, 4 months of testing over $500 plus I purchased the monthly plan. The Vet, Dr. **, who was recommended to me and sold me the plan, quit a week later, and that was the only reason I joined. They would not let me out of the contract. Furthermore all the tests were negative, which I knew. I had told them 4 months ago that I thought it was allergies, now $500 they agreed and ordered me a prescription of Atopica for $112, and told me it would last a month, and that she would be on it for life. I went online and found the exact same name brand same size bottle on 1-800-Pet-Meds for $44.00. I am going through personal bankruptcy, told them this at the time, and this was a feral cat that I rescued. I just want to scream!!!!!! DO NOT USE BANFIELD. I don't event think they are real vets. They do not know what they are doing and are just looking to bilk you based on personal attachment to your pet......PLEASE.... BEWARE!!!!!

Original review: May 6, 2014

I enrolled in the dog plan at $25/month. The second visit, my dog needed antibiotics and eye drops for an infection. I was told the antibiotics were $38. I asked if that included the 10% off. The tech said yes. He added, "That's the lowest price anywhere." The drops were even more costly, over $40. When the tech left, I called my local Kroger pharmacy to see what they charged. The answer: $4 for the antibiotics and $4 for the drops! When I told the tech I wanted written prescriptions, and not to buy from Banfield, he was miffed and rude. I had to wait an extra 30 minutes while he "conversed" with the vet, who never came back into the room. Finally, the vet arrived with the 2 prescriptions. I wish I'd never signed up for such a plan. Everything is extra and overpriced.

Original review: May 1, 2014

I recently had to put my dog to sleep. Well actually my daughter took my dog into Banfield to put it to sleep. I just couldn't do it. Anyway, she brought my dog in, and they told her how much. Then she paid for their services. 30 days later I get a call from a collection agency saying I owe Banfield $122.00 for the service. I called Banfield and they said they didn't charge me correctly and I still owe $122.00. Banfield never sent me a bill which they admitted to, but they would never say they made a mistake.

I told the collection agency the situation and they told me I needed to contact Banfield (Corporate Office) about the problem, which I did. The corporate office said they couldn't tell me anything and I would need to talk to the store. Alright, it's been another month and still getting the run around. I will pay the amount but I want them to admit that they made 2 mistakes: 1. didn't even bother to send a bill; and 2. sending me to a credit collection company when I didn't even know I still owed money. What should I do? Should I get a lawyer?

Original review: April 30, 2014

I live in Henderson, Nevada and took my 1-year-old Pug to Banfield for the past year. They would praise me on how healthy he was and looked. He is not overweight. I keep him under 21 pounds. Until a few weeks ago Banfield did an annual check-up. One of the Vets called me back saying my pug is not retaining protein and need to come back immediately for more testing. They wanted another $150 for blood work. I could tell in the Vet voice this was a beginning of a long and expensive process. I went ahead and scheduled another testing with Banfield for my pug. Then my daughter told me about Banfield complaints so I went online to read reviews and I'm disgusted.

I called Banfield back and told the Vet I needed to reschedule the testing and will call them back. I started researching Vet offices in my area and located Green Valley Vet Hospital with 5 stars and great reviews. I took the $150 I was going to give to Banfield to retest and paid the new vet hospital. This past Monday, April 27th, Green Valley hospital conducted an annual test to see what they came up with. The vet called me this morning, April 29th, with my pug's results. His test results were normal and my pug is healthy. What a rip off Banfield is... Taking advantage of people!!! I will be going to Banfield and canceling my monthly plan. Petsmart should disassociate themselves with Banfield... DO NOT SIGN UP FOR BANFIELD PET PLAN OR TAKE YOUR PET THERE... I really thought people were just making things up but I experience first hand...

Original review: April 30, 2014

On March 27, 2014, my husband, son and me went to the medical facility Banfield has at the PetSmart location at 14025 SW 88 Street, Miami, Florida 33186-3186, Phone # (305) 388-1480 with an injured pet dog named Max. He had a puncture on his back quarter legs inflicted by another house pet dog. The outside lesion was minimal but one of the blue-dressed man at the facility told us as a consequence of the bite his intestines were out. They said at first their facility was not properly equipped to perform surgery but that opinion changed several times. They said payment of $732.31 had to clear before giving us the dog to transport him to other facility.

After payment, they kept the dog for one more hour and bled internally. They argue the dog had to be stable before releasing for surgery. No treatment for about 4 or 5 hours until he died. When my husband and son went into the facility, blood was all over the floor, inside the cage and on the Lab coat of one of the attendants. A cruel and unusual punishment for a sweet little dog and his family. That facility should be close or all their personnel removed.

Original review: April 30, 2014

My name is Sean and I am writing to inform you of my experience at your location in Braintree, Massachusetts. On Friday April 25, 2014 at 5:30pm I brought my ten month old Siberian husky to see the vet for his 9 month routine heartworm test. We entered the building and my dog was acting as he normally does. He was hyper and excited. After waiting about thirty minutes we were called into a room and waited another ten minutes. From there a tech came in and took his temperature with which he struggled a bit, as I expect any dog would. Marissa, the tech, then took my dog Peter to the back room to draw blood. When he returned he was being dragged by the thin orange lead and not guided back by his own collar and leash. He was panting very hard and would not walk to the center of the room.

The vet then came in and performed his exam as much as he could. This was very unusual, as my dog has never shown disinterest in the vet. We left with deworming medicine and were on our way. At home Peter would not go out and became incontinent. He is fully housebroken and we figured he was just very stressed out from going to the vet. The following Saturday I was home all day and Peter spent the day lying on the couch. This was very unusual since my dog goes on five-mile runs three days a week and is a typical super crazy husky. I decided to leave him alone still thinking the vet was stressful. What became extraordinarily alarming was when I found out his neck was hurt.

Sunday morning when Peter woke up and went downstairs to ring the bells by the door I reached for his collar to put the leash on. He winced and cried in pain and urinated himself right in front of me. He was in pain and would not let my girlfriend or I go near him. Once he calmed down and went to lie on the couch we closely inspected him and also saw he had glass in his front right paw. Thursday night I put mushers cream on his paws and they were fine. Peter spent the whole weekend after leaving the vet at home, inside. We called Banfield in Braintree immediately and explained to them that he was hurt Friday and we needed to speak to someone. This was at 10:58am on Sunday morning. The receptionist, whose name I do not have, told us that it is impossible to reach a manager and that there was only an on call vet that day.

She also said that no glass is at Banfield. We were later told that there is some glass and even later told that no glass spill has been reported. This is one example of varying stories, thus creating our hesitancy and inability to trust the professional providers caring for our pet. Our entire experience was like this. It seemed everyone had something different to say and when we questioned them, they become very defensive and stopped interacting with us. This made everything very frustrating for us. Our goal was to go and get reassurance that our dog was ok, for someone to say sorry and help us. To our dismay none of these goals were met. The call ended and we called the VCA.

The VCA confirmed that we were right and that our dog's behavior following the vet was very abnormal. At 11:14am we received a call back and was told that the surgeon could see Peter in 30 minutes. We arrived in 30 minutes and a tech named Courtney took him out back. When she returned she said, "I know exactly what you are talking about. The glass is between his second and third pad, correct?" She then said the doctor was taking care of it and examining his neck. We were then called into a room and asked by the vet to remove his collar so he could examine his neck. We were shocked because we had just been told by the tech that the doctor examined his neck and that he was able to illicit pain on his left side.

We then wondered why he would not have taken the collar off or if he had even examined him out back. We were unable to remove his collar because the pain caused him to be very defensive. The Petsmart trainer was able to get the collar off without causing any bad behavior, unlike the vet. The vet then diagnosed Peter with neck issues and began telling us that it was an underlying issue that just happened to surface itself after his exam on Friday. The only possible underlying condition in the differential was IVDD, which is more common in older dogs and specific breeds and is not known to affect huskies. All the other differentials were related to trauma, ligament and muscle injury, which was the consensus of the VCA exam as well. The VCA believed IVDD was very unlikely.

In addition to telling us we were crazy to think Peter was hurt at Banfield, he said no glass was found, and that it was a lesion that they sanded down and he would need antibiotics. The vet said this lesion had been there a while; however, this was not noted on Peter’s exam on Friday. Also his temp was taken and told to us on Friday and was not documented. We were never offered antibiotics, told x-rays could not be done there and to our astonishment found that the vet documented us as refusing these options. Everyone there had no concern and could have cared less about helping us. This is insane. Especially since our dog showed signs of pain and behavior changes after being there on Friday.

The tech was then informed that the practice owner was on the phone. My girlfriend asked that she speak to him in the room. This was for good reason. More than once did staff have conflicting things to say to us and we were getting very uneasy with the differing stories. Also, all morning nobody wanted to talk to us, and we, at this point did not trust her to tell her boss the truth. It’s not hard to believe, seeing as we were told right off the bat that no sort of manager can be reached and that we could not be helped that day. The tech said, “No I don't have to do that for you” and hurriedly walked out the door. This instance is documented by Banfield in an extraordinarily misleading way and depicts us as threatening and hostile. Yes we were frustrated.

Our dog was brought to the vet and got hurt. We just wanted an apology and for some help and for our dog to be better. Mistakes happen. We have no clue what happens behind the doors of Banfield, but we trusted them and it was very disappointing to be treated the way we were. What is true in the documentation is my girlfriend rushing out the door nearly in tears talking about calling animal control. As I am writing this I am thinking of whom I can contact, licensing committees, veterinary schools, animal protection organizations, and so forth. This is how upset we are. My girlfriend then spoke on the phone with Dr. **. She thought he was clear, empathetic, and willing to help us get through this situation effectively. However we were told he would call us the next day and we never received a phone call.

Once the phone call ended the manager came in to speak with us and was very rude. She never gave us her name and talked in an authoritative tone. She said, “I’m not here to go over anything and your prescriptions are being made and you need to go to the VCA.” This is another instance where I am completely shocked as to how inaccurate it was documented. In her note she says she enters the room and the gentlemen swore at me. The note never says what would have made me curse and I sure hope that upper administration finds this strange. I did say this is ** after she said she is not here to go over anything. As I said that I stood up and said I need to leave. As I was leaving she began to yell down the hall at me as if she was kicking me out and I turned and said I was leaving you should have nothing else to say to me.

Her note fails to document everything in its entirety and is very misleading. At no time did she show any concern for my pet. My girlfriend was so upset that Banfield’s staff was saying our dog was a biter, but failed to mention this to us in any of our previous visits. She asked to see the notes. The manager started with our first visit, which showed he was perfectly friendly, but she needed to make a comment about how we chose to treat him. She has no license to give medical advice and should not have taken that time to criticize us. We spent just over a hundred dollars and our puppy got better in two days rather than their suggested nine hundred dollar treatment plan when we knew it was kennel cough. Finally, she got to his six-month visit and again there was no note of aggression or warning that our pet was dangerous.

I am disgusted that more than one staff member had the audacity to treat us like scum and tell us our dog is a monster when we were returning because he was hurt there. When my girlfriend asked for all the records to be printed out everyone who we had come in contact with us was out back and it took her 25 min. to print out the records. We were there for two and a half hours total and did not get to the VCA until 3pm. Poor dog couldn’t get any help until 3pm and his owners were treated very poorly after he was hurt there in the first place. It is possible that Peter getting hurt was a mistake, even though we saw how he was handled Friday, and we are normal considerate people that would have gladly taken an apology and prompt care and continued to be loyal customers.

Original review: April 28, 2014

I was completely railroaded into purchase of plan. I was never told about how you can't cancel until everything they did is covered with the payments. I never knew that because I trusted them. I thought it was an insurance policy that covered accidents and the discounts were offered as a bonus. It is so expensive. You pay a 60-dollar start up fee and 35 dollars a month. They run every test they can think of to charge you extra. One vet recommended I clean my dog's teeth who was one and half year old. I did finally after the vet called and said her liver count was slightly high and he couldn't do it. I gave up a shift at work, woke up early, and then had to go pick her up. Wanted to start the dog on liver pills. She was perfectly healthy. I then made an appt. with another vet at a different Banfield who did the job without a hitch. Her liver count was already down. So they totally rip off the consumer. I am disappointed. I have paid out of pocket each time I go in. So far I have paid $630.27 which doesn't include my monthly payments. Ridiculous!

Original review: April 25, 2014

I submitted a claim for test on my ten month old Cat who was throwing up. They won't pay, saying it was pre-existing. He threw up at 5 months old because I tried changing his food. I called Banfield/his vet to discuss this. They must have put it in note that he threw up from this. He was throwing up after insurance, all the time without changing food. Vet recommended tests. Now they are using the phone call and prior experience of the food changing incident as an excuse not to cover. My other cat needed her front teeth pulled as they were baby teeth that never came out. They denied for same reason, saying pre-existing because they were baby teeth. This also happened with Trupania. Seems to be the case with all claims. They charge me 38.00 a month for each cat.

Original review: April 25, 2014

We got a small dog that a family no longer wanted. The dog had the wellness plan already and the family gave us all of the medical records to go with our new family member. We had never been and our other pets have independent vets. When we took her in, I purchased a plan in our name and gave them the records so they could see it was the same dog. Right upfront, they explained the program and different levels and that you will need to pay the remainder of the contract for that year if your pet dies. So there are no surprises and I read the fine print. It is beneficial for us.

All of the vaccines are covered and office visits are free on the plan. They quickly get our dog in when needed and they call to make appts to keep her shots up to date. Our dog sees the same vet every visit and she knows our pet well from being a puppy before she was ours to currently. I have no major problems with this plan or the vets. They do push their flea tick product and other items but you can decline and they don't pester you. Overall I can't complain at all. Reading carefully and learning about the choices you can make and finding a quality vet is what will make this plan beneficial and free from frustration.

Original review: April 23, 2014

Our large dog was not feeling well, so we took her in to Banfield Hospital; she had a history of bladder stones, so we assumed they had moved to block her. (For a year, we had been paying almost $100 a month for a special diet that was supposed to dissolve the stones.) They made arrangements to take her into surgery the next day and remove the stones, after an x-ray showed her bladder nearly full of stones. We took in a sick dog and not very long after received a call from the vet...it was not bladder stones, it was a ruptured spleen with a possibly cancerous tumor. The vet was very compassionate and explained that she could do the surgery, but there was a high likelihood Biscuit would die on the table, or within a couple of days of surgery, and the surgery, even with insurance, could cost upwards of one or two thousand dollars.

We debated with breaking hearts and decided to let her go so she wouldn't have to suffer from the most probably unsuccessful surgery and recovery. We had paid for the insurance the day before, in anticipation that the problem was bladder stones. They were willing to reverse the charge for the insurance, since our dog was dead only the day after we purchased the policy. However, the bill was well over $500...why? No surgery was performed and this was in addition to the x-rays of the day before.

In my opinion, Banfield charges huge amounts of money for not such great service. Maybe it is just sour grapes, we've lost two dogs to unexpected illnesses after taking them to Banfield, but I'd get a second opinion before letting them put my dog to sleep if I had it to do over.

Original review: April 23, 2014

My cat Scottie was being treated at Banfield Pet Hospital, and he didn't make it. He died almost three weeks ago. Today I received a big advertisement from them that says "Long Live Scottie! Thank you for trusting us to care for Scottie." That is so cruel. They didn't even bother to make a note my cat died. And to choose the words "Long Live Scottie"? It's awful. Clerical oversight? No, it's typical of the entire experience we had there. Take your pet to a local veterinarian who will actually pay attention instead of this big box business.

Original review: April 22, 2014

My dog died before my end of contract and I had to pay for the next five (5) months which I thought was total baloney. It was hard enough going through the loss of a pet, but to be reminded of it monthly and not have your pet was something else. I think that if your pet dies, you should not have to pay for services that were not rendered. The animal is deceased. I think that is an awful way to do business. I have another dog now and go to Petco where the Vets go biweekly and you pay for the services, which are reasonable and if it ever becomes a bigger problem, I will take my dog to an affordable Vet in the area.

Original review: April 21, 2014

I started with Banfield 7 years ago when my pup was 9 weeks old, primarily using it for all recommended yearly shots/immunizations & 5yrs later upgraded to add dental cleaning for my beloved dog. My dog started having problems urinating. They diagnosed it as a UTI. I paid for the antibiotics they supplied but the symptoms never improved. Two visits, 2 weeks & $300.00 later they did x-rays (169.00) only to find over 17 stones. Upon making the most difficult choice to put her out of her misery, I called to cancel Banfield's coverage only to be told I must pay an additional 296.00 to cancel even in a case of death.

They ripped me off coming and going. It's not like I'm terminating to go with a private vet or the competition. My dog is gone! Why am I being penalized? The Banfield "vet" explained "these stones grew over time". Well they were the ones I trusted to care for her from the beginning. In the end, it was time that my Lola didn't have. Now in her absence all that's left is yet another bill from Banfield for her now grieving Mama to pay.

Original review: April 16, 2014

Overpaymnent for extra treatment not agreed to - We took Polly, our 8 month old Bichon Frise to them today for the "free" spaying operation on our one-year contract. I was told that there could be up to about $75 of extras for meds and a collar to keep her from biting her stitches. I signed it. My wife picked her up and had to pay $291 extra----for treatment of an "ear infection" etc.... These people are thieves!!

Original review: April 14, 2014

My complaint is with the plan itself and the corporate/billing offices, and not the vet. I enrolled my 8 week old puppy in the Banfield wellness plan until he died at 7. He never missed an appointment and I was upsold on many services there and their prices were much higher than the same services elsewhere. My big complaint with them stems from the billing department because once my dog died, I contacted them immediately, and was told that I had to pay for three more months of service even though my dog was dead because I had to meet my yearly deductible. However, I did not think to update my billing information with them when I got a new credit card a month after my pet died and I was no longer using their services.

I got a late notice and contacted their automated system to make my final three monthly payments so that I could be done with them once and for all. I entered my information via their system and it did not go through so I spoke with their live service person and paid upfront for the remaining three months. I then received my credit card statement and found that I had been double charged, once through the auto system and then through the live line. When I called in I was given the run around, and was told they only had record of one payment even though it showed up twice on my credit card. I called the bank to verify the double charges and I had definitely been double charged. I called Banfield back and they told me I had to go down to the bank to get a statement before they would take the double charge off since they did not have record of it.

Their system is flawed if they cannot find record of their charges. They were not helpful or accommodating and I could not get the problem resolved with them. The woman supervisor on the phone with me eventually hung up on me, and we obviously did not get to the bottom of it. I was already frustrated for having to pay for wellness services on a dead dog, but then to be double billed when I took a proactive approach demonstrated their completely inept business practices. I had to resort to filling a false charge with my bank to resolve what should have been a relatively easy problem. Had I not caught this and had my bank resolve this, Banfield would have easily scammed me out of another $100 dollars claiming they had no record of the double billing.

Original review: April 14, 2014

I took my cat in for simple antibiotics for a skin allergy and bladder infection and the charges were to be $330. But Banfield said if I sign up for the Wellness Plan, I would pay only $200. So I did. What happened next is outrageous. They ran 20 tests on my cat ranging from $30 to $90 which I never knew about, making sure that I was good and obligated to pay the entire $800 worth of services. But that "purse" was supposed to be SAVED in case of future emergencies!! Instead they spent it all in one day. Now they want me to pay $56 a month to pay off the $800. But the treatment was only $330 and I never ASKED for the other services!! My property is 7,000 SF and I pay home insurance of $58 a month. Their plan is just as expensive as my home insurance! I'm furious with Banfield and will never go there again.

Original review: April 10, 2014

I have been a member for over 12 years with several pets and recommended your program to many which in turned took out the wellness plans. I have never been so disappointed in a company in my life. Can you image going to the hospital and being told you would have to prepay for a med and then it takes several days to fill. They do advertise they are a animal hospital. Well, I have never been to a hospital that did not keep all meds in stock. My pets are my kids, are yours? Why would a company that is suppose to be in business to tend to our pets not hold product on the shelf? I'll tell you why. They could care less.

I pay $100 for a two weeks supply so is it too much to ask that you keep your word and be a pet hospital? When people like me post a review, why is too much to ask that someone in the corporate office contact them back and address the concerns? Why would you state you even care when this is not the case? I am going to cancel all my pets which we have four under the best wellness plan you offer at this time. Then I am going to call everyone I know and have recommended to do the same and they will. If you can continue to have such bad reviews, how long do you think it is going to take before you crumble? Maybe not this year but in the near future, it will happen. Someday you will wake and find your corporate job is no longer available because you went out of business for falling back on your word and not being a company that gives a rat's ** about their customers.

Original review: April 9, 2014

Took my cat on his first vet visit and signed up for the wellness plan. I needed him neutered. They scheduled an appointment for that and then suggested I declaw him at the same time. The surgery was scheduled for 7 days later. I realize this is a lot of my fault as well but I haven't owned a pet before and didn't realize the catastrophic damage caused by declawing a cat. Why would they not tell me the risk and inhumanity of it beforehand, I can't understand. I just assumed they had his best interest in mind. Now I'm left with this huge guilt from not trying other methods. I just trusted them to do what's best.

Original review: April 8, 2014

Don't waste your money on the wellness plans. I always wondered how much they save having you on their stupid plans, which really doesn't add up to much (if any) savings at all, considering they still KEEP YOU IN CONTRACT when your ANIMAL DIES. Yes, the death of your loved one isn't enough for them to terminate the plan. What a low-blow and a hurtful, shady way to do business. They won't ever get our business again after years of being account holders in great standing. Here's to several more months paying for a contract on our pet who died 2 weeks ago.

Original review: April 7, 2014

I've been going to Banfield for approx. 7 yrs (3 pets) and will go no longer! I finally cancelled my monthly "Wellness Plan" today which came at a fee of $130.00. I knew the cancellation would not be an easy feat when I called my actual vet office to cancel and was told, "Oh honey! There's only so much we can do here. You'd have to call corporate for that... Good luck!" It was never a top notch establishment, just okay for what they were, but this began to dwindle down to horrible. For the last few years, I don't even see the vet AND I guess it wouldn't matter if I did because it's someone different every time. I'm not even welcome to stay for the "Wellness Checkup" but rather drop my dog off for about 3 hours really having no proof of anything being done to her, but you better believe that there's always a strong recommendation for some antibiotic or drop for what's ailing her.

About a year ago, I took her into the vet before going to work... She'd been throwing up and not eating (Yes I may worry too much for my little pup). Of course it was a drop off. I'd continue to get the updates at work "We've run labs and haven't found anything. We do recommend this though, if it's okay for $100.00". As the day progressed, I was now in at $500.00, including the recommended x-ray that found nothing, of course. The woman on the phone was now recommending that they keep her overnight and push IV fluids??? I quickly declined and said I'd be in to pick her up. This made me feel really bad, as though I'd been taken advantage of in the worse sort of way AND I was even a monthly wellness plan member (whatever that means)??!!?? Don't do it... It's not worth it. Find a private vet that gets to know your dog and actually cares. I promise if you calculate out the money difference you'll find them to be the same, if not less for the private vet as well as the peace of mind you'll feel that your animal is being cared for, not just pushed through a conveyer belt.

Original review: April 4, 2014

I took my cat into Banfield. They pushed a "wellness" program which when studied was worthless. They outlined a very expensive treatment program. I took my cat out of there and to my regular vet Dr. **. Then read the reviews which were terrible. Read the reviews and don't ever go to Banfield. I'm so disgusted I won't go back to Petsmart.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information