3.39/5
Based on 1,061 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Banfield Pet Hospital

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Aug. 30, 2014

Under-qualified, under-trained, under-paid staff misrepresenting products/services and constantly try to push you to spend unnecessary money! I have had the wellness plans for both our pets for over 8 years because I thought it was the right thing to do. Over the recent years I've noticed more RED FLAGS than I'd like; I feel like I'm in a Russian Airport. I recently asked a "pet nurse" how many CVTs they had on staff. She told me that "Pet Nurses" and CVTs are "basically the same." Um, NO. This is severe misrepresentation of product and false advertising, which is FRAUD. Banfield hires non-experienced kids and trains them to be Pet Nurses by making them watch videos. A Certified Veterinary Technician has completed a 2 year degree (should be from a Regionally-accredited school, NOT a Nationally-accredited!!) and passed a rigorous, National Certification Exam.

I recently took a position where I work closely with several Veterinarians. When I mentioned my recent observations at my Banfield, their jaws dropped. This week, the Vet at Banfield advised they needed to sedate both of my pets so they could do their comprehensive exam. JUST AN EXAM! They said it was needed cause both were so agitated. Well, if you had *good* CVTs there on staff, rather than Pet Nurses, you'd have someone trained and confident in their Restraining skills. Banfield is: Money-hungry, Undertrained, Underpaid, Lacks confidence. Lacks ability, technology, equipment and supplies to treat animals properly. They just want you to get in, hurry up, buy what they're selling and get out. You should NOT need to sedate an old pet (that isn't feral, isn't injured) just to do an exam. Turns out the really good CVTs do NOT have to work at Banfield. They work at a "real clinic."

Original review: Aug. 29, 2014

The first time I went to Banfield I had my brand new puppy and she needed fixed. They did a fine job, no complaints there, but she had puked a little when I got her home. So the vet told me to let them know if there were any complications afterward, so I brought her in just to be safe. The vet told me that she needed a hydration treatment, bloodwork, and x-rays. They told me it would be thousands of dollars. I didn't have that kind of money so I cried! I didn't want my dog to be sick but what could I do? When the vet saw me crying she told me to take her home and give her some white rice and boiled chicken and see if she got any better, and of course, she was fine! The last time I went to them my dog had hives and they told me it would also cost thousands of dollars, and I cried again, they told me she could go into shock if I didn't come up with the money. I took her home and gave her Benadryl because that's what I read on the internet, and she was fine. The nerve of them to play on your emotions disgusts me. You trust them and they take advantage of you because you have no idea what to do.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Aug. 28, 2014

DO NOT BRING YOUR PET TO THIS CLINIC! They draw you in with this super inexpensive plan, then try to pawn off their overpriced meds and assorted ear washes etc. for top dollar $$$. I mean really, a $29.95 bottle or ear wash for a 1 pb puppy?? I walked over to aisle 3 of PetSmart and purchased one for $9.95. READ YOUR PAPERWORK before checkout. My pup had contagious intestinal parasites and they never told me, yet I looked over my paperwork AFTER I took my pup to a different Vet for a second opinion as to why his stool is loose and he seems to always be in pain! She said he tested positive to his fecal exam for parasites! Why didn't Banfield catch this and why did they include it in my paperwork stating that they gave me meds for my 8week old pup? They didn't! I'm not exactly sure how they are getting away with this scam, but BEWARE!!!! Oh and PS... I also caught the parasite because it can be passed along to humans! I have to wait up to 10 days to see if my kids also caught the parasite! Thanks Banfield!!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

DO NOT USE THIS PLAN. The prices of regular services are inflated so much that if you use any services then something happens to pet or you sell it, you will be paying the entire 400 dollars for plan. IT IS A SCAM. I had a pet and brought him for 3 visits of the 9 on my plan. I sold the pet but had to pay the entire bill. Read the small print of yearly contract. You pay the lesser of the plan total or services used retail value. They jack the retail value up so high of their services that they always get the full amount of plan. Very unfair business practice. Several complaints at BBB including mine.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2014

Please look somewhere else for pet care. Terrible service! Not interested in listening to concerns and health history. Only interested in unnecessary services to pay for the cost of their overhead instead of providing care and comfort to an acute health problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

Dog w/UTI & positive for crystals/urine. I fed him asparagus for crystals. I refused $500 Banfield tests. Vet was completely oppositional. No blood in his urine now was irrelevant. Purchase monthly plan & nothing they recommend is optional.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

I brought my 17-year-old cat into Banfield in Canoga Park, California for ear mites. They gave a free exam. They charged me $62.12 for ear mite medicine. They took my cat in the back room and did not give me the unused portion of the med. When they returned my cat to me, he seemed off. I took him home after paying the outrageous price. He began sneezing in sets of 4 over and over again. Later that night, he started bleeding from his nose in streams. After 4 hours, he stopped bleeding. He stopped eating so we took him to a different vet who gave him meds and ran a multiple of tests costing over $1000, but found nothing. He developed swelling on his left side. He is still sneezing but not as much and he is not bleeding. He is also eating. I called the Banfield in Canoga Park and complained. They told me that they would reorder the ear mite meds they put in my cat's ears. I told them that I want a full refund. The receptionist told me that I would need to speak to the manager who is on vacation. She told me that she will have the manager call me back. That was one month ago!

My husband is a Disabled Veteran with Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and would have been devastated if the cat died. I am disabled as well. We are on a very limited fixed budget and if wasn't for our wonderful friend we would never have been able to save our cat's life.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2014

I went here the day my guinea pig got sick. They said everything was fine. He just had to eat more so I fed him more that night. The next day, he died. I was devastated and so upset, I spent so much money trying to save my guinea pig I love. The next day, he died. The vets had no idea what they were talking about and kept urging me to spend more for unnecessary treatment.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

My dog has been on the wellness plan with Banfield since she was 8 weeks old. She is now 10 months old. We had an accident and the dog needed immediate surgery that would cost over $1000. I did not have the money to pay and Banfield does not work out a payment plan with you. Because the dog needed the surgery immediately, I had no other choice but to give her to a rescue that would perform the surgery. I had to give up my dog to save her life. My lesson that I learned through this experience is that Banfield (the company) is all about the money. I called around to see if I could get her the surgery on a payment plan from other veterinarians but the vets told me that they only do emergency payment plans for current patients. Therefore, get established with a vet that will be caring for your pet during a time of emergency.

Don't go with Banfield that is all about the dollar. The doctors are wonderful and I know they wanted to help but it was out of their hands. Unless you are capable of coming up with a lot of money at the last minute, then Banfield is right for you. But, if you live on a budget, just pray nothing happens to your animal because they will not work with you on a payment plan no matter how long you have been affiliated with them. The wellness plan is no good - doesn't really have any real benefits to it.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

The wellness plan that we had for our dog did not cover anything. Ok, we had unlimited visits but would not cover anything else. The cost we paid for the year was more than taking him to another vet per visit. We had to pay out of pocket for services at another vet for services that was supposed to be covered at Banfield. It's a waste of money and time. Better vet plans out there for the consumers. Do the research...

Original review: Aug. 15, 2014

Banfield, Manahawkin NJ - First off, the vet/private owner never shook our hands or introduced himself! My Puppy had fleas and worms, and we brought him there to get de-wormed and to get a refund for our unopened, faulty flea product! Over the phone, the secretary told me that if we were dissatisfied with the product we could return it. The Dr. was rude and raised his voice many times during our visit. Told me and my father that we were "playing games"! My puppies health is not a game.. and we were simply trying to get him healthy! I told him what his secretary told me, he told me he didn't believe me and actually made her come form the front desk into the exam room, but then he just walked away and didn't even witness what her and I spoke about!

There was no compassion or care for my Puppy! I asked to see someone else and he told me he was the boss. I called corporate since his actions make Banfield look bad and within a short time the same man I had a problem with called me back to tell me he got the message about my complaint. The customers always right... and you just lost our business, and so did the Petsmart!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2014

We arrived at our appointment early. Since no one else was on time they took us right in. The vet tech arrived in the room and explained that the receptionist should have entered our dog's shot record into the system. The vet tech asked if our dog was neutered, we stated that he was and his paper from the vet that neutered him was in his records that she NEVER even looked at and she proceeded to actually feel the dogs empty sac because she didn't believe he was neutered. Wow what a first impression! So we started talking about the health of our dog. Our dog was a rescue that we had rescued 6 weeks before this day. When we rescued him you could see every bone in his body. At this point he had put some weight on but I thought he should gain some more weight.

The vet tech told us that our dog looked good. She explained how since he is a GSD mix she liked them on the thin side so he didn't have any other medical issues like hip dysplasia etc. In our dog's records he had also had a 9-way distemper shot that was bought at central tractor and the vet tech told us those shots are only water and have no value. I was a little in shock. By this point we had no idea that a licensed vet would even come into the room. Well the vet tech took our dog out to test him for heartworms and parasites etc. She then brought him back into the room.

After a few moments a vet appeared. The vet had told us the TOTAL OPPOSITE of what the vet tech said. He stated our dog's body condition was a 3 not a 5 like the vet tech had stated. He needed to gain weight just like I had expressed. The vet tech told us in 3 months to wean him to dog food and off puppy food and the vet told us to start him on dog food now because the puppy food is too rich for his system. The whole appt. was very displeasing. We will not be returning to them any time in the future. Apparently their vet tech thinks she's a vet and should watch her words before she speaks them. I have never been in a situation like that where there is so much opposition.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

On Sunday June 22, 2014, my dog Koda was rushed to Banfield while having a horrible seizure. She was turned away because the Doctor was busy treating a bleeding dog. I rushed her to another Vet in town. She had been seizing for over 10 minutes. She had to be put down later that day. I am horrified at the lack of response and refusing to help my dog in a traumatic situation. I expected as a member for over 10 years, for Banfield to be loyal to me and my beloved dog. I am very sad for the loss of my dog and the negligent and unethical way this was handled.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

I have used the Banfield clinic for over 11 years (I currently have 10 pets) and was very happy. However, during the last year the insane turnover rate with the staff and vets had me concerned. Here are the incidents that happened in the last few weeks that have caused me to write the review in the hopes that no one will ever take another animal to any Banfield clinic.

1. I had a 20 yr old cat who was dying of cancer. I called to bring her in to be euthanized...and was told it wasn't really an emergency and I could get an appointment in 7 days. (Maybe they believe cats don't feel pain no suffer?)

2. I brought my dachshund mix in who has Disc Disease. The vet DID NOT EVEN TOUCH MY DOG! He still managed to cough up some diagnosis and left the room as quickly as possible. Don't worry - he did manage to print out the bill just fine!

3. My puppy had an appointment to be spayed and I was quoted a price between $250-300 (gulp). When I arrived at the appointment, I was told I needed to pay $595 because now my puppy was 7 months old and the price goes up. I asked why, as the dogs weight stayed the same. Her response...."Because." I then asked for a complete price breakdown of the bill, so I could determine what the extra costs were. Nobody in the office could do it.

4. I asked to speak with the office manager to solve these issues. After waiting 7 days with no contact from the manager, I filed a complaint with the corporate office. The office manager called me 15 minutes later. I asked her why she was calling me now and not last week, and she replied, "I received an email you complained. I'm doing my job by calling you back. What do you want?" And that was the NICEST part of the conversation.

In summary, the vet is cold and uncommunicative, the front desk staff incredibly rude, under-prepared and uninvolved, and the office manager must be the defensive linebacker of the team as she does nothing but block any progress. Please. DO NOT TAKE YOUR ANIMALS HERE. EVER. They don't care about you, they probably hate your animal....but they're very hopeful for your bank account. Please, find a real vet!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2014

When I signed up for their optimum wellness plan I was told that I would be able to obtain emergency services if the need arose. Last Wednesday my dog was very ill. He would not eat, was shaking and vomiting. I called Banfield and begged them for an appointment. I was told I could have an appointment the following Monday! I called the other Banfield in my area and begged them the same way and was told that they could give my dog an appointment Tuesday!

That night I had to rush my dog to the emergency hospital as I was afraid he would die. We were told that if the dog had his meds sooner he would not have had to suffer so long. It cost me $400.00. When I called Banfield to cancel the plan I could not use anyway they told me it would cost me $320.00 to cancel! Unbelievable nerve.

Original review: July 31, 2014

I took my dog in with an ear infection. They wanted to charge me $20 to administer the first dose of the prescribed medicine. My normal vet always administers the first dose to show me how to do it properly AND DOESN'T CHARGE TO DO IT.

Original review: July 30, 2014

I took my 9-year-old German Shorthair here after he messed up his shoulder. Not sure how he did but because he is very active all day but it quickly got to the point where he would not put any weight on it. I called my vet and they were packed the next day and could not get him in so I called around and Banfield Pet Hospital (in Bartlett, TN) had an opening so I scheduled him in. The vet recommended an x-ray be done after initial look over to see if there was any damage. I assumed that since they had the capability then they must know what they would be looking for... not the case.

When I picked him up, the vet talked through the x-rays with them on the screen. I listened to what she had to say but in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "This is a joke, right?" She concentrated on the shoulders, comparing one to the other and pointed out how one is smooth and one has got a different shape. I admitted up front that I am no expert but questioned if the differences are because one shoulder shows the outside (shoulder blade) side of the bone while the other showed the ball-in-socket joint, so yeah, they would look different. But I asked, "So you think this is a bone problem?" She then turned to say, "Well, we are not joint experts!"

As you can guess my blood is starting to boil at this point, especially knowing I just spent $500 on x-rays that apparently they have no idea how to read. If she would have just stuck with her original story I would have been forced to believe her, because I admit I am no expert. She recommended sending it to a specialist for their opinion and I agreed. This was on a Monday and she said that she will have the results on Wednesday and call to discuss. Wednesday came and she left a message on my phone that the results were in and that I could try to call her but she would try again later. I tried and she was busy with patients so I waited... and waited.

Next day I called again, still could not get a hold of her. 8 days later I show up and explain my situation. The tech at the counter was super nice and said that the vet I used has been on vacation but understood this needed to be taken care of. She emailed and left messages on the vet's phone and finally 10 days after I brought him in, a different vet called and said it is probably osteoarthritis. This place is an absolute joke. If you're just going to get vaccinations and checkups then they might be alright but I HIGHLY suggest never agreeing to anything more than that. I wouldn't even trust them with a neuter job. Now I am forced to find another place to probably go through all this again, and pay out the ** for another x-ray. Don't waste your time here. There are better ways of throwing away your money.

Original review: July 26, 2014

I used their services on 11/2013. I took my pets only twice and was billed for 7 months and then I lost my job due to a back injury. I called them and let them know I couldn't pay until I found another job. They told me they would stop withdrawing the payments from my account but they lied and put my account in the negative. They are the worst pet hospital I have ever done business with and overcharge for the service you receive. They made it where I can't go to my doctor because my account is in the negative now. They don't care about their customers, they just want your money and that's all.

Original review: July 26, 2014

Please run away from this place!!!! I took my little pug to get a health certificate to Germany, since I was moving to the country. The unprepared, and irresponsible staff not only led me to get the certificate done on the wrong date, as well did it incompletely. Because of their unprofessionalism and careless work, I was denied to embark to my last fly from Baltimore to Germany a R$1600 dollars flight, and I will have to stay in Baltimore in a hotel, paid out of my pocket, plus transportation for 20 days, and get than a new health certificate, of course paid by me. I also will have to book a new flight.

Because of Banfield unprepared and careless staff, I will have to spend over R$3000 dollars. When I contact the clinic, the extremely rude and unprofessional manager Stephanie **, told me that was nothing that they could do by that point, even though she admitted their mistake. I also try to contact their customer advocate department, but they do absolutely nothing about. This hospital is just clearly a franchise, to make money out of their customers. They never even cared, that my poor dog could had being killed in Germany, yes, killed, some countries if they arrive with a mistakenly done health certificate, the pet will be exterminated.

I was even advised by Stephanie ** and her staff to leave my pet behind, and it could be shipped later, of course by my expenses. A veterinarian should know by head that a pug can't be shipped in cargo because of their short nose, and breathing problems, that is how careless they are. Every time you go to this vet clinic, it can be a broken nail, they will force and push you, to spend at least over 300 dollars. Please if you cared about your pet, be aware, look for other place, real vets who care about your beloved pet, and not money maker machine as Banfield franchise.

Original review: July 25, 2014

Banfield Pet's wellness plan blocked my account to get me pay the amount that is in collections in my sister's account. Because I have the same last name and address, they blocked my account. I am willing to provide proof of myself but they want me to send in my sister's IDs which is illegal.

Original review: July 18, 2014

Took my puppy in for itching and was charged $16.16 for medicine that only cost $6.90. I tried to downgrade from Optimum wellness to Essential because I still am getting charged $19.96 for flea meds. There is actually no difference in the care for Essential than Optimus, they charged $10 more for the service. They did not check to see if my puppy was allergic to the flea pills or what. They just gave me some pills to stop the itching. WHAT KIND OF RIPOFF IS THIS? You can't even cancel the service until after a year is over.

Original review: July 18, 2014

The vets at my location were always top notch more so than some of their assistants. My dog of 14 years had to be euthanized due to tumors, arthritis and possible cancer. I paid for services as she was on the plan. I called the next morning and told I would have to pay an additional 4 months premiums for her for "services" rendered even though I had paid for everything at the only visit since the renewal went through... I will never recommend them again. The prices are higher even with their discounts than another corporate vet down the street.

Original review: July 16, 2014

My dogs, Riley and Titus, were fixed today at Banfield Hospital on Rivers Ave in north Charleston, South Carolina. The Vet was Dr. ** and the vet assistant was **. I took my dogs home, by myself. When I got them home I was able to take a closer look, and come to find out, Titus had been shaved. Not just in the regular procedure areas, as expected, but they cut my dog's hair completely around his back up to his shoulders! They did NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION to do this. They cut off all of my dogs' beautiful curls and I am not sure if they will grow back. I am furious that they would do this without my permission. Shaving him on his belly and genital area is understandable, but if he required more than that I should have been informed. You don't just take a long haired dog and shave him without permission.

This is the SECOND time I have had problems with the treatment of my animals at Banfield. The first time was when they took my kitten Emma back to draw blood, brought her back to me and 10 minutes later came back in to inform me that they FORGOT that they needed more blood from her. They took her back again and I watched from the window as they shoved a needle into her 7 different times to draw blood. I am sorry, but this is ridiculous.

Original review: July 7, 2014

I had a pet pass and I lost my job and I never received anything that I was in collections three years ago. Called and their customer service is horrible. They don't listen, don't care, don't believe anything you say. They can't prove anything also. My favorite Dr. retired and it was obvious that the office manager didn't like him. Never going back. I have found a very good Dr. for all my pets in Goodyear, AZ.

Original review: July 5, 2014

We took our dog Kyra a four year old Parsons Jack Russell, a pure bred to Banfield because they have an affordable yearly plan. Last year (2013) we took her for her vaccinations Lyme Disease and another vaccination. When we brought her home she had an allergic reaction and they told us to give her allergy meds, so we did. She had a large lump on her leg and she was in pain and she snapped at us, which she has never done. The Doctor R. told us last year she can`t have two vaccinations at a time, do one vaccination a week apart for next time.

On Sunday May 18 2014 my husband went to pick up heartworm medicine single dose for my dog. The receptionist said she has to come back for a heartworm test. My husband gave Kyra the heartworm medicine that following day. I called to make an appt for Kyra for the Heartworm Test and have her nails cut. Tuesday May 20th I brought her in drop off. I put on the Check in Paper, she had a biscuit to eat this am and SHE CAN NOT HAVE TWO VACCINATIONS AT A TIME WHEN THEY ASK IF YOUR DOG EVER HAD ALLERGIC REACTIONS, THAT IS WHAT I WROTE. JUST EXTRA INFO THAT WE GIVE SAME FOR HUMANS WHEN WE GO TO DR.

When I went to pick Kyra up that day with my daughter, the nurse and the receptionist came out said they gave her Lyme and Bortedell vaccination today, I said I didn't know they gave her the vaccinations and she said yes they will keep us up to date on what she needs. They never gave her allergy medicine, gave the two vaccinations that day, never asked me if they could go ahead and give her the vaccinations. They were negligence on their part, not paying attention to the check in sheet. Dr R and Dr O were irresponsible.

We brought her home and she was never the same dog. Laying around, not drinking, Leg Shaking, just not the fun loving dog we had up till that day. This is a Jack Russell, they play, they jump, they bark!!!!! We waited a day, I called Wednesday afternoon I called the hospital and told them that my dog was not right, something happened. They said to give her an Adult Benedryl pill and we did. No change, the next day I called and said we are coming in something is wrong. She just laid in the cage.

My daughter and husband dropped her off at 1:30 pm, they were told that the drs were at lunch. At 2:30 they said we can come pick Kyra up, nothing is wrong, but they will give us some Rimadyll anti-inflammatory pills. Saturday I called the Hospital Manager. She said Dr O checked her, there is nothing wrong with her. Sunday we brought her in and they felt her back and she winced so Dr C prescribed some sedative and Rimadyl and to keep her in a cage because of her back, no running, no this, no that.

They wanted 38.00 dollars for the meds and I said I wasn’t paying anything. That night our baby Kyra was acting all drunk with the sedative and all so we called and said it was too much for her and the dr said to give her half a pill the next day but we didn't. She was acting still strange, I called, asked what the name of the vaccinations and the heartworm med etc. They said they had changed companies this year. They switched to Merck Heartworm Tri Hart, I believe and the Lyme was by Merck also... She was shaking lethargic and not drinking, wanting to stay away under the bed all day.

On Tuesday we got worried and took her to The Veterinary Specialty Hospital in New Castle Delaware. She was shaking and not right, the doctor kept her there for the day for 800 dollars. They thought she had a disc disease but they checked her blood and that was ok and gave her an x-ray for the spine and told me we need an MRI for 3000.00, if we want to know since it didn't show any disc problem on the x-ray. They prescribed her Tramidol pain killer and same anti inflammatory meds. We brought her home, gave her the meds evening at 6:00, we picked her up, she was still in pain and out of it.

On Thursday May 29th, she got real bad shaking, wouldn't eat or drink at all. I noticed her back leg was going stiff and she couldn't lift her back body up. We rushed her to the hospital and right before the hospital, she had a Grand Mal seizure. We rushed her in, they ran in with a paper that says we need 500 dollars. Of course we signed the paper. They said she kept having seizures all through the night, we kept her there. Of course they wanted 1300 dollars to 2200. They give you a work up the high price and the low price to save your animal`s life and they require 75 percent.

The following morning Friday May 29th, our beloved Kyra was gone. She died at 7:00, they worked on her for fifteen minutes to save her but she was gone at four years old. We are heartbroken. Of course Banfield started a claim at our request with Merck to do a necropsy to find out the cause of death and we waited and they said she had all this inflammation in the brain, something was wrong with the stomach, the lung etc on the necropsy report. Therefore it was not the vaccination that caused the death of our baby, a dog that was fine before the day we brought her for her nails clipped and her heartworm test. They were negligent in the first place I called to ask for a copy of Kyra`s records to both places and a copy of the check in paper and they said they throw those out!!! I did receive a sympathy card from Banfield but Dr O and R never signed it, but Dr C. Did. Please be aware of your pet`s care.

Original review: July 5, 2014

I took my dog to Banfield Pet Hospital which is part of Pet Smart for check up and the doctor prescribed Remicin ointment for my dog's ear infection. Sadly within 5 days our dog became deaf. The doctor never disclosed that there would be such risk of hearing loss. The entire family including our children are devastated and saddened to see our joyful and playful dog behaving so quiet and depressed, showing no reaction and not responding to anything due to being deaf. When we discussed the hearing loss issue with the doctor at "Banfield Pet Hospital", they confirmed that the Remicin may cause deafness and did not explain why such important factor was not disclosed to us.

Should we have known the risk, we would have never accepted to give Remicin to our dog. We will take any possible action to let people know about this drug and the misconduct of the doctors at Banfield Pet Hospital of Pet Smart. These group are more focused on making money rather than the well being of the animal and they provide no proper explanation regarding this issue. We now have a very distressed, sad, stressful and difficult environment in our household dealing with a deaf dog which is an important part of our family. Tell everyone that the Remicin antibiotic causes deafness in dogs and double check any prescription given by the doctors of the Banfield Pet Hospital of the Pet Smart company.

Original review: June 26, 2014

In April of this year, my approximately 11-year-old cat was hospitalized at a local emergency vet, diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He underwent all of the necessary diagnostic workup and treatment including tapping of the fluid. Upon discharge from the hospital, a discussion was had with the treating vet that my cat would have to be on 3 medications for the rest of his life: Lasix, Enalapril, and 1/4 baby aspirin. His life expectancy would be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years depending on how he responded to the medication. I was also informed that periodic kidney function labs should be performed due to the Lasix (a diuretic) and he should be on a prescription renal diet.

As an aside, my financial situation right now does NOT permit me to try to extend the life of my cat (who is already getting up there in years) any further than what has been done. What I'm working on right now is mainly comfort and QUALITY life. I'm willing to bring him in periodically for the kidney functions and keep him on this inexpensive medication which works within my budget and the renal diet... NOTHING more! No more x-rays, hospital stays, poking, needling, scanning, etc. Fortunately, my cat has been responding wonderfully to the medications he was released on. He's acting like he's years younger than he is, playing, begging for food, cuddling, and even singing love songs (without success) to try to impress my female cat (she's not impressed). He enjoys the new food also.

My cat gets extremely worked up when traveling, usually urinating the crate at about 5 minutes and then pooping the crate anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes while being in the car. Therefore, I decided to take him to the vet nearest to my house to establish care upon discharge from emergency. This place wanted to readmit him, place him back on oxygen (the emergency had just weaned him off oxygen and he was now doing fine on room air), and run a whole series of tests that he had just had done. I told them to forget it, and he was able to follow up with the emergency clinic for a while after I explained this to them.

The 2nd nearest place to my home is Banfield. I was reluctant to bring him to any type of chain store, but I figured it was best to try to reduce his travel stress. When I called to schedule the appointment, I explained the situation and that all I needed was for him to be seen and to have his medications refilled. I showed up for my appointment on time. The vet did not. I waited about 15 to 20 minutes before the doctor finally came in. I then proceeded to explain the situation to the vet, who was like talking to a wall, and handed him the extensive hospital notes from the clinic.

After doing an exam which included looking at my cat's teeth/mouth, looking for fleas, listening to his heart, squeezing his belly, checking his ears, taking his temperature, etc., and then telling me how his chest sounds clear and he looks great (probably because he's been on the medications... duh! ), he refused to refill his meds - even though I had the papers from the emergency clinic stating that he should be on them long term - without going through a series of labs/tests to the tune of $259 (that's the number that I saw on the computer screen when I asked how much. It could be more or less. I was so furious at that point and the screen was quite far from me, but the first number in the price was definitely a 2, and I'm 99% sure the other 2 numbers were a 5 and a 9) on top of the cost of the exam ($40+).

I've had his kidney labs done already, and it did NOT cost anywhere near $259! At that point, I explained that I don't have the money right now (which I didn't), put my cat back in his crate while fighting back tears and the urge to tell him to piss off, and asked him for a note explaining his refusal to renew the medications so I could bring it to the pet emergency where they could hopefully renew his medications for me again. After waiting several minutes for his notes, I said screw it, paid for the exam, and left.

When I arrived home, I called my original vet who is located about 30 minutes away from my home. After explaining the situation, she informed me that it is not mandatory to have any tests done. However, by law, they have to do a hands-on examination of my pet before dispensing medications. I will be bringing my cat back to his original vet where I know that they will be looking out for him (like they always have) and NOT trying to take advantage of me. He will have his routine kidney labs done there (when he's due to have them), and when the time comes that he's not responding to treatment any longer, I know he'll be treated with kindness and compassion.

If being treated like a number, herded in like cattle, and having unnecessary overpriced tests run on your pet is what you're looking for, then Banfield is the place for you! If not, then please take your pet to a trusted local vet even if it's not convenient. IMO, this place is more concerned about getting the most money possible than it is about the well-being of the pets they're supposed to be caring for. It's all about customers... not patients.

Original review: June 18, 2014

I have a maltese who tends to need care more than most dogs so the plan is good for me. This past re-sign up, I felt very rushed. I was there to address aggression and that I was not Sure due to cost of care I could keep him. I had to make a quick decision and being 60 miles right now from my current home, just said sign me back up.

They barely had time with him, but racked up what would have cost over 300. Meaning sure I had so many days to cancel the policy, but then I would owe that amount of so called tests and things they did to him. This was the first time I questioned their concern for their customer’s wallet. So I will keep my dog as things have changed. However knowing the plan is not transferable... or able to be cancelled, I think I will not be joining again.

Original review: June 18, 2014

When I registered for the wellness plan, everything was fine, they were more than happy to get paid every month. When I lose my job, I called a month before my plan was up for renewal, explained my situation and requested to cancel my plan. This guy begged me to keep the plan for a month free of charge and to see by then if would have my finances together by then. He sent my free products and everything. I agreed to see where things would go. Within that free month, I took my dog to the hospital for a minor check up (If I was offered the plan I figured, why not use it, right?). Before that month was up, my situation has gotten worst, I called again and requested to NOT renew my plan, before I knew it, my account was charged and Banfield, said that my account was automatically renewed and I would need to pay a cancellation fee. I begged them to not renew my plan but they did what they wanted to do!! No one recalls my first conversation that I had with them.

With that being said, with no job I was unable to pay my bills and they sent my account to collections, which was added to my report. Now I'm stuck paying a bill that I begged not to have in the first place. The customer service reps are rude and have to respect or empathy for others. It would not have killed this company to follow my request.

Original review: June 18, 2014

My cat Bell is a pure breed British Short Hair. She was 6-month old and we signed a wellness plan with Banfield. After her second routine visit to Banfield, she developed this allergic reaction or some other disease with swollen paw, face, tummy and scratching herself constantly. After 2 visits, unnecessary x-rays and very rude assistants who couldn't even draw blood from her and they repeated said "strange" , "strange" and without any diagnosis we left with antibiotic (which wasn't appropriate for her age), meloxin and benadryl. She wasn't well and we took her to Emergency room in other medical center than to the specialist and after $1200.00, she is fine. If they couldn't treat her, employ incompetent people, why should I go back with my treasured animal to this facility? They think animals are disposable and as long as their bank accounts are supported, all is acceptable. I don't think so!!!! I wonder if any lawsuit going on in Florida against them.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information