Animals and Things

Woodbridge, NJ

Compare Pet Stores

Research top Pet Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I guess I must have been one of the lucky ones that got a semi-healthy pet a few years ago. My Yorkie was shy, and had bloodshot eyes that I didn't notice until I got home. I was just desperate to finally have a puppy, and it was a better option than getting one from Fancy Pups, I think. Despite her bloodshot eyes, she was pretty healthy compared to all the other dogs I saw on this website. Even though she wasn't properly socialized and had bloodshot eyes, she cost $1100. I'm guessing I didn't get her from a puppy mill because she cost so much. Also, my Yorkie wasn't naturally shy. We bought her around nighttime, so when I woke up next morning, she went berserk. She was jumping off the walls, and literally crashed into a wall pretty hard while running. I'm ashamed to say I laughed, but nothing really happened. But that's not the reason I'm giving it a 1 star rating.

A year ago, I bought 2 goldfish, and within 2 weeks of getting them, they died. I'm a sensitive person, so I was heartbroken when the first one died and the second followed quickly after. But the real reason I'm writing this is because I've heard they're not selling pets anymore. Finally! I was sick of seeing the Guinea pigs, rats, mice, chinchillas, fish, dogs and cats in tiny cages with a huge number of rodents and ferrets sharing a cage that's not even fit for 1 animal. I'd like to think the reason they finally got attention and shut down is because my little sister actually wrote a letter (or tried to) to the President. Sure, it was a 1-3 years since then, but the president is a busy man. Although it's probably not likely that Animals and Things got shut down for that, it's a nice idea.

This place needs to be shut down! The animals are not taken care of properly. Full grown dogs and cats in small, dirty cages with no room for exercise. Dirty fish tanks with numerous dead fish in the saltwater and freshwater tanks. Rodent, Rabbit & Ferret cages that stink. Bird cages that are filthy. A sign up asking for kittens to be donated that they turn around and sell for $149 apiece. Full size Persian cats being sold as kittens. They need to be cited for fraud, neglect and negligence!

I bought a puppy at Animals and Things back in Jan. '13. Before I chose which puppy I wanted, I was browsing and they all look so scared and underfed! When I finally chose my puppy, the lady got him out and handed him to me. He was shaking and scared and I could feel nothing but his ribs and backbone sticking out! I asked the lady about his weight. She told me he was full grown (he was 7 months) and wouldn't get any bigger. Full grown for his breed is 14-20 pounds. I weighed him right after we got him and he was barely 9 pounds! After getting him home he was scared of everything, and always jumped back away from things like he had been abused before I bought him. Later found out he did come straight from a puppy mill. 1st pic was when I brought him home. 2nd pic was a couple of weeks ago. But they fed him the correct amount of food and fed him every day? I don't see how.

This place has to be the most unfair and have the most inexperienced sales people out there. I purchased a fish from these guys (small fish) and asked them if it was okay for me to add this fish to my current tank (I have larger fish in my current tank). The sales associate told me it may be a risk (another words, he didn't know). Their refund policy stinks and they have too many inexperienced salespeople working there. Plus, their service stinks as well.

Animals and Things in Woodbridge should be shut down. Their animals are not healthy and the conditions there are awful. It smells horrible. The cages are dirty. The animals are not taken care of properly. The staff stands around and talks while these conditions exist. I saw a Pomeranian in a cage for over six months. The dog was going crazy. It is so sad. I cannot even go in there anymore. Please close this awful place down and spare this poor, mistreated animals. People I know have purchased very sick animals from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Animals and Things?

Horrible service and sick shrimp - I have been shopping here on and off for years. I recently decided to stop in, and I ended picking up some fresh water shrimp. I spent good money there, only to have almost all the shrimp die off in the first week. I decided I was stuck now because you need a group of these guys to make it work. So I tried my luck and bought a few more against my better judgment, only to have them die off again. When I approached the manager he couldn’t care less. There was a bunch of babies in the one tank, so I thought maybe they were healthier, and he can give them to me at a cheaper rate because they were babies. He made me wait to talk to him for twenty minutes while he sat there talking with other employees about nonsense, only to say sorry, if it’s in the tank, it’s $5. The quality of fish is horrible, and I should have known better not to waste my money there. Do not waste your time.

I have never seen such terrible circumstances for all of the animals that were there. The staff socialized at the front while urine littered the floors. The animals were without food and water. And the place smelled of sickness. Numerous people have filed complaints for this place. I am wondering what action has been taken. It breaks my heart to see these animals in such horrid conditions.

I purchased a German Shepherd on 11/26/2010. When I brought it home, the dog has diarrhea. Since then it has been 14 days since I got her. I went to the store the next day to tell them she is sick. One of the employees told me she is getting used to her new family and that is normal for a German Shepherd to do that.

Then I went two days after to complaint again. I told them she is still sick and now she is bleeding. They told me it is mostly because she is still getting used to the family, they get nervous and because she has diarrhea that's why she is bleeding. Don't worry, give her rice and she will be okay. Then a couples days more it's been 14 days, they told me to take her to the vet and they will pay for the bill. Then they checked her now, they did blood work. She has an infection plus the doctor did an x-ray and said she ate something and she needed a surgery.

When I went back to the pet store they told me that they can't invest me the money, they can do nothing about it because the dog ate something and is not from the store problem. But I told him I've been coming here complaining about the diarrhea and they want to clean their hands by saying that she ate something in my house, which is not true. They have this vet doctor and I think they both clean their hands by saying that she had something in her stomach and they are not sure if she ate this in the store or in my house but since the day I bought the dog, it's been bleeding and with diarrhea!

Please I need help! I just don't know what to do or where to go. What I don't understand is, she has been with diarrhea since day one and now they want to clean their hands. Now he doesn't want to give my money back. I'm sure she didn't eat nothing from my house because since day one she has been with diarrhea!

I received a rabbit from this pet store as a gift. The store provided absolutely no information about the baby rabbit - age, sex, breed, previous veterinary care or where the animal had come from. The store is negligent to provide consumers with any type of care information for the animals - including the rabbit. This obviously should not replace the owners' responsibility to research animal care.

However as the store claims to be experts in animal husbandry, they should care enough to provide basic care instructions. The negligence became the most evident when the rabbit died suddenly 10 days after I received her, apparently from parasites (veterinary diagnosis).

Hi, my name is Erica and I am writing to you in regard to a pet store, Animals and Things, in Woodbridge, NJ. Their cruel and inhumane treatment toward their animals and other livestock is beyond words. Here is my story:

On Aug. 13th 2007, I bought a 9 week old baby ferret from them, which I named Kingston. One week later I took him to the vet for a check-up and his distemper shot. He was feisty but the vet did not see anything visibly wrong with him.

A few days later I noticed Kingston was having seizures. I brought him vet and they checked his glucose to make sure he was not diabetic. The results came out fine and I brought him home. Kingston continued to have seizures the rest of the day so I brought him to a small and exotic animal specialist for further examination. They informed me that Kingston may have lymphoma of the brain, a fatal disease for young ferrets. They gave me some medicine and formula to feed him and told be to bring him back in 5 days and they would have to results of his lab work. Kingston did not make it to then. The next day he was having such bad seizures you could hear him screaming and shaking down the street.

It was Sunday and all the veterinarian offices were closed, so I rushed him down to Red Bank Animal Hospital in NJ. They had their exotic specialist examine him and said there was nothing they could do for him, what he had was not treatable. I had to put my baby Kingston to sleep because I could not bear to see him in so much pain. That was on September 2, 2007.

I went to Animals and Things the next day, with all of my paperwork, vet bills and a letter from a licensed veterinarian stating that this animal was UNFIT for sale, due to a congenital defect that was incurable. They said there was nothing they could do, their return policy is 7 days and it had been 2 weeks at that point. I asked them what they would have done in my situation and the manager, Gordon McRay, basically told me I should have let him die. He told me there was no reason for me to take him to a vet. Abandoning a sick or injured animal to die is illegal in the state of NJ. I would have thought someone in the business of selling animals would know that and actually care about the animals they are selling and their customers. I was wrong!

So far to this date September 11, 2007, I have not heard back from Animals and Things or Marshall Farms, the Co. where Kingston was bread. I am $2,000 in debt from Kingstons medical bills and all I have heard is horror stories from other people who purchased animals from Animals and Things, which were UNFIT for sale.

I really hope you consider airing this story. I think it will save consumers a lot of money and heartbreak if they knew how cruel this place really is!

we purchased a lab puppy on march 6th for my sons 7th birthday.. we took him back for a well check up they said he had kennel cough which is very common they said gave some meds then 3 days later he was sicker so i wentto the vet he got 3 different meds. that was on 3-11-04 by sunday 3-15-04 the puppy had almost died we was admitted into red bank animal hospital with pneumonia where he stayed for 6 days.i would be very very careful purchasing any pet at this store..

Animals and Things Company Profile