2. Pets
  3. Pet Care

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5
Based on 1,052 ratings submitted in the last year

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

From the vets in the various offices, to the corporate policies, this is by far the WORST vet I've ever been to. They are scam artists using inexperienced vets. They scam you into signing up for monthly plans or else being literally robbed by their excessively high priced services. Every vet will tell you that EVERY test is required to diagnose any problem, costing you big bucks. I was lied to and manipulated by one office and when I went there they turned my dog away (wouldn't allow them on the wellness plan) and then charged me for the pleasure of having my time completely wasted. I have 4 dogs that have been to these vets and I've been completely disgusted by their prices, their customer service and their policies. Also, every time I went to the vet with one of my dogs, there was a different doctor. Their offices are literally a revolving door of brand new, inexperience, incompetent vets. I cannot express strongly enough how much I feel you should avoid these vets.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

I am moving to Israel and bringing my wonderful, loving, loyal dachshund Baby with me. I brought her into the Banfield Pet Hospital first on September 24, 2014 and saw Dr. **, who my Baby was all over her, kissing her and bonding with her new vet. I knew what I needed for the move since I use to fill out these forms for my late husband, Jordan **, at the Bainbridge Animal Hospital 647 Bainbridge Street, Philadelphia, PA 17034. After he died we had taken Baby to a Vet in Florida who gave her several 3 year Rabies Vaccines and she was due for another one before our adventure to Israel. I needed a Rabies Certificate Form 51 which is acceptable throughout the world and is a standardized form.

I had made my appointment with Dr. ** and when I went to Banfield I waited there for 2 hours before Baby was seen for her Titer Rabies Test. It wasn't Dr. ** but a Dr. ** who Baby took a complete dislike to. I began explaining to him I needed a form 51 and he rudely said to me he never heard of that Rabies Form. I am sorry but I only worked for my husband, Jordan **, since 1977 to 2003 and I filled out many forms 50 and then it was changed to form 51. These forms are needed to make reservations for the pets for airline travel and international travel is much stricter than domestic travel. I asked for the form and basically he told me I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about.

The 2nd red flag was I was told a different thing than what Dr. ** told me. He told me Baby has a heart murmur and won't last the air flight. She will die. Now I look at her paws and her belly but there was no expiration marks on her saying when she is going to die nor did he give me what grade that this mummer was and when I got home I listened with my stethoscope and heard a normal beat, a healthy heart. There are only two sounds heard sort of a lub-dub and they should be clearly audible, not muffled or difficult to pick up. The two sounds should have uniform loudness (the 'lub' isn't louder than the 'dub' or vice versa), and a regular rhythm. She did not have a Lub or the Dub louder than the other.

My next red flag was the filling out of the form 51. I need 3 original copies and each copy I was handed was totally different from the 1st copy and it had to be signed by the doctor who initially gave the vaccine which it wasn't. When I looked at the form 51 they checked off that the manufactured 3 year licensed Rabies Vaccine was a 1 year shot. There is another space on the form for when they want to revaccinate her but she is not going back to them since she will be living in Israel. The Israeli Government is only interested in how long the vaccine was going to last not how long they want to over vaccinate a 12 year old dog who could get lung abscess in the lungs if over vaccinated as written in the AHHA and AVMA journals. I have kept up with my studies and attended major conventions.

The Defensor 3 is a licensed 3 year vaccine and has to be written that way on a form 51 or that this Rabies Certificate is considered not valid. Also as I said I needed 3 in blue or purple ink originals not black which if they had used the carbonless copy they won't have made the mistakes that they did which alters each Certificate. 3 form 51 enclosed along with the Banfield Rabies Certificate which is not accepted in Israel. According to the Rabies Law in Pennsylvania Chapter 16 Rabies Prevention and Control Subchapter C Section16.43 Revaccination, A dog or cat over 3 months of age shall be vaccinated to maintain immunity against rabies by the administration of a USDA licensed vaccine, including vaccines producing Immunity lasting 3 years, in accordance with instructions prescribed by the manufacturer.

1. A dog or cat vaccinated when UNDER 1 (one) YEAR shall be revaccinated no later than 1 (one) year later.

2. A dog or cat vaccinated when OVER 1 (one) YEAR with a vaccine producing immunity lasting 3 (three) years shall be revaccinated no later than 3 (three) years and at least every 3 (three) years thereafter.

Baby is 12 years old and that Banfield issued a 1 year licensure on a 3 year licensure vaccine. I paid for the certificate of vaccination and her Rabies titer. Now I question this Pet Hospital over their policy vs their examinations and qualifications. I am wondering how many people were told that their pets were going to die in 3 months and were put to sleep because of misdiagnoses. I take writing up a complaint against another Vet very seriously because my husband was accused by animal activist falsely. But this is not a false complaint and I have the Rabies Certificate which I am enclosing and of both Banfield and the copies of the 3 form 51 which was signed and never checked. Also as I said that we are leaving at the end of December 2014 and I was handed a health Certificate after I explained it 3 times the end of December.

When I mentioned the Airline El Al this doctor ** said, "Who's El Al?" It made me feel he was anti-Israel especially telling me my Baby was going to die on her way to Israel. His exact words were "when you open the cage you will find a dead dog." This doctor ** berated me, tried to make me look stupid. Also to add to this instead of the doctor taking blood for the Rabies titer in front of me, shaving the leg, he took blood from an artery in the neck in the back in a back room. They didn't shave the hair in the area of the Jugular Artery where they took blood which I found to be unsanitary and not very clean. I could not find the needle mark or any blood in that area. I am not even sure they took blood and I was charged for it. There is always a needle mark or some oozing of blood. When I examined her neck she generally is sensitive to the touch at the injection site. Now he placed the microchip in her back and she is sensitive there.

October 24th, 2014, I received a call today at approximate 10am from a Dr. **, the Chief of Staff. I was still angry at how I was lied to by the staff of 1.) the cost of the visit when it should have been a revisit; 2.) the fact that I did not find an injection spot on Baby's neck and therefore I do not believe a test was taken; 3.) they refused to give me the name of the Lab this blood titer was sent to. The only lab that was found on the net was Kamas State University in and their fees are the following:

FAVN-Rabies Antibody for Export Serum (1-2ml) All Animals $85.00 more...
        RFFIT-Rabies Antibody Endpoint Serum (1-2ml) Humans and All Animals $65.00 more...

RFFIT-Rabies Antibody Screen Serum (1-2ml) Humans and All Animals $40.00 more...

Where Banfield obtained a $350 fee for a Lab test is almost 300% of the actual cost. Banfield Pet Hospital continues to commit fraud to other clients with the practice of giving a 3 year licensed vaccination to other 1year and older pets with stating it's a one year vaccination. The public depends and is in total dependency on the honesty of the Vets and the Vet Asst in this practice to be forthcoming. Section 21. Grounds for Disciplinary Proceedings, (4) Fraud, deception, misrepresentation, dishonest or illegal practices in or connected with the practice of veterinary medicine.

One doctor at the practice states Baby had no heart murmur and the other doctor states she has a Grade 2/6 heart murmur without an EKG and without evidence to back him up. Confusion has arisen over the position of the point of maximal intensity (PMI) of sounds associated with the different valve areas. The point at which sounds are loudest does not correspond accurately with the anatomical position of the valves because sounds have to be transmitted to the body surface to be heard. Systolic sounds associated with the AV valves are best heard towards the apex beat area because they are transmitted by the stiff ventricular wall to the point at which it touches the chest wall. However, external anatomical landmarks are a rough guide to the location of underlying cardiac structures.

The mitral valve area is located in the fourth or fifth intercostal space on the left side of the chest just dorsal to the level of the olecranon. The aortic valve area is located in the fourth intercostal space on the left side of the chest just below the point of the shoulder. To hear sounds in this area, the stethoscope must be pushed forward under the triceps muscle. The pulmonary valve area is located in the second or third intercostal space on the left side of the chest just ventral to the aortic valve area. The tricuspid valve area is located in the third or fourth intercostal space on the right side of the chest approximately midway between the level of the olecranon and the shoulder. Sounds associated with the tricuspid valve may also be heard on the left side of the chest in the second intercostal space at a similar level in some animals. These areas reflect the cranio-caudal orientation of the LV and the right-left orientation of the right ventricle.

It is very difficult to hear a low grade 1 and 2 unless a Cardiac stethoscope is used and total silence is in the room when the noises of barking dogs were heard in the room and that the wrist of the technician Nick ** was directly next to the bell and the diaphragm of the stethoscope. When I brought this to the attention of Dr. ** she was indifferent to my concerns. One Doctor states no murmur while the other states murmur. When I brought up to the attention of Dr. ** how I was spoken to by her staff and how I was at that point angry on who was telling me the truth and who was lying and that I mentioned this in the lobby waiting 1 hour for a Certificate that was filled out incorrectly with several different signatures and not of the doctor who performed the Rabies Vaccination I felt fraud was committed and I was not going to jail for their mistakes.

When I went in to have a receipt signed for the records and which also indicated they owe me the original results needed to international travel they just acted as her legal consultant and her boss. He advised her on what to say which placed her deeper into this fraud. After reviewing the records there were defaming, slanderous comments on Baby's record about me being hostile, and stated I said I was just a stupid Technician which I originally said a dump technologist who only worked in my husband's office from 1977 to 2003 when I gave the hard copy records to Steven ** who was my husband's cousin along with the computer records. I had not asked for any phone numbers or any other information but was holding a private conversation with my son about calling and complaining to their Corporation Headquarters on the treatment of my dog and me.

That I sat in an exam room for 2 hours watching the staff play keep the door from opening, eating, making fun of clients and then in the lobby area for another hour with another client who came in was told that there was no walk in after she was told there was. She asked the receptionist to check to see if the kitten who was about 6 weeks old if it was a boy or a girl. The receptionist was so nasty to her that she sat down at her command. My son said he could tell and held the kitten up to see the sex and she was a lucky Grandmother of a Male kitten. I never asked for anyone phone number but I wanted to know when Dr. ** was in to lodge my complaint. I cannot take Baby's records to any vet because of what they wrote in there about me. I demand that these unprofessional comments be removed.

I have a receipt that they owe me the Rabies Titer test that I overpaid for and that I demand to pick this test up just in case they give me the wrong thing. I am cannot trust their comments on the test since they have been proven to me that they write unprofessional comments and lies. This Pet Hospital allows unprofessional unlicensed personal to write on medical records. This person came in impersonated a Registered/Certified Vet Technician and proceeded to examine my dog. This ** wore a tag that said vet tech. He argued with me, had accesses to my pet's records and wrote defaming comments on the record which was not professional. The "manager" did not refer to the staff as a Medical Vet Staff but as a TEAM and he was the TEAM LEADER which makes no sense in the Veterinary Field.

Also he claims he took blood from my dog through the jugular vein and not from the leg. He is not formally trained or qualified or licensed to take blood from Animals. This Nick ** is practicing as a Vet Tech and is unlicensed to do so. If he is an animal handler or a kennel person they should not be making comments about the owner or examining pets.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

A friend and I took four, 4 week old kittens she found there to get checked out. The lady on the phone said we would just have to pay for one kitten since they were not ours. After 2.5 hours there, we found out that we had to pay for all four kittens and they were going to charge an arm and a leg to get them vaccinated and checked for worms. I ended up deciding to get one checked for worms and vaccinated. After being there for that long, we found one cashier willing to take one kitten, a Pet Smart customer to take another and her friend took a third. I decided to take the 4th. So the next time I see kittens left on the road, I might not try to help due to Banfield's lack of sympathy and help. I will never take my animals there again. I wasted 3 hours and $540 dollars on kittens just because I was trying to help.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2014

First let me start by saying I have the Banfield pet plan which covers annual exams and shots. I pay $86.00 a month for 2 dogs under the age of 5. I called today because my pet jumped off a railing and now has a limp. I called and was told it would cost $490.00 for an X-ray and consult. That includes a 10% discount because I pay for the plan and does not include any treatment. I'm completely outraged and disgusted. I will be looking for a new vet tomorrow and will be canceling my plan.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

I called Banfield back in July to cancel my pet insurance because they were not taking money from my account on time. They would wait until the payments accumulated. I'm on a budget and I have two dogs, not to mention that every time I visited them they would try to push me into doing very expensive procedures. The woman on the phone told me that she couldn't reimburse me, but she could waive the payments until October at which time the plan would be cancelled. It is now October and they have taken more money from my account. I called and not only had she not cancelled this account, but now the man on the phone says that I can't have my money back. I am very upset. Stay away from Banfield.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

Teeth cleaning should not KILL! We dropped-off a healthy dog at Banfield Hospital (Plantation, FL) on Saturday, October 11, and today, October 15, he's DEAD. They knew our dog, Nano, had an enlarged esophagus and digestive issues, because of which we refused to neuter him (anesthesia was a huge risk). However, they still put him under for a ROUTINE dental cleaning. We had NO IDEA they used full anesthesia for this! Nano vomited profusely after the procedure and aspirated vomit, resulting in pneumonia. We had to leave him there all Sunday and Monday with IV fluids, antibiotics, and took him home overnight. He wasn't eating, we had to give him water and Pedialite with a syringe. He finally collapsed less than an hour ago. How do we sue these people? This is just wrong!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

I purchased a puppy awhile ago and I grew up with dogs. I went place to place to find the right puppy for us. I wanted to get the best for my dog - Blue Buffalo puppy food, teething toys, training supplies (treats and such, no shock collars), and sadly Banfield. They charge you a start up fee and monthly $30-$60 a month. First couple of vet visits seemed great (you don't get the same vet each time). Later I noticed that my dog had tape worms (again I grew up with dogs and knew how to respond. We had her on Trifexis to treat fleas when we got her). Took her to Banfied to get medication. They did a fecal exam which showed up negative. They gave me the medication which was different from what I have always used, but decided to trust my vet (big mistake) and follow the instructions for the medication.

Later on after two weeks I still noticed worms. So I took her back and they did a fecal exam again and again was negative (don't expect any real answers from these people) but gave me more medication which again I did as instructed. By the way you only get a dollar off all medications even though you are paying ~$50 a month. By this point I have gotten her all of her shots done; rabies, parvo, etc. My dog all of a sudden was throwing up eight hours after eating, was lethargic, and just ill. I took her to the vet immediately. The vet gave her fluids and tested her for parvo (I know people say dogs can still get it after the vaccine). The test came back negative (they however fails to tell me if it was the fecal test, which is cheap for them and very inaccurate test, or a blood test which is what should be done).

The vet said and I quote (about vomiting 8 hours after eating) "That doesn't sound possible. You see after 8 hours all her food should be in her lower intestine." Everyone should know this that's why I brought it to her attention but I guess she thought I was over exaggerating even though I fed her at 6am then when I get home to take her for a walk around three or four which is when she vomited before her 6pm dinner. I bought the prescription food and my dog wouldn't touch it. Every week I brought her in and was given no answer at all, just medications to treat the symptoms and only the symptoms.

By the third week with them doing nothing at all I got puppy milk and bottled fed her and spoke with another vet. I didn't even tell the other vet that I have been taking her to Banfield! I only told her the symptoms and immediately the new vet at a different company said there could be an internal blockage or rupture. Specifically because I told the different clinic that she vomits eight hours after eating. The new clinic didn't even have to see my dog to give me an idea of what was wrong. I took my dog in that night to the new vet clinic but by then it was too late. It was a internal rupture causing the intestine to start telescoping. It got too bad to be able to do something. I went to this new vet once who was able to find the answer and was the most comforting woman I have ever met! She didn't even charge me for anything!

Banfield did test (every single one showing negative even the ones I knew were positive!) But didn't give me an answer, blew me off when I told them the symptoms, and charged me $300 on top of the monthly charge. My dog died because of these people - there is no doubt about that. But to make matters worse I have to continue to pay for the pet insurance until the end of the year! My dog wasn't able to get spayed due to being ill! I know vets have bad days and I know mistakes are made. However there is no excuse for four weeks failing in a row and not giving an answer! And when I went in to talk about how ridiculous the fact that I have to pay for insurance on my dog that they killed I was told, "Well if you spent $300 then we obviously were doing something." That was the manager's response. Needless to say I am looking into suing them. Just heed my warning. Don't waste your money on a corporate vet that doesn't care about animals or customers.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

I took my kitty to bandfield because of a skin condition. I was told that she seemed to have skin cancer and I should put her down. I put a cone on her and her skin cleared up. I clipped her claws because I thought maybe when she was cleaning herself she was scratching her face. It seemed to help and she was clearing up. Only to discover that she contracted a respiratory virus which is very contagious and I knew since she is an inside cat and not around other cats she had to have gotten it there.. I called them and they told me she couldn't have gotten it there.. Even though they took her in the back with several other animals to exam her. They said I could bring her back but I would have to pay another vet visit fee. I wish I had never taken her there. I lost my job and have no way to pay another vet visit. I would have thought they would see her again and of course offer treatment which I would be happy to pay for... I will never go back there again!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2014

I chose to get the wellness plan at Banfield for my new puppy based on a recommendation from a friend. So far I am very happy with the choice I made. Lola has had all of her rounds of puppy shots and has been spayed (they did a beautiful job by the way) for less than $100. I had made several calls to other area vets and just the cost for shots was well over $100 on average. The $35/month I will be paying is worth it to me in case I need to bring her in for an illness or other problem.

We go to the Banfield on Commercial Blvd. in Lauderhill, FL. Everyone there - reception, vet, assistants - are so friendly. They love my dog just as much as I do. Sometimes they seem very busy, and there can be a line of people waiting to pick up their pets, but they always welcome you and tell you they'll be right with you. I've never seen another customer look or sound upset while I was there.

The vets definitely recommend buying different preventative meds for your pet, but they do not badger you into it. I did purchase a dose of heartworm preventative that was suggested because the mosquitoes in FL are pretty bad. I've never been made to feel guilty about not buying something for my pet. So far, very happy with Banfield.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2014

I called Banfield in May to update my debit card information because they had a recently cancelled debit card on file. I was told by the employee since April's payment did not go through because I was issued a new debit card that May's charge will also reflect April's. I called in September to schedule an appointment for my dog and they told me I was in collections. I called collections, not sure what was going on and they said my payments have not gone through. I asked if they had my updated debit card information and they did and confirmed that I did call in May to provide my new information. I am not sure what happened, if they never actually processed the payments through my new debit card or if there was an oversight, so the customer service rep "Whitney" said that I would have to pay $439.00 to get out of collections.

After finally getting an answer as to what happened, this was their response. "Unfortunately the location did not properly activate her plan and tried multiple times to reach her." Which is a joke because they didn't even have my correct address on file, which I also provided them so they could process my card. I tried to work with them and pay what I owed which would be the monthly payments I owed, but they refused, wanting $200+. Banfield refused to work with me on an issue that was their fault. I will never sign up for Banfield again and I make sure that everyone I encounter knows to stay away from them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2014

We were customers with their Advantage plan for 5 years, with no issues until recently. Our 5 yr old dog started having seizures and skin issues. We went through the food changes and allergy testing to find out nothing. They had no idea what was going on with her and continued to keep ordering tests and switching her food until we started saying "no, this is just too much." They made us feel horrible for it. We just put out almost 6-year-old dog down yesterday. And so I called to cancel the plan and was told you still have to make payments on the plan that we will not be using. Even though there were services on it that we never used due to her condition. I would strongly caution people not to go with any Banfield plan. The vets are out to sell you on whatever they can, and from my experience they really can't deal with a truly sick animal. STAY AWAY!!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2014

Our dog had surgery for his teeth cleaning and Banfield said they found a loose tooth and then after the surgery our dog couldn't breathe. So we rushed him into the emergency clinic and they still have him. But in the morning we have to get him and we will not be taking him back to the clinic after reading the reviews and yes they also prescribed Rimadyl for our dog for pain. Our dog was very healthy before he went in for the surgery. We have had to spend almost $2000 just from starting with Mansfield.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2014

I took our Shih Tzu in because he was matted under his belly and had been digging at it until it was sore and infected. He needed his nails trimmed as well. The idiot at the Banfield check-in counter suggested I take him to the grooming studio to have him taken care of. I knew that on a Saturday without an appointment, they wouldn't see him, plus he needed to be seen by a vet.

After confirming the studio wouldn't see him, they let me in to see the vet. After the consultant examined him, she made some suggestions and left. The vet came in, looked him over, made a few entries, then left. The consultant came back with the bill: $394. They wanted to take stool samples, wash his ears, give him 3 kinds of medicine.. all that before they trimmed his nails and cleared his mats. I said no to everything but the nail "pedicure" for which they charged me $75! I saw what they did.. one held him down and the other clipped his nail with clippers, they didn't file them at all! Plus they charged me a $5 "waste disposal fee" for his clipped nails and the gloves they wore while clipping him. If this place isn't the worst scam and rip-off joint in the USA, I'd like to know who has them beat.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2014

Make sure you read the whole contract!!!! If your dog dies a month after you sign this contract, you have to pay for the remaining months. If you move, and there's not a Banfield Clinic within an hour of your home, you have to pay off the remaining months. That's what happened to me. I moved from Phoenix to Titusville Florida. I had a cat and two dogs on their Wellness Plan. The nearest Clinic is an hour away and according to them, that's not too far to drive. I had to pay off all three plans, or they would report me to the credit companies. Also, I just took my cat to SPAC, which is a mile away, and they charged me $12.00 for a bag of IV fluid that Banfield charged me $45.00 for. So all I can say is BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2014

I took my 2 cats to Banfield January 02, 2014 in Decatur, AL. I dropped them off about an hour early because the location of the PetSmart is a town away and I had to go grocery shopping. Before I left I explained to them they are a little skittish because they had to stay in the garage while my father in-law was in town due to his severe allergy.

In the middle of their appointment, they came out and told me they were having trouble with them because my oldest cat was overly aggressive. I explained to them he does not like strangers when I'm not there and I should be with them. The tech vet said, "I don't think that will change anything since they are feral." I never said feral! I let it go and we went over prices for deworming and flea treatment. They made mention of their wellness plan and the routine care it would cover with discounts. It sounded really beneficial so I signed them up and paid the fees for the visit. Then the vet comes out and says the BLOOD TEST they administered on my oldest cat shows he has FIV!

I freaked out because it made no sense for him to have it and because I never approved doing a blood test. Then they go over this list of test they have done like ear mite test, stool test, leukemia test, disposition test, the works. And she recommended drugs I could also get to help with his FIV. I declined any further test and medication and went home. I was in so much shock about my cat having cat aids basically, I didn't even think to get really mad about all the other test they did without my permission.

We took my oldest cat to another vet to see about the FIV and they said not only would you not be able to test for FIV accurately in-house, but if the cat was vaccinated for it, they definitely would have gotten a positive from the type of test they did. We had her send out the test and he tested negative for it. I called Banfield and complained about the misdiagnosis and all the vet there kept saying is the newest textbooks in veterinarian science says that's debatable. I called a vet we had in Tennessee and they confirmed the second vet.

I tried to cancel the wellness plan after that never wanting to even see a PetSmart, but they told me all the test they ran if I cancelled it early would be over $1000 upfront or I could pay off the 1 year agreement I was never told about which was $38 X 12. I finally paid it off and it took over 2 days of me calling their cancellation line and billing dept to send me official letters of the account being closed and papers stating they would not charge me again. If you see a PetSmart RUN! Not only is an average vet visit only $40 for a real vet, the discount on the periodic medication, like confortis, is the exact same price. 0 benefit to having that plan or getting a professional opinion of the vets they employ.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2014

AVOID BANFIELD AT ALL COST.

Our story: My dog has been on the Banfield Wellness plan for over 10 years. Back in 2008, he had a problem with an obstruction in his digestive system that Banfield failed to diagnose. After spending hundreds of dollars at Banfield (South Shepherd, Houston, TX location), I took him to a different emergency vet and he was treated. I foolishly wrote this instance off as an anomaly. So this last week, when he started feeling ill, my boyfriend took him to Banfield. Despite our repeated insistence that he could have another obstruction in his digestive system, Banfield took x-rays and assured us that the x-rays showed no such obstruction. Banfield then sent us home with antibiotics, assuring us he had an "infection". Banfield scheduled a "cautionary" follow up appointment that their doctor said we "probably wouldn't need."

When I showed up for the follow up appointment (4 days later) with his condition obviously worsening, Banfield again took x-rays and again told us there was no obstruction. They admitted they were "unsure" why he was still sick or why his white blood cell count was so alarmingly high. At that point, Banfield's doctor suggested we could take him home and wait two more days for someone there qualified to do an ultrasound (at Banfield) or take him somewhere else to have it done. By then, we had lost all faith in Banfield and took him elsewhere immediately.

The vet at the other emergency hospital didn't need an ultrasound--they didn't need any more information than what Banfield already had. They looked at Banfield's x-Rays, and within five minutes told us he had an obstruction and needed emergency surgery immediately. By the time they did the surgery, it had been four days since Banfield's doctors had originally seen him and the obstruction had wrapped itself around his intestines such that it was punctured in 12 places. He survived for three days after the surgery, but died on the fourth. We trusted Banfield to help us care for a dog who trusted us to take care of him, and Banfield betrayed that trust. Shame on them.

I have no issue with Banfield marketing itself as a hub for preventative care ONLY. However, they sell themselves as a full-service veterinary hospital, and that is misleading. So misleading it is criminal. They misdiagnosed my dog's issue, they were unable to keep my dog overnight, they lacked the staff with the expertise to properly read X-ray imaging, and they didn't have the equipment or staff to do an ultrasound. Does that sound like a full-service veterinary hospital to you? And they lull you into thinking you will be saving money by using the Wellness Plans, but I promise you the nominal savings are not worth your pet's life. My foolish mistake will haunt me for a long time.

Please share this story. My research following this incident shows this is not a rare exception. No other animals deserve to suffer due to Banfield's poor standards of care.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2014

On September 25th I took my German Shepherd "Juno" into Banfield for x-rays of her hips and elbows for OFA certification. I had made an appointment the previous day and was told to have her there at 7:30 am. I dropped her off with explicit instructions to call as soon as the Dr took xrays and that I did not want her there long. Around noon I called to ask what was going on and was told that since I was a drop off I would have to be squeezed in. I explained that I was not a drop off but had an appointment. So by 2 PM I still had heard nothing so I called again and they told me someone would call me back. Finally at 3:30pm someone calls to tell me that they are getting her paperwork started and told me what my charges would be. And it was DOUBLE what I was quoted.

I had another dog that I had brought in a few weeks earlier and at that time I asked what the charges would be for xrays of hips and elbows and was told $300. When I made the appointment for Juno I again asked what the charges would be and again was told $300. I also asked other vets in the area and was quoted the same price.

But now my total was $600+. Not to mention the fact that my dog has now sat in a crate for 8 hours. Eight hours and they had done NOTHING with her. Needless to say I was very mad and said I would be there to pick her up. I was told on the phone "Sorry that someone misquoted you" and that is just what it cost and just how long it takes. No apologies, nothing. Then when I go to pick her up they make a big deal of crediting the office visit... When they did NOTHING. They did not even take her out to potty, Juno is a highly trained dog and she barely made it outside before she had to go potty. That is negligence!

I loaded Juno in the car and went back in to complain to a manager or something. I was then told that there was nothing they could do because Banfield and Petsmart are chains and therefore that is just the way things are. I argued and she told me she would go get a different manager where upon that said manager never returned. I was left standing waiting for over 15 minutes until I left to take my dog home after an exhausting day.

I will never step foot in a Petsmart or Banfield hospital ever again. I had been using them for about 8 years. They do not care about the animals or customers. They are in it for the most eyes and to please corporate. They find letting a large dog sit in a tiny crate for 8 hours straight to be acceptable practice and do not stick to quotes or promises. Negligent liars!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

After having appointments for all 3 of my cats, they messed up the schedule not 1, not twice, not 3 times but 4!!! All the manager (that was rude and the receptionist clueless!) would say is try to go to another one of their hospitals and in response, I told her where I think she should go with colorful language!!!! TERRIBLE if you love and value your pet's life, DO NOT TAKE THEM TO BANFIELD.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

Hello to those who have had a bad experience. I work at Banfield for a few years now. I take my job very seriously. I care about my patients and clients. The wellness plan people are speaking of is NOT insurance... so therefore is not unlimited which I tell ALL pet parents. I don't know what happens at other locations... But I am sure they give the same quality care as we do. BUT when something BAD happens, we need someone to blame. And I hate this for you...

But please know, we (nurses and doctors) are here because we love animals! And we would never want anything bad to happen to them. Also, if I could give your pet free care I would... But we would not exist if we did not charge for services. Think of yourself...what do you get charged for when you go to the doctor?? How is your pet any different cost wise... Equipment and employees need to get paid for just the same... Thank you for reading this! And please know that we love our patients!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2014

Unprofessional behavior. Including hanging up on me (customer). And being very discourteous. Consequences are: We will not be going back there EVER again and I will advise the rest of my friends who have had complaints not to go there either.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

Banfield charges nearly twice what reputable pets do. Their "wellness plan" is a rip-off. We intend to not use Petsmart anymore just because of the association with Banfield. Take your pet anywhere else!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

Don't waste your money on the wellness plan. I thought I would have my dog neutered there but after reading and through friends they are hardly qualified to neuter a dog. Now I choose to have it done somewhere else stuck in a contract. Second thought was at least I have Banfield for if he isn't feeling well, I can go and get him looked at. They don't tell you that they are limited to a certain amount of fecal samples (which are the minimum amount when getting their basic immunizations). Now I have to pay out of pocket which I would assume would be a basic procedure to see why my dog may not be feeling well. Blood work included, they are only allowed one blood draw which is used to neuter the dog. Everything else is out of pocket? So why do I have a health plan? A FREE doctor's consultation?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I took our family member Dakota to Banfield to have him checked for a limp. He was vibrant and playful dog. The Banfield veterinarian prescribed Rimadyl. They do not tell you about the possible side effects. They did blood work which was completely normal. After starting the drug he started to have issues 3 days later so I took him back to Banfield. Rather than run blood tests again she gave him a shot of the same drug. He had to be rushed to an emergency vet where they took him off the drug. The drug completely destroyed all his platelets and red blood cells. We tried everything to save him. I cannot tell you how hard it was to watch him slowly die over a 4-week period. Banfield claims no responsibility for their actions.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

You have asked for my detailed account information in regards to this message posted on your site.

Yesterday we brought both our dog and our cat in for a teeth cleaning. Everything went fine during the procedure but while in recovery they had complications with our cat which was a pure breed Persian. They lost our baby and can't tell us why and now we are having problems with our dog and both were on the wellness plan. What a joke. We almost lost our dog during the night due to him having some sort of reaction to this anesthesia.. We have to get him in to another vet asap today.

The wellness plan is suppose to keep your babies around longer not kill them when they are 100% healthy going in. Now we are trying to cancel all of our wellness plans as we will never ever take our kids here again. They're trying to tell us we owe them money to cancel the plans after killing our baby. This was the Port Charlotte, Florida location. A very hurt and distraught family that wants to know the truth and prevent others from this pain.

Update. Our baby is so traumatized and distraught over what was witnessed with our cat. He can not stop crying... We did a Google search on you and found HUNDREDS of posts on people losing these cats during routine teeth cleanings... Clearly you all are doing something very wrong. We are aware you are doing an autopsy on our Sophie and cremating her free of charge, but why were we not given copies of there pre-surgical blood work when asked? Was it even done??

We asked for reimbursement of our baby. She was a pure bred doll faced Persian and a gift on our fifth anniversary to one another. She has papers, I am sure you are aware that those cats are not cheap. It took us quite some time to save for her. We can not ever replace her and while we understand accidents can happen something is not right here. I had to take our dog to another Vet yesterday who ruled that he is so traumatized or was handled abusively and roughly and that is why he is acting as he is..

Do you know what the Dr told me on the phone call? Something is wrong with Sophie. I said okay what? She said, as I said something is wrong, Sophie has died.. Just like that!! You call that a trained bedside manner.. I came to the hospital within 15 minutes Sophie had been gone for hours. She was cold and blue, it didn't just happen...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I signed up for their puppy plan for my female dog. As I would take her in for her visits they always push for a neuter. I gave in, believing it would benefit my puppy and now she has an umbilical hernia. The hernia had begin to develop even before she was fully healed and I mentioned it at her post surgery follow-up. They said it was nothing. I took her back in a few weeks later when I noticed it had gotten larger. They then confirmed it was an umbilical hernia and that it is "closed" and isn't painful and she could live with it with no problems as long as it remains closed. Not even a whole month later and it has gotten BIGGER.

They refuse to take responsibility and face the fact that I expressed my concerns about this bump back in FEBRUARY! And here we are in September and they are still trying to downplay the extent of the damage that we are now facing. They just act like they do not care and are not willing to fix their mistake. I have had plenty of pets and never had any experience like I am having now. My FIRST and LAST time dealing with Banfield and I would NEVER recommend them to a friend or family member. I am rethinking my loyalty to PetSmart for even being associated with them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2014

After reading the reviews I am extremely scared, but I've had good experience with Banfield. All three of my dogs have gone there and I have signed up for their care plan and they've been treated well. I have no complaints their service. I don't know if this is maybe because the other location current replaces. I saw no reviews on the clinic I went to Los Angeles. So far I am happy with their service and it has been a money-saving. My parents were treated in a caring manner.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

They spent most of the time trying to pressure me into buying their pet health plan! After saying I am not buying this for the 13th time, I told her stop or I am leaving. I will never go back.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

I adopted a cat. Brought him home and he didn't eat for 2 days. I took him to Banfield...they said he had a cold and couldn't smell anything. Therefore he wouldn't eat. They gave him a antibiotic shot and fluids. 2 days later he still was not eating. I took him to another vet where they did bloodwork. Poor kitty had a small liver and most blood levels were very very far from normal. The vet put him on steroids, gave him a stronger antibiotic, and instructed me to syringe feed him. 2 days later he was eating in his own and playing. Banfield almost killed my cat from lack of testing and misdiagnosing. I highly suggest no men ever go there. Better yet, it should be shut down. And they charged me 200.00 for the antibiotic and fluids. DO NOT GO TO BANFIELD if you want your pet to be healthy.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

About 6 months ago, I found a cat outside my apartment. It was infested with fleas but I decided I wanted to take it in. At that point I didn't know if it had any diseases or not and I had other animals so I went to get the cat checked out and I took it to Banfield Pet Hospital in Petsmart. They told us she was a 3-5 year old unspayed female. They even checked to make sure she wasn't pregnant, she had no diseases. So I brought her into my home and she adapted perfectly.

Well I got my 2 Yorkies fixed a few days ago and I also took her to get fixed. When I went to pick them up, I was notified that the cat I thought was a 3-5 year old, unspayed female was actually an 8-10 year old neutered male! I was furious. For 6 months we thought this was a young female and are now told it's a male. I'm glad it wasn't that serious of a problem. But I will NEVER take any of my animals back to that place. I would advise everyone else to not take your pets there. If they can't tell the sex of an animal, what else don't they know?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

3 visits to take my dog who was shaking constantly and then went into a seizure like stare/drooling and yelping out loud and little chest pounding... Was told he may have a bad neck/back cause Dachshunds have that issue. Unfortunately, he never had his issues there. As soon as we would get home they would start up again. Hardly wanted to eat. Given pain pills and anti-inflammatory. Still crying out loud. Charged me 2x, $34 each time they took his blood pressure! Are you kidding? Upgraded the insurance plan from basic $26.95 to the 2rs level if $42.95 monthly so his teeth cleaning and the most important, his X-rays that he needed... Now they tell me it's $115.00 for each time to follow up!? And $80 more for the specialist to read X-rays cause they don't know what spot in chest is... Now they tell me that 4-5 seizures a day can give my sweet boy brain damage and his back could get better but at some point if he knocks his neck out of whack he could be paralyzed. But if he has another seizure take him to BluePearl ER. And now I'm stuck with an entire year of the upgraded insurance plan... Check other places.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information