2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

I've never written a bad review for any company, but I feel I have to share this. I wanted to cancel our puppy plan after the first year but was talked into renewing for another year with the promise that I could cancel any time without any further financial obligation. Now, 6 months later, I just tried to cancel and was told I have to finish out the rest of the year in installments or pay it in full. Another $203.70. Totally feel like I was duped. The puppy plan was okay because of the amount of appointments and vaccinations, but I would not waste your dollars with the adult plan. Especially when promised you can try it now and cancel at any time later. Total dishonesty.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

Took cat to Banfield Hospital for grinding teeth and heavy breathing. The veterinarian took an x-ray and said she had a collapsed lung and congestive heart failure or cancer... She needed an oxygen tent for $900 or to be euthanize. She wouldn't make until the next day. Took her to two other veterinarians who said she had a mild case of CHF and why wasn't she treated with medication. The Banfield vet basically suggested that my cat be put down right then and there, no hope.. My cat is being treated with medications now, that was 3 1/2 weeks ago..

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

Look I don't judge or do blame game. That vet was so cold and don't suggest a flea med when he was so weak. I know that killed him. Your vet killed my cat.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

On October this year 2014, my dog got sick - stop eating. So I carry my small dog in to this hospital. To find out what was going on with him. They claim they did blood work on him and he had a gastrointestinal disorders. Well they gave me his meds. But they were telling me it would be better if I would get the wellness plan. With me being discombobulate, they took advantage of that. I just want my dog to get well. Needless to say I carry him home and yes I got the well plan. Big mistake. Spend a $178.55 on the bill. Took my dog home giving him his medicine. Going by the direction that was on the pill bottles. Well the next morning his health turn for the worst. Wrap him up, carry him back in the hospital. They took forever to get someone in there to see him so I ask someone to please come see what is wrong with my dog. She come back and said she call the doctor that was on call the day before. So she gave him a parvo test. And she advice me to give him some more medicine and to give him some more pills and to go to the store and give him some Pedialyte. The bill was $212.14.

I did as they said, my dog die within 2 hours after leaving them. I call back to tell them that he had passed and she said they were sorry. And now they sending me a bill. The dog die. Really you don't keep paying for insurance when your love one die. Never carry your pet there. And didn't even send me a sympathy card.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

We purchased the Optimum Wellness Plan for our puggle and took her in for yearly shots and dental cleanings per the plans recommendations. When she started to urinate blood one day, we took her in for a visit and she was diagnosed with a UTI and they sold us antibiotics and a urine screen. She seemed to do better over the next few days but the UTI came back a few weeks later. We repeated this cycle and her symptoms would go away for a while but always return. We purchased a cleaning solution for her, more antibiotics, and urine screens at each visit. The time between flair ups began to get shorter so after over a year of this, we took our dog to another vet along with all medical records. The vet told us that our dog was being prescribed less than half of the strength of antibiotic that she should have been getting so basically they would make her symptoms go away temporarily but never resolve the actual issue. We were at the point where we were about to have a scan and possibly surgery.

The new vet prescribed the correct dose and our dog has never had this issue again. It has been over a year! I am fairly certain since it was always a different vet treating her at Banfield that they were purposely giving her a dose too low to ensure that we would return for more medication, scans, and urine screens. I would never return to this clinic for any reason!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

Banfield Pet Hospital: They are nice to your pet and courteous to your face but just try and cancel your Wellness Plan, OMFG!!! First off, you can't cancel at the facility. You can't cancel online. You have to somehow get the "secret telephone number" and once you get the number they put you on hold for about 10 minutes; When I finally got hold of a "live" person she DEMANDED I provide a reason for cancelling my plan; which, by the way AUTO-RENEWS EVERY YEAR" unless you cancel the plan on the phone. I told her that I simply didn't want to renew the plan. She informed me that I had to provide her with a "VALID REASON" for cancelling. I had to tell her that I couldn't afford the plan. I make over 60K a year but she said the plan would run in perpetuity forever unless I gave her a VALID REASON for cancelling. STAY AWAY from this predatory, unethical company. They over inflate their charges and still charge over $100.00 over and above the plan every time you take your pet in to be seen.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2014

Why do I have to pay every month for a wellness plan for my dog if most of the times I have to take him to a different vet? PetSmart is always busy and when I stayed there is a minimum of 4 hours waiting. Few weeks ago I took my dog to neuter in a different hospital because it was $150 cheaper. Today my dog had an eye infection and Petsmart in Miracle Mile told me they have no availability. There is 1 doctor for the whole hospital so I have to take my dog to the Coconut Grove Hospital again. That's it! I'm going to cancel my dog wellness plan in Petsmart.... it's not worth it!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

I have two dogs that I have plans for thru Banfield. I had a problem with my bulldog this past weekend and took my dog there to get help. We knew he had a blockage problem from swallowing foreign objects but they insisted on running other types of tests for sickness. 458 dollars later they say he has pancreatitis and after we get home they call us to say there seems to be blockage in his intestines causing the problem. Go figure, that's exactly what we told them without a dollar spent. They then recommend we take him to a different place because they need tests done to find exact location before they would attempt surgery. Them tests would run up to 600. So basically they wanted over 1000 before trying to fix the problem.

Well we had a funeral to go to in a different state and were unable to make an appointment to do all the extra things. That next day we had a friend take our dog to the Jonesboro animal hospital and we called them to explain the issues. They said to forgo the tests to find where the object was that it was important to start emergency surgery and get it removed. There we spent $2000 and our dog was well taken care of even without a signature from us for consent to care. The surgery thru Banfield would have been much more. DO NOT waste your money with Banfield. Found out that all wellness services at the Jonesboro animal hospital would have been much cheaper than the overpriced worthless plan offered at Petsmarts Banfield.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2014

They would never freaking call you and switch the appointment if they are busy. Never. They would make you freaking wait for hours (not even lying). If you love your dog don't be lazy to find a good doctor!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2014

We have been customers in Asheville for over four years with our four dogs and have spent thousands with you! This is to inform you that we will be taking our business else where including the cancellation of the wellness plans. What we experienced last week was inexcusable. On Friday Dec 12th, we brought in Edna our Pug, who by the way is an Asheville celebrity and official mascot of our coffee house Edna's of Asheville. Edna has been on Chanel 13 and many other media outlets. She is beloved in Asheville. We brought her in to have a growth removed from her tummy area. We dropped her off and Mike my husband received a distressing call from your office that lead him to believe Edna was terminal!!! And that he could not pick her up until both doctors were present.

I called your office and received that same misleading information from a lady at the front desk who sounded like she did not give a care and refused to let me speak to the doctor. Mike rushed down to your Asheville office in tears only to find out that everything was fine but your people just wanted to discuss pricing options to remove boil. Talk about emotional pain and suffering! We are prominent community leaders in Asheville and we are outraged!!!!! We have already moved our pets to North Asheville Veterinary Hospital! In this close community, you can be sure that this news will get out!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2014

My dog got stitches from their facility and we came back to pick our dog up, they brought him to us and his pupils were still dilated, wound was not wrapped. We even asked if the wound need to be wrapped or if you would need a c-collar. Few hours later he pulled them out. Front left paw at the bend. I went to another vet the following day, they said he didn't need stitched but since they did it should’ve been wrapped and we never send a dog home if it’s still under sedation medicine. I will never take any of my three dogs there....

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

On December 2, 2014 I took my Dachshund to the Banfied Pet Hospital at Oakleaf in Jacksonville, Fla. She had a growth on the left side of nostril. The bill was $178.00 for a cytology report. On December I called asking for the report. I was told by the vet that "Unfortunately it came back non-diagnostic." She did not provide the lab. with sufficient sample. I was told the next step would be to complete removal at the cost of another $300.00. I am very frustrated since it is obvious that I have tossed away $178.00 and do not have any answers as to what the growth is on my dog's nose. I am/have requested a refund of the money since the error was the fault of the vet. and I still have no answers as to what is on my dog. The staff is inexperienced.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

Took my dog into banfield last night. The vet told me she needed to blood work and you agree to determine her condition. Upon seeing blood work, she said dog had pyrexia and needed surgery. After dog was done 20 min after surgery - was sent home. She's back in today for surgery again, suggest after that I take her to emer vet for service. What a sham. 1700 - dog still not treated properly.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

Took my pet for appointment. Omg... All they cared about is selling me insurance and ordering all different kind of test which one vet told me I didn't need. I am so sick of this place.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

Last year, August 2014, at her annual checkup Buffy started showing some of the symptoms of her cancer. Yet my vet was negligent into treating her... she ignored the signs. With a year Of treatment we might have been able to prolong her life. She was a very nice lady but blind to Buffy's needs.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

This vet is a rip off. All they are concerned about is selling their wellness maintenance plan. My daughter is at school in Raleigh, NC and her Great Dane got sick. She took him to Banfield, told her he needed all this work done but if she got this maintenance plan she would get a discount on her visit that day. Well that total visit was over $700.00. She went back a couple of times but always had to pay for something or other. She then moved from the area and tried to cancel the contract because she was no longer near Banfield and they thanked her by taking her to collections for not paying her maintenance fee contract. Avoid this Pet Hospital at all costs. They are not concerned about your pet. Very Very dissatisfied and angry.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

I was a vet assistant for banfield for 5 years. I was dedicated and hardworking, I went above and beyond for this company. Then out of the clear blue they fire me because I brought my dog in to work with me for the day and forgot to pay the daycare fee. I paid the fee 2 DAYS LATER. They said they considered this "theft of services". I must be a terrible thief if I return to pay 2 days later. This corporation cares more about money than about the health of the patients.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

Took my German Shepherd to the Vet about a year ago (Healthy for check-up). In the checkup, they told me she had heart worms and needed treatment, to buy insurance from them to reduce the cost of treatment. She would need x-ray and to stay in the hospital as they were treating her. First price given was in the 3,000. I told her I could not pay that. It when down to a monthly 100 per visit (with Insurance of 56.00 a month). I took her to get treated each month for 6 months. When I ask if they could take a x-ray to see if it was working, they told me she would not stay still and they had to put her under. My dog is not aggressive and is very obedient.

I would have to pay for visit to put her under and stay. This is when I started to question Banfield Pet Hospital. My pet is part of my family and I wanted the best for her so I took her to a second opinion. With a 120.00 Vet bill, the doctor told me she could of had heart worms but he could not see or hear any. Gave me Tri-Heart Plus for a year antibiotics in case any were left and see you next year. I would still be paying 100 a month at Banfield Pet Hospital plus 56.00 for insurance. I love my dog and the way it sounded, if I did not get treatment I she would die. If I had the money, I would of paid the 3,000. They would have rip me off. My dog is healthy in this yearly check-up and well take care off. I would never recommend Banfield Pet Hospital or their insurance.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

I took my mixed dog to the hospital in Vacaville, California. He was crying from pains for days. Vet after X-ray, believed there is something in his stomach. She was more interested in doing a next day surgery on the dog (at $3,000 plus cost) than trying to get someone above her to see what that mysterious thing in the dog's stomach.

She & her assistant induced me to sign their "wellness program" and have told me if I do euthanize the dog instead of keeping him alive, I will only be billed for what I encountered at the hospital (in 45 minutes worth of charges). I am a single parent, I could not afford an additional $3000 in expenses, especially knowing that the Vet may have just learned how to tie up her shoes, and I did not trust that she is telling the truth about surgery in 1st place. Therefore, I euthanized the dog the following day.

When I called the "wellness plan" to recalculate the charges encountered in the 1st and only visit, they worked it out backwards to mean about $300 for an x-ray, and $200 for a liquid that they gave him to hydrate him. Mind you that doctor's visit was free, I had a coupon. Because the billing could not collect on a declined credit card for the remaining balance, they sent the account to collection agency.

MY ADVICE TO FELLOW DOG OWNERS IS SIMPLY THIS: Avoid this chain of inexperienced, inefficient chain of hospitals, and see a compassionate vet in your area who earns his/her money the old fashioned way. I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS, OR GO NEAR THIS HOSPITAL, OR EVEN BUY PET SUPPLIES FROM ANY STORE THAT HOUSES OR RENTS TO THIS HOSPITAL. Consider yourself warned!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2014

I have never been more disgusted or infuriated with a business in my entire life. Banfield Pet Hospital in Braintree uses appalling business tactics in order to steal your money. NEVER bring your pets there.

When I brought my kittens in to get their spay and neuter the veterinarian there gave them a special flea treatment prior to the surgery because he said that he found a flea on one of them; but he did so without my consent, and nowhere in any of the surgery prep paper work was there even a hint that this treatment may be necessary. I was also not verbally warned either. When the bill came to charge me for it (as a surprise to me of course) I told them I refuse to pay for something they didn't get my consent for in the first place. The meeting ended with me under the assumption that my valid complaint had successfully waived these fees. I continued to bring my pets there and paid their health insurance directly from my bank account monthly. However, I just received a letter in the mail from a third party debt collector for the amount of the flea treatments because Banfield Pet Hospital has reported me for non-payment!!!!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

First, allow me to dispel some myths. The plans offered at Banfield Animal Hospital are NOT INSURANCE PLANS!!! They do not function anything like insurance. When you sign up for the plan and pay your first payment, you are actually purchasing a product, much like buying a tv or a car, but you pay in monthly installments. The services rendered at the hospital are then discounted based on your plan. Some are "covered" but that doesn't mean you get them for free. The services rendered are "free" contingent upon your payment of the full plan balance either at the term (after the year) or upon cancellation of the insurance plan at which time your term balance becomes due. BEWARE the kinds of services that the hospital performs on your pet. Upon signing up, the hospital will perform vaccinations (if overdue) which is a value of $300 and take blood-work (a value of $250+ dollars). So, if you do what I did, and bring your pet in for vaccinations and blood-work, you actually are using close to $600 in services! If you try to cancel your wellness plan before you've paid your term balance ($375 for the basic plan), you will be required to pay your plan balance in full.

IF YOU AREN'T INTENDING TO SPEND MORE THAN THE PLAN BALANCE ON YOUR COVERED PET(S) IN THE COURSE OF A YEAR, DO NOT GET A PLAN. Just pay out of pocket as you always do either there or at your local vet. DO NOT AGREE TO SERVICES THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY YOUR PLAN, unless you feel certain that they are necessary. Many of the complaints in these reviews are from people being mislead as to which services are covered under your plan and which are to be paid out of pocket. ASK IF YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY FOR SERVICES OUT OF POCKET BEFORE THEY ARE PERFORMED. The plans only work if you are already spending a large amount of money on your pet's health care. The blood-work is probably the best value because with a basic plan, you get 1 a year, which is close to 75% of your plan balance (which you will have to pay anyway). Be prepared, however to deal with the many test recommendations that will be sure to follow after having blood-work drawn.

The hospital isn't in the business of giving expensive services at a discount out of charity; the plan is to try and identify health issues with pets before they become critical. This means that the test results will be scrutinized carefully! If you don't have the cash to get a standard $250 blood-work done out of pocket, then you certainly won't be able to afford the $150 (out of pocket, by the way) of tests that may find some rare genetic disease in your pet, which could also cost you lots and lots of $$$. If you have a pet that is already sick and you plan on spending over $1000 in services (meds, tests, surgery, whatever), then the plan might be best for you. If you have a pet that seems otherwise perfectly healthy, you can probably get by without it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

On a Sunday my pet got hurt. Rushed him in the hospital with 1 doc and a few assistant there and 2 hrs to close. My pet didn't receive any help because they were short and and no opening. Wow, yea keep in mind my pet was bleeding profusely from his wound. I'm in lobby asking for help and nothing. Next day I take him to another clinic in Indiana, an hour and a half of commute. My pet was quickly patched up less than 20 min and for 120$ for staples and more etc. That was pure love how they took care of us. Now again with Banfield, I go back today because my pet almost removed his staple so I took him today to Banfield and with no app just went. The staple was halfway out and inside his wound. They couldn't see me because didn't make a payment of 15 dollars - that was fine and then I had to wait 3 hr 1/2 to remove a (1) staple halfway out so I ask what happened to my account. It withdrawal automatically, well didn't last month, wasn't paid. Because they wanted money (15$) upfront I got no service. Now I'm canceling. Ripoffs! They don't care about your pet, it's about $$$$ - disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

I had my two cats on the Wellness Plan for several years and the service was always good at my local Petsmart. However, I had to give them away, and when trying to cancel it turns out I will owe the entire year of payments, so what is the benefit of the plan??? They advertise it as "insurance", when it's just a payment plan, like a cell phone - you have to pay off whatever service you used up - and it restarts every year so it's worse. Their "discounted prices" are barely what an average vet would cost, so that's not a real advantage no matter how many hundreds they tell you have been saved. I will be a vocal critic of the wellness plan for life.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

My dealing with the hospital has been great. They (Park West) take very good care of my pets. They tried so hard to save my dog. They operated on my dog 3 times, to save his life. They are really great Doctors.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I have a 1 year contract with three months remaining. In the preceding nine months I had no occasion to take my 12-year old Silky for any emergency. Last months he had a digestive problem which required my taking him for an exam. Even though I have their "Cadillac" plan it cost $287 for This visit. Not very cost effective. The vet kept suggesting additional procedures which all proved negative. Thus driving up the cost. They prescribed 2 medications that fixed him up in two days.

One month later he had the same symptoms. I had a balance of pills from the one medication however I needed 3 pills of the Other. I called at 9:45 am and asked if I could come in and pick them up. I expected to pay for them and that she would say to come right in. Was I wrong. After 15 minutes of interrogation, I was told the Dr. Would need to call me back in a few minutes. There was only one vet on duty and she was supposedly in surgery. When I hadn't heard back by 5:20 I called and told them what they could do with the plan. They certainly didn't have any interest in caring for my pet. They are a money driven company that has their bottom line as their major concern.

After my call complaining and informing I would not renew my plan. I got a return call in about ten minutes telling me the vet just looked at the request and to come in for the pills. No apology, no "We're sorry just doing what should have been done 7 hours earlier." CANCELLING the renewal Is a procedure not easily completed. I was required to contact the home office. Long story short. Use a different vet service. A small Local one that has no stockholders to look at quarterly results. Sell short. One

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Our Mollie (13.5 yr old dog) was seen on 11/21/2014 for comprehensive exam, covered/recommended under Wellness Plan but with primary focus on hip/joint stiffness/immobility that had arisen. I remained present during the exam and they told me she had a MILD infection but was showing no known symptoms of hearing impairment at the time. Also, found to be in need of an ear cleaning routine also. I was sent home with EpiKlean ear cleanser (2x week for 2 weeks) and 15g Remicin Ointment (4-5 drops, 2x daily for 2 weeks).

Within 4 days, noticeable hearing loss was occurring. I made an appointment because of this and Mollie was seen again on 11/29/2014 because hearing loss was extreme and concerning. At home she acted as though she was completely deaf and considerably lethargic/withdrawn. I dropped her off for this appointment - figuring that they would just say the ear drops were "clogging" her ears. I was told later in the afternoon, though, that she presented deaf to the vet staff and that this was normal considering her AGE. When I openly questioned the rapid onset (no known symptoms to full deafness within 1 week) I was assured that it was happening gradually and that her age was culprit - twice! I was also informed at this time to immediately stop the Remicin ointment drops and told that her infection was no longer seen.

It was after returning home with her that my husband and I researched and learned of this terrible risk of deafness particularly in older dogs. We had no idea. We were not informed of neither consented to such risks involved with this medication. We would have sought alternative treatments. The vet tech had just marked her health as 'excellent' before my eyes in our initial exam - there was NO evidence of hearing impairment... I reject completely that a dog can go completely deaf within a week's time, no matter how old it is, without a direct reason!! I've never had a problem with Banfield before, but we have seen all over the internet (too late) how this Remicin Ointment is causing deafness...too much so to justify a vet continuing to prescribe it to patients (especially senior dogs in which the risk is all so much greater)!!

Bottom line: Took her there for a routine exam, and ended up with a handicapped dog! We are in the process of reporting this incident at state and local levels to ensure we do everything possible to prevent this medicine from ruining another dog's life!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

What a scam!!!!!! Buyer beware!!!! Two years ago, I adopted a pet from a shelter and took her to Banfield to make sure she had her shots and was healthy. I was talked into taking out a pet policy which I paid $65.00 a month for 1 year. I just received a collection notice from an agency that my account has been turned for collection. I never received any notice or calls from anyone to notify me or give me any options. I just called to see what the billing was all about and was told that my policy automatic renewed for another year. I have lived at my current address for 2 years and was told the billing was going to the wrong address. I have had the same phone number for 8 years and no calls. Obviously, the collection has my correct address and phone number! If I don't pay an additional $304.00, it will be reported on my credit report. I have paid hundreds on this account.......BEWARE!!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

Was 15 min. Early for 1st appt. Was checked in by techs. Ten left in a room with a very nervous puppy for 30 min. NOBODY CAME IN. I finally left, as the dog was showing signs of potty break need. The receptionist wanted me to wait a little longer so she could bill me for services unrendered. LOL. I left. Oh by the way the roads were getting worse, as it was raining and sleeting. A little consideration would have gone a long way. Let me know why I am waiting so long. Offer me an opportunity to walk the puppy after an hour and fifteen minutes. (You'd think a vet would realize that a 3 month old pup needs to go frequently). VERY Dissatisfied with this facility. Will not give a good recommendation.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

After joining my pet what they call insurance, I took my pet. The doctor told me that if didn't take my pet to a hospital she will crash any minute, that she will only have may be 4 or 5 hours to live. She was pushing me to take her to a hospital where a friend of this lady veterinarian works, because I went with my husband and he had to go to work. She has the nerve to tell me to let my husband take a taxi and I should go to the hospital immediately. For some reason I didn't believe her. We went straight home and called this other vet. doctor, and yes my pet has diabetes but it was not an emergency. I took her the next day to this other doctor and everything was fine. I have to paid $41.00 extra for other exam that according to her was not covered.

After four months I received a call from a collection agency saying that I have a debt with Banfield Hospital of $311.46. I couldn't believe it. I paid it and call Banfield Hospital, and as per them they couldn't collect the monthly payment of my pet insurance because the bank has denied the payment. I called the bank and it was not true. They never call me or even sent notifications about this. I end up paying the insurance for the whole year and because they couldn't not collect the monthly insurance payment, they cancel the account. They never gave me a contract, everything was done through the phone. DO NOT GET THIS INSURANCE FOR YOUR PET, AND IF YOU DO, TELL THEM TO GIVE A CONTRACT. THIS INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER MUCH FOR YOUR PET, YOU ARE BETTER OFF TAKING YOUR PET TO A PRIVATE VET. THEY ARE OVERCHARGING.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

I signed up for Banfield Deluxe Wellness Plan which included a spade for my puppy late that year. I signed up Sept 4,2014. By October I began complaining to all the correct tel numbers to request a refund because The Banfield Vets in Natomas in Sacramento were really quite poor. I only received unhelpful comments like, "oh we do not give refunds ever." So for an entire year Sept. 4, 2014- Sept 4, 2015 I am expected to pay for $560 for mid October, 2014-Apr 4, 2014 even though I will never step foot in a Banfield Hospital again. There are a number of truly excellent Sacramento Vets that are honest and fair. I moved to Natomas and thought I would try Banfield. My puppy almost died under Banfield care. I had to spend $1200 at Vista Vet Hospital for them to save my puppies life. One Vet at Banfield Natomas does not speak English fluently and it is impossible to understand him. According to the woman greeting customers for check, he is the best. If this is the case then there is no hope for competent care at Banfield.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information