2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: March 11, 2015

I called Banfield when I found my 12 year old Husky mix laying in the garden. She could not get up. It was 8:00 AM, before the vets begin their day. I know this, because my dogs have been in the plan for over 12 years. The person who answered the phone told me they didn't have a vet available for an emergency, and I should take her to an emergency clinic.

Astounded, I explained I was a Banfield customer and I needed to bring her in. She didn't necessarily need the vet but someone should look at her. She maybe needed IV fluids. Woman continued her stance. I asked to speak to a nurse, who told me I must not have explained properly and of course I could bring her in. She died yesterday. All I can think about is how badly the company treated me after I paid thousands of dollars over her twelve years, plus the other dogs I have. I simply don't have dogs that are that sick, and they are ALWAYS UPSELLING. I had an I home service come to help Iris move on. I am removing my other dogs from the Banfield Wellness Program.

Original review: March 9, 2015

We got a new puppy in December and decided to sign up for the Wellness Plan. Being first time pet owners, it seemed like a good deal. They talked us into the full package which included the neuter. Fast forward 2 months and we decided we were not cut out for a pet. I go to cancel my agreement and because I added the neuter in there, I am stuck paying for it even though I didn't use it. I also got nicked for a non-refundable deposit I was also not aware of. Just pay as you go, they rip you off by going this route and you really don't save that much money.

Original review: March 9, 2015

Today has been one of the saddest days of my life. I took my Khloe to Banfield at 5707 W. Northern Glendale Az for her wellness check this morning and finally had let Banfield talk me into adding the dental cleaning on Khloe's plan. I get a call a few hours later telling me that Khloe had went into cardiac arrest while she was under. Khloe had died as a result of whatever decisions your Dr. ** made in her procedure. My heart is broken and I am emotionally a wreck right now. "How can this happen," I ask myself. I never dreamed that this would be the last morning that I got to spend with my baby Khloe. Who is going to be responsible for this? I was trying to do things to keep Khloe healthy and Banfield took Khloe from me. I don't have any of the paperwork from today. I was told it would be mailed to me. My account is under ** and my dog is Khloe. I don't know what to do.

Original review: March 8, 2015

On March 2, 2015, I took my dog to your clinic in McAllen, South, because it had dawned with a very swollen side and a kind of tumor by the chest that felt hard. Left it. They told me that it was some poisonous animal bite. They gave her antihistamines and injected with an antibiotic. Continue giving Benadryl. But on Wednesday 4, saw her very depressed, worried, call Dr. **, who did not answer, but the secretary told that she couldn't see, that if it got worse, could go to a night clinic, which number she provided. I went there. They proved that she had internal bleeding and she was about to die. As I was paying the insurance and ** showed a little professionalism: cold, inattentive and mostly non-professional. I demand pay the costs of the Night Clinic and funeral.

Original review: March 8, 2015

So I take my healthy bulldog to Banfield for his neutering surgery. Then the Dr calls me asking if it was okay to pay extra fees for extra anesthesia. I was okay with it as long as he comes out of the surgery still healthy and well (I didn't know that so much anesthesia is dangerous for bulldogs; the Dr should have known). 20 minutes later I receive a call from her telling me that she has bad news and that he couldn't breathe during the surgery and so he passed away! I was in shock and couldn't believe that because it's supposed to be a really easy surgery! (I've never heard a dog that has passed away from a neutering surgery.) So I googled about anesthesia and found out that it is very dangerous for bulldogs to use extra anesthesia.

The Dr in Banfield should have known this information since bulldogs are very sensitive dogs! I'm really mad at them and I would want to sue them for that! I took him to them healthy and happy and there was nothing wrong with him! They overdosed him with anesthesia! I'm really angry and sad, I miss my bulldog sooo much! RIP Nacho xoxo

Original review: March 6, 2015

If you care about the well-being of your pet, I recommend ANYWHERE BUT BANFIELD. I had the WORST experience at the Overland Park Banfield. I feel this company only cares about profit, not about customer relations or the quality of services for the pets they care for. I was charged for appointments I never got to go to because of personal issues. I explained how me and my partner lost all of our credit cards and personal items in a fire, and there was no understanding. So they took the $700 from the wellness plan, for appointments we NEVER got to go to, to a debt agency.

We are two 21 year olds trying to get by, some days we don't even have money for food. So we asked since we are going to pay it anyway if we could reschedule the appointments we missed for our pets. THE ANSWER WAS NO. I have never had a worse experience with veterinary professionals. DO NOT GO TO BANFIELD. This is the first time I have ever even written a bad review. My experience was that awful.

Original review: March 4, 2015

Mar 3, 2015. I would never again take my dog to Banfield located in Seattle, WA, 13000 Aurora Ave N.

(1) Dog handling: the assistant who was helping the vet with the examination of my dog was pulling on his harness too hard to keep him still. He's only 15#, a Bichon-Poo. I was almost in tears. I intervened; the vet did not even after the assistant continued to handle him this way. However, I have had a very good experience there in this regard with a different assistant and vet.

(2) General Vet service: based on my experience in the past there I am now suspicious of the quality of health care they provide my dog. I'm actually afraid to take him there again. (I have a Wellness Plan! ) Yikes!

(3) Customer service: Mediocre to appalling. Each time I take my dog in, the front desk employees engage him excessively. It's clear that he's hyper-excited, they see that I'm trying to calm him down, they know that they're going to weigh him while he stays still on the scale (right!?), and they're well aware that the vet is going to need him to remain still in the exam room. Me: almost in tears each time.

(4) Out of desperation (new to the area) I signed up for the Wellness Plan when my dog had an ear infection. Costs for medication outrageous even with the plan!

(5) The wellness plan includes free professional teeth cleaning requiring anesthesia. Each time I take my dog there (about 5 times in the past 9 months), they push professional teeth cleaning. I know my dog's dental health is extremely important to his overall health. However, I'm not going to allow Banfield to do it. I will get him a competent vet to check his teeth perhaps with a radiograph before surgery could be recommended. One more thing I just noticed on my Feb 26, 2015 invoice: it states that my dog has been prescribed a prescription medicine that the vet did not mention to me during the visit!!

(6) Upshot: Since I have a few months on the Wellness contract I will take my little guy in for routine visits but I must be with him at all times.

My dog is 6 years old. His previous vets were excellent, considerate, compassionate, and informative. They tried to keep my costs down. I trusted them to neuter and perform surgery for an other issue. Medicine was much less than what Banfield charges. If you want to check out my dog's prior vets, here are their names: Ellicott Small Animal Hospital, Buffalo, NY; Georgetown Animal Hospital, Williamsville, NY. Both in western New York. 2009-2014 was he a patient. Best of luck to all!

Original review: March 3, 2015

Do not take your pet there!!! It's just money trap... I made appointment to see what was going on with our cat because he was sneezing for 2 weeks. The vet started talking about their plans before even checking my cat and kept insisting that I needed to get a plan. Finally after I asked to know what was wrong with my cat she briefly examined him not paying much attention, not checking his fever or listening his lungs which I thought was very strange. When I denied to enroll in to their plans they tried to charge me $180 for clavamox (which I got for $36 from another local vet after I left them) plus exam fee... I left without picking the medicine and took my cat to a regular vet where they did full blood work, detailed exam and didn't cost arm and leg... Be very cautious!!!!

Original review: March 2, 2015

I am a wellness plan member for the Banfiled Pet Hospital in Orlando, FL Waterford and I would NEVER recommend this animal clinic to anyone. I have had many poor experiences since day one, however my latest situation is by far the worst. My kitten, who is 8 months old, was neutered from Banfield about 2 months ago. Proper protocol requires the vets to look over the animals when they are under. Unfortunately, they found gingivitis in my little kitty. Even more unfortunately, they "forgot to tell me". Fast forward to this past week, my kitten has been under the weather - coughing, sneezing, sleeping more than usual, and wheezing. Being a concerned mommy, I took him into Banfield right away.

Once I got there, the nurse asked me what I've been doing to help his gingivitis. Shocked, I asked what gingivitis?! She told me they found gingivitis on him 2 months ago when he was neutered. When I told her I was never informed, she brushed it off. Now my kitten's gum disease has spread to his lungs and he's sick. He's on antibiotics but I don't even trust they are the right type! Sadly, this could all have been avoided if crucial information about my pets well-being wasn't withheld. Banfield is negligent, unprofessional, and rushed. The people at the front desk are rude and inconsiderate. The vet's competence is questionable. If you care about your animal, please reconsider taking them to Banfield and whatever you do, do NOT join the wellness plan.

Original review: March 1, 2015

I took my dog in for shots and signed up for a puppy plan. Initial joining fee $85.00. The amount for plan $4**.00 and they're suppose to call to remind me of visits. Never received a call until it was time to pay the full amount which now was almost $700.00; stating that "It's time to get your dog neutered and shots." I didn't know what they were doing. I already went somewhere else and had everything done neutered/shots. I now have a bill for no services rendered.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I brought my dog and to be treated for an ear infection. He was prescribed Remicin. I was told to apply the medication for two weeks. After two weeks I returned to their office and he had a small pimple or growth on the inside of his left ear. They advised me to continue to apply the Remicin to the affected area. A week later it was a larger growth in the form of a pink fleshy bump. At this time they advised me over the phone to apply Neosporin ointment and I did.

Then a few days later it was still not gone so I returned to their office when they told me it could possibly be a cancerous growth but that they never told me over the phone to apply the Neosporin ointment and that I should continue to apply the Remicin. They also said that he may shake his ear and it may cause further irritation and they should possibly tape his ear up over his head. Then they said to give him Benadryl to keep them from itching all the while applying the same ointment.

I got the feeling that something was wrong and I have not returned to their office. I did some research and found that the medicine was not to be applied for more than seven days. As I said, they did decline that they told me over the phone or to use the Neosporin ointment. It's just seemingly bad practice and I got a strange feeling about the whole thing. I'm taking my dog in for a second opinion. I want to report they misadvised me to use the ointment on this bump on his ear.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I was told that I needed to drop my dog off at 7am for a needle biopsy. I told the he is afraid of being caged and they assured me he was going to be in good hands. 8 hours later I received a call that they can no longer do the biopsy because the tumor/cyst was no longer there. They claimed he hit his head only once in the cage and knocked it off!?!?! Seriously! If it could come off that easily I could have removed it myself! When I got there to pick him up they left me waiting for more than 15-20 mins for my dog while I could hear him yelping and barking and crying clearly still in the cage where he hurt himself.

I had to beg them to release him to me! Even other patrons in the store could not believe how my dog was barking and that they would not give him back to me. It was abusive not only to my poor dog to me. I brought him to another hospital who agreed to knock the cyst off his head, took work and he was probably hanging his head repeatedly to get out and then could not be caused by banging his head once. When I filed a formal complaint I got a call back from the store manager who basically told me that it was my fault and if I knew he did not do well in a cage that I should not have dropped him off!

Anyone that knows me knows Arrow is my child and I would throw myself in front of a bus to keep him safe. To be told that I caused this is heartbreaking and adding insult to injury! I did what I was told to do by the drs I trusted with my dog's health. They abused both of us and I want everyone to know never to bring your pet to the BANFIELD hospital in Washington Township NJ. They have no compassion for you or your pet. I gave escalated my complaint again with corporate and will not let this go. I will spread the word in every way I can to prevent anyone from ever having to go through what me and Arrow experienced.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I tried canceling plan. To do so, they are making me pay the remainder of the 12 months or the services that my dog got when I first signed up, whichever is less. They don't tell you this when you sign up, they just tell you that you can cancel at any time.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

I have had service with Banfield for 5 years. My sister referred me as she had been taking her cats there since 2004. I currently have 2 dogs and 1 cat on the plan. My costs are under $100/month (that's under $1200/year) for ALL pets. I've never been asked for a copay on visits. Elective immunizations have a nominal charge. I'm taking my puppy to get neutered this week and it is going to cost me under $100 for meds and micro chipping. My other dog and cat will have dental cleanings the same day which will be no cost as they are included.

If you compare what you pay here in total to what you would be paying elsewhere, you save so much money!! Aside from the peace of mind that I have with Banfield, knowing that the staff (mostly, except for a few front desk issues) LOVE pets and truly care for their health. Every vet and vet tech I have seen has been polite, educational and fussed over my pets. I will never go anywhere else.

As for the comments I've read on here about cancellation fees, I've never encountered this. My coverage lapsed on my cat because of a change to my debit card, and I was unaware. When I took her in for her next visit, the front desk person made a phone call and said it was no problem. They signed me right back up and I didn't have to pay any fees.

I wanted to give a positive review because I want to share my experience, and I feel that if Banfield was as bad as everyone else says, I certainly would have encountered that in the past 5 years, or my sister would have seen that in her past 11 years. Nothing but good things to say about them; they treat my angels like their own and provide excellent care.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

This is a total rip off. Took my pet in for yearly examination and was told about the plan and how wonderful it was. I paid 160.00 for my original visit and had one additional visit for a booster. When I tried to cancel the plan as we were not happy with the way the dog was treated on the second visit, by the way cost an additional 125.00. They muzzled her after she snapped at them because they tried to lift her and almost dropped her on the floor. They were not loving and showing any emotion to her. They gave her a shot and out we went. We paid 300.00 toward the plan in monthly installments.

At the end of this year we called and cancelled the plan and started using another vet. We received a letter because we still owed 79.00. They told us that the two visits all together were 900.00. Even when we paid 160 and 125 they subtract that from the 900.00 leaving me a balance. When we tried to cancel they would not because we received more services than we paid for. We must pay the balance of 79.00. I do not know where she received 900.00 of veterinary care, ridiculous. We will end up paying over 600.00 for two routine check ups. They will not let you out of the plan. My new vet charges 75.00 a visit, thank goodness.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

I wish I had checked this site out before I signed up for the "plan!" Like so many others, I too experienced no savings other than not being charged for the "visit." Everything else is minimally discounted for having this "plan." And it seemed like I NEVER got out of there for less than $300.00 as they always came up with this "preventative" procedure or a test to perform all with the caveat "'it's not 100% covered' under your 'plan'." Evidently, Banfield knows what a good thing they have going, because when you finally come to your senses of what a racket it is, they inform you that they are entitled to collect for the "services" you were given a discount on. Lesson learned by me and one that I hope I can prevent others from making! In my opinion, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS "WELLNESS PLAN."

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

They sign you up making you think that your pets' care is covered by making monthly payments. I am paying 80.00 per month for 2 pets. Once you do come in for check-ups or anything else they always add on ADDITIONAL costs to the visit. They break it down by saying, "Your plan does not cover this extra service." One of the attendants there at the hospital was called about my dogs' lab work and she was so rude that she hung up the phone just after she warned me that I was getting "smart with her". Also, the Dr there gave bad advice about another dog... that had us worried for weeks.

Today when I tried to cancel both wellness plans they stated that I would still need to pay for services amounting to $600+ dollars even if I cancelled the plans... Rude attendants and poor advice and they want me to pay for it! The somewhat ruthless office attendant at the cancellation dept today even asked if I wanted to write a check today to close out the plans.. I never felt so ripped off. Intention infliction of mental suffering may be my best option now. Do not sign up any Wellness Plan at Banfield it's foolish.. you pay extra when you go there and pay every month too. Seems like they can't get enough money from you.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

If you do decide to purchase the Wellness plan - DO NOT PURCHASE AN ENTIRE YEAR, PAY MONTH TO MONTH! I picked up my dog at a shelter. We enjoyed his company and was a great companion, however he was not getting along with our other dog and after 1 week, sadly, had to return him to the shelter. I purchased an entire year of the wellness plan. Beware....If you no longer have your pet example: due to death or returning to shelter, you will not be refunded your pre-paid year's amount. They give you a huge amount of papers and on one of them, it does tell you "non-refundable".

They do refund 1/12th of the total amount - which comes up to about 50 bucks. I would feel a little better if they would donate at least half of the total amount to an organization such as the Humane Society or transfer the amount to another one of your Banfield accounts. I feel this is unfair and bad customer service to not refund you the unused amount due to circumstances out of your control. I am partly to blame, since they did disclose the non-refundable amount, but still think it's unfair of them to keep all that money. I'm still debating whether this plan is even needed.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

We waited for more than 2 hours to get a vet. The front desk people were rude and unhelpful. There was only one vet; vets were overbooked and had little time for each appointment. This place is the worst!!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

My 3 year old mini doxie that weighs 12 pounds jumped off our couch and landed wrong. We took her to the closest EMERGENCY VET which was the Banfield located within our Petsmart. She had X-rays and it was shown she had 2 breaks in her leg. The doctor stated she didn't want to put a splint on it because it would probably just fall off. She stated she would give her a shot for pain. She would send our information to the local surgeon at the emergency vet that does surgery and to WAIT for them to contact at the earliest Monday and this was Saturday afternoon at 3. We were given pain pills, an anti inflammatory to give to her, a $600 bill that came down to around $300 because I signed up for some wellness plan and have to pay $40 some a month.

My dog was still in a noticeable amount of pain so I called the emergency vet myself and was advised to bring her in right away. When we were seen there we were told by the DOCTOR there, there was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WE WERE NOT ADVISED TO COME IN RIGHT AWAY and SHE SHOULD HAVE HAD A SPLINT PUT ON. The doctor reviewed her paperwork and it appeared we were charged for a shot for the pain however the paperwork DID NOT reflect our dog ever receiving the shot. Another flag that went off was she was still in pain and not affected by the shot she supposedly received.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

My toy 4 yr old schnauzer was lethargic, not eating or drinking and I called the Magnolia branch where he is a regular patient since he was 1. They couldn't make a appoint for 4 days even though I told them he was sick. The following day he was in the back yard barking at the neighbors thru the fence so I was hoping he was feeling better. He had gotten real quiet so I walked to the back door and he was just standing by the side fence. When I opened the door and called him, he looked my way and just set down almost in a falling motion, and then laid down and couldn't get up. I walked to him and he looked at me but wouldn't get up so I bent down and picked him up and carried him inside the house and laid him on a blanket we keep on the sofa.

After maybe 2 minutes he finally lifted his head and moved a little but didn't try to get up. My wife had just gotten home and he is always excited to see her but he didn't even try to get off the sofa. After telling her what had happened I took him to the Magnolia Banfield clinic. After explaining to the vet tech what had happened they milled around and run behind the clinic doors several times asking the same basic questions and after wasting another 20 to 30 minutes told me to take him to their hospital facilities because they were very busy and they were concerned such a young dog was passing out. I told them again he didn't pass out, it was if he couldn't get up, but still they said to take him to one of their hospitals, which the nearest is some 15 miles away.

When I realized I wasn't getting anywhere, I told them they needed to take down the sign by the clinic door which said "Sick or injured patients would be treated first for everyone's safety." The vet tech again ask me if I needed directions and I told him there are 2 Emergency Pet hospitals within 1/2 mile either side of Banfield and also told them if they couldn't fulfill their commitments at the clinic, I did not trust them to fill their commitments at the hospital either. I said the only time you will ever see me again was when I come back to get my dog's information to transfer to a real veterinarian.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

We had sheltered 2 puppies and brought them here to be looked at, no shots, WE PAID OUT OF POCKET for medication AND the vet fee. We had agreed to do their plan because we didn't know how long we were going to have the pups. I called 3 days AFTER the appointment to cancel the plan because we found them homes. Banfield has been harassing us stating we owe them over $500 for A SINGLE VISIT!!!!! NO SHOTS JUST THEM TO LOOK AT OUR DOGS!!!!!! who were each under 6 weeks old. my husband paid a settlement fee today so they would leave us alone!!! I AM CONTACTING THE ATTORNEY GENERAL and I am pursing a lawsuit to get our money back! NEVER EVER EVER TAKE YOUR PET TO THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

After our we came home from work to our dog experiencing bloody diarrhea and vomit - I called my local Banfield and was told they could not get her in today because the doctors would be leaving in about an hour, but their next available was the next evening. We ended up taking her to the local Pet Hospital. Our bill total (including the emergency service, fecal sample, fluids, cerenia, and flagyl) was only $150. This same incident occurred with our other dog which we took to Banfield and paid over $300 after our monthly fees!

I called the next day to cancel my Banfield plan for both of my dogs (because it is a COMPLETE RIP OFF) and was told I would have to pay $500 to cancel because of services we used. What the hell am I paying a monthly fee for? I would not recommend Banfield as they try to sell you on services that 1. your pet may not need and 2. are extremely overpriced. HORRIBLE SERVICE and HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

They could literally kill your dog in front of you and you'd still have to pay the plan or the previously covered visits. My dog (7 year old Shi Tzu) passed away from a vehicle accident. A few months after he died I noticed the Banfield reoccurring charges on my checking account and decided it was time to cancel that. It is true you must get the 'secret corporate phone number' in order to get the plan to stop renewing automatically. There must have been something in the fine print of the plan that said it would have to be paid regardless of the health of the dog. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. This is a scam. This is a "bait and switch" scheme. Please investigate this consumer abuse, Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

I brought my dog in for an emergency visit on 1/26/2015. I was told the dog had a cracked nail and was given an estimate of almost $300.00. I agreed and picked up my dog an hour later. She had a soft cast on that needed to be removed that Saturday, 1/31/2015. I was charged an additional office visit to remove the cast which was supposed to be included with the estimate.

The worst part of this is that the dog is no better and is suffering with the nail as she was before. I called Banfield this morning and asked if they could take another look since the nail is no better. They said they are in the business to make money and would charge me again! They seem to only be in the money-making business and do not care about the animals! After this experience I would never bring my animals to this institution!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

My husband and I divorced. He got the cat. He changed the account to his bank account then died a month later. Now Banfield wants me to pay over $200 for a cat I don't own. They are threatening to send me to collections stating the account was not transferable, yet they did transfer it prior to his death. DO Not get on their plan.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

They sign you up making you think that your pets' care is covered by making monthly payments. Once you do come in for check ups, there are always add-ons to that visit - culminating into an ADDITIONAL costs. They break it down by saying, "this med should cost $45 but you are getting it at a steal of $33." Example: Been paying the monthly fee of $29.99 EACH for my 3 pups. Their last check up and vaccine up to date visit, with all the "additions," was an extra $361.00! So what the hell am I paying the monthly fee for?

Prior to this visit, we hadn't been there in 3 months. Blindly we renewed, and I just called to cancel for financial reasons/changes and was told that since I am canceling 2 months into the 12 month plan, I have to pay $550.00 for the "savings" I received with the monthly check up. So basically, $24.99/month covers a visit IF they have nothing done to them. AWESOME, DO NOT DO THIS PLAN.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

Last Sunday morning when I woke up, I noticed my dog was not himself. I picked him up and felt that his entire body was hot. Immediately I knew something was wrong. I placed him on the sofa to get him to stand up properly. But he fell right back down. It was a bit scary. I immediately called my husband and asked was he fine with his final walk, my husband said he did not want to walk up the stairs. So from that conversation I called the Vet 1. They had no appts available.

Next I called Vet 2, they gave me an appt for 1.5 later. I took him in and told them everything that happened and I left nothing out. I told him that my dog would not stand. He was lame and weak and I noticed his left back leg would be up. I advise the assistant, that it seemed like it could've been his leg, but it doesn't not explain the fever. He took my dog temp and it was 103. He stated it was a fever. He took notes of everything he had eaten the day before and finally the doctor came in. When the doctor came in, I repeated every single thing as I had told the asst.

The Doctor stated "it could be a ligament or a tear." I immediately asked, "please explain the fever." He stated "Well yeah you're right." I advised him that my dog needs an x-ray and blood work to discover what is really going on. He stated "we will keep him for about 5 hours, because we are booked and so we can run test." I told him that's fine and I advised him that I prefer shots instead of pills for my dog because he do not take them, and plus he is not eating. He stated he will give him something for the fever but not for pain.

So after a long wait, the vet called me. He stated "I could give him a shot right now for fever, but we cannot give him anything for pain but pills." I questioned as to why and he never responded with a great reason why. So finally my husband and I went to pick him up and they gave us Jack at the checkout. Which was unusual because you would go in a room to discuss x-rays and blood work. So finally the doctor come out and we asked what's wrong, he stated he had torn ligament in the knee aka a football injury. I knew something was not right when he told me that and also that he was sending Jack home with pain pills. In which was dog was too lame to take anything down. So finally my husband and I get my dog home to walk him. He falls right to the ground with no strength to stand. He was 16 lbs that day.

The next day we noticed he is not moving or turning his head. It was almost like he was paralyzed. I told my co workers about his condition and that my dog was not getting better and they advised me that whenever a fever is showing, it means there is an infection and they do not know why he would suggest a knee injury. I advised my husband he needs to go back. I scheduled him appt the same day. We went and I complained about the horrible diagnose that vet gave my dog and that I just felt like it was a lie and not helpful. I told him I need to see my dog x-rays and his blood work. He never showed me the x-rays but explained the blood work that supposedly was 100% normal and that he would get the doctor in to discuss the x-rays.

She came and suggested a pancreatitis blood work, I advised her that I was ok with that. She took the test and came back with negative results and said that she will give him a shot for pain, I explained "are you able to do that" she advised me yes. I explained that the other doctor would not and that he would only prescribe pills for pain and that I needed to know what was on the xray. She explained there was nothing on there was would suggest a leg issue and that she could send it off. She adv me that she did not know what was wrong with my dog.

My dog was down a pound when we went in. This story is sad and hard to deal with. My dog is 4 years old and go every 6 months to get his shots and check up. I adv them that I was disappointed and hurt that they treated me and my dog this way and did not provided analysis around his illness and lied about the xrays. She provided my dog 3 other medications and gave him a shot for diarrhea.

My dog started walking outside but rests 100% of the time when he is in. I trust this vet that I pay my money to monthly to take care of him when he is sick not when he is well and they abused me and my dog. They are not great vets. They do not have a great team of people to support that research. They are like the McDonald of vet's. They will give you a quick fix but not the nutrients and healthy living you need for daily living. They are sad and pathetic and I will never suggest this plan again to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

Took in my cockatiel to get his beak trimmed earlier today and they told me it was slightly overgrown and they trimmed what they could. This was a lie. They did not trim it all which I did not realize until I got home and they still charged me for it. This place is shady and will lie to you to make a buck. Do not take your pets here! I drove over a half hour to get there and they didn't do anything but waste MONEY, TIME AND GAS.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

Banfield Newbury Park Sucks, Period! I took my dog in for vomiting and diarrhea on 12/22/14. My dog Roxy was prescribed medication for a parasite. There was no communication with the doctor. Just advised by staff to start meds when I get home. I never received documents of the diagnosis of my dog nor the documents of the medication subscribed.

They injected my dog with all types of fluids which when I got him home he had a size of a tennis ball full of fluid due to them over injecting my poor 13 1/2 year-old dog. I was up all night with him due to concerns of the inflammation of fluid located under his front leg. I called the emergency hospital and they said watch the size of fluid and if it gets bigger bring him in. Next day the fluid passed from his leg after drooling all night.

I called banfield in the morning and they said he should be fine but please bring him in if he doesn't do a bowel movement, which he did and I felt and trusted their opinion and they put him on the same meds for a parasite. My dog passed on 12/25/14. I know my message will never bring my dog back. But REALLY!!! If my dog is sick, you are the doctors, why release him???? Tell me what to look out for? Tell me to bring him to the emergency vet.

Mind you my dog was very sick in August 2014. And was never injected with so much fluids and was prescribed the same medication. I never authorized all of the injections that they induced on my poor dog on 12/22/2014. I only authorized the blood panel and the Giardia test. Which in August he did have a parasite and the medication made him better. I just feel as having insurance on my animal and trusting their opinions I did not receive that on 12/22/14. The doctor should have came out to talk to me as they were releasing him. And I should have received documented papers on what was going on and the medications and side effects. I received the papers in the mail in January. Really?? I called them to let them know my dog passed on Xmas morning. Then they sent me a reminder card for a check up after they knew my dog passed. I called them and said please take me off your mailing list.

The doctor finally called me on Jan 8th and said my dog did not have a parasite and he had inflammation of his colon. And I asked her why put him through all of this when he was nowhere as sick as he was in August. You did not induce him with all of these fluids in August and he was fine. Then after 12/22 he dies two days later. I am mad. And I miss my dog more than I can even express in words. I just do not want anyone to go through what I went through. Roxy was my best friend. I feel these doctors are not professional. I should have been able to speak to a doctor prior to her releasing him. Do not prolong his life to make $$$. Please be honest. Be doctors. Be professional. Then I had to call to cancel my insurance and they said I have a balance that is due?!?! Excuse me, but my dog passed. Have some compassion. I would never refer anyone to Banfield Pet Hospital. I miss and love you Roxy.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information