2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

My 3 year old mini doxie that weighs 12 pounds jumped off our couch and landed wrong. We took her to the closest EMERGENCY VET which was the Banfield located within our Petsmart. She had X-rays and it was shown she had 2 breaks in her leg. The doctor stated she didn't want to put a splint on it because it would probably just fall off. She stated she would give her a shot for pain. She would send our information to the local surgeon at the emergency vet that does surgery and to WAIT for them to contact at the earliest Monday and this was Saturday afternoon at 3. We were given pain pills, an anti inflammatory to give to her, a $600 bill that came down to around $300 because I signed up for some wellness plan and have to pay $40 some a month.

My dog was still in a noticeable amount of pain so I called the emergency vet myself and was advised to bring her in right away. When we were seen there we were told by the DOCTOR there, there was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WE WERE NOT ADVISED TO COME IN RIGHT AWAY and SHE SHOULD HAVE HAD A SPLINT PUT ON. The doctor reviewed her paperwork and it appeared we were charged for a shot for the pain however the paperwork DID NOT reflect our dog ever receiving the shot. Another flag that went off was she was still in pain and not affected by the shot she supposedly received.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

My toy 4 yr old schnauzer was lethargic, not eating or drinking and I called the Magnolia branch where he is a regular patient since he was 1. They couldn't make a appoint for 4 days even though I told them he was sick. The following day he was in the back yard barking at the neighbors thru the fence so I was hoping he was feeling better. He had gotten real quiet so I walked to the back door and he was just standing by the side fence. When I opened the door and called him, he looked my way and just set down almost in a falling motion, and then laid down and couldn't get up. I walked to him and he looked at me but wouldn't get up so I bent down and picked him up and carried him inside the house and laid him on a blanket we keep on the sofa.

After maybe 2 minutes he finally lifted his head and moved a little but didn't try to get up. My wife had just gotten home and he is always excited to see her but he didn't even try to get off the sofa. After telling her what had happened I took him to the Magnolia Banfield clinic. After explaining to the vet tech what had happened they milled around and run behind the clinic doors several times asking the same basic questions and after wasting another 20 to 30 minutes told me to take him to their hospital facilities because they were very busy and they were concerned such a young dog was passing out. I told them again he didn't pass out, it was if he couldn't get up, but still they said to take him to one of their hospitals, which the nearest is some 15 miles away.

When I realized I wasn't getting anywhere, I told them they needed to take down the sign by the clinic door which said "Sick or injured patients would be treated first for everyone's safety." The vet tech again ask me if I needed directions and I told him there are 2 Emergency Pet hospitals within 1/2 mile either side of Banfield and also told them if they couldn't fulfill their commitments at the clinic, I did not trust them to fill their commitments at the hospital either. I said the only time you will ever see me again was when I come back to get my dog's information to transfer to a real veterinarian.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

We had sheltered 2 puppies and brought them here to be looked at, no shots, WE PAID OUT OF POCKET for medication AND the vet fee. We had agreed to do their plan because we didn't know how long we were going to have the pups. I called 3 days AFTER the appointment to cancel the plan because we found them homes. Banfield has been harassing us stating we owe them over $500 for A SINGLE VISIT!!!!! NO SHOTS JUST THEM TO LOOK AT OUR DOGS!!!!!! who were each under 6 weeks old. my husband paid a settlement fee today so they would leave us alone!!! I AM CONTACTING THE ATTORNEY GENERAL and I am pursing a lawsuit to get our money back! NEVER EVER EVER TAKE YOUR PET TO THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

After our we came home from work to our dog experiencing bloody diarrhea and vomit - I called my local Banfield and was told they could not get her in today because the doctors would be leaving in about an hour, but their next available was the next evening. We ended up taking her to the local Pet Hospital. Our bill total (including the emergency service, fecal sample, fluids, cerenia, and flagyl) was only $150. This same incident occurred with our other dog which we took to Banfield and paid over $300 after our monthly fees!

I called the next day to cancel my Banfield plan for both of my dogs (because it is a COMPLETE RIP OFF) and was told I would have to pay $500 to cancel because of services we used. What the hell am I paying a monthly fee for? I would not recommend Banfield as they try to sell you on services that 1. your pet may not need and 2. are extremely overpriced. HORRIBLE SERVICE and HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

They could literally kill your dog in front of you and you'd still have to pay the plan or the previously covered visits. My dog (7 year old Shi Tzu) passed away from a vehicle accident. A few months after he died I noticed the Banfield reoccurring charges on my checking account and decided it was time to cancel that. It is true you must get the 'secret corporate phone number' in order to get the plan to stop renewing automatically. There must have been something in the fine print of the plan that said it would have to be paid regardless of the health of the dog. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. This is a scam. This is a "bait and switch" scheme. Please investigate this consumer abuse, Consumer Affairs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

I brought my dog in for an emergency visit on 1/26/2015. I was told the dog had a cracked nail and was given an estimate of almost $300.00. I agreed and picked up my dog an hour later. She had a soft cast on that needed to be removed that Saturday, 1/31/2015. I was charged an additional office visit to remove the cast which was supposed to be included with the estimate.

The worst part of this is that the dog is no better and is suffering with the nail as she was before. I called Banfield this morning and asked if they could take another look since the nail is no better. They said they are in the business to make money and would charge me again! They seem to only be in the money-making business and do not care about the animals! After this experience I would never bring my animals to this institution!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

My husband and I divorced. He got the cat. He changed the account to his bank account then died a month later. Now Banfield wants me to pay over $200 for a cat I don't own. They are threatening to send me to collections stating the account was not transferable, yet they did transfer it prior to his death. DO Not get on their plan.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

They sign you up making you think that your pets' care is covered by making monthly payments. Once you do come in for check ups, there are always add-ons to that visit - culminating into an ADDITIONAL costs. They break it down by saying, "this med should cost $45 but you are getting it at a steal of $33." Example: Been paying the monthly fee of $29.99 EACH for my 3 pups. Their last check up and vaccine up to date visit, with all the "additions," was an extra $361.00! So what the hell am I paying the monthly fee for?

Prior to this visit, we hadn't been there in 3 months. Blindly we renewed, and I just called to cancel for financial reasons/changes and was told that since I am canceling 2 months into the 12 month plan, I have to pay $550.00 for the "savings" I received with the monthly check up. So basically, $24.99/month covers a visit IF they have nothing done to them. AWESOME, DO NOT DO THIS PLAN.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

Last Sunday morning when I woke up, I noticed my dog was not himself. I picked him up and felt that his entire body was hot. Immediately I knew something was wrong. I placed him on the sofa to get him to stand up properly. But he fell right back down. It was a bit scary. I immediately called my husband and asked was he fine with his final walk, my husband said he did not want to walk up the stairs. So from that conversation I called the Vet 1. They had no appts available.

Next I called Vet 2, they gave me an appt for 1.5 later. I took him in and told them everything that happened and I left nothing out. I told him that my dog would not stand. He was lame and weak and I noticed his left back leg would be up. I advise the assistant, that it seemed like it could've been his leg, but it doesn't not explain the fever. He took my dog temp and it was 103. He stated it was a fever. He took notes of everything he had eaten the day before and finally the doctor came in. When the doctor came in, I repeated every single thing as I had told the asst.

The Doctor stated "it could be a ligament or a tear." I immediately asked, "please explain the fever." He stated "Well yeah you're right." I advised him that my dog needs an x-ray and blood work to discover what is really going on. He stated "we will keep him for about 5 hours, because we are booked and so we can run test." I told him that's fine and I advised him that I prefer shots instead of pills for my dog because he do not take them, and plus he is not eating. He stated he will give him something for the fever but not for pain.

So after a long wait, the vet called me. He stated "I could give him a shot right now for fever, but we cannot give him anything for pain but pills." I questioned as to why and he never responded with a great reason why. So finally my husband and I went to pick him up and they gave us Jack at the checkout. Which was unusual because you would go in a room to discuss x-rays and blood work. So finally the doctor come out and we asked what's wrong, he stated he had torn ligament in the knee aka a football injury. I knew something was not right when he told me that and also that he was sending Jack home with pain pills. In which was dog was too lame to take anything down. So finally my husband and I get my dog home to walk him. He falls right to the ground with no strength to stand. He was 16 lbs that day.

The next day we noticed he is not moving or turning his head. It was almost like he was paralyzed. I told my co workers about his condition and that my dog was not getting better and they advised me that whenever a fever is showing, it means there is an infection and they do not know why he would suggest a knee injury. I advised my husband he needs to go back. I scheduled him appt the same day. We went and I complained about the horrible diagnose that vet gave my dog and that I just felt like it was a lie and not helpful. I told him I need to see my dog x-rays and his blood work. He never showed me the x-rays but explained the blood work that supposedly was 100% normal and that he would get the doctor in to discuss the x-rays.

She came and suggested a pancreatitis blood work, I advised her that I was ok with that. She took the test and came back with negative results and said that she will give him a shot for pain, I explained "are you able to do that" she advised me yes. I explained that the other doctor would not and that he would only prescribe pills for pain and that I needed to know what was on the xray. She explained there was nothing on there was would suggest a leg issue and that she could send it off. She adv me that she did not know what was wrong with my dog.

My dog was down a pound when we went in. This story is sad and hard to deal with. My dog is 4 years old and go every 6 months to get his shots and check up. I adv them that I was disappointed and hurt that they treated me and my dog this way and did not provided analysis around his illness and lied about the xrays. She provided my dog 3 other medications and gave him a shot for diarrhea.

My dog started walking outside but rests 100% of the time when he is in. I trust this vet that I pay my money to monthly to take care of him when he is sick not when he is well and they abused me and my dog. They are not great vets. They do not have a great team of people to support that research. They are like the McDonald of vet's. They will give you a quick fix but not the nutrients and healthy living you need for daily living. They are sad and pathetic and I will never suggest this plan again to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

Took in my cockatiel to get his beak trimmed earlier today and they told me it was slightly overgrown and they trimmed what they could. This was a lie. They did not trim it all which I did not realize until I got home and they still charged me for it. This place is shady and will lie to you to make a buck. Do not take your pets here! I drove over a half hour to get there and they didn't do anything but waste MONEY, TIME AND GAS.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

Banfield Newbury Park Sucks, Period! I took my dog in for vomiting and diarrhea on 12/22/14. My dog Roxy was prescribed medication for a parasite. There was no communication with the doctor. Just advised by staff to start meds when I get home. I never received documents of the diagnosis of my dog nor the documents of the medication subscribed.

They injected my dog with all types of fluids which when I got him home he had a size of a tennis ball full of fluid due to them over injecting my poor 13 1/2 year-old dog. I was up all night with him due to concerns of the inflammation of fluid located under his front leg. I called the emergency hospital and they said watch the size of fluid and if it gets bigger bring him in. Next day the fluid passed from his leg after drooling all night.

I called banfield in the morning and they said he should be fine but please bring him in if he doesn't do a bowel movement, which he did and I felt and trusted their opinion and they put him on the same meds for a parasite. My dog passed on 12/25/14. I know my message will never bring my dog back. But REALLY!!! If my dog is sick, you are the doctors, why release him???? Tell me what to look out for? Tell me to bring him to the emergency vet.

Mind you my dog was very sick in August 2014. And was never injected with so much fluids and was prescribed the same medication. I never authorized all of the injections that they induced on my poor dog on 12/22/2014. I only authorized the blood panel and the Giardia test. Which in August he did have a parasite and the medication made him better. I just feel as having insurance on my animal and trusting their opinions I did not receive that on 12/22/14. The doctor should have came out to talk to me as they were releasing him. And I should have received documented papers on what was going on and the medications and side effects. I received the papers in the mail in January. Really?? I called them to let them know my dog passed on Xmas morning. Then they sent me a reminder card for a check up after they knew my dog passed. I called them and said please take me off your mailing list.

The doctor finally called me on Jan 8th and said my dog did not have a parasite and he had inflammation of his colon. And I asked her why put him through all of this when he was nowhere as sick as he was in August. You did not induce him with all of these fluids in August and he was fine. Then after 12/22 he dies two days later. I am mad. And I miss my dog more than I can even express in words. I just do not want anyone to go through what I went through. Roxy was my best friend. I feel these doctors are not professional. I should have been able to speak to a doctor prior to her releasing him. Do not prolong his life to make $$$. Please be honest. Be doctors. Be professional. Then I had to call to cancel my insurance and they said I have a balance that is due?!?! Excuse me, but my dog passed. Have some compassion. I would never refer anyone to Banfield Pet Hospital. I miss and love you Roxy.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

My dog goes to the pad- urinates blood (a massive amount for a maltese). I call Banfield- ask for an appointment. They told me to do a drop appointment. Rush the dog in- get a call about the bill. I was told for some reason they stop charging my card so, I needed to repay a past due amount of $215.00. I replied “fine, pay the charge”. Proceeded with the medical treatment. (Nothing) The doctor stated that his blood count was a little low considering where the normal count was considered. X-Rays were fine, they couldn't really tell what was going on. Another call, X-Ray looked blurry so they were using specialist to read them. Another call, I will need to schedule an appointment with a hospital for an ultrasound. How much does that cost and why is this needed? They needed a understanding of what was happening.

Took him there, they gave him Vita K injections, schedule the ultrasound, gave a antibiotic, and appetite stimulant. Took Snowball home, prepared to bring him back in the morning, touched him- he was dead. Call Banfield to make arrangements. Pay that fee. Make the next call to corporate where I am informed I will need to pay for the wellness plan for the year. Which the representative said (I knew my dog was sick before I renewed the plan), insensitive to say the least. Snowball was only two years old.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

My 15-year old dog had a grooming appointment at PetSmart and then immediately after that appointment she had her comprehensive appointment at Banfield. She was her normal happy self prior to her appointments and on that day (01/08/15) the Vet that saw her said that she has a level 3 heart murmur and also gave her a required vaccination shot. Her quality of life declined from that point forward. She refused to eat, became extremely lethargic and her breathing became very labored.

I called Banfield 2 days in a row to voice my concerns. I was told to take her to an emergency center, because they are only her primary care and not equipped for emergencies. When my sweet dog began to cough up blood, I immediately took her to an emergency center. She was gravely ill and could not be saved. So less than 72 hours of her visit to PetSmart/Banfield, my precious dog was dead!!!! The emergency center was to call Banfield to inform them of this very heartbreaking outcome and yet NO ONE from Banfield called me with any condolences! To make matters even worse, I'm informed by the corporate office that if I cancel her wellness plan, then I am responsible to pay for her office visit on 01/08/15!

WHAT!!!!! I take my dog there for her visit (while her plan is still active), less then 72 hours later she is DEAD and they tell me that my choice is to cancel the plan and pay for that deadly visit or continue to make the monthly payments for the plan (until the next renewal date)! I am hoping that Consumer Affairs will look into this so-called policy that Banfield buries in the fine print! How can they make a consumer pay for a service that was performed while the policy was "active" at the time of service and not let you cancel a policy after your pet is deceased, unless you agree to pay their inflated charges?? I will spread the word, via social media, word of mouth to all friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. of their unscrupulous tactics! I hope that this post helps other pet parents to choose wisely when it comes to their pets care!!!! R.I.P. my sweet Lily!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

My husband and I first started taking our dogs to Banfield in Southern Pines, NC a year ago. We found out from another vet we took our dogs to that our Golden Retriever had an aggressive bone cancer. The medicine from our former vet was expensive so we wanted to have our vets office fax or call 1800 pet Med. They said "No we don't have time." The same girl went on to keep talking to her co workers about what they were making for dinner! Our former Vet's office in CO were very accommodating to fax Rx's for our dogs to 800 pet Meds!

We switched to Banfield Vet immediately. Banfield even matched 1 800 pet Meds prices!!!! Then when we needed to bring our Golden Retriever into because of ailments due to her cancer they were once again accommodating. 9 months later our Golden Retriever Tess was in continuous pain and could barely walk, the Vets and staff at Banfield in Southern Pines opened up the back door to let us back our car up to the back door to transport our very sick and disabled hairy daughter to the vet to be put out of her misery. The staff went out of their way to assist us with our dog during this heartbreaking time. We also received a sympathy card signed by staff members within days of having to put our dog down.

Our experience with Banfield vets has been a positive one even during that difficult time. We will continue to take our dogs to Banfield vets in Southern Pines, NC.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

This was sold as a plan where we pay up front and all regular services are covered under a monthly fee. When we brought my senior cat in for checkup/teeth cleaning, were told that her condition made going under anesthetic risky. So we opted not to get the teeth cleaned. But they claimed the cleaning is part of a package along with lab tests, so by not getting the cleaning they were charging us for the lab tests. So fewer services = cash out of pocket. It took some screaming for them to check with corporate HQ to get that fee waived. I just canceled the plan and now they want me to pay for the balance of those services because my payments for the plan year didn't cover all of those. So it's not an health insurance type policy - it's a pre-pay plan. However, they refused to refund me payments on another cat that DIDN'T use any services.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I called to cancel both dogs with banfield and was told that each service to stop service is 800 dollars. So that's 1600 to cancel my service but however when I take my dogs to banfield it cost me each and every time 50-100 more. Why if I am disposed to be saving money, where am I saving it at? They don't pay for anything but the dogs shots. I pay for their tick and flea meds, even the pill pockets to put benadryl in? Really, I pay for the dogs to have nails cut and poor Brutties has had really nothing done to him at all, a couple shots. This place is a rip off!!! And as far as kindness, well on a different note I should of cancelled my service the first time. These people are rude.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I bring my two year old dog to the Plymouth, MA location and have done so since he was a puppy. Both vets at this location are thorough and provide excellent care to my dog and are always patient with both of us. They answer all of my questions and concerns. I have the wellness plan as well and have been grateful for it as I can bring him in anytime I have a concern and do not have to be concerned with paying for an office visit. The entire staff is highly professional and extremely compassionate to the animals.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

Most of their test are at least if not more than the average vet. For example, my cat required an echocardiogram. Banfield wanted to charge $350, but the ASPCA facility where he was adopted charged only $50. Any blood tests at Banfield seem to run at least 50% higher than the ASPCA.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

On 1-2-2015 at 6 p.m. our 7yr old Jack Russell snoopy had to be put down. My husband and myself have never, ever, had a experience such as this. We had less that one minute to say goodbye to our baby. The doctor gave him three shots, bam! 123, he was gone. We wanted to talk to him, kiss him and tell him how much we loved him, let him know how much joy he brought us. No way would I ever return to Banfield. Stay away if you truly love your pet!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

I have been with Banfield Pet Clinic, shamefully, for 2-3 years. I have been trying for over two weeks to cancel and I cannot get a hold of anyone. They've taken two automatically transferred payments. I am livid. I've called multiple times and have waited on hold for at least ten minutes each time. I have sent three emails. The last email, I'm embarrassed to admit, I lost my cool. Still no response. The plan is a horrible scam. Please take my review as advice and do not sign your pets up for this "pet insurance."

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

Took my mom's dog in today. She passed away last week. Dog is 12+ years old. Banfield is his vet all records are here. He has heart problems with cough, skin issues and chronic ear problems. Very heavy. Two techs refused to help me. I was told to take him to the humane society. Even though they refused to clean his teeth two years ago because his heart was too bad. I wanted to be with him but now will not be able to.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

I was on the wellness plan and took my dog in to this facility in May 2014, and I was apparently "renewed" for another 12 months. My credit card had to be replaced in June 2014, so payments stopped. I got no bill and was contacted by a collection agency demanding over $400 in December 2014. I had to pay the full year by phone to their collection people. I was not given the remaining months I had paid for! I have paid through April 2015 and I was informed by Banfield that I CANNOT use the plan!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

SO my dog gets into my father-in-law’s pills. I call Banfield Pet Hospital, who are the ones inside "Petsmart". This is the WORSE place to have any kind of wellness plan as they call it. My dog is 1 year and 2 months old. I was happy with their service until today. She found my father-in-law bladder control pills. She got a hold of at least one pill. I call the vet, at Banfield pet hospital in Corpus Christi... and what am I told??? To take her to another pet hospital because they do not do that there! What is the good of having insurance on your dog if you can NOT use it when an emergency arrives?? I called to cancel and what am I told? That the recent "Wellness" plan test she had done I have to pay IN FULL, NOW... that I have an emergency before I can cancel this idiotic plan. So I just finished paying $194 to be able to cancel this so-called pet wellness plan. Even if the "plan" didn't cover it, why would I want to take my precious dog to an unknown vet?? I am so beyond mad about this people and the sham they run. UHHHHHGG.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

This is concerning Banfield Vet in Alabaster Al. We had been taking our miniature schnauzer to Banfield for 5 years, the last 2 years we have not had a regular vet, as they keep changing. In September 2014, I took my dog to see the vet for his bad breath, the Dr didn't look at my dog except to say that I needed to brush their teeth, then was told to try the Arm & Hammer breath freshener in my dog's water bowl. The smell has never gone away, so December 17, we took my dog back to Banfield because we now noticed a large lump on the roof of his mouth. The Dr walks in, a different one from the Trussville, AL office, Dr ** (?), she proceeds to just try and pick up my dog, without letting him get to know her or him. He backs away, I pick him up, put him on the table, the Dr tells me I am not qualified to hold his head while she looks at his mouth and needs to take him to the back. She leaves with my dog, and then returns, to tell my husband and I that she needs to do surgery on my dog to remove this "growth" as it looks to be cancer, and send it off for analysis, and then starts to speak to us about chemo and where is the best place to get it. I then stop her and say, "I'm sorry, WHAT IS YOUR NAME???"

This woman has never even introduced herself to us, but wants to cut on my dog and put him to sleep!!!! REALLY!! So then we go to the front desk to make an appointment, the day we choose is booked up with other Mouth Mass Removals from this same ignorant Dr. that didn't seem right to me. So I contacted another vet clinic for a second opinion, the "mass" on the roof of his mouth is normal, it is just inflamed, as for the bad breath, my dog has had an infection behind his front teeth since SEPTEMBER!! Which is now on antibiotics for, and has cleared up the breath, but now may loose his 2 front teeth from the infection that I was told to freshen his breath with a liquid in his water. These people are the most incompetent group of individuals I have ever seen, and this woman calls herself a Dr? She needs her license pulled, because I can bet you those other mass removals, were unnecessary, just as mine would have been. This is completely unprofessional, and my dog will NEVER grace Banfield with his presence again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

I've never written a bad review for any company, but I feel I have to share this. I wanted to cancel our puppy plan after the first year but was talked into renewing for another year with the promise that I could cancel any time without any further financial obligation. Now, 6 months later, I just tried to cancel and was told I have to finish out the rest of the year in installments or pay it in full. Another $203.70. Totally feel like I was duped. The puppy plan was okay because of the amount of appointments and vaccinations, but I would not waste your dollars with the adult plan. Especially when promised you can try it now and cancel at any time later. Total dishonesty.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

Took cat to Banfield Hospital for grinding teeth and heavy breathing. The veterinarian took an x-ray and said she had a collapsed lung and congestive heart failure or cancer... She needed an oxygen tent for $900 or to be euthanize. She wouldn't make until the next day. Took her to two other veterinarians who said she had a mild case of CHF and why wasn't she treated with medication. The Banfield vet basically suggested that my cat be put down right then and there, no hope.. My cat is being treated with medications now, that was 3 1/2 weeks ago..

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

Look I don't judge or do blame game. That vet was so cold and don't suggest a flea med when he was so weak. I know that killed him. Your vet killed my cat.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

On October this year 2014, my dog got sick - stop eating. So I carry my small dog in to this hospital. To find out what was going on with him. They claim they did blood work on him and he had a gastrointestinal disorders. Well they gave me his meds. But they were telling me it would be better if I would get the wellness plan. With me being discombobulate, they took advantage of that. I just want my dog to get well. Needless to say I carry him home and yes I got the well plan. Big mistake. Spend a $178.55 on the bill. Took my dog home giving him his medicine. Going by the direction that was on the pill bottles. Well the next morning his health turn for the worst. Wrap him up, carry him back in the hospital. They took forever to get someone in there to see him so I ask someone to please come see what is wrong with my dog. She come back and said she call the doctor that was on call the day before. So she gave him a parvo test. And she advice me to give him some more medicine and to give him some more pills and to go to the store and give him some Pedialyte. The bill was $212.14.

I did as they said, my dog die within 2 hours after leaving them. I call back to tell them that he had passed and she said they were sorry. And now they sending me a bill. The dog die. Really you don't keep paying for insurance when your love one die. Never carry your pet there. And didn't even send me a sympathy card.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

We purchased the Optimum Wellness Plan for our puggle and took her in for yearly shots and dental cleanings per the plans recommendations. When she started to urinate blood one day, we took her in for a visit and she was diagnosed with a UTI and they sold us antibiotics and a urine screen. She seemed to do better over the next few days but the UTI came back a few weeks later. We repeated this cycle and her symptoms would go away for a while but always return. We purchased a cleaning solution for her, more antibiotics, and urine screens at each visit. The time between flair ups began to get shorter so after over a year of this, we took our dog to another vet along with all medical records. The vet told us that our dog was being prescribed less than half of the strength of antibiotic that she should have been getting so basically they would make her symptoms go away temporarily but never resolve the actual issue. We were at the point where we were about to have a scan and possibly surgery.

The new vet prescribed the correct dose and our dog has never had this issue again. It has been over a year! I am fairly certain since it was always a different vet treating her at Banfield that they were purposely giving her a dose too low to ensure that we would return for more medication, scans, and urine screens. I would never return to this clinic for any reason!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

Banfield Pet Hospital: They are nice to your pet and courteous to your face but just try and cancel your Wellness Plan, OMFG!!! First off, you can't cancel at the facility. You can't cancel online. You have to somehow get the "secret telephone number" and once you get the number they put you on hold for about 10 minutes; When I finally got hold of a "live" person she DEMANDED I provide a reason for cancelling my plan; which, by the way AUTO-RENEWS EVERY YEAR" unless you cancel the plan on the phone. I told her that I simply didn't want to renew the plan. She informed me that I had to provide her with a "VALID REASON" for cancelling. I had to tell her that I couldn't afford the plan. I make over 60K a year but she said the plan would run in perpetuity forever unless I gave her a VALID REASON for cancelling. STAY AWAY from this predatory, unethical company. They over inflate their charges and still charge over $100.00 over and above the plan every time you take your pet in to be seen.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information