4.48/5
  • 1 star
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 14, 2017

22 Alpo Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I bought the Alpo cat food initially because it was inexpensive and I was on a tight budget. I did look at the cat food bag and the food did still have basic essentials for my cat’s health. I got home and tried the food and my cat seemed to like the food. He does not complain or push away the food. My cat is very picky and will not eat some cat food, even some that are more expensive than this brand, so for him to eat it without complaint was good and I will buy it again.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I like the easy open cans and my cat liked it. The packaging makes Alpo stand out in the store so I can easily find it. It is readily available locally and almost any local store has carries the brand. The packaging is also appealing. I personally dislike the smell of the cat food but my cat seems to absolutely love it and the smell dissipates so it is worth it for the cat to have something she likes. My cat loves this food especially the fish based ones. My expectations were met by this product. I am happy as long as the cat likes it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Alpo has a variety of flavors. My kitty cat Shadow is rather picky but he loves and enjoys them all; especially the seafood flavors. Alpo is affordable and super easy to find at any retailer or pet store. They also offer wet and dry food. It is trustworthy, innovative and yummy.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

It offers real meat and good nutrition, and has a great value. It is a taste my cat seems to enjoy and has helped manage his weight. He gets excited when he sees the bag. But there are some additive preservatives can be harmful to my cat and you never know what brands are telling the truth. The bag is flimsy and tears and breaks easily. But the price is very hard to beat and they offer a wide variety of flavors.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Depending on my cats mood we buy different varieties. I mainly buy Alpo because of the price I find it for. And locating it is also very easy. I have found it in just about every store that sells cat food. I’m yet to find a store that doesn’t carry it. Certain flavors my cat seems uninterested at and I end up wasting money on it. But my cat likes it for the most part. Sometimes my dog even seems to like it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alpo Cat Food?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

My cat likes the pate and I mix it with the dry Purina cat food so he eats it. I wish it wouldn't stick to the dish as bad as it does and I have to scrub the bowl every time. It smells like ground liver and looks like a can of crap but since my cat likes it I give it to him. He is a picky eater for a fat cat. He doesn't even eat tuna water. But my cat likes Alpo and I can afford it so I think it is a good value because I don't want to waste it if my cat won't eat it. I don't want any leftover food if he does not eat it.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I like that the ingredients are good for my pets and my pets love the taste. This product is easy to find and is sold in most stores that sale cat and dog food. But there are rarely discounts that I can find. I wish it was more affordable and it's hard finding coupons for this brand. But when I do, it's worth getting because it's good cat food.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I like the color of the packaging of Alpo Cat Food; it is appealing to me. Alpo is a good brand if you are on a budget. The only thing that kind of concerns me is the animal by-products in the ingredients, which is to be expected with any affordable cat foods. However my cats have no ill effects of the foods. I have never had any problems with this cat food and my cats eat all of it. And it fits within my budget. I trust this brand and I would recommend this product to any cat owner.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

My cat seems to enjoy Alpo very much. It has helped her receive better digestion as well. We have tried multiple brands in the past and my cat got sick off of so many products. Alpo is the first product where my cat hasn't gotten sick after eating it. She comes running when she hears me getting her dinner ready. The quality, the packaging, and overall pricing for the quality isn't bad at all. I will continue to use this product with her.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My vet gave me some Alpo Cat food as a sample. I was informed that it is one of the healthiest products on the market and the store that I purchased Alpo in recommended it highly. The current cat food is very healthy for my cat and he really enjoys eating it. Although the price is a little expensive, it is very convenient and my cat likes it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I have young and senior cats and they all seem to love Alpo and be happy and healthy eating it. It makes their fur soft and shiny, and the price is right. But would maybe like it available in bigger bags at the stores as I have several cats and big bags allow me to purchase less often.

Original review: July 31, 2017

First and foremost I like the fact that my cat enjoys the Alpo Cat Food which is surprising given the fussiness of my cat's tastes. It has pretty good ingredients for my cat and she does not have any digestion issues with this product. That is very important too. However, I wish it were cheaper. But other than that, this cat food has met my and my cat's expectations because she likes it so much.

Original review: July 30, 2017

The Alpo Cat Food is a good food for cats, easy to find, available at most stores and is usually affordable. My cats seem to really enjoy the food products that Alpo makes. The brand is well-known and can be trusted to provide a good product. Many veterinarians even recommend this brand. One should really consider giving this brand a try. Alpo could use a little less cheap ingredients though.

Original review: July 29, 2017

My cat seems to like the texture of the food as it provides the crunchiness needed for his teeth. It comes in a variety of flavors that he seems to enjoy. It tends to be packaged in heavy quantities, which makes it difficult to carry from a store to my house. Perhaps if they offered smaller bags, it would be more accessible. Overall, I chose it over the price, which was a reasonable, and potential benefit for my cat. Also, my cat seemed to like it, which is one of the major reasons why I continue to buy the brand.

Original review: July 28, 2017

The quality of the cat food is premium. It has very healthy ingredients and the cat enjoys the taste very much. Most stores in my area carry this brand so it is easy to find as well. It contains great ingredients and you get what you pay for so therefore the food tends to be on the more expensive side. My cat loves this brand, so it is worth the expense to purchase it. They are getting healthy ingredients with it as well. I would definitely recommend it to a friend to at least try it with their pet.

Original review: July 23, 2017

It's a brand name food, good and my cat really likes the taste of the food as well as don't get sick. Also texture seems to be really good and not really hard for the cat to eat it. I really like the food but sometimes some bags of food are more grainy than others and I don’t like that as it makes a mess all over the floor when cat eating the food. Food is good and taste good as Socks really likes it when I put it out for her. She comes running to eat.

Original review: July 22, 2017

It’s great quality and my cats always enjoy it. They are quite picky, so I am pleased that this product satisfies them. They are very pleased with it and always finish their food. However, the price is too high and the brand would have more consumers if the price were lower. I will still continue to purchase this product despite the price.

Original review: July 21, 2017

The Alpo Cat food is healthy for my cat and he likes it. He's never rejected it. It seems easy for him to digest and it makes his fur shiny. Also, it's readily available most places. It's expensive but there are others more expensive. This is an affordable cat food that they really like. Their stomach seems to handle it well.

Original review: July 20, 2017

The packaging of the Alpo cat food is easy to open, well designed, and it stores easily without taking up a large amount of space. The flavor variety is desirable and unique. Our cat loves every option there is. The prices of this food are very comparable to other brands on the market too. The only thing I dislike about this brand of cat food is the odor. It has this awful smell that is very off-putting. The cat seems to like it so I tolerate it but really it's quite repulsive. Other than that, you should try this cat food I got. My cat can't get enough of it.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Before buying Alpo my cat would throw up everything he consumed. My vet recommended Alpo cat food and I love it because my cat doesn't have stomachache with it. It is easily digestible and my cat always loves it. Even though it is pricey it is very much worth the price. It has always been my number one go-to brand.

Original review: July 16, 2017

This Alpo cat food is healthy. It’s full of vitamins, nutritious ingredients and minerals that are essential to my growing cat’s needs. I enjoy this cat food because it has been around a long time and is a trusted brand.

Original review: April 5, 2007

I had to take my cat to the vet 1 month ago for her behavior of not eating, drinking, and loosing 5+ pounds. After all the tests and 1,000.00+ dollars spent on her she has permanent kidney damage and is in renal failure and has to receive I.V> fluids subcutaneous the rest of her life and take medication everyday to help her keep her specific food down. Her specific food cost 18.00 a bag and it is a small bag and routine blood work to see how her kidneys are doing.

Alpo Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Alpo Cat Food offers products cats need for optimal health and happiness in all stages of life, while running a company that believes in quality ingredients and sustainable operations. Alpo cat products include wet food, dry food and treats to deepen that special bond between a feline and its owner.

• Live chat capabilities: Alpo Cat Food offers customers the opportunity to connect with a cat food advisor who can offer the perfect selection for their furry friend.

• Different price points: The company markets its products to fit all budgets.

• Online matrix: This online feature helps determine which product is best for a specific cat, in case owners are unable to chat with an online advisor.

• Informational articles: Helpful topics guide owners to better understand their cat's behavior, health and overall wellness.

• Dietary restrictions: The company offers options for owners with cats that have certain dietary needs or restrictions.

• Online resources: The website helps people determine what breed of cat is best for their lifestyle, and it provides crash courses in finding the best breed of cat.

• Best for: Budget-conscious pet owners, active kittens and nutrition conscience pet owners.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Alpo Cat Food Company Information