2. Pets
  3. Pet Care

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.28/5
Based on 1,043 ratings submitted in the last year

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

Took my German Shepherd to the Vet about a year ago (Healthy for check-up). In the checkup, they told me she had heart worms and needed treatment, to buy insurance from them to reduce the cost of treatment. She would need x-ray and to stay in the hospital as they were treating her. First price given was in the 3,000. I told her I could not pay that. It when down to a monthly 100 per visit (with Insurance of 56.00 a month). I took her to get treated each month for 6 months. When I ask if they could take a x-ray to see if it was working, they told me she would not stay still and they had to put her under. My dog is not aggressive and is very obedient.

I would have to pay for visit to put her under and stay. This is when I started to question Banfield Pet Hospital. My pet is part of my family and I wanted the best for her so I took her to a second opinion. With a 120.00 Vet bill, the doctor told me she could of had heart worms but he could not see or hear any. Gave me Tri-Heart Plus for a year antibiotics in case any were left and see you next year. I would still be paying 100 a month at Banfield Pet Hospital plus 56.00 for insurance. I love my dog and the way it sounded, if I did not get treatment I she would die. If I had the money, I would of paid the 3,000. They would have rip me off. My dog is healthy in this yearly check-up and well take care off. I would never recommend Banfield Pet Hospital or their insurance.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

I took my mixed dog to the hospital in Vacaville, California. He was crying from pains for days. Vet after X-ray, believed there is something in his stomach. She was more interested in doing a next day surgery on the dog (at $3,000 plus cost) than trying to get someone above her to see what that mysterious thing in the dog's stomach.

She & her assistant induced me to sign their "wellness program" and have told me if I do euthanize the dog instead of keeping him alive, I will only be billed for what I encountered at the hospital (in 45 minutes worth of charges). I am a single parent, I could not afford an additional $3000 in expenses, especially knowing that the Vet may have just learned how to tie up her shoes, and I did not trust that she is telling the truth about surgery in 1st place. Therefore, I euthanized the dog the following day.

When I called the "wellness plan" to recalculate the charges encountered in the 1st and only visit, they worked it out backwards to mean about $300 for an x-ray, and $200 for a liquid that they gave him to hydrate him. Mind you that doctor's visit was free, I had a coupon. Because the billing could not collect on a declined credit card for the remaining balance, they sent the account to collection agency.

MY ADVICE TO FELLOW DOG OWNERS IS SIMPLY THIS: Avoid this chain of inexperienced, inefficient chain of hospitals, and see a compassionate vet in your area who earns his/her money the old fashioned way. I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS, OR GO NEAR THIS HOSPITAL, OR EVEN BUY PET SUPPLIES FROM ANY STORE THAT HOUSES OR RENTS TO THIS HOSPITAL. Consider yourself warned!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2014

I have never been more disgusted or infuriated with a business in my entire life. Banfield Pet Hospital in Braintree uses appalling business tactics in order to steal your money. NEVER bring your pets there.

When I brought my kittens in to get their spay and neuter the veterinarian there gave them a special flea treatment prior to the surgery because he said that he found a flea on one of them; but he did so without my consent, and nowhere in any of the surgery prep paper work was there even a hint that this treatment may be necessary. I was also not verbally warned either. When the bill came to charge me for it (as a surprise to me of course) I told them I refuse to pay for something they didn't get my consent for in the first place. The meeting ended with me under the assumption that my valid complaint had successfully waived these fees. I continued to bring my pets there and paid their health insurance directly from my bank account monthly. However, I just received a letter in the mail from a third party debt collector for the amount of the flea treatments because Banfield Pet Hospital has reported me for non-payment!!!!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

First, allow me to dispel some myths. The plans offered at Banfield Animal Hospital are NOT INSURANCE PLANS!!! They do not function anything like insurance. When you sign up for the plan and pay your first payment, you are actually purchasing a product, much like buying a tv or a car, but you pay in monthly installments. The services rendered at the hospital are then discounted based on your plan. Some are "covered" but that doesn't mean you get them for free. The services rendered are "free" contingent upon your payment of the full plan balance either at the term (after the year) or upon cancellation of the insurance plan at which time your term balance becomes due. BEWARE the kinds of services that the hospital performs on your pet. Upon signing up, the hospital will perform vaccinations (if overdue) which is a value of $300 and take blood-work (a value of $250+ dollars). So, if you do what I did, and bring your pet in for vaccinations and blood-work, you actually are using close to $600 in services! If you try to cancel your wellness plan before you've paid your term balance ($375 for the basic plan), you will be required to pay your plan balance in full.

IF YOU AREN'T INTENDING TO SPEND MORE THAN THE PLAN BALANCE ON YOUR COVERED PET(S) IN THE COURSE OF A YEAR, DO NOT GET A PLAN. Just pay out of pocket as you always do either there or at your local vet. DO NOT AGREE TO SERVICES THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY YOUR PLAN, unless you feel certain that they are necessary. Many of the complaints in these reviews are from people being mislead as to which services are covered under your plan and which are to be paid out of pocket. ASK IF YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY FOR SERVICES OUT OF POCKET BEFORE THEY ARE PERFORMED. The plans only work if you are already spending a large amount of money on your pet's health care. The blood-work is probably the best value because with a basic plan, you get 1 a year, which is close to 75% of your plan balance (which you will have to pay anyway). Be prepared, however to deal with the many test recommendations that will be sure to follow after having blood-work drawn.

The hospital isn't in the business of giving expensive services at a discount out of charity; the plan is to try and identify health issues with pets before they become critical. This means that the test results will be scrutinized carefully! If you don't have the cash to get a standard $250 blood-work done out of pocket, then you certainly won't be able to afford the $150 (out of pocket, by the way) of tests that may find some rare genetic disease in your pet, which could also cost you lots and lots of $$$. If you have a pet that is already sick and you plan on spending over $1000 in services (meds, tests, surgery, whatever), then the plan might be best for you. If you have a pet that seems otherwise perfectly healthy, you can probably get by without it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

On a Sunday my pet got hurt. Rushed him in the hospital with 1 doc and a few assistant there and 2 hrs to close. My pet didn't receive any help because they were short and and no opening. Wow, yea keep in mind my pet was bleeding profusely from his wound. I'm in lobby asking for help and nothing. Next day I take him to another clinic in Indiana, an hour and a half of commute. My pet was quickly patched up less than 20 min and for 120$ for staples and more etc. That was pure love how they took care of us. Now again with Banfield, I go back today because my pet almost removed his staple so I took him today to Banfield and with no app just went. The staple was halfway out and inside his wound. They couldn't see me because didn't make a payment of 15 dollars - that was fine and then I had to wait 3 hr 1/2 to remove a (1) staple halfway out so I ask what happened to my account. It withdrawal automatically, well didn't last month, wasn't paid. Because they wanted money (15$) upfront I got no service. Now I'm canceling. Ripoffs! They don't care about your pet, it's about $$$$ - disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

I had my two cats on the Wellness Plan for several years and the service was always good at my local Petsmart. However, I had to give them away, and when trying to cancel it turns out I will owe the entire year of payments, so what is the benefit of the plan??? They advertise it as "insurance", when it's just a payment plan, like a cell phone - you have to pay off whatever service you used up - and it restarts every year so it's worse. Their "discounted prices" are barely what an average vet would cost, so that's not a real advantage no matter how many hundreds they tell you have been saved. I will be a vocal critic of the wellness plan for life.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

My dealing with the hospital has been great. They (Park West) take very good care of my pets. They tried so hard to save my dog. They operated on my dog 3 times, to save his life. They are really great Doctors.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I have a 1 year contract with three months remaining. In the preceding nine months I had no occasion to take my 12-year old Silky for any emergency. Last months he had a digestive problem which required my taking him for an exam. Even though I have their "Cadillac" plan it cost $287 for This visit. Not very cost effective. The vet kept suggesting additional procedures which all proved negative. Thus driving up the cost. They prescribed 2 medications that fixed him up in two days.

One month later he had the same symptoms. I had a balance of pills from the one medication however I needed 3 pills of the Other. I called at 9:45 am and asked if I could come in and pick them up. I expected to pay for them and that she would say to come right in. Was I wrong. After 15 minutes of interrogation, I was told the Dr. Would need to call me back in a few minutes. There was only one vet on duty and she was supposedly in surgery. When I hadn't heard back by 5:20 I called and told them what they could do with the plan. They certainly didn't have any interest in caring for my pet. They are a money driven company that has their bottom line as their major concern.

After my call complaining and informing I would not renew my plan. I got a return call in about ten minutes telling me the vet just looked at the request and to come in for the pills. No apology, no "We're sorry just doing what should have been done 7 hours earlier." CANCELLING the renewal Is a procedure not easily completed. I was required to contact the home office. Long story short. Use a different vet service. A small Local one that has no stockholders to look at quarterly results. Sell short. One

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Our Mollie (13.5 yr old dog) was seen on 11/21/2014 for comprehensive exam, covered/recommended under Wellness Plan but with primary focus on hip/joint stiffness/immobility that had arisen. I remained present during the exam and they told me she had a MILD infection but was showing no known symptoms of hearing impairment at the time. Also, found to be in need of an ear cleaning routine also. I was sent home with EpiKlean ear cleanser (2x week for 2 weeks) and 15g Remicin Ointment (4-5 drops, 2x daily for 2 weeks).

Within 4 days, noticeable hearing loss was occurring. I made an appointment because of this and Mollie was seen again on 11/29/2014 because hearing loss was extreme and concerning. At home she acted as though she was completely deaf and considerably lethargic/withdrawn. I dropped her off for this appointment - figuring that they would just say the ear drops were "clogging" her ears. I was told later in the afternoon, though, that she presented deaf to the vet staff and that this was normal considering her AGE. When I openly questioned the rapid onset (no known symptoms to full deafness within 1 week) I was assured that it was happening gradually and that her age was culprit - twice! I was also informed at this time to immediately stop the Remicin ointment drops and told that her infection was no longer seen.

It was after returning home with her that my husband and I researched and learned of this terrible risk of deafness particularly in older dogs. We had no idea. We were not informed of neither consented to such risks involved with this medication. We would have sought alternative treatments. The vet tech had just marked her health as 'excellent' before my eyes in our initial exam - there was NO evidence of hearing impairment... I reject completely that a dog can go completely deaf within a week's time, no matter how old it is, without a direct reason!! I've never had a problem with Banfield before, but we have seen all over the internet (too late) how this Remicin Ointment is causing deafness...too much so to justify a vet continuing to prescribe it to patients (especially senior dogs in which the risk is all so much greater)!!

Bottom line: Took her there for a routine exam, and ended up with a handicapped dog! We are in the process of reporting this incident at state and local levels to ensure we do everything possible to prevent this medicine from ruining another dog's life!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

What a scam!!!!!! Buyer beware!!!! Two years ago, I adopted a pet from a shelter and took her to Banfield to make sure she had her shots and was healthy. I was talked into taking out a pet policy which I paid $65.00 a month for 1 year. I just received a collection notice from an agency that my account has been turned for collection. I never received any notice or calls from anyone to notify me or give me any options. I just called to see what the billing was all about and was told that my policy automatic renewed for another year. I have lived at my current address for 2 years and was told the billing was going to the wrong address. I have had the same phone number for 8 years and no calls. Obviously, the collection has my correct address and phone number! If I don't pay an additional $304.00, it will be reported on my credit report. I have paid hundreds on this account.......BEWARE!!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

Was 15 min. Early for 1st appt. Was checked in by techs. Ten left in a room with a very nervous puppy for 30 min. NOBODY CAME IN. I finally left, as the dog was showing signs of potty break need. The receptionist wanted me to wait a little longer so she could bill me for services unrendered. LOL. I left. Oh by the way the roads were getting worse, as it was raining and sleeting. A little consideration would have gone a long way. Let me know why I am waiting so long. Offer me an opportunity to walk the puppy after an hour and fifteen minutes. (You'd think a vet would realize that a 3 month old pup needs to go frequently). VERY Dissatisfied with this facility. Will not give a good recommendation.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

After joining my pet what they call insurance, I took my pet. The doctor told me that if didn't take my pet to a hospital she will crash any minute, that she will only have may be 4 or 5 hours to live. She was pushing me to take her to a hospital where a friend of this lady veterinarian works, because I went with my husband and he had to go to work. She has the nerve to tell me to let my husband take a taxi and I should go to the hospital immediately. For some reason I didn't believe her. We went straight home and called this other vet. doctor, and yes my pet has diabetes but it was not an emergency. I took her the next day to this other doctor and everything was fine. I have to paid $41.00 extra for other exam that according to her was not covered.

After four months I received a call from a collection agency saying that I have a debt with Banfield Hospital of $311.46. I couldn't believe it. I paid it and call Banfield Hospital, and as per them they couldn't collect the monthly payment of my pet insurance because the bank has denied the payment. I called the bank and it was not true. They never call me or even sent notifications about this. I end up paying the insurance for the whole year and because they couldn't not collect the monthly insurance payment, they cancel the account. They never gave me a contract, everything was done through the phone. DO NOT GET THIS INSURANCE FOR YOUR PET, AND IF YOU DO, TELL THEM TO GIVE A CONTRACT. THIS INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER MUCH FOR YOUR PET, YOU ARE BETTER OFF TAKING YOUR PET TO A PRIVATE VET. THEY ARE OVERCHARGING.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

I signed up for Banfield Deluxe Wellness Plan which included a spade for my puppy late that year. I signed up Sept 4,2014. By October I began complaining to all the correct tel numbers to request a refund because The Banfield Vets in Natomas in Sacramento were really quite poor. I only received unhelpful comments like, "oh we do not give refunds ever." So for an entire year Sept. 4, 2014- Sept 4, 2015 I am expected to pay for $560 for mid October, 2014-Apr 4, 2014 even though I will never step foot in a Banfield Hospital again. There are a number of truly excellent Sacramento Vets that are honest and fair. I moved to Natomas and thought I would try Banfield. My puppy almost died under Banfield care. I had to spend $1200 at Vista Vet Hospital for them to save my puppies life. One Vet at Banfield Natomas does not speak English fluently and it is impossible to understand him. According to the woman greeting customers for check, he is the best. If this is the case then there is no hope for competent care at Banfield.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

I really do hate Banfield! They get you to join the wellness plan so you're stuck paying 60 a month for two cats then if you give them away too bad! You're still stuck paying the bill. Okay I get that but then I asked if I could put one of my other cats on the plan to take over and they said no it's only good for the cat that you signed up for. Then I take my 11 year old cat in there this afternoon for thyroid test because they said they would not renew her thyroid medicine unless they took another blood test, and as usual they come out and tell me that they also have to do a senior blood work panel for another $144 or they won't be able to make much sense of the thyroid blood work! Uuhhh what??!! So I tell him I don't have that money and they said well then they will only approve one month worth of thyroid meds.

Then I tell them if I can't get the thyroid medicine my cat will die so you might as well quote me for one euthanize. They tell me no the doctor won't do that for you under the circumstances! And might I add 2 months ago while being on the wellness plan for my two kittens, which states clearly that when you get them sprayed or neutered it is covered, they tried to charge me $800 and it was only after I argued that I am on a wellness plan I came back to pick up the kittens and lo and behold it was now under $100! Doesn't that sound crooked?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

The worst Vet experience in my life! I've been hung up on requesting records. My dogs were dropped off for care and I picked them up before (thankfully) they could see a vet - the bill was nearly $400. I have never experienced a more rude, more unprofessional office staff than the staff at Banfield Newnan Ga. I was given an appt then told I couldn't keep it - the vet didn't have time (this is a week in advance mind you). I was told "it is not safe, or in the best interest of your pet to drop them off." Excuse me… “Isn't that what you people do is deal with pets and animals ALL DAY LONG??”

I was left with the impression that the staff was not properly trained to handle pets they've not seen before. I've called the corp offices to complain, however… they were just as rude as the staff members. Today I called PetSmart. They however, do care. Their reputation is tied to Banfield. I would never recommend Banfield to anyone who cares and loves their pet, and I will not spend my money at PetSmart for supporting, and partnering with these people!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

I worked at Banfield as a veterinarian, and was appalled that the other doctor already there took anywhere from 2-4 hours to spay a dog, kept a patient under anesthesia for 7 hours (!) for a dental and some extractions.. which a technician ended up doing. Other surgical procedures also took way too long, putting the pets at risk under such lengthy anesthesia. This is ineptitude at its highest. I requested a peer review, because this clearly is a violation of Oregon State Board Minimum standards. Instead of getting this "vet" into some training, I was terminated. Banfield clearly has no regard for the patients under its care. Don't go there, this "doctor" is a danger to pets.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

On Friday October 24th, I paid total charges of $740.88. "My part after my discounts" with my debit card to have my dogs teeth cleaned, get heart worm preventive for a year, and have my 11 yr old dogs back looked at. The next day I realized I had been overcharged for $191.00. I was told by them that banking was tricky and it would take 7-10 days to get my money back, which after 10 days, I finally did. After further review of my bill, I discovered I had been charged $92.00 for a 3rd party x-ray fee, in addition to tons of x ray fees. The x ray of my dog's back was never shown to me. I have been a loyal customer of the Banfield location in downtown Ft Worth since they opened, 10+ years. I was told it would cost almost $700 to cancel my plan for both my dogs. Their carelessness, greed and in my opinion unethical practice led to this. They won't get another dime from me. I will pay my attorney to deal with these crooks.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

I am angry for my friend. She took her two-year-old cat to Banfield Port Charlotte for a teeth cleaning and the cat died. After all the dust had cleared, the evidence showed obvious blatant wrongdoing and incompetent veterinary care for this innocent cat. My friend's dog did not fare that well either. However he did survive after being ill for quite some time. I have also heard from my local pet food store in St. Pete of 3 other incidents that animals were harmed under Banfield's care. This information needs to be put out there so other unsuspecting consumers and animals will be informed and not have to suffer any kind of harm or heartbreak.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

I am not one to complain for anything, I have always been a grin and deal with it kind of person, but when it comes to the health of my pets I will not tolerate mediocrity. On Sunday morning I adopted a young dog and because my usual vet was closed I took her to the Banfield Vet Clinic in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, because I wanted to make sure she had a clean bill of health before I brought her home and introduced her to my other pets. The receptionist was very nice as well as the Vet Tech. and the Vet himself, they did a fecal smear and dewormed her because we solicited the service despite the fact that according to them she had no parasites. They were adamant in the fact that she was in perfect health with no parasites, tick or skin lesions. We exited and paid our ridiculous vet bill of $95 for a physical exam but my mother felt pleased because they had told us she was perfectly healthy.

A few minutes later we got home and as my mother was prepping her area I noticed the had a little bump in her neck, upon checking her I noticed she was covered in ticks and had scabs all over her body, so I spent the next 3 hours removing ticks and cleaning scabs, later that night I noticed her belly becoming bloated, her getting mucous diarrhea, and shivering. Because I was concerned I decide that I had to take her on Monday to my regular vet. Surprise not only had they missed a lot of ticks and bloody scabs they also completely missed the fact that she had hookworms. PERFECT. My vet said that was also given a wrong dosage of deworming solution but that she would be okay.

My advice, Banfield is more expensive that they make it seem. They are negligent and mediocre in their examination and as a responsible pet parent I would not go there, rather I would find a local vet that is more capable. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful or mean but if you cant find a tick or a parasite in a fecal smear you are either not capable of performing your duties or need to be more conceit of what you are doing. What if my dog would have had something more serious and put in danger my other pets, I don't even want to think what a surgery with them must be like. None the less I like PetSmart they offer a variety of product and their staff is excellent but I am extremely disappointed with their vet services, mediocre health care providers is something that is unacceptable, putting animals health and lives at risk is negligent. Get your stuff together.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

Hello, I have been paying you all for the highest tier plan for my dog. Dr ** in the Surprise, AZ Banfield hospital diagnosed my dog with Cushing's disease on Monday. She promised me that she would do some research and call me back the next day with a treatment plan. It is now Sunday night and I have called MULTIPLE times and left MULTIPLE messages and she will NOT call me back.

I will not waste my time describing the other instances of issues I've had with Banfield since we've signed up with your program. There have been SERIOUS issues there. One of your vets actually acts as if she smokes and is high while in the exam room. Of COURSE you all want people to sign a binding agreement forcing us to pay you hundreds of dollars for treatment. Because that's the only way you'd make money. If you ACTUALLY had to get paid based on your competence, you would have closed years ago.

I am letting you know that effective today, I WILL NO LONGER pay you another cent of my money for you to let my dog sit here and die from a disease he will have to live with while you refuse to give me a treatment plan. I wouldn't trust a single thing that came from you at this point anyway. Your doctors are incompetent and your business plan is sneaky and misleading. Effective immediately, I am blocking all future payments for this "wellness plan" (more like "let us charge you thousands of dollars so we can tell you your dog is sick and let him die" plan). My husband is driving to Banfield right now to get my dog's records so we can bring him somewhere that will actually try to help us. You are being reported to the BBB and I'm submitting reviews on yelp, google and every other place humanly possible.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

I've always been a client of Banfield, until today that is. I always took my pet for everything there, I kept going because I love Dr. **. After she left, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep going there, and I did for a while. Today, my dog injured her paw. We had no idea what happened. She was out playing (and yes we were watching her that's why we got so scared, because it happened all of the sudden). So we didn't know if it was a spider bite or what. She was shaking, crying, licking her paw, she was OBVIOUSLY in a lot of a pain. And one vet was outside so I asked her, "it is an emergency. I don't know what's going on, can you check her please?" She said, "do you have an appointment?" So my answer was “no, It was an accident.” So she said, “then I can't help you.” So the front receptionist asked what was going on. I told her, and I asked, “can anyone see her please? Just look at her!” And she said: "we don't take care of emergencies here," so no.

So I had to drive looking for another place to check my pet. I finally did and they saw her the moment I walked in since they saw that she was in so much pain. So I can promise you, I WILL NEVER go back to that hospital. Never in my life I've felt so angry! I called to ask another Banfield and told them what happened (just to see if it was true they don't see emergency patients) and they said they had to see her. But of course I didn't go back and will not go back ever again to that Banfield. And if they don't take patients with emergencies, they should take down the "we take care of emergencies first" paper they have on the window.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

DO NOT USE their memberships. We signed up for the puppy membership a year ago thinking it would help save us money. They charged us twice in the first month and it took many long phone calls and visits to the office to get it straightened out. We switched to another office in our area after feeling like the staff at the first office was completely incompetent. At the new office, we would wait easily an hour plus in the waiting room to see a vet for less than five minutes. I figured we would stick it out and switch to a different vet when the plan was up in a year. Well a few weeks ago they said we were scheduled for her last puppy check up. After sitting and waiting for quite some time, we were told they were giving her multiple shots some of which were not due for another month. Shots that we would not have given except we thought it was part of her puppy plan. On our way out we were told we owed nothing, so we thought everything was covered as her last visit on her puppy plan.

A couple of weeks later a $25 charge showed up on our bank account. We called to find out why we were being charged and were told the puppy planned had rolled over into an adult plan WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION and that it was written into the contract that they did not have to notify you. When we indicated we did not want the adult plan and wanted to cancel, we were told we would then owe the balance of our last visit which was somewhere around $300. Or we could stay on the adult plan for the next 10 months and pay $250 over the course of those months. Basically we are locked into staying on their plan for another year. Three phones calls later with no apology or attempt to fix their broken system. I went to Banfield for their convenient hours, but I will take vacation days to take my dogs somewhere else in the future after the experiences we have had there the past year.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

I have wellness plans on 3 dogs. The hospital did not tell me that my dog was due for all her shots until she was seriously past due. Once I made an appt and brought her in, they informed me that my plan had expired two days earlier and that I would now have to pay full price for the shots. It was their fault for not letting me know the shots were overdue.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

On Oct. 23/14 my dog was having eye irritation and very lethargic. I have the Wellness Insurance through Banfield, we decided to have him check by the Doctors at Banfield in Saint Augustine. My dog is now blind because they don't have a working equipment to check my dog eye. They flush it and gave us an ointment and charge us $198.00. After three days my dog was still lethargic and in so much pain. Oct 28, we bring him there again and they could not figure out what is wrong. We mention to both Doctors that it might be Glaucoma or Cataract. They said no but go see an Ophthalmologist. We took him to see an eye doctor and it was too late.

My dog already lost his eyesight because two doctors at Banfield could not diagnose something so common as Glaucoma. My dog is now requiring his eye to be remove. I file a complaint to their Office and the Manager Shelly who called me refused to own their mistake and take responsibilities for lack of knowledge and working equipment. She was quite rude and blaming me for not taking my dog to a specialist. I told her “I trusted your Hospital.” I am very upset that this so called Hospital is operating without the proper working equipment and experience Doctors.

I wanted to cancel my membership except they refused and told me to pay the remaining balance of $170.00. There are so many complaints against them and still in Business. They rip people off with their so called Wellness Program. They harm their clients and don't have the decency to own and make things right for their customers. I hope they feel the pain of my dog when karma comes around. If they have the proper equipment and knowledge, his eyesight would have been save to release the pressure and pain he suffered. Now my dog lost his eyesight and required to have his eye remove.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

They'll sign you up for a wellness plan with the promise of saving you tons of money and forget to mention that it’s a mandatory 12 month program. They also give you the impression that everything is included, but somehow… you'll always end up spending money every time you take them to their "included vet check". When you finally realize they are overcharging you and you call to cancel the plan, because you realize you would rather spend less and give the money to a local vet who won't overcharge you or treat your animal for unnecessary reasons, you will be told to bend over and grab your knees by a sassy (not the fun sassy) rep who tells you "IT’S UNDER THE AGREEMENT".

You know, the one they give you after you sign up for the plan that you're told will save you money during your animals exam. The exam where they tell you the long list and costs off all the things your poor rescued street kitten will need. You wanna do the right thing, and so you sign up thinking they have you and your animal’s best interest at heart. Their cold, dead, black, shriveled corporate heart...

So, you tell the sassy rep that all of these hidden costs nor the 12-month agreement were explained to you and you weren't given the agreement to read beforehand. The ever so helpful rep will let you know that you have the convenient option to either pay out the remainder of your contract in full or continue the plan until the contract is up. Well, of course you're going to continue the contract because why would you give someone a lump sum of money and then give more money to another vet. Let’s get something straight, the people who work here are friendly and have a great smile... but so did Ted Bundy. Even Satan side eyes this company. SO TAKE MY MONEY! Me and my cat don’t need to eat, but ask yourself... Who’s the real animal here? GOOD DAY!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

Our bill for our one dog is normally $41.95 and taken out of our account every month on the 5th. We recently checked our bank account because we were trying to pay for something but were denied. As we looked at our account we saw that a transaction for $61.95 was taken out today November 12, 2014. We looked to see if we were charged the same amount the month before and we were but on October 14, 2014. We called the Banfield hospital that we go to for our dog and they did not see any late fees pending or such and were also confused as to why the amount was $61.95 and not taken out on the 5th.

We were given the phone number to contact corporate and so we did. When we were directed to billing we were told that the reason for being charged was due to the fact that they tried to bill us $41.95 on the 5th but our bank denied the transaction due to insufficient funds and that there is a $20 fee to charge again. We were never told about this when we had signed up for our plan and we were never given a form stating this fee. The woman on the phone was rude. We asked why we weren't contacted about this transaction being denied on both accounts of October 14, 2014 and November 12, 2014. She rudely said that "we don't feel the need to do this because it is the customer's responsibility to keep track of their funds!" Which is right but we do keep track and we were never informed of this being a possibility during a payment!

We are very furious with the customer service given to us and we are very frustrated with the fact that we weren't given this information when we had signed up for this pet plan some time in the month of September. We also feel that we should have been informed of this transaction being denied so we can see what was wrong with our funds in the first place. Also, why did the person we first called at our Banfield pet hospital see this on the transaction history of any late fees!?

Banfield corporation needs to prioritize their customers over their funds! And we should not have to stress over this happening again. We are no longer going to continue business with Banfield! Although, we enjoyed our time at our pet hospital in the time we did, but for customer service to be so rude and us not being informed of this happening we are very frustrated and furious with Banfield Corporation!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I saw Patricia ** for my visit because the actual vet was unavailable. My dog had her weight and temperature taken as well as her heartbeat, all of which my husband, a doctor, could have done at home. Patricia took a look at my dog's tick bite - previously, most of the tick was taken out at night time by my husband. She said there's nothing she can do about whatever is left in there unless she is sleeping. I know that costs more money and she said she can give me ointment. I told her I can get the same ingredients of medication over the counter for a cheaper price. I asked why I'm paying $50.00 for a 10-minute visit when nothing actually got done to resolve the issue. She said, "Well, I did do an exam on her." No she didn't. Everything she did, I do at my own home.

Patricia needs to learn how to consult. She could have easily come out and said there's nothing that can really be done and let me make the decision of whether or not I still want my dog's weight and temperature taken. I am in a very high position myself, and when someone has a simple question, I don't charge them. I just advise/consult them and that's the end of it. Banfield has lost my business and this is just the beginning of my complaint. Next, I will be going to the internet. Everyone will know that Patricia is unhelpful and it's obvious she is not compassionate by the way her tone was towards me. It's highly advisable that Patricia learn to explain ingredients and why something can't be done instead of stumbling words and looking at a customer with a stone-cold face. Enough on this website. I will ensure everyone knows that this sort of practice is unacceptable. Consult - Advise - Educate. Not, Weight-Temperature-Heart-rate-$50.00.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I opened my Banfield charter hospital ten years ago with a contract that promised me another ten years if I performed and lived up to the agreed-upon contract. I have and I did. Banfield is stealing my hospital today in Knoxville, TN by not renewing my contract as previously promised. I have turned it into a very profitable hospital and what they are doing is stealing my hospital.

I now have to spend thousands of dollars on attorney's fees and my time to try to regain what is rightfully mine. Mars, Inc., the candy company, bought Banfield a few years ago and they are trying to steal all of the Banfield charters from their founding veterinarians. This is an important issue within the veterinary community and it should be told.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

I took my 10 pound chihuahua Chico to the Banfield Citrus Park in Tampa, Florida last week. I dropped him off in perfect health and when I picked him up, he had a limp. Upon bringing him back to the office, it was found via x-Ray he has a fractured toe. Since, Banfield is claiming no responsibility. It clearly happened in their care and all I asked was for them to cover the $300 bill. Small in comparison to the 11+ year relationship I had with them. All I asked was for them to do the right thing. I am taking my story to the world and anyone who will listen.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

I requested an appointment for 11/8 at 10:15 three days before. When I didn't get a confirmation email, I called on Friday 11/7 to confirm the appointment but they didn't open for 30 mins. I left a message to ask them to confirm it. Finally on 11/8 to check once again if my appointment was in place. After being transferred 3 times, it was explained to me that they didn't have that time but could do it at 12. I told them I would have to confirm it with other things going on. I asked for an explication for such a miscommunication. She then told me that since I was a new client they didn't have all my information. I understand being a new client but they had my phone number from the appointment request and the message I left. This was such poor customer service. I canceled my appointment.

If I can't even trust them with an appointment, there is no way I could trust them with my puppy. When I called to cancel, I told her I was canceling it because of the poor customer service. She said "Thank you" and hung up. No apology or asking for a further explanation. If this is standard for a new customer, I don't even want to imagine what it is like for a regular.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information