3.49/5
Based on 1,069 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Banfield Pet Hospital

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

They spent most of the time trying to pressure me into buying their pet health plan! After saying I am not buying this for the 13th time, I told her stop or I am leaving. I will never go back.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

I adopted a cat. Brought him home and he didn't eat for 2 days. I took him to Banfield...they said he had a cold and couldn't smell anything. Therefore he wouldn't eat. They gave him a antibiotic shot and fluids. 2 days later he still was not eating. I took him to another vet where they did bloodwork. Poor kitty had a small liver and most blood levels were very very far from normal. The vet put him on steroids, gave him a stronger antibiotic, and instructed me to syringe feed him. 2 days later he was eating in his own and playing. Banfield almost killed my cat from lack of testing and misdiagnosing. I highly suggest no men ever go there. Better yet, it should be shut down. And they charged me 200.00 for the antibiotic and fluids. DO NOT GO TO BANFIELD if you want your pet to be healthy.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

About 6 months ago, I found a cat outside my apartment. It was infested with fleas but I decided I wanted to take it in. At that point I didn't know if it had any diseases or not and I had other animals so I went to get the cat checked out and I took it to Banfield Pet Hospital in Petsmart. They told us she was a 3-5 year old unspayed female. They even checked to make sure she wasn't pregnant, she had no diseases. So I brought her into my home and she adapted perfectly.

Well I got my 2 Yorkies fixed a few days ago and I also took her to get fixed. When I went to pick them up, I was notified that the cat I thought was a 3-5 year old, unspayed female was actually an 8-10 year old neutered male! I was furious. For 6 months we thought this was a young female and are now told it's a male. I'm glad it wasn't that serious of a problem. But I will NEVER take any of my animals back to that place. I would advise everyone else to not take your pets there. If they can't tell the sex of an animal, what else don't they know?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

3 visits to take my dog who was shaking constantly and then went into a seizure like stare/drooling and yelping out loud and little chest pounding... Was told he may have a bad neck/back cause Dachshunds have that issue. Unfortunately, he never had his issues there. As soon as we would get home they would start up again. Hardly wanted to eat. Given pain pills and anti-inflammatory. Still crying out loud. Charged me 2x, $34 each time they took his blood pressure! Are you kidding? Upgraded the insurance plan from basic $26.95 to the 2rs level if $42.95 monthly so his teeth cleaning and the most important, his X-rays that he needed... Now they tell me it's $115.00 for each time to follow up!? And $80 more for the specialist to read X-rays cause they don't know what spot in chest is... Now they tell me that 4-5 seizures a day can give my sweet boy brain damage and his back could get better but at some point if he knocks his neck out of whack he could be paralyzed. But if he has another seizure take him to BluePearl ER. And now I'm stuck with an entire year of the upgraded insurance plan... Check other places.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2014

I took my cat Lucy to be spayed about 2 years ago to the Banfield near me in Framingham. We had intended to breed her, but couldn't find a suitable mate and at 2 years old, her ovaries became infected, leaving us no choice but to have her spayed. Since Banfield originally was her vet, we went back expecting the same great service. Once evaluated, we were given the cost of the procedure. The vet added that if the infection was severe, they would have to charge extra because the tissue was infected and he had to make sure it was all removed and they had to be careful not to burst the ovaries. We agreed, and proceeded. When we got the bill, we found that he did indeed charge us extra fee (about $150-$200). We paid and left.

About 2-3 months later, Lucy began new heat cycles. We went back to the vet twice and each time we were told either "Her body is used to the heat cycles and it will stop soon" or "Spaying doesn't stop the heat cycle". It only got worse. She began spraying more often, and in more places. After a year and a half, we decided to get a second opinion. A quick bout of antibiotics ruled out infection, and an expensive trip to a specialist revealed (via ultrasound) that there was still a piece of ovary left inside her. I called Banfield twice to ask if they would fix it, considering I already paid the extra to have it done right the first time, but still have not heard back from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

I purchased the Wellness Plan for the purpose of getting my puppy spayed. I set up the first appointment, took her in, and they called at three in the afternoon and told me her liver ATL was elevated at 100 (which I later read that is in the normal range) and they could not do the surgery. Later I found out they never did a blood test, just put it in the notes. They could not produce the test when I did change Vets. They put her on medication for a month and then I was to bring her in. I got a call two weeks before her next appointment for spaying telling me they were booked and could I choose another day. I told them I had this appointment for a month, and then I asked why they had not tested her again to make sure her liver was ok. They said I could make an appointment and have her blood tested. I did and they said they would call me that evening and let me know.

They did not call so I called the next day. I talked to a Technician who told me her liver was fine but now her red and white blood cell count was very low and I would now need to talk to the Veterinarian that was there that day but the machine that did the blood tests needed to be serviced (call was recorded). The Veterinarian never called back, but I called twice and finally talked to him. He also told me her red and white blood cell count was extremely low and proceeded to tell me that she needed to be put on a high protein diet and he had the medication. If that didn't work that they would need to send her to a specialist because she probably had auto immune disease (call was recorded).

I didn't wait to see if that was the case. I called another Veterinarian who then sent her blood out to a certified laboratory. Her blood work came back and she is fine so it was Banfield’s machine that was off. When I called to cancel the plan I was told I would need to pay $600 for tests and one shot. The tests were 3 times deworming, a booster shot and the one blood test. I can't tell you that you should run away from them. I don't know why PetSmart lets them rent space. I won't shop there now because of them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

They never helped my dog! They only gave her antibiotics which costed hundreds of dollars, led her to getting a spinal infection and they wouldn't help her until she collapsed on their floor. Whenever we came in they would charge us for something new though we had a premium wellness plan. Now that we have not been back in 2 years they refuse to give us a refund so we had to go to the bank and stop them from being able to withdraw any money from the account. My dog was completely paralyzed, crying all day and all night for 3 months. She almost died due to them. One of the employees admitted that the more medicines like the antibiotics they gave to my dog are sold then the doctors get a raise. Is that really wellness?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2014

I had signed up for a wellness plan at the Banfield hospital in Paramus, NJ and for the past year every time I go for an appointment their service is not up to par. Over 1 hr wait time and staff does not seemed to care about the pets. Therefore, I'd requested a cancellation of my plan so the person at the hospital rudely provided a phone number to call. When I called the # it was an invalid # so I searched their site and I sent 3 unanswered messages and I have attempted to call them directly. The 1st call had me on hold for over 20 mins at which point their system offered to call me back. They never did so I called back and I am now on hold for over 40 minutes.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2014

My mom recently was given a puppy, we went to Banfield to sign up for their wellness plan. I have only made 1 payment as we just signed up. Her dog Pookie passed away on 09/02/14, I reached out to Banfield to inform them so I can cancel the plan. I was told I have to pay 8 months worth of services before I can cancel!! Really, I still have to pay although the puppy has passed? That was never explained to me when signing up, just all the great benefits!! Maybe I should have asked about worst case scenarios but really? Who would even think about their puppy dying. Ridiculous!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

I have had several of my dogs on the Banfield pet packages for puppy and older dog at the Banfield in Georgia. I lost one to cancer that was 8 years old that I first brought in because of a concern of her wetting our bed which was very unusual. Different medicines were prescribed in which none worked for her bladder. After more money and more frustration, we later found out when symptoms were really bad that she has an abnormal mass in her abdomen which was cancer. This was why we got the Banfield package for her because they said we can save money for all the tests we were going to have to run on her. Which a lot of it was not covered under it. All that money wasted on things that were not helping her to find out it was cancer and had to have her put down.

I brought her in for a bad seizure and told them I wanted her to live out the last of her life at home. They tried to get me to keep her over night hooked to IV which would cost me a few hundred dollars instead of sending me home with meds for the seizures. While we were deciding, she had more hard seizures and they came out to admit that she needs to be put down now.

We now purchased a puppy that has possibly a brain tumor. We already took it to one vet and he said most likely brain tumor and that the pup should be put down. At Banfield today we got a new young vet who seemed to be just out of school that helped us. We told her we already went to one vet who owned his own clinic and we were seeking a 2nd opinion in a possible small claims law suit against the breeder of the puppy. I asked her if she could document her findings and what she believes is going on. She happen to throw in her notes (that I will be taking to court,) that she mentioned about trying these medications to see if it would help and that I refused it. As if she was putting me on a guilt trip or shaming me for turning it down at that moment to think about it and wrote it on my documents that she knew I would be taking to court over the puppy.

I already have a 3rd opinion set up from another vet and didn't want to invest more money into medication that may do no good like my previous experience I had with my 8 year old dog that later was discovered had cancer. I had stopped going to Banfield since then because of those reasons and decided to try again to be shamed into purchasing medications that may not help as there was no testing done to know if those medications would help at all. An experienced older vet that owns his own clinic says that the chances of him surviving is very slim at 5%. This young vet seems to want me to try all kinds of treatments, medications, MRI, CT scans etc. after also mentioning to me that she also suggested putting him down because of his quality of life. Make any sense?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

My cat is 2 years young and never had problems. I took her to Banfield Rockville because she hadn't eaten, drunk, urinated nor had a BM in 2 days. My suspicion was constipation thus I asked for a laxative. The vet ordered blood tests for $400, nothing blood work was fine. I took my cat home, feed her water and cream (against doctors orders because they make more money if they give her fluids via IV) and she started urinating. Next the vet wanted to take x-rays to find out what caused the possible bowel obstruction and other tests... again $400.

Okay now we knew my cat had constipation (great, that's what I said from the beginning) and they administered something to empty her bowels. I take her home. She eats, drinks, walks around and is becoming her old self again. Doc scares me with possible causes and diseases my cat could have and wants her to come back next day for ultrasound. I reluctantly go back, pay another $240 - US comes back negative. Vet suggests it could be a parasite that can infect humans and wants another test for $150. I refuse, take my cat half worried and totally fed up.

As it turns out my cat is fine, no further problems. It was just a simple constipation that according to my friend I could have fixed by giving my cat pumpkin puree as a natural laxative for less than $5 rather than wasting $1,000, taking off time from work and worrying about my cat dying or needing surgery which would have cost me another $1,000. I will never spend another dollar at Banfield!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

My buddy, since he was 7 weeks old, now 12 yrs. old, died during the night, last night, September 3, 2014. I had given him one Clavamox at 11 am and another one at 11 pm last night. Mardi GRAS had a heart murmur, that according to Banfield, registered at a 4, on a scale of 1- 6. On August 12, 2014, x-rays were taken. Results - not in heart failure. EKG Results were that both ventricles were enlarged, with the left one working harder than it should. Trachea has narrowing, as a result of the heart murmur. No fluids, though. On August 16, 2014, Mardi GRAS spent a week in a kennel, picking him up on Monday, August 25, 2014. He seemed fine. Then, he started with the coughing/hacking. On 8/28/14, I took him back to Banfield, at which time the doctor diagnosed kennel cough and prescribed Clavamox and cough syrup. They did blood work and said that Mardi was anemic.

I returned on Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014 to get the Clavamox. Administered one at 11 am and one at 11 pm that night, which would be last night. I had been giving him syrup to coat his throat with the hope that any discomfort from coughing would be eased and he would start eating again, to no avail. I simply want to know what happened, given the fact that the doctor at Banfield claimed no issues after the blood work, the EKG, the x-ray.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2014

I took my dog Harley to Banfield Vet for treatment of a skin rash. That was almost 2 years ago. The Vet said that we would need to do a skin culture and send off to find out what it was sensitive to so they could prescribe the appropriate antibiotic and care. That cost me a whopping $200+ once you add the office visit and other things together. Once the cultures came back a week later, it was an additional $100+ for the office visit and meds to clear it up. Well it worked but, now almost 2 years later, he has been through multiple courses of the meds to clear it up. It continues to recur. Now, after all of that, I took him back again for the same thing again, put on a regimen of meds again, and told we needed to do Allergy testing. Once the blood was drawn and he was done again, we left there with another hefty $354 bill. I love my dog and will do anything for him to get better but I must say, that this clinic just keeps up charging for everything. It doesn't cost this much for a human to go to the doctor. Not to mention the wait time.

If you have an appointment of 2:30 be ready to wait an additional hour to be seen. Every appointment that I have had has been anywhere from 30-60 minutes behind before we were actually ever seen. Then they are only in with you for a maximum of 10 minutes. Ridiculous. What is the point of appointments if the Vet cannot see the pet when scheduled. To summarize this: #1-Overpriced #2-Rushed #3-No need for an appointment. You could be seen faster if you just walk in. #4-I feel the Vets just guess what's wrong and charge for expensive tests whether needed or not. #5-Upselling or upcharging of unnecessary services or items or health packages. If I had the package, it would only have saved me $9.00 for the visit. Really? Wow, but it would cost me a lot more to pay them monthly fees. Ripoff. I will continue Harley on this course and hope he gets better this time but afterwards, we are in search of a real Vet Clinic to insure the health of my dog.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

I had brought in my black domestic cat that had gotten fleas 2 months ago. Treated with frontline as was done always, which started at the proper age and weight. Since the fleas were biting him up badly, from his insistent scratching his skin became very flaky and he was pulling clumps of hair. I took him to BANFIELD in fremont, ca for a dr's visit to address the skin issue. The dr. had said that he would need a shot of convenia a antibiotic which he has had before with no problems, a benadryl type shot and then the dr said my cat should also have a comfortis pill for fleas. Thinking the dr knew what would be best, I said ok. I didn't realize till after the fact that he never had comfortis pill before. He always used frontline and that always worked before. This dr apparently just started about a month ago replacing my regular vet.

My issue is why would the dr recommend a more expensive flea treatment when the current one was working. I brought him in for a skin problem not for flea treatment. My cat wasn't due for another topical for another 10 days. So was the flea pill really necessary? Long story short, my cat had his pill and injections at 5:30 pm on aug 31, 2014. My healthy no issue black kitty was barely 8 yrs old and he passed @ 3:15 am on sept 1, 2014. I will miss him always. Apparently after doing some research, pfizer's website said that convenia should NOT be administered without a culture or some test being done on affected areas. Test was not done. Shot was still given without tests being performed. Also, the one of the side effects from both the convenia and comfortis is death. The dr only disclosed that only his liver and kidneys would be affected if administered too much, that was it.

So I look at this like this. The vet made an extra 10 bucks or so off of me and robbed me of my cat and my cat's remaining years. When confronting the dr about these side affects that she had failed to mention, she had said that she, the dr and banfield always administer convenia without any tests being done. The dr said that they never had a problem before. My response was it only takes 1 and there are hundreds of blogs and forums that state that convenia and comfortis are dangerous to dogs and cats and especially cats. She said the internet is not trustworthy and there is a lot of bad info on the web. I just looked at her and said that there is also a lot of good info on the web too and the specific side effects are listed on the med's leaflets from the manufacturer. She didn't have a response to that other than she had a long conversation with her chief of staff to make sure that she didn't do anything wrong. Why would she have to do that unless she had suspected that she did? Such as recommending a flea treatment which costs more and wasn't needed and was never given to my cat in the past.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2014

Under-qualified, under-trained, under-paid staff misrepresenting products/services and constantly try to push you to spend unnecessary money! I have had the wellness plans for both our pets for over 8 years because I thought it was the right thing to do. Over the recent years I've noticed more RED FLAGS than I'd like; I feel like I'm in a Russian Airport. I recently asked a "pet nurse" how many CVTs they had on staff. She told me that "Pet Nurses" and CVTs are "basically the same." Um, NO. This is severe misrepresentation of product and false advertising, which is FRAUD. Banfield hires non-experienced kids and trains them to be Pet Nurses by making them watch videos. A Certified Veterinary Technician has completed a 2 year degree (should be from a Regionally-accredited school, NOT a Nationally-accredited!!) and passed a rigorous, National Certification Exam.

I recently took a position where I work closely with several Veterinarians. When I mentioned my recent observations at my Banfield, their jaws dropped. This week, the Vet at Banfield advised they needed to sedate both of my pets so they could do their comprehensive exam. JUST AN EXAM! They said it was needed cause both were so agitated. Well, if you had *good* CVTs there on staff, rather than Pet Nurses, you'd have someone trained and confident in their Restraining skills. Banfield is: Money-hungry, Undertrained, Underpaid, Lacks confidence. Lacks ability, technology, equipment and supplies to treat animals properly. They just want you to get in, hurry up, buy what they're selling and get out. You should NOT need to sedate an old pet (that isn't feral, isn't injured) just to do an exam. Turns out the really good CVTs do NOT have to work at Banfield. They work at a "real clinic."

Original review: Aug. 29, 2014

The first time I went to Banfield I had my brand new puppy and she needed fixed. They did a fine job, no complaints there, but she had puked a little when I got her home. So the vet told me to let them know if there were any complications afterward, so I brought her in just to be safe. The vet told me that she needed a hydration treatment, bloodwork, and x-rays. They told me it would be thousands of dollars. I didn't have that kind of money so I cried! I didn't want my dog to be sick but what could I do? When the vet saw me crying she told me to take her home and give her some white rice and boiled chicken and see if she got any better, and of course, she was fine! The last time I went to them my dog had hives and they told me it would also cost thousands of dollars, and I cried again, they told me she could go into shock if I didn't come up with the money. I took her home and gave her Benadryl because that's what I read on the internet, and she was fine. The nerve of them to play on your emotions disgusts me. You trust them and they take advantage of you because you have no idea what to do.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2014

DO NOT BRING YOUR PET TO THIS CLINIC! They draw you in with this super inexpensive plan, then try to pawn off their overpriced meds and assorted ear washes etc. for top dollar $$$. I mean really, a $29.95 bottle or ear wash for a 1 pb puppy?? I walked over to aisle 3 of PetSmart and purchased one for $9.95. READ YOUR PAPERWORK before checkout. My pup had contagious intestinal parasites and they never told me, yet I looked over my paperwork AFTER I took my pup to a different Vet for a second opinion as to why his stool is loose and he seems to always be in pain! She said he tested positive to his fecal exam for parasites! Why didn't Banfield catch this and why did they include it in my paperwork stating that they gave me meds for my 8week old pup? They didn't! I'm not exactly sure how they are getting away with this scam, but BEWARE!!!! Oh and PS... I also caught the parasite because it can be passed along to humans! I have to wait up to 10 days to see if my kids also caught the parasite! Thanks Banfield!!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

DO NOT USE THIS PLAN. The prices of regular services are inflated so much that if you use any services then something happens to pet or you sell it, you will be paying the entire 400 dollars for plan. IT IS A SCAM. I had a pet and brought him for 3 visits of the 9 on my plan. I sold the pet but had to pay the entire bill. Read the small print of yearly contract. You pay the lesser of the plan total or services used retail value. They jack the retail value up so high of their services that they always get the full amount of plan. Very unfair business practice. Several complaints at BBB including mine.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2014

Please look somewhere else for pet care. Terrible service! Not interested in listening to concerns and health history. Only interested in unnecessary services to pay for the cost of their overhead instead of providing care and comfort to an acute health problem.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

Dog w/UTI & positive for crystals/urine. I fed him asparagus for crystals. I refused $500 Banfield tests. Vet was completely oppositional. No blood in his urine now was irrelevant. Purchase monthly plan & nothing they recommend is optional.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

I brought my 17-year-old cat into Banfield in Canoga Park, California for ear mites. They gave a free exam. They charged me $62.12 for ear mite medicine. They took my cat in the back room and did not give me the unused portion of the med. When they returned my cat to me, he seemed off. I took him home after paying the outrageous price. He began sneezing in sets of 4 over and over again. Later that night, he started bleeding from his nose in streams. After 4 hours, he stopped bleeding. He stopped eating so we took him to a different vet who gave him meds and ran a multiple of tests costing over $1000, but found nothing. He developed swelling on his left side. He is still sneezing but not as much and he is not bleeding. He is also eating. I called the Banfield in Canoga Park and complained. They told me that they would reorder the ear mite meds they put in my cat's ears. I told them that I want a full refund. The receptionist told me that I would need to speak to the manager who is on vacation. She told me that she will have the manager call me back. That was one month ago!

My husband is a Disabled Veteran with Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and would have been devastated if the cat died. I am disabled as well. We are on a very limited fixed budget and if wasn't for our wonderful friend we would never have been able to save our cat's life.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2014

I went here the day my guinea pig got sick. They said everything was fine. He just had to eat more so I fed him more that night. The next day, he died. I was devastated and so upset, I spent so much money trying to save my guinea pig I love. The next day, he died. The vets had no idea what they were talking about and kept urging me to spend more for unnecessary treatment.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

My dog has been on the wellness plan with Banfield since she was 8 weeks old. She is now 10 months old. We had an accident and the dog needed immediate surgery that would cost over $1000. I did not have the money to pay and Banfield does not work out a payment plan with you. Because the dog needed the surgery immediately, I had no other choice but to give her to a rescue that would perform the surgery. I had to give up my dog to save her life. My lesson that I learned through this experience is that Banfield (the company) is all about the money. I called around to see if I could get her the surgery on a payment plan from other veterinarians but the vets told me that they only do emergency payment plans for current patients. Therefore, get established with a vet that will be caring for your pet during a time of emergency.

Don't go with Banfield that is all about the dollar. The doctors are wonderful and I know they wanted to help but it was out of their hands. Unless you are capable of coming up with a lot of money at the last minute, then Banfield is right for you. But, if you live on a budget, just pray nothing happens to your animal because they will not work with you on a payment plan no matter how long you have been affiliated with them. The wellness plan is no good - doesn't really have any real benefits to it.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

The wellness plan that we had for our dog did not cover anything. Ok, we had unlimited visits but would not cover anything else. The cost we paid for the year was more than taking him to another vet per visit. We had to pay out of pocket for services at another vet for services that was supposed to be covered at Banfield. It's a waste of money and time. Better vet plans out there for the consumers. Do the research...

Original review: Aug. 15, 2014

Banfield, Manahawkin NJ - First off, the vet/private owner never shook our hands or introduced himself! My Puppy had fleas and worms, and we brought him there to get de-wormed and to get a refund for our unopened, faulty flea product! Over the phone, the secretary told me that if we were dissatisfied with the product we could return it. The Dr. was rude and raised his voice many times during our visit. Told me and my father that we were "playing games"! My puppies health is not a game.. and we were simply trying to get him healthy! I told him what his secretary told me, he told me he didn't believe me and actually made her come form the front desk into the exam room, but then he just walked away and didn't even witness what her and I spoke about!

There was no compassion or care for my Puppy! I asked to see someone else and he told me he was the boss. I called corporate since his actions make Banfield look bad and within a short time the same man I had a problem with called me back to tell me he got the message about my complaint. The customers always right... and you just lost our business, and so did the Petsmart!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2014

We arrived at our appointment early. Since no one else was on time they took us right in. The vet tech arrived in the room and explained that the receptionist should have entered our dog's shot record into the system. The vet tech asked if our dog was neutered, we stated that he was and his paper from the vet that neutered him was in his records that she NEVER even looked at and she proceeded to actually feel the dogs empty sac because she didn't believe he was neutered. Wow what a first impression! So we started talking about the health of our dog. Our dog was a rescue that we had rescued 6 weeks before this day. When we rescued him you could see every bone in his body. At this point he had put some weight on but I thought he should gain some more weight.

The vet tech told us that our dog looked good. She explained how since he is a GSD mix she liked them on the thin side so he didn't have any other medical issues like hip dysplasia etc. In our dog's records he had also had a 9-way distemper shot that was bought at central tractor and the vet tech told us those shots are only water and have no value. I was a little in shock. By this point we had no idea that a licensed vet would even come into the room. Well the vet tech took our dog out to test him for heartworms and parasites etc. She then brought him back into the room.

After a few moments a vet appeared. The vet had told us the TOTAL OPPOSITE of what the vet tech said. He stated our dog's body condition was a 3 not a 5 like the vet tech had stated. He needed to gain weight just like I had expressed. The vet tech told us in 3 months to wean him to dog food and off puppy food and the vet told us to start him on dog food now because the puppy food is too rich for his system. The whole appt. was very displeasing. We will not be returning to them any time in the future. Apparently their vet tech thinks she's a vet and should watch her words before she speaks them. I have never been in a situation like that where there is so much opposition.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

On Sunday June 22, 2014, my dog Koda was rushed to Banfield while having a horrible seizure. She was turned away because the Doctor was busy treating a bleeding dog. I rushed her to another Vet in town. She had been seizing for over 10 minutes. She had to be put down later that day. I am horrified at the lack of response and refusing to help my dog in a traumatic situation. I expected as a member for over 10 years, for Banfield to be loyal to me and my beloved dog. I am very sad for the loss of my dog and the negligent and unethical way this was handled.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

I have used the Banfield clinic for over 11 years (I currently have 10 pets) and was very happy. However, during the last year the insane turnover rate with the staff and vets had me concerned. Here are the incidents that happened in the last few weeks that have caused me to write the review in the hopes that no one will ever take another animal to any Banfield clinic.

1. I had a 20 yr old cat who was dying of cancer. I called to bring her in to be euthanized...and was told it wasn't really an emergency and I could get an appointment in 7 days. (Maybe they believe cats don't feel pain no suffer?)

2. I brought my dachshund mix in who has Disc Disease. The vet DID NOT EVEN TOUCH MY DOG! He still managed to cough up some diagnosis and left the room as quickly as possible. Don't worry - he did manage to print out the bill just fine!

3. My puppy had an appointment to be spayed and I was quoted a price between $250-300 (gulp). When I arrived at the appointment, I was told I needed to pay $595 because now my puppy was 7 months old and the price goes up. I asked why, as the dogs weight stayed the same. Her response...."Because." I then asked for a complete price breakdown of the bill, so I could determine what the extra costs were. Nobody in the office could do it.

4. I asked to speak with the office manager to solve these issues. After waiting 7 days with no contact from the manager, I filed a complaint with the corporate office. The office manager called me 15 minutes later. I asked her why she was calling me now and not last week, and she replied, "I received an email you complained. I'm doing my job by calling you back. What do you want?" And that was the NICEST part of the conversation.

In summary, the vet is cold and uncommunicative, the front desk staff incredibly rude, under-prepared and uninvolved, and the office manager must be the defensive linebacker of the team as she does nothing but block any progress. Please. DO NOT TAKE YOUR ANIMALS HERE. EVER. They don't care about you, they probably hate your animal....but they're very hopeful for your bank account. Please, find a real vet!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2014

When I signed up for their optimum wellness plan I was told that I would be able to obtain emergency services if the need arose. Last Wednesday my dog was very ill. He would not eat, was shaking and vomiting. I called Banfield and begged them for an appointment. I was told I could have an appointment the following Monday! I called the other Banfield in my area and begged them the same way and was told that they could give my dog an appointment Tuesday!

That night I had to rush my dog to the emergency hospital as I was afraid he would die. We were told that if the dog had his meds sooner he would not have had to suffer so long. It cost me $400.00. When I called Banfield to cancel the plan I could not use anyway they told me it would cost me $320.00 to cancel! Unbelievable nerve.

Original review: July 31, 2014

I took my dog in with an ear infection. They wanted to charge me $20 to administer the first dose of the prescribed medicine. My normal vet always administers the first dose to show me how to do it properly AND DOESN'T CHARGE TO DO IT.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information